• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

novapaddy

War-Father
103 Badges
Aug 26, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
Unfortunately the images that were in this post are now lost as the image-storing place wanted to be paid.
Also the tutorial was deleted.

But now, I have found some instructions further on in this thread which may help you?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rkest-Hour&p=16404214&viewfull=1#post16404214

HERE:

Please read through this slowly as you are making a basic mistake.

Generate the 8 bmp files for each sprite Run, Fire and one for Stand, 17 files in total.

Open up the first Fire bmp image.

Colour of shadow, colour of background are very different. Note the colour settings in gimp.

Background (bright magenta) will be 300, 100, 93, 238, 0 238.

Dark magenta (shadow) will be 300, 100, 58, 149 0, 149. or something close to that.

Make sure the shadow colour is selected in the toolbox, click the Select by Colour Tool, and select all the shadows in the sprite.

You are making all the shadows the shadow colour.

Unselect.

Choose the background colour in toolbox.

Use the Select by Colour Tool and to remove all those extra pink spots around the sprite that show up as flashing pink spots around the sprite in the game. Set all the spots to the background colour to remove them.

When done:

You need to create your palette for this sprite.

Go Image, Mode, RGB.
Go image, Mode, Indexed

A gui pops up. Select Generate Optimum Palette, 255 colours, Untick remove unused colours from colourmap.. Click Convert

Ensure the palette menu is open.. if not go, Windows, Dockable dialogs, open up the palette.

Palette menu, Name the palette, Select the image, Name the new palette to suit the sprite.

Import

The palette is now in a list. Double click it to open it. Enlarge it.

Use the dropper tool in the GIMP tools menu to select the background colur.. click on the sprite to select it... See what colour is highlighted, move that colour tile to the top left corner.

Repeat for the shadow colour, move to the top left corner, but one tile to the right of the previous (background) colour.

Your top left corner will now be:

Background colour : shadow colour.. and then the rest of the colours. Save.

You now have saved and named your palette.

Now you process all the other sprite bmp files using this palette.

Go back to your original FIRE sprite that you used to create your palette.

Go, Image, Mode, RGB.
Go, Image, Mode, Indexed

The gui pops up again.

This time you choose Use Custom palette, click on the box of colours, select the palette you just made, leave all else unticked, and Convert.

You have now converted the image to your palette.

Save the file in the normal way to name a sprite.

With the file still open on the desktop:

Go, Image, Scale Image, make the file 4 x 4, (a dot).

Go, Image, Mode, RGB.
Go, Image, Mode, Indexed

The gui pops up again.

This time you choose Use Custom palette, click on the box of colours, select the palette you just made, leave all else unticked, and Convert.

Save the file as your palette file..like sprite_palette.bmp

Repeat for all the other images.

I mean: you've just processed one sprite and created your palette.

Use this palette to process all the other images. You have to do the background and the shadow on every image.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
EDIT NOTE - most of the posts on the first two pages concern the first set of instructions posted by novapaddy, which were very different. If you want to look at the posts relating to the new set you should go to the last few posts on page 2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tutorial, but I'm afraid it won't put a stop to the questions!

I'm sorry, but I'm a complete beginner with every element of this.

I've started again following your tutorial, and have already done the following:

Open up GIMP.
Open up one of the 8 pcx files you created with FLICster.
Note the size of the file, ie. 2400 x 240 for instance (can be different, this is just an example).

Create a New GIMP file with the same dimensions, choose Transparency, All Levels as background.
Copy and Paste your open pcx file into your new file.
Close old pcx file.

Next comes: ''Save as 24-bit BMP file.''

That type doesn't seem to be included.

Attachments

• Save Image.jpg
    Save Image.jpg
    75,6 KB · Views: 110
  • Help.jpg
    Help.jpg
    163,8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
@Chicken Spadge: You are unlucky as in the latest version of GIMP, you have to File > Export your pcx file first to save it as a .bmp.

In older versions of GIMP, you simply saved it.

So, Export!

@Chicken Spadge: You are unlucky....

You're telling me!, especially when it comes to techical matters!

But anyway, thanks alot.

OK, I went through the instructions and got an empty space in the game.

Then I noticed that both the 24-bit and 8-bit bmp files were huge - at 2,532 kB and 845 kB, respectively, making the final bmp file 3,376 kB.

The palette is normal size.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

I've got a feeling that the problem with saving bmp files in GIMP may have something to do with it.

OK, I went through the instructions and got an empty space in the game.
Then I noticed that both the 24-bit and 8-bit bmp files were huge - at 2,532 kB and 845 kB, respectively, making the final bmp file 3,376 kB.
The palette is normal size.
Any ideas what I did wrong?
I've got a feeling that the problem with saving bmp files in GIMP may have something to do with it.

EDIT:

OK, your 8-bit file should be about 0.5MB to 0.8MB. That is for each strip x 8.
Your 24-bit file something like 1.6MB to 2.2MB?

If your final file is 2.5+MBs, then it is still 24-bit, and not 8-bit.

Only 8-bits work in the game.

I've done it twice here, and got it wrong twice! It's very easy to do the wrong thing, like Save As, instead of Save... ?
Save keeps the 8-bit, while Save As may make it 24-bit again?

I did it more carefully, and read my own instructions, and got it right on the 3rd try!

Trial and Error.

ALSO:
I've tried doing the shadows while doing the rest and it messed things up.
It seems I have to do the shadows when it is all done. So after the usual process.

EDIT 2: If you are working in 8-bit, you make a copy of the file first, then work on it, then Save it.
Saving it, keeps it at 8-bit.

It's the same when you are doing counters, copy, save. Not open file, work on it, save as,.. gives you back 24-bit.

Last edited:
OK, I seem to be making at least some progress.

First, you should definitely tell people in the intro to get rid of GIMP 2.8 and replace it with your version. It makes things so much easier.

By the way, I found that the huge bmp file I was talking about was actually 32-bit. This second time, probably thanks to the GIMP-version change I was able to produce an 8-bit one that has 845 kB. That's still big, but the strip has 15 figures on it. In fact, the number exactly matches other bmps made from CIVIII units orginally created by the same person in the same style.

Anyway, here's what my second attempt looks like:

View attachment 77077

You can see the outline of the sprite running but that's all. The small number you can see is 5. I've got the feeling that the palette is the problem, but what's your diagnosis doc?

OK, at least you can see it this time!

I've tried to make a few sprites today, and it is very easy to do the wrong thing. I'm having to stop and read what I wrote last night, again and again...

I'd suggest you open up your sprite's palette on the desktop, side by side with a sprite's palette from DH, just to compare. They should be somewhat alike?

It might give you a hint as to what is wrong? Also check your file is 8-bit. It is listed on the bottom of the IrfanView file.

Also check your file is 8-bit. It is listed on the bottom of the IrfanView file.

Yes, this could be the problem. When I resize the 8-bit bmp file to 4x4, Irfan changes it to 24 bit at the same time. I can't work out how to stop this from happening.

If you try to change it back via GIMP by using Save As, it will only let you reduce it to 16 bit.

Edit: I am doing this bit correctly, aren't I? Open in Irfan, then Image - Resize/Resample - Width change to 4, Height change to 4 - OK

Last edited:
Yes, this could be the problem. When I resize the 8-bit bmp file to 4x4, Irfan changes it to 24 bit at the same time. I can't work out how to stop this from happening.
If you try to change it back via GIMP by using Save As, it will only let you reduce it to 16 bit.
Edit: I am doing this bit correctly, aren't I? Open in Irfan, then Image - Resize/Resample - Width change to 4, Height change to 4 - OK

OK, if you are working in 8-bit, it is most important that you make a copy of the file first.
Work on the copy only.

So, say I'm working on A. A is 24-bit. I want to make a sprite of A.
I make a copy of A. I call it B. B is also 24-bit.

I open up B, GIMP, mode > transform?... 256.. Convert (to 8 bit). Save. .... NOT save as, as this will make it 24 bit again.

B is now 8-bit.

I now work on IrfanView. Easier.

I open up B. I go to the palette and change the 2 top left tiles. Save.
It is still open, I go back to palette,.... Export palette. name the new palette.

B is still open.
I go save (same folder?) looks like a save as, but isn't .... new name... C.... C will be my new palette file.

C is now 8-bit also.
Open up C, check the palette is ok, if not fix it, resize to 4 x 4. Save.
Close it.
Open it back up, check palette, none... Import the palette you just saved.
Save.

Get the idea?

Don't worry that things aren't working right away.

I've been working on sprites a little today, and I've had to have the instructions open on the desktop, and had to follow every line, line by line... as it is very easy to do it wrong.

AND I've had to repeat stuff because I missed out a step...

Oooooh! So near and yet so far! Look at this!:
View attachment 77085
I managed to produce an 8-bit pallette this time. The sprite itself looks perfect, just like the original.
Anyway, that's enough for today. No need to hurry with an answer. Thanks for all your help today.

Progress!

OK, looks like you may have missed a step, or the step didn't work right...?

You need to check the palette and sprite file, to see the background is in the palette, top left corner.

If it is...

Go back, get your original 24bit sprite, copy it. Basically start over .. but with just the sprite.

Somehow the step where you copy the 24bit, with the copy, make the 8-bit, fix the palette...
... now COPY and PASTE the 24bit on top of the 8-bit.. and SAVE.

Else you end up with what you have above.

I've tried a few more times, but I keep getting the magenta square.

I'm fairly covinced that the problem lies in the section where you take the newly created 'T-INFANTRY... bmp file and convert it into the palette file in Irfanview.

So here's a step-by step account of my most recent actions for that part. Maybe you'll see where I'm going wrong.

1. I open the (8-bit) 'T-INFANTRY...' bmp file in Irfanview.
2. I press Image and then Resize/Resample. I change the width from 3600 to 4, and the height from 240 to 4. I don't touch anything else.
3. The Image shrinks to a small square. The info box reads 4*4*24. So, for some reason its changed from 8 bit to 24 bit, which I don't understand.
4 I press Save as. I rename the file: JAP-INFpallette, leave the type as BMP Windows bitmap and press Save.
5 The new file is 24 bit and has only 102 bites. The dimensions are 4*4 pixels.
6 I check the JAP-INFpallette file in GIMP and it seems OK. I press Save.
7. I open the file in IrfanView again and press Image/Palette/Import Palette. I import the palette/pal file. The file reverts back to 8 bit. The dimensions are still 4*4. The size increases to 1.06 kB
8. I press Save.

Step 7. seems to be the only way to make the palette 8 bit.

Any ideas?

I've tried a few more times, but I keep getting the magenta square.

I'm fairly covinced that the problem lies in the section where you take the newly created 'T-INFANTRY... bmp file and convert it into the palette file in Irfanview.

So here's a step-by step account of my most recent actions for that part. Maybe you'll see where I'm going wrong.

1. I open the (8-bit) 'T-INFANTRY...' bmp file in Irfanview.
2. I press Image and then Resize/Resample. I change the width from 3600 to 4, and the height from 240 to 4. I don't touch anything else.
3. The Image shrinks to a small square. The info box reads 4*4*24. So, for some reason its changed from 8 bit to 24 bit, which I don't understand.
4 I press Save as. I rename the file: JAP-INFpallette, leave the type as BMP Windows bitmap and press Save.
5 The new file is 24 bit and has only 102 bites. The dimensions are 4*4 pixels.
6 I check the JAP-INFpallette file in GIMP and it seems OK. I press Save.
7. I open the file in IrfanView again and press Image/Palette/Import Palette. I import the palette/pal file. The file reverts back to 8 bit. The dimensions are still 4*4. The size increases to 1.06 kB
8. I press Save.

Step 7. seems to be the only way to make the palette 8 bit.

Any ideas?

The reason why you keep getting the magenta background, is in the very first step.

You start with an pcx file, which you save as a 24 bit file.
You then open up that 24 bit file, and then go NEW, same dimensions, set background to Transparency....

You are now creating a transparent background for your new file.

You then copy your 24bit file over this transparent file, and Save.

If you don't do this successfully, you will always have a magenta background.

The reason why you keep getting the magenta background, is in the very first step.

You start with an pcx file, which you save as a 24 bit file.
You then open up that 24 bit file, and then go NEW, same dimensions, set background to Transparency....

You are now creating a transparent background for your new file.

You then copy your 24bit file over this transparent file, and Save.

If you don't do this successfully, you will always have a magenta background.

Thanks, I'll try it out later when I get back home. I've had to go into work today (which feels like a cushy number when compared to trying to convert those darn sprites!)

By the way, I know that I'm getting ahead of myself here, but as you can see I also play For the Glory. Would the same process apply to converting CivIII sprites for that game or would there be some differences (apart from only having to make two FIRE files per infantry sprite). Don't worry, if I ever get this right I'm going to concentrate on DH first, because its need is greater at the moment.

Thanks, I'll try it out later when I get back home. I've had to go into work today (which feels like a cushy number when compared to trying to convert those darn sprites!)

By the way, I know that I'm getting ahead of myself here, but as you can see I also play For the Glory. Would the same process apply to converting CivIII sprites for that game or would there be some differences (apart from only having to make two FIRE files per infantry sprite). Don't worry, if I ever get this right I'm going to concentrate on DH first, because its need is greater at the moment.

I've no idea about FtG, but being of similar age as HoI2(?), I would imagine you could use the sprites from FtG directly, or at least try and expect a high success rate? OR there wouldn't be much difference, maybe a little adjustment possibly in the palette background (your favourite!)

But remember, you are at the stage (with the background still showing) that a gazillion others have got to, and I was at for ages and ages, before making the breakthrough (to the other side... );)

So, be pleased!

Thanks MartinBG, I hope it can help guys to get into sprites. Cheers

Hello again

''The reason why you keep getting the magenta background, is in the very first step.

You start with an pcx file, which you save as a 24 bit file.''

OK, Chicken Spadge:

I think you probably need to read through the instructions first, before doing anything. Possibly I could make them clearer, I'll see what I can do.

What you say is correct.

BUT

You do the Flicster thing, and it gives you a pcx file.
Open that in GIMP, or whatever, notice the dimensions, i.e. 1400, 140 ... for example.

Then.... Go File... New... set the same dimensions.. and choose Background... Transparency..

Now, paste the pcx file into this blank, transparent file.

... This gives you a new, 24-bit file, which has a transparent background.

NOW... save it as a 24-bit, BMP file, with a different name... AND put it into a new folder.. done.

You now have a 24-bit, transparent sprite file, which when you paste it into your 8-bit sprite file, with the fixed palette.... it will carry the transparency along with it, and hey presto, your sprite is transparent... no more magenta backgrounds..

I'll rewrite the instructions. Cheers

As far as I know, that's what I was doing originally, but I got the impression from your later post that I needed to make a standard 24-bit file from the pcx file and then turn that one into one with a transparent background. As I said, I'm completely new to this so I get confused easily.

One more quick question today. When the export box appears in GIMP, which choice should be ticked: 'Merge visible layers' or 'Flatten image'? I've been leaving it as the former.

By the way, I have at least managed to solve the mystery of the palette file changing from 8-bit to 24-bit when I resized it. After changing the dimensions to 4*4 I failed to change the 'Size method' from 'Resample' to 'Resize'. That was why the thing was changing to 24 bit. At least I've stopped making that particular error.