• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Regina

Lt. General
5 Badges
Jan 29, 2008
www.paradoxdevelopmentstudio.com
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
A wise game writer once said:
"Crusader Kings II is a majestic feudal sandbox, the greatest generator of hilarious medieval soap opera ever created."

So here is a question for you:
What is your best soap opera moment from Crusader Kings II? :)

cheers,
regina

Ck2_Lovers_entwined_2.png

Don't know if it's my best but it's my latest so, as the byz emperor, I've just maried my bip son to a genius young girl only to remember that she my bastard daughter that wasn't revealed. Charinfo all and sure enough she's my daughter... I unwittingly maried my son to his half-sister. :eek:

PS only one child so far, not an inbread freak.

Two generations of Irish Kings who took their own daughters as lovers. A third generation who took a ten year old as a lover. A son who murdered his father and married his step-mother. A nephew who killed all 4 of his siblings and then got depressed and killed himself.

In CK2 playing as a Muslim I married a woman who I didn't noticed it was a lesbian, after a while every single woman in harem turned into lesbian and ran away with their fellow wife-lovers. Nice was to destroy a poor Sultan's self-esteem.

Reactions:
As the proud Emperor of Britain, Brian loved his beloved wife Matilda. His daughter Princess Joanna murdered her mother, enraged the Emperor knew no other course but to take his daughter as a lover. She gave birth to a son, who when grown murdered his uncle, the heir, and inherited the Empire. And as if that were enough, as a homosexual the new incest-Emperor took his cousin Malcolm, (son of the murdered heir) as a lover.

This family was more entwined than the Habsburgs.

Reactions:
Well there was that time in my Gotland game when I had an affair with my son's wife...
Actually, I think something similar happened in my Sweden game too, but that was such a long time ago its hard to remember.
Also in my Gotland game, I once got murdered, just to have my new character get a message saying that his plot to kill my old character was a success. My family lost the Grand Mayorship because of it, too.

I started the game as a custom Count in Prussia. Married off a few children to the Salians, the Capets and the Piasts. A hundred years later I experience a sudden inheritance fever when the Holy Roman Empire (now based on primogeniture succession due to factions) becomes mine with all of Thüringia and Franconia as my personal demesne, Poland is carved in half with myself inhering most of Pomerania and Pomeralia as well as Danzig. The French... now based on feudal elective also elect my ruler as the new King.

For a moment there I was the greatest ruler in the world. More powerful than even the Roman Empire at its height!...And then my attractive, quick charismatic negotiator heir died and was replaced by my inbred imbecile third cousin whom I got to play as for a glorious three days after my death (which came a week after my sons!) after which my realm imploded.

Five years later I find myself playing as the Prince of Moskva in Russia, with my western realm lost completely and only one province to my name.

Some would complain about that, but to me it was the greatest example on how AWESOME Crusader Kings 2 is.

Reactions:
When I played as the doge of Venice, I fell in love with the daughter of another patrician (my steward).
My wife, her sister, wasn't that happy about it. She (and some other guys) killed my lover.
3 generations later, the exactly same thing happened again, with the same patrician family.
But this time, my lover murdered my wife (oh that irony)!

I wonder why this has been asked. What is this? I am very suspicious.

"Crusader Kings II: Westenders"

Karling style soap DLC incoming.

"Crusader Kings II: Westenders"

Karling style soap DLC incoming.

Perhaps it's here to build up hype for a flavour DLC that'll add more events that don't really have much of an impact on the game, but narrative-wise makes sense and makes for more interesting and immersive story creation.

Worked my way up to the Byzantine Emperor and had comfortably ensured the succession and stabilized the realm(playing CK2plus). Then something unprecedented happens. The heir get's gonorrhea from somewhere, and after the current emperor dies He's scrambling to get a new heir, he succeeds to have two boys but they both die in their infancy because of the constant wars which always manage to spread some disease to Constantinople. So the years go by and after chaning your wife for a few times to a young 16 year old, the Emperor is completely infertile. So now the only way to have a good heir is to start culling your own dynasty. So the Emperor starts to kidnap every imbecile and indbred in the line to the throne and blinds everyone of them, some of these people start to organize expeditions against him so he has to murder the poor blind heirs. This goes on for about 10 years untill a competent 72 year old man with a good son is decided to be good enough for the throne. In the end, more than half of the dynasty was blind, and everyone of them had been kidnapped. It was kinda absurd, could happen in a brutal soap opera.

Every Karen game played.

I was an underage King of Jerusalem and my sister and heir came of age, so I married her off to our first cousin and kinsman the King of France so that if I died at least our two thrones would be united. As soon as she arrived, our aunt the Dowager Queen of France immediately started a plot to kill my sister and was joined the French King. Neither would abandon the plot, even when she became pregnant with the future King of France. I don't know what they were hoping to acomplish, but I eventually was able to foil them when I tricked my aunt into returning to Jerusalem after two decades in France.

I've had a couple:

Probably my favorite one, I began at the 867 start date as a count within the Duchy of Champagne. I established a close two hundred year relationship with the Frankish Karlings until around 1025, a 6 year old Beatrice Karling found herself on the throne. Being that my wife had been a French Princess to a previous king, my son inherited her claim upon her death. So when Beatrice was deposed by her wicked uncle, after a few years of oppression, I arranged for my son to marry the deposed Queen Beatrice. Being that she was now broken, disinherited, and not even 16, she agreed to a regular betrothal and married my son at 16. At that moment I declared war on the new king for my son's claim to the throne. In addition, all of Beatrice's ex-vassals who had been treated poorly by the new King (nearly everyone) joined my cause. After a bloody civil war, I took the throne for my son (I think his name was Charles). After nearly 200 years, France had been purged of Karling rulership and now my house was the new royal house, outmaneuvering the Capets and the Poitous. King Charles (I think the V) and Queen Beatrice then ruled in peace for several years. They had a family. Charles' heir, Jason, was the finest marshal in the entire realm. His martial rating was about 27 and Charles was filled with pride to have his oldest son lead the French armies into battle. After about 30 years on the throne, the Ummayad Caliphate declared an invasion of Aquitaine. With half his realm under attack from heathens, King Charles dispatched his son Jason to lead the vanguard into Barcelona to meet his enemies. France could not hope to beat back this invasion on their own and in a desperate plea for help, the King called upon his Christian contemporaries, the King of England, the Kaiser, the Pope, the King of Alba (a united Scotland and Ireland under Irish rule). All of them answered the call and we had a mega war on our hands. One of the turning moments of the war happened when Jason, Prince of France and heir to the throne, at this point 27 years old was killed in personal combat by Caliph Danyal. King Charles was filled with rage and marched south to relieve his armies. The tide began to turn for the Christian nations as Charles captured and beheaded several Muslim generals and soldiers. Pushing the war score up toward 65%, the final blow was delivered when Caliph Danyal's son (though not his heir) was slain in battle against the King. After his son's death, the Caliph proposed his own terms of surrender, and Charles' kingdom was saved, but at great personal loss. After his trek back to Paris, I had noticed that the king had gained two new traits, depressed and drunkard. The King was now a broken man. Although he had 2 other sons, Jason was his favorite. His oldest, the fiercest warrior and a great general. Before his death, Jason had a family, including a young son, Charles. King Charles took his namesake under his wing. I would imagine those lessons would have gone something like this: Young Charles sits cross legged on a round tapestry listening intently while King Charles, bottle of wine in hand and tears in eye, regales him with tales of Young Charles' father, the would be king, filling the child's head with notions of heroism, courage, bravery, and chivalry. King Charles died of depression 9 years after his son's death, having never overcome the grief of losing him, and so his grandson Young Charles inherited the throne in an attempt to live up to the legend of his father.

Reactions:
This was a while ago.

I was a Welsh Duke, well on my way to becoming King of Wales. I'm getting old, and I haven't managed to father a son, so my useless half-brother is my heir. Plenty of daughters, but no sons. Clearly, something is wrong with the wife. So when I get an opportunity to start an affair with my useless half-brother's wife, I jump at the chance. I quickly get my mistress pregnant. My half-brother finds out about the affair and starts plotting to kill me. My wife, who's also my spymaster, finds out about the plot, but not necessarily about why he wants me dead.

I try to lock my useless, murderous half-brother up, both to preserve my head and to secure my mistress, but he dodges capture and flees to the east. His wife doesn't go with him. She gives birth to a son (a son!) who I promptly legitimize as my own and as heir to the throne. My wife, the spymaster who has served me faithfully all these years, finally puts two and two together, quits, and retires to a nunnery.

Reactions:
In one of my first games, I found my 10 year old king of Wales under regency. I had him tutored by the best candidate I could find, the second wife of his father, a 17 year old Georgian princess. It must have been quite the endearing education. Not only did she convert him to Orthodoxy, but she promptly put the moves on him once he came of age. Though married, the young king was having a secret affair with his stepmother/tutor/spiritual advisor. Soon she was the proud mother of an illegitimate son. Oh the scandal!

Reactions:
It isn't particularly salacious or grand drama, but I've always appreciated the story of King Dùghall I 'The Holy' of Scotland and Germany and his wife, Muireall, with whom he enjoyed a long and happy marriage.

Dùghall mac Uilleam's father had been made Duke of York following victory for the North in the Scottish-Yorkish Wars with Queen Björg, but Duke Uilleam had died when Dùghall was in his minority and Lleuca Aberffraw (Björg’s daughter) had forced her claim and driven the young lord from his title and lands. But, when they fled, the family took Dùghall not to the court of Scotland but to Asturias in Hispania.

He reached his majority in Asturias still firmly Scottish in his manner, which was considered a blessing as the lords of the family and realm had elevated him as Tanist of Scotland and Germany. But he steadfastly refused all invitation extended by King Ruairidh to return to court in Scotland. On his own merits, he rose in the court at Asturias, achieving a position on the Council as Steward.

Despite his personal success and advancement, he did not marry. King Ruairidh extended a couple of options - noble Scottish ladies of his court, but Dùghall would not accept. The family was large enough that Dùghall failing to have children was not much of a concern, but it would still have caused some consternation as the future head of the dynasty. Despite being a bit of a black sheep for staying away and remaining unwed the realm remain determined that Dùghall would be the next king.

Dùghall relocated from Asturias to Nantes, where he again was given a seat on the council as Steward. Ruairidh tried one last time and extended the hand of Muireall, a Scottish (though lowborn) lass.

This matrimonially proposal brought no small amount of gossip to the court. Muireall had born Ruairidh a bastard son, Aonghas, which he had formally recognized. Ruairidh was probably trying to get her away from the court as much as anything else when he offered her to Dùghall. It was seen as anl insult by those at court towards Dùghall, and perhaps a way to limit his favor with those voting for the Tanist.

To everyone’s surprise, Dùghall accepted - the future king took to wife the cast aside lover of the current king. The entire court was abuzz.

Dùghall probably realized at last that his position was going to bring additional responsibilities into his life, and a wife would only benefit his long term role. Un-phased by Muireall’s past, he not only took her as wife he would eventually take young Aonghas as his ward and name him a Duke of the realm. (Even so, he continued to live in Nantes until Ruairidh’s passing, never having set foot in Scotland until his coronation.)