• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bold has won two great battles over these few days -- and his second victory is all the more impressive for it being entirely bloodless, turning a potential enemy into a loyal follower.

Two great victories indeed, I dare say. Those consolidated his standing as a sole leader of Persian nomads. Taking leadership bloodlessly was his intention all along, as he doesn't dare to take unnecessary losses.

Another good and interesting chapter:)

Thank you, mate. I'm glad you like it. ;)

Bold handled that very well indeed. I don't mean the battle - that was a relatively easy affair. The transfer of power - that is truly tricky. To begin his time of Khan publicly with a compliment to the one he superceded was a deft touch. Now Hormuz will likely be praised as the man who lead his people as well as he could, and who had the strength of courage to step aside when the moment came.

What you said is on point. Bold's attempt of taking the reins of leadership was both tricky and risky, which could've ended in total destruction of Persian community had it gone the opposite way. Hormuz has earned respect he deserves for his acts, which will prove invaluable for him in the future. But there's much more to his character than being just a humble and respectable man.

Just hope we will have to wait less for your next update. Looking forward for new challenges of the nomad people and their young, fearless leader.

Time is the only restraint that's keeping me from continuing this piece of writing right away.

Chapter 1 – Wolf in Kirghiz lair

September 15th, 1066

Bold o’Ginn was looking at the settlement that was in front of him. It was one of the largest he’s seen since the day Persians migrated to the sea of grass. To the south of the settlement was Tian Shan, a vast mountain range that separated land of Kirghiz from Taklamakan desert. Speaking of land of Kirghiz, it was a territory that encompassed the land between Tian Shan and Altai mountain range to the north. Man who ruled that territory had control of all traffic that passed through it, which included a portion of the Silk Road through the southern territory.

It took Bold and his company a bit over a week to arrive from the west of the Altai. They rode in haste for several reasons, to complete their task and return to the Altai valley as soon as possible. Five men followed Bold o’Ginn to the settlement of Kirghiz ruler, each and every one of them ready to die for their young khan.

About a dozen of horsemen could be seen approaching from the direction of the settlement just after Bold’s presence was declared with a sound of a horn. Raising his left hand, Bold ordered his party to stop upon approaching the incoming riders, who were presumably led by a young man riding in front of others. He was standing out from the rest because of the way he rode proudly, with his chest out. One look at his boiled leather armor was enough for Bold to realize that the armor was of the highest quality found in the steppe, the one only khans his kinsmen wore. He was clean shaven, except for a strip of hair he left to grow above the upper lip.

‘’You’re in the territory of the Kyrgyz!’’ a man in scale armor exclaimed as his party blocked further path to the settlement with the rest of his warriors circling around Bold and his men, taunting them and aiming at them with their bows ‘’Name your intentions!’’

He spoke in Kirghiz variation of the Turkic languages, which was enough for Bold to understand what he had just said. He has spent enough time among Turks and Turkic nomads to learn not just the basics, but to speak their languages fluently. And most of their languages were similar, with some key words being different.

‘’My name is o’Ginn!’’ Bold exclaimed proudly, his yellow eyes switching from one Kirghiz rider to another, making sure he caught all of their looks to ensure they hear him loud and clear. He resisted the urge to smile proudly when he saw their reaction to his name, as several of them exchanged surprised looks. Their leader didn’t seem fazed. ‘’I am khan in the Altai mountains! I have come to seek audience with your leader!’’

Kirghiz’ lips curled upwards into a smile, and he exchanged looks with several of his warriors. Bold kept his blank expression and waited for the response.

‘’No.’’

Bold raised an eyebrow ‘’I didn’t come here to be refused.’’

‘’You are not entering this settlement, Persian.’’ Kirghiz answered with a smirk, looking Bold right in the eyes. ‘’I suggest you turn your horse and return to wherever you came from.’’

Bold felt rage boiling inside him, he was being mocked and looked down upon. One warrior moved his horse next to Bold’s provoking reaction of several Kirghiz warriors who aimed at his head.

‘’He is testing you.’’ Hormuz whispered to Bold who was desperately trying to think about next sentence. ‘’Prove to him that he is just a mere soldier. You are a Khan.’’

Kirghiz leader sat proudly on his horse, feeling triumphant in thinking he’d beaten Bold with words.

‘’Tell me your name.’’ Bold ordered in his usual emotionless, calm voice.

Kirghiz laughed and turned his horse in place towards his soldiers, raising his right hand proudly up which was followed by his soldiers drawing blades which they pointed up towards the sky. Their actions alarmed almost all of Persians, who had their hands at the ready to pull out the weapons.

‘’Tell him my name, brothers!’’ he ordered, his back still turned to the Persians.

This disrespect won’t be forgotten, Kirghiz, Bold thought while pretending everything is fine. He placed his palm at his lips, yawning widely.

‘’Koza! Koza! Koza!’’ Kirghiz warriors shouted the name, and Koza turned to face Persians once more. Judging by his actions, he was either a man of importance in the tribe or a relative of such a man.

‘’That is my name, outsiders! Koza Kotyan uulu, son to the khagan of Kyrgyz!’’ he exclaimed proudly, his irritating smirk still glued to his face. His warriors returned their blades to their scabbards.

Bold smiled and separated his lips to speak ‘’It seems your men hold you in high regard Koza, son of Kotyan.’’

In response to Bold’s sentence, Koza laughed and nodded his head ‘’Such is the respect that my blood enjoys.’’

‘’Tell me, Koza…’’ Bold started, still calm and emotionless ‘’How many battles have you won?’’

It seemed as if his question confused young Kirghiz prince. His smirk faded away and his eyebrows narrowed. He was quiet for a mere moment, but then his spirit lifted again and he grinned. ''Cumans who dared to steal from us belong to mother earth now. I personally ensured she greeted them with open arms.''

Bold sighed and shook his head ''Those same Cumans tried to steal our cattle last summer and were driven off by women and children. Those were not battles you fought.''

Koza wasn't grinning anymore. His face was serious, and his eyes stared daggers at Bold. ''What's it going to be? Not a single one. Am I right?’’ Bold stated the obvious as his lips slowly curled upwards.

Koza’s face was slowly turning red, but he kept his calm, for he knew Bold was right and by stating otherwise he would just make a fool out of himself with meaningless lies. ‘’Mocking me is not going to let you inside, Khan in Altai mountains.’’

‘’And refusing Bold o’Ginn is not in your interest, son of Kotyan. I am here for the benefit of both our peoples.’’ Khan in the Altai spoke, his voice authorative and clear. Koza was not so confident anymore.

Koza looked away for a few seconds before his eyes turned back to Bold’s, admitting verbal defeat ‘’Then follow me, o’Ginn. My father will receive you. ‘’ With that said, Koza turned his horse and proceeded towards the settlement, followed by his warriors. Hormuz, who was still on his horse next to Bold smiled and said ‘’His face was precious. When you put him back in his place, that is.’’

Bold returned a smile ‘’It was a risk though. I could not know whether or not he won any battles. I just asked him the first question that came to my mind.’’

ietnT40.png

Bold o'Ginn, youngest khan in the steppe but also one of the most ambitious. He is renowned for his tactical ability and ruthlessness to his enemies.

Kirghiz settlement was one of the biggest he has seen since he first arrived to the steppe. Yurts were larger and more decorated the further you proceed into the settlement, and their felts were made in all kinds of colors as opposed to white, gray and black felts used in Persian settlement. On just one glance one can see that it was almost as twice as big as Persian settlement. And this was just one clan. There used to be two other clans, almost as big and strong as this one. One was clan Saur, which was still ruling territories north of here. And there was the Obid clan, which rebelled against Kotyan some three or four years ago. They met their end, and survivors were either exiled or incorporated into Saur and Kirghiz clans. Those who refused to surrender met their end in the north to Hormuz and his warriors.

As Persians rode through what was a wide street that led to the centre of the settlement following Koza, Kirghiz tribesmen that found themselves nearby watched them with curiosity and distrust. It was obvious that they didn’t receive strangers often, and Bold was sure that they were seeing Persians for the first time in their lives. Centre of the settlement was marvelous. Just like in Persian settlement up north towards the Altai, there was a large clearing in the middle, but the difference was in conquest trophies placed all over the clearing of the Kirghiz settlement, brought from all corners of the world. Bold recognized Turkish statues and Islamic religious objects, as well as shrines from India and China. Most of the nomads in the steppe were followers of Tengriism, whose religious objects could also be seen in the clearing, placed there as the trophies of conquest and raid. One particular object caught Bold’s attention. He walked right past it on his way to Khagan’s yurt. It was a golden Faravahar on a flat pedestal, raising high above many of the other symbols and relics, its wings spread wide proudly for it was the greatest symbol of Zoroastrianism. Bold could only wonder when did they get the hold of a holy object such as Faravahar and how many Persians did they kill to steal it. Kirghiz clans were followers of Manichaeism, religion founded by prophet Mani many centuries ago in old Sassanid empire. It was a religion Bold did not know much about, except it was somewhat similar to his own religion.

Just like in Persian settlement, there was a yurt in the middle of the clearing, a largest and most decorated one in the whole settlement, with guards and horses around it. It was a home of the khagan Kotyan and his family. Two warriors guarded the rich entrance, it’s frame decorated with vines wrapped around golden daggers. Golden vines and and animals were sewn into the red felt of the yurt and a gray smoke was coming out of chimney that was peeking out from the middle of the yurt. Seven more guards patrolled around yurt and intercepted anyone who dared to approach the yurt. Upon seeing Koza and his followers however, they moved to make way for the Kirghiz prince and the guests, eyeing them suspiciously. Koza called three men who appeared to be horsemasters, and ordered them to take care of the horses that belonged to Bold and the rest of Persians. Finding themselves in front of the entrance, Koza, now alone with Persians, turned to them one last time before entering.

‘’My father is inside, o'Ginn, as well as khan Ozmush of Saur clan with his wife and children.’’ Koza said and walked inside, two guards in front of the entrance removing the curtains to make way for him and those who followed. Bold turned to his men, who eagerly awaited for his next order. ‘’Hormuz and I will go inside, now. I will tell khagan Kotyan to do something about you, to find you a place to rest and some women if possible.’’

Hearing the last part made them laugh and cheer gratefully, which put a smile to Bold’s face, who then proceeded inside with Hormuz. The inside of a yurt was well decorated. Floor was decorated with rugs from Arabia and walls were covered with pelts and heads of animals, ranging from marmot to a bear. Other than that, pillars made out of dark wood were decorated with runes and inscriptions with lanterns hanged on the pillars to provide light in the whole yurt. There was a large fireplace in the middle of the yurt just like in every bigger yurt with large table right behind it. On the opposite end of Khagan’s home were bedrolls and pillows. A number of Manichean religious object was not to be ignored as they hung from the ceiling and were placed on small pedestals placed on all ends of the yurt. Bold was standing on a purple rag, first of its kind he’s seen since he left Persia, those being rare and expensive and as that were pure giveaways of khagan’s wealth. In the background of the yurt, two women could be seen sitting on pillows chatting, surrounded by five slave girls.

Bold and Hormuz walked behind Koza, who approached a table with two men seated at it.

‘’Father.’’ Koza said to a man who looked just like an older version of himself, even having a same light brown moustache as Koza, albeit a bit longer. His dress was green and rich. It was khagan Kotyan. He was a man in early forties, but he looked younger, like he was barely over thirty years old.

‘’Khan Ozmush.’’ he then said to a man sitting next to Khagan and bowed his head. Ozmush was very young and it looked as if that smirk of his never left his face. His long brown hair was tied in a braid that fell down his back all the way to the waist. After gathering their attention, Koza moved in side and revealed Bold and Hormuz who stood behind him. ‘’This is Bold o’Ginn, father. Khan in the Altai mountains.’’

Bold made one step forward and bowed his head, but kept his eyes fixed on khagan’s. Just one glance into his dark eyes proved to Bold that khagan Kotyan was not an ordinary man. His face didn’t reveal any emotions, but there was something about his eyes.

‘’And what is the khan in the Altai mountains doing in my household?’’ Kotyan asked, his voice deep and strong, experienced in giving out orders, demanding answer. Glancing at Ozmush for a mere moment, Bold spotted his smirk becoming more obvious.

‘’I came here to express my will, my lord khagan.’’ Bold started, feeling Hormuz’s gaze on his back ''I will not do such a thing while I stand here in front of you, my lord?''

Kotyan's face didn't reveal any emotions, but a swift smile decorated his face for a moment ''Of course, o'Ginn. I offer you catering rights in my household. Take a seat.'' Khagan pointed his hand at the chairs on the opposite side of the table. Bold and Hormuz obeyed and sat down, feeling the heat on his back, produced by the fire behind him. Khagan turned his head to a side, giving one swift look to a servant girl that stood by the wall. Understanding the order, servant girl approached the table with two cups in her hand, placing it down on table for Bold and Hormuz. Kirghiz leader filled the cups with dark liquid. Koza walked outside.

''I recognize you, Hormuz.'' khagan said to older Persian warrior, who just stared back, seemingly not surprised. ''You sat at this very table four years ago, when al Gauti still led your people to battles.''

''I'm very honored, my lord.'' Hormuz said and bowed his head respectfully ''Those were better times.''

Kotyan smiled ''For you. Kyrgyz have grown only stronger in recent years under my leadership.''

Bold didn't have the answer for this, he just listened to what khagan had to say and chose his next words carefully. He knew well that Kirghiz are stronger than Persians and one wrong move could cost them all their lives.

''You didn't come here all the way from Altai to talk about history, o'Ginn. State your business.'' khagan ordered, his voice calm, yet commanding.

Bold searched for the words he could use for a mere moment, and then opened his mouth to release his thoughts ‘’Persians are alone in this great sea of grass. And Kirghiz are strong and notorious in the Great Steppe. Yet seperated, we couldn't possibly beat the threat in the west. Cumans are at our doorstep, just waiting for the opportunity to strike. Their numbers are large and their armies are many.’’

''I am aware of Cuman threat, o'Ginn. Something bothers me, though.'' Kotyan smirked and took a sip out of a wooden cup that was lying on table in front of him. ‘’Your people have settled the grounds that formerly belonged to those of Obid clan, khan o’Ginn. Those lands were Kyrgyz lands.’’

YjSPgGL.png

Ambitious ruler of Kyrgyz Khaganate, Kotyan. Known for ruling with an iron fist, he does not show mercy to those who oppose him.

‘’Those were lands of the traitor clan, my lord khagan.’’ Bold did not hesitate in answering ‘’I’ve reclaimed those lands.’’

Kotyan raised his eyebrow ‘’From who?’’

‘’From Mongols who met their end in the valley of Altai.’’ Bold had another answer at the ready.

Kotyan smiled and nodded ‘’I’ve heard about your victory, khan o’Ginn. It was a splendid one, I have to admit.’’

Bold just nodded his head in response, hiding his pride.

‘’You have many enemies.’’ Kotyan then noted ''Your little raids against Mongols and their small parties in the north are just going to provoke a full scale war. And not just Mongols, you've attacked and stolen from the priests and traders on the Silk Road, from those who came from the east. And you do realize who lies on the other side of the Altai.''

Bold had another reply at the ready ‘’We've had enemies since we arrived at the steppe many years ago. But you have enemies of your own as well. Your enemies are not just Cumans. I know about the skirmishes with Karluks over cattle which will turn into war in a matter of weeks. Kara-khanid clan is large and powerful.’’

Kotyan exchanged looks with Ozmush who raised his eyebrows and nodded once in approval to what Bold has just said.

‘’Your words are true, o'Ginn. They are formidable enemy indeed.’’ Kotyan agreed and answered.

Bold smirked ‘’Consider Persians as part of Kirghiz tribe confederation. We found ourselves in the middle, between two giants. Cumans in the west and the empire in the east. We must unite, for one day they will attack.’’

Khagan sat still for a moment, his eyes still locked on Bold's. At last, he opened his mouth ‘’I’ve come to a conclusion that your offer could benefit both our peoples, o’Ginn. When and if those giants as you called them attack, Kyrgyz will indeed fight with Persians.''

Bold nodded when Kotyan finished, but a smirk on khagan's face told him that this wasn't over yet.

‘’Are you aware that your settlement is built those lands which rightfully belongs to the Kyrgyz, o'Ginn?’’

Bold smiled sarcastically and raised an eyebrow ‘’I don’t think so.’’

Khagan’s eyebrows narrowed and look in his eyes was even more serious than before.

‘’You see, khagan of the Kirghiz… When Mongols attacked my people three years ago, they were not alone. There were two armies, one from the east, and one from the south.’’

Smirk that decorated Ozmush’s face disappeared and serious expression replaced it. Khagan’s expression was dark and ominous ‘’Do you accuse me of that attack?’’

‘’I’m not accusing anybody in this room.’’ Bold explained ‘’For I believe that invaders belonged to the Obid clan, or should I say what was left of them when they met defeat at your hands. Therefore I claim their pastures as my own.’’

Khan Ozmush directed a questioning look to khagan, who just glanced at him with the edge of his eye. Bold then turned his head to face Ozmush who just opened his mouth to utter something but remained quiet.

rmmVrbl.png

Head of the powerful Saur clan, Ozmush is a brave man albeit a bit reckless for his age.

‘’Very well, khan in the Altai. Lands of the Obid are now yours to rule, as long as this alliance lasts.’’ Khagan agreed after few moments of quietness and stood up, offering his hand ‘’May it benefit us both.’’

Persian wolf curled his lips upwards into a slight triumphant smile and stood up, taking khagan’s hand, feeling his grip of steel. An alliance has been made and Persians were no longer alone in the steppe, for the mighty Kirghiz now had their back.

-

The rest of the day was spent in drink and good mood. Bold had the honor of meeting families that belonged to khagan Kotyan and khan Ozmush. Ibeslik was a worthy wife to khagan, appearing strong on the outside and very religious, but seemed overprotective over her and khagan’s only child Koza, whom Bold already met few hours earlier. She could mostly be seen at her husband’s side or talking with Coonhis, Ozmush’s wife. Their children, girl Pekash and boy Cudan, not even a decade old, were playing outside till late in the night.

‘’At first I thought you would ask for the hand of my daughter if I had one.’’ khagan told Bold holding a cup of kumis in his hand which had to be refilled at least thirty times by now. Even so, he was only slightly under the influence of alcohol. His voice was just a bit different from usual deep and commanding one.

Bold smiled and shook his head ‘’I don’t have time for wives, my lord khagan. At least not yet.’’

‘’Nonsense.’’ Ozmush, who was quite drunk by now, spoke ‘’At least, take one of the serving girls to your bed tonight. This day has been good for us all, my lord o'Ginn. It can only end with a woman in your bed.’’

Bold tried to laugh it off, but khagan was suddenly persistent after he heard Ozmush’s proposal ‘’Ibeslik! Summon the slave girls!’’

Suddenly, Bold felt hot, as if something was poking him from inside of his body. There were five girls now lined up in front of Bold just as khagan ordered, all young and groomed. Their bronze skins were oiled and their hairs black and shiny. Most of them looked similar in the way they dressed and wore their jewelry. It was obvious they were personal slaves of khagan’s household. Bold caught Koza eyeing one of the slaves lustfully. Ibeslik on the other hand was displeased by this judging by the faces she was making. Others found it funny and were laughing about it.

‘’Pick one, o'Ginn!’’ khagan ordered with a cup in his hand raised high ‘’Pick two if you like it better that way! Pick them all for all I care!’’

It was not as if I had time for girls, Bold tried to justify his lack of experience in his mind, trying his best to hide his nervousness. After all, he was preoccupied with vengeance and blood to care about anything else. It was not as if he was oblivious about how that act is done, it was just that he was late, as most of the boys do at fourteen summers of age.

What if others learn I have never laid with a woman… a stray thought passed through his mind I would kill myself.

‘’This one.’’ Bold pointed to a short girl in the middle, who had her hair tied in two braids which covered her breasts. Her figure was slim, and light brown dress looked fine on her, plus the golden jewelry she wore in shape of bracelets, rings and necklaces. Her face revealed that this was exactly what she did not want to happen. Everyone present cheered and laughed, raising their cups for khan of Persians and his upcoming endevaour. Koza didn't cheer.

‘’Marvelous!’’ khagan exclaimed with his hands spread and khan Ozmush raised a cup to Bold ‘’You are the first one to taste my personal slaves, o'Ginn.’’

Then he leaned over the table towards Bold ‘’Tell me how she performs, I may find more use for them.’’

Finishing the sentence with a loud laugh, he ordered another refill and continued his small talk with Hormuz and Ozmush. Bold exchanged looks with Hormuz. His father's best friend was calm and composed, he didn't drink much. Persian khan then turned his head to a slave girl he’s supposed to spend a night with only to see her looking at something unknown in the distance.

Not too long after, people gathered in khagan’s home left to spend the rest of the night in dreams. Bold made sure his men get the space where they were going to rest for the night. Unfortunately, he couldn’t arrange any women for them, but at least they got a bed to sleep in and their horses were tended in the fenced area.

Bold was given a small yurt of his own for the night. It was not royal or decorated much at all, but it fulfilled the basic necessities. And now, all it needed was bed. When he entered, the slave girl was waiting for him, standing next to his bed with her eyes swollen.

Ignoring her, Bold just sat down on the bed, untiying the belt which bothered him and made his skin all itchy and red. Taking this as a gesture to remove her clothes, slave girl immediately undressed her dress, leaving it down on a floor covered with pelts. Bold raised his head and looked at her body, and was never more grateful for the darkness he found himself in, for his face was burning. He found himself admiring her curves and body and gained a sudden urge to jump on her. But she was the one who made a first move. She sat in his lap, slowly closing her lips to his own while she gently took of his shirt.

At least I know how to kiss a girl, Bold thought as he continued kissing her intensely, and his strong hands squeezed her hot body tightly. But something was off. He knew he wanted to break the ice here and now, but something about her was not right. Seperating their lips as he gently pushed her away, he saw a surprised look in her black eyes he could barely see in darkness, with only a ray of light produced by a weak candle next to the bed.

‘’My lord?’’ she asked in confusion. He lowered his hands and grabbed her by the waist. Then he placed her on a bed next to him.

‘’What is your name?’’ he asked her, his eyes still glued on hers. She was beautiful. He could see it better now.

‘’Bermet.. my lord.’’ girl said, breaking away the eye contact by turning her head in the side.

‘’What is wrong, Bermet?’’

She was sobbing. Bold rolled his eyes and took a deep breath. Is this how’s first time supposed to be? Placing tips of his fingers on her chin, he slowly pulled her face towards his, beginning to grasp the hold of situation.

‘’I won’t hurt you, Bermet. What is wrong?’’

A surprised face Bermet made was a straight giveaway that she hasn’t experienced a behavior like this from a lordly figure. She opened her mouth to speak, but words weren’t coming out. Instead, tears rolled down her face.

‘’ There is someone you love, right?’’ Bold asked, pretty confident he asked the right question, but instead of replying verbally, she just nodded her head few times.

‘’And Koza is using you for your body.’’ feeling pretty proud he was right twice when Bermet nodded again, Bold continued ‘’I knew it by the way he was looking at you and the face he made when I chose you.’’

Bermet was just nodding her head, as her mouth was still shut.

‘’Well then. I guess you and I are going to make a deal.’’ he proposed to her, causing another surprised look aimed at him ‘’We will pretend as if we had spent a night to remember, but we won’t do anything.’’

The expression of gratitude on Bermet’s face brought a smile to Bold’s face, and he placed his hand on her shoulder and laughed ‘’I am sure your lover is asking himself where are you. Go to him.’’

Bermet directed her smile to Bold which could be describe as mixture of happiness and shock, and leaned towards him to give him a kiss on a cheek before she picked her dress from the floor and began to dress it.

‘’Thank you, my lord khan.’’ she said her last words and headed outside, leaving Bold alone in yurt. He crumbled on the bed with his eyes fixated on the darkness of the ceiling. He smiled weakly, glad he did not hurt that girl but rolled his eyes in disappointment for missing such an opportunity. It seemed everyone was happy tonight, except Bold, who was still shrouded in darkness and inexperience.

FJW2QqJ.png

Last edited:
Excellent world building so far, especially detailed and mesmerizing characters as well. Subbed :D

Excellent world building so far, especially detailed and mesmerizing characters as well. Subbed :D

Thank you! I am very glad you like it, mate. After all, I've spent some time researching and learning about the steppe just to be able to transfer that knowledge to paper, or in this case, on screen. Glad I did. ;)

Last edited:
Unexpectedly tender there at the end.

All in all Bold has conducted himself very well, but a hint of softness better not be found out because in this context it would only be seen as weakness.

Unexpectedly tender there at the end.

All in all Bold has conducted himself very well, but a hint of softness better not be found out because in this context it would only be seen as weakness.

Bold is well aware that weakness is not allowed, especially if you live in the steppe. But even so, he is still young and inexperienced which is going to change over the years.

A promising story! Please continue.

Great effort put in details and storytelling! Also loved the part with Bermet, shows us how young and inexperienced Bold really is, despite already being a leader of his people.

Thanks, bud! After all, Bold is a human being, and a very young one at that, so it's logica

A promising story! Please continue.

Will do, mate! Have no worries about that.

Bold is really living up to his name in that chapter ;) Making a rival of his benefactor's heir might have repercussions in the future -- but then, without that audacious move, Bold's people might not have had much of a future allotted to them in the first place.

Bold is really living up to his name in that chapter ;) Making a rival of his benefactor's heir might have repercussions in the future -- but then, without that audacious move, Bold's people might not have had much of a future allotted to them in the first place.

His traits are one of the reason I named him Bold. Fun fact is that Bold is actually a Mongolian name, meaning steel. He's a man that is willing to make a nost difficult decision if needed as long as there is slight chance for success, and most of those decisions concern newborn Persian khanate.

Bold and Koza are actually just two years apart in age, and both men in position, thus seeing each other as rivals right at the start as well as leaders of their people (a future leader in Koza's case). :)

subbed

Chapter 2 – Khan in the Altai

September 19th, 1066

‘’How did that happen?’’ khagan Kotyan growled at his warrior who was on his knees in front of him who just reported ten of his kinsmen found slain when they herded their cattle for pasture. Cattle was stolen. ‘’Karluks?’’

‘’Yes, my lord khagan!’’ warrior answered, his head bowed, terrified of khagan’s wrath. Kotyan stood up from his wooden throne with runes carved in the sides of the armrests and took a quick stroll around the yurt. Bold was sitting on the chair by the fireplace, carefully observing the situation. Hormuz and Ozmush-khan sat on both sides of him, khan of Saur clan was drinking water from a wooden cup after he just finished his meal. Warrior remained on his knees. It’s been four days since Bold arrived at the Kirghiz settlement. Those days were spent in detailing the alliance with the Kirghiz and clarifying the standings in the confederation. Although it took nearly three whole days, Bold agreed to acknowledge Kotyan as his superior. After all, he commanded a larger force and had support of clan Saur, and together they counted a formidable force of over thousand riders while Bold barely mustered five hundred.

Kotyan stopped by his throne when he finished second lap and turned to speak with Bold ‘’I want your forces here by the next full moon, o’Ginn.’’ Bold nodded his head. ‘’Ozmush, I expect your warriors can make it here in less than a week.’’

Khan of Saur clan nodded his head ‘’They will be here, my lord khagan.’’

‘’Very well, you’re dismissed.’’ khagan ordered and two khans stood up, bowed their heads and walked outside, leaving khagan alone in his thoughts and foul mood.

x

‘’We have to make haste if we’re to arrive here by the next full moon.’’ Hormuz explained as him and Bold walked out of khagan’s yurt, heading towards the rest of Persian party.

‘’I know.’’ Bold replied, his eyes fixed on looking forward ‘’Kara-Khanids are attacking sooner than I expected. We can use it to our advantage, though.’’

‘’How so?’’ Hormuz asked.

Bold lips curled upwards and he turned to Hormuz ‘’They don’t know we’re going to war as well.’’

Gathering the rest of Persian company, Bold and his warriors rode out of the settlement, witnessing various reactions to the news of incoming Karluk invasion from the south. It varied from terror of women and elders to genuine happiness of warriors lusting for glory and war. Bold decided to think of this war more as an opportunity than a chance for glory and renown. Kara-Khanids are not aware of the newborn alliance between Persians and Kirghiz, thus will not expect to meet them united in battle. This war was exactly that, an opportunity to plant seeds for future endeavours, to strengthen his standing in the steppe.

‘’Do you remember them?’’ Hormuz asked Bold as two of them rode at the head of their party, leaving Kirghiz settlement behind them. Bold gave him a questionable look. ‘’The Karluks. They were the first ones we fought when we left Persia.’’

o’Ginn nodded ‘’I do. I remember at first, they looked like a demons cast down by Angra Mainyu himself to destroy us, for they were the first tribe I’ve seen.’’

Hormuz laughed ‘’You were so young back then. I recall telling you those horrifying stories about tribesmen who steal young children from their parents and bring them to the top of the Altai mountain to eat them.’’

‘’I was so scared when I saw Altai for the first time.’’ Bold said and laughed ‘’I always loved your stories the most.’’

‘’I thought Armin was far more creative than I was.’’ Hormuz said and smiled for but a moment.

Upon hearing that name, a wave of memories cruised Bold’s mind, reminding him of his father’s friend, who died three years ago during that night. Said, Armin and Hormuz grew up together, fought together and saved their people together. Two of them died, except for Hormuz.

Two weeks passed in constant riding, horses were tired from galloping long distances, and Bold and his men found themselves in the Altai settlement of Persian people. It was a settlement in the plains with Altai mountain range less than a day of ride in a distance. Khan o’Ginn and his followers were welcomed with cheers and it was obvious how much the atmosphere and morale of settlers has changed since the battle with Mongols. Settlement itself was thriving. Hunters were coming back with their meat, young men were educated in the art of war, domestic animals were numerous and healthy, ranging from cattle, goats and sheep, providing Persians with milk, cheese and meat, but also hides. The Market street was populated and richer by a day. Although it lacked one ingredient that would make Persians swimming in wealth. It lacked a location, for it would’ve been much better had it been located on the Silk Road. Nontheless, Bold was happy with how organized the settlement looked. Guards were patroling around constantly, sentries welcomed Bold and his party accordingly. People were working hard, not allowed to become lazy. Javeed did a good job, and Bold was proud of his decision to put him in charge in his absence.

‘’It’s good to see you back, my lord khan!’’ Javeed exclaimed with his head bowed when Bold unmounted his horse once he arrived at his yurt. Bold nodded and tapped his most trusted general on his shoulder.

‘’It is good to be back, Javeed. Come with me inside.’’ Bold ordered and walked inside past his most trusted servant. His yurt was not much different from the rest in the settlement, it was moderately decorated with large Faravahar hanging from above visible from the entrance. Bold didn’t want to make it look all shiny and royal how he likes to put it. In other words, he didn't like luxury. He did, though, order a special chair to be made with a wolf figurine on the top of the back support. It was made of wood and painted black, with wolf being crimson red, just like on his own personal banner. Two of those hung from the wall behind a throne. Crimson wolf roared fiercely at his enemies on the background of black. Bold was that wolf.

o’Ginn.

‘’Did I miss anything in my absence, Javeed?’’ Bold asked as two of them took seat at the table by the fireplace after which Bold poured two wooden cups with wine for Javeed and him.

‘’Other than those two families that started a feud over a mare, nothing happened my lord. Scouts reported no enemy movements on the borders.’’ Javeed recalled on recent events in the settlement. His black curly hair was damp having steamed under his leather helmet ‘’May I ask how did your visit to Kirghiz khagan went?’’

‘’We agreed to make an alliance and are now considered part of Kirghiz khaganate.’’ Bold explained as he sipped the wine gradually.

‘’A part of Kirghiz khaganate?’’ general asked, disgusted on hearing what his khan has just said, unable to hide disgust in his voice. Bold didn’t bother to look at Javeed as he replied ‘’Yes, Javeed. We are part of the khaganate now.’’

Taking another sip of the wine, Bold said ''You did a good job with the settlement. I am very satisfied.'' General bowed his head respectfully and allowed a smile to decorate his face. ''I have new order for you.''

‘’What is the order, my lord?’’

Bold looked at the cup of wine in his hand. His eyes were focused at the red liquid that was nearing the bottom of the cup. Then he lifted his look towards his throne and two banners of roaring crimson wolves behind it. ''Rally the men, make sure they have enough supplies.''

General nodded and looked at Bold for a moment, as if he was dying to ask him what's the reason behind the order. Bold looked at him and saw a spark in general's eyes, grinning ''We are going to war.''

C3c0pRe.jpg

Bold adopted this standard once he earned the moniker ''Wolf of Persia''

Next noon was spent solely on preparation for war. Horses were nurtured and fed for the long road. Weapons and armors were maintained and cleaned. Both seasoned and young warriors bid farewells to their women and children as well as their elders, leaving them for the first time to fight someone else’s war. Mood and atmosphere was different in the settlement than in the past years. Whilst the morale would fall dramatically in the case of war when Persians first arrived to the steppe, it has changed over time. It did not feel like the end of the world now. Persian nomad army was indifferent. Five hundred horsemen did not cheer in the name of the war, but they did not weep either. They bid farewells to their loved ones with confident smiles, but rode to a war with straight faces behind young man they called o’Ginn.

Weather served them greatly as they rode under the warm Sun. They did not stop even for a lunch break, instead they ate in the saddle. Their food consisted mostly of the hard cheese and meat with a bag of water. Meat and cheese were kept in small sacks under the saddle, allowing it to become softer during a long ride.There was a tent on the back of the saddle of every fifth horse for five soldiers with a small cooking pot as well and every soldier had a bedroll with him. As for their military equipment, every warrior carried two sabres, one sheathed on their waist and another tied to the saddle as a reserve. They had a quiver filled with thirty arrows on their back with a wooden round shield hanged on the back over it. Then there was a small curved bow sheathed on their waist opposite of the sword. Their armors weren’t branded and were a mixture of traditional nomad and Persian leather armors. They could be recognized as Persians by engraved insignias of roaring wolf on the chest piece of some warriors. Persians were still no match for the tribes in terms of archery from horseback. What they lacked in range, they compensated with close combat on horseback. So far, no tribes were able to break through Persian line with drawn swords. Passing Irtysh river marked leaving Persian territory and entering lands of clan Saur, which was led by a formidable Ozmush-khan. Just entering their territory made air smell diferrent. Bold was cautious.

‘’My lord khan, is that settlement of Saur clan?’’ general Javeed Javeedid asked pointing eastward towards a small dot as Persians halted their horses on a small hill overseeing every side of the world. If one followed coast of river Irtysh towards the east, he would arrive at the large lake called Zaysan where Saur settlement was located.

‘’It is, Javeed. A settlement left naked as their warriors joined khagan in the south.’’ Bold said, seemingly lost in thought as he looked towards east, almost with lust.

‘’My lord?’’ general asked, having misunderstood Bold for something else entirely while he just gave a comment.

‘’Just as ours is left nearly defenseless, general.’’ khan said and rode downhill, his warriors keeping the pace up with him.

Persians rode mostly on the borders between territories. Next day marked a fifth day of their travel as they rode on a border between Saur clan and Cumans in the east. It was not hard to recognize them, as Bold came to learn the landscape like his own pocket from the years he spent here living and fighting. In the evening of the same day, Bold ordered Persians to rest as they unmounted their horses and made a small camp on the edge of the forest. They chopped wood to stoke up the fires and warm themselves up for the cold night. Soon, about hundred grey tents made up for a small camp site hidden by the forest from Cumans in the west across the border. Sentries were stationed throughout the camp and scouts just came back from the area reporting no enemy movements. Warriors sang and drank, talked and laughed. This was a rest they needed before big battles that are to come.

‘’We have to take in consideration a fact that Karluks can muster more than two thousand men.’’ Hormuz explained as him, Javeed and Bold rested in their common tent.

‘’We have beaten stronger foes back in Persia.’’ Javeed replied as he stood by the curtain which led outside as if he was a simple guard.

‘’As long as they’re alone in this war, our chances are good.’’ Bold spoke for the first time, sharpening his sabre with a whetstone in his left. ‘’And as long as we have the element of surprise, our chances are better than good.''

By the dawn, a camp was broken and Persians were ready to carry on with their journey. They continued in a fast pace, following the edge of the forest and the border to the south. On Bold’s orders, they rode in columns close to each other, ready to form a defensive formation in case of a surprise attack. He could feel the presence of Javeed on his right side and Hormuz on his left, and two other warriors next to Hormuz and Javeed while rest followed from behind in columns, so he had a pretty good sense about everyone’s position without having to look at them. If they rode at this pace, they could arrive at khagan’s settlement in less than ten nights. It all depended on the horses and how much they could handle.

‘’These steppe steeds still fascinate me, my lord.’’ Javeed noted as he rode next to Bold ‘’Their endurance in long travels is impeccable and their speed is unmatched.’’

General’s words were true indeed, for they were much different than usual horses one would encounter in Persia and Arabia. Steppe mounts were agile and fast as a lightning, although they lacked strength in close encounters, but their main purpose was different. If there was anything Bold had learned about warfare in the steppe was that the majority of battles would start and end with hit-and-run tactics, or as some would call it the harassment tactics. It was especially useful against infantry because it lacked speed, although steppe tribes had tendency to fight in close encounters when hit-and-run wasn’t possible.

They were almost at the end of the forest and their shield from the Cuman’s eyes. Persians were not at war with Cumans, but their conflicts in past years were not forgotten and riding so close to their borders could be seen as potential provocations or vile intentions. Bold’s eyes were focused on what’s ahead of him and he was lost in thought as the sound of hundreds of hoofs hitting against the dirt filled his ears. He was so lost in thought that he almost did not react when an arrow swished right past his head from the right. Snapping out of his thoughts, he instinctively pulled out a bow from its scabbard on the left side his waist with as did everyone else. Hormuz was still riding next to him which meant that a warrior to his left was the one who let out a painful grunt before he fell. Pulling out a horn with his right, he took a deep breath and blew one long sound through his curved white horn and Persian horsemen formed a defensive formation switching from columns to rows as they rode away from the forrest to the west. Turning over his shoulders, Bold saw hundreds of thin lines flying through the air above them. At this rate, if they press on forward they’d surely suffer a volley of arrows.

‘’Turn around!’’ Bold shouted at the top of his lungs and his order was repeated by Hormuz and Javeed, and then by other lieutenants as it spread through the ranks and they turned around in circular motion to dodge the arrows. Bold and his generals emerged at the head of the company from the rear when enemy finally revealed himself from the forest, galloping onward. They emerged from the forest like insects and for a moment it seemed there was no end to them. Few purple banners could be seen standing high above enemies, with a grey sabre in the middle as they galloped towards Persians wearing armors Bold recognized in an instant. Their arrows successfully landed in dirt behind Bold and his army, with their goal being unsuccessfull as Bold’s quick thinking just saved their lives.

Taking a deep breath once again, he blew two short notes and Persians divided their ranks. Javeed and Hormuz left Bold’s side each to lead their respective columns while Bold remained in his place to lead the middle, which consisted of almost two thirds of the warriors. They turned up the pace into a gallop toward Cumans that emerged from the forest. With each second, Javeed’s and Hormuz’s column was getting farther and farther away from Bold as they advanced in a semicircular path towards Cumans.

’Nock!’’ o’Ginn ordered and his soldiers obeyed by setting up an arrow in their bows. He let go of the reins and controlled his horse using only his heels.

‘’Draw!’’ he pulled the tendon all the way to the ear with his thumb, using his index and middle finger to reinforce the grip as he aimed, just like his father taught him many years ago. He waited until Cumans fired their arrows first. That way they would be too close to miss. And they did. They fired their last volley of arrows high in the air above the ground, getting closer and closer witch each second. Persian arrows were aimed almost straight at them.

‘’Loose!’’

First rows of Cuman ambushers suffered heavy losses being struck down with Persian projectiles, with Persians themselves raising shields to protect themselves from the incoming arrows, out of which most of them missed their targets again or having hit the shields. Riders in the back were the ones that suffered the most. As they closed in to a dangerous distance, Bold pulled out his sabre with his left hand, followed by his men. With front of Cuman army already damaged, the initial clash was made easier as their formation already lost some of its shape, while Persians aimed to cut through the middle of their army to free flanks for Hormuz and Javeed.

Leaning forward, holding his shield high with just a little bit of space so he could see what’s forward, Bold managed to knock one warrior off his horse in the first clash, barely resisting a force that almost threw him off his horse. Not a moment after, he lowered his shield just a few inches and took a wide swing with his sabre cutting down another one of Cuman warriors as Persian and Cuman armies slowly mixed together losing any resemblance of formation. What ensued was a close encounter and clashing of swords, filling the air with grunts, screams, metal clashing against a metal and neighing of dying horses. Bold’s face was already sprayed with dark blood, filling his nostrils with its characteristic smell and his tongue with its iron-like taste. In the manner of minutes, Bold was starting to feel tired as he swung his blade, parried with his shield then swung and parried yet again over and over, all that under the weight of his leather armor which drained his stamina even further. Battle was a stalemate, considering Persians cut into the Cumans with smaller numbers, at least until Hormuz and Javeed hit Cumans on their flanks, ending every possible attempt to turn the tides of battle. It ultimately turned out to be a deciding factor in the battle because Cumans ordered a retreat soon after.

‘’Loose!’’ khan o’Ginn ordered another volley of arrows at the fleeing enemy as some retreated to the forest while others tried riding around it. He was thinking of ordering a chase after them but he changed his mind. A loud cheer filled the air around Bold, and Persians celebrated their victory as enemy disappeared in the horizon. Sitting still on his horse, Bold barely convinced himself to loosen a grip of a hilt of his blade in his left hand. He looked down on it, seeing it coated in dark blood. How many men has he slain in the battle? Five? Ten? Then he looked around himself, seeing his men still in high number while dozens of Cumans laid dead in the dirt.

pehwfea.png

Cumans surprised Persians in their ambush but their lack of tactics turned out to be a deciding factor in the battle.

Javeed approached him with a smile on his bloody face ‘’They tried to do us dirty, but we did them pretty good, I dare say!’’

Bold nodded and smirked ‘’Yes, Javeed. Now go and loot the corpses, you might find something your woman would like, my friend.’’

General laughed and tapped Bold on his back as he rode past him to start looting the bodies of the fallen ones. Meanwhile, Hormuz approached Bold who just started wiping the blood from his sabre. Bold was sitting on a small rock as his father’s best friend jumped off his horse and joined him.

‘’They wouldn’t attack us just for passing through here.’’ he voiced his opinion as he stood next to Bold who looked up to him, his face straight but his yellow eyes angry.

‘’It seems we have a new player in the war.’’ Bold said under his voice and returned to cleaning his blade.

Xq8zJ7m.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-13_1-50-39.png
    upload_2019-3-13_1-50-39.png
    386,4 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2019-3-13_1-51-0.png
    upload_2019-3-13_1-51-0.png
    386,4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
And so the Persians experienced the first battle of the war. Although ambushed, superior tactic proved to be enough for Bold to force Cumans to flee this time. Excellent descriptions of the environment and events, as usual; the only criticism is directed at the lack of frequent updates. I'm looking for more of this. ;)

A nice little victory to cement the leadership of Bold.

And so the Persians experienced the first battle of the war. Although ambushed, superior tactic proved to be enough for Bold to force Cumans to flee this time. Excellent descriptions of the environment and events, as usual; the only criticism is directed at the lack of frequent updates. I'm looking for more of this. ;)

Although Bold's military mind was what won them the day, Persians were very lucky that Cumans simply charged at them hoping to catch them off guard which ultimately failed as we've all seen. Thank you for kind words, and I have to answer to the criticism; This update came earlier than the others so let's say I hope I can write at faster pace now.

A nice little victory to cement the leadership of Bold.

It's just the beginning and this battle was almost like a skirmish, although this ambush brings a question. Why are Cumans fighting in the war?

Chapter 3 - Interruption from the west

November 1st, 1066

Ozmush walked through Persian ranks, followed by his men as he made progress towards Zoroastrian khan. Air was filled with the stench of blood, sweat and piss. It combined and made for an unique smell which threatened to make Ozmush puke even after all the battles he fought. On the surface though, he looked hard as a stone, unfazed by the corpses and gory scenery around him. Persian warriors, sitting calm on their horses or standing next to them watched Kyrgyz warriors with caution. To Ozmush, it was obvious that their new allies did not trust them.

He found his target in the company of two men. One of them he recognized as Hormuz, a man who accompanied Persian khan to khagan’s home. The other man was unfamiliar. Bold o’Ginn turned his head and looked at Ozmush with his yellow eyes as the latter made his stand in front of him. Persian khan’s face was bloody and bruised, his armor damaged and torn. A banner of a roaring crimson wolf looked so natural being behind him, and for the first time, Ozmush felt alone in the pack of wolves.

‘’Ozmush-khan.’’ o’Ginn greeted ‘’I’m glad to see you alive and well.’’

‘’Likewise.’’ Ozmush replied shortly ‘’Your warriors fought well.’’

Young Persian smiled proudly and made a step closer towards Ozmush, resulting in rest of the warriors dispersing and moving on with their actions. Two of them alone then took a quick stroll through the battlefield. Cumans managed to regroup but o'Ginn and his army managed to surprise them, repaying the favor, destroying them. When Ozmush arrived with his army, Cumans were all but completely decimated.

‘’I thought your army is bigger. You had barely three hundred men at most.'' Persian khan said as he stepped over one of Cuman corpses.

‘’Rest of my army is in the south, fighting for our lord khagan.’’ Ozmush accounted on his sudden arrival and cut the throat of a Cuman warrior beneath him who twitched. Two of them stopped as they reached edge of the battlefield and could see a Sun merging itself with the ground, marking the end of yet another day.

‘’Your arrival means that we must ride west, then.’’

Ozmush nodded ‘’We are going to put end to this Cuman threat. Judging from their banners, a silver blade on the purple background, they belong to Kimak clan. They are ruled by Kutan.''

Bold nodded, and Ozmush continued ''He's long known for his quarrels with his own people and has even proclaimed himself a khagan, although a petty one. Land he rules isn't vast.''

‘’I see.’’ Bold said as fading sunlight enlightened his face ‘’Then let's put an end to his petty rule.’’

r8z0VZ1.png

Kimak clan suffered another defeat at the hands of Persians led by o'Ginn.

Lands of Kimak Cumans proved to be same as the rest of the steppe. Flat and dry. There were few forests here and there, even less animals. Sun was burning hot as Ozmush and Bold rode hard towards Kimak settlement. Now that their army has been crushed, a free path has been opened for Persians and Kyrgyz. Ozmush rode behind Persian khan, unsatisfied with the position that was given to him by Kyrgyz khagan. For one, he did not want to leave his warriors with the khagan. Having a steel dagger pressed against man’s throat can make him agree on many things. And Ozmush swore on his father’s name that he was not going to forget that insult.Khan o’Ginn was slowly proving himself to be a capable leader. Only a fool would think otherwise. All that was left now was to make a friend out of him.

‘’There it is, Ozmush-khan.’’ o’Ginn exclaimed as he ordered his army to stop while he pointed to a small dot in a distance. A large mass of water could be seen behind the dot which was a lake Balkhash, a largest lake in the great sea of grass. ‘’Kimak settlement. Our target.’’

Ozmush frowned ‘’Let’s get this over with then. I want to go back to my army as soon as possible.’’

‘’As you wish.’’ Bold said and smirked ‘’Forward!’’

In a combined effort, Kyrgyz and Persians stormed the Kimak settlement. Judging from Kimak reaction and eagerness to defend their home, they expected an attack. They mounted their horses swiftly and rode out to meet the attackers. Their resistance was short-lived, for their lack of numbers and quality leadership led them to be surrounded by Bold’s warriors in a wide circle. Persian Khan split his forces in half, leading a direct assault on the settlement himself while giving the command of other half to his general Javeed, who was ordered to end anyone who tried to escape. Ozmush followed o’Ginn in a direct assault on the settlement. Cuman warriors fell one by one. Some were shot down by arrows and some were cut down with blades and given quick deaths. Then there were unlucky ones who were trampled by galloping horses. When Persians rode into the settlement, they found no resistance inside. Most of the settlers surrendered to the attackers while the rest tried to escape. It was not a wise decision though, as their attempts ended with their deaths, and general Javeed was the reaper.

While Ozmush led his horse on foot through the settlement followed by two of his personal guards, rest of the warriors pillaged and looted the settlement. Persian warriors stole goods and valuables from Cumans and killed anyone who would try to oppose them. Yurts were burning covering the sky with black smoke. It was all a familiar sight. Sounds of weeping women, screaming of children and the sight of corpses and dirt red of blood. He could laugh if it wasn’t for one thing Ozmush did not understand. Persians took no slaves. General Javeed gave Ozmush a stern look as the latter was approaching. Then he nodded in a greeting matter. Ozmush nodded back.

‘’Cowards.’’ Javeed commented and spat on the ground ‘’All of them. Is this why their warriors died in a battle?’’

Ozmush raised an eyebrow ‘’You don’t seem satisfied, general.’’

General frowned ‘’Of course I'm not. These maggots did not even try to defend themselves.’’

''Cumans are dirty animals.'' Ozmush explained when general looked at him ''You are not taking any slaves.''

‘’In our religion, Zoroastrians cannot be slaves. A Zoroastrian took no other Zoroastrians as slaves.’’ Javeed smiled thoughtfully as he explained.

‘’That does not answer my question, general. Cumans are not Zoroastrians.’’

‘’True. We Persians know best how it is to be a slave to someone. Thus we are not taking any slaves on the order of our lord khan’’ Javeed explained, his face emotionless and voice serious ''Wolf of Persia has freed us all from the shackles.''

‘’Bold o’Ginn.’’ Ozmush said ‘’He's a good warrior.’’

General smirked ''All of us would die for him if need arises. He's a man with the vision.''

‘’It is good to know that Bold-khan is such a gallant man.’’ Ozmush smiled and patted general on his shoulder twice as he proceeded to walk past him. o’Ginn has loyal followers, he thought as he witnessed a warrior raping a Cuman wife in front of her children.

GgQ0j3L.png

Persians entered Kimak settlement as invaders and victors as they crushed last remnants of their army.

By the end of the day, attackers have finished looting and pillaging. Kimak clan suffered a crushing defeat with their army destroyed and home settlement raided. Those in the upper chain of command gathered in yurt of khagan Kutan of the Kimak clan which they took for themselves, feasting and celebrating the victory. Among the present were Ozmush and his two bodyguards, and Bold o’Ginn with his two generals, Hormuz and Javeed with a dozen other lieutenants and warriors of importance. Cuman girls were serving them drinks and food. Ozmush was amused when he learned that Bold actually offered them to serve food and drinks. An offer they could refuse. Girls accepted obviously, to avoid being defiled by Persian warriors who already had their fair share of women among other things.

‘’I would like to say a toast!’’ Javeed exclaimed as he stood up from his seat, addressing people inside. Everyone stopped whatever actions they’ve been doing and focused their attention on the general ‘’Long time ago, I was but a slave. Nothing more than a lowly nobody, just as the rest of my family. For many years after I was captured, I could only imagine a slave’s death, and hope it could come as soon as possible. But then…’’ he stopped for a moment and looked at o’Ginn sitting on the opposite side of a table. ‘’…a certain man arrived to Persia! He was very young and inexperienced, barely seventeen summers old. But he rode forward and struck hard with the blade in his hand. He was ruthless to the Turks and spared none of them on his path. Tonight, we drink in the name of o'Ginn, a wolf of Persia!’’

A loud cheer and applause filled the yurt of Kimak khagan as followers of o’Ginn raised their cups and drank in Bold’s name. It was a sight to see, Ozmush knew. To be admired by his men, Bold o’Ginn was indeed a man of great worth. Khan of Saur clan raised his cup as well, and Wolf of Persia nodded approvingly with a smile. Late in the night, Ozmush found himself pretty dazed by the drink, and was eyeing one of the girls lustfully. Her light skin was shiny and her simple dress revealed one of her legs. Khan licked his lips as they curled upwards into a smirk. He motioned with his hand for the girl to approach. Within a few seconds, she found herself in front of Ozmush, with her head bowed. Reaching out with his right hand, he pulled her into his lap. She was shy, for she turned her head away. She was shy, and very young. Probably not even twenty summers old. With his left, he reached under the dress between her legs and smiled as girl sighed. Others paid no attention to them as they were busy with drinking and singing.

‘’Take me to your home.’’ he whispered an order into her ear, and girl nodded her head obediently without any sign of protest as if she immediately accepted her fate. Or maybe she secretly wished for this. That thought amused Ozmush. Before they stood up, a feast was interrupted when the door of the yurt was opened and three men walked inside. A man in rags, muddy and bloody, almost naked, walked inside. He was in chains. Two men that escorted him inside were Bold’s men. Singing and drinking stopped, and everyone was curious for who was the man worthy enough to interrupt the feast of o’Ginn. Ozmush as well kept sitting on his seat.

‘’My lord khan.’’ warriors greeted and bowed their hands ‘’This is a man that calls himself a Kimak khagan.’’

Bold o’Ginn was sitting in his seat, sipping liquor slowly from his cup. He gave a nod and his men left the yurt. Suddenly, it was dead silent in the yurt. This might be interesting, Ozmush thought as he considered to stay at the yurt for a while longer.

‘’You are Kutan, a man who calls himself khagan?’’ o’Ginn asked the man in chains from his seat. Prisoner stood tall and proud, and just by his stance, Ozmush knew that he was indeed the man.

‘’That I am. You are in my house.’’ Khagan said with a stern voice. His wet hair covered most of his face, and Ozmush couldn’t guess his age. He wasn't young.

‘’And you are in chains.’’ Bold replied and stood up to approach khagan in slow steps. Khagan looked at something behind Persian khan before his eyes returned to its former target. ‘’I’ve took them down. A sight of silver blades on the purple was not pleasing to my eyes. I prefer a howling wolf you can see behind me.’’ When they first entered khagan’s yurt few hours ago, Bold o’Ginn ordered for enemy’s banners to be taken down and replaced them with his own. It was a great disrespect to Kimak clan, to have their own banners taken down in their own home.

‘’Tell me, khagan of the Kimak.’’ Bold smirked as he stopped just a pace away from khagan. He was a whole head taller than him, and khagan was not a short man ‘’What did you think when you decided to attack us?’’

Khagan fowned ‘’There is no place for Zoroastrian filth in the steppe.’’

His comment resulted in angry remarks from the Persians, but Bold o’Ginn just grinned ‘’Then how does it feel to have your home destroyed, warriors killed, wives and daughters defiled and everything you had taken away by the filth?’’

Unexpectedly to everyone, khagan Kutan laughed loudly and made one step closer to Bold and was right in his face. Bold's warriors reacted swiftly with drawing their swords, encircling the older khagan. He didn't even flinch ‘’I cannot wait to see your head on a pike in the Altai when Karluks come from the south.’’

‘’I would gladly present you with the heads of your family, but you will not have the eyes to see.’’ Bold threatened in a serious tone and turned around to walk back to his seat ‘’Dig a hole for him. Put him there for the night, and sharpen my blades. Get him out of here.’’

Two warriors immediately approached and took khagan under his arms to carry him outside. He did not resist and just stared coldly at o’Ginn’s back. Persian khan did not bother to look back at him.

‘’Carry on with the feast, my friends.’’ he said with a wide smile and feast was continued.

Ozmush almost forgot about the girl in his lap when the song of Persian warriors brought him back to reality. He was captivated by Bold’s and Kutan’s conversation. Both of them were not ordinary men.

He slapped the girl’s butt and she stood up, followed by Ozmush who motioned to her to lead him to her home. Two of them walked outside into the dark, past Persian guardsmen, and into her bed. It was a good ending to a night.

NmkKgBt.png

Last edited: