• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheArchMede

General
11 Badges
Jun 16, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
I saved with a stable and profitable economy, but shortly after reloading a quarter of my craftsmen were unemployed and a third of my factories had been closed.

I was concentrating on the influence game at the time so I didn't realise what was going on until my plummeting industrial score threatened my GP status a few months after reloading. By that time high level factories had been closed and knocked back to level 1 so the damage was permanent.

You sure there wasn't an election in the meantime?

So if you are playing a liberal democracy and have to save, you might as well abandon the game?

That's what i do usually. Since the economy is often totally messed up after a reload i only play one-session games (my record is 1882). Last time i tried to reload a game some of my very profitable factories goes in the red and never recovered, never. So it's not even a matter of few days or weeks like some people say, sometime the economy just never recover from a reload.

That's what i do usually. Since the economy is often totally messed up after a reload i only play one-session games (my record is 1882). Last time i tried to reload a game some of my very profitable factories goes in the red and never recovered, never. So it's not even a matter of few days or weeks like some people say, sometime the economy just never recover from a reload.

I think if you can subsidise, switching to a party that allows subsidies if your government allows this, then you can ride it out. However, the world economy is not the same but there are winners and losers. You can actually come out ahead if it rebalances in a way that gives you access to a good that was previously unavailable to your country.

Really though I think the save file needs to have the state of the game properly stored in it, so that it starts up where it left off.

Yes, if factory unstable, because of potential luck of resources or market, that happened on reload.

My advice would be:

After load drop taxes to 0 on low class( or other classes too, if you need there demand, for a short time, in order to increase demand, put your tariffs on -100% for a short time to make factories easier to buy imported goods.

If you spend some government money on military if you have military factories to give them 100% demand, build some forts/ports if you have this kind of factories.

In shot, use government stimuli until industry stabilize itself.

A bit of hassle, but because reload reset economy you need to do that sometimes. (if your industry very stable it can do it itself)

Would like to mention: while this is super annoying, it has never caused a severe problem for me before. Was just playing a game as Sweeden where I was in debt, when ever I loaded the game up since the first few turns the eco crashes and artisans go broke it ended up bank rupting me / defaulting on my debt... Very annoying :(

So the save game doesn't snapshot the economic variables and process? What the heck?

Yea - I dont know how the AI does it, I nearly always have severe financial problems for the first 1-2 years of game, which I spend paying off debt that landed in my lap without me even doing anything...

i don't really like cheating, but to counter this i add a little money to my coffers to compensate. ;)

Lol well I know about that, I dont ever do it unless something absurd/broken happens out of the blue in which case I might reload. I played alot of RTW when younger and reloaded alot, (same with civ3) - in the end I started to do it more and more and more. Slippery slope of morality... Wont do it anymore because it ruins the end feeling of acheivment.

Anyone know why the economic info is not stored? Is it due to system space/mem requirments? Can this be optional?

It's the Artisans again, I think. They have to run through their usual 'try every high demand good until you make some money' thing every time the game is loaded in, which causes mad fluctuations in supply and demand. The majority of actual data is stored - POPs keep their money supply and savings, and all that sort of thing - but 'real' demand must be recalculated immediately, before the Artis have figured out how they were making money prior to the save.

You'd be surprised just how much stuff Artisans consume and make.