• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hahaha I love this! Many thanks @Bullfilter your comments are hopeful and apt. Better a porker than something wrong with your pork bayonet eh? :D I am hoping the young man turns out alright. He has big shoes to fill in his mother, however, that’s for sure.
:D I was going to say “spot on”, but then thought I shouldn’t :eek:. Oops, can I edit that out? ;)

This is just brilliant work and what a narrative flow. Congratulations all around ;)
Hey! Welcome aboard to a newbie and thanks so much. Comments are the lifeblood of any AAR writer. Stay with me and I’ll hope to bring you much more

Hey! Welcome aboard to a newbie and thanks so much. Comments are the lifeblood of any AAR writer. Stay with me and I’ll hope to bring you much more

I don't know about a newbie I've been reading AAR's for 3 years now and even made an attempt at one, once upon a time... (the move from the old servers wiped most of it out and the game updates finished it for good) but you've inspired me to try again. Please do keep going ;)

I don't know about a newbie I've been reading AAR's for 3 years now and even made an attempt at one, once upon a time... (the move from the old servers wiped most of it out and the game updates finished it for good) but you've inspired me to try again. Please do keep going ;)
Ahhh my mistake @LordVader92, I was lookin* at your rank and assumed. As they used to say to me in the army ‘assumption is the mother of all f**k ups!’ :D

Welcome to this AAR anyway my friend!

AAs they used to say to me in the army ‘assumption is the mother of all f**k ups!’ :D

Incidentally, I learned it as "When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME." ;)

Incidentally, I learned it as "When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME." ;)

They tell us the same thing about eyeballing in cadets. Apparently just because you can conceivably do it doesn't mean you should...

I didn't actually notice the ranks on the forum until it clicked that you needed above a certain limit to make your own. And yet I still have no idea what mine would be. I have a feeling I might just stick it on captain forever.

They tell us the same thing about eyeballing in cadets. Apparently just because you can conceivably do it doesn't mean you should...

I didn't actually notice the ranks on the forum until it clicked that you needed above a certain limit to make your own. And yet I still have no idea what mine would be. I have a feeling I might just stick it on captain forever.
Yeah that’s what I’ve recently realised. Good call.

Good news guys is that I intend to get the next chapter up this weekend-watch this space!

Chapter 32, the port town of Dover, 27th January 944 AD

‘You must hurry my lady,’ the red-faced prelate wheezed as the small party wound its way up from the market. That is where they had been taking their ease buying victuals and mingling with the townsfolk, when word had reached them of the Queen’s arrival.

The young, fur-covered woman who moved at the head of the group, nonetheless seemed unflustered. Not something that could be said for her attendants; another younger priest and an old gentleman attired in the Norse, rather than Saxon fashion. Bringing up the rear was a doughty looking fellow carrying the chain of office of a mayor of these parts.

‘Where is Bishop Thurfrith?’ The woman asked hurriedly as they crossed the town’s main street, their accompanying men at arms rudely barging any surprised townsfolk out of the way with shouts of ‘make way! Make way for your Duchess!’ Surprise there was at their rough handling but also surprise at the pronouncements for there had been no Duke or Duchess around these parts for many a year – their own having twice been proclaimed traitor and languishing in a royal prison until the end of his days.

‘Chancellor Thurfrith is with the queen my lady,’ the rotund and hard breathing Bishop responded

‘Welcoming them with unctuous platitudes no doubt,’ growled the old Norse man.

‘Please Fredrik be gracious’ the lady said softly, but firmly, ‘you are my husband and consort-Duke of Kent by marriage and a Commander of this great Duchy-act like it!’

This firm and assertive put-down elicited a grumbled response but the Duke cast his eyes away, seemingly cowed by his spirited wife.

Duchess Ætheræda of Kent, daughter of Werestan and Gwenasedd, had only had seventeen days to become accustomed to her newfound status as one of the pre-eminent Barons of the realm but that was where she was at, like it or not, on the death of her traitor father on the Feast Day of Saint Gregory, just over a fortnight previously, when the snows were fresh on the ground and the country-at large was still trying to shake off the excesses of Yuletide.

As the Ducal residence finally came into view and they had to slow their pace for they were on a patch of road that had not been salted to dispel the snow and ice, the duchess turned to the Mayor, ‘Aelle, you are my Spymaster-why are we only now hearing of the queen’s arrival?’

The mayor chuffed, ‘my people in Winchester were blindsided my lady-the queen, it seemed, surprised the Court with this trip as is her wont.’

‘This will not do sir-I rely on you to appraise me in advance of such. What disposition does she come with? Is she in good humour-I have heard rumour that her mind is failing?’

Aelle shook his head grimly, ‘I know not her disposition at the now, my lady and am truly sorry but I can assure you her mind is as sharp as ever it was-anything else is conjecture spread by her enemies. As for her intent, I would assume that she has come to check on her investment…’

Cryptic words but they served to silence the party as they finally approached the main entrance of the Villa and moving past the royal party, horses, Huscarls and attendants, all muddying the yard.

The duchess, all single-minded purpose, flung her furs at a servant and snapped to those at hand, ‘I will need to change sirs-see to our royal guest, let her know that I will be in attendance presently.’ And at that she and her husband swept off to their quarters.

MBRLD4.png

Ah she likes me well enough

In the atrium, Queen Wulfryth was taking her ease with her ladies in waiting-a roaring fire in the hearth keeping the spacious room warm. She had been accompanied also by Æthelric, Duke of Mercia, Advisor to the royal person and the most powerful magnate in England with the possible exception of the Lady whose Villa they were now causing such a stir in. The duke had now seen a venerable sixty-one summers but was still vigorous of mind even though stooped. His appointment, in place of the dear departed Commander Beorhtwine, was a shrewd one for it had signalled to the duke’s warring Iceling clan that any injury to her Advisor was likely to be seen as an attack on the queen herself and would bring all her righteous wrath down on the miscreants.

‘…over a thousand pounds of gold my lady-a prodigious sum to spend on building works,’ the old man was saying.

Queen Wulfryth was herself old and recent personal losses had done nothing to lessen the cares she bore on her royal shoulders but she, nonetheless, carried a bright and active look about her mien. She smiled at this last; ‘Steward Mishael has amassed much more my lord-never have I seen such bounteous treasures pour into our coffers-that trading expedition to-what was the Chieftain’s name?’

44PxVv.png

How do you pronounce your name again fella?

‘High Chief Sulev…of Livonia my queen’ the Duke noted smoothly.

ZPWEEZ.png

Show me the money!!

‘The very one my lord-the very one’ Wulfryth said motioning an attendant to replace her goblet of steaming spiced wine. ‘Nonetheless England grows rich so it is seemly I invest some of that coin in our infrastructure think you not?’

The duke nodded reluctantly, ‘the Jew grows arrogant my liege-he should mind his way lest those wings he has grown under your beneficence are clipped…’

qWeeG4.png

Now don't get cocky!

Wulfryth appraised the duke closely and pointedly before saying coldly, ‘I trust that was not a veiled threat my lord duke? Steward Mishael is a principle officer of the crown and therefore inviolate. Need I remind you, or any who encompass harm to him, for that matter, the fate that befell a whole village who foully murdered my forebear’s pet Jew-also Steward?’

Æthelric chuffed at the rebuttal, ‘I speak not of myself my lady but the point is nonetheless well taken…’

The air hung heavy for a while at that and as both Duke and Queen struggled to find a way to break the ice again they were rescued by the fanfare of the arrival, finally, of their host, who was introduced by Kent’s urbane Chancellor, Bishop Thurfrith of Saint Albans.

‘My queen may I introduce you to her grace, Duchess Æthelræda of Kent and her husband, Duke Fredrik.’

All stood silent in both parties as the younger of the two women approached. The duchess was dressed in a heavy white cotton shift bordered with black sable fur, high bosom and a traditional Saxon head covering: she had eschewed the blue felt cap that was hers to wear by right as Duchess regnant of Kent. Her sovereign was dressed for the part, high crimson and white chemise bordered with black velvet, gloved and with a heavy fur mantle. Atop her brow a gleaming gold circlet, rather than a crown-she was at her authoritative best.

Æthelræda knelt low and offered her clasped palms to her queen. Wulfryth took them in between hers in the age-old symbol of obeisance.

‘I accept your oath of fealty my lady’ she intoned graciously, then added, smiling: ‘now come. Walk with me’ and with nary a backward glance took the surprised younger women in hand, perambulating towards the spacious peristyle towards the rear of the villa. Attendants on both sides looked to follow on but were stopped by a look from the queen: this was to be a private talk.

Clasping their furs close around them against the frigid north wind that was blowing they moved into the generously colonnaded vestibule. Wulfryth had the younger woman’s hand tight in hers and started hesitantly, ‘your father…’

‘Was a traitor’ Æthelræda completed the sentence, then added, ‘twice over.’ Was that relief that flashed across the queen’s creased features? The duchess looked up into her liege’s face and said earnestly, ‘I did not know my father-only vague memories from when I was but a child. My mother it is the same. Some small recollections…she was kind I think…’

You are yet kind too girl,’ Wulfryth opined, ‘though methinks that such milk will soon curdle under the heat of the realities of ruling in a man’s world.’

The Duchess was thoughtful, ‘mayhap…’

Wulfryth gripped her hand ever closer, ‘and yet I am hard no?’ A shrug, ‘that is the price you will have to pay to get their respect my lady duchess…it is a steep one I assure you.’

Their?’

‘The men!’ Wulfryth snapped with impatience, ‘think you that any of your advisors or your husband for that matter will be content to be ruled by such as yourself - a mere girl? I think not!’

Æthelræda bristled despite herself, said with some restraint ‘my councillors know their places madam-I have already set out as such…’

Wulfryth laughed her high, tinkling laugh but it was not one of malice, more a deep irony with more than a hint of condescension. ‘They might pretend to accede, Æthelræda of Kent, but look to their actions-you rule a proud demesne, granted to your grandfather by my father for loyal service to the crown, there are those who would not wish to bow to the rule of woman.’

‘Mayhap in the kingdom itself my queen, things, here, are different I am sure. I have grown up with these men. They are leal’ the duchess shot back firmly-it felt like they were locked into some kind of battle of wills and it was important not to show weakness. Besides she had her pride to consider.

‘You have too much faith girl. My cynicism has been forged in the fires of betrayal and insubordination-I have even had cause to resort to playing the madwoman most recently to be feared…’ A wry smile, ‘but yet I admire your generosity of spirit-let us see how long it may last.’

They continued on in silence for a while, coming around for a second circuit, boots crunching in the snow, ever mindful of the queen’s guard, silently shadowing them at a respectful distance.

At last Wulfryth once more broke the impasse: ‘I am ever mindful that you stand to inherit your mother’s vast northern domains…they will make you England’s pre-eminent peer. What say you to that madam?’

With firm eye Æthelræda replied, ‘not quite so vasty after you nibbled off the great shire of Lancaster my queen.’

5iBVRL.png

I'll have that back thanks you high blown strumpet!

If this was meant to rile the queen it had the opposite effect and Wulfryth merely chuckled, ‘what is it the West Franks like to say? Touché.’ But in a trice the smile was gone and she was all serious intent again; ‘I will forego warring with your dam again seeing as you stand to gain all and our northern counties will finally be returned to Saxon hegemony but I expect something in return from you girl.’

Æthelræda’s belligerence was gone-the contemplation of just what the older woman had needed to sacrifice to survive as queen was a sobering one-even it was at the expense of one if not both of her parents. They were not people she had known, her guardians had been hand-picked by the queen-the writ of Wulfryth was all that she had known. ‘Name it sire-I am ever at your service.’

‘Your loyalty girl. Not only for me but to my son as well and down the ages. I grow old and know not how many more years I am to rule.’ The queen looked wistful, of a sudden, as if somehow wishing herself younger. ‘I know, for instance, that your lord husband esteems me not-have heard he has temptations back to his old religious practices. This compact is between me and you: two powerful women ruling in amity. Will you be true to it madam and bend your will and your power to service of the crown?’

With gleaming eye her charge once more knelt and bowed low, ‘my queen you have my word.’

‘Then I am satisfied-right enough. Rise my lady-we will be firm friends methinks…’

bGTr1D.png

Queen Wulfryth takes gifts from Duchess Æthelræda (artists impression)

At that point they spied the Duke of Mercia hurrying out from within. He approached, gave perfunctory bow before announcing news; ‘my lady a great force of Bretons have landed in Deheubarth.’

Wulfryth was surprised, in spite of herself. South Wales was now a tributary, their young king having been brought to heel and forced to pay a proportion of their income to England-an attack on that country was effectively an attack on her realm itself.

‘The same Bretons that have taken a large part of Hibernia?’ She asked with intent.

‘The very same my liege.’

‘How many have they landed my lord?’

‘Reports say as many as nine thousand my lady’

The queen whistled, ‘that is a sizeable number. It seems that Lord Mishael’s treasury will be put to good use again-we will need support. These Bretons are heretics are they not-can we enlist the support of one of the Holy Orders?’

The queen was now hurrying off in earnest conversation with her Advisor, Æthelræda all but forgotten. The Duchess held back, gathering her wits. This was the nemesis of her parents, the winter Saxon queen, she who had ruled with iron grip for three decades and more, who had cowed her magnates and scattered her enemies. She was frightening and formidable but if there was an impression seared onto the eighteen-year-old duchess’s consciousness, it was a desire to emulate her and follow keenly in her footsteps and it was not one she was likely ever to forget…

It is a shame, in some respects, that Wulfryth is likely not so long for this world - the relationship between her and Atheldræda could be fascinating. Here's hoping that we get a few years yet out of it.

I was wondering if Wulfryth had perhaps found a kindred soul with Æthelræda. I too hope that Wulfryth has the time left to interact and pass down some of her knowledge and experience to Æthelræda. I do, however, get the feeling that Æthelræda may feel that she knows everything she needs to know about a ruler and may not listen to the experienced queen.

I must confess I for one will not be disappointed when Wulfyrth passes though I hope she has a little longer yet to explore her friendship with Ethelraeda and it vaguely strikes me perhaps the Queens son is not necessarily set to be as great a king as his mother is a queen.

I do feel a little sorry for her though, a gentle passing of an age

Æthelræda may well look up to Wulfryth, but I cannot see that relationship lasting that much longer. (Then again, who knows? The Queen could last until she's 80 - I've seen it happen).

Still, I can't help but feel this is more of an introduction to a character who will play a large role in the future. She will control a major part of the kingdom when her mother dies, is young, strong-willed and seems to be more of an "heir" to the queen's legacy than her actual son. I wonder if after his mother passes on, Osweald will still have to deal with a version of his mother in Æthelræda, so to speak.

As others have mentioned, Wulfryth and Æthelræda would make a great duo were circumstances different. As it is, that conversation struck me as more of a torch-passing ceremony than anything else.

The Bretons seem to be making a play for dominance. Even if they aren't attacking England directly, a paranoid mind would think that they're looking to circumscribe the kingdom and choke the life out of it like an anaconda. Let's hope that the Queen can give them a good thrashing, and with her usual panache.

I’ll simply echo the commentary so far about the old and the young she-wolves. I suspect the vignette was no accident ;).

I will say though: that was some trade deal! Can you advise whether it was the product of a deliberate strategy, or an event capitalised (literally) on by the assiduous Steward?

I’ll simply echo the commentary so far about the old and the young she-wolves. I suspect the vignette was no accident ;).

I will say though: that was some trade deal! Can you advise whether it was the product of a deliberate strategy, or an event capitalised (literally) on by the assiduous Steward?

That really was an excellent trade deal......talk about sitting on a treasure trove

It is a shame, in some respects, that Wulfryth is likely not so long for this world - the relationship between her and Atheldræda could be fascinating. Here's hoping that we get a few years yet out of it.
don’t write off our queen just yet. You’d be most surprised....

I was wondering if Wulfryth had perhaps found a kindred soul with Æthelræda. I too hope that Wulfryth has the time left to interact and pass down some of her knowledge and experience to Æthelræda. I do, however, get the feeling that Æthelræda may feel that she knows everything she needs to know about a ruler and may not listen to the experienced queen.
the Duchess is 18 and very green so she has much to learn and Wulfryth would like to think she is a kindred spirit. Apart from anything else she understands that Æthelræda could potentially do much to harm her son’s reign. Best get her onside early eh?

I must confess I for one will not be disappointed when Wulfyrth passes though I hope she has a little longer yet to explore her friendship with Ethelraeda and it vaguely strikes me perhaps the Queens son is not necessarily set to be as great a king as his mother is a queen.

I do feel a little sorry for her though, a gentle passing of an age
the young man has big shoes to fill that’s for sure and I’m sure you’ll miss Wulfryth when she’s gone.

Æthelræda may well look up to Wulfryth, but I cannot see that relationship lasting that much longer. (Then again, who knows? The Queen could last until she's 80 - I've seen it happen).

Still, I can't help but feel this is more of an introduction to a character who will play a large role in the future. She will control a major part of the kingdom when her mother dies, is young, strong-willed and seems to be more of an "heir" to the queen's legacy than her actual son. I wonder if after his mother passes on, Osweald will still have to deal with a version of his mother in Æthelræda, so to speak.
this is very prescient indeed @JabberJock14. I’ll say no more...

I'd like to see more of Wulfryth and Æthelræda but time surely grows short.

A marriage of their descendants might be advantageous...
ooh I hadn’t even thought of that...thanks

As others have mentioned, Wulfryth and Æthelræda would make a great duo were circumstances different. As it is, that conversation struck me as more of a torch-passing ceremony than anything else.

The Bretons seem to be making a play for dominance. Even if they aren't attacking England directly, a paranoid mind would think that they're looking to circumscribe the kingdom and choke the life out of it like an anaconda. Let's hope that the Queen can give them a good thrashing, and with her usual panache.
watch this space re the 2 she wolves and as for the pagan Kingdom of Breizh all I will say is that they are impudent

haha the vignette was no accident at all my friend. There will be more and yeah the Trade deal was superb. It’s partly because of her attributes in stewardship and those of her Jewish steward.

That really was an excellent trade deal......talk about sitting on a treasure trove
. I know right?

All: I’m writing the next chapter this weekend and all I’ll say is that we will be seeing more of the young Duchess and learn8ng about how her relationship with the queen will shape the kingdom for years to come. Thanks so much for your amazing commentary; it really enthuses me and inspires me to keep writing.

the young man has big shoes to fill that’s for sure and I’m sure you’ll miss Wulfryth when she’s gone.
Never! A thousand times never I say! Never shall I miss such a vindictive, petty and malevolent sociopath.

Certainly Æthelræda would do well to follow the example of Wulfryth's actions, but more as what-not-to-do. That said she will need to have a hard side and doubtless there will be those who see her as a weak woman who can easily be manipulated or removed, so I suppose a living example of what can be achieved will be a great help to her over the years. What she must avoid is Wulfryth's counter-productive use of that power, making pointless enemies for no reason just because she enjoyed humiliating people and being petty. If she can manage iron fist in the velvet glove, as opposed to Wulfryth's iron fist in rusty iron gauntlet, then she could exceed the achievements of the current Queen.

Never! A thousand times never I say! Never shall I miss such a vindictive, petty and malevolent sociopath.

Certainly Æthelræda would do well to follow the example of Wulfryth's actions, but more as what-not-to-do.
:D I think we’ll have to create a “Huscarls for Wulfryth” Super PAC to have a counter-message for The Greatest Saxon Queen of All Time, Ever! A strong queen for difficult times ;).