• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally got around to reading this after you told me about your AAR. I'm liking the narrative style and using a historical figure as a semi-narrator for each update is a nice touch. Looking forward to seeing where you take Burgundy. I imagine the first step is to connect your two halves, or at least that is what I'd do as Burgundy.

Really good AAR so far man, looking forward to the next part of it :)

Thank you, I hope to keep up the quality!

Nice prologue. :)

Thank you!

I greatly enjoy historybook style AARs. And you're editing the diplomat and merchant names to be appropriate?! I'm gonna love this.

Thank you for the compliment! As for the diplomat and merchant names: not entirely. Jean de Thoisy and Dino Respondi have died before 1444. But to pay homage to my POV characters, I inserted them and I'll keep looking for ways to keep the game close to the narrative, for flavor :)

Finally got around to reading this after you told me about your AAR. I'm liking the narrative style and using a historical figure as a semi-narrator for each update is a nice touch. Looking forward to seeing where you take Burgundy. I imagine the first step is to connect your two halves, or at least that is what I'd do as Burgundy.

Glad you like it :)
As for connecting the halves: I've been looking forward to insert René de Valois-Anjou - Duke of Provence, Bar and Lorraine and claimant to much more - into this story.

Still looking really good! :) Can't wait for the next parts!

Music, Maestro! - by Antoine de Croy (1444-1455)

Antoinelegrand.jpg

Antoine de Croy (1385 – 1475, both unknown) was eldest son and heir of Jean de Croy, a lower noble from Picardy who rose to power at the Burgundian court. Antoine was named Chamberlain, later Governor General of the Netherlands and Luxembourg for Philippe III. However, he came in conflict with the successor of the latter, Charles I and moved to the Kingdom of France. There as well, he received various titles, among them the very prestigious one of Grand Master of France. The de Croy family would count 32 Knights of the Golden Fleece over the centuries, a record.

-----

The true conquest of Burgundy in the early 15th century, was to be found far from battlefields. It was in churches and even courtrooms at occasion, and was called “polyphonic vocal music”. Polywhat? Oh, you mean different voices. I knew that. It’s what makes it different from classic Gregorian chant. With this music, the Burgundians truly conquered the European courts: composers as Gilles Binchois, Guillaume Dufay and Jean de Ockeghem found a school of music which would be heard in every European city. The music, wildly popular and sought after, greatly enhanced the prestige of its regions of origin: Flanders and Burgundy. Philippe III, as a known Maecenas of art, supported these artists, as much as he had supported painters as Jan van Eyck and Rogier van der Weyden.

But make no mistake. Burgundy did have success on the battlefield as well. – Of course we did. I was leading the army! And it was necessary. After the treaty of Arras in 1435, Philippe III had not only lost his most powerful ally, Denmark and Castille were becoming increasingly hostile as well. The Danes were losing an increasing amount of trade to Dutch merchants in the Baltic Sea. Affairs reached an all-time depth when the Danish King, Christian von Wittelsbach, requested Philippe III for a compensation: Dutch pirates would have attacked Danish merchants. Philippe III refused, stating that not the Dutch, but the Danes themselves were aggressors, and that they were rightly sunken. As for Castille, the matter was simple… Philippe III had allied himself with Castilian archenemy Aragon, in an attempt to find another strong ally, should Charles VII change his mind regarding the Burgundian independence. To make matters worse, both Charles VII and Henry VII of Lancaster were preparing for war, it would only be a question of time. – And so did we. Soldiers never had more exercise! On a positive note, a second ally was found. The emergent English and French expansionist policies quite helped to convince the Grand Duke of Brittany, François de Dreux, to leave the side of Charles VII and marry his son to a daughter of Philippe III.

The partition of the Anjou territory clearly illustrated the tensed atmosphere in the region. Ruling Duke René de’Anjou-Valois (another cadet branch of the Valois dynasty) had been an old ally of Charles VII. – An ally? More like a subject. That zealot peasant girl was one of his subjects to start with! He was the son of Louis II, King of Naples and Violant de Barcelona, who held a claim on no less than 4 kingdoms: Aragon, Sicily, Jerusalem and Cyprus. René’s sister was no one less than Marie d’Anjou-Valois was married to Charles VII, making her Queen of France. Yet, the King and his brother in law did not agree. Week after week, René had petitioned Charles VII to reclaim his birthright, and every time Charles VII had refused. Disappointed, René had left the court of France. For Philippe III, encouraged by his allies Brittany and Aragon, this was a dreamed opportunity.

Aveu_Ren%C3%A9_2.jpg

René d'Anjou-Valois, paying homage (part of a vassal oath) to Charles VII.

On December 11th of 1444, Brittany and Burgundy attacked. The army in Lorraine didn’t stand a chance, and surrendered. While Burgundy lay siege to Lorraine and Bar, their Breton allies sieged the ancestral province of the d’Anjou-Valois dynasty. When it became clear that René was losing the war, Charles VII decided to confiscate his territory, to make sure it remained French territory. Already Pope Eugenius IV had declared that not only Avignon, but also Draguignan had been a gift from the French Crown to the Papacy, and invaded on his turn the Anjou territory. The belligerents divided the territory of René d’Anjou-Valois: Philippe III took possession of Bar, Brittany took Anjou. Draguignan would be added to the Papal State and France would be compensated with Maine and Provence. The Duchy of Lorraine was given to Ferry II de Vaudemont, the son of an old ally of Burgundy, Antoine de Vaudemont. However, the partition turned out to be the prelude of a much bigger war. René died on the battlefield, leaving no issue. This meant that, by right, all his possessions would go to the current queen of France, Marie. In March 1452, Charles VII declared war on the Breton-Burgundian alliance.

Drums of war were heard in every corner of France. But until that point, no one would have thought Philippe III was a capable warrior. They were wrong. The Duke was every bit a warrior, and he knew how to instill fear on his enemies. “The Black Duke” they would call him: Philippe III had not worn any other color since the death of his father, and had made a completely blackened Gothic full plate armor, endorsed with gold and over his chest, the Saint Andrews Cross.

t6eQnyF.jpg

The armor of the Black Duke. Cloth wrappings would form a St. Andrews cross over his torso, but those were lost in time.

His leadership was needed. After a full surrender of the Breton army at Maine, the Burgundians soon realized they had to face the entire strength of the French army alone. The French lost no time, and commander Jean de Dunois launched an attack at Nevers, but was beaten back by Nevers and Burgundy. Severe casualties by the defenders were sustained, however. Soon after, another French army under command of Jean Bureau attacked the capital of Dijon itself, but again the Burgundians managed to hold their ground, thanks to the timely intervention of Brabantian and Dutch reinforcements. – I was there… If it weren’t for their two generals, we would have destroyed them…

Similar battles ensued. At every turn, the French armies would cause significant losses to the Burgundian defenders. Yet they were beaten back, in no small thanks to the continuous inspiration of the Black Duke. While the Bretons were mustering a new army, the Burgundians held off the French. By then, Philippe realized he had to launch a counteroffensive. A small company was detached to conquer the unprotected north of France. Nemours, Champagne and Vermandois quickly succumbed, and soon Burgundian troops stood at the gates of Paris. It would be the last time Philippe III saw Paris. His black armor was too much of a target for enemy crossbowmen, and Philippe got hit by a bolt in the shoulder. While the wound itself was not mortal, the infection that followed was. While leading the main body of his army away from Paris, to support his allies fend off yet another French attack in Orléans, Philippe III de Bourgogne died. His son Charles I inherited a war-torn country, and a rebellion in Bar, which caused severe unrest in the Burgundian army command. Of course it did! What if that horrible province had spawned another Joan of Arc?

Charles proved to be as capable as his father regarding military command, but since he had no heir and keeping the fate of his father in mind, he chose not to lead the troops personally, and gave command to Antoine de Croy – ME! In Orléans, as in the first battle of Nevers, the French troops were beaten back. The key were the Flemish pikemen, I swear. At every charge of the French knights, charges that would have destroyed any other army, they managed to keep the lines together. Soon after, the Barrois rebellion was subdued by a Neverois-Dutch army. – I never doubted our eventual victory. NEVER.The second battle of Nevers was no different: again the Breton-Burgundian armies held their ground. As for Charles I, he noticed staying behind the lines had advantages. In January 1453, a son was born to the Duke. Things were looking bright for Burgundy. Unfortunately, the armies of their ally grew reckless. While the Burgundians continued to siege Paris, the Bretons, who wished to conquer very base of power of Charles VII – Armagnac, suffered a humiliating loss. A Brabander army under command of Filip de Leeuw, sent as a reinforcement, suffered a similar fate in the Pyrenees. But in June 1453, Paris was conquered. The entire north of France was now under Burgundian control.

1Cpo9Hu.jpg

The glorious Burgundian army besieging Paris. Or was it Lyon? Hm, I can't remember... - Antoine de Croy (original source: Chronique de Suisse)

A new French invasion in Burgundian territory followed the conquest of Paris, but again the French were beaten back at Charolais. All these battles had worn out both realms tough, and the English were eying hungrily. Francois de Dreux would have nothing from peace negotiations tough, and setup the siege of Lyons. A desperate French attempt to lift the siege followed, but no avail. At this point, even Charles VII had to recognize defeat. In February 1455, a peace was signed. Since France had no more money to pay for war reparations, the Bretons took Saintonge and Maine and forced Charles VII to hand over his bulwark of Armagnac to England. Furthermore, the Bretons rewarded an ally of theirs who had worked again France behind the schemes: Guillaume de Talleyrand. As a reward for his service, he was granted the now independent Duchy of Toulouse. As for Burgundy, they gained nothing. And everything: Charles VII formally recognized the Burgundian independence.

While the independence was won, the only one rejoicing was death, who was welcoming the ten thousands of new souls dancing to its pipes. Over 180.000 French, Burgundian, Breton, Brabander and Dutch soldiers had perished in the conflict, an entire generation was essentially wiped out. France had received a major blow, but Burgundy too was severely weakened. Meanwhile, England was eying its rivals hungrily. While Burgundy and France were devouring each other, the English throne had passed to Henry VII Frederick of… Habsburg.

4L7n9fl.jpg

-----

Fore those of you who prefer screenshots over the storyline and illustrations: here you go. If you want more, just ask.
Some questions I expect:
How I was able to win so many battles? High morale thanks to the Jousting event + Burgundian traditions, always defending and luck. Pure, dumb luck.
Why I didn't get any territory from France? I didn't rival them, had no claims and forgot to put my interest in provinces when the war started.
Why I didn't rival them? Already Castille, Denmark and England had declared me a rival. I was afraid to make too many enemies at game start and push them into big hostile alliances. Like the English-Austrian right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

No question, since you've already answered them.
You beat France, and just after you see an English-Austrian alliance. That's the kind of situation when I think this game hates me. :)

Oh and my sweet Anjou under those filthy hands of Britanny. How could you let this happen !

Having France weakened so early on can only be a good thing when you're their neighbour. Last thing you want is the BBB breathing down your neck.

A Habsburg in England? Time for the Habsburgs to take over Europe through marriage. :p

Thanks for the update.

No question, since you've already answered them.
You beat France, and just after you see an English-Austrian alliance. That's the kind of situation when I think this game hates me. :)

Oh and my sweet Anjou under those filthy hands of Britanny. How could you let this happen !

Honest is honest... I did see the alliance a month after game start, but found no suitable place for the narrative to fit it in. Lots of events do make it harder to read, I think. But yes. I hope my alliance with Aragon keeps them off my back, and that they pick on France instead.

As for Anjou... Je suis fort désolé.

Having France weakened so early on can only be a good thing when you're their neighbour. Last thing you want is the BBB breathing down your neck.

A Habsburg in England? Time for the Habsburgs to take over Europe through marriage. :p

No! I will not be inherited! ;)

NIce AAR, will keep an eye on it.

Can I as what the painting in the first post is meant to represent?

NIce AAR, will keep an eye on it.

Can I as what the painting in the first post is meant to represent?

Glad you asked! The painting is representing "Dulle Griet", which would be translated to English as "Mad/Angry Meg", who is leading an army of peasant women to pillage hell. It is based on various old Dutch (Flemish) sayings:
  • She could plunder in front of hell and return unscathed. -> being very audacious
  • He could go to Hell with a sword in his hand. -> similar meaning as the previous
  • One woman makes a din, two women a lot of trouble, three an annual market, four a quarrel, five an army, and against six the Devil himself has no weapon.
What I wanted in my cover picture was an old painting by a Flemish master of the 16th or 17th century, showing something related to war. Even if this painting is allegorical instead of realistic, it does show what I wanted.

awesome part god damn habsburgs :)

Indeed. Terrible thing, that alliance.

Once again great work :) First war is won and now let's hope we don't see the Austrians or English trying to be funny at a very exhausted Burgundy. Do you have a strategy for taking over the remaining Dutch minors and you might want to move your capital to the Dutch region later on to prevent the Dutch Rebellion. Also make sure that English loses Calais or it will just spawn there :)

Keep up the good work :)

And as someone has said: Anjou must be freed from those damn Bretons! :D

You can never escape the Habsburgs messing things up. Grr...

Great, the first war with France is won and they have been weakened. Habsburgs in England could be a problem, but first it must be prevented that France recovers or falls under foreign control. Either would be bad I guess. But you are off to a good start here I think.

Great update. I really like the possibility to look at the normal screenshots from the game. Keep up the good work!

Once again great work :) First war is won and now let's hope we don't see the Austrians or English trying to be funny at a very exhausted Burgundy. Do you have a strategy for taking over the remaining Dutch minors and you might want to move your capital to the Dutch region later on to prevent the Dutch Rebellion. Also make sure that English loses Calais or it will just spawn there :)

Keep up the good work :)

And as someone has said: Anjou must be freed from those damn Bretons! :D

You can never escape the Habsburgs messing things up. Grr...

Great, the first war with France is won and they have been weakened. Habsburgs in England could be a problem, but first it must be prevented that France recovers or falls under foreign control. Either would be bad I guess. But you are off to a good start here I think.

Take down one threat, another fills its place.

Thanks again for all your positive comments. It's really motivating to continue writing this AAR with such a great audience :)

Speaking of which, a new update should come up within a few hours.

The Burgundian Renaissance, by Tommaso Portinari (1455-1467)

363px-Hans_Memling_046.jpg

Tommaso Portinari (1424, unknown - 1501, Firenze) was an Italian banker and head of the Medici bank in Bruges. He was known for his support to Flemish artists, the painting above made by Hans Memling. His large loans to Charles I de Bourgogne allowed him to become a financial advisor at his court, but Charles’ defeat in 1477 and several other bad investments had cost the Medici bank dearly: they gave up the Bruges filial in 1480 and Tommaso was fired. While he made a short comeback as a diplomat in 1496, contributing to the Intercursus Magnus (a commercial treaty established between the Habsburg Lower Countries and England), he eventually died a poor man in Florence.

-----

The Breton-Burgundian victory over France had drastically changed the diplomatic playfield of the XVth century. The independence of Toulouse was a big loss for France, almost completely landlocked now. Only the Provence and, after 1461, Navarra, provided the Kingdom with ships and sailors. The country had also suffered a huge loss in reputation: for decades, France would not gain any new allies among the Great Powers of Europe and allied with minor states, as Lucca (1455) and Utrecht (1461), both members of the Genovese Trade League, with whom France already was allied. – The French Crown was only French in name… Genovese bankers were ruling the Kingdom, but spared Charles VII from the humiliation of a total bankrupt.

As for Charles, he would finally be able put his mind to diplomacy, for the enemies of Burgundy were many. His efforts were contraproductive however: the Duke had spent much time preparing an alliance with Sweden, wherein he promised to come to their aid should they revolt against Denmark (1462), but revoked the alliance three years later (1465). He had also managed to make an enemy of the Hungarian Habsburg King, with his continuous insults of the Habsburg line. – “Inbreeding pigs” was the terminology he used, if I believe correctly. It was said chancellor Rolin died of severe stress, unable to cope with the huge pressure of the Duke on the Burgundian chancellery. His successor was a little luckier: due to the tragic death of his firstborn, Charles I was in mourning and stayed away. Afterwards he lost interest in the chancellery which, strangely, improved working conditions for the diplomats.

318px-Charles_the_Bold_1460.jpg

Charles I de Bourgogne, painted by Rogier van der Weyden (1460).

Affairs of state were better served. Charles I not only continued, he even increased his patronage of the arts, leading to a true Burgundian renaissance. Painters, sculptors and poets filled the many palaces in Dijon, Lilles, Arras, Gent and Bruges, and especially the painters, the so-called “Flemish Primitives” became the new leading export of Burgundian culture. – I have shipped various paintings to Firenze myself. On one of my trips home, I even had the company of several artists, who wished to learn in Italy! Regarding internal politics, he successfully limited the powers of his cousin Jean de Bourgogne, count of Nevers, putting the county de facto under his direct control. The province of Bar was granted the rights of a full province, and would be henceforth represented in the États-généraux, a new organ which was created in 1456 to unite the delegates of all Burgundian provinces, including Brabant and Holland. Taxes were lowered to ease the burden on the population and, in general, the economic condition improved.

Charles’ main focus however, was on the military. The loss of his father and the many lives in the earlier French war, had convinced him that the military needed to reform. The fact the army had almost been completely defeated, gave him the means to do so without stirring trouble. Of the generals, only Antoine de Croy protested, but he was quickly removed from office. The focus of the composition of Charles' new army was, based on French example, the homme d'armes, the man-of-arms. Every homme d'armes stood at the head of a lance, consisting of 1 page, 1 coustillier, 3 archiers à cheval (mounted archers) and 3 pure foot soldiers. A short description of the weapons and armor of each:
Homme d'armes: plate armor and heavy lance. If fighting on foot, a pollaxe would be used.
Page: Not intended to fight, but would serve the homme d'armes or serve as standard bearer.
Coustillier: Also mounted, but with lighter armor as the homme d'armes. He would carry a coustille (a long dagger) and a demi-lance or voulge.
Archier à cheval: While these troups were mounted, they were not intended to fight on horseback. Their scope was to ride close to the enemy, fire their missiles (be it crossbow, bow or an early firearm) and move when the situation required it.
Foot soldiers: mostly pikemen, crossbowmen or couleuvriniers, soldiers armed with early firearms. The inclusion of pure foot soldiers in the lance, was a major difference with the French army, who preferred 6-man units, all on horseback. As for Burgundy, the reputation of the Flemish pikemen made sure Charles would not forget to include them in his army. This compositiion would be maintained and perfected in the later compagnie d'ordonnance*. The result was a very modern and organized army, that soon received its first practice.

3704_xl.jpg

Detail of one of the tapestries of David et Bethsabée (1525), a series of an unknown master from the Lower Countries, depicting a lance. At the bottom right, a page. Right above him, a Coustillier.

In 1463, the old king of Aragon had declared war on the Pope himself. What started as a boundary dispute at the border of Naples, would become a conflict with almost the entire western Mediterranean involved: Savoye, Lucca and Burgundy joined Aragon, while Castile, Firenze and Siena joined the Papal State. – A terrible thing. Many times I have tried to convince the Duke not to support Aragon, but he would not listen! Even if Charles I was hesitant to commit fully – he had built up his troops again, but had nearly no reserve troops, he was given no choice when Castile defeated the main army of Aragon. Allowing Aragon to loose, was to lose his only strong ally. So he sent his army to Valencià, to lift the Castilian siege. The ensuing battle at the gates of Valencia proved Charles I had been right with his reformation of the army: Burgundian losses were not even half of the casualties inflicted upon Castile. Six months later, a new Castilian attack on Valencia followed, and again the Burgundian army had inflicted twice as many casualties on the enemy. The war also saw the Burgundian fleet in action for the very first time. A Castilian warfleet was beaten at the coast of Picardy by Burgundian, Brabander and Dutch ships in 1464.

While the troops of the coalition were laying siege on Castile, important news was brought to Burgundy: The English-Austrian alliance had declared war on France. This came as good news for Charles, who was eager to see his main rivals weaken each other. More good news followed: King Joan II de Trastámara died in 1466, with his successor Pere V, already 66 years old and without issue. Next in line for the throne, would be… Clara de Trastámara, niece of the current king, who recently had wed Charles’ cousin Philippe. If they would succeeded in producing a male child, the Aragonese throne might just pass into Burgundian hands. Pere V de Trastámara did not feel much like continuing the ongoing conflict however, and brokered a peace with Pope Clemens VII. Aragon would be given the Castilian province of Soria, and would pay quite the amount of gold.

Charles immediately ordered new tapestries, sculptures and paintings. After all, wasn't it time for a rebirth?

gHVF2aK.jpg

-------
*= this is, in fact, the composition of a compagnie d'ordonnance, which would consist out of 100 lances. But to keep the narrative close to the game, I don't want to introduce the compagnie d'ordonnance just yet. Same goes for the Order of the Golden Fleece, which was founded historically in 1430 already, but I'll wait to introduce that until I unlock the national tradition.

Screenshots can be found here.

So! Another very interesting decade. 1467 leaves me (again) with a shortage on manpower, but at least I managed to keep almost all of my army, and Castille was beaten. The situation does look interesting for another war tough, with France at odds with Austria and England.

Last edited: