• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AgentPaper

Captain
80 Badges
Feb 15, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Vikings
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
As anyone who has done modding will likely know, adding characters is a tedious and mind-numbing process. Fortunately, I have a solution for you! This character generator creates as many random characters as you wish, with plenty of options to make sure they're exactly what you need. Just enter in the variables you want, and click "generate" and you'll be the proud new owner of as many as 10,000 new random characters to populate your world with!

You can now also open up your existing character files, and use the program to quickly and easily modify them, or just to view your characters and visually see where they fall in the timeline, and what their family relations are.

epms.jpg

Download Character Generator 1.7

Old:
Character Generator 1.6
Character Generator 1.5
Character Generator 1.4
Character Generator 1.3
Character Generator 1.2
Character Generator 1.1
Character Generator 1.0

Known Issues:
-Character panels are buggy for characters with a short lifespan.
-File/Edit buttons are non-functional.

Changelog:
-Added ability to import/export characters directly from character files.
-You can also import characters from the Output field if you wish.
-Fixed some bugs with how characters are arranged after being generated.
-When you generate parents for a character, the father is now the same dynasty as his son.
-The characters display screen should now always be large enough to show all of the characters in it.
-Characters now remember better who their parents and children are.
-If one of a character's base stats is set to -1, it won't be outputted, allowing them to have a random stat generated on game start.
-Added ability to generate contiguous Dynasties of characters between a Start and End date.
-Characters are now generated at random between the specified Start and End dates.
-"One More" button changed to ignore family size, so it always makes just one additional character.
-Nuclear and Extended families will now always have at least one child. Grand-children are likely, but not guaranteed.
-DNA can now be edited along with other character traits.
-Spouses, Children, and Parents can be added to existing characters.
-Timeline can now be navigated by clicking and dragging.
-Some behind the scenes changes to make things easier in the future. Might have created a few bugs I didn't catch.
-UI now displays gender for each character.
-Dynasty number is displayed after each character's name.
-Characters are color-coded by their dynasty.
-Timelines can be adjusted by dragging just the start and end dates, as well as moving the whole character.
-Characters can now be dragged up and down the list as well.
-Lines show family connections: Blue for marriage and red for children.
-Reference to Military changed to Martial (again).
-Added graphical UI that allows characters to be viewed on a timeline.
-Characters can be dragged around the timeline to change their birth/death dates in a rough fashion.
-Clicking on a character in the timeline will let you easily view and change their attributes in a tab on the right.
-Change: Name boxes can take input in the format used by the culture files. IE Roberto_Robert Timmy Jamie_James, etc.
-Change: Character output has been condensed to make the files shorter.
-Change: Set default ID and Dynasty to 1000000.
-Fix: Children are now born more sensibly.
-Fix: Military changed to Martial.
-Fix: Now possible to get Leaning educations.
-Change: Added ability to generate Couples, Nuclear Families, and Extended Families.
-Change: Added randomly generated DNA.
-Change: Added ability for lowborn characters.
-Change: birth=yes and death=yes instead of dates.
-Fix: Removed quotation marks around religion, culture, and dynasty.
-Fix: Will no longer sometimes produce duplicate traits.
-Added females
-Added random names
-Added congenital traits
-Added malus traits

Planned Features:
-More control over how characters are generated.
-Characters can be generated without base stats.
-Characters can be generated without traits.
-Characters' traits and base stats change over time.
-More interaction between generated characters.
-Loading culture names from game files.
-Creation of lines of unrelated characters over a time period.
-Output title files with generated characters assigned to them.
-Control over which type of education characters are likely to receive.
-Matrilineal marriages.

If you find any issues with the software, or if you have a feature you'd like to see implemented, just let me know and I'll try to make it work.

Attachments

• CK2CharGen.jpg
    CK2CharGen.jpg
    109,6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
That is pretty nice, thought if you could make it so that it uses random names based on culture that would be just awesome.

That is pretty nice, thought if you could make it so that it uses random names based on culture that would be just awesome.

This is something I'm currently working on. For now, you'll need to copy and paste the names into the program, but eventually I'd like to make it so that it can read from the game/mod files directly and even create/edit the character files.

After that, I'm hoping to make it into a family generator, so for example it'll start with a Family Head, give that person a spouse, and then they have X children, then marry off some of those children at various dates, provide grandchildren, and so on for however many generations.

If I can get that to work, I'd ultimately like it to be able to create full histories of characters, including inheritance, intermarriage, lovers, intrigue, and so on. Basically you would set a start date, with X family heads, each holding one or more titles. Then, the simulator would start advancing years, with chances for marriage, children, intrigue, and death each year, up until your set end date.

Anyways, for now I've finished with implementing females, and once I'm off work I'll get on to adding random names, congenital traits, and malus traits to the base editor, and should have an updated version up later today.

maybe an option to create lowborns ?

using names from cultures file database would be amesome too. +link it from mod specific database ;)

Very cool! I wanted such a tool for a long time but was too lazy to write one. With a link to the names from the culture files it would be better than the similar tool made by the fine folks from the game of thrones mod.

One minor thing: Replace lines like this "1976.2.17={birth="1976.2.17"}" with "1976.2.17={birth=yes}" for better readibility

Very cool! I wanted such a tool for a long time but was too lazy to write one. With a link to the names from the culture files it would be better than the similar tool made by the fine folks from the game of thrones mod.

One minor thing: Replace lines like this "1976.2.17={birth="1976.2.17"}" with "1976.2.17={birth=yes}" for better readibility

I didn't actually know you could format it that way. I think I will change it to that method, mostly because it makes it easier to edit the date later on.

Just wanted to give a status report: I've just finished with a giant code overhaul that re-structures how characters are made and printed. I'm not making a new release now since the current version is actually functionally identical to the old one, but huge leaps have been made in the background. Specifically, the program now "remembers" the characters it's made, meaning that newly made characters can look at old characters and draw information such as when they were born, when they died, etc. All in all I've spent about twice as long doing this restructuring as it took to make the original program, if not more.

What this all means for you, however, is that now it's a fairly simply matter to implement new features. The first one will be a family generator, to generate nuclear and extended families. This shouldn't take very long now with the new system, probably sometime tomorrow. After that, I have a few options on what I can work on:

More advanced options: This includes things like custom traits lists, more control over how the base stats are generated, randomized culture and/or religion, better control over how traits are generated, and so on. Basically everything to allow you to tweak and customize your characters to be exactly what you need.

More detailed characters: This includes stuff like random Nicknames that the character gets, as well as a system to make the character have gain and lose traits over their lifetime, instead of just having all of them from age 0 to age 90. For example a newborn would have no traits, and an octogenarian might get Infirm shortly before death. A character might have Brave at age 18 only to lose it at age 41.

Integration of game files: This would be making it so that the program can read files, for example to grab names for a culture automatically, read existing character files, or assign titles.

Better GUI: With the new system, it's possible to represent the characters in other ways. Specifically, by displaying all of the characters on a timeline, allowing you to drag their death and birth dates around, draw family connections, create events during their lifetime, and generally browse your characters in a much more intuitive format.

All of these are things I'd like to do at some point, but all of them will take time to do. With that in mind, which of these features would you most like to see sooner rather than later?

Sounds pretty cool!

What I would prefer to see would be 1) drawing stuff from the game files, especially first names and 2) generate whole dynasties.
Something like this would be preferable: You select a dynasty (or create one in place), some titles (county, duchy, kingdom, empire), a time frame and an ID range and generate the family out of that. The tool will then generate a series of title holders and siblings for them. Every modder who wants to fill a map with characters would be mighty thankful for that.

I still plan to implement something similar in my Scenario Editor but work, university and general laziness stand in the way xD

Last edited: