• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My main issue with Evasion at the moment is, that as soon as the elite OpFor pilots step on the field no amount of evasion + Hit Defense Gyro will safe your mechs from getting pummeled.

Yes, I highly prefer Bulwark as is, because if in Assaults or Heavies it is nigh impossible to outmaneuver and knock out the mass of enemies quick enough. Even with tactical sound positioning, circeling around and eating one part (main force, reinforcement, supporting dudes) after the other one will ALWAYS end with 2:1 or 3:1 odds.
And let's be honest: the moments the AC20s start to fly I'm rather Bulwarked and avoid one hit headchops, than trying to dance away and getting hit disregarding how much evasion I collected.

Just my 2cents.

My main issue with Evasion at the moment is, that as soon as the elite OpFor pilots step on the field no amount of evasion + Hit Defense Gyro will safe your mechs from getting pummeled.

Yes, I highly prefer Bulwark as is, because if in Assaults or Heavies it is nigh impossible to outmaneuver and knock out the mass of enemies quick enough. Even with tactical sound positioning, circeling around and eating one part (main force, reinforcement, supporting dudes) after the other one will ALWAYS end with 2:1 or 3:1 odds.
And let's be honest: the moments the AC20s start to fly I'm rather Bulwarked and avoid one hit headchops, than trying to dance away and getting hit disregarding how much evasion I collected.

Just my 2cents.

100% this. The changes just make the endgame missions brutal. I used to be able to do most 5 star missions in my sleep, but earlier with the beta patch I couldn't even complete one.

I hope HBS will consider making these changes multiplayer-only, and leave singleplayer alone.

My starting point would be that I'm not a fan of vanilla Bulwark (for non-gameplay reasons), I think Evasion is underpowered, and Sensor lock is a bit weak. I agree that Juggernaut is useless.

However: nerfing Bulwark without strengthening evasion will make the typical 2:1 ratio of enemies even more unfair. (Fixing the mediocre AI and reducing enemy counts would be better, but I digress). Being able to tank only if you stand in full cover, don't shoot and activate Bulwark does not sound useful.

Coolant Flush is just silly. Why would you reroute coolant through the cockpit? How on earth would that make any sense, given that the cockpit is hermetically sealed and you're sometimes operating in a vacuum. It would be better to have coolant flush either reduce less heat, be single use, or have some other limitation like you can't move that round.

The sensor lock change sounds reasonable.

Edit: I'd like to see Bulwark offer something like a smaller damage reduction and a big stab bonus. Alternatively it spreads the damage around as your pilot torso twists etc, so that you get more use out of your armour.

Edit 2: Coolant flush could involve flushing the coolant into the mech's legs, using them as giant heat sinks, thus cooling the core but damaging the internal structure of the legs. Makes far more sense and is similar-ish in gameplay cost/benefit.

Okay - perspective from someone who is not, and won't be an expert (of whom "normal" difficuly, for example, is the maximum difficulty of any game played, and "easy" is more common).

Yeah it'll make the mech beastly, but nobody will shoot at it. The AI will just ignore it in favour of a better target, as will human players in multiplayer...

Unless they change the AI and give the bulwarked mech some sort of "aggro" or "taunt" mechanic, it will just be a pointless ability in the campaign.

Yeah. I used brace outside of combat maybe twice in a hundred hours and I never used the ability (I can't even remember what it is called); nor am I ever likely to start. Trading migitating damage for not shooting might maybe be situationally okay in multiplayer (I don't multiplayer), but against the OpFor when your out-numbered, you need to be defeating in detail and as fast as possible and you can't do that by not shooting. Every round you are not shooting the enemy is a round you haven't killed something.

Shooting AI with it on is basically a waste of anything with ammunition. At 75% damage reduction (the AI does use cover, after all), you might as well write "don't bother" instead unless you have breaching shot. (I suppose at that point, you might as well brace, and I can see the really exciting scenario of when down to the last mechs, you and AI sitting around bracing, because neither of you will be the first to attack... Shades of Ash Ketchum's first battle with Caterpie in Pokémon.) You don't have usually enough ammunition when you have to deal with eight to twelve enemies that you can afford to waste it on something that it will barely touch.

It might work using a decoy for the AI to shoot... As long as the AI is programmed to essentially waste its round actually shooting something at 75% damage reduction, which is not good strategy if you have other targets. (And one would suspect that as BT goes along, the AI will get better.)

Combined with new accuracy debuff issues with sensor lock when dealing with loads of OpFor (which has the number if can spare to debuff you, like you can't afford to unless you can't do anything else), we have basically lost a major method of migitating damage AND will now lose accuracy. Evasion doesn't grant you enough late-game when you have all assaults, fighting all assaults. (my Atlas spent the entire game jumping around for evasion and evasion did almost nothing to help it, even with an evasive pilot) Three chevrons if you jump is the best I found I could managed and that made very little difference to the OpFor. (And the new changes encourage sensor lock, too.)

All of which is going to make the game much harder when outnumbered. And honestly, unlike a lot of the fine folk around here, I don't want the game to be (non-optionally) harder, the difficulty was fine where it was - for me.

If this change persists to Flashpoint, I would suspect I will simply drop bulwark completely and all my pilots would end up, like as not, using some mix of gunnery and tactics skills (I didn't think all that much of piloting before, so most likely will replace bulwark with sensor lock. So less variety than before.)

And I say that, because, my feedback, I'm afraid, has to be that I am going to pass on testing this new beta myself. I've had about enough BT for the moment doing the campaign[1] and I really don't fancy trying to fight eight or twelve to one odds now that not only have my defences been reduced, but my offense lkely to be as well in a fair number of missions - it's not revitalising my desire to play more at the moment, I'm afraid. I will cross that bridge when Flashpoint comes out, if necessary.

(When I can get all the by-then- experts to tell me what the best alternative in the current meta is.)

*tips helmet to HBS staff*

[1]I switch between games a lot, and I don't generally play one game for weeks on end. Wicther 3, I think, currently holds the record when I played it for the first time this year, for holding my interest for 215 hours without my taking a break to play something else in the middle. At 130 hours with only one day playing something else, BT has already done well.

I like that devs are experimenting and changing things. Without testing it in-game I can't say for sure but the only thing standing out is the cheese that Coolant Vent will be in MP and possibly in SP.

This thing has the same issues with DFA attacks. In single player you usually expect more fights and don't really want to break your mech's legs early so DFA can't be exploited as much as it can be in MP. For the same exact reasons you may refrain from using Coolant Vent.

Now, in MP everything changes. You know EXACTLY how many enemies you'll be facing and you know exactly when you can make DFA attacks with impunity for almost no real penalty. The same thing will happen with Coolant Vent. Now if you consider that certain mech bulds are only balanced because of Heat restrictions and the fact that getting a pilot injury is a mere inconvenience compared to shooting your overpowered alpha strike again in the next round and quite possibly getting a kill, I don't think I need to play the beta to know that it's going to be all kinds of broken.....

I don't see Coolant Vent making it past BETA to be honest.

I also can't understand why there is no thought about keeping Evasion chevrons intact after getting shot at. This nerfs all mobile mechs in SP because your enemies are always more numerous and can get several shots in, this reducing Evasion while the player can't nearly exploit this in his/her favor with his fixed 4 mech lance. This will immediately add value to Sensor Lock too and make Evasion skills better. Also, Light mechs become more useful mid-game than what they are right now. Am I missing a reason that this change is not considered at all?

I'm more than a little worried about how the changes to Bulwark and Evasive Movement will impact the late-game. As it stands, Bulwark and Evasive are the skills that determine how a player engages in combat. Either you focus on avoiding damage in the first place (and Evasive is absolutely key here for 'Mechs in the 4/6 movement range), or you focus on holding a defensible position and spreading damage around your up-armoured 'Mechs.

If the goal is to discourage the "stand-and-deliver" strategies that Bulwark currently encourages, well, I disagree. If a player wants to adopt a more mobile strategy then Evasive Movement (as it currently stands) is perfectly capable of providing them with that option. I think the statistical analysis of the net damage reduction provided by Bulwark and Evasive, conducted by some of our more dedicated community members, actually leans slightly in favour of Evasive. It is, by the numbers, the better defensive strategy.

If you really do think that Bulwark needs to be changed then I'd rather see the current passive, "no-movement" Guarded bonus reduced to 25% (effectively providing you Cover wherever you are), and then stacking with the active "brace-and-don't-shoot" Guarded bonus of 50%.

When we're facing a numerically superior force, Bulwark allows us to fire while also reducing incoming damage in a fairly predictable pattern. The change outlined here would force us to choose between reducing our incoming damage at the cost of no outgoing damage, or not reducing our incoming or outgoing damage. That isn't necessarily a problem when we're facing an OpFor of roughly the same size, but when we're outnumbered 2-1 (or 3-1), that loss will be felt quite keenly.

For me, the proposed changes to Bulwark will turn it into the new Juggernaut, and Coolshot won't be worth the investment when I could instead have Ace Pilot or Master Tactician (both of which are, defensively speaking, far more beneficial for my lance).

Pretty much this is how I feel.

I also feel the Coolant Vent is going to be yet another disaster and useless skill to avoid. It will never be worth risking your pilots life bar to get off extra damage, especially in the mid to late game when you're outnumbered 2 to 1, or even 3 to 1.

Pilot damage happens so randomly, and quite often in higher end stages of gameplay that getting off another alpha strike and dropping your pilots health and risking him dieing during that mission will never be worth it. Ever. Especially considering that they will be stuck in the med bay for quite some time after even 1 use. Unless fully upgraded. But even then... Not worth it..

So that's 3 skills so far, that are completely useless, and does more damage than good in higher end gameplay once you hit mid/end game.

Last edited:
TBH this mobility change will be a serious nerf to my mobile cavalry approach. All of my mechs in campaign have the movement buff, and I rarely if ever could get the Bulwark to pop on (not my play style). If you want to, consider bumping up the minimum for movement with that ability. The main utility of that ability is giving assault and heavies some sort of maneuverability, it's not nearly as useful for Lights except as making them thoroughly obnoxious targets. The move-after-firing ability, though, I consistently forgot that I had which is a major problem for an ability.
If you want to improve sensor lock, why not make it so allied units firing over the horizon have a significantly increased hit chance or better hit clustering? The sensor debuff sounds more like they are using ECM, whereas a targeting buff just means "we are feeding allies telemetry" (in the style of TAG or C3). OTH attacks require Tactics. Sensors require Tactics. So in order to get the most use of the Lock, you have to have 2 tacticians in your party.

On a tangential note, please get someone in HBS to consider adding a minimum damage quantity for Wounds. Of 65 missions, I've suffered 62 wounds across a campaign (excluding my commander because of reinforced cockpit, add another 10-15 for that), at least half of those are from the missile spread on single warheads. One point of damage isn't enough to show up on the mission closeout HUD, but it's still enough to kill my pilot. With the last update increasing the spread of multi-shot weapons made this a constant problem.

Ok, I'll give my feedback. I agree that you needed to change Juggernaut for something useful, and that Bulwark could be slightly less powerful. Other that that I don't really like any of the proposed changes.

You could change Bulwark to make it simply increase the benefit you get from cover, and add to your stability. Without letting you stand in the open it won't be overpowered.

If you want to make Evasive Movement better, then just make it give you a certain base number of unstrippable evasion pips. It doesn't seem like you understand how useful and fun EM is, even in the slightly weak current form. Every mech benefits except the ones slower than a Battlemaster.

I don't have a problem with a slight buff to sensor lock, although I don't think it's needed.

Coolant flush is an appalling idea, and doesn't even make any sense. If you absolutely have to introduce it, the downside should be that each time it's used your coolant supply is reduced- which makes a couple of heatsinks stop working for the rest of the mission.

Personally I'd make Juggernaut a useful melee ability, like the ability to sprint and attack.

Sensor Lock: So, Sensor Lock is basically budget ECM? Giving the enemy a hard time locking in exchange for taking up a firing action? I'm... not entirely sure I like this direction, especially seeing as how missions with a lot of turrets will now be pretty annoying since they love to sensor lock all of your mechs. At the same time, giving up a firing phase in exchange for a -1 to the enemy's to hit doesn't seem to be any more appealing than stripping evasion. If this was tabletop, maybe. But hitting targets is already easy, and a minor modifier isn't going to make much dent. Making evasion permanent would go a long way to making Sensor Lock more useful, as I found out during my modded playthrough.

Bulwark: This sounds interesting, but again I don't really see how this benefits the player. Maybe it will make dealing with that one sniper AI who just sits in one place Bulwarked up all game a little easier, but the big outcome I can see coming from this is just making dealing with that one enemy mech who's braced up a lot more annoying. Again, I'd advocate for permanent evasion. And maybe slightly more powerful evasion. Bulwarking in that case becomes a trade off of "do I want to be hit, but take less damage, or do I want to not be hit?" I've found while playing with a mod that enables permanent evasion that I had no use for Bulwark because I would rather stay mobile and outright avoid taking the hit. Bulwark in the base game is so important because of how outnumbered you are, but if evasive was more viable it would be less of an obvious choice.

Coolant Vent: Juggernaut was a bit of a useless ability, but I don't see this one being any better. Ignoring that this is not how venting coolant works (you're dumping the current coolant in the reactor out of the mech and replacing it with a reserve tank, not shunting coolant boiling at several hundred degrees Kelvin directly into the cockpit.), I don't see myself ever using this. Besides the fact that my builds tend to build heat slowly, I'd much rather fire less weapons for a turn than have my pilot stuck in the medbay for several months.

Sure Footing: I actually kinda like this. This change weakens the knockdown meta without removing anything too important. Evasive Move was helpful when it came to slower mechs though. Assaults and mechs that move at 4/6 in TT got a bit of mobility defense out of it, while fast mechs saw less benefit. I will add again though, that I found Evasive Move to be very useful with the permanent evasion mod. Anything to be a little harder to hit. Overall, while this isn't exactly piloting checks, it's better than the previous system and probably the best change on the list.

Last edited:
Edmon's commentary, which pretty much lines up with my thoughts on the matter.

The more we look at these proposed changes, the clearer it becomes that they're both counter-productive to what HBS says they want to accomplish, and bad for the game.

HBS might not be looking for "theorycrafting" feedback on these changes... but that is quite obviously exactly what they need.

[Mod edit: Trollish comments]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, diversions thread is busy. Wonder if somebody should start a theory crafting thread and a feedback from actual use thread to better chanalize all these ideas.
The thing is that Kiva said that they've been theorycrafting, prototyping, and discussing theses things internally for a good while now; the result of that is the changes listed in the dev diary.

What is needed now isn't second-guessing those choices, but instead constructive feedback on the abilities as they now work after actually USING them in-game.

Please note that constructive feedback can be negative, the important thing is that it is based on actually trying the abilities out and not just from a theoretical standpoint.

Having read the Kiva Dev Diary thread in it's entirety, and this one. I'm actually confused as to the scope of the changes. From my perspective with about 500 hours of SP play, and pilots of all varieties, the only skill that needed work was Juggernaut, the rest were fine. It's like they want to completely revamp the game. I don't get it. Were they bored or something? Change for the sake of change? It seems a "play the way we want you to play", kind of change, as opposed to the current well balanced system (Juggernaut notwithstanding).

Just reading the descriptions of peoples experiences with it, sounds horrible, even from the players who said they liked it, still sounded horrible to me.

I think most of the changes are pretty stupid, outside Bulwark nerfing (which will make the game MUCH harder, by the way).

Yeah, knockdowns used to be overkill, but the recent nerfing has made them fairly reasonable. I expect that if a mech is battered with a rain of doom and destruction it should eventually fall down, and I think that the current rules make it reasonably hard to pull off, to the point that you need to build your lance around that strategy.

Mobility and cover, however, are REALLY underpowered right now, in part because of hit percentages being too high. Instead of turning sensor lock into a bizarro radar jamming, I´d rather have MUCH more effective evasion, have cover and intervening object seriously affect hit chances (so if I am behind a forested hill, only showing my upper torso, I am much harder to hit), and make sensor lock something you actually need to use if you want to remove evasion pips from fast mediums and lights flanking your lumbering assaults and heavies. I know that will make engagements longer, and lower hitting percentages will be frustrating early on, but long-range snipping with a PPC/LL/AC5 should not have 90%+ hit chances all the frigging time.

Coolant vent sounds actually pretty ludicrous, as well. It might be because I tend to run really cool builds all in all (most of my mechs can alpha four or five times before needing to cycle, and my top-end Atlas can actually alpha 6xLL and 2xLRM5 for 10 turns in a martian environment), but I guess I am a bit of an exception. I can see myself building an insane backstabbing jumping monster around this, but it is a bit of a niche mech.

HBS.... Please, please, PLEASE do not add a combat "coolant flush" mechanic to the game. This is NOT supported by the original canon. This was a gimmick that was added later into the Mechwarrior franchise by some third party dev working on Mechwarrior 3 or 4 (I can't remember which). In no way does "shunting coolant" jive with any basic understand of the laws of thermodynamics:

Removing half the water (even when hot) will never decrease heat in a water cooled engine. Same goes for reactors. Same goes for anything that requires coolant in a closed system.

The closest we have in canon to a "coolant flush" in combat is coolant pods, but these are external to the closed system and compressed. Most importantly, they replace the coolant that is lost in the system when you cycle it. This is not the same as just a "freebie" flush that is attached to the ability.

Please stop perpetuating the dumb myth that a free "coolant flush" in the middle of combat makes any sense at all.

Having read the Kiva Dev Diary thread in it's entirety, and this one. I'm actually confused as to the scope of the changes. From my perspective with about 500 hours of SP play, and pilots of all varieties, the only skill that needed work was Juggernaut, the rest were fine. It's like they want to completely revamp the game. I don't get it. Were they bored or something? Change for the sake of change? It seems a "play the way we want you to play", kind of change, as opposed to the current well balanced system (Juggernaut notwithstanding).

Just reading the descriptions of peoples experiences with it, sounds horrible, even from the players who said they liked it, still sounded horrible to me.
THEORYCRAFTING be here!

I tried out the Beta last night. First off I am a big believer and user of Bulwark. If my MechWarriors could have renamed my Mercenary Outfit it would have been Bulwark 'R Us!

Anyhow, after 4 or so hours of gameplay last night and then the morning to ruminate over it ~ the changes as a whole not only encourage but reward a much, much more fluid manner of gameplay.

I used to rely heavily on establishing a Bulwarked Base of Fire with two Mechs and then worked the flanks with my other pair of Mechs. "Cover" from Treelines was not even something I was overly concerned about.

Now Fire and Manuever is hinged on the availability of Cover. If one side or the other has advantage when it comes to the availability of "Cover" it can easily be a DECISIVE advantage...

...hmm, so much so that the ability to Burn Down Cover would be a great Check and Balance for emerging gameplay under the new Beta!

Yeah, that is a comment, born here in the Diversions thread that is worthy of taking back to the posts original thread! : )

I think most of the changes are pretty stupid, outside Bulwark nerfing (which will make the game MUCH harder, by the way).

Yeah, knockdowns used to be overkill, but the recent nerfing has made them fairly reasonable. I expect that if a mech is battered with a rain of doom and destruction it should eventually fall down, and I think that the current rules make it reasonably hard to pull off, to the point that you need to build your lance around that strategy.

Mobility and cover, however, are REALLY underpowered right now, in part because of hit percentages being too high. Instead of turning sensor lock into a bizarro radar jamming, I´d rather have MUCH more effective evasion, have cover and intervening object seriously affect hit chances (so if I am behind a forested hill, only showing my upper torso, I am much harder to hit), and make sensor lock something you actually need to use if you want to remove evasion pips from fast mediums and lights flanking your lumbering assaults and heavies. I know that will make engagements longer, and lower hitting percentages will be frustrating early on, but long-range snipping with a PPC/LL/AC5 should not have 90%+ hit chances all the frigging time.

Coolant vent sounds actually pretty ludicrous, as well. It might be because I tend to run really cool builds all in all (most of my mechs can alpha four or five times before needing to cycle, and my top-end Atlas can actually alpha 6xLL and 2xLRM5 for 10 turns in a martian environment), but I guess I am a bit of an exception. I can see myself building an insane backstabbing jumping monster around this, but it is a bit of a niche mech.

Also, why not just make Juggernaut a better physical attack? maybe giving a damage bonuses when punching someone after moving (CHAAAARGE), reducing DFA damage (CHAAAARGE) or letting you punch someone after sprinting (CHAAAAAAARGE).

HBS.... Please, please, PLEASE do not add a combat "coolant flush" mechanic to the game. This is NOT supported by the original canon. This was a gimmick that was added later into the Mechwarrior franchise by some third party dev working on Mechwarrior 3 or 4 (I can't remember which). In no way does "shunting coolant" jive with any basic understand of the laws of thermodynamics:

Removing half the water (even when hot) will never decrease heat in a water cooled engine. Same goes for reactors. Same goes for anything that requires coolant in a closed system.
If heat is being shunted into the coolant, rather than passively absorbing and radiating heat as current water cooling systems do, then the coolant could potentially be at a temperature higher than the 'Mech around it (weapons, myomer bundle, etc.). This is, as far as lore is concerned, how heat "sinks" operate; they shunt heat outside the 'Mech. So, that being the case there would be some transfer of heat from the over-temperature coolant into those 'Mech components, and aerosolizing and venting that "over-temperature" coolant would provide an immediate short-term drop in temperature at the cost of hamstringing the overall heat capacity of the 'Mech.

Which strikes me as a much better mechanic for this "Coolant Vent" ability: short-term cooling (perhaps doubling your current heatsink capability, rather than removing all heat outright) at the cost of lowering your overheat threshold for the rest of the mission. That would additionally make the buffs to your overheat threshold in the Guts tree more relevant.

In fact, to take it one step further, how about adding a pilot injury when your 'Mech overheats? Then, rather than Coolant Vent injuring your pilots, it would be a mechanism to avoid pilot injuries in make-or-break situations where you need to take down an enemy but are close to overheating. This would have the additional benefit of making meta-cheese 'Mechs that intentionally overheat themselves, to cool faster than they could with heatsinks, less viable.

Last edited:
Say, Kiva? Can you be sure Coolant Vent's auto injury bypasses the "armor" the Cockpit Mods give you which prevent an injury taken during battle from putting you in the infirmary? Cause I immediately spotted that possible issue. Also, I'm assuming the other abilities not mentioned here didn't get touched. That is to say, Multi-Target, Breaching Shot, Master Tactician, and Ace Pilot.

I ask because some of these . . . feel underwhelming for the investment. Ace Pilot and Master Tactician feel, in the campaign, like they're not nearly as useful as Breaching Shot in many instances. I find Master Tactician is almost always not as useful once you hit the top-end of the weight classes, and is more useful well before you actually should have it - during the earlier game when you want your precious Heavies moving sooner. Ace Pilot is one of those abilities which seems to have a lot of malfunctions when I used it, and overall was ranked in my mind with Multi-Target as "something which probably should have been integral".

Also, fun thing about Sensor Lock - it does remain useful when wanting to absolutely strip Evasion charges when you want to line up an AC/20 or Gauss strike. While you would expect to have some really potent characters at that point, they also tend to gravitate to spending time in the infirmary instead of on the field due to having high Guts. And unless you are really doing the save-scum dance to avoid this? Most of your heavy hitters are likely to eat injuries without Cockpit Mods. (I run almost all my 'Mechs with such now just to avoid this.) Downsides are, of course, ejecting ruins those . . . and I don't get to install any other mods which require the Head slot. Which is a shame because Rangefinders look to be very fun to play with - but not at the cost of the Injury Resist.

I dunno, I haven't had time to really play too much in the last couple months - and I am *definitely* not someone to comment on the competitive play aspect. But from what I've experienced in the campaign play there's really only a third of the abilities which are useful past the middle of the game. And woe to you if you didn't build into them.
When you mention integral, I think back to the Table Top. Honestly, I've always felt that Sensor Lock and Multi target should have been integral to ALL pilots. There's nothing special about either (a separate jamming / ECM skill replacing SL works fine alone if we had Sensor Lock and Multi Target as integrated, everyone abilities).

More permanent evasion would make evasion very useful. Because the AI tends to focus fire a lot, without permanent evasion, a light mech will get reduced to junk metal in moments ... Hell, almost any weight class does. However, with lights it's a glaring weakness when 3-6 mechs / tanks / turrets focus on your evasive light, your evasive chevrons disappear and so does your mech.

Personally, i think all those abilities would be better linked with equipment... and instead, develop pilots based on other things... like heat management, accuracy, piloting, tactics etc etc... sensor lock sounds now like something typically done by ECM equipment, while breaching shot or multitarget is something that should be a function of targeting computer...