• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alex Borhild

Captain
62 Badges
May 18, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
LIBER IVDICVM
A History of the House of Cagliari

I think I discovered Crusader Kings about 7 years too late. I first played Crusader Kings in late 2011, and only started my first CK AAR, The Mountain Princes, in late January 2012. Crusader Kings II, of course, was released about two weeks later. Since I currently lack a computer capable of running CK2, and trying to write a narrative AAR is hard, at some point I decided to try my hand at something slightly easier.

Enter Knud Knytling. More specifically, phargle's classic Knud Knytling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales), which gave me the idea of trying my hand at writing an AAR from the viewpoint of the ruler I was playing as rather than from the perspective of a historian (as most of my previous AAR attempts have been) or some narrative epic like Rome AARisen. In accordance with that style, there will be plenty of pictures.

I will be using the Deus Vult Improvement Pack mod and, as I typically do when attempting AARs, play as an obscure and rarely-played ruler.

Table of Contents

Prologue: Sardinia before 1067 (12000 BC - AD 1066)
Chapter I: Peace, Love, and War (December 1066 - October 1069)
Chapter II: The Corsican War and aftermath (November 1069 - February 1072)
Chapter III: Desperate Measures (May 1072 - November 1073)
Chapter IV: Children and Choices (November 1073 - August 1077)
Chapter V: Educations and Exiles (October 1077 - March 1081)
Chapter VI: Pregnancies and Poles (May 1081 - January 1084)
Chapter VII: Marriage Politics (February 1084 - June 1085)
Chapter VIII: Winning a Throne (June 1085 - April 1087)
Chapter IX: Growth and Stability (May 1087 - December 1088)
Chapter X: Atonement (January 1089 - August 1090)
Chapter XI: Sickness and Oddity (August 1090 - December 1092)
Chapter XII: Marriage and Reward (January 1093 - May 1094)
Chapter XIII: Death and Grandchildren (May 1094 - August 1095)
Chapter XIV: Council and Crusade (August 1095 - February 1097)
Chapter XV: In Sickness and In Health (March 1097 - June 1098)
Chapter XVI: Normannorum Nostrum (July 1098 - January 1100)
Chapter XVII: Hunting and Intrigue (February 1100 - March 1101)
Chapter XVIII: Religion and Illness (March 1101 - July 1102)
Chapter XIX: Loss and Gains (August 1102 - July 1103)
Chapter XX: The Calm Before the Storm (August 1103 - October 1104)
Chapter XXI: War Against Pisa (October 1104 - October 1105)
Chapter XXII: The War Continues (October 1105 - September 1106)

Last edited:
Sardinia before 1067

Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean, has a long history of human habitation. The first evidence of humans on Sardinia dates to the Paleolithic era, but permanent settlements were not established until the Neolithic. The Nuragic civilization, and evidence of trade with the Eastern Mediterranean, appear in the archaeological record during the second millenium BC. The Nuragic civilization was named for the thousands of conical stone structures known as nuraghi that dot the Sardinian countryside.

nuraghe_su-nuraxi.jpg

Su Nuraxi di Barumini

Some scholars hypothesize connections between Sardinia and the Sea Peoples mentioned in Egyptian sources that caused turmoil in the Near East during the Late Bronze Age. Sardinia derives from Sardus, the name of a mythical hero of a Nuragic tribe. Sardus was known to the Romans as Sardus Pater.

The Phoenicians began to visit Sardinia some time after 1000 B.C.E. and, eventually, began to drop more than anchors when they founded several colonies in the 8th century B.C.E. - Tharros, Bithia, Sulcis, Nora, and Karalis (modern Cagliari). The Phoenicians and the natives lived together in peace so long as the Phoenicians stuck to their coastal settlements, but after a few hundred years the Phoenicians began to expand inland, taking over lucrative silver and lead mines in the southwestern part of the island. The locals took offense and the Phoenicians built a fortress on Monte Sira in 650 BC after several clashes. The disgruntled Sardinians attacked several Phoenician settlements in 509 B.C. and the Phoenicians asked Carthage for aid. Carthage was happy to oblige and, after linking up with the Phoenician forces, successfully conquered most of the island.

CarthageMap.jpg

Carthaginian territory and influence before the First Punic War

Sardinia was annexed by Rome as a result of the First Punic War in 238 BC and, along with Sicily, was a vital source of grain before the Romans conquered Egypt in the first century BC.
The Romans enlarged the existing Carthaginian cities, created a road network, and created an efficient agricultural system in spite of endemic malaria and frequently troublesome natives. The inhabitants of Barbagia, as the Romans called the central mountainous regions of the island, were particularly resistant to Roman rule.

The Vandals began the next chapter in Sardinian history when they, led by their king Geiseric, captured the coastal cities while on the way to sack Rome in 455. Vandal rule lasted for nearly a century, though little detail survives in the historical record. In 530 a coup d’etat removed King Hilderic, a convert to Roman Catholicism, in favor of his cousin Gelimer, who was Arian Christian, like most of his kingdom. Gelimer sent Goddas, a Gothic nobleman, to govern and assure the loyalty of Roman Catholic Sardinia. Shortly thereafter, Goddas declared himself the independent ruler of Sardinia and began to communicate with Emperor Justinian. In response, Gelimer sent his brother Tzazo with most of the army to Sardinia. Tzazo captured Cagliari and crushed the rebellion before the military expedition Justinian sent to assist Goddas could arrive in time.

Justinan’s army under Belisarius arrived in North Africa while most of the Vandal army was in Sardinia. The Vandals were overwhelmed and Sardinia became part of the Byzantine Empire.

Sardinia became part of the Prefecture, and then Exarchate of Africa under Byzantine rule.
Sardinia was divided into four parts, governed from Karalis by a judge and garrisoned by a Byzantine army commanded by a dux stationed in Forum Trajani (known today as Fordogianus). The Byzantines converted the largely pagan population to Christianity. In the late 6th century, a short-lived independent principality arose in Barbagia, which had returned to the traditional local religion. One of its princes, named Ospitone, raided local Christian settlements controlled by the Byzantine dux Zabarda. Ospitone was reprimanded by a letter from Pope Gregory I and, in 594, was convinced by the Pope to convert to Christianity. His followers were not so convinced and ostracized him for a short time before they also converted.

The exact circumstances of the end of Byzantine rule in Sardinia are not known. Some time after 650 local legates were given more power when the rebellion of Gregory the Patrician and a major Muslim invasion of North Africa both occurred during the late 640s. The loss of North Africa led to increased Muslim raids on the coastal cities, the first of which is recorded around 705. In the following centuries Karalis, Tharros, Porto Torres, and numerous other coastal cities and towns were abandoned.

Originally the title of iudiki, or “judge”, was the title of a governor under the Exarchate, but after the Muslim conquest of Sicily began in 827 communications with the central Byzantine government became difficult, if not impossible. The Byzantines were cut off from the Tyrrhenian Sea and the judges were forced to fend for themselves. An 864 letter from Pope Nicholas I is the first known mention of the Sardinian judges, and a later letter from Pope John VIII (reigned 872-882) referred to them as “princes”.
In contrast to feudal Europe, where all land was considered property of the sovereign, in Sardinia under the judges there was a distinction between the private property of the giudice and property of the state. The territory of each giudice, or giudicato, was divided into curatoria, which were controlled by curatores subject to and appointed by the judge. Each curatoria, in turn, elected representatives to the Corona da Logu, a sort of parliament that appointed the judge, ratified treaties, and could depose and execute the judge in the event of serious tyranny and abuse. Usually, the new judge had been the designated heir of the previous judge. By the tenth century Sardinia was divided into five giudicati - Cagliari, Arborea, Ogliastra, Logudoro, and Gallura. Ogliastra had a fairly short existence due to being absorbed by Cagliari before the early 11th century.

Judicial_Sardinia.jpg

The earliest named giudici of Sardinia date to the early 11th century. Manfred of Gallura, a client of Pisa, reigned from approximately 1020 to 1040 while his contemporary Gonario I was the first known judge of Arborea and Logudoro, ruling from possibly from the late 900s to approximately 1038. For reasons unknown, the only thing known about Salusio I, the earliest recorded judge of Cagliari, is that he died in 1058.

In 1015 and 1016 Muslim forces from the taifa of Denia led by Mujahid al-Siqlabi invaded Sardinia.
mujahid.jpg

Mujahid
The Republics of Pisa and Genoa, who had strategic and mercantile interest in the island remaining part of Christendom, organized two expeditions to defeat Mujahid that received support from Pope Benedict VIII, which would later be considered a precursor to the Crusades. After defeating the Muslims, Pisa and Genoa fought for the control of Sardinia. Pisa was victorious in Porto Torres and secured a papal privilege.

Barisone I was judge of Arborea after Gonario I. In 1060 he learned of the death of the judge of Logudoro, so he gave Arborea to his son (or nephew) Mariano I and traveled to Porto Torres to receive the vacant judgeship. In 1063 Barisone asked Desiderius of Benevento, the abbot of Montecassino, to send twelve monks to establish the Benedictine rule on the island of Sardinia. Desiderius sent them with books, relics, and various other religious and cultural items, but the Archdiocese of Pisa was determined to maintain a religious supremacy in Sardinia and attacked the monks near the island of Giglio. Four monks died as a result of the assault and the survivors returned to Montecassino. Barisone was supported by Pope Alexander II, who excommunicated the Pisans, and Godfrey the Bearded, Duke of Spoleto and later Duke of Lower Lorraine and Margrave of Tuscany, who secured the passage of the monks and their arrival in Sardina. In 1065 two more monks were sent at Barisone’s request, and he gave them Santa Maria di Bonarcado and Sant'Elia di Montesanto. In 1065 or 1066 he died of a sudden illness* and was succeeded by Mariano I of Arborea, who suddenly found himself ruling most of Sardinia.

* - Historically, Barisone died in 1073. This is my contrived explanation for why Sardinia only has two rulers at the start of the game in late 1066.

Last edited:
Mr. Capiatlist and DumBMan: Thank you! According to some sources cited by Wikipedia, Mujahid's mother was originally a European who had been captured and sold into slavery. I can't seem to find anything more specific than him being Slavic and a former slave. I do seem to remember reading somewhere that he was South Slavic, but I'm afraid I don't have an exact citation for that. I think CK, or at least the DVIP mod, represents South Slavic as Serbian.
According to Wikipedia, during the second expedition to Sardinia (in 1016) the combined forces of Pisa and Genoa outnumbered Mujahid's forces, so he attempted to flee. Arabic sources say that his fleet was damaged by a storm as it passed through a rocky cove and Pisan annals and a chronicle written by Thietmar, the Bishop of Merseburg record that Mujahid's mother and heir were captured when Pisan and Genoese ships picked off the survivors.

Last edited:
Pax, amor, et bellum

Cagliari:

The first ruling dynasty of Cagliari came from the merger of two families- the Salusio de Lacon and the Torchitorio de Ugunale. The first judge of Cagliari known to the historical record is Mariano I (regnal name: Salusio I), who is only known to have ruled until his death in 1058. His eldest son Orzocco took the name of Torchitorio I when he was elected judge to honor the two families.

Chapter I: Peace, Love, and War
December 1066 - October(ish) 1069

Torcotore I, Judge of Cagliari in late 1066
Torcotore-game_start.jpg

I am Torcotore I. Since the death of my father Salusio I in 1058, I have ruled as Judge of Cagliari. I have recently decided that I should marry in order to continue my family line. Several women from prominent families were introduced to me at court recently, but as I did not think that any of them would make a satisfactory wife I sent emissaries to several of my fellow Christian rulers to make the proper inquiries.

Ladies of the court
judges-court.jpg

Prospective brides
potential_brides.jpg

(Editor's note: Really, of these I thought that Adelaida and Theodora might be the best choices. Albina might also have been fine, though I didn’t like the look of her low martial skill. The problem with Theodora, of course, is that she’s Orthodox, not Catholic - in most cases I would probably propose marriage regardless, but I’m trying to sort of role-play here. In early March 1067, after three months without making any wedding proposals, I checked the save game to see when Elena Adorno’s birthday was, since I was wondering if it might be worth it to wait until she turned 16. Unfortunately, I saw that her birthday was in November, so I decided to go ahead and “get hitched”.)

denied.jpg

formal_denial.jpg

After the Duke of Lombardy declined my request to marry one of his close advisers, I decided to ask Count Ramon Berenguer of Barcelona if I could marry one of his courtiers- Stefania, a niece of the Count of Besalu.

judicial_matrimony.jpg

marriage_duty.jpg

The Count of Barcelona gave his permission and Stefania and I were married by the Archbishop of Cagliari in Santa Igia. Shortly thereafter, I made her mistress of spies.

new_wife.jpg

There is little to report of the first few happy months after our marriage. Stefania didn’t know any Sardinian, and I knew no Spanish, but I helped her learn Sardinian when I wasn’t otherwise occupied.

firstborn.jpg

There were reports of war between Matilda, Duchess of Tuscany, and Henry IV, the King of Germany, and more reports of rebellions in Greece and Anatolia against the Byzantine Emperor.
One day in June, a young knight named Camillo Bobone appeared at court claiming to have fled from a distant land and asking for a place at court.
noble_refugee.jpg

warrior_refugee.jpg

I offered him command of the judicial army, which he readily accepted.
After Bobone’s arrival at court, I learned that Stefania was pregnant. Nine months and 3 days after our marriage, she gave birth to our firstborn son, who we named Antoniotto, on January 6, 1068.

firstborn_son.jpg

The Count of Barcelona proposed an alliance in February 1068 after Saracens went to war with one of his vassals. I told his emissary that I accepted the proposed alliance.

Barcelona_alliance.jpg

In retrospect, this may not have been the best decision. I wanted to have the power of Barcelona to help protect Cagliari, but I felt it would be unwise to risk the lives of my all too few men and the entire judiciary of Cagliari against the Saracen hordes ruled from Valencia and Denia. In any case, only a few men from the curatorial families accompanied the emissary on his return to Barcelona. At this time there was many reports from wars in Iberia - King Sancho of Castile was succeeded in early February by his brother King Alfonso of Leon, and the new king of Castile and Leon had to pay large sums to the Saracen rulers of Aracena, Toledo, and Seville to buy peace.
In April 1068, Margravine Matilda of Tuscany was defeated by Henry, King of Germany and she lost all of her titles and lands.
In August, Count Ramon Berenguer of Barcelona made peace with the Saracen ruler of Mallorca and went to war against the Saracen ruler of Menorca.
In September I was informed that my wife Stefania was pregnant again

expecting.jpg

and in late October we received word that the Count of Barcelona had made peace with the Saracen ruler of Menorca.
In February 1069, the Count of Barcelona made peace with the ruler of Denia and paid indemnities.
On March 9, 1069, Stefania gave birth to our second son, and he was christened Agapito.

secondborn.jpg

In the same month, we heard more reports of rebellion against King Henry of Germany and that the Count of Barcelona had ceded the city of Barcelona to the Saracen ruler of Valencia in exchange for peace. I heard about the loss of Barcelona to the heathens at the same time as I learned of another event closer to home - Stefania informed me one night that Camillo and Elena had been seen spending a lot of time in each other’s company.

infatuation.jpg

The happy couple
courtier_romance.jpg

In early August 1069, we received an emissary from the Count of Corsica announcing the intent of his lord to forcibly press his claim to the territory of the judiciary of Cagliari.

Corsica_declares_war.jpg

After the emissary had left, and much thought, I decided that this war would last until the bitter end. Despite the emissary’s claims, I have no doubt that Alberto the Red’s purportedly legitimate claim to the territory that comprised the giudicato of Cagliari was probably forged. God will favor the man who follows the Ten Commandments and does not covet his neighbor's land over the man who does covet his neighbor's land and wealth.

grudge_war.jpg

In late September, we received news that Margrave Bertrand II of Provence had died and was succeeded by his cousin Guifre. Due to Stefania’s great great grandfather being Margrave William I of Provence (died 993), we learned that Antoniotto had a claim to the Margraviate of Provence.
While waiting for the Corsicans to arrive in force, I learned that Stefania was again with child.

third_expected.jpg

Last edited:
Saracens save day; Sardinians celebrate

DumBMan: Thank you!

Chapter II
The Corsican War, and its aftermath​
November 1069 - February 1072

In November 1069 Corsican ships were sighted and I sent out messengers to muster the army near Cagliari.
before_Corsican-war.jpg

Before the Corsicans landed, Camillo demonstrated new shortbows for our archers.

corsican_cagliari.jpg

peace_offering.jpg

I sent my first peace proposal in December. Two weeks passed before Alberto of Corsica saw fit to answer me. Through superior numbers, after a month of maneuver and occasional skirmishing he forced me to flee to Arborea while he began to lay siege to Cagliari and Santa Igia.
defeat.jpg

The Judge of Arborea agreed to not harass us as long as we left his land as soon as possible. Once I returned to my territory, I was unfortunately defeated after a single battle.

While the Corsican siege continued, we learned in February that the Count of Barcelona made peace with the Saracen rulers of Aracena, Seville, and Cordoba and went to war against Niebla.
Catalan-Niebla.jpg

In March we received reports that the Saracen rulers of Trapani and Palermo in Sicily had gone to war against Corsica, and in April my third son was born. We decided to name him Lorenzo.
Lorenzo_born.jpg

stressed_chancellor.jpg

Bianca, my chief diplomat, started becoming particularly short-tempered and irritable after the first few months of the Corsican siege. I wondered if it was because of the Corsican siege preventing anyone but the Corsicans from landing near Santa Igia, but we did manage to occasionally hear something of the outside world thanks to my wife’s agents.
I decided to try asking the Pisans for an alliance, but they apparently weren’t interested.

alliance_declined.jpg

In late September we noticed lots of activity in the Corsican camp, and finally they began to leave.
peace_with_corsica.jpg

Apparently the Saracen ruler of Palermo had taken Corsica while its ruler and his men were besieging us.

saracen_corsica.jpg

Due to their superior numbers Alberto had surrendered Corsica to the Saracens.
moslem-horde.jpg

There were some rumors, according to my spy mistress wife, that there was a Christian commanding the armies of the Emir of Palermo.

saracen_servant.jpg

The first major domestic event after the end of the war with Albert of Corsica occurred in February 1071 when the regent ruling in the name of Count Boniface of Saluzzo proposed that Cagliari and Saluzzo form an alliance.
Saluzzo-alliance.jpg

Saluzzo.jpg

Boniface of Saluzzo circa February 1071

In March the Count of Gevaudan proposed that his son Gilbert marry Elena.

courtier_export.jpg

Despite Camillo’s protests, I thought having a friendly ruler in the future would be nice, so I gave my consent. The Doge of Venice took Trapani from its Saracen ruler in April.

In May of that year I decided that Agapito should be raised by nannies until he was old enough to start his education either at court, in a monastery, or at arms.
second_nannies.jpg

The rest of the year saw little of interest happen in Cagliari. There were reports of rebellions in Germany, England, and Sweden. In July we heard reports that a Christian ruler who styled himself the Duke of Brandenburg made peace with the Obodrite pagans living on the eastern border of Germany in exchange for land and gold.
In August we recieved reports that the Zirids and Beni Halal were at war. That war would ultimately last until after Christmas, when the ruler of Medjerda became King of the Beni Halal.
In the early days of 1072 I was informed that my wife was pregnant with our fourth child.
bun_oven.jpg

On Saint Valentine’s feast day I decided to personally raise Antoniotto to ensure that he is properly prepared for his future as the Judge of Cagliari, or at least a strong candidate for that position.

firstborn_question.jpg

heir_favourite.jpg

A few days later the Judge of Arborea dared to insult my ancestry.

Arborea_insult.jpg

Recording the full insult would be uncouth, but it included a implication involving my grandmother, the Saracen invasions of 1015 and 1016, and half the Moors in Hispania, as well as their horses. I decided to plan for future retaliation.

Desperate Measures

Chapter III
Desperate Measures​

May 1072 - November 1073

I decided in May that Lorenzo could prepare to enter the Church in some capacity since I already have two other sons. Antoniotto and Agapito most likely have a better chance of succeeding me than their youngest brother.

Lorenzo_monastic.jpg

I decided to lay claim to the territory of the Judge of Arborea in response to his insult earlier this year.

claim-vengeance.jpg

Officially, the claim is based on my descent from the last Roman governor, though unofficially there was some difficulty finding even the slightest truth in such a claim. Nobody but me, and possibly some of my chosen advisors, needs to know about that, though.
Shortly after laying claim to Arborea, my wife gave birth to another son we named Azzone.

Azzone_born.jpg

Unfortunately, before Azzone was two months old the Doge of Genoa decided to declare war on us.

Genoese_war-declare.jpg

Doge_Genoa.jpg

The Doge of Genoa circa 1073

I tried offering Genoa money in exchange for peace, but they refused my offer.

peace_declined.jpg

Trying to buy them off was the only plausible option I could see to keep the Genoese at bay. Since that failed, I decided to take an option of last resort - turning to the Pisans, who I thought might be happy to frustrate Genoa. I offered to pledge allegiance to the Consul of Pisa, and he graciously accepted.

swearing_fealty.jpg

I learned that my rival Alberto the Red, former Count of Corsica, was serving as an advisor to the Consul of Pisa - more specifically, as a master of spies.

Obertenghi_spymaster.jpg

Before I decided to ask the Count of Barcelona for Stefania, I thought about offering to marry the Pisan woman who Alberto married. He married her before I could propose to her, though. It only makes sense that he and his children would at least attempt to take refuge at his wife’s home court.

peace_declination.jpg

Genoa still doesn’t want my money in exchange for leaving me alone.

random_retirement.jpg

I granted Alessandra Mocenigo’s request to leave my service. She never served as one of my advisors, and once tried luring me into a chapel, supposedly to “confess her sins.” She didn’t say anything about her plans for the future, but according to one rumor, she entered a convent and was one day found in a compromising situation with a young novice or three. Or maybe it was the abbess and two monks. I don’t remember, but I never heard about her again.

faithful_spymistress.jpg

My wife Stefania has served as my spymaster since our marriage six years ago.
The Genoese finally landed and I met them with as many men as I could muster near Cagliari.
cagliari_battle.jpg

Unfortunately, there were something like six Genoese men for every one of mine.

battle_lost.jpg

After the Genoese defeated me they finally were interested in peace - I suspect this had more to do with the Pisan fleets than my persistence, unfortunately.

Genoese_peace.jpg

A young woman who used to work in the kitchens tried to seduce me, but I refused to succumb to temptation.
temptation_resisted.jpg

In early October 1073 we received an emissary bearing a letter from His Holiness the Pope. I had long considered it unfortunate that we lacked a court chaplain, so I was glad to accommodate the Pope’s request.

papal_assignment.jpg

new_chaplain.jpg

The new court chaplain

My new court chaplain is named Costante Zeno and, according to my wife’s sources, expressed doubt in the existence of God after drinking too much strong wine. I hope this doesn’t affect my relations with the Church. I wonder how much, if anything, His Holiness knows of Costante’s skepticism?
Regardless, my privy council seems complete now that I have a court chaplain.

new_council.jpg

I decided to send Azzone to live with one of the curatorial families for a time.

Azzone_weaned.jpg

After six years of marriage and several children, I have decided that I truly love my wife.

happily_arranged.jpg

Last edited:
I know that the CK AAR forum is basically dead ever since the release of CK2, but if you do happen to read this: Remember, feedback is always appreciated. :)

Chapter IV
Children and Choices​

November 1073 - August 1077

In March 1074 my wife reported that Camilo Bobone, captain of my personal guard and commander of the judicial army, received a cool response to a love letter he sent to Elena. I suppose this explains why he seems to be drinking a lot of wine recently.

lost-love.jpg

Antoniotto and Agapito have been getting along very well lately, even when Agapito pesters his older brother.
sibling-trouble.jpg

sibling_alliance.jpg

It seems that my wife and I are expecting another child.

more_kids.jpg

My liege lord the Consul of Pisa requests that I mobilize my men and await further instructions.

duty_calls.jpg

Naturally, I comply. The fact he could crush me easily if I decided to rebel has absolutely nothing to do with it. At least, I wish it didn’t.

It seems Bianca has contracted some kind of sickness. We pray for her speedy recovery.

ill_diplomat.jpg

ill_diplomat_profile.jpg

Stefania gave birth to our newest son. She was adamant that we name him Raimondo Berenguer.
catalan-kid.jpg

Somehow I’ve gained a new rival - Alberto Obertenghi, the Bishop of Piombino and fellow vassal of the Republic of Pisa. My sources claim he is not closely related to Alberto Obertenghi, former Lord of Corsia, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a distant relation.

rivalry-begin.jpg

new_rival.jpg

I love my wife.

marital_bliss.jpg

Frequently.

A woman claiming to be able to heal people by working miracles came to court today. She offered her services to Bianca, who was cured of her disease.

well_diplomat.jpg

Ever since being cured of her disease, Bianca has been in a much better mood lately.

stress-relief.jpg

I’m sure the lack of besieging Corsicans also helps - it sure makes me feel better.

A cleric that came to court today confirmed the rumors what my wife’s agents had heard - His Holiness the Pope recently summoned prominent nobles of Italy, Germany, France, and Hungary to a council where he called for all true Christians to take up the Cross and take Jerusalem from the Muslims.

first_crusade.jpg

(Fun fact: Matilda of Canossa, former Margravine of Tuscany and current papal controller, is currently married to the brother of the Count of Temes, who serves as his brother’s Marshal. The County of Temes is part of the Kingdom of Hungary.)

Matilda_da_Canossa.jpg

Matilda of Canossa circa the beginning of the First Crusade

While hunting, I came across a magnificient deer which I thought would make a fine trophy to hang over the fireplace.

hunting.jpg

I decided that Agapito could be educated in the Church.

pre-cleric.jpg

to_monk.jpg

Since it’s the center of Christendom, surely fostering Agapito at the Papal court will help my relations with His Holiness. I doubt that fostering one’s son with the Pope truly makes up for failing to take up the Cross and sailing to the Holy Land to take Jerusalem from the Muslims, but I probably don’t have enough men to conquer anything more than a small town, let alone a city like Jerusalem.

papal_foster.jpg

Last edited:
DumBMan: Done!

I worked on this update last weekend when I probably should have been studying for a test. Then my computer was having issues connecting to the internet, but since that has been fixed it means I can finally post another update.

Chapter V
Educations and Exiles​

October 1077 - March 1081

I have decided that Ramon Berenguer shall be raised by the nannies until he is old enough to begin his education.
Ramon_nurses_zpsc412b0bf.jpg

Antoniotto asked me why people die and I told him it was part of God’s plan.

firstborn_theology_zpse3762ad2.jpg

Unfortunately, I’m not sure he learned the right lesson - rather than becoming honest, as I had hoped, he started acting selfishly.

Teutonic_order_zps25eb11d3.jpg

The King of Hungary has apparently granted some of the land he conquered from the pagans on the southern coast of the Baltic Sea to a German military order.

brother-friends_zps3174801c.jpg

Azzone and Lorenzo have become quite close. Maybe my sons befriending one another will mean that they won’t fight over who should succeed me.

Azzone_pre-court_zps512752c1.jpg

I have decided that Azzone will be educated at court. Since he seems to have shown some skill at figures, perhaps he will be a skilled steward one day.

Azzone_court_zps60e74970.jpg

marshal_di_orvieto_zps4ca8a9ad.jpg

A stranger recently appeared at court. After he defeated Camillo at chess and a mock swordfight, I decided he would make a much better commander of my armies and installed him as my Marshal.

new_council_zps781b7a3a.jpg

game_of_chess_zps3baf39d4.jpg

The Bishop of Cagliari wanted to play chess with me, but I’d heard he always wins. I decided to play him anyway, since cheating a man of God seems worse than cheating any layman.

Lorenzo_precleric_zps978cca04.jpg

Lorenzo is old enough to begin his education. and I decided to send him to be educated at a monastery.

Lorenzo_cleric_zps292df2c1.jpg

friend_of_enemy_zpsfa1ce4bf.jpg

The Bishop of Nice has no part in my quarrel with the Bishop of Piombino, methinks.

celibate_chaplain_zpsa93f21c6.jpg

My court chaplain has decided to become celibate. This does save me the trouble of housing or feeding any natural children he might have fathered.

claims_questioned_zpsa8e759cd.jpg

Some dare to question my right to rule all of Sardinia.

needy_chancellor_zpsd574a27b.jpg

Bianca claims that her abilities are not valued in the court, and suggests her skills might be better appreciated by another ruler.

diplomat_bribe_zps60dee238.jpg

I attempted to persuade her that I do appreciate her diplomatic talent.

firstborn_premilitary_zps93f87c0f.jpg

I decide that Antoniotto will be given a military education.

firstborn_education_zps6cc4ca60.jpg

If I am unable to unify Sardinia before I die, I hope he will.

defection_zps78f46a1f.jpg

Former Marshal Camillo Bobone has left my court and, according to my wife’s spies, taken up residence at the court of my rival, the Bishop of Piombino.

defector_zpsc4c7b43d.jpg

He claimed to be heading for Germany, but my wife’s spies at the bishop’s court informed us of Camillo’s arrival.

Last edited:
VI - Pregnancies and Poles

DumBMan: We shall see. I think I've played as far as 1092, so there might be some surprises in store.

Chapter VI
Pregnancies and Poles​

May 1081 - January 1084

expecting-again_zpsb451a81d.jpg

Stefania tells me that she is pregnant again. God willing, this will be our sixth child.

falling_out_zps9ceb7b63.jpg

less_love_zps9d17882e.jpg

Stefania is acting strange lately. I will have to see if I can figure out what’s troubling her.

love_again_zpsea790c1f.jpg

I had nearly forgotten just how beautiful Stefania is.

ramon_precourt_zpsdbf75000.jpg

I decided that Ramon will be educated at court.

ramon_court_zps184f6ae8.jpg

So far he has demonstrated some skill with figures and a training sword.

catalan_foster_zps34044cc9.jpg

I decide to have Ramon Berenguer fostered at the court of the Count of Barcelona.

Merigo_born_zps61010abf.jpg

Stefania gave birth to our sixth son today, and we decided to name him Merigo. I wonder if Stefania and I will have any daughters?

brother-friends_zpsbe375daf.jpg

Lorenzo and Azzone have become close friends lately.

another_kid_zps26e53040.jpg

Stefania is pregnant again. While I shall pray yet again for her continued health and the birth of a healthy child, I’m not sure if I want any more sons.

decadent_novice_zps7acfba1b.jpg

Costante tells me that Lorenzo has not been acting in a manner befitting a future man of the cloth. He was apparently found with several empty wine skins and a local peasant girl recently.

decadent_profile_zps24b2163b.jpg

to_the_monastery_zpse37b6f75.jpg

I’ve decided that Merigo can be raised at a monastery until he is old enough to begin his education. Perhaps the monks will do a better job with him than they did Lorenzo.

daughter_born_zps5558d9ad.jpg

Stefania has given birth to our first daughter! We decided to name her Filomena.

eldest_adult_zpsfc1808e3.jpg

Antoniotto, my eldest son, has reached his 16th year. My Marshal tells me he is not yet finished with his education, and I think he still has a few things to learn before I am finished raising him.

new_pope_zps36185529.jpg

new_popel_profile_zps5867d709.jpg

Shortly after Antoniotto’s sixteenth birthday, news reached us that His Holiness Alexander II had passed away. The Curia elected a Pole named Bogumil Jankowskie, who decided to take the name Adeodatus III upon being elected.

new_papal_zps5a4f4e31.jpg

new_controller_zps0dd0f085.jpg

Rumor has it that King Olaf of Norway has some influence with His Holiness, possibly because of his announced intention to take up the Cross and take the Holy Land from the Saracens.

Last edited:
I will honour yor call aka your comment and now I am present! This story reminds me of a sweet past mate .Youmade a difficult choice but I think that provided the Opportunity you will rise tremendously

VII - Marriage Politics

mike the knight: Thank you!

Chapter VII
Marriage Politics

February 1084 - June 1085

After we learned of the death of Pope Alexander II, we received word that Agapito was now being fostered at the court of the Archbishop of Tuscany, who happens to be the late Pope’s nephew.

tuscan_foster_zps71a3c693.jpg

I sent out emissaries to find a good wife for Antoniotto after his 16th birthday.

Selova de Courselles is the daughter of the Chancellor of the Kingdom of Aragon. Rumor has it she is also in charge of the king’s spies.

aragonese_prospect_zps488d35d5.jpg

At the Aragonese court, my agents also found Leonor, a niece of King Sancho of Aragon.

bastards_daughter_zpsb2a348c5.jpg

Her father is Sancho Ramirez Jimenez, bastard brother of King Sancho of Aragon.

Tota is the daughter of Ramiro Jimenez and Gro Svendsdottir Knytling. Her father is a brother of Sancho, who was King of Navarre until he ceded it to the Muslims in 1081, and her mother’s father is the King of Denmark.

basque_danish_zpsb6a43607.jpg

While my agents were searching for suitable matches, I learned that my old rival Alberto the Red, formerly of Corsica and late Master of Spies to the Consul of Pisa, had passed away.

dead_rival_zpsb79e01b4.jpg

Unfortunately, his eldest surviving daughter is only 14, and not currently eligible for marriage.

rivals_daughter_zpsd4070250.jpg

Another possible match that my agents found for Antoniotto is Marketa, a Bohemian princess.

bohemian_princess_zps81669120.jpg

I must admit that I doubt that her father, the King of Bohemia, would willingly give his daughter to a foreign non-royal court.

While my agents were searching for a good wife for Antoniotto and their reports occasionally reached my ears, Antoniotto was in the last days of his education.

eldest_mature_zps428bb5a9.jpg

eldest_educated_zpsd23d1994.jpg

Antoniotto_zps8ce73339.jpg

There were a few women my agents reported on that I thought would not make the best choices to marry to my sons. The daughter of the Venetian Marshal was, according to reports, short-tempered, while the courtier of the Count of Barcelona was rumored to be suffering from demonic possession..

croatian_venetian_zps9cb891cd.jpg

crazy_catalan_zps6e4c5be8.jpg

A man claiming to be a skilled diplomat offered to teach Azzone.

negotiator_zps8cdf4f99.jpg

I decided to offer him the equivalent of four months of income instead of an entire year’s tax income, as he had initially requested. As far as I could tell, the extra tutoring didn't seem to make Azzone any more persuasive.

paying_negotiator_zps962a4c92.jpg

One of the candidates for Antoniotto’s wife that I found to be particularly interesting was the young Chancellor of Corsica.

Norman_Corsica_zps3e62a888.jpg

Agapito reached the age of 16 and returned to Cagliari. About a month after his return, Costante said he was an excellent scholar and had learned everything he might need to serve as a man of the cloth.

Agapito-theologian_zps7a301187.jpg

Agapito_zps641e6daa.jpg

Meanwhile, I learned that the eldest daughters of King Olaf of Norway and the late Alberto of Corsica had come of age.

norse_princess_zps62e315e9.jpg

grown_rivals-daughter_zpse78a759a.jpg

I sent messages to both King Olaf of Norway and my liege Consul Gentile of Pisa proposing that Princess Astrid and Bianca Obertenghi marry Antoniotto.

Some time passed before my liege informed me that he would not approve the marriage of Bianca to Antoniotto.

liege_declines_zpsc8366bfe.jpg

I have my doubts that King Olaf will approve the marriage of his daughter to my son, considering the vast difference in rank, but there’s always hope...

Long live the King!

Chapter VIII
Winning a Throne

June 1085 - April 1087

Norse_wedding.jpg

To my surprise, the King of Norway consented to marry his eldest daughter to my son. The same day, I send a message to my liege proposing that Agapito marry Bianca Obertenghi.

second_to_rivals-daughter.jpg

Unfortunately, my liege didn’t accept this proposal.

liege_declines.jpg

I also sent a proposal to Corsica proposing that Agapito marry the Steward of Corsica.

second_to_norman.jpg

I decided to make some chances to my Council.

new_council-1.jpg

Antoniotto’s wife, Princess Astrid of Norway, seems like she would make a better Chancellor than Bianca Morosini, and Antoniotto replaced his mother Stefania as my spy master.

old_chancellor.jpg

Astrid_chancellor.jpg

wife_not-spy.jpg

At length, we finally received a positive response from Corsica.

second-norman-marriage.jpg

spite_rebellion.jpg

My rival the Bishop of Piombino is very loyal to our mutual liege the Consul of Pisa, while I only became a vassal of Pisa because the alternative was losing Cagliari to Genoa. I have decided to work toward becoming independent again. I don’t plan to lose any sleep If I can cause trouble for my rival and my liege in the process.

In early February 1086 we received word that Norwegian crusaders had taken Jerusalem from the Saracens.

Norse_Jerusalem.jpg

(Unfortunately, the son of the Norwegian countess who received Jerusalem as the result of a peace deal is an excommunicated heretic.)

Agapito and Muriella’s first child is also my first grandchild.

first_grandchild.jpg

They named him Emmanuele.

Lorenzo came of age, and I decided to propose that he marry Froizza, the eldest living daughter of my liege the Consul of Pisa. The Consul accepted, for a change. Perhaps he thought that allowing his daughter to marry one of my sons would improve our relations and dissuade rebellion.

Lorenzo.jpg

liege-daughter.jpg

(For some reason, I failed to take any screenshots between June and November 1086.)

On August 2, 1086, I informed Mariano, the Judge of Arborea, that I intended to press my legitimate claim to his title by force. Pisa also declared war on Arborea, and Arborea’s ally the Duke of Upper Lorraine declared war on Pisa. In September, we had some trouble with Arborean soldiers raiding through the countryside and in early October of the same year Froizza became depressed. About a month later, Froizza accused her husband of committing adultery.

adultery-accusations.jpg

As a result of what I told her, there were rumors at court of her committing adultery and my doubting the existence of God.

Mariano refused the peace offerings I made during the course of the war against him. We learned in early February 1087 that the Norwegians had unfortunately lost Jerusalem to the Muslims on January 27, 1087.

On January 30, 1087 Mariano of Arborea accepted my peace offering, which gave me the title of Judge of Arborea and all of his wealth. (170 gold in game terms) With my profits, I made a donation to the Pope in exchange for being crowned King of Sardinia, which brought an end to my being subject to Pisa. (in-game, Duke of Sardinia)

Shortly after being crowned King of Sardinia, an emissary from the Count of Ancona brought a proposal of alliance.

anconan-proposal.jpg

ancona-ally.jpg

The Count of Ancona

I made Antoniotto the Judge of Cagliari.

heir-cagliari.jpg

I have heard Azzone described as being very noble and generous lately.

Azzone-chivalrous.jpg

Azzone-personality.jpg

"Growing Strong"

Fun fact: This post makes this AAR my longest to date in terms of number of updates.

Chapter IX
Growth and Stability

August 1087 - December 1088

Merigo-prodigy_zpsa488e782.jpg

I am told that Merigo has shown the potential to be a very skilled statesman some day.

Merigo-prodigial_zps7a9080f4.jpg

king-rebel_zps13ffdf9b.jpg

Since I no longer have a liege to rebel against, it seems silly to still feel rebellious. I am the highest secular authority on the island of Sardinia, after all. If anything, my sons, the curators, or the commoners are the ones who would have any reason to feel rebellious, and I'm certain they don't.

dead-baby_zps3f3963f7.jpg

Lorenzo and Froizza's daughter Virginia joined the saints in Heaven at the age of five months.

befriending_bishop_zpsa25d4297.jpg

The Bishop of Siena is also a rival of the Bishop of Piombino. I’ve heard it said that the enemy of your enemy is your friend, so I think I might become a friend of the Bishop of Siena.

The Bishop of Siena
bishop-friend_zps841639ca.jpg

more-stable_zps988d6204.jpg

My kingdom seems more peaceful, prosperous, and stable lately.

Before and after this event fired
before-after_zpsbca983fc.jpg

My son Antoniotto called for me to abdicate in his favor and called me old at a tournament recently.

heir-insult_zps03753d40.jpg

Obviously I could not let such impudence be without some consequences.

Giacenti Cenci asked for my permission to retire.

random-retire_zpsb9c7dae5.jpg

I couldn’t think of any reason for her to remain in my service, so I gave my permission. I’m not even sure I remember how I met her.

random-retiree_zps11f511c4.jpg

Antoniotto’s wife Astrid hasn’t been very happy lately.

Norse-depressed_zps38550824.jpg

I might be unhappy too if I had to learn a new language very far from home and anyone else who spoke my language.

I decided that Merigo will recieve an education at arms.

merigo-martial_zps6f9fa913.jpg

Perhaps he can be a skilled Marshal for his brothers or enter the service of another ruler.

Lorenzo has grown close to his father-in-law, the Consul of Pisa.

Lorenzo-pisa_zps4af6e704.jpg

If Gentile d’Appiano has any hard feelings about my breaking free of his suzerainty, he apparently hasn’t included Lorenzo in them.

Lorenzo’s wife Froizza has finished her education, and is considered to be a good scholar.

pisan-theologian_zps817ddfd0.jpg

Maybe that’s why she’s been happier lately.

cheered-nun_zps10c5835f.jpg

Azzone has finished his education, and has become a master of diplomacy and negotiation.

azzone-educated_zpsbf78a5ff.jpg

I thought it was weird that the event fired twice. I'm not sure what happened.
azzone-educated2_zpsd4b5fe06.jpg

azzone-grey_zps66d17657.jpg

Last edited:
I'm beginning to run out of ideas for clever chapter titles.

Dovahkiing: Thank you! Whenever I see your username, I always want to start singing the Skyrim theme ("Dovahkiin/Dovakiin/naal ok zin los vahriin..."). I keep thinking I should acquire Skyrim, but I got Oblivion for Christmas last year and... well, I'm still playing it. One does not simply finish an Elder Scrolls game. The same could probably be said of Paradox games, but I digress.

Based on the screenshots I had taken, I seem to have reloaded at one point during this section. I don't remember when I was playing this particular section, but I do know it's been a while. I'm almost caught up to where I'll have to start playing and taking screenshots again.

Chapter X
Atonement

January 1089 - August 1090

I have been informed that Lorenzo's clerical education is complete.
Lorenzo-cleric_zpsc585f18d.jpg

Lorenzo-portrait_zpsd1476fae.jpg

I make discreet inquiries to find a proper bride, and my agents mention the eldest daughter of the Count of Barcelona.

Catalan_possibility_zpsc14d9e3c.jpg

I send a proposal, and Count Ramon Berenguer accepts.
Catalan_proposal_zps1b04d7d8.jpg

Catalan_marriage_zpsd165cc69.jpg

Shortly thereafter, Lorenzo claims that he is better suited to being the court chaplain. Despite the vicious rumors about his beliefs, or lack thereof, Costante has been loyal and faithful in his tenure as my chaplain.

chaplain-dispute_zpsce906dfb.jpg

Our ally goes to war against the Muslims in Syracuse, but for some reason Genoa is allied with the Muslims.

ancona-genoa_zps3f90c176.jpg

I decide not to take the risk of going to war against Genoa again. When I fought Genoa in 1073, the only reason I kept my throne was because I swore fealty to Pisa. If I were to try fighting Genoa again, I believe the outcome would be similar, except in order to survive I'd have to offer to swear fealty to the Pope or the Holy Roman Emperor, and neither would be inclined to allow me to leave their suzerainty without consequences.

Costante has been my court chaplain for almost 16 years.
faithful-chaplain_zps4d620f69.jpg

spymaster-spouse_zps133e5c93.jpg

ill-duchess_zps89df6b08.jpg

Stefania has not been feeling well of late. We pray for her speedy recovery.

ascalon-templars_zpsa08a7ca6.jpg

News from the Holy Land - apparently the Norse who had taken Ascalon from the Muslims have given the city and surrounding lands to a order of knights who call themselves the Knights of the Temple and have sworn to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land.

befriending-urbino_zps3fb134bc.jpg

Once again, Lorenzo claims that he would be a better chaplain than Costante.

Lorenzo-chaplain_zps11b9d945.jpg

This time, I give in. While Costante served me loyally, Lorenzo is my son.

the new Council
new-council_zpsb91237f0.jpg

Filomena is nearly old enough to begin her education.
Filomena-preconvent_zpsc8d31e25.jpg

I think I shall send her to live with one of the curatorial families for some time, until I can send her to a convent.
Filomena-curatorial_zpsb469be54.jpg

atonement_zpsb37889eb.jpg

It seems even the Pope has heard the rumors. I should have known that telling my daughter-in-law to get even with my son was a mistake when she accused him of committing adultery.

arborean-training_zps9afbe398.jpg

Hopefully the training grounds will improve the quality of the Arborean levy.

We have learned that His Holiness Adeodatus III has passed away at the age of 58 years.
Victor3-elected_zps3f7d4a8e.jpg

The Curia elected Anselmo of Lucca (nephew of the late Pope Alexander II) who took the name Victor III upon his coronation. Rumor has it that the King of Norway continues to have some influence with the new Pope.

His Holiness Victor III shortly after his acession
Victor3_zps56f39f80.jpg