Isn't it about time Confucianism got a rework?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sidolowka

Colonel
19 Badges
Sep 3, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
So the last dev diary addressed two relatively minor religions, Sikh and Zoroastrianism. Sikh is recieving a completely unique overhaul to its Guru mechanics, which, on top of its current military might, might give it the push it needed to be one of the better religions in the region. The Zoroastrian reworks, while not much more than a watered down version of the Coptic mechanics, are given fair enough attention for what's a one province (two in the next patch) religion.

On that note (along with the Confucian inquisitor thread), I was wondering if Confucianism could get an overhaul too, considering how it's the only remaining non-Pagan religion in the game that actively punishes the nation for using its mechanics, while providing... less than satisfactory bonuses. In case some of you haven't played as a Confucian nation before (I don't blame you, the two countries that start with it are both rather boring to play), here's a quick overview of the mechanics.

• Confucianism gives +2 Tolerance of Heretics and -10% Admin Tech Cost
  • Confucian nations have a Harmony meter that scales from 0 to 100.
  • At 0 Harmony, the nation has -3 Tolerance of the True Faith, +25% Development Cost, -1 Yearly Legitimacy and -2 Yearly Meritocracy.
  • At 100 Harmony they gain +1 Tolerance of the True Faith.
  • Confucian nations can harmonise religions, which lets the nation treat provinces of that religion as the true faith.
  • Harmony increases by 1 every year. Each point in stability increases harmony gain by +0.25 yearly, maxing out at +0.75 at 3 stability.
  • Harmonising one religion takes 34 years, and decreases harmony by 3 every year.
  • Confucian nations cannot culture convert provinces with harmonised religions.
  • Confucian nations also cannot convert harmonised religions to Confucian.
  • Converting non-harmonised religions to Confucian will directly reduce Harmony according to the development converted. E.G. Converting Furdan (15 dev) will decrease Harmony by 15.
  • Harmonised religions will provide the following benefits.
Christian-5% Stability Cost
Muslim+5% Trade Efficiency
Dharmic+1 Tolerance of the True Faith
Shinto+5% Infantry Combat Ability
Vajrayana+5% Production Efficiency
Theravada-5% Advisor Cost
Mahayana-7% Idea Cost
Pagan-0.5 Unrest

It's rather obvious that Paradox designed Confucianism to be a 'Humanist' religion that strays far away from actively converting provinces. Converting merely a few provinces would instantly drop Harmony to 0, meaning you get 0, or even negative Tolerance of the True Faith, having the dubious honour of being the only religion in the game capable of doing so. This is however supposed to be balanced out by being able to harmonise religions. This may sound like a decent tradeoff on paper, but in reality,

It is simply better to leave religions unharmonised. Considering how it is extremely easy to reach +2 tolerance of both heretics (+2 base, +2 Humanist) and heathens (+2 Humanist, +1 Legitimacy, +2 Burgher privilege), taking Humanist would simply outclass harmonising religions, since not doing so would result in a net increase in unrest. (+2 tolerance of heretics/heathens -> 0 tolerance of the true faith) The harmonised religion bonuses are also pathetic when considering the opportunity cost of, well, not having the awful debuffs for 8 decades. -5% stab cost is laughable, +5% Trade Efficiency is barely noticeable, and +5% Production Efficiency wouldn't even be considered decent filler for a national idea. The only somewhat decent bonuses are the -0.5 Unrest and +5% Infantry Combat Ability, but considering how religions likes Protestantism can have -1 Unrest, +5% Land/Naval Morale and +2,5 Discipline simply from sitting there long enough, the ridiculously long period of debuffs Confucian countries need to suffer through doesn't make them nearly worth it.

On that note, harmonising takes both way too much time and harmony. Assuming you have an average of 1 stability, harmonising a religion costs 59.5 Harmony. Considering how you start off at 50 Harmony in 1444, this would mean that if you start harmonising a religion anytime before a decade has passed, you would be stuck at 0 Harmony for a fair amount of time until the religion finishes harmonising. Regaining enough Harmony to not have any debuffs would takes another 40 years, meaning that even if you're willing to be stuck with debuffs throughout the entire run, each religious harmonisation cycle requires a ridiculous 74 years. Of course, you also have the option of ignoring the Confucian mechanics and just letting Harmony sit at 100, but that brings us back to point 1 of it simply being better to leave religions unharmonised.

The low Harmony debuffs are also extremely painful. -3 Tolerance of the True Faith is already bad enough, but the +25% Development Cost is absolutely crippling for Ming and Korea, both countries located in the Far East, meaning they either have to dev for the first three institutions, or suffer a 150% Tech Cost penalty. A 25% increase in dev cost would mean that the average institution would cost around an extra 500 mana, summing up to 1500 wasted mana in total. While Korea is spared from further penalties bar the mildly inconvenient -1 yearly legitimacy, Ming is unique in that it also get -2 Yearly Meritocracy slapped on top of that, making it physically impossible to have positive meritocracy gain, even with 3 max level advisors. Small reminder that low meritocracy increases advisor costs.

On top of that, you for some reason, cannot culture convert provinces with a harmonised religion, while also being permanently locked out of converting the province to Confucianism. While this is less of a problem for Ming with its gigantic culture group, Korea is unique in that it is stuck with the worst culture group in the game, consisting solely of Korean. Their mission tree, as if the Confucian religon wasn't insulting enough, has several missions that require converting provinces to Korean culture, meaning they have to either tank the Harmony hits, or colonise a bunch of 3 dev Siberian provinces. (EDIT: A recent patch let provinces held by a colonial nation count for the mission as well, so you now also have the choice of colonising 3 dev Alaskan provinces instead.) Worst case scenario a random event fires changing the religion in Yukjin or Gyeongseong to Mahayana, locking out a branch in their mission tree permanently.

Enough ranting though, here's a few thoughts on what exactly Confucianism needs for it to not be a less than subpar religion that actively discourages the player from using its mechanics.

• Make the Harmony buffs/debuffs scale equally. (At a slightly decreased rate though). 0 Harmony would give -2 ToTF, +15% Dev Cost, -0.5 Yearly Legitimacy and -1 Yearly Meritocracy, while 100 Harmony would give +2 ToTF, -15% Dev Cost, +0.5 Yearly Legitimacy and +1 Yearly Meritocracy. This would mean that high Harmony would have somewhat of an effect, instead of the current system where the Harmony meter ranges from crippling to somewhat ignorable.
  • Allow culture conversion in harmonised provinces. This would also be historically accurate, especially considering the heavy Sinicisation that occured under several Chinese dynasties. Even the Jurchen tribes that established the Qing dynasty were Sinicised nomads in a sense.
  • Lower Harmony increase/decrease so that it doesn't change so rapidly. The base increase rate could be 0.5 while the harmonisation decrease rate would be -2. This would result in a slightly smaller net yearly decrease of 1.5 at 1 stability, but would also mean the regaining of harmony would take far longer. Harmonising a religion would still take 34 years, but would cost 51 Harmony instead of 59.5, while taking 66 years to recover.
  • Make the Harmonisation bonuses actually significant instead of useless filler. Maybe something like
Christian-5% Tech Cost
Muslim+10% Goods Produced
Dharmic+2 Tolerance of the True Faith
Shinto+5% Discipline
Vajrayana+1 Diplomatic Reputation
Theravada-10% Advisor Cost
Mahayana-10% Idea Cost
Pagan-1 National Unrest
This would mean that instead of them being completely irrelevant, the player would have the agency in choosing between simply going Humanist, or taking 74 years of debuffs for a sizeable buff that lasts the rest of the campaign.
  • Considering how most religions in game already have a holy site related to them {Christians (Rome), Muslims (Mecca/Medina), Hindus (Varanasi), Sikhs (Doaba), Buddhists (Pataliputra/Patna), Shintos (Ise), etc.}, maybe add a Confucian exclusive Holy Site in the ingame province of Yanzhou, giving +1 Tolerance of the True Faith, +0.5 Yearly Prestige and +10% Harmonisation Speed. (Qufu, the birthplace of Confucius, is somewhere within its boundaries.)

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
Fun fact, you could theoretically gain a shit tonne of unrest in a province by harmonising its religion. Let's say I'm harmonising a Shinto province.

I could have +3 Tolerance of Heretics from
  • -2 Base
  • +2 Confucian
  • +2 Neo-Confucianism
  • +4 Enforced Religious Rebel Demands
  • -1 Low Legitimacy
While having -5 Tolerance of the True Faith from
  • +3 Base
  • -3 Low Harmony
  • -1 Low Legitimacy
  • -2 Ruler that is a Sinner
  • -2 Enforced Religious Rebel Demands
Meaning that harmonising Shinto would instantly give all Shinto provinces +8 unrest. Good stuff.

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I must agree on this one. Confucianism simply isn't competative religion, unlike Christianity or Islam, Hell even Buddhism have some kick. Firstly, like you wrote, you spend Harmony to harmonize other religions. This takes usualy 30+ years, counting that some events might pop up and decrese harmonization proces. Then you discover, not only that you can't religous convert provinces, which in my part is ok, but you can't culture convert provinces either. Now i don't understand realy why this is blocked, i mean price has been paid in 30+ years of harmonizing and to punish players that way so they can't culture convert, i mean it's ok that Tengri have such restriction when you pick up syncrethic faith, but Confucianism come on. I would realy like that culture conversion thru harmonized religions is unblocked. And as for bufs you're suggesting, i can agree with that since Confucianism is isolated religion. Not many nations follow Confucianism, unlike Christianity or even Hinduism.

Reactions:
I like Confucianism, it's not bad and while it might not be competitive enough to be a "good" religion, it's pretty nice to play from time to time. It's also important to note there are events that allow to speed up harmonization usually for the price of local autonomy.

Culture converting is a really niche thing to do, that there really is no harm in allowing it to Confucian nations, especially considering one of it's main nations - Qing, actually benefits from having provinces of it's main culture. Please allow it already.

Some bonuses are indeed to small, especially Vajrayana, which is pretty pointless to harmonize anyway due to high tolerance of heretics. Christian and Muslim might be more about adding them away from heathens to true faith.

It would really be a good addition too, if the event for the Emperor of China that converts their religion to Confucian were to harmonize previous religion, like it does for Dai Viet or Qing formation.

And, the privilege for burgers is simply OP, so balancing things with this in mind kinda doesn't make sense. It shouldn't be as good.

Reactions:
Great timing since I just finalized my Confucian rework in my mod. Here are my ideas on what Confucianism actually should be (the reforms use Anglican church power since that is the only religion with clickable buttons for custom effects, but if it is actually added you can retexture it or just scrap that entirely):
1603335826571.png

There are a few problems I have with Confucianism.
  1. Harmony is god awful. On my religions tier list that got tweeted out by Paradox, I rated Confucianism as the worst non-native religion (it is only better than Mayan and Totemist). It is even lower than Animist, Zoro, and Judaism because all it does is penalize you with no real benefits. (You cannot culture convert provinces being the main one). Harmony is only "okay" if you are mass blobbing (so singleplayer WC-basically WC) but then you realize that religions like Muslim just straight up start with tolerance thanks to Dhimmi. All other religions can also achieve religious unity by taking religious or humanist, and there is an estate priv for Burghers added in 1.30 that gives Tolerance of Heretics and Heathens, further insulting Confucianism's supposed unique "tolerance."
  2. Harmony does not even make sense. Confucianism in game should really be called Neo-Confucianism, and if you know anything about East Asia, especially Joseon, you'd know that Neo-Confucianism did not tolerate religions well and persecuted this often. Yet in game if you try to do the historical thing you tank an ungodly amount of harmony which makes no sense because that's what your court and nobles would want. By the way, Neo-Confucian event literally makes no sense. Not only are the modifiers outdated (Missionary Strength with Harmony... lol) but they make no sense and should be flipped. Actually the event should not even exist - Confucians in upper class were already Neo-Confucian, something can't "rise" if it was already in place.
  3. Ming and Joseon are both pathetically weak, but especially Korea since player Ming is still absurd in MP. In my opinion, Confucianism should be one of the main things that hold Joseon back from stomping all of its disunited neighbors, not some ahistorical and blatantly railroaded edits like random 5-year truce, less total income than Oirat in 1444, less development than Portugal or even Novgorod.
My reasoning for my edits:
  1. Obviously I got rid of harmony since I believe it to be ahistorical - if you want to return to the ways of tolerating religions, you better pay up with your estates. I was debating whether No Religion Penalty should require all reforms before it, but honestly Muslims get Dhimmi instantly and you are not stacking Tolerance Own with No Religion Penalty (meaning it is better to convert unless you are WC) so I decided against it.
  2. I did not give Confucianism any offensive military quality modifiers, since I wanted it to be a mana-focused religion due to classical Confucianism's emphasis on meritocracy (the idea of promoting on merit, not by heredity/social class). Yes, this does mean Korea and Vietnam also have access to Meritocracy (and Japan if it forms)
  3. Secondary Religion exists to allow nations to tolerate certain religions, which is also historical like Ming with Mahayana.
  4. I loosely based the reform names off of Chinese New Confucianism, Classical Confucianism, and Neo-Confucianism's core ideas (not the warped ones). I mean if the player controls Ming or Joseon they are already turning the nation away from history (I do not think AI should try to pass these reforms if historical settings is on, I don't even think they'd be able to survive that 10 unrest like a human player easily could.
These edits make Confucianism more historical and viable, especially in multiplayer where it is actually a respectable religion (going off of my tiers, I would say it is A-tier or maybe B) mostly thanks to the -15% development privilege. The mana savers and advisor cost also help with spamming more dev.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I dislike Confucianism simply because it doesn't make sense on how it historically worked. I personally believe that religion mechanic should represent how politically the religion worked, instead of trying to gamify how the religion is perceived to work. Harmonization feels like stereotypical "East Asian live in harmony" instead of actual Confucianism practice.

I have a mechanic in mind that I think would be good for Confucianism, but I would like to safe it for a suggestion thread. For now, I would like to say that Confucianism rework should have something to do with advisor because how much Confucianism value scholars and emperor delegating his duty to his minister (instead of doing everything by himself).

Reactions:
I dislike Confucianism simply because it doesn't make sense on how it historically worked. I personally believe that religion mechanic should represent how politically the religion worked, instead of trying to gamify how the religion is perceived to work. Harmonization feels like stereotypical "East Asian live in harmony" instead of actual Confucianism practice.

I have a mechanic in mind that I think would be good for Confucianism, but I would like to safe it for a suggestion thread. For now, I would like to say that Confucianism rework should have something to do with advisor because how much Confucianism value scholars and emperor delegating his duty to his minister (instead of doing everything by himself).
I would also much prefer a complete overhaul of how Confucianism works (similar to what u/Blazeknight suggested), but I don't believe Paradox is going to invest that much time into a minor religion that only has two flavourless countries that follow it. Ming's role in-game is not to be a fun nation for the player to try, but instead to be a money source that gets instantly crushed by Manchu, most noticeable in how they've just been nerfed over and over again because nobody could bother fixing the Horde AI instead. Korea is also supposed to serve as cannon fodder for Jurchen/Japan instead of being an actual player choice, hence their substandard idea set and hilariously low development.

The two Confucian nations also have the misfortune of starting in East Asia, which means unlike 'Fodder Countries' in Europe (E.G. Novgorod, Byzantium and the Irish minors) that recieve at least some sort of flavour and historical accuracy, they're on the very tail end of the backburner on Paradox's priority list. The fact that

A. Confucianism isn't a religion, but more of a governining ideal
B. The ingame Confucianism is modelled akin to Taoism than actual Confucianism
C. A significant portion of both countries were still Mahayana Buddhist
D. Confucianism is an awful religion to play with

doesn't matter, because you're not supposed to play as a Confucian nation. You're supposed to play as the fun nations in the region, that get to eat the Confucian nations for less than 0 effort because they're both saddled with bad events and historically inaccurate development. Ming starts off with less total dev than Germany and has provinces larger than Siberian ones, while Korea is a desolate wasteland devoid of a single decent province, because once again, they're supposed to be as easy as possible to defeat. And Paradox most likely isn't going to invest any time into religions that nobody wants to play, akin to how West Africa being abandoned -> West Africa having less players -> Paradox not touching West Africa -> Ad Infinitum.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Let me start with the few things I agree with. I do think some of the bonuses are very weak and could use a buff - frankly, -5% stability cost is outright insulting ; overall Confucianism is not among the strongest religions in the game ; and the missions you mention for Korea are very ill-designed indeed.

But here's what I don't really agree with. (Keeping in mind, this is best on games I've played several years ago, might be a bit outdated.) I think you vastly exaggerated how bad Confucianism is. I get that you have to insist on the negatives to make your point, but still. Harmonizing is not nearly as painful as you make it out to be : as Korea, it's entirely possible - trivial, even - to harmonize all religions in the world over the course of the game, while never falling to 0 harmony. Heck, I don't even remember going under 50, ever. Let's not understate the fact that you harmonize entire religious groups at once, which means there's really no need to chain harmonize, you can wait for harmony to go back up before you start harmonizing a new group. Also, as someone else mentioned, events help a lot, speeding up harmonization, and keeping harmony up.

Also, you state that harmonizing is strictly worse than not doing so, but you illustrate that using very specific conditions : high legitimacy, low harmony, burghers privilege, humanism unlocked... I would even say that one advantage of Confucianism is that it allows you to ignore religions without taking Humanist or Religious ideas, thus freeing up an idea slot - and an administrative one at that.

But my most important point is this. You say that Confucianism is the last non Pagan religion in need of a rework (I disagree with the "actively punishes" part), but what's being in the Pagan group have to do with anything ? Zoroastrianism was certainly not highest on the priority list, but if we're gonna start talking about religions needing a rework, Animism and Totemism clearly stand out. They don't even have mechanics at all ! And if we're touching upon niche religions, something could really be done with Judaism, it's historically significant yet almost inexistant in the game.

Edit : Forbidding Confucian nations from culture converting provinces is really dumb, that could really stand to be scrapped.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I dont have good knowledge on the matter, but I think Confucionism should disappear as a religion. It should be a 1st tier Government Reform. The Celestial Empire should be something linked to Mandate.

The state religion of Korea and Ming and the religion of all those provinces should be Taoism.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Let me start with the few things I agree with. I do think some of the bonuses are very weak and could use a buff - frankly, -5% stability cost is outright insulting ; overall Confucianism is not among the strongest religions in the game ; and the missions you mention for Korea are very ill-designed indeed.

But here's what I don't really agree with. (Keeping in mind, this is best on games I've played several years ago, might be a bit outdated.) I think you vastly exaggerated how bad Confucianism is. I get that you have to insist on the negatives to make your point, but still. Harmonizing is not nearly as painful as you make it out to be : as Korea, it's entirely possible - trivial, even - to harmonize all religions in the world over the course of the game, while never falling to 0 harmony. Heck, I don't even remember going under 50, ever. Let's not understate the fact that you harmonize entire religious groups at once, which means there's really no need to chain harmonize, you can wait for harmony to go back up before you start harmonizing a new group. Also, as someone else mentioned, events help a lot, speeding up harmonization, and keeping harmony up.

Also, you state that harmonizing is strictly worse than not doing so, but you illustrate that using very specific conditions : high legitimacy, low harmony, burghers privilege, humanism unlocked... I would even say that one advantage of Confucianism is that it allows you to ignore religions without taking Humanist or Religious ideas, thus freeing up an idea slot - and an administrative one at that.

But my most important point is this. You say that Confucianism is the last non Pagan religion in need of a rework (I disagree with the "actively punishes" part), but what's being in the Pagan group have to do with anything ? Zoroastrianism was certainly not highest on the priority list, but if we're gonna start talking about religions needing a rework, Animism and Totemism clearly stand out. They don't even have mechanics at all ! And if we're touching upon niche religions, something could really be done with Judaism, it's historically significant yet almost inexistant in the game.

Edit : Forbidding Confucian nations from culture converting provinces is really dumb, that could really stand to be scrapped.
Confucianism is only not bad in one scenario - World Conquest or basically WC. If you're conquering all of Europe as Ming then Confucianism is actually not that bad. Except, not only can Muslims or how about any religion with the new Burgher priv tolerate religions, but Confucianism is absolutely garbage if you are not fully using its tolerance mechanic. The modifiers are so pitifully small that you can consider them not existing, and Confucian actually penalizes you with tanking ridiculous harmony for converting provinces that it is unviable. This is why I consider Confucian bad for the average player in SP and literally the worst religion in MP. A typical campaign in eu4 does not involve blobbing across three continents - in fact most players play on non-ironman and normal or lower. Confucianism is egregious in MP for very obvious reasons.

Animism is clearly not supposed to have mechanics and Confucianism is more significant than North American natives. I do agree that Judaism should be modeled better in eu4, but since no nation is really Jewish in 1444 having mechanics is a very, very low priority (I mean it is not hard to just clone Protestant reforms so I guess you can do that).

Reactions:
I dont have good knowledge on the matter, but I think Confucionism should disappear as a religion. It should be a 1st tier Government Reform. The Celestial Empire should be something linked to Mandate.

The state religion of Korea and Ming and the religion of all those provinces should be Taoism.
No, Joseon was very obviously Neo-Confucian, and Ming too to an extent. Confucianism is obviously not a religion but in eu4 mechanics it makes sense as one. Neo-Confucian was the state ideology of Joseon and Confucian provinces can be thought of as atheist (since you know, Koreans and Chinese were atheist, they just had Confucian cultures). Converting provinces to Confucian is the act of not tolerating religions (historical).

Reactions:
No, Joseon was very obviously Neo-Confucian, and Ming too to an extent. Confucianism is obviously not a religion but in eu4 mechanics it makes sense as one. Neo-Confucian was the state ideology of Joseon and Confucian provinces can be thought of as atheist (since you know, Koreans and Chinese were atheist, they just had Confucian cultures). Converting provinces to Confucian is the act of not tolerating religions (historical).

As I said I am not a specialist at all. But Chinese and Korean folk religions existed at that time (even still exist today). I dont know if interpreting so many provinces as if the population had no religion (not tolerated as you said) is the best alternative.

As I said I am not a specialist at all. But Chinese and Korean folk religions existed at that time (even still exist today). I dont know if interpreting so many provinces as if the population had no religion (not tolerated as you said) is the best alternative.
Oh, it definitely makes no sense that 100% of the provinces are Confucian. Mahayana should be prevalent in Ming and Joseon should have a few Mahayana and Muist provinces.

Reactions:
It should be a 1st tier Government Reform.
Confucian Monarchy will be a 1st tier Reform in the next patch. Gives -10% Advisor Costs IIRC.

I think you vastly exaggerated how bad Confucianism is. I get that you have to insist on the negatives to make your point, but still. Harmonizing is not nearly as painful as you make it out to be : as Korea, it's entirely possible
Indeed I may have emphasised the bad points of the religion for demonstration purposes. But tell me this, what other religion exclusively penalises the player for using its mechanics? Muslim piety gives differing benefits at each slider end, while having no effect at 0. Buddhist Karma gives dip rep and discipline at 0, but gives lessened bonuses at each end. Catholic/Protestant/Reformed/Anglican/Hussite PI/Church Power/Fervor all give no effects at 0, but benefits at high amounts. Coptic Holy Sites give small bonuses. Orthodox is hands down the best religion in the game, with incredible benefits and no downsides. Hindu gives a choice of benefits every ruler change. Sikh gets a differing bonus for every Guru. Shinto has 5 levels of Isolationism that provide different bonuses. But none of them actively hurt the nation when using their respective mechanics.

The only other religion in the game that hurts the player nation when using its mechanics is the Nahuatl/Inti/Mayan trio, but they also give very significant benefits (CCR, Morale, ICA, Discipline, -War Exhaustion, +1 Colonist, Land Maintenance, etc.), while also not locking the player out of an entire idea group, culture converting, and local diplomacy. Confucianism on the other hand gets -5% Stab Cost and +5% Trade Efficiency. What a tradeoff.

Heck, I don't even remember going under 50, ever. Let's not understate the fact that you harmonize entire religious groups at once, which means there's really no need to chain harmonize, you can wait for harmony to go back up before you start harmonizing a new group. Also, as someone else mentioned, events help a lot, speeding up harmonization, and keeping harmony up.
This only applies to religions outwith the Eastern Group, which isn't where you'll most likely be expanding into first. (Unless you no-CB into Maritime SEA for some reason) Whether you're playing as Ming or Korea you're surrounded by Heretics (Shinto, Vajrayana) with only a few Heathens (Tengri). Unless you're conquering extremely slowly, you're eventually going to have more religions than you can harmonise at once. Not to mention that this is before Europeans start appearing.

But my most important point is this. You say that Confucianism is the last non Pagan religion in need of a rework (I disagree with the "actively punishes" part), but what's being in the Pagan group have to do with anything ?
Because the only religions left in the game without any mechanics are Animist, Totemist (and Jewish, which I admittedly did forget about), which are both Pagan. I didn't really mean to demean the Pagan group, but wanted to note that the other religions without proper mechanics were Pagan. I would also advocate for Animist/Totemist/Jewish reworks, I just am more familiar with Confucianism than I am with the former three.

So does every other Eastern denomination...? (Bar Shinto, but they get other good bonuses and the ability to convert to Catholic) The +2 heretic tolerance applies to all of the Buddhists denominations, difference being they also have the choice of going religious instead of being locked out of it like Confucianism.

And I haven't even mentioned Islam, of which all 3 of the denominations don't even need to do anything to accomplish this, taking one Dhimmi privilege is enough for them to completely ignore religion.

Last edited: