• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Huzzah - another chapter! This is a placeholder: I will offer more detailed comments a bit later (after a few delays, trying to get another chapter of my own out). :)

Updated: You really do make me laugh with your characters and cunning little captions, including the newspaper articles. In life as in the AAR, domestic concerns can sometimes rear their heads: I hope all can be resolved all right.

And (not sure with the time difference) either hope the language test goes or went well.

Stay strong and patient, brother.

Last edited:
this is weird. i'll keep an eye on this, and if anybody else is having problems can they also write so we can look for something in common? I don't have an iPad to test but on my iPhone (chrome browser) it works good too.
I think it’s just a random thing with the viewer’s platform rather than your image host when it’s spotty like that: I get it with some of mine sometimes (even with my own AARs)! I don’t think there’s much you can do about it from your end. Quite different to your host crashing (or a failure to pay/renew fees, etc).

I wanna know what happened to our "faithful" Rudolph for once.:rolleyes:

I wanna know what happened to our "faithful" Rudolph for once.:rolleyes:
He's been passing the heart of darkness once again leading his army, or rather was hiding in his litter praying and sweating cold sweat while his soldiers were carrying him

How far is the ability to colonize all those white provinces?
Well, I've never played Vicky2 thus far, so I really do not know :D the aim is to fill it all with our color but time will show if we will be able to pull that off :)

Nice AAR, let's make Transvaal great (again..)
Thanks, it for sure is going to be bumpy ride but we'll see :) it's already greater than it's ever been so we are at a good point here :)

I'd like to take the oppurtunity to thank all who has nominated this AAR to Q2 ACAs for 2018, (run by @loup99 ) and if you'd like to participate (i think there's still a little time to do it) you can vote for your favorite AARs (not necessarily this one, but i won't stop you if you did so ;) ) by posting on that thread.

Chapter 1, Section 10: In Pursuit of 3rd Wave Coffee (29/01/1854 - 11/12/1856)
---Chapter 1, Section 10: In Pursuit of 3rd Wave Coffee---

This is de Heer van Rensburg again. The idiot that calls himself diskoerekto, by the way he forgot the birthday of his girlfriend and got into trouble for that -what a loser, decided to buy a Hussar brigade. I want it for my army. This Louis boy, he's good; I mean at least not an ass licking craven like that Rudolf, but of course the better cavalry will be in my army and this Dragoons that I command, while good for me now, should be more than enough for him.

uc

As I said before, bankrupting an already fragile economy one capricious purchase at a time

---

Before the war we had 9 brigades available. I told that diskoerekto fool I'm good with 4 and he can give 5 to the rookie. After all I'm the most skillful general ever. In fact, I would be good with less but I wouldn't want that new boy think he is entitled to a lot more than I do. I took half of the artillery, the dragoon and one more infantry brigade. That left little Louis with 2 artillery and 3 infantry brigades. Fair enough.

We start the sieges together. He is done a month before I am and he already moved to the next province because he has more man to besiege. I was about to regret my decision about the numbers but I never regret. I am Danie van Regensburg. That v is pronounced like an f if you are uncivilized enough to not know that. There is more glory to be had than just sitting on your ass waiting for that thousands of soldiers to finish occupying the province. Like going and attacking an enemy army twice your size headlong.

uc

Little Louie moving on to the next province while big Dan fumes on his ass

uc

2 provinces down, a lot more to go

---

Those damn uncivilized idiots move on to the next province before I could get to them so I reroute my men there. They leave some of it to retake the province the boy occupied, and sent the rest to retake the one I just finished. I'll go get the big one first. We'll see the other later.

uc

The annoying bastard is in for a good surprise

---

What the hell? Where did they run to before I got to them? The moment those coward barbarians -and how low does one have to be to be both a coward and a barbarian? Duh- heard that I'm coming for them, they turned their backs and ran away. Luckily the other detachment is still there for me to punch my anger out.

uc

He's not going to take any prisoners

uc

Told you so :)

---

Is that a brigade from the earlier detachment that ran away? I'll go butcher them. Oh wait the rest is here as well. I'm going for the big one, little boy come for the other one when you're done sitting on your ass sieging, will you?

uc

Will he catch them this time?

uc

It seems like Dan was drinking all the coffee in the world while Louie was munching on beef. I was at this view to see that, not for which resources I will be exploiting after the inevitable annexation

---

Mwahahaha I got the uncivs this time. Boy, did you catch your small prey? See it's like this, the real men hunt boars and small boys go after rabbits. Watch me disregard a so called river crossing mountain assaulting penalty.

uc

The wars are like a blur when he's attacking, I give him that

uc

Double trouble

---

Hey it's me again. I figured out why my girlfriend was mad at me, I forgot her birthday and I'm a total idiot. This was the second time in 3 years so yes I'm really an idiot with dates. Luckily her heart softened back. Another good news is, it is not yet official but I passed my Dutch exams. Cross your fingers everybody. Ok that's enough about me let's go back to the game: After that decisive synchronized battles their paths were clear and it was a siegefest and map painting for the rest of the war. Louie moves to Ankober after his battle, sieges there off and moves to Harer while Dan finishes the siege of the province he won the war in. They won 5 sieges each, and the 11th one they were together there although Louie arrived at the province first. I'm sure Dan went nuts about that.

uc

A sosa, a nkober, reebok now, Asosa???

uc

I wonder why Ethiopia stayed away from the sea when founding their nation

uc

Did you know that the majority of Ethiopia practices one of the most ancient versions of Christianity?

uc

I once went to an Ethiopian restaurant, the food was good but I didn't like the pancakes that is used in place of flatbreads

uc

Probably due to the altitude and the physical characteristics of its people, Ethiopia has the best long distance runners

uc

I'm slowly running out of stuff to say about Ethiopia, but so is Ethiopia running out of provinces so that's a wash I guess?

uc

I mistakenly closed the notification that said Gonder was also finished

uc

Already annexation time! woohooo!

---

Does anybody miss Rudolf? While all this was happening, I sent him to command the lone Hussar brigade which had its training began in the beginning of the episode. That means he had to cross the jungles and stuff without a literal army to protect him. I though about sending him alone but that would be cruel to him, and even a lily livered general like him is better than no generals at all so I need him alive and not ran away somewhere. So he went with a few guards and guides. I am happy I am not one of those guys.

uc

Rudolf Uys the yellow sycophant: defending the coastline of Africa with a single brigade since time immemorial

---

Also, let's have a look at the newspapers lately. They are all talking about our glorious victories against the mighty Ethiopian army with bronze age spears and opiumed lions. This is no joke though, the Italians couldn't handle the same army nearly 100 years later.

uc

Everybody is afraid of the Prussians, and they didn't even compose a symphony this time. Weird times.

---

After this, there's the status of arts and sciences. The double edged knife Nationalism & Imperialism is researched now. On to the economics reserach. Necessary for the colonization techs, and also some bonus for mines. We have some diamond mines, so should have a good impact on our economy.

uc

Somber men in melon hats regulating businesses

---

Speaking of colonization, one of the prerequisites (except for the convoluted discoveries) is that one should at least be a secondary power (top 16 nation). I was thinking all the army growing and annexation prestige gaining and industry building would propel us there by the time we get the discoveries. Now it seems like prestige wise we're doing good, but the armies we've been building hasn't made us a military powerhouse yet, and we did not find the chance to build a single factory or whatever. It seems like this needs to be looked at soon. In the meanwhile, we also did this:

uc

To be fair, the previous justification was really smooth

---

But this was already some months ago, and Ethiopia already annexed. The economy is getting better slowly and the armies are already taking position. You can also see the status of the new justification. 4.4 badboy for only a 2 province state. I hope I do not regret this later. I still have to annex Sokoto and have to wait a lot on the burning of infamy or go over the limit. I wonder if everybody will declare on me or just ignore and let me be.
uc

I forgot to give marching orders to Rudolf, will do first thing next session. It's always fun to give marching orders to him :D

---

I hope I can find a solution to becoming a top 16 nation while waiting for the casus belli to be created. This has been a short one, I hope it was not too boring just to siege and wait. Once again, thanks to all who read, who comment and who nominate for various awards. I enjoy being in this community.

Good to see another ep! Must go to bed now - will read and respond further in the morning.

Edit:

Zzzzz Ah, that’s better! :) Another excellent and amusing episode.

That van Rensburg is very effective. An arsehole, to be sure, but effective! :D Looks like the poor Ethiopians had nothing left after those initial devastating wipe-out defeats.

I saw the Kelebek reference too. ;):D He only works on non-game narrative elements, alas. :rolleyes:

Is there a screen or report that provides a ranked list of nations for the race to become a Power? Would be interesting to see where Transvaal has risen to (number x, with a bullet) and where it started, and who the competition is.

Last edited:
Good to see another ep! Must go to bed now - will read and respond further in the morning. :(
Good night, sleep tight. My updates are usually late night there, and yours are early morning here. I enjoy reading a new one during breakfast :)

Tough to get into that top 16

Well it was to be expected that becoming a Secondary power as a backwards African nation was going to be difficult but hey, you got this far, you surely will find a way to achieve this too.