• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Book 1: Alexios II Komnenos
Prologue
Author's note​
Dear reader, I must now offer my apologizes. The years between 1178 and 1186 are sparsely mentioned in this chronicle for a simple reason, there are sparse sources for it. During the events of the Latin Riots, which I shall attempt to detail below, parts of the Imperial Archives were destroyed, containing the personal records of both Saint Sophia and her son Alexios. In addition to this great loss, many noble mansion and manors in the western Empire were also sacked, leaving my access only to sources of the second or third hand. Later scholars may be able to pierce the darkness that covers these years, but that is to be seen. For now, let us return to the tale of Alexios, beginning with the aforementioned Latin riots

The years between the death of Saint Sophia and the Wars of Reconquest were very turbulent for the Empire. The grand religious experiment in reconciliation seemed in danger of falling apart as Catholic partisans all across the West rose up in arms against their rightful lords. Alexios was forced to put down a number of rebellions, including one in the heart of the City itself. For months, unbeknownst to Mystikos Gregorios or any of his agents, a group of German clergy had arrived in the city. They had come to preach heresy to the faithful and attempt to bring down the Empire from within. They were moderately successful in winning converts, mainly among the poor and vagrants of the City. They also began smuggling large numbers of Latin zealots into the city, promising the head of the Patriarch and Emperor, and a direct path to heaven for those who came to fight. On the first day of February in 1186 the heretics made their move, beginning with an attack on the wharves of the city.
PWdrDIX.jpg

It was a strange and terrifying affair, as mobs of heretics stormed through the city, attacking the faithful and even laying brief siege to the royal palace. All might have been lost had the Emperor not personally rallied his failing guardsmen, encouraging a last ditch charge against the mob. The streets ran red with blood as the beleaguered guardsmen hacked and slashed through the throngs of poorly armed interlopers, pushing the bulk of them into the nearby Hippodrome. This is where Alexios showed his tactical genius, as the reinforcements he had sent for now arrived behind the rioters and surrounded them in the amphitheater. Nearly a thousand Latins, along with the usual rabble that join any riot, now found themselves at the Emperors mercy, and the prospects looked bleak for them. Justinian had massacred the last group of rebels to reside in the Hippodrome, and there was no reason to expect differently this time. Thankfully for the people, Alexios was far kinder than his infamous predecessor. He also had his brother, the German Kaiser Gregorios to contend with, who was simply itching for an excuse to declare war on his younger sibling. Slaughtering a thousand Latin converts would be the perfect rallying cry for the entire heretic West to unite against the Empire, something Alexios could not afford. Instead, he sent spies among the rebels, seeking to discover the names of the leaders among them. They were successful, and the Emperor made a bargain with the rioters, the leaders would surrender and be imprisoned, and the rest would go free. This offer was shouted into the arena from all sides, along with the names of the leaders and a promise of imminent attack if the demand was not met. Twenty German clerics where quickly thrown from the crowd, looking thoroughly unhappy. The troops now moved in and began moving the crowd out of the city, to the dismay of all assembled. The Emperor's reply to their protests is recorded here“Good people, why do you protest? I said I would let you go free, I did not specify where you would go.” Four thousand people were exiled from the Empire that day, each given a mark on his or her cheek that meant instant death if they were ever to return. The leaders of the riots were never seen again, but my research reveals that they were sent to fight in the eastern deserts, imprisoned by the endless sands.

Now Alexios turned his eyes west, to the turbulent lands not under the aegis of Roman control. In Hungary the faithful were protected by the Arpad dynasty, longtime allies of the Imperial court. In exchange for their quick conversion to the True Faith, Sophia had married the only daughter of King Salamon to her heir, then Prince Alexios. The marriage was a happy one, producing a son and daughter by the time Alexios came to the throne. North of Hungary sat the kingdom of Poland, also recenlty converted from the Latin heresy. King Kasmirez feared the increasing power of the Kaiser, and decided to ally himself with the more distant Roman court, correctly surmising that the Roman court had no interest in his lands.
G5JxX2W.jpg

In the east the Russian princes fought on in their ceaseless wars against the infidels, who were now nearly united under Khan Borc of the Volga. Imperial aid and soldiers were sent north, but fighting on the steppe itself was still seen as a fools errand, and the Russians for the most part had to fend for themselves.
fODRuIR.jpg

Iberia was divided between three competing powers, the infidel Sultan Marwan, based in Marrakesh, made constant war against the Germans in Aragon and Grenada. In the north stood the small kingdom of Leon, whose king had converted to the true faith seeking military aid against the Moors. This he received, but only intermittently.
DJ8y5JN.jpg

Africa was divided in half, with Sultan Marwan controlling the West and Alexios controlling the East, while a small enclave of the Kaisers men controlled Tunis. In far off Britannia the news was sad indeed for the faithful. The English had not taken to Sophia's reforms, and aggressively stamped out the faithful wherever hey could be found. The kingdom of England fell into civil war several times, only to be unified again under the brutal King Richard de Normandie. The Welsh and Cornish lands had broken away at this time, and Scotland was firmly under the faithful King Malbride.
4W8EEKT.jpg

In frozen Scandinavia the Catholic heresy ran strong, with the kings of Norway, Sweden and Denmark professing loyalty to the Bishop of Rome, who now resided in the small monastery of Skara near the Danish border with Sweden
xPUj45E.jpg

Finally, sitting astride central and western Europe like a colossus, was the German Empire. Kaiser Gregorios had not been idle these past ten years, using the banner of holy war to annex large portions of southern Gaul back from the Moors and from the faithful. On his western border stood the duchy of Aquitaine, under the firm control of the so called Knights Templar, a group of zealous Latins dedicated to reclaiming the Holy Land from all who would keep it from them, including the Empire. Only in France did the faithful hold sway, and they cried out for aid from their brethren in the East.
1n64QgV.jpg

Alexios knew that the time for talk with the heretics was over and began his plans for war. Not a small skirmish as had been fought in years past, striking hard then withdrawing and negotiating. No, this would be a total war, fought to the bitter end and without mercy. The Wars of Reconquest were about the begin...

Last edited:
Great to see this back, Jarren! It's always good to see someone able to overcome save problems.

I'm now very much looking forward to the Wars of Reconquest. I trust they'll provide exactly the action needed to kick start the AAR again. :)

Oh, it's back now? Guess, I better re-read the entire thing!

Jokes aside, it's good to see you back in action with this AAR!

glad you are back!

So very happy you're back! :)

Ages back I thought this AAR sounded interesting but never finished because I saw it had been discontinued. Now that it has returned I've read the lot and can't wait for more! Brilliant work. :)

Great to see this back, Jarren! It's always good to see someone able to overcome save problems.

I'm now very much looking forward to the Wars of Reconquest. I trust they'll provide exactly the action needed to kick start the AAR again. :)

Oh, it's back now? Guess, I better re-read the entire thing!

Jokes aside, it's good to see you back in action with this AAR!

Read this some time ago, I'm glad it'll be coming back!

Just read the whole thing and it's great!

glad you are back!

So very happy you're back! :)

Thank you all very much. It was actually easier than i expected to fix, just had to remember what DLC's to disable and it worked

Moooooar please.

working on it :D

Ages back I thought this AAR sounded interesting but never finished because I saw it had been discontinued. Now that it has returned I've read the lot and can't wait for more! Brilliant work. :)

welcome to the show :)

Really good to see this back Jarren! Great update too-let the wars of reconquest begin!!

Glad to see you back, Jarren!

While you're at it, though, please correct the title at the very beginning of this page: I think you meant Alexios II Komnenos... ;)

For that matter, "author's note" is incorrectly spelt. :)

For that matter, "author's note" is incorrectly spelt. :)
Absolutely true, but I didn't want to sound as a total ****ole (well, at least not as a total nitpicking ****ole). :p

Wow.... I've been reading this for a couple of weeks and it's taken me ages to catch up. My heart skipped a beat when I read the message saying that it was over! But now I'm finally all caught up I can't wait for the next one. This is by far the best AAR I have ever read. Keep up the good work!

Chapter I: The Empire Prepares...
Alexios knew that the struggle to reclaim the West would require the full might of the Empire to be marshaled behind him, and that any dissension or distraction could protract or even derail his plans. The Emperors Legion was more than a match for any single force the Germans could amass, but it could no be everywhere. The German Empire could call upon large reserves of troops, and the religious nature of any conflict between Rome and Germany meant neither side could expect an easy victory. With this in mind, Alexios began a three year journey to the far corners of his Empire, both to ensure that the war preparations were underway and that his people were suitable inspired by the presence of there Emperor.

a6s6WFM.jpg

The full extent of the Empire in 1186

In late march of 1187, the Emperor crossed the Bosporus and began his trek through the cities of Anatolia. This land had been won back from the Seljuk Turks in the time of the emperors ancestor, Alexios the Great, and his son John. Manuel the Blessed had completed the work of his father, finally destroying the so called Sultanate of Rum and reclaiming the Empires heartland. Nikea and Amasia hosted the Emperor in grand style, with several days of games and feasting paid from the Imperial purse. Alexios did find that the troops in Anatolia had become lazy in this era of peace, and resolved to keep them in reserve as much as possible.

His next stop was the southern shore of the Black Sea, where he received ambassadors from the Despotates of Alania and Georgia, both of whom owed their very existence to the Empires good graces. After the reconquest of the area by John the Apostle from the Cumans, the Empire faced a major problem. Here was arable land that guarded the entrance to Anatolia, but that had been depopulated by the ravaging Cumans and could not be defended by the few remaining Alans and Georgians. John II had been unable to address this problem, but his son Manuel hit upon a brilliant solution. Reaching back into the history of the Empire, he resurrected the practice of soldiers colonies, where retiring soldiers would be given land to farm and protect. Coupled with a few well placed forts and regular cavalry patrols, this system enabled most regular Imperial troops to withdraw, leaving them free to fight elsewhere. Georgia has become one of the primary recruitment areas for the Empires cavalry in the years since, and its embassy to the Emperor directly emphasized this. Pleased, Alexios turned south through Armenia and began the long trek towards Antioch and the Holy Land.

M7Yg1oo.jpg

Antioch, where his ancestor Alexios the Great was buried, had struggled to recover after its reconquest from the Turks. Constant skirmishes and several major sieges had rocked the city, but after a century of Imperial rule the city was beginning to resemble its former glory. Traders from the Persian gulf plied their wares in the streets, and the newly completed cathedral of Saint Peter stood high on a hill overlooking the city, but still within the expanded walls. Alexios was somber on this visit, making a solitary pilgrimage to the tomb of his famous ancestor in the catacombs of the cathedral. Antioch was the administrative hub of Syria Prima and Syria Minor, both rich provinces which would help pay for the wars to come. Alexios also received an embassy from his uncle Boethios of Mesopotamia, who had served as governor of that province since the time of Manuel the Blessed. Boethios reported that the new Sultan of Perisa, one Yinal Selcuk, had just concluded a bloody civil war with one of the few remaining Seljuk princes and was in no position to strike at the Empires eastern frontier. Even so, Alexios was hesitant to draw on troops from the East, and instead asked only for what funds could be spared.

hHZ1FG4.jpg

Next came Alexandria, that wonderful city founded by the namesake of Alexios so many years before. The city was still recovering from the reconquest some 40 years prior, but the Patriarch still managed to put on a grand show for the Emperor. Governor Eusthtios was preoccupied with a rebellion in Nubia, but did send word that his province was ready to supply a large number of soldiers at a moments notice. Pleased with this result, Alexios set sail for Sicily, where Imperial forces were fighting the Republic of Genoa for control of the island.

9JeQhds.jpg

Alexios rides with his Immortals in Sicily

7VA8mW4.jpg

The Catholics are getting restless...

The news from Sicily was welcome. Palermo had fallen easily and the last holdouts in Messina were being hunted down quickly. But Alexios soon had cause for worry, as his brother Gergorios had taken up the heretic Doge's request for aid against the 'heathen' Imperials. The Great War might have begun then and there had the Doges ship not been captured and a surrender signed. German troops had barely reached the Imperial border before they were forced to turn back, both by the peace accord and a revolt in Provence by disaffected French vassals. Alexios breathed a sigh of relief, but now also spied a grand opportunity. His Legion in Sicily was perfectly positioned to make a devastating first strike against the exposed German forces, and he decided to accelerate his plans for invasion. The Wars of Reconquest would begin, far ahead of schedule.....

Soon the western pretenders shall learn the folly of their heresy and false empire!

Soon there will be only one Emperor

Love! Love! Love this update! The way you weave in the economic with the military and his grand tour of the empire and love the cliffhanger at the end! Great stuff!nreally pleased to see this excellent AAR back up and running :D