• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Scotland1.jpg

Just got the new game and figured why not...let's do a down and dirty gameplay to give For the Glory a spin and see how I do. Plus, it's been a while since I've done a gameplay AAR and maybe I can even add a bit of humor every now and then. I can make no promise that this AAR will either last a long time or go quickly. I could lose interest tomorrow. ;) But for now, let's see if anyone has some advice because it has been a while since I've played Scotland and especially as the AGCEEP does a few different things with the old 100 Yrs War and Scotland's efforts therein.

So, let's get to the game:

Scotland Forever

ScotlandStart1419.jpg

Scotland, 1419

Here we have the starting position for Scotland with which I imagine most are familiar. Unlike vanilla, Scotland does not begin at war with England, though England is at war with the rump of France. I'll try to get a shot of the continent next time out. But for now I have a decision to make. The first thing I do is move one slot towards centralization, my preferred way to run the country. :D But I also have a high troop maintenance as well as I have way more troops than I can really withstand without going to war. Of course, England is ripe for the picking as they are occupied on the continent. I can raise some war taxes if I go to war and try and hold out for a while. The financial summary:

OpeningSummary-1.jpg

I move to research infrastructure and unpause first getting hit with a request by Aragon to join her and Corsica in an alliance. I politely say no thanks hoping for an alliance with Dauphine or France. The Auld Alliance indeed. And then without getting out of February, I am hit with the first major event.

BuchanChoice.jpg

Send the Earls to France or gain Buchan for a war?

I know what I am inclined to do given the situation. But what if there are better arguments from the council? Let's sound them out. Keep Buchan and war with England now right off the bat or send him to France and wait until I am stronger? Will they be as occupied when I am?

I plan on playing some more tonight when I get a chance so the quickest answers will be considered. And those of more assistance may gain a higher seat on the council. ;)

Last edited:
Every good general goes to the scottish! Buchan should remain ;):rofl:

hmmm its been months since ive played EU3. and for the glory looks really different. ill check it out.

and the AAR looks good. good luck wit the english (im so used to saying brits cause of HOI)

Wow -- this brings back alot of memories, but at the same time it sure looks like some amped-up changes to EU II!

Looking forward to seeing how it is!

Rensslaer

Scotland Forever

So where were we...oh yes, I was considering whether or not to send Buchan to France or keep him at home. Well, the French situation looks like this:

France1419.jpg

France, 1419

The grey is Dauphine and the royal blue, the familiar France. In AGCEEP, France will fall soon thanks to English superiority (or should) and Dauphine will become France. To assist, I decide to take your advice and keep Buchan for myself and see what I can do against England (the Anglosphere lover in me cringes but I must since we are honoring Sean Connery...had to use that title. ;) Bonus points for those that can see the connection with a previous AAR. :D)

Buchan.jpg

So now we have Buchan Douglas and a chance to kick some English derriere (let's stay with the Auld Alliance here, shall we?) I am confident that he can come in handy but worry that the English might divert forces from France. And I have a bit of bother with the finances...one of the things I love already from FtG is the use of EUIII's reminders, thusly:

Reminders.jpg

You can probably connect which suggests what but what it is telling me is that I am running out of ducats and fast. I need to DoW soon if I have any hope of staying flush and I am taking a gamble. By May 1419, I am down to 33 ducats and it is now or never. The first diplomat that comes calling to court gets a very serious charge. Declare war on England and Henry V.

Yeah, let's do this!

InvadeEngland.jpg

Invasion of England?

Right off one has to worry that it appears my force is non-existent. Where are my soldiers? I've already had some screenie issues with FtG but that has more to do with Vista than anything the team is doing. Either way, I know I am sending 10,000 infantry and 5,000 cav vs. the 7k force in Northumberland. With Buchan at the lead, I think I have a good chance. From what I recall, the English leaders are all in France. However, England is in an alliance.

Atwar.jpg

Apparently I am also at war with Ireland. Richard of York might be happy were he of age. As it is, I don't have much worry from that side, though I do move my small fleet to the Irish Sea. So it's May 1419 and I am at war with England. Going slowly here at first since I don't have a ton of time to play. But I feel I am ready, the Irish are surely liquored up and are no worry, and I have to hope England keeps their forces on the continent. Go Dauphine...who will soon hopefully declare war against England. :confused: Maybe? Definitely go France!

Up next...the war with England. Does my council have any further plans for their King?

Last edited:
Good to see you writing an AAR again coz! I approve of FtG, finished a first session a few minutes ago.

Fb-fb:

Every good general goes to the scottish! Buchan should remain ;):rofl:
I have to agree. That was my first inclination and I can't see much reason for waiting. In EUII, you are already at war. Why not start it? :D

Base tax loss in core provinces always hurt more than loss of man.
And the more provinces the better, right? At least now while I have a chance vs. England. ;)

hmmm its been months since ive played EU3. and for the glory looks really different. ill check it out.

and the AAR looks good. good luck wit the english (im so used to saying brits cause of HOI)
It's been months since I've played EUIII as well. Not as long for EUII. FtG was something I could easily plunk down $20 for considering the long hours of enjoyment I've had with that game. I'm not sold on all the features yet, but it's a small price to pay for a long time EU player like myself. :)

Wow -- this brings back alot of memories, but at the same time it sure looks like some amped-up changes to EU II!

Looking forward to seeing how it is!

Rensslaer
Indeed. Though not as much for me as I've always been an EUII stalwart. I picked up my 1st Paradox game in a shop when they just started out...the game, EUI. Been a fan ever since. :D

There are definitely some changes to EUII that make it a bit more like EUIII (I freakin' love the new "scroll" feature!) While there are some other things I think they might have done and have not yet (and I really hate the font on the text), I love that they are pushing the great engine that was EUII. It remains my favorite of Pdox games. Thanks for stopping by Renss.

Good to see you writing an AAR again coz! I approve of FtG, finished a first session a few minutes ago.
Thank you, sir! Always a supporter and an appreciated one. So far, really enjoying what they've done. I am looking forward to the Thanksgiving break to really give the game a go.

Thanks to all that commented and will. As stated, this is just a fun game so all the help I can get will be appreciated. Anybody missing Jackie Powers? He might make an appearance with enough requests. ;) No quests yet though...other than beating the English. (sorry, stnylan :p)

I found in my Burgundy game that England keeps the bulk of its forces in England proper while I had to do most of the moving and shaking. Hopefully though it will be different for you than in my game as you may get swallowed by the 4 32,000 rmies England had in my game >.>

Scotland Forever

So we roll into England with the breath of May upon us and this is the battle we find:

ScotsvsEngMay1419.jpg

It ain’t pretty. Buchan apparently had visions of French broads in his mind and not the battlefield because he does rather some small amount to win and little else…it is apparent.

BattleofNorJune1419.jpg

Those English gits are tough. But I feel I still have a worthy army ready to take the battle to them. And I have just the guy to do it…my man, Steve McQueen…

MacQueen.jpg

OK. OK. Maybe it’s MAC-QUEEN, but the idea of the super cool Steve McQueen heading into battle made me feel really good…for the moment. Then I thought better of it. I needed to pull back. Buchan loses in June and I decide to alter plans. Steve changes course to meet the Earl in Lothian. They meet in late June and by July the English Army has arrived, and fully enforced with a stronger contingent from the south. The result:

BattleofLothianA1419.jpg

It doesn’t look promising. The effects of the previous loss are too much and we end up retreating from Lothian which looks something like this:

Buchanloses.jpg

Or perhaps this…

Runaway.jpg

This has not been the best entry into war I’ve had…by a long shot. Is it the layoff from playing EUII? Is it the new game? Or is it just bad judgment? Could it be bad luck? Regardless, I need to find a victory and fast. I am thinking of heading south and putting Northumberland under siege. Surely Buchan can win in a race against those generic Englishmen raping Edinburgh…surely…

I don't think I need to remind the readers that I am bleeding ducats as well, right now. Back with fb-fb later after I get all my wounds tended to. :wacko:

Last edited:
This has not been the best entry into war I’ve had…by a long shot. Is it the layoff from playing EUII? Is it the new game? Or is it just bad judgment? Could it be bad luck? Regardless, I need to find a victory and fast. I am thinking of heading south and putting Northumberland under siege. Surely Buchan can win in a race against those generic Englishmen raping Edinburgh…surely…

What are this Buchan guy's stats? Doesn't seem to be a very good general losing with a 2:1 supperiority. Now, let's hope you can turn this recent misfortune arround or this will be a rather short AAR and not Scotland Forever at all.

There are definitely some changes to EUII that make it a bit more like EUIII (I freakin' love the new "scroll" feature!) While there are some other things I think they might have done and have not yet (and I really hate the font on the text), I love that they are pushing the great engine that was EUII. It remains my favorite of Pdox games.

EuII is my favorite game as well so go FTG! I am only wondering what you mean with the "scroll-future", no idea at all.

I am so very tempted to get ahold of this.

You beat me to it.;) I just bought it and will try it out this evening. May or may not do an AAR but I'll be following this one to see how you screw up.:D I might have to read the manual to see what the changes are from EUII. Good Luck!

Joe

Boot and rally man, you cannot let the English win. Remember Mel Gibson and the sacrifice he made for you!!!

Aye! Freeeeeedoooooooooommmmmmmmm :rofl:

Give it to them english gits :p;)

Fb-fb:​

Jumping on England's back while they're in the HYW... new game, same Scottish strategies. :D

Good luck at this; subscribed.
Quite. Why change a winning strategy...well, gameplay wise. ;)

I found in my Burgundy game that England keeps the bulk of its forces in England proper while I had to do most of the moving and shaking. Hopefully though it will be different for you than in my game as you may get swallowed by the 4 32,000 rmies England had in my game >.>
That would be the death knell, certainly. I have to hope the French and Burgundians keep them busy. Please, oh please!

What are this Buchan guy's stats? Doesn't seem to be a very good general losing with a 2:1 supperiority. Now, let's hope you can turn this recent misfortune arround or this will be a rather short AAR and not Scotland Forever at all.

EuII is my favorite game as well so go FTG! I am only wondering what you mean with the "scroll-future", no idea at all.
It's driving me crazy. You can bet were I playing England, Buchan would be all up in my business causing problems and general mayhem. No idea how he could be beat so badly other than it is a mountainous province. Still, that should only take out my cav superiority. I'm stumped.

And the scroll feature I speak of is being able to use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out much like EUIII which you could never do with EUII. It's very nice. :D

Things don't look great but I believe you can pull it off. Is this your first time playing FtG or EUII for a long time? If so it can be quite tricky getting the hang of the battles after EUIII.
First time on FtG but I've played EUII just a few months ago. I have to chalk this up to bad luck. Could not have come at a worse time, but hey...that's life. :rolleyes:

I am so very tempted to get ahold of this.
Indeed, it is a well spent $20. Were it more than that, I may have had misgivings, but this is just the right price.

You beat me to it.;) I just bought it and will try it out this evening. May or may not do an AAR but I'll be following this one to see how you screw up.:D I might have to read the manual to see what the changes are from EUII. Good Luck!

Joe
Oh, and believe me Joe...I'll screw this up one way or the other and probably twice. You've read enough of my work over the years to know I'm not the greatest EU player in the world. But like you, when faced with adversity, I shall roll up my sleeves, grit my teeth and head right back...outside to have a quick smoke while I figure out how to beat these bastards. Methinks they have a Crimean ringer in there somewhere. ;)

Boot and rally man, you cannot let the English win. Remember Mel Gibson and the sacrifice he made for you!!!
And of course you are right. I ken. If only I could have his smokin' hot wife from the movie by my side. That would make this far better! :D

Aye! Freeeeeedoooooooooommmmmmmmm :rofl:

Give it to them english gits :p;)
If I have to bankrupt the Scots, I'll fight them on the beaches, in the mountains, in the city and the country. In fact, I've just received word from Sir Bedevere from the last screenshot above:

"What if we built this large wooden badger?"

:eek:

Ah, never mind. Gonna have to do this the old fashioned way. I'll return sometime tonight to regale you with the new and exciting adventures of Scotland's brave and proud...and quite possibly soon, dead.

Last edited:
Scotland Forever

So we jump back into the game and the date is July 26, 1419. I’m down to 15 ducats and Buchan is retreating. Something has to change quick and I decide I’m going to win this war one way or the other. Some back down from a fight. Some cannot handle failure. Some take their toys and go home. And believe me…I’ve considered it. But I started this war and I’ll be damned if I let the English best me! Especially as some good news signals over the horizon. But first…

I raise war taxes immediately and start minting everything I can. Even the spoons are not safe from the oven. And then in September, I split off my cavalry and send Buchan with some 13,000 strong infantry into Northumberland. Before they arrive, a messenger brings some news:

BurgundyDoWEngland.jpg

Especially notice the log there…Burgundy has declared war on England bringing Brabant along for the ride. I say no to the very persistent Aragon yet again and soldier on. By October, Buchan is in place and the siege begins proper.

SiegeNorthumberland.jpg

Now we have a waiting game. And the sweating game as I watch the till. I grab some chips and a beer and watch as the two go at it, hoping mine can go a bit quicker. I realize I left my fleet in the Irish Sea and send her home so she can blockade the English port. As the new year of 1420 dawns, I run into a portion of the English fleet…

NavalBattle.jpg

Yet again…I lose. Grrrr! No matter. I will go on. I pull my tired fleet to port and move my gaze back to our sieges. And then in February, I receive the news I was hoping for.

BurgundyInvites.jpg

Oh yes, thank you. I do think I’ll join. Of course, I am now also at war with the Pope, Naples, Provence and Genoa. Ummm…no matter. I push forward. Except I see that the English siege is proceeding faster than my own:

Duelingsieges.jpg

Something drastic must be done. But fear not…for I have a cunning plan. What is it, you ask? Well, I happen to know a couple of bankers that are willing to loan me a little spending change…like enough for a proper army to push the English back south. Yes…I take a 200 ducat loan and immediately begin recruitment.

March1420.jpg

March, 1420

And not only that, I decide it’s time for Buchan to return home. He will lead this army. Yes…a cunning plan indeed. Foolproof, I say. What? What is that you say? You’re skeptical? Well…

UpYours.jpg

See, even the little ones are getting involved. We can’t lose. :D

Last edited: