• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Title

XavierPeanut1

Second Lieutenant
Nov 24, 2018
Banner.png
Robert Baratheon is dead, the realm is at war, and a wilding army marches on the Wall. It is a time of kings, warriors, and schemers. But magic is returning and with it darkness, fire, and death. However, as Westeros and Essos descend into war they fail to remember the oldest warning in history, Winter is Coming...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 1

Chapter 1 – The War of the Five Kings

Robb

10.png

“The King in the North!”
“The King in the North!”
“The King in the North!”

The exultant cries of his bannermen still rang in Robb's ears even though it had been nine months since he had been proclaimed the King in the North by both the Northern Lords and the River Lords. Despite their differences the lords were joined together in common cause by two things, vengeance and loyalty. Robb's father, Eddard Stark, had been murdered by the boy king Joffrey 'Baratheon' under the charges of treason. He claimed that the Hand of the King had attempted to usurp his throne and crown himself as king. As it turned out the truth was rather more salacious.

8.png

1.png

Incest was seen as an abomination in all four corners of Westeros, and Robert's brothers had taken up arms against the supposed bastard to claim their birthright. Birthright was not something Robb was interested in though, he had marched south for one reason, to avenge his father and to rescue his two sisters, Arya and Sansa. However, things had turned out to be more complicated than first thought. Sansa was still betrothed to Joffrey and was being used as a hostage to stop Robb from simply marching on King's Landing. Meanwhile, Arya was missing and believed dead by all those accept their mother, Catelyn Stark. While Robb had never admitted it to anyone, he too believed that his sister was dead.

6.png
5.png

However the war was not just about vengeance any more, it was about securing the independence of the North and the Riverlands. As King of the North and the Trident, Robb needed to prove his legitimacy and pummel the Lannisters into either suing for peace or being destroyed completely. To do this he would need more than just his bannermen, he would need allies. Robert Arryn was the ally Robb wanted most, but his paranoid mother had vowed not to drag the Vale into the increasingly destructive war. The other Lord Paramounts of Westeros were not much good either, the Tyrells of the Reach were sworn to Renly, and the Martells of Dorne were so far remaining neutral. Despite this, help would arrive from an unlikely source.

“My father will bring you the ships you will need,” said Theon, his face beaming with an excited grin. “The Ironborn tire of the Southron kings just as much as the North.” Robb could sense that his friend was remembering famous Ironborn victories as he beseeched his friend to align with his father. “House Greyjoy has the loyalty of the other Houses on the Iron Isles, if my father goes to war they will follow him.”

7.png

Theon's words echoed around Riverrun's great hall, and they seemed to make his proposition all the more tempting. But it was not ships Robb desired, it was soldiers. “How many men does your father command?”

“Thirty-thousand.” An overestimation Robb knew, but if Lord Balon had even half of that then it would swing the war in the North's favour.

“Go to your father and deliver this offer. Fight the Lannisters, bring the sword to the Westerlands, and I will give him the crown he desires.” Robb's command delighted his friend.
“I will your grace.” Theon grinned at Robb, before bowing his head and leaving the hall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.png

“You did what?” Robb's mother was not pleased with the news of Theon's mission to Pyke, and even in the small compartments, Lord Hoster Tully had given Robb his mother's shouts still echoed. “Balon Greyjoy is the most untrustworthy lord in the Seven Kingdoms.” Her disdain for the Ironborn was clear in her voice, and it was not entirely unwarranted. Balon Greyjoy had rebelled against King Robert a decade ago, and it was only after a complete invasion of the Iron Islands that he was finally brought to heel. As his last surviving son, Theon was sent to Winterfell as a hostage to deter Balon from anything to enrage the crown.

“Mother I know that but we need his ships and his men. With the Westerlands unprotected he could sweep over it with ease.” His mother shook her head.

“And what about the North? It's just as unprotected as the Lannister's lands.” It was clear she was thinking of Bran and Rickon, her eyes were beginning to well up and her bottom lip was shaking. Robb awkwardly took her hand and tried to soothe her fears, though he was inexperienced with such matters.

“We still have men in the North, Lord Howland and Lord Wyman are mustering another army-”

“That you plan to send south.” A single tear fell down her cheek when she looked Robb in the eyes with the pleading look of a grieving widow. “Please recall Theon and send someone else.”

Robb clasped his hands softly around his mothers “If anyone is going to convince Balon to our side its Theon.” She shook her head.

“Theon was your father's hostage, just as Sansa is to the Lannisters. He despises us for that.” Robb sighed, feeling like he would never convince his Mother that the alliance was needed.

“The Greyjoys will have to join the war at eventually, and I would rather it was on our side.” When his mother did not respond, Robb let go of her hands and stood up. “You don't have to worry about the Greyjoys anyway.” Robb went over to table and picked up an enclosed scroll. “Renly Baratheon has asked to treat with us, it seems he thinks a mutual accord can be reached.” Robb didn't attempt to hide the scepticism in his voice. “I want you to go as my representative, this scroll is my terms to him.”

Robb's mother wiped the tears from her face finally seemed to regain some composure “what are your terms.”

“The same I offered the Lannisters, the return of my sisters, of Ice, of father's bones, and the complete independence of the North and the Riverlands.” Robb could see that his mother was also sceptical that Renly would accept the terms. “I don't expect him to agree, but we can at least try. We both want Joffrey dead and the Lannisters defeated.”

“He wants his brothers crown and his brother's lands. Taking one of the Seven Kingdoms away from him will only lessen his legitimacy.” His mother stood up and brushed her dress free of hay and loose fibres, all in an attempt to look official. It didn't fool Robb.

“Mother,” Robb said as she turned to leave the room “we will get Sansa back.” All she did was bow her head and exit the room. Robb had never had so much power, and yet he felt more isolated than he had ever been. Both his mother and his best friend, people he had been around for his whole life, were now leaving him. He turned to Grey Wind, who was sleeping next to Robb's bed.

“It's just me and you now.”

2.png

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    482,6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Just avoid doing any deals with the Freys.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 2
Chapter 2 - Of Queens and Ladies

Robb

latest

The sound of the cockerels in Riverrun's courtyard awoke Robb from his deep sleep. As he adjusted his eyes he rose up from the bed and planted his bare feet on the cold flagstones of his bedchamber, quickly rescinding them before finally getting used to the cool stone floor. As he cracked his neck and stretched his legs he remembered the events of last night. A night of jollity, gluttony, and pleasure. A much-needed distraction from the war raging across Westeros. The reason for it was the long-awaited marriage between Robb and one of Lord Walder Frey's daughters. Robb had feared the marriage, not because of the importance of the occasion, but because of the infamous nature of Walder's offspring. Ugly, baseborn, and inbred was what Theon had called them when Robb had made the deal, but as it turned out he couldn't have been more wrong.

A voice came from behind him. “You're awake your grace”. When Robb turned he saw his wife Roslin, who's dazzling looks overwhelmed him yet again. She was barely covering her nakedness with the bedsheets, revealing her delicate figure. She's more like the beautiful maidens from mother's knightly stories, not the child of an old miser Robb thought.

13.png

“You don't have to call me your grace Roslin, we are married. I'm Robb to you.” Robb's soft tone seemed to ease the urgency of his command.

“Sorry Robb, I'm just getting used to this...” she pulled her bedsheets up to her neck as a cold breeze blew through the bed chamber's open window. She looks so innocent. Both Robb and Roslin were of a similar age and Robb had previous experience with women in bed, but from how the bedding ceremony went, Roslin was a virgin just as Lord Walder claimed. Despite being a little bit clumsy, they both enjoyed it and she seemed to relax after spending the evening looking like a scared mouse.

However despite all of this, all Robb could think about was the fateful night that had occurred only two months ago. The taking of the Crag, the arrow in his side, the coupling with Jeyne Westerling. He had vowed to marry her after taking her maidenhead, but the Lords under his command advised against it. “We need the Freys” Lord Rickard Karstark had said “you promised to marry his daughter, if you renege on your deal he will call back his banners.” In his shame Robb had decided that war was more important than honour, and so he left his one-night lover at the Crag. To justify it to himself he thought of his half-brother Jon and his parentage. Father, a man renowned across Westeros for his honour, had fathered a bastard, perhaps it wasn't the end of the world.

11.png

12.png

Hearing the cockerels again, Robb rose from his bed and strode over to the chamber pot. Halfway through pissing in it he looked over to Roslin, who was desperately trying to look at something else. Robb laughed.

“It's alright, we are man and wife now, you will be seeing a lot of my body, as I will see a lot of yours.”

Roslin let out a slim smile. “Yes your gra- I mean Robb.”

Once he was finished he walked over to Roslin and planted a kiss on her forehead. “I know this is strange, for both of us. But you are the Queen in the North now, you are the second most powerful person in the kingdom after me. Your words will carry weight.” His words seem to make her more anxious. “Besides, you will be the most powerful Frey in the world.” Robb's jape caused Roslin to laugh, and she finally loosened her tight grip on her bedsheets.
“I would like to see Lothar's face when he realises that!” as they both laughed the sounds of men training in the yard finally brought Robb back to the real world.

“Well, there are urgent matters for me to attend to.” He stood up and walked over to his clothes, which were strewn across the floor. Roslin slunk out of the bed and her naked body yet again. Robb resisted the urge to gape at her while she dressed, but she knew he was watching.

“Is the King in the North struggling to dress himself?” asked Roslin in a joking manner.

“I was just a bit distracted-”

“Here let me help you.” Roslin walked over to Robb and began to tighten the remaining leather straps on his jerkin, all the while keeping eye contact with him. Once she was done Robb reached down and kissed her on the lips. They both stood there for a while and kissed until a knock came from the door. Annoyed, Robb parted his lips from his wife's and spoke up.

“What is it?”

“It's your mother You Grace, she had returned from Storm's End.” Robb felt a sudden feeling of dread wash over him. He had decided to marry Roslin while she was away, a choice he knew would annoy his mother.

“I am coming...” he looked over at Roslin, whose face was illuminated by the morning sun. “And so is the Queen.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guildwars2-31.jpg

The great hall of Riverrun was much warmer than Robb's bedchambers, though it was unsurprising seeing as the giant fireplace was roaring at full heat. The autumn air was passing the Stark message across all of the Seven Kingdoms, winter is coming.

Robb and Roslin were both warming their hands against the fire when his mother finally entered the room. She was flanked by two Tully guards, both of whom looked like they were in past their fiftieth name day. All the fighting men were already in the field, so the holdfasts of the Riverlands looked to old men and boys to man the battlements.

“Your Grace,” Robb's mother said as she bowed to him. Her words were cold and formal, Robb didn't like it.”

“Mother you may rise, you have no need-”

“I wasn't doing it for you.” His mother turned her gaze to Roslin, who looked like a rabbit who had been caught by a fox. “It's so nice to meet you, my Queen.”

“Likewise Lady Catelyn, my father has told me a lot about you.” Roslin's polite words and polite tone didn't seem to soften the Lady of Winterfell's cold scowling face.

“I bet he has Your Grace, I bet he has...” The Tullys and the Freys had been at odds for centuries, but it was Lord Walder's blatant ambition that had soured relations even further.

Robb wanted to change the subject “mother how was your trip to the Stormlands, I pray you bring good tidings.”

She finally turned to Robb “sad to say I do not.”

Robb had expected Renly to reject his the terms. “I thought that would be the case, Renly is too ambitious for his own good-”

“Renly is dead.”

“Dead?” asked Roslin, who was in pure disbelief. “How did he die?”

Robb's mother's hands shook as she remembered what had happened “he was murdered, but not by a man.”

“By who?”

“By a shadow with the face of Stannis Baratheon.”. Despite his mother's severity, Robb laughed when he heard her claim.

“Alright this some elaborate joke, isn't it mother?” she shook her head.

“I saw it with my own two eyes, just as I see you two now.” Her face was white with terror, and it was clear whatever she was claiming had in fact happened.

Roslin walked over to her mother in law and took her hand. “It's okay my lady, you are safe now” she turned to Robb, her eyes wide with worry. “we will take care of you.”

“Thank you Your Grace,” said mother as she smiled at Roslin. It seems Roslin's charms are working on everyone Robb thought as he saw the two finally embrace each other

When they let go of each other, Robb's mother turned to him. “So what do we do? Treat with Stannis?”

Robb shook his head. “No, the time for treating is over. Tywin strengthens his armies around Harrenhal by the day, and it won't be long before he decides to marshal his forces in the Westerlands towards Riverrun.”

14.png

“Have you had any word from Theon?”

“None.” Robb's mother once again looked worried, and truth be told he was too. It had been a good four weeks since Robb had sent Theon to the Iron Isles, and he had hoped to hear something by now. By his reputation, it wasn't above Balon Greyjoy's reputation to imprison his own son. However, he could not admit his mistake in front of his mother. “I'm sure we will hear something soon.”

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Robb is showing a certain impetuosity with the decision of Theon and now his marriage.

Reactions:
Robb is showing a certain impetuosity with the decision of Theon and now his marriage.

Being impetuous has it's place, but the game of thrones has a habit of ending those who are too rash and arrogant to notice their own failures. Hopefully this Robb won't fall into the trap of his canon counterpart.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Kings and Kingslayers

Robb

kieran-belshaw-riverrun-drawbridgetower-v011a.jpg

It was mid-morning by the time Robb had finally gone out to Riverrun's courtyard. Stark soldiers trained as Tully guards watched on with silent amazement. The Riverlanders were close to collapsing when Robb arrived with the Northern army, and many in the Riverlands were thankful for their aid. Even with the arrival of the Northern army though, the Riverlands had been thoroughly ravaged by the Lannisters. Gregor Clegane, that was name Robb had heard time and time again, at it was the man his father had ordered Beric Dondarrion to arrest.

Despite claims saying he had been killed multiple times, Lord Beric had always appeared once again, leading his motley band called the Brotherhood Without Banners. The Brotherhood was technically not aligned to Robb's cause, but they had been helpful to each other on many occasions. It was well known that the Lannister soldiers had orders to rape, burn, and slaughter as much as they could, all in a hope to weaken the resolve of the Riverlanders. The Brotherhood was their light, their beacon of hope, and despite Lord Bolton's insistence that they be dealt with, Robb had no desire to destroy them.

As he walked through the courtyard, Robb was flanked by his direwolf, Grey Wind. For Roslin's peace of mind, Robb had put Grey Wind in a kennel for the night. Despite his worries, Grey Wind didn't seem to begrudge Robb's decision in the morning, and when they reunited he was as attentive as ever. Eventually, they reached Robb's squire, Olyvar Frey, who was training with his much older nephew, Ser Tytos Frey.

15.png
203770_20181126204224_1.png

“There seems to Frey's around every corner it seems.” Robb's jape alerted Olyvar and Tytos to his presence, and the two bowed.

“Indeed Your Grace,” said Ser Tytos as he rose back up, “my wife says we are like rabbits.”

Olyvar smiled “well you look like one.” He received a slap on the back his head from his nephew for his insult, though what he said was true. His long droopy ears looked like they belonged to a hare, not a man.

“Olyvar your nephew is an anointed knight, treat him with respect.” Robb's words caused Olyvar to lose his smile, though he looked more sorry than scalded.

“Yes Your Grace, I will not do it again.”

This time Tytos smiled “make sure you don't, or I will send you back to the Twins with a smacked arse.” As Tytos laughed, Robb's thoughts drifted off to more pressing matters, his prisoner.

“Was the Kingslayer quiet last night?” asked Robb, though he knew the answer already.

“No he was not Your Grace” answered Tytos “he continued to mock the guards you placed around him. I believe he brought up the Karstark boys.”

“Gods...” ever since Jaime Lannister had killed Torrhen and Eddard Karstark at Whispering Wood, Robb's men were baying for his blood. It seemed the Kingslayer knew of the conflict and was trying to stir it up. Robb knew he would have to talk with the prisoner. “I will see him.”

Ser Tytos looked at Olyvar with unease before bowing his head. “Yes Your Grace.”

203770_20181124110038_1.png

The first thing that hit Robb when he arrived at the cell was the stench. The Kingslayer had been purposely left in dire conditions, a small consolation to the Stark soldiers who wanted him dead. Left outside in the cold and the rain, little to no food, and no bucket to shit or piss in, the Kingslayer was in a sorry state. Ser Jaime, caked in his own filth, looked up at Robb when he entered.

“Ah, the King in the North!” his mocking tone seemed to delight Ser Jaime, much like a pig delighting in its own farts. “It's so nice for you to come down and see me, Your Grace, sorry I couldn't clean up the place before your visit.”

“Enjoying yourself, Kingslayer?” asked Robb as he inspected the foetid rags Ser Jaime was dressed in. The faint outline of the once golden Lannister sigil on his rotten jerkin was barely visible.

“As much as one can when surrounded by humourless Northerners.” The guards exchanged looks but did not react to Ser Jaime's taunts. “I hear you were married last night to one of Lord Walder's charming daughters. Don't worry, I made toasts to your health and to your happiness.”

“I'm honoured.”

“I bet you are.” Ser Jaime looked at Robb with a wry smile and probing eyes, with the obvious intent to see Robb's state of mind. “So I here Renly is dead. Did Loras finally stab him a bit too hard?” Not above the Kingslayer to speak ill of the dead thought Robb as Ser Jaime chuckled. “I feel sorry for you, Renly may have actually agreed terms with you.”

Robb shook his head. “We didn't need Renly.”

“Really? Tell me, when the fighting in the south is over and either Joffrey or Stannis wins, who's going to offer you peace? Because Joffrey surely won't, and that boor Stannis wants all of his brother's lands.”

Robb moved closer to Ser Jaime, trying his hardest not to react to the Kingslayer's condescending tone. “When I take King's Landing and mount your bastard son's head above the Red Keep, we will see how long Stannis keeps to that notion of victory.”

Ser Jaime laughed. “You are certainly a bold one, boy. You could take the Iron Throne if you want.” He raised his head like a peacock “Robb of House Stark, First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men. Has a certain ring to it I suppose.” Once again he chuckled, but of all things Robb wanted, the cursed mantle of the Iron Throne was not one of them.

“When I see what that wretched throne has done to the people who have sat on it, to men like Aerys and Robert, I want no part of it.”

“You despise kingship yet claim dominion over the North?”

“I was proclaimed King in the North by men who believe in me. I did not take it by force.”

Ser Jaime didn't chuckle this time, he only looked away towards the battlements of Riverrun's tall drum towers, his eyes wistful with memory. “While I was here, bored, I was thinking about when I was your age. I had just joined the Kingsguard and had all the confidence and boldness you have now.” He turned back to Robb, his face noticeably darker. “I quickly learnt that the world has no place for that.”

“Imprisonment made you introspective, Kingslayer?”

The knight ground his teeth with yet another mention of his nickname. “You really think Kingslayer makes me feel insulted?” He once again let out an arrogant smile, though this time it felt more forced than natural. “It's my crowning achievement.”

It was Robb's turn to be condescending. “What an accolade, stabbing the King you had sworn to protect in the back and sitting on his throne as you allowed a mother to see her children be murdered before being raped and killed.”

This time Ser Jaime wasn't laughing. “The Mad King killed your grandfather and uncle, I avenged them-”

“You did it to protect your own hide, just like your father.” For once Ser Jaime had no reply to that, he simply slouched back on his pole and sulked. Robb waited for a retort, an excuse, anything. But he remained quiet. Confident Ser Jaime's thirst for conversation was sated, Robb left the cell and proceeded to head back into Riverrun's halls, still thinking on all that had been said. However, before he got to his destination he was stopped by Riverrun's Maester.

“Yes what is it?” asked Robb as the Maester bowed.”

“My lord, I raven has arrived from Winterfell.” he produced a scroll from his sleeve and passed it to Robb. The seal was his own, which meant it must have come from Bran or Maester Luwin, which also meant it was urgent. When he read the contents he knew why.

203770_20181124110425_1.png

Theon had betrayed them.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I did a Robb AGOT game a while back. I was unusually lucky during Robb's reign (less so later) - easily beat Joffrey and Co, beat the Ironborn and even easily beat the Others (also a random Tyrell invasion later on).

Of course, this is CK2 and AGOT, so I suspect my run of luck will not bear out on your game. Either way, your writing of it all is quite well so so far.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, now Robb has some hard work ahead of him.

Reactions:
I did a Robb AGOT game a while back. I was unusually lucky during Robb's reign (less so later) - easily beat Joffrey and Co, beat the Ironborn and even easily beat the Others (also a random Tyrell invasion later on).

Of course, this is CK2 and AGOT, so I suspect my run of luck will not bear out on your game. Either way, your writing of it all is quite well so so far.

I did a test playthough before I started this AAR and tried to play as close as I could to book Robb, and I narrowly won. Too bad he was killed a year later when fighting the War for the Dawn.

Also Daenaerys bugged out and ended up stuck in Vaes Tolorro and Robin Arryn became King of Westeros.

Well, now Robb has some hard work ahead of him.

I was crossing my fingers all the way up to the event popping that Theon and the Ironborn would attack Tywin. Oh well, Robb needs some more tragedy in his life

The Iornborn will pay there precious Iorn price for this betrayal :mad:

They will see how the North deals with invaders!

Reactions:
Chapter 4
Chapter 4 - The New Queen
Roslin

13.png

Roslin had been at Riverrun for barely a week and she had seen every side of her husband's personality. His jovial attitude at feasts, his caring nature in private, and his rapturous fury when bad news returned from the front. While she was wary around him in his more angry moments, she was never scared. Unlike a lot of men, Robb was able to control his anger, knowing when to bottle it up or when to release it. He must have got it from his father thought Roslin, the Tullys do not possess such talent.

Prior to the war, Tully and Frey relations were at an all-time low. Roslin's father, Lord Walder, and Robb's grandfather, Lord Hoster, had been enemies since Roslin could remember, with her father's cautiousness during Robert's Rebellion being the latest in a long line of insults to their Tully overlords. I was well known that her father desired the title of Lord Paramount of the Trident, and she knew that it was more than likely that had Robert Baratheon lost at the Trident, her father would have declared for the Mad King. While she had little love for her father, and she was sure he had little love for her prior to her marriage, she couldn't bring herself to denounce that line of thinking. The rebel's victory was far from certain, and it was known across the realm that if they lost, most of the Houses would be destroyed root-and-stem like the Darklyns and the Reynes. But the past didn't matter, and besides she was a Frey no more, she was a Stark. Her loyalties now lay with Winterfell, not the Twins.

Today was a big day for Roslin, for the first time she was to accompany Robb to his war council, the first of its kind since Robb was declared king. However this time it would not end in exultant lords and a new king, for it was called to deal with the dire news from the North. It had turned out that Balon Greyjoy was every inch the nave the stories said he was and had crowned himself Iron King once more, his eyes firmly placed on the seemingly vulnerable lands of the North. What had made this news even more distressing was that Ned Stark's old ward and Robb's best friend, Theon Greyjoy, was one of those leading the reavers.

“Damn him!” Robb had shouted when he told Roslin the news. “He was my friend and he betrayed me!” In the privacy of their bedchambers, Robb cried as Roslin hugged him, slowly rubbing his back as they embraced. There are fewer betrayals worse than one from a friend, and even a man as hard as Robb could be hurt from it. It had taken a few days for Robb to recover from it, but when he did he returned to the stern commander of men that she had heard about when their betrothal was first announced. With the recovery came the calls for a war council in order to deal with the new threat.

When Roslin arrived at the great hall for the council she found that she had been one of the last to arrived. In the middle of the hall was a long table with a map of Westeros and three large decanters of wine. Around the table stood the other council members, who were all quietly talking to each other in hushed tones. She recognised many of them despite the fact she had only known them for a week or so. There was Lords Brynden and Edmure Tully, both representatives of old Lord Hoster who was bedridden. Next to them were Lord Rickard Karstark and Roslin's 'uncle', Black Walder. In truth he was her nephew, but he was nearly two decades older than her and far more experienced with the world. He was there to represent her father and House Frey as a whole, though many Freys wanted him dead. On the opposite side of the table were the Robb's master-of-arms Rodrick Cassel, Lady Catelyn, and the master-of-whisperers Roose Bolton.

“May I present her grace, Roslin of House Stark, Queen of the North and the Trident” the plump announcer's bellowing voice alerted all to her presence. As if in unison the assembled councillors bowed, though some went lower than others.

“You may rise,” Roslin said in an almost meek voice. “Thank you for giving me such a warm welcome.”

Rodrick Cassel bowed his head again “it's an honour, Your Grace.”

203770_20181128144431_1.png

Lord Bolton let out a wry smile at Rodrick's words, though it seemed like smiling was something his thin pale lips struggled to. “Indeed it is an honour, Your Grace, to find a queen so modest in attitude yet so illustrious in looks is a rare thing these days.” He smiled yet again, though this time he stared right at her with his pale eyes. Something about Lord Bolton unnerved Roslin, although she couldn't quite nail down why. Sure his manners were as strange as his looks, but that wasn't what was bothering her. She felt like his were words felt like they had a thousand meanings behind them, and she would never find out what all of them are.

203770_20181128144332_1.png

Roslin could see that Lady Catelyn sensed what effect Lord Bolton was having, her eyes were also concentrated on him. “Lord Bolton, what news do your spies bring from the North?” He finally broke eye contact and looked towards Catelyn.

“As you know I have no spies in any places, my lady” a lie Roslin knew, and so did her mother-in-law.

“That may be my lord, but all the same, what do they say?”

Lord Bolton sighed “the Ironborn have landed on the Stony Shore in small numbers and have been raiding villages in the area. Though sightings from Bear Island suggest a larger Ironborn force is sailing for Deepwood Motte. If they take it-”

“They will be able to march on Winterfell,” said Robb as he strode into the room, the swagger Roslin had seen on her wedding day on full display. When he reached her, he gently put his hand on her back and kissed her on the cheek. For a moment they stared at each other and Roslin felt the heat rise in her cheeks as she blushed. Unlike many of her sisters and cousins who shamefully were often losing their virginity to their own siblings, she had saved her maidenhead for her wedding day in the hopes of finding the right man. It had only been a week, but it looked like her gamble had paid off.

“Ahem,” Lady Catelyn's feigned coughing finally brought them back into the room. When they turned to the assembled lords, they all had embarrassed smiles on their faces, even the humourless Black Walder.

Lord Brynden pointed towards the map on the table. “Your Grace, shall we get down to business?”

203770_20181124110543_1.png

Robb looked back at Roslin for a moment, smiled, and then answered. “Yes uncle, we shall.”

Everyone in the room assembled around the map of Westeros that was laid out on the table. On it were little wooden models shaped in the style of different House sigils. All across the Riverlands were Stark, Tully, Frey, Bolton, Karstark, Bracken, Blackwood, and Mallister sigils. At Harrenhal was a Lannister sigil, signifying Lord Tywin's continued stay at the ruined castle, and on King's Landing was both a lion and a crowned stag. In the North, the sigils were spread out far less, with the majority of them centred around Winterfell. Men from Houses Stark, Umber, Reed, Manderly, Mormont, Ryswell, Dustin, and Glover made up the main bulk of the army. As she looked around the map Lord Edmure added three new models, all shaped as the Greyjoy Kraken.

Robb began to place them around the map “as you have heard from Lord Bolton, the Ironborn have been spotted all along the western coast.” He placed one of the models at the south of the Stony Shore near the Rills. “Ryswell scouts report that a small force barely two thousand strong are raiding a few miles south of their lands. They say these reavers are both green boys and old men, most likely a decoy or a distraction.” Another model was placed, this time at the north of the Stony Shore. “Glover scouts say that a similar sized force composed of similar looking reavers have been raiding in this area. Again I believe them to be a distraction.” Finally, Robb placed a Greyjoy sigil in the straits between Bear Island and Deepwood Motte. “ Both Glover and Mormont scouts have reported sightings of a large Ironborn fleet sailing into this area and heading towards the Motte. They obviously plan to take it as a base of operations so they can advance toward Winterfell.”

When Robb had finished his report, Lord Karstark grunted and raised his beak-like nose towards his liege. “Do your scouts report on who the commanders are?”

203770_20181128144422_1.png

“Not all of them, but the personal banners of Victarion Greyjoy, Asha Greyjoy, Gorold Goodbrother, and Dagmer Cleftjaw have all been seen flying from masts.”

“What of the turncloak?” asked Lord Bolton, his voice unemotional and cold.

Rodrick Cassel's face twisted with disgust with the mention of the traitor “I promise you, your grace if I see Theon Greyjoy I will put his head on Winterfells battlements myself!”

Roslin turned to Robb, worried about what the mention of Theon would do to him. Instead, he was stern and cold, closer to Roose Bolton than Cassel. “There had been no sightings of him so far.”

Lady Catelyn shook her head “Theon is closer to his father than we thought, he won't dare step foot in the North after what he's done. Perhaps there's hope that he feels a sliver of shame for his actions.” Robb seemingly ignored what his mother said and turned his head back towards the map. Roslin knew why he had ignored it, he couldn't bring himself to talk about it.

“The forces Lord Reed and Lord Manderly were marshalling around Winterfell bring south are now to be used against the Ironborn” Robb reached over to map and pulled three models up the Trident. “To bolster the army even further, six thousand northerner soldiers will also be sent back up the Neck to deal with reavers.”

“But what about the Lannisters?” asked Lord Edmure, his frowning face revealing his scepticism towards the plan.

203770_20181128144416_1.png

“We currently have them on the back foot, and they are still struggling against Stannis. That gives us time to breathe. If we let the Ironborn take the North then this war is lost.”

Black Walder, who had been quiet for the entire meeting, finally spoke up. “What about the army in the south?”

“The remaining eight thousand northern soldiers will be joined by the entirety of the riverlander host.” Robb, with the help of Ser Brynden, pushed all the remaining sigils in the Riverlands together and shoved it eastwards. “Once the forces are combined I will march on Harrenhal and root out Tywin Lannister, forcing him to fight or retreat.”

Black Walder nodded but still didn't seem convinced, his furrowed eyebrows slightly twitching as he thought. “Who will be leading these armies?”

“The relief force will be led by Ser Rodrick.” The news delighted the elderly master-of-arms, who grinned when he heard the news. “On my march towards Harrenhal I will be joined by Ser Brynden and Lord Umber.” Robb finally rose up and stood tall once again. “Hopefully we can deal with the Ironborn and the Lannisters in a single swift stroke.”

The councillors bowed, and all took their leave. Nearly all of them left silently with the meetings information still processing in their heads. It was only the happy Roderick who was conversing, this time to Lady Catelyn.

“I'll bring your good tidings to Bran and Rickon my lady.” Ser Roderick said as he slowly walked with Lady Stark.

“Thank you, Ser Roderick, that is most kind.” She patted Ser Roderick on the back before continuing the journey out of the great hall. Roslin listened to them until she could hear no more before turning to her husband. He was hunched over the map again, his eyes fixated on the Ironborn in the North.

Assuming that he was thinking about strategy, Roslin turned to leave but was stopped when Robb suddenly spoke up. “Roslin I would like a word if I could.” When she turned she saw him walking toward one of the large windows at the side of the hall.

“Of course Robb” Roslin answered as she walked over to him. When she was finally next to him he put his hand round her shoulder and gently pulled her next to him. When Roslin rested her head on her husband's shoulder, she could hear that his heart was beating fast.

“I wanted to tell you something in private,” he said as he looked out the window and towards the river “Away from prying eyes of Lord Bolton and your cousin.” Good thought Roslin, Black Walder was never to be trusted, even for a Frey he was untrustworthy. As for Lord Bolton, well there was just a creepy aura around him, one filled with coldness and ruthlessness. It seemed Robb sensed it as well.

“What is it?” she asked as she too looked out across the Red Fork, it's waters filled with Tully longships and fishing boats.

“I know we've been married for only a week but...I need to know that you are safe, which is something I can't guarantee right now whilst you are here.”

“Riverrun is one of the safest places in the Seven Kingdoms.”

Robb sighed. “Yes but if I'm captured by the Lannisters, or killed-”

“Don't say that” exclaimed Roslin as she whipped her towards Robb. He carried on looking out the window.

“If I am, I don't want you to be taken by them as well. You know Tywin's reputation.” She did. The fate of House Reyne and Tarbeck had become legend, and the Targaryen's spectacular downfall was down to him as well. Now all that was left of the mighty dragon lords was a young girl married to a Dothraki horselord half a world away.

“So where am I going? The Twins?”

Robb shook his head. “No, you are going to Winterfell.”

Roslin's chest tightened, her palms began to sweat. She had feared the day when she would finally go North, to freezing tundra wastes filled with heathen half-wildlings. At least that was what Lothar said it was like.

Roslin's eyes began to well up with tears, though she managed to keep her voice stable. “Winterfell? But it's so far away.”

“Exactly!” Shouted Robb in an almost jovial manner. “Far from the war and far from the Lannisters.” When he had turned to see her, Roslin had begun to silently cry. When she noticed her husband looking at her, she began to desperately wipe away the tears. I don't want to look weak! She told herself. Robb let out a sympathetic smile and began to gently stroke her hair. “ Look I know it will be strange, but Winterfell is the safest place for you. With Ser Roderick up there it will be even safer...” Roslin tried to smile but it didn't seem to convince Robb who reached down and pecked her on the cheek. “Think of it this way, you get to meet my charming brothers.”

Roslin feigned excitement, letting out a forced cheeky smile. Before Robb could react, Grey Wind trotted in and began to brush his nose against his master's hand. Robb let go of Roslin and crouched low, scratching his direwolf around the ears.

“Do all of you Starks have those cursed direwolves?” asked Roslin in a joking manner as she too began to stroke Grey Wind, though much more warily than Robb's aggressive petting.

“Yes, and believe it or not, Grey Wind is the tamest.”

Gods
thought Roslin will I get any sleep?

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: