Waking the Tiger is LIVE! Release thread and FAQ here!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bus

Product Marketing Manager
Paradox Staff
Oct 9, 2017
Paradox Pressrelease banner.png

War on All Fronts! Waking the Tiger Now Available!

Major Hearts of Iron IV expansion launches today

Are you ready to beat back the imperialist aggression of the world’s bullies? We are happy to announce the release of Waking the Tiger, an expansion to Hearts of Iron IV that makes major improvements to many aspects of the game, while drawing players’ attention to the Chinese Front.

The Chinese Republic is barely 25 years old and has still not found the unity it seeks. But now, pressed by Japan, China’s factions might find in war the common cause that eluded them in peace. New leaders and focus trees for Nationalist China, Communist China, the warlord states and the Japanese vassals add more depth and history to one of history’s forgotten fronts.

Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger includes:

• Chinese National Focuses: Divided and under threat, China has great reserves of manpower and diplomatic flexibility
  • Chain of Command: Unite your armies under a field marshal who can take advantage of the many skills of the generals under his direction.
  • Decisions and Missions: Historical decisions and national missions give you new places to spend Political Power, as you deal with domestic politics or start special projects.
  • Commanders’ Traits and Abilities: Commanders’’ traits can now unlock powerful Command Power abilities, allowing great flexibility and creativity.
  • Updated Axis Focus Trees: Alternate historical paths for the German Reich and Imperial Japan, including parliamentary rule in Japan and the return of the Kaiser to Germany.
  • Acclimatization: Over time, troops will learn how to survive in the desert or harsh winters, giving these veterans an edge on the battlefield.
  • And More: Capturing battlefield equipment, and a revitalized air war system that has room for Volunteer air wings.
As usual, the expansion will be released alongside a major game update, 1.5 Cornflakes, freely available to all Hearts of Iron IV players. Read more about Cornflakes here.

Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger is available now for a suggested retail price of $19.99, get it here.

When is the Expansion released?
15:00 CET Today!

How much does it cost?
$19.99

Where can I buy it?
It’s available through Paradox Plaza, Steam, and other major outlets.

Is there a non-Steam version?
No. You will receive a Steam key/require Steam no matter where you buy your copy of the game.

Does Paradox get more money if I buy through Paradoxplaza?
Yes.

Is there a free patch coming out alongside it?
Of course! Read more about it here.

I've found a bug, where do I report it?
In our bug report forum. Please read the instructions on how to report a bug before proceeding. You need to be logged in, own the game on Steam and sync your Paradox Account with your Steam Account to gain access.

I have a suggestion how to improve the game!
Please post in our suggestion forum. Make sure you keep your suggestions focused. One thread with multiple very different suggestions doesn't make for a good suggestion. The more focused one discussion is, the easier it is for us to take in the information. And don't forget to check others suggestions. Maybe someone already suggested what you are about to write. Use the "I agree" button to show support for good suggestions.

Last but not least:
If you have any problems with a purchase from the webshop at Paradoxplaza please get in touch here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/support

I'm not the only one thinking that the Decisions system and a better politic/diplomacy with detailed espionage could replace the old-outdated National Focus system?

I mean lets face it, if we move National focuses to a decision system and a better politics/diplomacy system, you could have loads of choices you could make. What I want to say is that with national focus you can have only from 1 to 3 choices to make, but with my suggestion you could have like 10+ choices and decisions to make, which will stimulate the game even more.

I’m gonna play it as soon as I get home.

I hope this time I can finally have a truly historical campaign without Uk landing in Tuscany or Italy going all in for Yugoslavia.

Time to trample all under the heels of the glorious Dai Nippon Teikoku! Tennoheika Banzai!

I'm not the only one thinking that the Decisions system and a better politic/diplomacy with detailed espionage could replace the old-outdated National Focus system?

I mean lets face it, if we move National focuses to a decision system and a better politics/diplomacy system, you could have loads of choices you could make. What I want to say is that with national focus you can have only from 1 to 3 choices to make, but with my suggestion you could have like 10+ choices and decisions to make, which will stimulate the game even more.

Focus are very good for long term planning and seeing what are your options. Events and decisions sometimes get hidden and you can only fully use then in a second playtru. All of them are tools for different uses, in my opinion.

Mao has the "politically connected" trait which lowers promotion cost by 50%. Given that starting as a field marshal Mao can't get promoted, this trait is moot (save for the 10% xp penalty). Feels like a wasted trait and might be better replaced by something else, no?

Focus are very good for long term planning and seeing what are your options. Events and decisions sometimes get hidden and you can only fully use then in a second playtru. All of them are tools for different uses, in my opinion.

Well, atleast make National focuses more flexible. What if for example I want to demand sudenteland before going for anshluss of austria?

giphy.gif

Japanese workers have waited too long, March 8 will be written in golden letters as the day when Japanese workers created a glorious communist state and went on to liberate the Asia from the clutches of evil colonial oppressors. :p

Wait is my history book wrong?

I have "Waking the Tiger" since 30 Minutes now, and it is impossible to start the game !
It's extremly laggy now, can't change the options slider to Change the individual strength of the Majors,
it I do, I have to wait minutes for a Change and than it's changing also my starting Country Germany to Greek or something.

I'm playing HOI since the first release and I'm really upset !
Do you ever test your release on different Systems ?

I will never ever buy anything from Paradox again at the first release, now I know that I have to wait for the first patch.
Thanks for nothing !

Edit: Everything fixed and working now after complete new start of the Computer, sorry

Last edited:
Japanese workers have waited too long, March 8 will be written in golden letters as the day when Japanese workers created a glorious communist state and went on to liberate the Asia from the clutches of evil colonial oppressors. :p

Wait is my history book wrong?
Sounds about right to me.

Hello. I'm creating a mode that changes the picture of all world leaders.However, after purchasing the walking tiger, I had a problem.
from the previous version of 1.10 to 1.42, all characters were normally changed in the steam creation court, but only adolf Hitler could not change photos after this update.
We looked for changes in the dlc compression file and the game file, but we couldn't figure out what had changed.

What the hell happened to Hitler's picture? Is it a bug?