• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Viva la Rivoluzione!

I wonder what the final armies situation was, how far did our armies go into Imperial territory. Plus, didn't German substates join the side of the King of Bohemia? We could have got something out of that!
A bit anticlimactic :D. The defeat at Munich had to hurt the Bohemian militaristic/aristocratic pride.
Well the AI is quite inept even by V2 standards ... And techs were by my side once more :p
If the trend continues for too long, maybe I'll add some challenge by myself.

Next update will cover once more war and there'll be a vote

Reactions:
What a solid victory. The backwards monarchies shall cower in fear.

Viva la Rivoluzione!

Two updates in two days. I expect daily updates again now. No excuses. :D

Damn ... the vote will be a good enough excuse :p
No really people are lost when I update while there is a vote ...

I suppose that is a reasonable excuse, assuming the votes aren't on such things as what Italy's national cheese dish should be. ;)

Viva la Rivoluzione! It's quite difficult remembering that every time. :p

I suppose that is a reasonable excuse, assuming the votes aren't on such things as what Italy's national cheese dish should be. ;)

Viva la Rivoluzione! It's quite difficult remembering that every time. :p
National dishes are a vital matter ! :p
No really it would be how to deal with the peripheric areas of Italy and I think it's a good occasion to vote. Maybe I'll ask if I'm allowed to cheat for a certain matter. But first next chapter

One day you'll forget and I'll be there to remind you of it *evil laugh*

Pretty good update, looking forward to seeing what happens next especially come election time.

Reactions:
What? Only a simple peace where they acknowledged the Danubian Federation? The Imperial scum should had been wiped off the map while you had the occasion! Massimo Desderi is a traitor to the republic!

What? Only a simple peace where they acknowledged the Danubian Federation? The Imperial scum should had been wiped off the map while you had the occasion! Massimo Desderi is a traitor to the republic!
Well the goal of the peace was status quo on our side so I couldn't do much more :p

Well the goal of the peace was status quo on our side so I couldn't do much more :p
Excuses to justify this criminal peace! (I understood, but I just thought an RP comments fitted in)

Only one war so far, at least.

Onwards to victory!

The Danubian Federation's existence secures you a reasonably strong ally, although they'll need extra territory and assistance in general to really assist you besides on the continent.

Chapter 14 : Corsica and Sardinia

With the German Republic recognized by the Emperor, the Danubians could begin to organize themselves in peace. But the Italian ambitions were far from being satisfied : especially in the Mediterranean, with the islands of Corsica and Sardinia in the hands of the Catalans. The problem was that Catalonia has allied with Burgundy.
1453067511-1-war-on-catalonia.png
Nonetheless, Taparelli, confident in the abilities of the Army following the German War had decided to take advantage of the current situation and declared war on Catalonia in July 1856 to satisfy the Irrendist views in the Senate. Burgundy was swift to answer and fights erupted along the border in Geneva.

1453067536-bis-camorista.jpg

Members of the local Cammora, photographed in the late 1870's
The Army tasked with freeing the Tyrrhenian Islands was delayed because of a riot in Napoli. This riot was organized by the local mafia, whose barons were mainly from the Catalan minority, but had soon gained wide support in the city because of the latent feeling of inequality between the North and the South. It was the first eruption of the organized crime on the public scene from the Republic and the repression was swift but the “Southern Problem” was only beginning.
1453067538-3-battle-of-geneva.png
1453067533-4-battle-of-neuchatel.png
War was concentrated in Savoy and Piedmont for the first part of the war, with Catalan troops allowed through the South of France while Burgundians harshly defended Geneva and Neuchatel.
1453067625-2-war-in-the-alpes.png

The beginning of the Danubian intervention
Eventually the Italians were relieved thanks to the intervention of the Danubians on their side and the opportunism of the Anglois monarchy who decided to affirm their rights on the old Duchy of Bourgogne, stating the apanage status as their right. Meanwhile the Ottomans decided to take advantage of the situation by attacking the Kingdom of Greece, officially protected by Anvers. Thus by November 1857 the fight with Burgundy was becoming a paved way to victory, especially with the Rhenish campaign of the Danubians.
1453067531-5-maghreb-uprising.png
In March the Catalans would see their colonial hold challenged by the Maghrebi Emirate led by Abd-El-Kader, and who had easily made the tribes rise against the Iberian occupiers. With this, Barcelona had to send troops in what was becoming a “humanitarian mission”[1] in the hands of the newspaper.
1453067810-6-annexation-of-bourgogne.png

The greatest extant of the occupation of Burgundy by allied forces before the successful regrouping of the Burgundian Armies
In April, the treaty of Dijon was signed by the King of Burgundy Charles III, who had to relinquish the old duchy of Burgundy to the Dual-Monarchy. It was a real blow to the Monarchy who was now going by a hollow name, not controlling any territories belonging either to the Kingdom of the Burgondes, nor to the old Capetian Duchy. But unlike in Catalonia, Charles III was not decided to abandon the old lands and refused to change its title. War was still raging but with the French front relieved, the Burgundian armies were able to make the Danubians lose ground while holding the Italian Armies in Lorraine.
1453067548-7-shelling-of-barcelona.png
While the Burgundian Front was becoming static, the Italians were making advances in Catalonia. The Army who had quelled the rebellion in Naples and successfully taken Sardinia and Corsica had landed near Perpinyà and was advancing towards Barcelona. Once again the Italians stormed the City, forcing the Catalan Monarchy to flee to Valencia but they went farther than during Pacoret’s entry. The Italian Fleet, had blockaded the Port for two weeks, and the stronger Catalan Navy had made not signs of wanting to force the deadlock. But with Italian cannons breaching the naval defences, they were forced to leave the Base in hurry. No Italian ships were sunk during this repetition of the battle of Actium, although on a less strategic scale. The ‘Shelling of Barcelona’ was one of the last actions of the war and the news decided Charles III to stop the war.
1453067540-8-war-on-provence.png
But during the last days of negotiation Italy found itself in a problematic situation. The tensions with the Duchy of Provence had always been high because of the assumed title of Great-Duke of Tuscany by the Valois-Medicis. When Italy united their move was to ally with Burgundy to save their independence from both the Italian Revolutionaries and the Anglois views. But with Burgundy severely diminished, both Paris and Rome began to prepare a potential intervention in the Principality. A small incident, on the border, decided Taparelli to move. An Italian policeman had pursued a smuggler in a wood shared by both countries. He stumbled upon a Provencal patrol that shot him dead. The hierarchy then apologized but the damage was already done : Italian Armies crossed the border in what was seen as a grand police operation.
1453067548-traite-de-rome.jpg

The plenipotentiaries of the Treaty of Rome with the leader of the Italian Diplomacy, the count of Cavour on the left
It did not change much the outcome of the ongoing negotiations in Rome. The subsequent Treaty, signed on the 30th August. Catalonia had to cede Sardinia and Corsica, Greece was forced to let Thessalia return to Ottoman Rule while a Border state was to be created in Geneva, to “represent the Arpitanian right to independence”, guaranteed by Italy. The different countries present also acknowledged the Confederation as a legitimate state. German negotiators were left bitter with the Italians, especially considering it was their intervention who tickled the war, and it can certainly explain why they didn’t intervene when the Provencal War became a real Crisis.

[1] : the harsh policies of the European against the local along the grabbing of lands had seen tensions rise over the years and the revolt saw its lot of massacres on both sides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You might want to wait for commenting, a vote update is following ;)

Last edited:
Thank God! I thought that Athalcor's AAR took all the light and this chapter wouldn't have been released for a long time :p
I did not remember Cavour being so dandy, looks like this time WE will take land from France proper (Plombieres was a mistake).
Now, shall we have some "humanitarian missions" or "scientific researches" on the other side of the Mediterranean? Genoese communities existed in most of Northern African ports, especially Egyptian and Tunisian, they clearly are oppressed minorities!

Futuro della Republica ( Future of the Republic) :
645px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Italian_Social_Republic.svg.png

Center and Peripheries :
The Italian unification has been mainly a Northern action and movement. Support for Unification was still low in Venetia, Sicily and even more in Arborea. In Venetia, the economy has been in shambles since the loss of the Stato Da Màr in the 1840's at the exception of the Terra de Oro and the Risorgimento has not alleviated it, with the economic centre located in Lombardy and Etruria. Southern Italy is plagued by organized crime and a lack of investment in these predominantly rural areas. Arborea has been hevaily colonized by the Catalans and the population hardly feels Italian. For all these different factors the State has seen numerous immigrates leaving for Arcadia despite the efforts of the government. The problem is only growing and it might be wiser to know what policy adopt when it attains a breaking point.

A) The government shall deploy any means necessary to make the locals stay and improve the state of the peripheries
B) The government should help the concerned areas but it should not take precedence
C) Let these areas to their fates, they deserve it!

There are three events designed around Italian immigration, targeting Venetia, the Mezzogiorno and Sardinia-Corsica. Basically it triggers local modifiers about immigration that make a lot of Italians search better lives abroad. The first option cost a lot of money, directly and then for the ten next years but then the modifier ends ; the second costs less but it needs 20 years to end ; the last cost nothing but then the modifiers are here to stay.
The cost can be heavy since if the three cumulate I'll have -30% income but I'll leave that to you

Possible cheating : Should I be allowed to make drastic changes to the setup to provide more challenge
A) Yes
B) No

You have until Friday 22nd at 8p.m (CEST time) to vote. Don't expect too much answers this week since I don't know if I'll have Internet at the hospital for the next three days (don't worry I'm not between life or death, otherwise there would haven't been any updates at all :p )

And from the ashes of the Old Order, a brave New World shall rise.

---------

Also, 'A) The government shall deploy any means necessary to make the locals stay and improve the state of the peripheries '

Only one war so far, at least.

Onwards to victory!
It is the Italian decade so far but we'll have to see how long it lasts
The Danubian Federation's existence secures you a reasonably strong ally, although they'll need extra territory and assistance in general to really assist you besides on the continent.
In fact the Victoria II engine means that the Federation prefers to ally the Dual-Monarchy than me because we are too close ... not shown here but I try to explain it by the fact that I may have used them here :p (although Italians soldiers spilled blood for their independence)
Excuses to justify this criminal peace! (I understood, but I just thought an RP comments fitted in)
Good way of thinking citizen !
EVENT: Pissed off Forumgoers

Choose either 5 militancy or War with all of Germany outside of the Danube for 50 Infamy.
I choose the third option :D

Thank God! I thought that Athalcor's AAR took all the light and this chapter wouldn't have been released for a long time :p
I did not remember Cavour being so dandy, looks like this time WE will take land from France proper (Plombieres was a mistake).
Now, shall we have some "humanitarian missions" or "scientific researches" on the other side of the Mediterranean? Genoese communities existed in most of Northern African ports, especially Egyptian and Tunisian, they clearly are oppressed minorities!
@Athalcor is stealing my rightful place as the Divergences leader of the AAR section. It will be a battle to death! :p
Well I stumbled upon a picture of the Treaty of Paris and I thought of including him. No annexations in France though, but we'll see a tight influence there ... maybe ;)
As always you shall wait for next chapters to discover that

And from the ashes of the Old Order, a brave New World shall rise.

---------

Also, 'A) The government shall deploy any means necessary to make the locals stay and improve the state of the peripheries '
My bad I had forgotten second question so could you look again please :p

My bad I had forgotten second question so could you look again please :p

I am afraid a bit what would saying 'yes' do :O. My preferred turn of events would be continue-winning-and-then-crash-and-burn-hopefully-in-a-civil-war (my favourite story ending :D ) but I guess that if you played a bit more and saw that the cakewalk is strong with this AAR, then I feel strongly obliged to vote

'A) Yes'

Center and Peripheries : Option A
Possible Cheating: Option B

I take it Part 2 will be this Friday?