• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mouchi

Second Lieutenant
40 Badges
Nov 5, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Hello,
loup99 advised me to share a home made tool to the community.
So let's go on.

I. Motivation
To help me to translate some mods, I have created a tool.
This tool has 2 objective : do a diagnostic of the translation state then allow to translate directly on this tool.

II. Diagnostic
After defining the source and destination language, and the localisation directory, you can see the diagnostic of the translation. It shows you the number of missing text in the source language, and the missing translation (no translation or a copy of missing text or placeholder).
For each file you can see the details.
Finally, you can select some files to export the diagnostic of these files in a pdf file.

Example on the demo files, an old version of the localisation of the WtWSMS mod :
Diagnostic.png

III. Translation
From the details of a file, you can go to the translation interface.
You see a source text at left, and the corresponding destination text at right.
You can write or fix the destination text with a grammar and spell checker, and finally save it to go to the next entry to translate.
You can also skip some entries to translate them later, or you can also mark them as "loan words" (say to the system that it is normal that the source text is the same as the translation).

Example on a file in the demo files, with intentional mistakes in French to see grammar and spell checking.
Translation.png

IV. Download and usage
See the Steam guide.

V. What's next
I started to make this tool less than 2 years ago, with several breaks.
With this release I will probably make another break in the development.
But I have some ideas to improve the tool.
Of course, I am opened to your ideas.
To contribute directly, search Translate Helper on GitHub.

VI. Acknowledgement
Thanks to the contributors of the itextpdf, jdom and languagetool libraries.
Thanks to @Bisougai to learn me how do a version checker with this tool Paradoxos Mod Manager.
Thanks to @zimxavier to give me the idea of a syntax highlighting with his tool CKII localisation color syntax for Notepad++
Thanks to @loup99, @Arko, @Magnus Helvetti for encouragements and feedback.

Last edited:
Wow, I was planning on making an unofficial translation in the year's end holiday - this will be most helpful!

This is nice! I'm looking forward to when you support newer games, as support for HoI4 would aid me in checking the results of the Vic2 to HoI4 converter. For that matter, support for Vic2 would aid me in checking the results of the EU4 to Vic2 converter, but that'd be more a case for a different tool instead.

Thanks for encouragements.

I think that the tool already supports Vic2 as the localisation files have the same structure.

A new version (1.3) is released.

CHANGELOG:
  • Allow to modify source text with the help of grammar and spell checking
  • Add entry ID in the title of he translation dialog
  • Add languages at the top of the translation text areas
  • Improve the version checker
Example with added grammar and spell mistake:
upload_2017-9-17_18-50-42.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks to @Arko and @loup99 for their bug reports.
The bugs are patched in the 1.4 version which is now released.

New features
  • Add an action to get a translation from Google
  • Add a configuration option to automatically call Google for empty destination texts
  • Add an action to check all the lines of the files
Bug fixing
  • "set source as loan words" action put now the source text to a new line in the corresponding config file
  • Replace non-breaking space by white space to avoid they are saved as '?'
  • Clearer texts in the console and in the export pdf interface
Some screenshots of the new features
upload_2017-9-24_17-36-13.png

upload_2017-9-24_17-38-47.png

upload_2017-9-24_17-37-6.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
How do I create a new language? I've edited the available_languages like this:

oZyozl7-SLWTPY6GwryYJA.png

Well, my question is: does the game handle new languages? Or should I use SPANISH as placeholder?

Last edited:
It is a good question, I hope somebody brings to us the answer.

In the translation russian mods, they replaced directly the English, I think it is not a good idea.

You can translate in Portuguese in the Spanish column but the translate helper said you that some lines are translated whereas they are translated in Spanish not in Portuguese.

I think it is better to use a column that it is not in the 4 majors (english, french , german and spanish).
To play with antother language, you need to open the file Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\settings.txt and change the language code (in English : l_english)
According to this, there is a code for Brazilian Portuguese in Stellaris but it doesn't work in CK2.
But for polish (by replacing language=l_english by language=l_polish), it works, there is some polish translation in the game (all texts in the 4th column, the one after German and before Spanish).

I have tested several settings to know the available language, I have missed only one.
CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;POLISH;SPANISH;ITALIAN;SWEDISH;CZECH;HUNGARIAN;DUTCH;;RUSSIAN;FINNISH;x

To conclude, without any other answers, you can use the language definition you have shown.
- To see your translation in game, you (and the users of your translation) should replace language=l_english by language=l_italian in the settings file.
- Use pt instead pt-br to have a Portuguese translation in the tool with google translate.

Edit: Add a more accurate list of CK2 available languages
Edit2: Add some remark on the conclusion paragraph about pt instead of pt-br to have google translate working in the tool.

Last edited:
Neat! I'll use Italian as base then.
EDIT:
To edit the base game, just point the folder to basegame/localisation folder?
EDIT2:
Some files are too huge and take a lot of time to go to the next line, like text1.csv! (and I have a i7)

Last edited:
To edit the base game, just point the folder to basegame/localisation folder?
No, I suggest you to create a mod to keep and share your translation.
If you change files in the Steam directories, Steam can erase your modifications (for example when 2.8 will be released).

Some files are too huge and take a lot of time to go to the next line, like text1.csv! (and I have a i7)
Thank you for the feedback, I will try to optimize the saving.
Waiting for this, I suggest you to split this file into several ones to translate them quicker, then merge them again.

Alright.
Do you have a documentation of the strings?
This is the warning thing, so the text inside can be translated, right?
§R AAAA §!

The grammar and spell checker is for common language, it fails on the specific CK2 syntax.
§R AAAA §! just means put AAAA in red, so of course you need to translate the content.
For more information, you can read the excellent wiki page on the localisation.

I have released a new version (v1.7).
It mainly includes
  • A performance fix when saving. Now the saving of big file like text1.csv is nearly instant. Thanks to @Magnus Helvetti for the bug report.
  • A "Go to previous entry" button. Thanks to @loup99 for the suggestion.
As usual, you can see the full changelog between the latest version and your installed version by running it.

I have released a new version (v1.7).
It mainly includes
  • A performance fix when saving. Now the saving of big file like text1.csv is nearly instant. Thanks to @Magnus Helvetti for the bug report.
  • A "Go to previous entry" button. Thanks to @loup99 for the suggestion.
As usual, you can see the full changelog between the latest version and your installed version by running it.
Curse you and bless you! I spent some time dividing the file! hehe

Suggestion: Hotkey for the options, as well as for Copy the Source and Paste to Translation.

Steam guide and changelog
I have published a Steam guide to be clearer than the presentation thread and updated to the new content.

Changelog since the EUIV/HoI4/Stellaris compatibility (January 2018) :
2.5 (July 2018)
# Features
- Manage version number for EUIV/HoI4/Stellaris
- Add a go to line button in translation interface
# Fixes
- Split open file right-click action into open source and open destination file to support EUIV/HoI4/Stellaris

2.4 (May 2018)
# Features
- Add buttons to restore the original source or destination text
- Add a button to copy source text into destination
# Fixes
- Fix error when using Previous button with CK2 files
- Refresh the diagnostic after checking a file
- Ask to save before leaving the Translate Helper

2.3 (March 2018)
# Features
- Add a copy translation button
- Add keyboard shortcuts for translation actions
# Fixes
- Refresh action reloads now the current working session instead of the first loaded
- Stop duplicate text when saving several times missing text
- Avoid to lose translation when creating a file with the Translate Helper

2.2 (February 2018)
# Fixes
- Increase window width
- Fix issue when localization directory is deleted

2.1 (January 2018)
# Fixes
- Check all lines action don't crash for EUIV/HoI4/Stellaris
- Missing saving for line number greater than the number of line in the file for EUIV/HoI4/Stellaris
- Do not count a line without source as not translated

Suggestion: Hotkey for the options, as well as for Copy the Source and Paste to Translation.
Thank you for the suggestion, it has been implemented since the 2.3 version (March 2018)

Nice tool! This looks like a boon to anyone, who wants to translate their game. Maybe even the devs themselves.

Has anyone tested if it runs on Linux? (I mean it's java so it should, but you can never be too sure.)