• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yosharian

Recruit
9 Badges
Nov 12, 2016
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Prison Architect
Hi everyone. Since there doesn't seem to be a portrait thread for Tyranny yet, I thought I would make one. Hopefully people will add their own portraits to the ones I'm going to add in my post.

Some quick info:

1) Portrait dimensions/filetype [.PNG, 210x330, 76x96]
Tyranny, like Pillars of Eternity, requires a .PNG filetype and two images, one at 210 width x 330 height (pixels) and one at 76 width x 96 height (pixels). The ratios for these images are slightly different - the smaller image is slightly more 'squat', so if you're cropping/resizing down an original image, you may want to grab two slightly different pictures to get a good match, making the smaller image slightly wider.

2) How to name your portrait so that Tyranny understands it
Tyranny requires portraits to follow a naming convention as follows:
image_lg.PNG
image_sm.PNG
(where 'image' is the name of your portrait, so for example you could have dwarf_lg.PNG)

3) How to insert a custom portrait into your Tyranny game
Tyranny requires custom portraits to be inserted into the game folder found here:
\steamapps\common\Tyranny\Tyranny_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\male
(located wherever Steam is installed)

Suggestions for posting portraits in this thread:

a) Crop/resize your images properly. Images should be the correct size and filetype. Save your fellow players the headache of doing it themselves.
b) Consider whether your portrait needs to be cropped more. Good _LG portraits focus on the head and partial body, and good _SM portraits contain mostly just the head. See here for some examples from Tyranny.

Right, so here are some portraits I've found that I think fit with Tyranny's style. I've found it quite hard to find portraits that fit with the game.

Scout:
edit_lg.png
edit_sm.png

This is a simple quick edit (in paint, and I am by no means a good artist, it's a horrible copy & paste tiling job) to remove the quiver so that the portrait can be used for other class archetypes.
Fighter:
edit2_lg.png
edit2_sm.png

Again a quick edit to remove the arrows sticking out of the shield that I didn't like. Not the best work in paint here, again I am no artist. Maybe someone with some paint skillz can do a better job than me.
Blind Warrior:
male_human_r_lg.png
male_human_r_sm.png

I found this one quite intriguing. There's some role-play opportunities here for sure! I think it fits with Tyranny's style with its colours.
Weathered Old Guy:
male_human_x_lg.png
male_human_x_sm.png
male_human_x2_lg.png
male_human_x3_lg.png

If you use the second or third large picture, you need to rename it (remove the '2' or '3') so that it fits the naming convention of the smaller picture. I like this one. An older, wiser character.
Hooded Barbarian:
male3_lg.png
male3_sm.png

This one is a bit low resolution compared to Tyranny's normal style but I just love the portrait.

That's it for now. Hopefully you guys will add your own suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The nice thing about this is that the protraits from Pillars of Eternity appear to be the same size and format (I mean, why change it anyway, right?)

I have just raided an old PoE custom portrait thread for a fair few evil-looking chaps and chappesses.

Sadly, stil a bit short on the ideal darker skinned (since that seems to be the default pick unless its random every time), evil looking chaps with Evil Beards. (Though come to that, Tyranny's chartacter models a bit short of the truely evil handlebar moustache, appropriate to twirling...)

It is deeply unfortunate we can't be Undead in this, otherwise I would love to use what is (in all forums where an uploadable avatar is an option) what is, like, me personally, wot was drawed for me by one generous chap once.

thankings_lg_zpsyjr2pa78.png

I love this. I literally have it on a t-shirt.

Clearly we need a mod to be able to play as (to use a Jim Sterling-ism) skelingtons! (Not mechanically, just visually...!)

(You could actually do it in BGII with Gatekeeper, and I did...!)

Sadly, that is rather beyond me (I mean, if'n you want 3D printable starship an' tanks an' stuff, I is yer man, er lich, but Stuff For Computer Games is right out of my league!)

The nice thing about this is that the protraits from Pillars of Eternity appear to be the same size and format (I mean, why change it anyway, right?)

I have just raided an old PoE custom portrait thread for a fair few evil-looking chaps and chappesses.

Sadly, stil a bit short on the ideal darker skinned (since that seems to be the default pick unless its random every time), evil looking chaps with Evil Beards. (Though come to that, Tyranny's chartacter models a bit short of the truely evil handlebar moustache, appropriate to twirling...)

It is deeply unfortunate we can't be Undead in this, otherwise I would love to use what is (in all forums where an uploadable avatar is an option) what is, like, me personally, wot was drawed for me by one generous chap once.

thankings_lg_zpsyjr2pa78.png

I love this. I literally have it on a t-shirt.

Clearly we need a mod to be able to play as (to use a Jim Sterling-ism) skelingtons! (Not mechanically, just visually...!)

(You could actually do it in BGII with Gatekeeper, and I did...!)

Sadly, that is rather beyond me (I mean, if'n you want 3D printable starship an' tanks an' stuff, I is yer man, er lich, but Stuff For Computer Games is right out of my league!)
May I save this fantastic piece of art and use it for my D&D games? I promise to base a Lich on you!

May I save this fantastic piece of art and use it for my D&D games? I promise to base a Lich on you!

You certainly may. (There is a full sized image here.)

("Bleakbane" would be what to call him if you want to make it a proper cameo! Use of Maximised Disintegrate would add real authenticity if you are playing at really high level...! (And the appropriate edition.))

This game needs more mustaches.

It really does...!

Last edited:
This thread is going into a direction I like.
Ditto.

You certainly may. (There is a full sized image here.)

("Bleakbane" would be what to call him if you want to make it a proper cameo! Use of Maximised Disintegrate would add real authenticity if you are playing at really high level...! (And the appropriate edition.))

I'm still a noobie, first time DM, but I'll definitely find a way to add that extra degree of authenticity, sire.

Reactions:
New Patch will not allow custom portraits. Have a ton of portraits that no longer show up in game or on new character creation.
EDIT:
It seems that the folder for portraits moved. Under C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Tyranny\Tyranny_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\ male or female all that's in it are the portraits I have added, none of the regular portraits that came with the game are there.

Update from Moderator

Hello @lightsfantastic,

I am sorry about that. We changed the folder structure of some of our data files in this Patch. The portraits have changed location:
Former Location: Tyranny\Tyranny_Data\data\art\gui\portraits
New Location: Tyranny\Data\data\art\gui\portraits

I believe if you move your custom portraits to the new folder, they should work as they did before :)

I am sorry for any confusion or frustration this has caused,
David

Last edited:
Reactions: