• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed they do, but none of us have the skill to fix Luca0213's old custom portraits or make any ourselves.

Yeah, we need a gfx guru. In honesty, I would like someone to make a custom gfx set for Roman paganism as well as make new portraits. Everything seems ever so slightly out of place.

Would love to see Lux Invicta's clothing, armor and general portrait stuff implemented into this mod, would look awesome! I want ma togas for ma senators! :p haha

Would love to see Lux Invicta's clothing, armor and general portrait stuff implemented into this mod, would look awesome! I want ma togas for ma senators! :p haha

I can probably contact Lux Invitica about that, yes. Romans should definitely look properly Roman. In honesty, Celts should themselves look fairly haggard and informal, especially if they're not kings. I never imagined anyone in the novels as being remotely sharply dressed unless Cornwell specifically described them as so (such as Arthur, or the people of Gwent).

That would be very cool, I know that the Eastern Romans in LI also have some really cool looking Late Roman gear and there's a whole lot of Viking stuff one could use for the Saxons etc.

Was also just wondering if anything is going to be done about the CoA's... as in the ones that are used already by characters in game on startup... I've noticed that allot of them are out of line with the CoA UI and a good half of them are just random coloured lines and distorted images.

That would be very cool, I know that the Eastern Romans in LI also have some really cool looking Late Roman gear and there's a whole lot of Viking stuff one could use for the Saxons etc.

Was also just wondering if anything is going to be done about the CoA's... as in the ones that are used already by characters in game on startup... I've noticed that allot of them are out of line with the CoA UI and a good half of them are just random coloured lines and distorted images.

It's a colour palette bug from several patches ago. I'd like someone to rebuild the whole thing and give custom CoAs to big dynasties, in honesty. Again, we need a gfx guru to at least consult with us on what to do.

To go into more depth on the CoA issue, there was a colour code that was forbidden around the time of SoA. The mod would not boot up until it was removed from the palette. What I had to do was replace that colour with a dummy colour, which apparently shifted every colour along the numbered list by one. The effect of this was that CoAs that are cut into halves, thirds or quarters (and thus have a distinct colour for each) often had colours that didn't match up, because their numbered colours were no longer aligned. A CoA that had red as part of its design continued to have red in one quarter, but ended up having black in another, for instance. The fix would effectively entail isolating where the offending code is and pulling it out. I do not know how to do this.

Last edited:
It's a colour palette bug from several patches ago. I'd like someone to rebuild the whole thing and give custom CoAs to big dynasties, in honesty. Again, we need a gfx guru to at least consult with us on what to do.

To go into more depth on the CoA issue, there was a colour code that was forbidden around the time of SoA. The mod would not boot up until it was removed from the palette. What I had to do was replace that colour with a dummy colour, which apparently shifted every colour along the numbered list by one. The effect of this was that CoAs that are cut into halves, thirds or quarters (and thus have a distinct colour for each) often had colours that didn't match up, because their numbered colours were no longer aligned. A CoA that had red as part of its design continued to have red in one quarter, but ended up having black in another, for instance. The fix would effectively entail isolating where the offending code is and pulling it out. I do not know how to do this.

I see, fair enough! Well best of luck! Wish I could help somehow but my nodding skills are rudimentary at best :S

I sort of worked out how to fiddle with portraits earlier, so I got to mixing the celtic and western sets with each other and the results seemed interesting. Need to fix whatever is wrong with middleaged and change the hair pieces and colours but it seems functioning, at least.

2014-09-09_00002.jpg2014-09-09_00003.jpg2014-09-09_00004.jpg2014-09-09_00005.jpg2014-09-09_00006.jpg2014-09-09_00007.jpg

Thoughts?

I think Saxons should be ethnically something other than Celtic. If we could take the Norse set but make them overwhelmingly blonde with different beards, that might do it. It does say in the books that Derfel's Saxon appearance is VERY distinctive from the rest of Dumnonia.

I would agree with that interpretation sans the Nordic template; the default western template with a mixture of Nordic and Celtic hair and beards would probably do well representing them. Unless you were planning on splitting the Anglo-Saxon culture in Angles, Saxons and Jutes with the potential for a melting pot over the period of gameplay; in which case the latter would be better represented by mixing Western/Nordic templates.

I would agree with that interpretation sans the Nordic template; the default western template with a mixture of Nordic and Celtic hair and beards would probably do well representing them. Unless you were planning on splitting the Anglo-Saxon culture in Angles, Saxons and Jutes with the potential for a melting pot over the period of gameplay; in which case the latter would be better represented by mixing Western/Nordic templates.

It would be my intent to split them. Cerdic (a Jute) is one person who definitely should look like a crazy viking. I imagined Aelle as looking far more continental. They definitely are described as very blonde though.

It would be my intent to split them. Cerdic (a Jute) is one person who definitely should look like a crazy viking. I imagined Aelle as looking far more continental. They definitely are described as very blonde though.

Aha, awesome. I look forward to seeing what you come up with portrait-wise for them. So far as the prominence of blonde and fair hair amongst the northern Germanic peoples aye, definitely; the Norse hair palette has some nice shades for that.

As an added note will the map be changing in future releases to include more regions and settlements, or will it be staying as is?

Anglo-SaxonThegn.jpg

Attachments

• Anglo-SaxonThegn.jpg
    Anglo-SaxonThegn.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 8
The current density of settlements seems to work in the main part of the map to be honest with you. Keeping the provinces low allows the mod to be a laptop friendly version of the main game.

Long term plans are to create a new map encompassing ALL of the lands that Charlemagne conquered, I think we had a few pictures of possible maps towards the start of this thread...

The current density of settlements seems to work in the main part of the map to be honest with you. Keeping the provinces low allows the mod to be a laptop friendly version of the main game.

It certainly does. My laptop struggles to run the base game (and even more so whenever I try to run HIP), but it's never had any issues with Winter King. Still, was worth asking. c:

Long term plans are to create a new map encompassing ALL of the lands that Charlemagne conquered, I think we had a few pictures of possible maps towards the start of this thread...

Indeed, but that's really long term...

So, southward into southern France/northern Spain and eastward into northern/central/southern Germany and northern Italy? That would be interesting, though if as Ols said the main focus is to keep the hardware strain as much as possible then that might even be an interesting side-project to run alongside WK.

It certainly does. My laptop struggles to run the base game (and even more so whenever I try to run HIP), but it's never had any issues with Winter King. Still, was worth asking. c:

So, southward into southern France/northern Spain and eastward into northern/central/southern Germany and northern Italy? That would be interesting, though if as Ols said the main focus is to keep the hardware strain as much as possible then that might even be an interesting side-project to run alongside WK.

Well, as you've said, performance has never been an issue with the rather small scale of the mod (in fact my computer makes weird noises when I run it at speed 5 for a little bit, which it never does for CK2 or anything else...). Yeah, the first thing would probably to have all of Gaul (possibly in tandem with Wars of the Roses, which actually uses Luca0312's terrain map IIRC), and then eastward into Germany, then probably Italy and possibly parts of NE Iberia.

My preference would actually to include all the lands Charles Martel and Pepin the Short conquered, but not feel constrained to include all of Charlemagne's conquests. Going beyond the Alps and Pyrenees would be a pain. The main focus should really be Merovingian and Pippinid rather than Carolingian - that's vanilla's focus. We also need to think about what is appropriate for the core game in Britain.

Hey guys, I saw that the positions were a bit off so i fiddled around with nudge and fixed them up.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8ik9bfr4a7nl4ix/positions.txt

Nice work, looks legit ;)

Just a few notes though, Mides capital should be at the Hill of Tara, Ailech should be at Grianan of Aileach, Tethbae should be at Hill of Uisneach and Louth/Lu/Lughbhaidh should be at Dundalk.

I didn't say before, but cheers for doing the positions :) Nudge doesn't work on Macs, neither does any of the modding tools either. I need a PC really if I'm going to be able to mod properly, although mapping is easy enough thanks to Photoshop.

On another note, Wester Rois isn't right looking at maps for kicks :confused:

Hi, Haven't played this mod in ages but I had a lot of fun with it in the past. One question I have is does the Kingdom of Ireland now have a similar High King mechanic as britannia and aengland? It always used to annoy me that the irish ended up so united while the britons and saxon kingdoms kept collapsing.