• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter V: The Desert Storm

With the recapture of Alexandria, Manuel had emulated the deeds of his father and grandfather by retaking a seat for the Pentarchy. Only the bishop of Rome refused to acknowledge the supremacy of the Ecumenical Patriarch, but that was a struggle for another day. For now, the east still demanded the Empire’s full attention, as it presented a golden opportunity for further expansion. With the weakening of Fatimid attacks on the Sunni Caliph, the various lords of Persia and Syria began fighting amongst themselves again. A massive decadence revolt in the south against the Seljuk Sultan had left his northern army’s army weak and disorganized. Having the backing of his vassals and a full treasury, Emperor Manuel once again called for total war on the infidel. All men of military age who could be spared were called to assemble and depart to the coasts, where the Imperial Navy would ferry them to the ports of Jaffa and Antioch. Nearly a hundred thousand men would serve in this campaign, and it would go down as the greatest military achievement of Manuel’s tenure as Emperor.

2013-06-05_00093_zps22688670.jpg

The divided lands of Persia, facing a full Imperial onslaught

It was also at this time that Manuel began thinking about his successors, remembering the early deaths of his father and grandfather. Alexios was become a fine young man, brave in training but little interested in the finer qualities of statecraft. Manuel tried his best to steer his son’s interest towards more useful subjects, but too little avail. By contrast, his four year old daughter Sophia displayed an intellect to rival many an adult, and a zest for learning unmatched by any other of Manuel’s children. With this in mind, the Emperor decided to bring Sophia and Alexios with him to Antioch, hoping that her example would spur Alexios to focus on his studies. This attempt to foster a friendly rivalry between brother and sister would turn out to have massive repercussions for the Empire’s future, but that is for a later chapter.

2013-06-14_00003_zps35d46ca6.jpg
2013-06-14_00002_zps6aedcca8.jpg

The armies of the Empire were divided into three main groups, each being responsible for various objectives. The northern army, under the command of Despot Levan of Georgia, would march on Mesopotamia, which was currently rebelling against the Seljuk Sultan. The southern army, under command of Captain Brynjolf of the Varangian Guard, would march on Outerjordan, and then to Baghdad itself. Finally, the central army was under Manuel’s direct command, and was directed to march on Mosul and Jazira. In early 1142 the armies set out from their various staging grounds, and met surprisingly little resistance from the Moslem garrisons. Brynjolf subdued Outerjordan ahead of schedule, and marched ahead with his Varangian’s to scout the approach to the Caliphs fortress. This turned out to be very unwise, as the men were ambushed on the outskirts of Baghdad, forcing Manuel to divert troops from the center to reinforce the flagging south. This setback was offset by the arrival of twelve thousand Georgian and Armenian troops, who had successfully subjugated the duchy of Mesopotamia and now marched south to reinforce the center. Jazira fell next, the Seljuk Sultan being unable to muster even a token force to contest Imperial mastery. By 1144, only Bagdad stood defiant, with a force of ten thousand Moslems defending the Caliph’s home. Manuel did not intend to stop short of his goal, and formed his army into three groups of twelve thousand, in order to encircle this foe. But the pitched battle that all had expected never came, for as the armies maneuvered around each other, word came that the Seljuk Sultan had been captured by rebel forces seeking his dynasty’s deposition. This new Selcukid Sultan was seen a desert nobody by the nobility in Persia, who immediately withdrew their forces from Baghdad so that they could instead make war on this upstart from the dunes. With the city left defenseless, the Caliph found himself facing a stark choice. Did he stay at let himself be captured and paraded around Constantinople, or did he abandon his city and in order to save his own skin. The sea of purple banners on the hills surrounding the city convinced him that running was a better option, and he swiftly fled to Karbala. Seeing the heart of Islam laid open before them, one might expect that Imperial forces would go on a looting rampage, but Manuel forbade any such action. He wanted to preserve the splendid city as a symbol of the Empire’s greatness, and to prevent any great uprising among the Moslem subjects of the Empire. For whatever reason, his peaceful entry into this most Islamic city set him apart from his father, who had famously butchered the defenders of Jerusalem. Even the Moslems began calling the Emperor Mubarak, or Blessed in our tongue. And he was truly blessed, for the coming years would be the happiest of his life and the most important for the Empire’s future….

2013-06-14_00006_zps7f65843f.jpg

Manuel The Blessed

He appears to have a black blob as heir. I thought this wasn't the Lovecraft AAR?
You must allow me some secrets. The heir was a complicated matter, an is the subject of the next chapter

You should have used the circle tool, not the pencil. :)

My MS paint skills are limited to stick figures. Took me 5 mins to figure out that MS Photo Editor didn't let me add a black blob

Interlude: Knowledge and Power

With the capture of Baghdad in 1143, the war in the east no longer required the full manpower reserves of the Empire. The Emperor would fund any remaining troops himself, but he also knew that leaving the majority of the Empire’s soldiers in the hands of his vassals could be a dangerous proposition. The various Doux and Count’s were already barred from warring against each other for land, but they could still invade any outside territory at their leisure. These small scale expansions of the Empire had several benefits on the face of them, allowing the Empire to expand without direct Imperial involvement. However, the history of Rome was littered with successful Generals who became Emperor’s, and Manuel had no desire for a new ‘Caesar’ to challenge his family’s right to rule. With this in mind, he began strengthening the power of the Emperor even more than his father had, curtailing the vassals to make war on anyone without direct Imperial approval. This angered many in the upper classes, but Manuel also promised something in return, the ability for the Doux to directly select which of his children would succeed him on the throne. The Doux, knowing that all of Manuels younger children had yet to be married off, seeing an opportunity to place their own houses on the throne through marriage, readily agreed to raise the empires crown authority

2013-06-06_00009_zpsb3b3880a.jpg

The Emperors will be done.

The promised reforms of succession law would take an additional two years to finalize, and all vassals had to agree to change the law once it was. Unfortunately, several vassals found themselves locked in civil wars against rival claimants to their titles, most notably Despot Khaetag of Alania and his uncle, Doux Balsag of Azov. The Despotate had been formed by Duke Huddan, with the permission of Emperor John II in 1138. Now the two men were locked in a death struggle for the crown of Alania, and preventing a vote on the change in succession law in the interim. In the meantime, Manuel began to devote more and more of his time to the education of his eldest son Alexios, and to his second oldest daughter Sophia.

An early portrait of the children of Manuel Komnenos
2013-06-15_00006_zps88df95b9.jpg

From left to right their names are: Euphrasia age 13, Alexios age 9, John age 6, the twins Boethios and Sophia age 2, and Megistos age 1

Alexios continued to cause problems for Manuel, though not in the way most parents expect. He was perfectly adequate through his studies, always completing his lessons on time and showing due deference to authority. He simply lacked raw skill to grasp many of the concepts, and didn’t seem to think there was a problem with this. ‘Ill have advisors for those things, why should I learn them?’ he is reported to have said. By the time he reached adulthood, he had grown somewhat distant from his father, even choosing to follow the path of the Fortune Builder instead of the diplomat. As it so happened, the war in Alana concluded around the same time, and Manuel took the opportunity to pass the succession reforms he had agreed to in the years before.

2013-06-06_00017_zpsa4ea1990.jpg
2013-06-06_00016_zps764ae392.jpg

He also betrothed Alexios to Klara Salian, the only daughter of Kaiser Konrad of the Germans. As we all know, the Kaiser claimed to be the successor to the fallen Western Roman Empire, and called the Eastern Empire the Empire of the Greeks. These two rival powers seemed destined to clash, but Manuel knew that the infidel would seize the opportunity to chip away at the Empires eastern frontier. He instead sought to create an alliance between the two realms; leaving his western border secure while the infidel was pacified. The bishop of Rome voiced concern about an Orthodox ruler with claims to the Catholic Empire, but Konrad ignored him. As Alexios began his formal courtship to Klara, Manuel took direct custody of the now 6 year old Sophia, sending her brother to be educated by the boys uncle. In complete contrast to her brother, Sophia displayed intelligence far beyond her years, easily grasping difficult concepts of diplomacy, economics and martial. She had the look of her mother, piercing blue eyes the color of a clear sky, and hair as black as night. On top of that, she was a delightful child, making friends with everyone she met no matter what their station. Manuel found himself wishing that his daughter had been born a man, and even considered naming her his successor. There was some precedent for a female Empress, the last being Theodora in 1050, but only after a popular revolt in her favor. Manuel was cure his nobles would never support a woman over a perfectly competent man, no matter how skilled she was. Sophia, young though she was, had other ideas….

2013-06-06_00018_zpsbd3708cd.jpg

Jesus, Sophia would be a good Empress. I'll be interested to see where you go with this.

Good also to see some gains in the east. Having Baghdad a part of the Empire is certainly a bonus.

Looking forward to the next update.

Chapter VI: Winds of Change

While the internal politics of the Empire consumed most of Manuel’s attention in the years following the capture of Baghdad, his armies were not idle. Damascus, Safed, Amman and Durz had all risen up against the Emir of Mecca, formerly the Emir of Outerjordan. These counties had long stood firm against Imperial forces, but now divided they were easy pickings. One by one, over the course of five years, all the Molsem lords were forced to swear fealty to their Roman overlords. For once Manuel gave them the choice to retain their titles if the surrendered, leaving it to his vassal Doux to convert or remove them with their own resources. During this period, the Fatimid’s made a push to claim all of Arabia for themselves, displacing the former Sunni lord of Nefound and preparing to invade Basra itself. Manuel still had a truce with the reigning Sultan, and had no intention of breaking his word. The truce either had to run its course or be voided by the vacancy of either throne. Not content to wait for his enemy to be at full strength, Manuel began contacting any dissident elements in the Fatimid court, hoping to find any disgruntled nobles that could remove the Sultan. Sadly, the Emir’s were quite fond of the Dwarf Sultan, knowing that his death would spark a succession crisis among his sons Akbar and Farhan. The Caliph in Cairo also sought to reclaim his crown, but Adnan had cowed him with threats and hostages. Manuel would need to find a more direct method of removing Adnan from the throne.

His spymaster, Doux Dorboslav, found what looked like a traitor in the Sultans personal entourage. The man was one of several guards assigned to the Sultan, but also had the task of helping the Sultan atop his horse, at least until he had dropped him in full view of his courtiers. The subsequent flogging and demotion had made him very open to killing his master, for the right price. Manuel, hoping to keep the matter a secret, paid mans price and hopped for the best. What he got was failure, for the guard was stopped before he could enter the Sultans chambers. Thankfully, he was not suspected of anything, and was free to try again. After a second payment, the guard succeeded in killing Adnan, but took the unwise action of throwing the corpse out the window, apparently yelling ‘Fly Fly little man!’ He was swiftly captured and tortured, and gave up the name of his employer just before the hanged him.

2013-06-06_00019_zps06b78afa.jpg

The new Sultan Akbar swore revenge against the ‘infidel’ for the murder, but his assassins were caught on the docks of Constantinople and hanged from the city gate. Manuel used this as a pretext for war, and sent thirty thousand men into the Sinai, seeking to cut the Fatimid realm in two. Akbar proved completely powerless against the vastly superior forces of the Empire, and was forced to surrender barely a year later. His armies destroyed and kingdom divided, he soon found himself at war with his own subjects, who all felt they could rule the Sultanate better than him. The Emirs of Egypt soon came to regret their treachery, for another thirty thousand men soon marched south from Alexandria, swiftly conquering the divided infidel lands.
2013-06-06_00021_zps93baf8db.jpg
2013-06-06_00023_zps6fc9c46e.jpg

The Sinai falls.

2013-06-06_00031_zpsf3d65d78.jpg

As does most of Egypt…

By early 1153, Imperial supremacy was almost unquestioned in the eastern provinces, with only a few remaining castles and country’s still resisting Imperial rule. The Persians were locked in a perpetual cycle of civil war, and the Fatimid Sultanate was coming apart at the seams. All seemed to be going well for the Empire, until a grim message arrived from the mountains of Armenia…

2013-06-06_00030_zpsbfb8fe20.jpg

A peasant, claiming to be a lost heir of Armenia’s last king, had gathered a large army to his banner and sought to ‘liberate’ his people from Imperial rule. His rebellion, though doomed to fail, produced great unease among the eastern lords of the Empire. The feared further uprisings among the disparate peoples of the Empire, and knew that under a less diplomatic man than Manuel more such revolts would have already happened. His eldest son Alexios was far too brash to unite the many competing factions of the Empire, coupled with the fact that he was oblivious to his own shortcomings. He was far too proud to take the advice of his father’s councilors, and completely ignored the fact that now the Doux and Despots of the Empire decided who would succeed the Emperor. He insulted many prominent nobles who questioned him, seeing their suggestions as challenges to Imperial authority. His father tried to rein him in, with limited success, but the nobles began to murmur of choosing another of Manuels children. Many became enamored with Sophia, now a beautiful girl of sixteen. She displayed all the tact and industry her brother lacked, and possessed and intellect to rival any man in the Empire. She skillfully persuaded her father to name her his successor, claiming that she had the best chance of continuing their family’s mission to restore Rome to her former glory.

An entry from Sophia’s diary records her arguments to her father
I made my case to Father today. For ten years I studied alongside my brother, and for all those years I saw firsthand how little he cared for my fathers words. Now I had to convince Father that I must succeed him, for the good of the Empire. ‘He ignores your words, and continues to alienate the nobles who must support him. He mocks the holy Church, claiming God has abandoned the world, yet refuses to meet out just punishment on those who wrong him. Brave though he is, he still loses any fight he finds himself in, and shows little understanding of military matters. On top of all these failings, he has no sense of intrigue, no ability to sense guile or deception in others. Alexios will plunge the Empire into civil war if he is made Emperor, for the Doux will not bow to one they do not respect. I have that respect Father, I have earned it and I will keep it. Father I implore you, in the name of all that is holy, renounce his claim to the throne and name me your heir.’ At this, Father rose, shaking with rage. ‘Be silent woman!’ he said ‘You ask me to cast off my son, one whom I groomed from birth to succeed me, and choose you to lead the Empire?’ I stood my ground, reminding father that I had always excelled where Alexios had faltered, that I had the support of the nobility, whereas Alexios was ridiculed. Father sat again, silent and brooding on his throne. ‘They will turn on you my dove’ he said quietly, ‘these men; these jackals seek to exploit the weakness of a woman for their own ends, and when you show your strength they will betray you.’ ‘I am no simple woman Father, I am a Komnenos.’ I rose to my feet and approached my Father, taking his hands in mine. ‘In our hands rests the fate of the Empire, and I shall not fail her, even if it costs me my life. You know what I say is true, that my resolve will never falter. Can the same be said of my brother...?’

The final decision would come soon after this entry. Of the reaction of Alexios no primary source survives, but we can assume he did not take his demotion well. However, the nobles and people of the Empire seemed largely content with the change in succession, knowing that the day of Sophia’s accession was still many years away...

2013-06-21_00002_zps6ee474cd.jpg

A new Heir to the Empire is choosen…

Maps for march 23, 1154

XhAMCMT.png

political

XmeWjnT.png

culture

5fjY3qH.png

religion

Also, getting the fuzzies from the 30k hits on this AAR. finally caught up with game time as well, so now we are running on 1.102

Finally, any thoughts on switching to terrain view instead of political? as i said, we are all caught up on game-play

Last edited:
The daughter is well-endowed.

The daughter is well-endowed.
I was kinda surprised when she didn't get Grey Eminence, but the 27 diplomacy should be good enough ;D

I should mention that with the Norse face packs the whole family turns really ugly really fast. they even lose that lovely black hair

I think history will prove Manuel right. Sophia is much more capable. Just make sure she's matrilineally married (or just marry a cousin ;))

Good to you've connected the empires Cyrenaican holdings with the metropolitan ones. Pretty borders are always a bonus - now you just need to get rid of those exclaves.

As for terrain/political view - choose whichever you want. As long as you provide maps every now and then I'll be happy.

ill have to remind myself to take map pics every succession or so. The enclaves are next, the hard part is that they are all in different duchies, so i have to fabricate claims on all 3 areas to take them from the Persians in less than 30 years

Edit
With the adding of ToG, this event became active. Decided to trigger it, just to see what happens
elR9hcB.jpg

Last edited:
Female heirs can cause problems with vassals, but with 27(!) diplo it seems well worth it. Alexios seems likely to be the only big problem, and if he can be dealt with (appeased or removed) than the other nobles will likely fall in line.