• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GLENN

Second Lieutenant
17 Badges
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
Here's a consolidation of what forum member have discovered plus some addtional observations.

Any feedback is appreciated. I will update document.

Updated again.
Rev D is latest.

Attachments

• Paradox Rome Guide Rev A.doc
    1,9 MB · Views: 4.519
  • Paradox Rome Guide Rev B.doc
    4,2 MB · Views: 3.302
  • Paradox Rome Guide Rev D.doc
    2 MB · Views: 3.475
Last edited:
Definitely in-depth. A lot of information. I do wish for it to be a little more professional, such as a table of contents. Maybe convert you 'tables' into actual tables. And did I see you spell 'you', 'u' :D

These are my only complaints. It is a the small things that will annoy a person. Work out those kinks and this will be standard textbook reading.

"Civilization Wars" should be changed to just "Civil Wars".

A note about Ping Pong: I find that if an enemy begins to move to attack your army, it's often best to move your army to the province the enemy is attacking from. The enemy will get to your province before you get to theirs, but if you defeat them you'll get to the target province before they do. You then get to fight a defensive battle (always a good thing), and there is a better chance of wiping them out. It's also a good idea to set the game to pop-up and pause on battle results so you can react more quickly.

There's an updated version of the noculture fix either in the unofficial hotfixes mod or just in the Imperium mod. I know it's in the latter, not sure about the former.

Haven't had a chance to read the rest, looks good though.

Thanks

As it's a Word file I changed the "civilization wars" and "u" by search and replace.

I don't understand all the code stuff in the middle - I guess I haven't played far enough for a crash yet.

Thanks again.

Too many games, not enough time. Time is the enemy.

A note about Ping Pong: I find that if an enemy begins to move to attack your army, it's often best to move your army to the province the enemy is attacking from. The enemy will get to your province before you get to theirs, but if you defeat them you'll get to the target province before they do. You then get to fight a defensive battle (always a good thing), and there is a better chance of wiping them out. It's also a good idea to set the game to pop-up and pause on battle results so you can react more quickly.

This is a good example of why the whole combat mechanic in recent Paradox games (ala Ping Pong) is so wrong. Gamey doesn't even begin to describe it..

You really need to make this a CHM help file with proper table of contents to click on and such, You can use WinCHM or similar.

Nice thing that you have compiled all the stuff together! To be honest though, the editing and layout is not that superb, and spelling in some of the articles made my eyes bleed :D Still, lots of good stuff there!

It would be nice if all the stuff from document could be arranged to the EU:Rome Wiki. With some editing the document would be a pleasure to read in wiki format :)

Converging cohorts into armies

hi i just got this game and i know you have to click the button with the 2 arrows that go into 1 but it doesn't seem to work so is there like a keyboard shortcut? Thank you :)

This is a good example of why the whole combat mechanic in recent Paradox games (ala Ping Pong) is so wrong. Gamey doesn't even begin to describe it..

Recent Paradox Games? AFAIK, you could do the same in EU2... Besides, it basically means that the two armies meet somewhere in between two provinces, and when one is defeated, the other is close to the city where the loser would retreat to, and can thus destroy him easily. Gamey, perhaps yes, but there are some many gamey things in a video game.

Besides, it basically means that the two armies meet somewhere in between two provinces, and when one is defeated, the other is close to the city where the loser would retreat to, and can thus destroy him easily
I wish it were that rational but I'm afraid that there is no logic whatsoever to the game's area movement. A force will defend a province regardless of what direction the enemy comes from even if it is moving in the opposite direction (to the north, for example) away from a hostile invasion (from the south, say); assuming that it wins the battle it is able to continue it's march from the point it was at before the battle so if it only had two more days to go to reach the target province to the north then that is all it takes to get there. Obviously then it did not fight the battle in the South as you seem to think ('somewhere in between the two provinces') but in the north where the defender is located but, if that is the case, how did the invader from the south get to the north of the area instantaneously. Conversely, if the battle was fought around the southern border of the province (which you believe to be the case) then how did the defender in the north of the province instantaneously get back to the South to fight the battle and then just as instantaneously return to the north to resume its march from the point that it was at before it fought the battle. The game assumes that there is distance involved in movement as it calculates the amount of time to march from one province to the next depending on the terrain, the size of provinces etc. but then takes all sorts of liberties with distance and time by allowing teleportation according to the circumstances. It would be much better to ditch the area movement and replace it with hexes or otherwise precisley located geographical movement to solve these serious issues.

Hexes are areas too, so I don't see how that would change the situation.

As you well know, battles in EU scale do not represent single battles. They represent series of several battles, between various troops. Because of supply reasons armies did not move packed together unless they all were heading for a major battle. Scouts clash with each other, tail-guards clash with fore-runners, etc. The troops in an area are not at any given border, they are all over the area, some even in bordering areas. When most of them are in another area, the game shows the unit to be there.

Really, a grand-strategy scale game is not a tactical-scale game. There is a "slight" difference there :)