• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aaaaaaand here we go.
That's almost exactly what went through my head. Still, 27 diplomacy :)
Woot woot, a very splendid AAR!

It's been some time since I've had this good Rhomaion AARs! :cool:
Thank you very much. Got something up my sleeve that will really impress you.
Long live Basilissa Sophia I!

Despite what Alexios said to the generals, I still can't help but think that he'll cause trouble later on.
Good thing all those pesky Muslims are independent now. AND none have a truce with me =D

He died a soldier, fighting with honor... all Roman Emperors should have the same fate
Somehow I doubt Sophia will share that fate ;)

Epilogue: The Despot and the Empress

Manuel’s body was swiftly taken to Alexandria, to await transport to Constantinople. Alexios would accompany his father, not only to lay him to rest but to also pledge his loyalty to his sister. He had been made Despot of Egypt upon his father death, which gave him command of one of the largest armies in the Empire. He still stood by his pledge to remain loyal, but already many lords of the Empire seemed to regret their backing of Sophia over Alexios. Once the crown had touched her head she had exploded into action, raising taxes to strengthen the army and navy, releasing dozens of prisoners from her father’s dungeons and revoking the titles the power of several quarreling nobles. It was clear to all that she intended to rule with a firm hand, and would not be bullied by any of male subjects. Many had sent messages to the new Despot, expressing their deepest condolences and imploring him to return to the City, and to bring their grievances to his sister’s attention. The nobles seemed to think that Alexios desired the throne, and were all too eager to express their support for his claim. Still remembering his fathers dying wish, Alexios politely refused their offers of allegiance. However, their very public support of him caused no small concern among Sophia’s advisors. Her spymaster advised that she should imprison Alexios, while others urged action against the rebellious nobles. Sophia considered both actions, but knew neither course would be acceptable. If she simply imprisoned her brother the nobles would rise against her, fearing to live under a tyrant. If she struck at the nobles, others would rise against her, perhaps convincing her brother to stake his claim. All her advisors begged her to recognize her delicate position as a woman on the throne, which any man with even the barest hint of Imperial blood would be out to claim the crown for himself. Alexios had the strongest claim, and the most men by far of any of the claimants. The meeting became increasingly raucous, with all the men shouting and the Empress remaining silent until she rose to her feet.

The diary of Emperor Konrad records the scene

"Sophia stood, but the Doux and counts still shouted at each other, seemingly ignoring the woman in their midst. She spoke quietly, asking for silence, but still the men shouted on. Finally she slammed her small fist down on the table, demanding the men be silent or risk losing their tongues. Startled, the men looked at her, then realized they had been given an order and swiftly fell quiet. Sophia smiled and said ‘Thank you my lord for your…spirited counsel. Your advice has been duly noted, but I must now make my decision. You are all dismissed.’ None moved, until guardsmen began to walk towards the table. The men swiftly left the room, followed by the guards and servants, leaving me alone with my wife. Her face, which had previously held an expression of gratitude, turned swiftly to one of scorn. ‘These foolish old men think I am some weak minded harlot, who cant keep her legs closed for any passing man. My brother is not foolish enough to rise against me aside form the fact that he has no ambition to speak of. The nobles I may have to bring to heel, but with nothing as crude as the headman’s axe needed.’ I smiled at this, for Sophia often spoke thus in private. How the common people would start to hear their Empress speak as a fishwife on her wharf. I said ‘What then will you do my wife, for the nobles may rise for your brother despite his loyalty.’ She turned to me, and smiled again. ‘Simple dear husband, I shall make sure my brother is absolutely loyal, so that he himself can refuse the offers of lordship.’ I stared at her, for she made all this sound so simple. ‘How can you convince your brother to ignore such a tempting offer my love? A dusty castle in Egypt is no comparison to the Great Palace of the City.’ She looked up at the large map on the wall and pointed to Egypt, which was stuck with different color pins denoting army positions. ‘True enough dear husband, but the palace of the Caliph should be recompense enough for any man.’ She lifted a purple pin and placed in on the Nile river, next to a green pin marking the location of a Fatimid controlled city. I looked closer and saw the name of this city, in Arabic al-Qāhirah, meaning ‘the Conqueror’. I was confused, and my wife laughed at my expression and said ‘Cairo my love, for shouldn't the lord of all Egypt should govern from her capitol?..."

nkuH8H6.jpg

The ancient tombs of the Pharaohs on the banks of the Nile

The morning of February 30th 1160 dawned clear and cold over the city, making the black banners of mourning hang still over the walls and monuments. On the horizon to the south a large ship was approaching, black sails denoting its sad purpose. The docks were lined with people, all hoping to catch a glimpse of the fallen Emperor as he took his final journey. The ship slowly pulled into the Julian harbor, and now the coffin of the Emperor could be seen on its deck. It shone in the morning sun, the gold from the Fatimid treasury at Petra making a lovely lid for the purple draped casket. His son Alexios stood at the prow of the ship, and he was the first off the ship and the first to kneel before the Empress. Sophia wore a modest assortment of Imperial purple and black, and beckoned her brother to embrace her. He did so, and a collective sigh of relief could be heard from all assembled. Now the casket was brought out, carried by an honor guard of soldiers from the field of Eliat. They had been sworn to protect the Emperor, and having failed in that duty their lives were forfeit unless pardoned by the Empress. She nodded as they passed, and fell in step behind the casket as it marched up the street to the forum of Constantine. Turning now to the main road, the procession walked down the wide avenue, with a carpet of flower marking the way to the Hagia Sophia. A crypt had been prepared inside for the Emperor, beside his father John and a statue of Alexios I, grandfather of Manuel. The Patriarch himself stood ready to conduct the service, and the casket was placed in front of the alter. As the prayers were chanted, Alexios and Sophia stood together, and discussed their future relationship.

Sophia’s diary records the exchange

“My brother stood by my side, his eyes fixed on our fathers’ casket. He told me his final words, his final plea for Alexios to do what is best for the Empire. ‘At first,’ he said ‘I thought he meant to simply remain loyal to you, not start a succession war that could undo all he had accomplished. But now I see he had a depper meaning.’ His face now grew darker, but still he did not look away from the service. ‘Father had great trust in you Sophia, he knew you were the best choice to lead the Empire after he was gone. However, if you fail, or betray his trust, he knew someone had to be ready to take your place.’ Now he turned to me, and his face was as hard as stone ‘I will honor his last command Sophia, and act in the best interest of our Empire. If remaining your loyal servant meets that end, then so be it. If not… then God will decide who shall rule’ I stared back at him, and said nothing. My brother will remain loyal, as long as I provide the Empire with victory….”

As the casket was lowered into the stone crypt, and the service came to an end, Sophia must have felt some small sense of foreboding. The Empire was strong now, united against its enemies. One false move could reverse almost eighty years of progress by her forebears, ending forever the dream of Rome…

etUDzqS.jpg

The sun sets on the rule of Manuel...

The Empress now knows she can't fail, not even the smallest setback

The stakes are high for Sophia; either her reign is a glorious one that shall be praised for the remainder of human history, or it is a failed one that drags both her and the Empire into oblivion.

Personally, I think she'll make it. Having said that, I now have the Mary Tyler Moore Show theme song stuck in my head. "You're gonna make it after all."

I just caught up with this. I've gotten into CK2 recently, so why not? Best of luck to you.

He died a soldier, fighting with honor... all Roman Emperors should have the same fate
No. Emperors should age and retire to monasteries where they atone for their bloody sins in silent monotony.

It seems a lot happened while I was away. Sad to see Manuel go, but I have high hopes for Sophia.

That last epilogue was especially interesting. I'll be eager to see how these internal problems develop.

Incidentally, in my current game with Hispaña, I have a dip. 30 chancellor ;)

Any chance you will get EU4 I would love to see what the Komnenos pull off in the Age of Exploration?

Convert doesn't work the way it should, anyways, I think once the CK2 ends, he'll probably want to start a new one

Great AAR. I read through what there is of it in one day. Couldn't stop reading.

Look forward to whats coming next.

welcome to the party :D

Any chance you will get EU4 I would love to see what the Komnenos pull off in the Age of Exploration?

How will you fix the patch problem? Because I'm playing a Byzantine game and I have a blind family.

there is a mod that corrects the problem. i have yet to see if it converts properly though

It seems a lot happened while I was away. Sad to see Manuel go, but I have high hopes for Sophia.

That last epilogue was especially interesting. I'll be eager to see how these internal problems develop.

Incidentally, in my current game with Hispaña, I have a dip. 30 chancellor ;)

pics or it didn't happen ;)
Convert doesn't work the way it should, anyways, I think once the CK2 ends, he'll probably want to start a new one
I will start a new EUIV AAR eventually, but i will continue my Roman Empire game as well. I might turn Sunset invasion on, just to give me someone to fight in America

New Update?

Last edited:
Introduction: A Prince in Egypt

While the Emperor was on his way to his final resting place, the armies of the Empire completed their destruction of all Fatimid forces in the province. By mid June Caliph Akbar was begging for mercy, renouncing his claim on the Despotate and sending a huge crate of gold in an effort to halt the Roman onslaught. Sophia might have ignored this offer, for all of Egypt lay open to conquest, had an uprising of heretics in Armenia not required her attention. The local lords could not, or more accurately would not, supply the Empire with enough troops to deal with the problem, so Sophia was forced accept the Fatimid’s surrender, so that the Emperors Legion could travel north to deal with the uprising. For a year the Legion chased the heretic army through the mountains and forests, until finally they caught up to them in late March of 1161. Outnumbered and surrounded the Bogomilst’s surrendered en masse. Their leader was taken in chains to Constantinople, where he faced a heretic’s death at the stake. But Sophia spared his life, on the condition that he either leave the Empire forever, or accept the true faith. Zartosht choose exile, and was promptly removed from the city… via catapult into the sea. With the uprising crushed, Sophia now turned to the final conquest of Egypt. All the Moslem lords now received formal declarations of war, with all the lands from Nubia to Cairo falling under the Empire’s gaze.

z5kZTDt.jpg

While her armies assembled in Alexandria, Sophia toured the city with her husband and young son Georgios. The boy had been born five years previously, and as such lacked the distinction of being born in the purple. However, a majority of the electors of the Empire had already pledged their support to him, making him the heir apparent. The boy took after his father, his face pale even under the harsh sun. His flaming red hair however came from his great-grandmother Karoline, wife of Emperor John II. Sophia loved the boy, but he seemed to prefer the company of his father over his mother. This caused her great distress, but she had faith in the boy. His eyes held the same fire that her fathers had, and she knew he would make a fine Emperor one day. Soon after arriving in Alexandria however, Sophia announced that she was pregnant again. All loyal citizens felt a swell of joy at the news, taking it as a sign of Gods favor for their new Empress.

vNnMswc.jpg

At last the armies marched, twenty five thousand men spreading out all of Egypt. Most had come from Greece, but almost nine thousand had been raised by Alexios himself, again proving his commitment to the unity of the Empire. Swiftly the Imperial armies moved on Cairo, trapping the large Fatimid garrison inside the city walls. With the siege set, Alexios led a smaller force north towards the Sinai. Reports of these movements flooded back to Alexandria, where the Empress now entered the final stage of her pregnancy. Despite her physical limitation, she worked day and night at the business of state. Her father had been adept at this art, and it seemed his daughter was determined to be even better. She began to reorganize the various provinces of the Empire, removing power from the individual Doux and granting it to a Despot, who would answer directly to her. This would allow the individual Despots to respond effectively to any crisis that may occur throughout the Empire. However, it also created the potential for one Despot to wield enough power to challenge the Emperor, so Sophia made sure to only select the most loyal of nobles for the positions.

GCqoR9k.jpg
hhQKywt.jpg

emv9MG6.jpg
7VwInwz.jpg

Finally word arrived from Cairo, the garrison commander had surrendered, and the armies moved forward to secure the entire county. Swiftly the armies of the Empire marched south, to challenge the last Fatimid bastion in Aswan. Meanwhile, Despot Alexios avenged himself and the Empire for his fathers death, crushing the combined infidel army that had been assembled to relive the beleaguered Fatimid's. Songs are still sung of that glorious day, even though victory was all but assured, thanks to the vastly superior numbers brought to bear by Alexios.

Meanwhile in Alexandria, Sophia’s labor drew near. She decided not to return to Constantinople for the birth, proclaiming that the city of Alexander was fit to birth a Prince of Rome. Nevertheless, her room was decked in the purple of her office, so that none could question the child’s place in the succession. Despite the change her father had made, many in the empire still clung to the old ways, preferring a child born to a sitting Emperor to one born before. If Sophia had a son, many would see him as the rightful successor, bypassing his older brother Georgios. November 15th, 1162 dawned, and all were awoken by the screams of the Empress. The hour had come, and all gathered in the hall to await the news. Konrad himself paced the room, worry etched on his face as his wife’s cries echoed down the stone steps. Finally, a midwife descended the stairs, and called for the Emperor. He bolted up the stairs, sending the startled midwife flying in his haste.

Konrad’s diary records the scene

I made it to the second landing before I realized I had lost my way. That cursed castle had so many hallways and floors that one could easily wander for days before finding ones destination. I began to panic, but then heard a faint cry to my left, and relalized it was the cry of a newborn. I ran, then saw the purple draped door and wrenched it open. My wife lay on the bed, soaked in sweat but smiling all the same. Her dark hair, usually tucked neatly under her crown, fell now past her shoulders. I am ashamed to saw that I felt a deep longing for her, even at this most sacred hour. The sound of the child brought me to my senses, and I looked franticly for its source. My wife called “Here husband, I have him here.” ‘A son then.’ I though to myself, and hurried over to her side. Wrapped tightly in a purple cloth was my second son, and he was beautiful. He was currently absorbed in his first meal, and I again fought to conceal my embarrassment at my wifes predicament. I failed, and she scolded me for my discomfort. Changing the subject, I asked if she had though of a name. ‘I have’ she said ‘I named him for my brother’ I stifled a laugh and asked ‘which one, you have more than I can remember.’ Her blue eyes rolled as she smirked, then answered ‘Not only for my brother, but for my ancestor, and for the one this city was named for. His name is Alexios, and he is destined for greatness.’ I stared at her, for Sophia was never one for meaningless grandeur. Her eyes told me she was sincere, but all mothers must think the same of their sons….

Konrad's dissmisal of his second son's destiny would prove to be premature...
yr5vFUA.jpg

Prince Alexios​

Last edited:
I don't like how Born to purple trait makes Roman succession overcomplicated... eldest son might be passed because little brother was born in a purple room. :(

I don't like how Born to purple trait makes Roman succession overcomplicated... eldest son might be passed because little brother was born in a purple room. :(

That has annoyed me in may games too, but it's the way it was

An interesting update! what about all the Kingdom TItles created? are you going to givw them up when the de jure territories are conquered?