• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertouch

Musical Tree Surgeon
16 Badges
Feb 15, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Just to give it its own thread, with a correct header. Thanks again to Doomdark, who posted this:

v1.04 [[edit: preliminary]]

MAJOR:
- Revised the Message Setting system
- Religion groups are now marked playable in the religion file (no more hard coded rule)
- AI: Improved marriage acceptance. Smarter about "Desires Better Alliance". Values prestige gain or loss higher.
- Added some useful status info to the delayed character tooltip (similar to the info in debug mode)
- Cooldown added to excommunications (only for the same Pope though)
- Doubled the flanking damage bonus in combat
- Increased the flank leader Martial skill bonus in combat by 50%
- Nerfed taxes given by bishops to Anti-Popes by 50%
- Holy Orders now cost maintenance if you're in at least one offensive, non-Crusade war
- Halved all peasant revolt risk factors
- Added an "Isolated County" revolt risk modifier and cut the special events that used to simulate it
- Peasant Army size is now determined by the biggest holding garrison size (so they will always be dangerous)
- The Succession War CBs now have the proper success outcome
- Fixed a bug with the usurpation of titles that would hand over all vassals too
- AI: More wary of expensive assassinations
- AI: Fixed some issues with the correct Casus Belli choice
- AI: Tweaked vassal revolt risk to depend more on ambition from traits
- The duchies of Cornwall and Brittany are now de jure part of the Kingdom of Wales
- Buffed the Caliphates and the Seljuks. Nerfed the Byzantines.
- Added vassal Seljuk mercs; the Ghilman
- Now shows a portrait of the target in available player plots
- Hooked in missing plot icon in available player plots

MINOR:
- Upped the chances of dying due to disease a little bit
- Increased the effects of the genius, quick, slow, imbecile and inbred traits
- Reduced the levy size effect of some of the "recently occupied" modifiers
- Nominated bishops are now properly disinherited at once
- Combat events will not happen until three days into a combat (to avoid commander deaths and such when overrunning tiny forces)
- When an Anti-Pope is installed in Rome, the old Pope no longer becomes an Anti-Pope
- Waived the opinion penalty for held elector titles for elective duchies and below
- Fixed a CTD issue that could occur in tooltips when hovering over Holding modifiers as they expire
- Vassal mercs can now always be employed by their liege, no matter their religion
- Scaled wealth effects and triggers are now based on nominal peacetime income
- Fixed an error in the opinion warning when banishing characters (not the correct figure.)
- The game will now also auto-generate an appropriate number of traits for children with not enough scripted traits
- Added a text warning/explanation for DoW on a revolter
- Traits are now read from multiple files, facilitating modding
- Fixed an issue with event ids in a namespace
- Fixed an issue with flipping "random god names" tooltips in fire event effect tooltips
- Fixed a bug with the decision 'Demand Duchy from liege' with duke tier lieges (should not be available)
- Fixed a tooltip issue with the "any" type event triggers
- Better tooltips for event triggers 'higher_tier_than' and 'lower_tier_than'
- Re-enabled selection of the same type of plot again for players
- Fixed an issue with save/reload of the last selected plot/ambition
- Fixed an issue with protected inheritance not always working under Gavelkind
- Exported MAX_ELECTOR_TITLES_LEGALLY_HELD to defines
- Exported the max duchies held opinion penalty to defines
- Exported the tax penalty for bishops loyal to the Pope or Anti-Pope to the defines
- The "recently conquered" holding penalties are no longer applied during civil wars or wars between vassals
- AI: Fixed a bug where the AI would grant titles to vassal mercs
- Added 'same_guardian' trigger
- Slightly nerfed William of Normandy's initial army size
- Switched the portraits of Harold and William the Conqueror
- Changed some title colors to conform better to their cultural region
- Added proper history for the Prince-Bishopric of Agen
- The Earl of Atholl is now a _legitimate_ bastard

Due date supposedly...well, supposedly tomorrow. Friday. Hoopla.

Last edited:
Keep in mind information can change at anytime, but I'd believe the vast majority of that will be implemented.

They said it was for gameplay reasons.

Personally I'm hoping someone with more savvy than I can mod the files so that they're not. Brittany can be its own de jure kingdom for all I care but don't touch my Wales.

I'm curious, why are Cornwall and Brittany de jure part of Wales?

That was pretty much my reaction, too.

It might be to make it more difficult to form the Kingdom of Wales, since right now all you need are three counties. If the Duke of Gwynedd or the Duke of Deheubarth get all of their de jure duchies, they can form it just like that.

But here I was hoping for Sicily and southern Italy to be removed from Byzantium's de jure empire territory...

Cornwall I can kiiiiinda see, but Brittany? If nothing else that means a Breton Duke could become "King of Wales" while holding only one Welsh province.

That was pretty much my reaction, too.

It might be to make it more difficult to form the Kingdom of Wales, since right now all you need are three counties. If the Duke of Gwynedd or the Duke of Deheubarth get all of their de jure duchies, they can form it just like that.

But here I was hoping for Sicily and southern Italy to be removed from Byzantium's de jure empire territory...

Ah well for sicily. Also I didn't see any mention of the fact that, with a titular kingdom/empire title, you can change crown authority without anyone voting...
But I saw a lot of changes I like.

I am not sure I like this "Nerf Byzantium, embiggen the Islamic players" thing.
In the half-dozen games I have played for any signiifcnat length, they either get stomped, break into civil wars, or eventually pull through.
It wasn't until they became victims of their own multi-sided civil wars that they entered terminal decline in our time, and CKII need not reflect historic simulation, merely a grand strategy.

I'd be in favour of different Byzantine mechanics being developed and brought in during a new Build cycle (eg: EU3's HttT\DW new gameplay mechanics) that an arbitrary nerf this early.

I am not sure I like this "Nerf Byzantium, embiggen the Islamic players" thing.
In the half-dozen games I have played for any signiifcnat length, they either get stomped, break into civil wars, or eventually pull through.
It wasn't until they became victims of their own multi-sided civil wars that they entered terminal decline in our time, and CKII need not reflect historic simulation, merely a grand strategy.

I'd be in favour of different Byzantine mechanics being developed and brought in during a new Build cycle (eg: EU3's HttT\DW new gameplay mechanics) that an arbitrary nerf this early.

I suppose I can understand. But, considering that the decline of the byzantine empire was a major reason for the creation of crusades to the holy land, and this game is called crusader kings, I kind of get how pressure from the more powerful islamic countries should be going on for the crusades to make sense.

Cornwall I can kiiiiinda see, but Brittany? If nothing else that means a Breton Duke could become "King of Wales" while holding only one Welsh province.

From Wikipedia:
"The Duchy's culture was, and remains, celtic. In modern times the resurgent Breton language is the leading indicator used to list modern Brittany as a Celtic Nation. Its rulers and people were part of a larger, but fragmented, celtic region that aligned celtic Brittany to the celtic Duchies of Cornwall and Wales in the British Isles, and Christian Bishopric of Galicia in Spain."

I suppose I can understand. But, considering that the decline of the byzantine empire was a major reason for the creation of crusades to the holy land, and this game is called crusader kings, I kind of get how pressure from the more powerful islamic countries should be going on for the crusades to make sense.

Well but the irony now is that with stronger islamic countries successful crusades will be even harder.

Perhaps we could link the first few crusades to the holy land to be alliances with the Byzantine empire, like how the 1st crusade was supposed to be (in theory at least)?

From Wikipedia:
"The Duchy's culture was, and remains, celtic. In modern times the resurgent Breton language is the leading indicator used to list modern Brittany as a Celtic Nation. Its rulers and people were part of a larger, but fragmented, celtic region that aligned celtic Brittany to the celtic Duchies of Cornwall and Wales in the British Isles, and Christian Bishopric of Galicia in Spain."

As far as I know there has never been any shared Welsh-Cornish-Breton polity. The languages are somewhat mutually intelligible, but that's it.

There's a sort of shared Celtic consciousness nowadays, but it's collective to the whole Celtic world (eg includes Ireland and Scotland too) and is, despite its harking back to ancient tradition, an explicitly late 19th century creation.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's Welsh. You might as well throw in a couple of Irish counties to the Kingdom of Wales on the grounds that they're Celtic too., or Ypres and Brugges to England because they're both West Germanic.

To be honest a lot of those things listed are tweaks which modders are already working on. Why haven't they fixed the problems with independence wars? Like when the Seljuks declare war on a revolting Byzantine Armenia and the Seljuks war score ends up being used by the Byzantines to end the rebellion.

And the broken defensive holy wars, where Poland is entirely occupied by Baltic pagans only for them to sign a white peace and withdraw with no land changing hands. Why don't the pagans join the war on the side of the nation that is actually being attacked, so when peace is signed all parties involved go home rather than 6 separate and inevitably pointless holy wars dragging on for a decade.

Also, please allow successful defensive wars to be transformed into offensive counterattacks i.e. allow the defender to make territorial counter claims during a defensive war if it is going particularly well.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's Welsh. You might as well throw in a couple of Irish counties to the Kingdom of Wales on the grounds that they're Celtic too., or Ypres and Brugges to England because they're both West Germanic.
The Irish were much further removed linguistically and culturally from the Celts that resided in the Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. Despite being separated by seas, these three communities sprang from a common cultural, linguistic, and ethnic pool, and had trade, cultural exchanges, and inter-marriages with each other far more than they did with their more barbaric neighbors (saxons, normans, and franks)

In this era, the sense of being "Welsh" or "Cornish" or "Breton" was just being defined. In the Saxon era, they would all have considered themselves "Britons" and their language, Brythonic, was virtually identical in Cornwall and Brittany through the 1100s. The idea of a single de jure British kingdom is fantasy, of course, but so is the idea of any kind of united Welsh kingdom in this period (or Irish or Finnish or African...). If you think of it as a successor to Arthur's Briton, maybe it makes some sense.

In any event, I think it's an interesting solution to some game play issues that has some historical justification. Brittany should never have been part of de jure France. And it was too easy to form the Kingdom of Wales as a Welsh Count. Unfortunately, the fact that Brittany taking just one more province will now be able to form "Wales" may lead to new gameplay issues. But I'm willing to give it a chance.

As for nerfing Byzantium and buffing the Turks and Arabs - that's great! Byzantines are ridiculously over-powered, and the Muslims are ridiculously underpowered. The whole point of the game is to fight the infidels. But what's the fun when it isn't much of a challenge now. I NEVER see the Byzantines fall to the Infidel, or even look like they're breaking a sweat. Maybe they lose one or two border provinces, to the Turks, but that's it. Generally, they're sitting pretty, dominating the Holy Land, themselves. They might collapse during a civil war, but always rebound. If they do decline, it's because Sicily or some western power has succeeded in eating Arabs and turned its sights east/north.

But I also wonder that some of the civil war issues don't appear in the fix list. I've seen Seljuk attacks that look promising fade into nothing, in an instant, as a result of odd war/peace mechanics. Can I still hope there are issues addressed that don't appear on the current patch contents list? Some changes, here, combined with some much needed buffs, might allow something like the Rum Sultanate to form.

The Irish were much further removed linguistically and culturally from the Celts that resided in the Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. Despite being separated by seas, these three communities sprang from a common cultural, linguistic, and ethnic pool, and had trade, cultural exchanges, and inter-marriages with each other far more than they did with their more barbaric neighbors (saxons, normans, and franks)

In this era, the sense of being "Welsh" or "Cornish" or "Breton" was just being defined. In the Saxon era, they would all have considered themselves "Britons" and their language, Brythonic, was virtually identical in Cornwall and Brittany through the 1100s. The idea of a single de jure British kingdom is fantasy, of course, but so is the idea of any kind of united Welsh kingdom in this period (or Irish or Finnish or African...). If you think of it as a successor to Arthur's Briton, maybe it makes some sense.

In any event, I think it's an interesting solution to some game play issues that has some historical justification. Brittany should never have been part of de jure France. And it was too easy to form the Kingdom of Wales as a Welsh Count. Unfortunately, the fact that Brittany taking just one more province will now be able to form "Wales" may lead to new gameplay issues. But I'm willing to give it a chance.

As for nerfing Byzantium and buffing the Turks and Arabs - that's great! Byzantines are ridiculously over-powered, and the Muslims are ridiculously underpowered. The whole point of the game is to fight the infidels. But what's the fun when it isn't much of a challenge now. I NEVER see the Byzantines fall to the Infidel, or even look like they're breaking a sweat. Maybe they lose one or two border provinces, to the Turks, but that's it. Generally, they're sitting pretty, dominating the Holy Land, themselves. They might collapse during a civil war, but always rebound. If they do decline, it's because Sicily or some western power has succeeded in eating Arabs and turned its sights east/north.

But I also wonder that some of the civil war issues don't appear in the fix list. I've seen Seljuk attacks that look promising fade into nothing, in an instant, as a result of odd war/peace mechanics. Can I still hope there are issues addressed that don't appear on the current patch contents list? Some changes, here, combined with some much needed buffs, might allow something like the Rum Sultanate to form.

Right, even after the move form the 'great' brittany to the 'little' brittany, links and cultural ties became stronger.

But 5 century before the game, it is said it was a kingdom across the channel, Emrys Wledic was the chieftain/King/dux of it. But it was not a Welsh Kingdom; more a roman Brittonic kingdom ; similaire to the Roman Kingdom of Syagrius. To be noted , both were allied at the time.

that is the only recorded moment (by Sidoyne Appolinaire letters, so must be exact) were a celtic kingdom was on both side of the channel.

Do not be confused by reference to Uther and Arthur, Emrys Wledic (Ambrosius Aurelianus in latin) was a real and hystorical personage

Also, please allow successful defensive wars to be transformed into offensive counterattacks i.e. allow the defender to make territorial counter claims during a defensive war if it is going particularly well.

No... better not. Game already is very easy for those playing for expansion, there's no need to make it even easier. Of course we have some EU 3 style players here who are convinced you have to take all the enemy territory and get monies from forcing defeat, but it's their problem not the game's. How much simplier and faster would it be to just force opponent to white pease and then insta-DoW? System is rather good as it is - I'd even say it should limit the player and blobs even more than it does now.

As far as I know there has never been any shared Welsh-Cornish-Breton polity. The languages are somewhat mutually intelligible, but that's it.

There's a sort of shared Celtic consciousness nowadays, but it's collective to the whole Celtic world (eg includes Ireland and Scotland too) and is, despite its harking back to ancient tradition, an explicitly late 19th century creation.

Galicia has strong celtic cultural influences. So do regions of China. Its pretty dumb to tie mainland France to Wales. Isn't Doomdark Scottish? Find it eyebrow raising anyone can treat 'Celtic' culture as national identity, even for gameplay reasons. What's next, Hungary and Poland merged? :eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.