• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If those hydrogen bombs fly then the world is going to become a darker place in a hurry. I wonder how many industrial cities Germany would be willing to lose before ceasing its support of the Bourbons.

I can't imagine the German populus will be enthused..

Francois is a Hohenzollern, not a Bourbon.

Francois is a Hohenzollern, not a Bourbon.

Ah, brain fail on my part. It's been a while since i read the earlier parts. I can see how that would complicate matters.

In that case, the Germans will be determined, and if the French are prolific with their nukes, it will cost them.

The First Day

The conventional military offensives of the Third Weltkrieg commenced with the execution of the carefully prepared ‘De Gaulle Plan’ which, based on De Gaulle’s doctrine of mobile warfare, aimed to overrun north France and assume defensive positions along the Franco-German border before the German war machine could mobilise.

In north Africa, in what would remain only a small theatre of the war, the French Empire launched an offensive from Algeria into German Morroco with the goal of securing the port of Marrakech and sealing Africa off from Central Power combatants.

mlky.jpg

But the main south French offensive took place near Poitiers where the first and second armies of the French Empire advanced behind six tank divisions which had quite literally driven through the Occitan Wall in an assault aimed at smashing a hole in north French lines to allow the south French to wheel round to the east and roll up the entire north French defensive line along the Occitan Wall.

fwx8.jpg

With 600,000 men on the south French side being brought to bear on just 60,000 north French defenders it seemed to the imperial French generals that the planned breakthrough was imminent.

sr9f.jpg

This was timed to coincide with the mass dropping of airborne aeroporteé divisions at key locations in north France. With the Royal French Army massed along the Occitan Wall the airborne regiments were able to secure the key ports of Cherbourg and Le Havre intact and almost unopposed - as well as seizing Nantes and cutting off the main route out of the Brittany peninsula for the north French corps defending the naval bases there.

w01e.jpg

whul.jpg

To the north, in the Channel, the Imperial French first fleet under Grand Admiral D’Argenlieu clashed with the Royal French navy in the Battle of the Channel Islands which resulted in the sinking of almost the entire Royal French Navy at the hands of the imperial fleet which survived the battle with only minor damage to its ships and no ships lost - a testament to the superior naval technology of the French Empire.

1f3n.jpg

Most significantly, this naval victory cleared a window for the safe transfer across the Channel of French troops stationed in southern England to the recently captured port of Le Havre - placing them within reach of the lightly defended city of Paris and the north French government.

owuq.jpg

But the greatest south French offensive took place to the east where six atomic hydrogen bombs mounted on V2 rockets rained down on targets across Germany.

tvsq.jpg

Berlin, capital of the German government and home of the Kaiser, Kongsberg, the capital of East Prussia and coronation seat of the Hohenzollern Kings of Prussia , Essen, site of the famous Krupp artillery and munition works, Stuttgart, centre of German engineering and military research, and the Kiel Canal, home of the Kaiserliche Marine, were all destroyed.

In Berlin, where two bombs fell, the results of the bombing were the instant destruction of the Reichstag building, the Brandenburg Gate and the entirety of the historic old city as well as the factory districts. The death toll in the first week was one and a half million from the blast, radiation and the resultant firestorm. Amongst the dead were included almost the entire German government and Reichstag members, along with much of the German imperial family and Kaiser Willhelm III himself.

8ukh.jpg

Kaiser Willhelm III von Preussen of Germany. Reign: 4 June 1941 – 18 March 1951

The cities of both Koenigsburg and Stuttgart were almost completely vaporised and reduced to a flattened, featureless moonscape - along with 400,000 civilians across the two cities.

Essen too, was completely destroyed, ripping the heart out of the Ruhr and destroying in an instant the Krupp plants, home of German panzer tank manufacture, along with most of the Krupp industrial dynasty itself and 350,000 of the city’s inhabitants - as well as overwhelming much of the Ruhr with refugees and taking thousands of men away from the factories to fight, with improvised tools, the firestorm which threatened to spread beyond the shattered remnants of Essen.

8y4h.jpg

In Kiel, not only was the famous military canal sealed with tens of thousands of tonnes of radioactive rubble, but much of the Kaiserliche Marine was caught in the blast at harbour - the greatest navy in the world being reduced to a third rate navy at best in a matter of minutes as the hulls of the ships melted in the heat and their crews were either incinerated or killed by massive doses of radiation poisoning.

However, as the bomb was targeted at the naval harbour, casualties were comparatively light - “only” 100,000 of whom most were military personnel.

The consequences of the attack were both immediate and long lasting. One of the most significant immediate outcomes was to convince Poland, already in receipt of south French provinces regarding the return of Silesia and Poznan, to declare the dissolution of its alliance to Germany and its assumption of a state of “armed neutrality”, cutting Ukrainian forces off from their German allies.

2l13.jpg

Even more significantly, the deaths of Kaiser Willhelm III (though not his heir) and the democratically elected SDP government of Germany created a power vacuum which would swiftly be filled by the conservative and Prussian aristocrat dominated German military - the only national institution which, although damaged, had survived the atomic bombing of Germany without the complete destruction of its command structure.

This was crucial to the future of Germany for the remainder of the war for, while a civilian government would almost certainly have come to a negotiated peace after the atomic bombing, the new de facto military rulers of Germany were so enraged with what they saw as the barbaric massacre of the imperial family and the destruction of centres of German pride and national culture that they were quickly swept up into a vengeful fervour which drowned out any arguments in Germany other than that for brutal vengeance through the defeat of the national enemy and the execution of every single member of the south French government.

These were the results of the atomic bombing of Germany. Yet the De Gaulle Plan outlined the objectives of the attack as simply the “disruption of German mobilisation and command and control, as well as the reduction of enemy morale”.

With five cities destroyed this objective was undoubtedly fulfilled. At the cost of almost two million dead in the first 24 hours of the war, with tens of thousands more to follow in the next few days and weeks through the slow deaths of radiation poisoning.

Last edited:
Ah, brain fail on my part. It's been a while since i read the earlier parts. I can see how that would complicate matters.

In that case, the Germans will be determined, and if the French are prolific with their nukes, it will cost them.

*points to latest update*

The French have indeed been prolific with their nukes.

Things are getting terribly, terribly real. The Old World decides to go out in a blaze of suicidal self destruction even greater than the last Weltkreig. I have to say, I can't imagine Europe maintaining its power even to the extent that it did OTL after this war ends. I think that decolonization is a foregone conclusion once this war devours the brightest and best of this generation and most of Europe. The Tuaregs and every other imperial subject people are likely to fight long insurgencies against the re-united yet doddering Empire, the Arabs to blow apart in a blaze of tribal factionalism and the rest of Europe to chafe against the chains of French dominance. Moreover the French people will demand more liberty and economic prosperity after the war, prosperity that the Emperor might find himself hard pressed to provide. I have difficulty seeing any way that this will create a stronger Europe or a stronger Empire, no matter if they win and reunite France. Plus, there will probably be a significant ETA-like German resistance in Elass-Lothegerin unless Sudetenland-like population transfers occur.

Still, the wheels are in motion and the great maw of the beast War more must once again be slaked with the blood of Europe. The trumpet sounds and the world again marches to war and soon the rats and vultures will grow fat off the carrion of another war of princes.

If the Europeans have been happy enough to nuke each other then why do you think they would hesitate from doing the same or worse to their colonial subjects to keep them in line?

NOw is the PERFECT time for Soviet Union Grab Whole Ukraine and the rest of the Caucasus From German Sphere of Influence!

If the Europeans have been happy enough to nuke each other then why do you think they would hesitate from doing the same or worse to their colonial subjects to keep them in line?

A valid observation, to what extent will this conflict actual normalize nuclear weapon usage against civilian targets as a valid tool of war, and what impact does that have, relatively, on rendering other tactics acceptable.

As is Paradox Forum AAR Tradition. *Ahem* Whenever a Nuclear Weapon is used in game, Sabaton's 'Nuclear Attack' must be posted on the thread *at least* once.

[video=youtube;mzDkwqCF7fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDkwqCF7fs[/video]

I like how you started this war on the pretext of showing disgust at the deaths of about 150 people, only to then casually wipe out hundreds of thousands of German civilians with nuclear bombs.

And if France is truly willing to bombard even colonial rebellions into oblivion with nuclear weapons, then France has lost any minor fragment of moral leadership or authority it may have had left. You better make sure you have alot more of those bombs available in the future then, since I doubt the countless millions of people living in your colonies will just sit idly by and allow themselves to live oppressed by some crazy French emperors who have no regard for human rights....

Good update, although I hope to see the Germans put up a fierce fight to save their homeland.

I like how you started this war on the pretext of showing disgust at the deaths of about 150 people, only to then casually wipe out hundreds of thousands of German civilians with nuclear bombs.

Ah, but you forget, the cause was a government of occupation murdering the French Empire's rightful subjects. Germany didn't have to get involved but since they did the French Empire will use all weapons necessary to defend its nation - and how is a nuke any worse than a heavy bombing campaign?

^The French argument.

A moment of silence for the death of peace and honor in Europe...

Wow. You just obliterated Berlin from the face of the earth. If this continues, it seems that Napoleon IV will have to do with establishing the Confederation of those surviving Germans genetically mutated by bathing in the waters of the Rhine.

However, I'm eager to see if this nuclear holocaust will make or break the German commitment to the war.

Maybe some of them survived Using vault Technology ....

because War....War Never Changes

I can see the film now: in 2009 a group of plucky French archaeologists went to Germany. Four years later their footage was found:

"Sacre bleu! Les Kaiserreich zombies! Aaar-"

Coming soon to a cinema near you.

Oh my. If you thought the treaty of Versailles made Germany revanchist OTL...

In the long run I think the French are going to be wiped from the face of the Earth for what they just did...

To quote Dead Space 2: "We're going to burn for what we did to you"

I can see the film now: in 2009 a group of plucky French archaeologists went to Germany. Four years later their footage was found:

"Sacre bleu! Les Kaiserreich zombies! Aaar-"

Coming soon to a cinema near you.

So,soviets will strike?Or Remain neutral? :unsure:

I've generally found that using atom bombs tactically returned better dividends than bombing political and industrial centers, especially for short wars where the enemy doesn't have the time to enter the death spiral.

Ah, but you forget, the cause was a government of occupation murdering the French Empire's rightful subjects. Germany didn't have to get involved but since they did the French Empire will use all weapons necessary to defend its nation - and how is a nuke any worse than a heavy bombing campaign?

^The French argument.

The Germans are in just the position to catch a postwar baby boom. The cities will be at prewar populations by 1960 if Hiroshima and Nagasaki are any indication.

I've generally found that using atom bombs tactically returned better dividends than bombing political and industrial centers, especially for short wars where the enemy doesn't have the time to enter the death spiral.

The Germans are in just the position to catch a postwar baby boom. The cities will be at prewar populations by 1960 if Hiroshima and Nagasaki are any indication.

Only this isn't Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The bombs are not in the low tens of kilotons range, they're hydrogen bombs which leads us to presume yields several hundred times greater than the very crude fission designs of 1945.

The amount of destruction is going to be far greater and even though the weapons may be cleaner per yield, you'll be looking at widespread contamination. Reconstruction will be possible of course, but the devastation here is incomparable to anything we've seen before as, fortunately for us, we've never seen such weapons deployed against a city.

I imagine the Germans are going to adopt two words as their new de-facto mottos.

For the civilian population, it is now clear (and can be made clear to them by propaganda) that the French are Barbarians who wish to see every single German exterminated. For them, the motive to fight is Überleben, survival.

For the military that survives. I imagine another word will come to mind, carved into weapons and inscribed on bombs and rockets. Vergeltung, vengeance.

I also expect France's allies will be horrified at the suddenness and absoluteness of the destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.