• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(172974)

Private
4 Badges
Oct 12, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
So a friend of mine gave me his copy of Europa Universalis 3 with NA and IN. I install it on my Windows XP bootcamp partition, on my macbook. I patched to 3.1 and launch, only to discover a very strange graphical error on the country selection screen - only the borders between countries were visible, you couldn't see individual states nor was there any delineation between the sea and continents. The end result is that the country selection screen looks like there's a mass of white veins splayed across it. The same case applies for the actual game. It's totally unplayable.

Loving EUIII as much as I do, and installing it 3 times to no avail, I decided to wipe my partition and install windows 7. I did that tonight, reinstalled EUIII, and the same problem occurred. I have no idea why. Could it be my set up?

Specs: White Apple Macbook

PROCESSOR: Dual Core 2.16 GHz (Intel)

MEMORY: 2 sticks of 1 gig ram

GRAPHICS:
Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

---

Do I have a bad setup? I'm considering just buying it for my OS X partition, but if I'm only going to get the same results, forget it =(

Some Intel graphic cards support pixel shader 2.0 only parially resulting to this infamous blue map syndrome.

It's actually Intels fault and there ain't much what Paradox can do.

As the other's have said it won't run without a real graphics card :)
My brother tried running eu3 on the exact same setup as you have and we never got that to work, he had to return the game in the end.

Even if you have the registration codes (you said you got the game from a friend?). I'd advice against registering as you'll probably want to return the game anyway (for some reason it's impossible to "un-register" a game so you'd be ruining some other person's chances of getting registered, quite a silly system).

I did some googling and I found this link in the signature of a guy named Strannik on these forums:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385680

I can't access it though, I think it's only for people with registered EU3 games. Which is a shame, because it claims to be a work-a-round for the blue map syndrome, using something called swiftshader.

EDIT: I discovered this topic, which I believe contains the fix in question:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385681

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support political map view, which kinda ruins the game for me =(

Last edited:
The native Mac version, from Virtual Programming? No, that will not have this problem.

i am just curious here for i am having the same problem kind of here...my map looks as he describes above but ONLY when i am trying to play ANY mod at all for some reason :-( that and at the same time when i get to the first screen to set up the game where you can pick the year and country to start with, no matter what year i pick it only says 1 AD at the top of the screen the year will not change. then when i go into the game if i continue it gives me the white vein map. like i said though i have no problem playing as long as it is not a mod. i am completely updated to the nov 11 beta patch and run vista on a 2.2 GH pc

i am just curious here for i am having the same problem kind of here...my map looks as he describes above but ONLY when i am trying to play ANY mod at all for some reason :-( that and at the same time when i get to the first screen to set up the game where you can pick the year and country to start with, no matter what year i pick it only says 1 AD at the top of the screen the year will not change. then when i go into the game if i continue it gives me the white vein map. like i said though i have no problem playing as long as it is not a mod. i am completely updated to the nov 11 beta patch and run vista on a 2.2 GH pc

The date 1 AD problem is because the last 3.2 beta changed the defines.txt file date format. So the mods copy of defines.txt needs to be updated for the new date format. Open the defines.txt file in the mod's common directory with notepad and replace:

Code:
start_date = {
	year=1399
	month=9
	day=13
}

end_date = {
	year=1821
	month=1
	day=1
}

with this: