• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A bloody stalemate on the European Front serves your interests best.

Reactions:
A bloody stalemate on the European Front serves your interests best.

The more the damned nazis, communist and democracies slaughter each other on the ashes of European civilisation, the less troops they can send to attack us. And trust me, lots of blood will stain Poland's fields before this is over.

I realise posting an update as the last post on a page is not the smartest thing I've done, so a warning here: there is a new update at the bottom of the previous page!

what a fight the Americans are giving... finally some sort of real resistance hehe

I realise posting an update as the last post on a page is not the smartest thing I've done, so a warning here: there is a new update at the bottom of the previous page!
You know, that's something I've never gotten on why it's considered a bad thing. Do most people just click the last page or something? I'm asking because I use the "latest post" button thus I've never missed a post in a story which is why it confuses me that people can.

The Japanese air force has been very busy. I'm assuming you don't have to worry about their ammunition or they might have been less effective as their pilots await fresh supplies delivered from the west.

The more the damned nazis, communist and democracies slaughter each other on the ashes of European civilisation, the less troops they can send to attack us. And trust me, lots of blood will stain Poland's fields before this is over.

Though, the Soviet Union has the manpower to spare where Germany will be bleeding white before long. Has the Vanguard considered launching a surprise assault to seize the undefended Siberian industrial centers, which would turn China into an industrial superpower and enable a new advance by the fascists, draining their strength even more in the process? Because of the distant nature of the theater, one or two armies could be sufficient to tip the scales against an enemy who would otherwise require army groups. A Japanese amphibious operation against the Northeast of the US may be worthwhile as well, if a stalemate is ever reached in the Rocky Mountains. That's where American industrial production is located to a disproportionate degree.

what a fight the Americans are giving... finally some sort of real resistance hehe

Most definetly! Invading their homeland has triggered the expected response so far, lets see how much more they have in store for us.

You know, that's something I've never gotten on why it's considered a bad thing. Do most people just click the last page or something? I'm asking because I use the "latest post" button thus I've never missed a post in a story which is why it confuses me that people can.

I've had it happen before that people missed an update cause it was on the last post, or almost.That was before the forum change so maybe it different now. Better safe than sorry I guess.

The Japanese air force has been very busy. I'm assuming you don't have to worry about their ammunition or they might have been less effective as their pilots await fresh supplies delivered from the west.

The airforce is operating around the clock. I do have to worry about ammo in a way if you consider it to be part of the supplies units use. Air forces can suck up quite a bit of supplies when operating, which is why you sometimes see people grounding the Luftwaffe in Russia if the supplyines get stretched too thin. I'll be doing that sometimes here as well. But with the amount of supply covoys I have sailing around, that can largely be avoided. We are pouring supplies into the US Westcoast in vast quantities and around the clock.

Though, the Soviet Union has the manpower to spare where Germany will be bleeding white before long. Has the Vanguard considered launching a surprise assault to seize the undefended Siberian industrial centers, which would turn China into an industrial superpower and enable a new advance by the fascists, draining their strength even more in the process? Because of the distant nature of the theater, one or two armies could be sufficient to tip the scales against an enemy who would otherwise require army groups. A Japanese amphibious operation against the Northeast of the US may be worthwhile as well, if a stalemate is ever reached in the Rocky Mountains. That's where American industrial production is located to a disproportionate degree.

I'm not so certain on either side's manpower at this point, from the looks of it there has been immense amounts of bloodshed. the Soviets seem to have come out on top but how much did it cost them, I don't know.
We did consider that, however because of 2 things we decided against it.
1: SU and Germany are still keeping each other busy so neither is a thread for at least another year. The last thing we want is to knock out the Soviets only to be faced with a veteran Wehrmacht with Russian-style abilities to reinforce!
2: I now have the US Navy on its knees. If we give them a breather, they will rebuild their carrier horde and I have to start all over hunting them down.
3: The Red Army is much larger than the US army. We can maybe overpower the US in a slogging match. We cannot do the same to the Soviets unless we expand our armies. Japan especially has the manpower to spare to expand her forces. Now that naval supremacy is secured that is probably the next objective. In the mean time the Soviets keep bleeding against Germany.

Last edited:
Very interesting AAR, I will follow it. My impression is that at this point you can't win this game. By now the
USA is outproducing you 2 to 1 at least, then add the ENG. The USA units will come
from all directions with plenty of air support, whilst you will have problems to maintain
your supply.

Invading the USA is very complicated for JAP, even in normal level. You have to plan
it right from the start. The best approach is to land at the same time in all provinces
from San Diego to San Francisco, and deploy previously built ports in all these
coastal provinces. Building one IC permanently can maintain construction practicals
high so that these ports grow faster, you really need them if you want to keep your
invasion running. Also, you have to invade as early as possible, ideally not later than

Very interesting AAR, I will follow it. My impression is that at this point you can't win this game. By now the
USA is outproducing you 2 to 1 at least, then add the ENG. The USA units will come
from all directions with plenty of air support, whilst you will have problems to maintain
your supply.

Invading the USA is very complicated for JAP, even in normal level. You have to plan
it right from the start. The best approach is to land at the same time in all provinces
from San Diego to San Francisco, and deploy previously built ports in all these
coastal provinces. Building one IC permanently can maintain construction practicals
high so that these ports grow faster, you really need them if you want to keep your
invasion running. Also, you have to invade as early as possible, ideally not later than

Thanks!

A few good points, but you have to keep in mind that we have some advantages over a regular Japanese invasion force. We have China and her manpower.
The Imperial Japanese Airforce outguns the USAAF and keeps the skies pretty clear allowing bombers to wreack havoc, so that problem is covered.
Ports are covered, Japanese engineers are busy building them already.

Vanguards of the World's Destruction - A Nationalist China - Japan Coop AAR

The second half of January 1945 is characterised by a remarkable calm along much of the front in the American theatre of war. The ferocious winter slaughter of December and early January had taken its toll and all sides have taken 2 weeks to catch their breath, re-organise their lines and bring up reinforcements, replacements and supplies. Everyone knows the calm will not last, but who will blink first?

It turns out to be the Americans. In relocating their forces on the Seattle front, they accidentaly left the sector around Lind undermanned, hoping its riverline will protect them. As soon as Chinese scouts report that only 1 infantry division is entrenched here, an entire 50.000 strong Japanese marinecorps is ordered into the attack. the well entrenched Americans inflict heavy casualties on the marines and Chinese infantry crossing the river, but are unable to hold against overwhelming odds, breaking on the 27th of January after losing 1600 men against 1300 Vanguard. However one must also factor in the American counterattacks on the south flank of this offensive, which cost 1400 men againt only 400 Sino-Japanese.

Japanese%20machinegun%20on%20river_zpsphuebrcf.jpg

Troops on the flanks holding their ground against American counterattacks

The troops arrayed north and east of Bishop now take advantage of the enemy being focused on the sector to its north by throwing over 50.000 men against the entrenched American mechanised formations in Fallon. The mountainous terrain is a perfect battleground for the elite Japanese mountaineer divisions who destroy dozens of armoured vehicles in the confined spaces of the mountain passes and inflict over 2200 casualties for only 1000 of their own.

Back to the front near San Fransisco the Vanguards plan to crush a large American force positioned on the Pacific coastline north of the city. To this end, another assault against Los Molinos is ordered on the 25th of January. However, mountainous terrain, poor weather conditions, unexpectedly well entrenched American armoured formations and vicious counterattacks on the Japanese flanks conspire to prevent the seizing of this important position, costing 2100 Vanguard troops against less than 800 dead Americans. Because of this failed attack, the flanks of our troops in Westwood are now too exposd to be maintained and the Japanese marines and mountaineers holding the bulge in the line are ordered to withdraw to Portola and prepare defences here.

In the mean time the American offensives in the eastern sector is running into properly entrenched mountaineers in Fallon, breking the offensive easily at the cost of 1700 Japanese and 3600 American forces in a series of 3 battles in the first week of February. The Vanugards' response to this failed American attack doesn't take long to materialise and a massive 80.000 strong combined army is thrown against the enemy positions in Ely. Although 3100 men are lost against only 2400 American casualties, the city is taken.

N6VKUGc.jpg

The bloody battle of Ely

At the same time, the encirclement operation near San Fransisco is moving along swiftly. Marines of both the Empire and the Republic, bolstered by Imperial Guard are breaking through the enemy rearguard and push for the coastline at the abandoned Fort Bragg. American forces launch ferocious armoured counterattacks on Los Molinos once again, butdespite almost 1500 dead on either side they are unable to break through on the 15th. Several of their divisions are once again in danger of being surrounded. Already the following day do the first formations of the Imperial Guard reach the coastline and capture Fort Bragg. As a counterattack against this line is repulsed with ease on the following day, the pocket is secured.

The European theatre

As heavy fighting raged on the American continent, the war in Europe continued in all severity as well. Since the Soviet army had entered Polish soil during her 1944 offensives, the advance had ground to a crawl because of stiff Axis resistance. The Allied invasion in Greece was also going nowhere for the exact same reason, with the added difficulty of having to break into difficult mountainous terrain against prepared Axis defensive positions. (I'll try to include a screenshot of that sector in the next update if possible, just for good measure)The Russians prepared a spring offensive to defeat Germany once and for all.

The Soviet army has by March 1945 finally managed to penetrate deeper into Poland, though Warsaw was still out of their grasp. The German army group north had been forced back all the way to the East-Prussian border in the north and in the south, the Soviets have closed to within 30 kilometers of the Slovakian border. Foreign observers note the vunrenability of the southern flank of Germany's Army Group North, predicting she will soon have to retreat or face encirclement in East Prussia. Note however, that it appears the troops that fought in the Baltic States back in October have still not abandoned the coastline there. Their position must be getting more difficult by the day and if a Soviet offensive fights its way into East-Prussia, they face a very real risk of encirclement.

25-3-45%20Eastern%20Front_zpspnx5ycho.png

Last edited:
The stiff Axis resistance is only good news for Japan and China but the Americans seem to be offering a lot more resistance overall. Do you think you can beat USA before Germany is beaten by the Soviets?

The stiff Axis resistance is only good news for Japan and China but the Americans seem to be offering a lot more resistance overall. Do you think you can beat USA before Germany is beaten by the Soviets?

Great update. I'm wondering the same thing; "who will fall first?":D

Thanks. and both of you will have to wait and see for that ^^

the struggle in Eastern Europe is interesting.. more of my games as a non-Germany nation ended in total victory for one side or another in less than 2 years

The longer the Germans hold out the better it is for you. But what happens if the Soviets win and turn their eyes to the Far East?

Then, presumably, they bomb the Trans-Siberian Railway into oblivion with TACs and laugh at the starving hordes.

the struggle in Eastern Europe is interesting.. more of my games as a non-Germany nation ended in total victory for one side or another in less than 2 years

It certainly is. Without overstating our achievements, I think the losses our combined forces have inflicted on the Allies, especially by taking the Dutch East Indies and India, plus tying down and sinking much of the US Navy has prevented the Allies from really getting involved in Europe. Plus of course the stubborn Allied attempts to hold Greece with an enormous army that would be much better suited to fight somewhere less confined. Don't underestimate how many troops are involved in that battle.

The longer the Germans hold out the better it is for you. But what happens if the Soviets win and turn their eyes to the Far East?

The fight isn't kicked out of Germany just yet. They are on the back foot for sure, but you may be surprised at how long they can defend their homeland.

Then, presumably, they bomb the Trans-Siberian Railway into oblivion with TACs and laugh at the starving hordes.

Whilst my airforce and the Chinese army are large, I'm not sure I can do both that and keep the pressure in the Yanks. But first they have to defeat Germany, and that is no easy feat. And after that the question remains:

How much did they pay for that victory?

You don't need to many TACs to cripple a single province, and you would only need to reduce a handful to low levels and keep them there. Six TACs could probably handle it quite well.

Quite the war story this is.:) I like it that you opted for the RL grind of warfare and didn't employ the usual work-arounds.:D

Surprised to see Hun and Rom sitting out the battle of Europe, does that happen often?

Thanks! We felt this was the best way to take care of the US, making the most of our advantages over them (our vastly greater manpower reserve and powerful airforce vs their more armoured and mechanised army)

The Axis Balkan states should have been at war with the Soviets, not sure what happened there. But they are fighting against the Allies, engaging the British troops in Greece primarily. So they aren't sitting the war out entirely, just not going up against Russia. We thought about getting them involved against Russia by modding it, but that would probably have collapsed the Axis position in the Balkans and ended the war much quicker, this is more fun to watch I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: