• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vitos, the Healer
"Friends", said Vitos, "we are putting the cart before the horse! We are creating laws in response to situations that have not yet taken place. What point is there in creating complex structures an constitutions when we do not yet have any experience in sharing Gaia to base it on? And look at the caliber of deity proposing these laws: Death, Greed, and Conquest. Though mighty beings in their own right and worthy of respect, what God here can truly say we trust them to compose our laws from us. No, these deities do not make these laws to protect the weakest, but so that they might abuse them can assert their own supremacy.

"All powers of Gaia, I beseech you, do not allow these few to steer the course of Gaia before we have even begun to craft it into our own image."

Omorphia_very_small_zpsmh50je57.png

Omorphia, Goddess of Beauty & Decadence

Based off land is not fair either. What if one god has a vast sweeping desert that is worthless but another god has a very fertile valley with a great city within it? There are certainly issues with One God One Vote, as it enables valueless Gods(i.e everyone but me) but it is the only practical method.

"I can see some appeal in your arrogance, my dear." Omorphia beams a smile at him. "Arrogance, but not boorishness. Do me a little favour and keep that in mind will you? If you want to become what you desire; the supreme God of this realm, this advice will be helpful. I can imagine you, in all of your glory. Vanishing the other gods till they bend their knee." She giggles to herself. "Or when it comes to Guappa forcing him to stand up. But for others to follow you, you need to demand respect." She looks Dranos in his eyes. "But for respect is more needed than might. Respect needs dignity. And for know I only can sense the smallest seed of dignity in you. If you want for others to follow you willingly, not waiting for a moment of weakness to stab you in your back, you need nourish that little plant. Only then you can truly become beautiful." Her eyes linger a few seconds longer on Dranos, before they aimlessly wander through the room, before they refocus on Harah.

Law must be made and enforced. What one our of divine brothers or sisters may see as just may be viewed as abhorrent to others. It is in the nature of our very being to adhere to certain... paths. Mine, order. Ulgan's, pestilence. Xiuhcoatl's, fire. Kamahans', wisdom... Just this small selection of different directions should be enough to show you that we will writhe against each other's ways.

A set code must be made. An arbiter must be chosen to enforce this code. The divine must adhere to this, or else we will decimate ourselves and see that all we have done be unmade. Never assume that a divine will not act against you, for it is in our very being to amass power.

"Laws. Rules. I can see some beauty in their structure. But this is not enough. Of course you like to make laws. It's your nature after all. But it's not mine. I do not need laws. I have no desire for them. You can make laws. But please, keep them to yourself." She looks around. "One god already departed this round, thus fully rejecting all agreements you may come to. What will you do, if he breaks these laws you made? Will you try to punish him? With what right?" She closes her eyes for a moment. "Understand, I mean no harm, not to you nor your creations, but these concepts, how you understand this world, this existence, have no value for me." She opens her eyes again. "Thus I can't agree to such a proposal. But I will not leave you. I haven't seen such marvellous beings for aeons. I haven't seen anything for aeons to be honest. So this is a much needed compensation for the nothingness I couldn't see."

Name: Shadaris

Sphere: Mysticism, and sorcery

Alignment: As Sorcery is a tool of both creation, and destruction; so does the god of magic find himself an agent of both. As the powers of Sorcery can bring about great change, or be harnessed to maintain stasis; he approaches change with a flexible, shifting viewpoint. That is to say he is not aligned.

Appearance: Shadaris’s true form is a matter of debate, but he seems to be some form of energy. He covers his form when he meets with other gods; appearing as a humanoid creature hooded, and wearing a robe, with gloves and boots that allow nothing beneath to be glimpsed

Biography: Shadaris is no god of wisdom, but some might consider him a wise god, for he does not enter the fray of politics often, and when he does it is on matters of importance. Shadaris is an old god, but exactly how old is something of a mystery. Perhaps he was there at the beginning, but if so he did not show himself for some time. Then again by the time he did show himself he had established himself in a secluded pocket of the universe; a tower of sorcery where he weaves intricate, and complex sorceries. There is a great mystery of Shadaris that goes as such: “Did he create sorcery, or did it create him?” He likes to let people guess.

Whatever the case Shadaris rarely seeks to be anyone’s sole god, for any mortal who partakes in mysticism or magical practice (though it may be wielded for the glory of another god) worships him as well. Sorcery is a powerful weapon for any god who would allow their followers to know shadaris. He is perfectly willing to be a “secondary” god to the followers of others if it allows him to spread his influence, and gain worship across pantheons. Still he envisions places of sorcerous study, or a people of sorcery where he is primarily worshipped.

Ulgan, Lord of Death and Decay
Ulgan sneers. "I resent your implication, Vitos. It is true that Death is not much loved by the mortals who still live, and yet it offers tranquillity at the very end, though sadly it does not always come peacefully. For some, that is a comforting thought, at least. Death also deems all its guests equal, all those who knock upon its pearly doors are greeted with open arms, from the lowest wretches to the highest kings, all are joined in the White Gardens." He looks towards the heavens as he says his last lines, as if he sees something in the empty sky, before quickly looking back towards the other gods.

"Gaia does not have to be dead to be peaceful, however, but it cannot be unless the gods together make it thus. If you truly think me some low treacherous worm as you mistakenly seem to do, would it not be wisest to have some kind of precaution against such treachery before it happens?"

"And," Ulgan pauses raising his finger as if to make a point "it is never wise to wait until the very moment of disaster to begin to act, this is but one of many lessons a mortal empire has learned from me, for a town consumed by plague is dead already, but one that has plans to halt its advance even before its arrival, lives."

"Gaia too may face a plague, though not one of mine, for recklessness, avarice and hollow pride are great poxes also, let us not allow them to ravage Gaia either."

Aynar
I agree that the laws are the ones that we made , after all we are gods and our word is the law , such is the way in our universe . There is no point in giving the power to judge to other gods , we are not to judge but to do.

"If I might interject" Spoke the god of sorcery Shadaris; who had been until now rather quiet, as he watched the other gods and goddesses bicker over various systems of laws. He had judged the moods of the room, and various proposals, while he came to his own conclusions on the subjects he found pertaining to his own various desires, and visions.

"Ulgan your proposal only a god who creates a species should be able to affect, and receive worship from them concerns me. As you say "A god's creation be protected from the Machinations of other gods." While I do not dispute they should be protected from the schemes of rival gods; I would prefer to gift the power of sorcery to members of any race whose gods would allow it, and allow myself to be worshiped within their pantheon. Should not a creator god have the right to permit another to share a smaller part in their creations in exchange for such a powerful gift as what I offer?" The god of sorcery posed his question to the god of Death, but it was to state his opinion on the matter to all gods, and goddesses present.

Vitos, the Healer
"You may wax lyrical about your meaning for as long as you like, Ulgan, but you have mistaken my implication. We are Gods, brother, not tribal Sheiks dividing a land to be colonised. We are the beginning, and the end, of Gaia's existence. We are not bound by the laws and ethical limitations of mortals. We simply are.

When a fire destroys a city, is the fire at fault? Should Fire be brought before a court of their equals, and judged by a jury of Wind, Earth, and Water, to argue their right to exist? No, I think not. And if that city should build itself from stone instead of wood, so that it would not burn down, by what right can Fire sue the city for tampering with their rights? I, of all us here, by all rights should be hearing this from you, Ulgan, but your quest for control over your fellow deity has blinded you."

Name: Qiion
Sphere: Guarding, Collecting, Observation
Alignment: Stasis
Appearance: Qiion takes the form of a messy, unkempt man with short hair that looks like it's been through a windstorm and tired looking eyes. He is dressed in a simple robe and carries around with him a small sack used to hold whatever he finds and wants to keep.

Biography: Qiion had always been one of the stranger Stasis gods due to the fact he never quite fit in with any of the other realms. He collected various trinkets and creations that would catch his attention from the Flux and Creation realms and appreciated all of the work that went into creating these objects. Qiion wanted to share his collection with the other gods, but, with few exceptions, the gods didn't seem to understand Qiion.

The Destruction gods didn't care about the details about the object they were currently destroying. The Flux gods would warp many of Qiion's trinkets and Qiion had stay awake to make sure more of his collection didn't get stolen by the Flux gods. The Stasis gods didn't appreciate the fact that Qiion would, from their point of view, create an unsightly mess in their realm, as the Stasis Realm is where Qiion stashed his collection. The Creation gods didn't want to look at their past creations as, like an artist, they see flaws undermine their enjoyment of their own work.

With the rumors of gods going to Gaia, Qiion gathered his belongings and ventured into the new land, hoping to find a place where he could enjoy his collection in peace and possibly find someone to share it with.

Ulgan, Lord of Death and Decay
Ulgan turns to face the quiet god, as ever unsure of what to make of it "But of course," he replied "I do not speak of ending cooperation between gods, the contributions of one god to another's creation, if allowed, can give rise to something greater. This I expect you to know well enough, and I do believe your intention on Gaia to be noble ones."

"I speak merely of preventing other gods from forcing their wills upon Gaia, disregarding those of their fellow god. Is that such an unreasonable desire?"

"As for you," Ulgan turns once more to Vitos, "I had not been expecting to be taken as some kind of mongrel, some scoundrel. You wound me." he said as he dragged his open palm across his face, opening cuts and gashes from which a heavy black smoke billows. "It is your hatred that blinds you Vitos, you see me as only some kind of monster, and nothing I can say or do will change that." Ulgan pauses, once more he passes his palm along his scarred visage, this time his wounds close, his boils and rashes disappear and gone is the corpse-like pallor from his skin "I desire no crown over any of the other gods, crowns are heavy, and those that bear them live a pointless struggle to keep them, I only wish to be able to make and unmake in some corner of Gaia in peace from the battles and machinations of other gods. I do not wish for Gaia herself to turn into some prize a foolish god hopes to win..."

Ulgan turns to face away from his accuser, as he turns again, his appearance has returned to that of a familiar putrescent carcass "and yet you ascribe to me low treachery. You may be able to heal rifts in the body, but it is sad to see that rifts in the mind are beyond even your powers. I understand we stand at opposite ends of the proverbial table, but it does not have to be this way, you seem content to vanquish me from this world too, how is it that you do not see that for one of us to destroy the other would be the end for us both?"

Harah, God of Order

The four-headed god of Order and Perfection studied the various deities around it, its mind still focusing on the decidedly 'imperfect' form of the now departed God Guappa. Shifting ever so slightly the alabaster eyes of Harah focused on the deities closest to it.

"I see that the very prospect of laws upset some, whilst others become bogged down in the intricacies of any such negotiations... Perhaps we should proceed in measured steps, making sure to design something that will work for all of us.

I propose all deities acknowledge and respect the neutrality of Tower of the Demiurge, and to harm none of their peers whilst in these hallowed grounds.

If nothing else this shall give us a place where we can discuss and debate any and all matters, firm in the knowledge that we need not call upon our powers against one another... Does this simple codification of the current status-quo meet your approval my brethren?"

Kamahans, Goddess of Wisdom and Knowledge

The Goddess Kamahans who had remained quiet for a time reading a scroll of magic turned to the four headed god "Lord Harah i agree with your proposition it is a good and sound law that i think most of us can agree on"

Tappaa, Lord of Monsters, Patron of their Slayers

Having grown weary of all the chit-chat and mundane nature of his peers, Tappaa had nearly fallen into a great slumber, but with the voice of Harah came an interesting notion. Perking up, Tappaa spoke thusly:

"This Demiurge neutral? Why then, one would need a guardian, a creature most foul to dissuade wrong-doings, a watcher of the Gods..."

He pondered, rapping his finger against his fur-wrapped skull before guffawing.

"Ahah! If I can form a mighty beast to act as guardian within this Tower, then I swear it upon my namesake that I shall stand with the proposition of neutrality. For, I shall conjure a being most frightful! Hiebosch would shiver in his stolen-shoes before thinking to steal or maim in this Tower!"

Hekate, Mother of Love

Would Harah care to define "harm"? I am sure it has different meanings for all of us.

Tappaa, Lord of Monsters, Patron of their Slayers

Having grown weary of all the chit-chat and mundane nature of his peers, Tappaa had nearly fallen into a great slumber, but with the voice of Harah came an interesting notion. Perking up, Tappaa spoke thusly:

"This Demiurge neutral? Why then, one would need a guardian, a creature most foul to dissuade wrong-doings, a watcher of the Gods..."

He pondered, rapping his finger against his fur-wrapped skull before guffawing.

"Ahah! If I can form a mighty beast to act as guardian within this Tower, then I swear it upon my namesake that I shall stand with the proposition of neutrality. For, I shall conjure a being most frightful! Hiebosch would shiver in his stolen-shoes before thinking to steal or maim in this Tower!"

Harah, God of Order
I would define harm as being direct or indirect action taken with intent to inflict physical or mental injury upon the Divine or their creations. Does this satisfy you Hekate?

Blinking slowly, his face looking pained at the mention of creation, Harah slowly nods.

I can see how that could be useful... If we can agree to keep the Demiurge neutral, Lord Tappaa, then I feel that your suggestion would be worthy of deep consideration... I do not enjoy creation, the change of what is is always... upsetting to me, but if our peers see value in having such an arbiter I would suggest that at least one of each path, Creation, Stasis, Destruction, and Flux, invest their energy into the creature to ensure its understanding of all our differences, and its true impartiality.

((OOC-wise, I suppose Emil could actually be the creature for IC purposes!))

Vitos, the Healer
"Ah, crafty Ulgan, do not try to sway this Synod with pity! Had you come here with open arms, with respect for your fellow beings, I would never have dreamed of demeaning your position - and we would have left this council as old friends. No, your first words at this council were not to speak of how we could best co-operate, but how we could best punish those we disapprove of, and cast away those we do not like - even before we knew what laws we were to enforce! Starting discussions of how best to divide Gaia like the Cosmos at large, between worshipers or between lands, fully disregarding why we came to Gaia in the first place. I have no desire for such petty things as the admiration of mortals or my banner above lands - nor should any of us, and so it is foolish to codify this into Sacred Law. If you do not wish for me to treat you with suspicion, then perhaps it would be wise to do us the same respect."

Vitor stamped his hooves furiously, then turned to the others. "The neutrality of this Tower is sacred, that much I can agree on. However a single creature is limited in their ability to protect the sanctity of this Tower. Why not an entire tribe, settled in a sacred city around the tower, empowered by all of our forces equally, so that no army, no greater creature, no force of natural disaster, can slay the Tower's protector entirely?"

Xiuhcoatl, Fire Serpent
A tribe of guardians? Mortals in the only place in Gaia we seem to agree to be sacred and neutral? I think we'd rather do the opposite. No mortal should be allowed near the Tower. No matter if it's creation of one of us, or a natural child of Gaia. Tower is a place for Gods, not for petty beings.

Vitos, the Healer
"Then no defender then. It matters little, so long as this tower is exempt from outside games."

Vitos, the Healer
"Ah, crafty Ulgan, do not try to sway this Synod with pity! Had you come here with open arms, with respect for your fellow beings, I would never have dreamed of demeaning your position - and we would have left this council as old friends. No, your first words at this council were not to speak of how we could best co-operate, but how we could best punish those we disapprove of, and cast away those we do not like - even before we knew what laws we were to enforce! Starting discussions of how best to divide Gaia like the Cosmos at large, between worshipers or between lands, fully disregarding why we came to Gaia in the first place. I have no desire for such petty things as the admiration of mortals or my banner above lands - nor should any of us, and so it is foolish to codify this into Sacred Law. If you do not wish for me to treat you with suspicion, then perhaps it would be wise to do us the same respect."

Vitor stamped his hooves furiously, then turned to the others. "The neutrality of this Tower is sacred, that much I can agree on. However a single creature is limited in their ability to protect the sanctity of this Tower. Why not an entire tribe, settled in a sacred city around the tower, empowered by all of our forces equally, so that no army, no greater creature, no force of natural disaster, can slay the Tower's protector entirely?"

Xiuhcoatl, Fire Serpent
A tribe of guardians? Mortals in the only place in Gaia we seem to agree to be sacred and neutral? I think we'd rather do the opposite. No mortal should be allowed near the Tower. No matter if it's creation of one of us, or a natural child of Gaia. Tower is a place for Gods, not for petty beings.

Vitos, the Healer
"Then no defender then. It matters little, so long as this tower is exempt from outside games."

Harah, God of Order
I feel that a single being, imbued with the divinity of its creators, would be enough to ensure compliance to our goal of peaceful discourse in these halls. The creation of more creatures, mortal or otherwise, seems unneccessary if we combine our strength to form a peer to fairly enforce the peace.

If one of us were to try and fell the protector of the Tower, then that should be warning to us all to protect against the aggressor.

Regardless of whether we have a protector of the Tower or not, it would appear most of the Divines assembled here agree that this place, the Tower of the Demiurge, should be respected as a place of neutrality and peace.

((@Emilersej, would you be able to do a tally of who is in favour and who is against this little vote?))