• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post-Bruxelles Europe

While the Soviet phase of the Third Weltkrieg still raged in Scandinavia and central Asia, western and central Europe were now at peace after what French propaganda was calling the Fourth Franco-Prussian War and the signing of the Treaty of Bruxelles.

This was a time in Europe characterised by reconstruction and massive population movements.

Austria was perhaps the biggest single winner of the war. The Austrian Empire had been expanded greatly while the lands of the empire had remained untouched and a previously declining industry had been revitalised by the wartime boost in demand. Austria was strong, confident and already looking forward to a potential future where the autonomous nations of the empire could be unified into a single state.

Emperor Otto of Austria emerged from the war having gained the royal crowns of Saxony, Wurttemberg and Bavaria, and the ducal crowns of Hesse and Baden.

Italy, Spain, England, Poland and other European nations which had not seen the war come to their soil had similarly come through relatively unscathed.

France, meanwhile, had gained the most on paper, but in practice had now been twice devastated by war in a generation and the same could be said for Flanders, Wallonia, the Rhineland and the rest of its puppet states in central Europe. It also faced potentially restless subjects in many places as well as a vast African empire to maintain control over.

And in former Germany matters were even worse. Refugees abounded, industry had been reduced to ruins and famine and disease stalked the land.

For food, much of Europe was forced to turn to food imported from the United States of America, stimulating a post-civil war economic recovery for America in the process. However, since all food imports had to come through the channel ports, it was France which was able to control the flow of food, ensuring that its own citizens and favoured puppets benefited first. The rest of central and western Europe, especially Prussia, was forced to rely on famine relief by the International Red Cross (which imported food via the Netherlands) and Poland.

German refugees at a Red Cross feeding station.

Access to food imports, the spoils of war and the forced labour of hundreds of thousands of German POWs meant that French reconstruction was already complete by the time of the Treaty of Bruxelles. Any remaining political resistance from syndicalism in France itself had been crushed by the carefully stoked flames of national pride and dissenters were now easily dealt with through imprisonment, execution or deportation to French Africa.

But in Luxembourg, Alsace-Lorraine and the Sarre Basin (as the French called it) it faced the problems of large numbers of Germans in what was nominally French territory. It therefore embarked upon a massive programme of Francisation in these regions. Street and town names were changed. French became the only language of education, government and the media. And, crucially, anyone who could not speak, or refused to speak, fluent French was denied citizenship and offered a hefty resettlement grant if they agreed to emigrate to Croatia (where Austria was hoping to create a German ethnic majority through settlement). A few years later tens of thousands of Germans would be expelled from the regions altogether.

A lesser policy of Francisation was indirectly imposed in the Rhenish Protectorate, especially on the west bank of the Rhine. A customs union with France, the arrival of French companies, French media influence and the introduction of the Rhenish Franc, which was pegged at parity to the French Franc, were all designed to bind it economically with France while the French language friendly elements of the Rhenish constitution had the aim of gradually creating a French speaking population who could ultimately be absorbed into France. Once again, a programme of resettlement grants was introduced - though in this case it was presented as advertisements to emigrate to Africa where generous settlement grants and free land awaited (the French government took the view that, regardless of their origins, the white population in Africa would always unite with each other in the face of the large black majority).

The cover page of the German language version of the 1955 constitution of the Protectorat de Rhin/Rheinprotektorat which put executive power in the hands of a Directoire/Direktor elected by a French appointed council of notables.

But the French weren’t the only ones promoting resettlement programmes. The USA was appealing for immigrants, especially skilled labourers, doctors, scientists and engineers, to help fuel its economic recovery, Austria was offering payments to any German family who wished to settle in Croatia or Bohemia and even Denmark-Holstein was able to offer small amounts of financial assistance to any Norwegians, Swedes or Finns who wished to flee the war between Canada and the Soviets.

Additionally an accord between Austria and France meant that as surviving German POWs were released they would be offered the choice of their backpay in devalued Marks and being repatriated to Prussia or, alternatively, substantial cash sums in Francs or Schillings if they chose to emigrate to the Austrian Empire or Africa instead.

Given that Prussia was swamped with refugees (most of whom were forbidden to return home to other parts of Germany by the victors of the war), wracked by famine and suffering the economic malaise of hyperinflation to such an extent that the zloty was being illegally used as the de facto currency, very few POWs were willing to choose it and many opted for Austria and Africa instead, usually bringing their families with them. Indeed, aside from Polish funded projects in Berlin and Koenigsberg which focused mainly on housing with very little industrial reconstruction, very little effective reconstruction would take place in Prussia until the beginning of the sixties and economic instability and housing shortages would continue into the seventies.

So-called ‘wolfskinder’ war orphans were a common site in the streets and countryside of Prussia. With the Prussian state unable to afford to help them most were forced into scavenging, drudgery and stealing to survive. The luckiest found themselves adopted or reunited with family members but many thousands starved to death or worse in this period.

All of this had a profound effect on the demographics of Europe. In Prussia refugees significantly increased the population but infant mortality would remain incredibly high for a decade while in the rest of Germany the absence of war refugees and increased rates of immigration to Africa, America and Austria led to a significant population drop. Only Denmark-Holstein would see a population increase thanks to the Soviet War and these refugees and immigrants would be what solidified the Nordic majority in the new state.

Further south in the Balkans a new order had emerged as Bulgarian victory over the Belgrade Pact had ended Serbian and Romanian revanchism and reducing the defeated to the status of quasi-states under Bulgarian hegemony. Faced with the threat of the ‘Red Menace’ to the east, Bulgaria and its satellites were now drawing closer to Hungary for mutual economic benefit and military security.

Left: Regent of Hungary, Admiral Miklós Horthy. Right: Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria. The two men would come to develop a strong working relationship in the face of the Soviet threat.

The long term consequences of this period had a profound impact on Europe which lingers to this day. From the Greater Austrian Federation to pan-Germanic terrorism to the Constanta Pact, many key features of the face of Europe today can trace their foundations to the post-Bruxelles era.

Last edited:
Incidentally, if anyone goes back to look at Occupied Britain - Part II you'll notice a subtle retcon regarding Elizabeth Windsor...

That tale of Germany had me shivering, even though it's 30°C in our living room. Kudos for making the epilogue to your marvelous AAR such a beauty, even if it is a terrible kind of beauty.

This isn't the epilogue - just a text heavy update. There's going to be one more like this and then we'll be back to gameplay action :)

But thanks very much - what's incredibly sad is how much of this was pretty much a straight copy of what happened IOTL. Though without Marshall Aid and two wars in a generation things are obviously much worse.

Last edited:
The French shouldn't get too comfortable, though. They'really on the top now, having their time of glory, maybe 20-30 years, but unless they mellow a lot in that time, their downfall will come, too. France is not a huge country, and trying to rule Europe and Africa by forcing everyone to speak French is not going to work out for them.

The French shouldn't get too comfortable, though. They'really on the top now, having their time of glory, maybe 20-30 years, but unless they mellow a lot in that time, their downfall will come, too. France is not a huge country, and trying to rule Europe and Africa by forcing everyone to speak French is not going to work out for them.

You're spot on there. I intend to continue this AAR beyond the end of gameplay in updates which cover much greater periods of time to give a sense of how the world of the Third Empire looks like closer to our time and then I'll draw it to a close. So all these long term issues will very much come to the fore later on.

Reactions:
You're spot on there. I intend to continue this AAR beyond the end of gameplay in updates which cover much greater periods of time to give a sense of how the world of the Third Empire looks like closer to our time and then I'll draw it to a close. So all these long term issues will very much come to the fore later on.
Thar's wonderful.:) Less wonderful is the tragic fate of Europe.:(

Another great update.

As tragic as the fate of Europe. I can only begin to imagine what has happened to Siberia and Central Asia under Sternberg.

Given the shape of this world I doubt life in either Ming China or the Bharitya commune is going to be terribly pleasant either.

That Prussia looks like a straight copy of OTLs Weimar Republic.

I wonder if any Nazis will show up...

May God be with Prussia in these dark times...

;_____________;

(Also, isn't the 70's way too far out for a return to relative normalcy? At this rate, the massive population increase Prussia now has will simply not matter because of the mortality rate. I would at least pare down the famine and disease to the late 50s at most. Sure, their economic boom could be delayed by years or even a decade, but masses simply dying for decades? I don't think the world would sit idly by and let them all die en masse, assuming Prussia doesn't even build itself back. Especially nations wary of France, I would think would help. France would very much not hold favorable world opinion through all this, no matter how much the propaganda machine works overtime.)

(Also, is Prussia's stats ingame getting a boost from all this? Especially their manpower numbers?)

(Also, isn't the 70's way too far out for a return to relative normalcy? At this rate, the massive population increase Prussia now has will simply not matter because of the mortality rate. I would at least pare down the famine and disease to the late 50s at most. Sure, their economic boom could be delayed by years or even a decade, but masses simply dying for decades? I don't think the world would sit idly by and let them all die en masse, assuming Prussia doesn't even build itself back. Especially nations wary of France, I would think would help. France would very much not hold favorable world opinion through all this, no matter how much the propaganda machine works overtime.)

(Also, is Prussia's stats ingame getting a boost from all this? Especially their manpower numbers?)

In terms of infant mortality rates things will be back to normal by the start of the sixties. In terms of housing shortages and economic instability (the post-war Prussian debt-to-GDP ratio would make Greece look like a beacon of prosperity) things will be over very early in the sixties. I think with two of the major cities being nuked, the only major port being taken over by Poland, massive numbers of refugees, huge debts and a worthless currency then fifteen years until all the damage is repaired seems reasonable (Britain took ten years to recover OTL and they won). But Prussia of, say, 1965 will be very different to Prussia of 1955 as the problems in 1965 will be building enough houses, unemployment, very sluggish growth and spikes in inflation while in 1955 they'll be hyperinflation, refugee camps, industry lying in ruins and famine.

Of course when Prussia does start to get back to normal its increased population and devalued currency will lead to an industrial boom and its politics certainly won't be well disposed to France. Whether it goes syndicalist or nationalist, however, is something that an event will have to decide.

So far Prussia hasn't had a boost other than some IC and infrastructure in Berlin and Koenigsberg to represent limited reconstruction. It will get a boost by event in a few years though when I get round to writing the event :)

In terms of infant mortality rates things will be back to normal by the start of the sixties. In terms of housing shortages and economic instability (the post-war Prussian debt-to-GDP ratio would make Greece look like a beacon of prosperity) things will be over very early in the sixties. I think with two of the major cities being nuked, the only major port being taken over by Poland, massive numbers of refugees, huge debts and a worthless currency then fifteen years until all the damage is repaired seems reasonable (Britain took ten years to recover OTL and they won). But Prussia of, say, 1965 will be very different to Prussia of 1955 as the problems in 1965 will be building enough houses, unemployment, very sluggish growth and spikes in inflation while in 1955 they'll be hyperinflation, refugee camps, industry lying in ruins and famine.

I expect foreign remittances to be a sizable chunk of Prussia's economy for the next decade, both in terms of Poland and the Prussian's lucky enough to immigrate abroad. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe see's a system similar to Yugoslav, Turkish, and Greek guest workers of the 50's and 60's. I would imagine that the true radicalism will be funded by the Prussian's farther abroad though, Diasporas have a tendency to fund and sustain conflict.

How is Canada doing with its Russian expedition? With the ongoing conflict and the worsening of Canadian/French relations I would suspect they would be somewhat cut off from Europe for the post-war recovery.

Let's see how long the French can keep their conglomerate of unruly dominions together.

I'm sure Otto is glad to have more Germans in his little Empire.

Nice grim dark dark setting you have there.Pangermanic terrorist attacks,Prussia crushed and Austria rising.
I guess we will not see Franco-Soviet war,but I guess there have been enough wars,I doubt the French would like to bleed and risk their new hegemony invading Russia,Napoleon I lost the war there after all....
Still what are the chances Prussia goes Syndicalist/Nazi and joins up with the Soviets?I think they would be angry if they are starving....

Prussia is more than welcome to join the Soviets. There just might not be much of a Prussia afterwards.

Of course when Prussia does start to get back to normal its increased population and devalued currency will lead to an industrial boom and its politics certainly won't be well disposed to France. Whether it goes syndicalist or nationalist, however, is something that an event will have to decide.

So far Prussia hasn't had a boost other than some IC and infrastructure in Berlin and Koenigsberg to represent limited reconstruction. It will get a boost by event in a few years though when I get round to writing the event :)

You do make a good point, but I mean contrawise, in OTL, the 60s was the time of a radical boom for both Germany and Japan, which were totally destroyed by the victors. So why not split the difference on this? Say by 1965, housing would still be a problem, but don't think the rampant unemployment would still be. Why not have them having the problems of a massive industrial boom? Lack of housing, lack of labor (in this already swelled successor state, they still need more), never enough time, too much to do with not enough time to do it, needing just more of everything! Especially since they need to rebuild EVERYTHING.

And who says Syndicalist or nationalist? Being a democratic republic can be perfectly suited to revenge as well. :)

Propping up Austria might backfire eventually. To Sacrifice so much to defeat the German Empire only to have it Rise again like a Phoenix this time wearing a Hapsburg crown would be quite a scary concept.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.