• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Politics is a blood sport". Those words that Wilhelm heard from a fellow while chatting in the tavern fitted with the actual mood in England, with a Count in prison accused of slandering and the forge of documents. he didn't understood why that count did not prepare a Scapegoat to avoid this taint in his Image.

While Wilhelm was drinking his second beer, the bartender came close to him and whispered: "You wanted me to keep you informed right?, Well, some guards were talking and aparently someone tried to kill the Crown Prince" Wilhelm was speechless, He thought that this "always-plotting" attitude was a german flaw, but aparently it was just human nature.

He paid his tab and gave some additional gold to the Bartender telling him that there will be more if he can proviide him with more information about who was responsible for this. In his way to home, he thought about how benefit from this new situation

Your Royal Highness, Crown Prince Matthew
I offer my condolences for the recent assasination attempt on your Royal Highness and i pray to god for your protection and soon recovery. Is terrible that even when the Monarchy helped Nobles and Courtier to increase their patrimony and well-being, some despicable people does not respect the institution of the monarchy.

I am but a humble servant of the royal family, however, i will commit the indiscretion to offer your Royal Highness a counsel i received once by a superior in the imperial bureaucracy: Even if a person wants to be loved and respected inconditionally by those in his charge, sometimes a small grade of fear is required to keep them in line".

In the case of this servants of yours, let me declare my inconditional support to your royal Highness as the future ruler of England and Austria

Your Humble Servant,
Wilhelm Hayk

Last edited:
Reactions:
((private))
The day after the assembly, the office of the Master of the Coin stayed deserted. No urgent matter needed him, and Ximeno Arantxez left with all haste for Bordeaux. His plan advances just as he wants it, and as such the EBC needs to be directed into this new course. It is now or never. He has to 'do what he can do best'. The cordial tone of the queen certainly intrigues him, but she is right. Leadership of the EBC, also economical advisor. Now Head of the EBC.

Juan II the Slow and Enrique the Dumb won't see it coming. Their closest economical advisor is a long-time business partner and good friend who supports the plan as he is to profit of it as well. He'll stop any concerns the king and heir of Castile might have. The war enters its hottest phase. Combat will be merciless. No prisoners, only deserters will be taken. In the end, not one of the enemy will keep standing.

The EBC will lower its prices to make only a very minimal profit. With the monopoly in Iberian trade, no Englishman can try a similar strategy to win shares of the market. With the Foreign Trade Act active, no Iberian can offer a competitive price without making losses. One-way trade is too risky for the few profits one can make. So the EBC will drive the Castillian merchants into bankruptcy, or force them to join, as they won't get any royal support. Just a few years should be enough before slowly rising the prices again. The little gains are not too encouraging to continue for long, but in order to have a complete reign over the area, sacrifices have to be made - and with 15% of the STC's shares, the time of battle will be easier than without.

Of course, they will say he did it only for personal gains - but it is not true. The Foreign Trade Act helps to form new merchants with new ideas, who can profit from the expertise of the foreign traders who have hired them. Luxury goods from afar may be a bit more expensive, but the close areas are covered by the trading companies, and this act helps to give them more dominance. The new English merchants will at some point try to seek out new markets or join the old, and the crisis will be over. Then we might think of revoking it - for reasons of smuggling. One needs to see if this inreases substantially.

Reactions:
England was unstable. The STC was without leadership and was declining. The Lollard heresy had been growing in numbers, the reserves were depleted and some nobles were going crazy with greed. Greed for power. In all this mess, Henry Walpole was one of the biggest victims. He went on a holiday to Portugal to keep the stability, his mental stability. When he would come back from Portugal, he would find the man who ordered the assasination and report it to the queen. Probably was that damned Morgan, in revenge for being locked up by him. Could also be that man with the small private parts, who was salty because of losing the argument.

((Requesting a roll on Walpole finding out who tried to assasinate him.))

((Requesting a roll on Walpole finding out who tried to assasinate him.))
((Since this would be a first; I'd have to think about it first. I cannot imagine a scenario atm in which Walpole would uncover who hired the assassins. If such a roll is made, then then one of the outcomes should also be negative. If you give me some time then I'll see if I can come up with a solution.
FYI: I won't be able to do any rolls until tonight.))

((to General Hudson))
I am glad to hear that you respect my decision. Some of the nobility has gotten out of line. As one of the leading generals of the country, I require your presence now in many places of the country because the military needs to show an increased presence to deter further assassinations. Therefore, you will need to travel a lot. It will be your job to ensure that the troops in my French holdings are Ireland are prepared. CoF Talbot has been given a similar order.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

((to CoF Talbot))
Oliver,
with the recent attempt on Matthew's life, I require the military the show an increased presence in Britain. General Hudson has been given an order to check that the men in Aquitaine, Normandy and Ireland are ready. I want you to travel to the various garrisons in Britain to do the same. I believe that the Crown has to put some fear into the minds of the nobility. Some of the nobles have gotten out of line, at least that is what Matthew believes. He told me that only a noble could have funded such an expensive assassination.
I am also informing you that the Crown Prince is working tirelessly on a plan to conduct a through investigation of the nobility. The military could play a large part in those investigations but nothing has been finalised. I only wanted to give you a heads up.

((Also I'll use CoF as abbreviation for Commander of the Forces))

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

((to Wilhelm Hayk))
Wilhelm,
I thank you for your letter and your advice. I was and still am deeply shocked that there are traitors right here in our midst who dare to scheme against the Crown. Without the help of my squire Alexander I might have been a dead man. After all, he alerted the guards in the right moment.
The attempt on my life is not the only (failed) assassination that took place in the realm. Walpole Sr. was murdered in the streets of London, Walpole Jr. was attacked in his mansion in Dublin and war hero Thomas Lloyd died an unworthy death as well. It seems that there are some in the country who believe that can get along with murder by hiring others. Some fear among the nobility might indeed be what the realm needs.
Times will change, trust me. The traitors who hired the men that attacked me will be brought to justice.

~ Matthew Lancaster, Crown Prince

((to Count Walpole))
These are dangerous times we live in, Count Walpole. I thank you for thinking about me. It seems not all nobles had the decency to send me their condolences - that tells us a lot about the state of the nobility.
You were also the victim of an attack and so was your father. Then there was the murder of Thomas Lloyd. The realm is in a miserable state. I will see to it personally that the situation improves. It's unacceptable that people in the realm dare to send assassins my way.

((to Arthur Lloyd))
Young Arthur,
I thank you for your condolences. Times will improve. As I am writing this letter, I am already working on putting some fear into the minds of the English nobility. It is unacceptable that traitors live among us.

~ Matthew Lancaster, Crown Prin3ce

Matthew was sitting in his study in Oxford where he wrote and discarded numerous plans about brining the nobility back in line. In his opinion, the English nobility had been involved in one way or another in all the recent assassinations that took place throughout the country. To him it seemed unlikely that a clergymen would commit such crimes, Bishop Chaffinch was an exception to the rule. The majority of the courtiers did not possess the necessary funds to hire such skilled assassins. This is why Matthew believed that parts of the nobility were scheming not only against each other but also against the Crown.
As a first security measure, the number of patrolling guards in major cities had been increased and the garrisons of some forts were manned to show increased military presence. Each week, Matthew spent many hours thinking about how to track down the assassins but he failed to come up with a solution. However, given the man he was, he did not give up and continued writing plans. He knew that eventually he would come up with something genius...

Edit: ((The update will be finished by the earliest tonight CET.))

Last edited:
What Prince Matthew was nearly assanated. Are people that self centred, that they would risk the stability of the from for their own gain. Of course it may not be a personal vendetta and be France or Norway sending them. But how would they know where Matthew would be, there is a spy in our midst.
He better send his condolences to Matthew and the queen.

I would like to offer my condolences for the unfortunate attempted assanation of your son, Prince Matthew.
Those traitors must be brought to justice, though while you may not need it. Head my advice.
Trust no one, it could be anyone who could of hired the assains or helped by being a spy for foriegn kings who wished to do harm. But do not get paranoid, God always rewards the good.
From Edward Andrews

Similar letter sent to Prince Matthew.

Reactions:
William received the message of the assasination attempt on the Crown Prince by the messenger.
An assasination attempt on the Crown Prince. What dire times we are living in, William was thinking.
Thank God he is okay. We cannot have something like that in our realm, we are having enough issues as it is.

He would better write a letter to the Crown Prince to send him his condolences and offer him help to sort this out.

Your Royal Highness,

I would like to offer my condolences for the recent attempt on your life.
It seems that there are some powerful people around in England (or abroad) who do not want you to see the light of another day.
I am shoked to hear of the complexity of the assasination attempt, this cannot have been set up by some low-life scum.

If it pleases his Royal Highness, I want to offer any assistance I can in trying to find the person who is behind this all.

Your loyal subject,
William Clifford, Count of Cumbria, Lord of Mann and Judge of the Court of England

Reactions:
Henry arrived in Lisbon. He immediatly started looking for a tolk. Walking through the city, many people saluted him. They probably thought that he was a soldier that got injured in battle. When he found the tolk, he went to a small, but luxury hotel in the south of Lisboa. The owners were honoured to have an English nobleman visit their hotel.

A couple of days in, after playing with his son in the sea, Brian O'Neilly came. He didn't get to go with them to Portugal, so Henry was surprised. He had 3 weeks off while he was on his holiday. He had brought a letter from Crown Prince Matthew Lancaster.

Your Highness, I will do everything I can to help catch the assasins. Should you need finances, I would be happy to gift it to you Whoever send the assasins should get the trial for the treason against England it is. I say, to eliminate the treacherous nobles, the loyal nobles should br put in greater positions of power, while actively eliminating the power of the traitors. Even if you have the slightest distrust, you should stop them from growing in power. But that's just my own suggestion, I also want to apologise for the late response because I'm in Lisboa currently, enjoying the peace and quiet, along with the weather.

May God save you,
Henry Walpole, earl of Dublin and the Pale

He asked Brian if he could bring the letter to the palace of the Portuguese king and ask if it could be send from there to Oxford. Henry asked Brian if he wanted to stay with them, and Brian graciously accepted the offer.

((EDIT: added some things to the letter.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((to CoF Talbot))
Oliver,
with the recent attempt on Matthew's life, I require the military the show an increased presence in Britain. General Hudson has been given an order to check that the men in Aquitaine, Normandy and Ireland are ready. I want you to travel to the various garrisons in Britain to do the same. I believe that the Crown has to put some fear into the minds of the nobility. Some of the nobles have gotten out of line, at least that is what Matthew believes. He told me that only a noble could have funded such an expensive assassination.
I am also informing you that the Crown Prince is working tirelessly on a plan to conduct a through investigation of the nobility. The military could play a large part in those investigations but nothing has been finalised. I only wanted to give you a heads up.

((Also I'll use CoF as abbreviation for Commander of the Forces))

Your Majesty,
I shall depart immediately to inspect the garrisoned soldiers in Britain, whilst, of course, receiving updates regarding the situation in Scotland so that I can return with haste if necessary.I believe that I shall be able to provide at least suggestions for the Crown Prince's investigation, and, during the next voting session, I will propose new laws that shall assist in cracking down on these dissidents.

Oliver Talbot, Count of Caux and Commander of the Forces.

Reactions:
London - The Royal Chancellory

The Chancellory was a great building, after one entered it's doors and walked through the entrance hall he would reach a big room, the scriptorium. Here are many people working on their desks, writing and reading the mail in which conversations between kings and queens where hold. The man of the Royal Diplomatic Core came here to be informed about foreign relations of England with other countries and the personality of their Rulers. And now everything in here was under the oversight of Robert of Huntingdon, Chancellor of England. Robert has reached a position that his father could only have dreamed of, this would finally lift him over the shadow that his old man still casted over him.

Robert entered his new realm, the Chancellory, and went the stairs up to the gallery from which one could look over the man working below in the scriptorium. Here was his new favourite place, he loved standing on top of the gallery and observe his man at work. But he couldn't do this today, he had more important matters that occupied him and so he entered his office, that was connected to the gallery. In the middle of the room stood a desk that seemingly filled it wholy and it was overloaden with parchments and even papers, a new material that had been introduced to Robert in Italy. It was easier and cheaper to manufacture then parchment and therefore a superoir material, Rob had something in mind to bring someone who could produce it to England.

But what was on Roberts mind today where the most disturbing incidents that happened around England. An assassination attempt on the crownprince Matthew, the second wrong accusation against Henry Walpole, killings of nobles in the open streets, one couldn't feel save on the streets anymore. Something had to be done but Robert wasn't sure what, the crown manned the garissons of the country and increased patrols, but this would only make the ordinary people more anxious. What could he do? He didn't know, he hoped that the Queen had a better plan, he wasn't an advisor for politics inside of the Realm but outside and for his new idea he needed the help from Wilhelm Hayk, who had offered his support. Robert decided to write him:

Dear Herr Hayk,
I thank you for your congratulations, I remember that you asked me to help you to get started in the important buisness of diplomacy in the English Kingdom. I therefore have an important assignment for you: I send you to Nuremberg. There you shall poach some of the people that worked in the local papermills and bring them back to England so that we can start our own paperproduction here in the Chancellory. This should be easiest for you, for you as a german could easier influence a man in Nurembergs papermills then any english man could. This will also be your proving mission to show us that you are loyal to England and are willing to serve our country no matter what.
I hope I didn't thought wrong about you,
with my best regards,
Chancellor Robert of Huntingdon.

Last edited:
After the assassination attempt against the Crown Prince Matthew, the mood in London was gray. From peasants to Lords, everybody was worried about the future of the realm and that too was the case of WIlhelm, who didn't find his visits to the different taverns of London as amusing as before.

After drinking a beer, He returned to his room. The landlord gave him a letter and asked for the rent of the month. He was like a swabian housewife with the rent. "I'll pay you tomorrow" said Wilhelm after he saw the seal of the Royal Chancellory. He read the letter and a Smile appeared in his face.

Your Honour, Chancellor of the Realm

I accept the mission with pleasure.

I will part to Nuremberg as soon as possible and i will keep you informed of my results through some agents of the Medici Bank that i am acquainted with.
However, i recommend your honour to request some funds for the expenses just in case there are necessary as leverage.

WIlhelm Hayk

Hayk finished his letter, send it and went to talk with the Landlord: "I will part today and won't come for a while, here you have the payment of the month's rent. Let me say you need to do something about the rats, it was like they were recreating the Stamford bridge battle in the Ceiling". He left the landlord and went directly to the port.

Last edited:
London - The Royal Chancellory

Hayk has sent a positive reply to the Chancellors request, Robert was deligthed. If he could start his own production of paper the diplmoatic and administrative capabilities of the Realm would be greatly increased. Maybe Hayk could even bring some insight over this new mechanical movable types printing presses that reformed bookprinting in the Holy Roman Empire. He called his personal assistant into his office.

Robert: Rivington!

Rivington entered the room, bowed stiffly and answered: Yes your honour?

Robert: I need you to aquire 20 ducats from the Chancellories treasury and bring it to Wilhelm Hayk. He needs the money for his journey to the Empire, the Queen will understand.

Rivington: Yes, Sir. I am allready on my way.

Rivington left the room while Robert wrapped up the letter from Hayk, he was sure that the german would be succesfull in his mission.

Edward was relaxing back at his house, just thinking. As Edward got older his health deteriorated. Nearly the majority of the people that he had been with originally had all died, mainly to foul murder. So Edward relaxed, as just stressing is worse for you.
But during this thinking Edward thought, if he had only learned about the princes assassination 2 weeks after the attempt. How many other events could be going undetected, "Too many" Edward said. So why wait for someone else to make the idea of a national press as you could call it, when you could make it yourself. As fortune favors the brave.

Though there was a few problems, making the prints would take far too long. While monks did a good job, it took for ever to make and also how would he make them.
He had heard while in Portugal, about this thing called paper, made from cutting down trees and turning them into pulp, then after a few different processes that he forgot about. You get something far easier to create than parchment, while not as durable.
Also there was this thing called a printing press, he had heard that the first had been made in 1440 by a goldsmith in the Holy Roman Empire, who created a machine that could print words in ink on Parchment, in a fraction of the time that a monk could.
Edward decided that he would head out gather the acquired equipment and logistics of how too make more paper and these machines and head back and ask the monarch for money to fund this new project.
"I hope that no one else thought of this, but good luck to them anyway." was the last that Edward thought before heading out.

((Istarsamu, why you beat me too making the first printing press or trying too:eek:, should of not waited till the next update, just going too look like a copy cat:p.))

((THIS POST HAS @delpiero1234 'S APPROVAL.))

((Back in Jolly ol' England, while Henry was in Portugal on a holiday))

It was a normal Sundaynight at the tavern in Gloucestershire. People were drunkenly dancing around, everyone was happy. 3 men walked into the tavern. They asked the owner if they could have a moment for an important announcement.

Investigators: "Can we have a moment please?"

The people looked at the men. One of the investigators grabbed a chopped off head out of his bag.

I: "Do you know who this man is? This man was found in the mansion in Dublin trying to assasinate the earl, along with 6 others."

One man started talking.

Random drunk: "He works for a company of assasins down the street, in an abbey. I do not know his name, but I know he works there."

The men were surprised to find out that it would be this easy.

I: "Thank you. We shall go on our way now."

A couple of minutes later they found a backdoor, supposedly leading to the assasins' company. A man greeted them when they came in.

Assasin: "Hello sirs. What are you doing here."

I: "We heard that you assasinate people for a bit of money? Is that true?"

A: "That's true. An assasination costs..."

The man gets interrupted by the investigator

I: "Actually, we want to know who you have recently assasinated."

A: "Why would I tell you that?

2 of the Investigators draw their swords, keeping them at the assasins neck. The other investigator grabs the head of a dead assasin.

I: "Will you talk now? Who was the last man you got ordered to assasinate?!"

A: "Henry Walpole, the earl of Meath.

I: "Ah yes. Who ordered the assasination?

A: "I will not tell you that."

The investigators put their swords closer to his neck.

I: "Maybe you want to reconsider that."

A: "If you do not tell anyone about my practices."

I: "We can accept that."

A: "It's Alexander Mordaunt."

I: "Did you write it down somewhere?"

A: "Yes."

I: "Can you show the paper to me?"

The assasin hands over a couple of papers with people who hired assasins.

I: "Thank you, just what we needed. We will be leaving. Guys, take him with us."

A: "What about the deal?"

I: "There is no deal."

A: "You lied to me!"

I: "And it'll be better for you if you didn't lie to me, scum."

A: "What will happen to me?"

I: "You will join the trial against Count Alexander Mordaunt and will tell the jury that you were the assasin they hired. Understand that?"

A: "I'll get executed for that!"

I: "Shouldn't have started this practice then. Now you shall come with us."

A: “I won’t.”

The assasin draws a sword. One of the investigators puts his sword in a position that the assasins neck starts bleeding.

I: “You’re a couragous man, Too bad that will be the cause of your death.”

The assasin tries to stab the investigator and misses the man, and gets decapitated soon after by the guard.

I: “What a waste of human life…”

The investigators left Gloucestershire and went back to Dublin, awaiting the trial of Alexander Mordaunt.

Reactions:
((to Edward Andrews))
I thank you for your condolences. These traitors have to be brought to justice and the nobility needs to learn to respect the Crown again. The current circumstances are unacceptable, given that there have been assassination attempts on just my person but also on a few counts.

((to Wilhelm Clifford))
Your offer is most generous. The Crown might require your help in the future.

((Regarding the investigation; Dreumel had a lot of luck because the chance of uncovering who hired the assassins was very low. Seems like RNGesus loves him. Anyways, this means there will be a trial against Alexander Mordaunt.
@TheM @ML8991 @Luftwafer please work together on a trial post. Thank you))

((Also the update is already done. The question is if it shall be postponed after the trial of Alexander Mordaunt or if the trial can take place also after the update. The in-game gap is about 2.5 years. Thoughts?))

((Release the update now pls, trial could be done saying it was at the start if the update. Though it's up too you.
Istarsamu, that's a good idea. Let's wait till after the update though. Though a rivalry would be a good idea.))

Reactions:
((Upload it now. I want to read. We will just go foward to the past and say it happened before the update.))

Reactions: