• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Meeting with Chaffinch - March 1450
((This post was created together with @Cheffy, everything form his characters perspective is written in bold))

James of Huntingdon arrived at Bishop Chaffinchs Residency in Newcastle. He was eager to see his son again.

Chaffinch answered the door himself as he was eager to discuss. He asked James to follow him to his study.

As James followed the Bishop through his home he realised how much the young man wanted to show his position he got himself. The rooms where ornamented with rich tapestries and a large library filled his working room.

Realising his guest was curious about his possessions Frederick stated “ I have always been eager to remind myself how far I've come since returning here. Your son showed the same interest as you do now.”

Nodding James let himself down in one of the chairs in front of the Bishops desks. “I thank you for your hospility, but can I see my son now?”

“Robert! Your father has come to collect you!”. The bishop shouted in Russian a language that Chaffinch had been teaching the young lad.

The now man grown Robert thundered down the stairs and into the study. “Father ?” He asked.

James couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw his son again. The 17 year old child that he gave Chaffinch on his journey to Rome has grown to a 23 year old man. James stood up to hug his boy. “Robert, it is good to see you again. I hope your time with the Bishop made you learn a lot?”

“Indeed I have.” James’ heir responded “ I have learned much from him”. The Bishop blushed and quipped “You flatter me young sir. I nearly gave you the tools which you could educate yourself with”.

Knowing that his son would now work together with him made James smile, but he had to realise for what he came up north. “Your letter spoke of some urgent matters that you had to discuss, Your Excellence? I made my way up here, while I should be travelling to Rome. Tell me what is it that burdens you?”

Taking a sterner tone the Bishop curtly asked Robert to prepare his bags then turned to face James. “My good sir I am disturbed by the nature of the court at the moment. We are friends I hope so I wish you to keep my worries a secret. Will you agree to this?”

James saw the position the Bishop was in. Chaffinch had been discredited by his acceptance of the annulment of Bourchiers marriage. James himself allthough had just won a great victory in the Assembly by changing his rivals warplans. He was in a better position then the clergyman, but his curioisity won over him: “Yes your Excellence, your secrets will be safe with me.”

“Thank you. Now my first issue is that of Warpole he is to rash to act and that is coming from a man who challenged the Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury. I believe we must curtail his influence over the queen if England is to be preserved. Do you agree?”

“As you might know, Walpole is one of my oldest enemies. Everything that lowers his influence at court is to my benefit. So yes, I agree.”

“I have a proposition then. As we are both part of the diplomatic core I suggest we create an issue in Ireland in which our vassal may declare independence if Warpole is not handed over to them. If we do this while the army is in Scotland and France it would be easier for the Queen to hand him over rather than fight on another front would it not?”

James wasn’t quite sure what Chaffinch was suggesting here, handing over a Count, helping a Vassal of the crown to declare independence? This was borderline treason and James knew that he didn’t want to be part of this. “Well, your excellence, creating an issue to make a vassal of the Queen declare independence would be a quite hard thing to accomplish, especially as I have tried very hard to get this vassal. Walpole will fight in the upcoming war and we might just hope that he gets injured or killed in the midst of the battle. The more productive way to lower his influence could be to bring his son on our side. The two are seperated at the moment and we might be able to make this work in our favor.”

The bishop nearly burst into laughter after James mentioned turning sons against fathers the irony was hilarious to him. “That is indeed a good plan but we must somehow get Walpole to either give us access to his son or not realise we are manipulating him. Any idea how?”

“We don’t have to convince John Walpole to give us his son, but the mother. She was it who send the young man away and she might be the easier target.”

“I agree. Now this may shock you but I believe we could do this well. Walpole is often away from home and will continue to be during war time. As such his wife will be alone and therefore vulnerable to the charms of young men. A young man such as Robert perhaps?”

WHAT DID HE JUST SAY? James thought he had missunderstood the Bishop, using his son to seduce a countess?

Upon seeing the look on James’ face the bishop said. “But never mind all that until war is declared. Let me move on to my next issue. That of the drunkard in charge of the Lords church. He is a disgrace to his holy name.”

“I see where you are coming from. But the church invests the bishops, the Queen only gives their consent. I can try to influence the Pope on my journey there to not give Canterbury but anotherone the sufragan title over the holy church of England. You are at the moment, to be frank, a Bishop that has to stay quiet until the anger over your missteps has lifted.”

“I would be most thankful if you did this and I understand that I am not the most attractive choice this is why I propose we recruit and appreciative for the both of us to teach how to play the game and also learn how to negotiate and conduct ceremony. We should acquire him from the clergy and train him in all matters diplomatic. We could then push for him to take over from Cantebury.”

“I try to do what I can, what is your last problem, Bishop?”

“It connects to my former point on an apprentice and my recently dismissed act in parliament. It appears that I have sired a son…”

James smiled knowingly, here was why the Bishop had send for him. “That a law forbids the clergy to marry and become fathers has never stopped them to do so. Most of them hid it very well and I see that you are now in dire need to do so as well. I for one am not a very pious man, I see not the huge problem in men fathering children, but the holy church might. Keep your parenthood secret and there might be no big problem.”

“I'm glad to see you don't fall for this religious non envy either good ser. I also understand the need for my son to remain a secret but I do want him to live a good life this is why I ask your favour. I ask that you could educate him and take him with you on your journey to Rome. I have prepared the necessary documents for him to live his life as your grandson if you would accept him?”

James had to think about this. A child on a journey to Rome? This could be quite dangerous for such a young kid, maybe it would be better to bring him home to London, his wife and daughter might be better able to care for the Bishops son. James realised now that he accepted Chaffinch’s proposal without thinking, the only problems he saw where on how to do it, not if. “What is the young boys name? And how old is he? Of course I will care for your son in your stead. But let me suggest to send him to London to my family where he will be safer then on the long journey to Rome.”

“I thank you wholeheartedly sir. Please take him anywhere he will be safe and educated. His name is Alexander after a family friend and he is now 21 months of age. Your own son and him have developed a strong bond which is why I asked for you”

“I will then anchor at London on my way to Rome and give the child to my wife for the time I and my son are at the papal court. When I return I will educate him to become a good man with a diplomatic mind as myself.” James stood up “I now have to bid your fare well, your Excellence, a long journey awaits.”

“Allow me to accompany to my personal ship you will find it ready to take you to Italy with your son and mine. You may use it freely as a token of my thanks.”

With that the two men and their sons headed down to the docks and departed from one another both now with plans and schemes on their minds.

Reactions:
Chapter IV - War and a Pleasant Surprise

Shortly after Queen Elizabeth left the Royal Assembly, she received a note from General Plantagenet which she had ordered back to the the British Isles. The General informed her that the combined forces of Portugal and England defeated the Moroccan army at the Battle of Ceuta, despite suffering immense loses. After the battle was over, Plantagenet set sail for Cumbria. The Royal Navy was awaiting him and his men at the port of Gharb in April 1450.
The Portuguese continued to battle the Moroccan troops and defeated them multiple times, including in the highlands of Melilla. This gave Afonso V the upper hand. Portugal was going to dictate the peace terms, that was for sure.

nRsbBZM.png

The final preparations for a war with Scotland were made in the capital: Elizabeth had sent some of the countries finest spies to Inverness, Highlands, to fabricate a claim on the province. Claims had priorly been fabricated on Lothian and Ayrshire, two provinces with which England shared a border. They quickly discovered that 11.000 Scots were stationed in Inverness.
Furthermore, the collection of war taxes began. Every citizen had to contribute a small sum, including poor farmers and fishermen. Nobody was exempted.
The Crown began to also send supplies and tents to Cumbria. The local count offered the army to camp in the province, a most friendly and generous offer which was naturally accepted.

NenfnN0.png

Thanks to the ratification of the Trade Act of 1450, the Crown was able to start the modernization of some of England's leading trade centers. A market place was to be built in London. With the war against Scotland coming, the remaining ducats were left in the treasury for an emergency.
In early July, a letter arrived from Vienna: Friedrich III had forced Alsace into vassalage. He now had two vassals and four allies. The Holy Roman Empire was at the mercy of its Emperor. Who was going to be the next target of Austrian aggression? Elizabeth was worried that her ally had gone crazy but that was soon forgotten when a few weeks later, she was not invited to the coronation Joan II de Trastámara who had become King of Aragon after his brother had died. Aragon and Naples were now being ruled by a 53 year old man who lacked a heir.

wd0YlKy.png

In September 1450, Portugal annexed four Moroccan provinces in exchange for peace. Afonso V thanked Elizabeth for the English contributions in this war. Without England, Fez would have never fallen. Tangiers, Melilla, Gharb and Meknes were now Portuguese possessions.
The siege of Cork was long, lasting for about a year. After the garrison had surrendered, General Plantagenet gathered the English soldiers in Cumbria. 32.000 men were ready to invade Scotland out of which 29.000 had been stationed in Cumbria. Among them were also old war veterans like the bloodthirsty Count Walpole.
Even though Count Clifford gave it his best, Cumbria was unable to properly feed the 29.000 men. Attrition took its toll on the army. Feeding all these men was not an easy task and the Queen did not blame Count Clifford for this miserable situation. The fault was with the army organizers who should have intervened before the misery broke out. A better solution would have been to have half of the 32.000 camp in Cumbria and the other half in Northumberland.
The Royal Navy ensured that none of Munster's ships left the port of Cork before heading to the French coast. The invasion of Scotland was only days away - all forts had been manned in time.

nu5sKz2.jpg

On 1 December 1450, Plantagenet gave the orders to attack Edinburgh with the main army. France sided with the Scottish, Sweden declined their call to arms. The Scotts were still hiding in the Highlands. There was no resistance and so Plantagenet laid siege on Edinburgh. They did not even try to defend their capital! The men laughed when they noticed that the city was unprotected.
The Royal Navy caught the French Navy off guard and sent many enemy ships to the ground of the Quiberon Bay without losing a single ship.
Within the same week, Munster was annexed by Leinster. The Subjugation of Ireland was complete! King Henry VI started it and his wife Elizabeth completed it. At last, Ireland was a possession of the English.
Meanwhile in Britain, the Scotts attacked a small group of 3.000 men that had been sent to Ayrshire. Plantagenet abanonded the siege of Lothian in order to support the outnumbered army. His reinforcements arrived just in time. The Scots had to retreat!

XNsgHK5.jpg

nCwN7wU.png

In February 1451, the dynamics in Europe changed dramatically: First Burgundy saw her ally Brittany losing to Provence. The Bretons ceded Armor to them.
Around the same time, Denmark conceded defeat and granted Sweden her independence. The Kalmar Union was no mo more! Denmark continued to rule over Norway but without Sweden in their fold, the Danes were no danger.
Things started to get crazy though when a letter arrived from Vienna inviting her to come to Friedrich III's funeral. The Emperor had passed away. She left immediately but because of the war she had to take a longer route. The French declined her access through France and so she sailed via Portugal to Venice and took a carriage from there to the Austrian capital.
Some believed it was an unnatural death because he was healthy and still quite young. Friedrich had no children, no heir. After the funeral, the nobility of Austria agreed that Elizabeth Talbot shall become Archduchess of Austria! Elizabeth had not expected this. She was full of joy but also in shock and she certainly did not know what to say.
One of the Austrian nobles addressed her as "Ihre Majestät Elizabeth Talbot, Königin von England, Erzherzogin von Österreich, Herzogin von Aquitaine und Herzogin der Normandie."
After the funeral, Elizabeth was crowned in Vienna before leaving for London again. She was young, unmarried and one of the most powerful women in Europe. The world was hers to take. Ludwig I of Hessen had been chosen by the Prince-Electors to become the new Holy Roman Empire. An interesting development and most definitely a pleasant surprise!

aVcbhgT.png

BLWWKXU.png

For the Queen, it soon became clear that governing England and Austria was going to be quite a time-consuming matter. Elizabeth was full of energy but her youth made her also inexperienced. She was wise enough to seek advice from her council on administrative matters. Austria disbanded the majority of her army which it was longer able to maintain due to not being Holy Roman Emperor anymore. The Queen appointed Thomas Talbot as representative to Austria. Thomas, Elizabeth's older brother, packed some things and left for Austria right away.
While the armies were continuing the invasion of Scotland, two new marketplaces were being built in Caux and Calais. The English economy was doing well enough for being at war, especially because imports from France and Burgundy were being heavily restricted to support the English economy.

zJWA9Ie.png

The siege of Edinburg had been going for over 180 days when Plantagenet sent word that the city walls were still far from giving in. The siege was anticipated to last for at least another half a year, if not more.
Burgundian forces had laid siege on Paris by September 1451 while the French forces were trying to take Dijon. They did not bother to attack each others armies. A most silly situation. General Plantagenet and other leading army personnel had to laugh when they first heard about these events in France.
Back in London, Elizabeth accepted a petition of influential merchants, some worked for the Scots Trading Company in autumn 1451 The merchants asked to receive more influence in Normandie. The request was granted, in return the merchant paid some ducats to the Crown which were then used to build two more marketplace as part of the Trade Act of 1450.
Later that year, a Burgundian spy was caught by Oliver Talbot in Caux. The spy miserably tried to fabricate a claim on the province. The spy was executed that very same day after he had been questioned by the count. Burgundy was angered when they found out that the spy had been executed but what other choice would there have been? Let him go?

bNw1P3p.jpg

King Juan II de Trastámara had sent word that Castile had annexed Granada and thereby completed the Reconquista! Nobody expected it. Morocco tried to save Granada but after having been beaten by England and Portugal, the Moroccan had neither an army nor a navy that could match the Castilian one.
Aragon did not approve of the conquest and announced Castile as her new rival. This led to a most unusual alliance between the Crown of Aragon and the Ottoman Empire.
In October 1451, the French forces realized that they should attack the Burgundian army that was besieging Paris and so they abandoned the siege of Dijon. At the Battle of Paris, the French troops kicked some Burgundian butt. The war did not go well for Burgundy and this was an understatement. Burgundy was starting to lose badly. This was good for Crown because so far France had not laid siege on any of the English provinces in the French region. The French were too busy fighting Burgundy.
General Plantagenet had ordered Count Walpole to send word to Her Majesty that the walls of Lothian had been breached after more than 300 days. The siege was still not over though. Elizabeth was most pleased about the progress that Plantagenet's siege corps was making.

YN78QhR.jpg

While Count Walpole was fighting the Scots, Meath was undergoing an agricultural revolution. It seemed that the absence of the brutal Count had some positive effects on the province. It made Elizabeth wonder if Walpole was fit to be count. Such an agricultural revolution was most beneficial to all of Ireland, but especially to Dublin. The result was a higher tax income because more people moved to the province. Ireland was not a lost cause after all.
Plantagent sent word again to Her Majesty in March 1452: Edinburgh had fallen after 451 long days! At last the Scottish capital was under English occupation!
A month later, the Scots attacked the combined forces of England and Leinster at the battle of Ayrshire. It was a devastating loss for the Scottish. Plantagenet gave command of the forces to Mac Fhlannchaidh - the English General had received some medical treatment because he had been slightly injured during the siege of Edinburgh.
The general of Leinster was quite capable and secured victory over the Scots who retreated to Abdereen where they were then annihilated. Plantagenet had resumed leadership of the army during the decisive battle. This victory opened the door to completely occupy Scotland. Without an enemy army, this was a most easy task.

5BwrGol.png

WoeP3Hr.jpg

Plantagent marched with the majority of the forces back to London where the Royal Navy was awaiting them to carry them to Caux because the French army had moved to Normandie. The province was under siege and had to be saved.
In early September 1452, he engaged the French which were led by King Charles VII himself. Charles VII was at most a decent general has been reported by English informants. Despite outnumbering the enemy army, Plantagenet was defeated. The English suffered large causalities. Many were wounded. Count Walpole suffered a non-lethal injured and was sent home. He was of no more use on the battlefield after having lost the right leg. Plantagenet could not explain this defeat, nobody could. Elizabeth was most angry.

OhDxGWG.jpg

All these reinforcements required the Crown to take a loan of 154 ducats. An urgent letter was also sent to Lisboa: The Queen asked the Portugues to join the war on her side. Afonso accepted naturally. 10.000 Portuguese men set sail for Labourd on 23 November 1452 where they arrived a month later. "Why the heck were they sailing to Labroud?" thought Plantagenet. Why not to Caux to support his beaten army? Only Afonso V knew.
The Portuguese began to march south to Pau, Bearn, instead of north to Poitou. Why? Nobody knew. Then something unexpected happened: The French abanonded the siege of Normandy and marched back to Burgundy!

1OysZPN.png

To turn the table, Elizabeth was advised by General Plantagenet to hire a company of 6.000 fine sell-swords to support besieging provinces. Another loan had to be taken from Florentine bankers in order to hire them. England was now 308 ducats in debt.
The Queen gave into his decision, inexperienced as she was with warfare. On top of that, a new army formation known as the pike square became the standard formation of England's armies.
The mercenary company was sent together with 3.000 regulars to lay siege on the French capital, Paris. The situation, however, did not improve. The French managed to annihilated the entire Portuguese army at Bearn - all 10.000 Portuguese men died. Unbelievable. The Portuguese had been defending in the hills but the French gave them no chance.

CbqyVwY.png

Elizabeth was relieved that finally some good news arrived from General Plantagenet. In December a letter informed her that his forces successfully pushed the French back at the Battle of Paris without having suffered too many losses. A pleasant surprise! At the Battle of Normandie, he secured another victory over a French army but then the word spread through Europe that Burgundy had agreed to peace with Provence and the moral of the English forces dropped as a consequence of this. Burgundy ceded Franch-Comté to Provence and Chambray to France. Terrible as this meant that the Frenchies now put all their energy into defeating England.

XXSt8hH.jpg

This did not work out too well for France. Even though the mercenary company cost a lot of gold and hurt the English economy quite badly, it secured an on-going siege of the French capital. By July 1454, the massive fortifications of Paris had been breached a couple of times. Some progress!
A month later, the garrison finally surrendered. Many baguettes were burned that day. The mercenary company was disbanded and Elizabeth sent envoys to meet with a French delegation in Gelre. The peace talks had to take place on neutral grounds.
Constantinople had fallen to the Ottomans and Byzantine Refugees were given asylum in England. They might be Orthodox but they are still Christen.

nyNu4IM.jpg

The French delegation arrived in Gelre in late August, 1454, shortly after Aleck Mackay Morgan who submitted the Queen's demands. The Queen initially demanded that the French had to cancel all four of its alliances. They turned this offer down because the English demands included also monetary reparations. After some negotiations, an acceptable treaty was signed by Ser Morgan and the French!
Now that was all left to do was to sign a peace treaty with Scotland. The Scots were ready to accept an unconditnel surrender. The young Queen had triumphed over her enemies. Victory, at last!

Xwk0QV0.png

((Overview screenshots: 3 September 1454))

Ry89afF.jpg

((Ok, so we got a PU over Austria without fighting a succession war! I bet such a succession war would have crippled our army. We also defeated the Scottish after a long war with the French. Our manpower pool is depleted and we had to take two loans but all in all this was ok-ish war. I guess beating France is never supposed to be easy.
So we need to make some decision soon on what to do with Austria and what kind of peace treaty we shall sign with Scotland which will be put up for vote later.

I recommend that we formulate a new expansion plan. Anybody may suggest a new one which will be voted on in the next voting session. I'll propose a new expansion plan in case nobody of you suggests one or in case the suggested plans differ from what I would recommend to do. Of course, if a new plan fails to pass then we'll continue to complete Count Walpole's Expansion Plan which means trying to force a PU over France, given that we have a long truce with Baguette, I recommend we change that plan.))

Your Majesty,

I have received word of the great successes on the European mainland.
I want to wholeheartedly congratulate you with becoming the Archduchess of Austria.
This personal union will be of great importance for our country, in order to pursue our expansion into the France lands.
With most of their alliances disbanded by the peace treaty, we are in an excellent position against them.

I noticed that Cumbria wasn't completely coping with the big amount of men the Army consisted of.
I am afraid that the army organizers did not inform me fully of these numbers, causing us to expect (and thus provide for) less men.

With France beaten, making peace with Scotland is not far away.
I am very interested to hear what plans you have for that issue and look forward to the Royal Assembly vote on this issue.

Your most loyal subject,
William Clifford, Count of Cumbria and Lord of Mann

General,

My congratulations for your victory against the bloody French.
I thank you for the days you and your men spent in Cumbria and am happy that you were able to beat the Scots with clear margin.

((The Queen will now accept new applications for the general/admiral position. The chosen candidate will become genera/admirall after Plantagenet dies/resigns.))

((The Queen is looking to marry again! Suggestions for a suitable candidate are welcomed. She will either foreign ruler or a man of a leading noble house. Elizabeth won't marry a player character. Elizabeth is quite greedy so she will want to use the marriage to further increase her power. Being Queen of England and Archduchess of Austria is not enough.))

((To Count Clifford))
The English Royal Army thanks you for hosting us in Cumbria. I hope that Scotland has been subjugated once and for al and eagerly await the peace talks of Her Majesty with House Stuart. We cannot let the Scots remain a free people. The war was too costly, especially in France I lost many brave men. I do not want this to be for nothing but foreign policy is not my expertise and so I will leave those matters to others.
When you have the time, I invite you to my rural residence in Yorkshire. I might be an old man but I could still show you a trick or two with the sword, if that interests you.

~ Richard Plantagenet, General of the English Royal Army

((To Count Clifford))
William, it is good to hear from you! You cannot imagine how tiring it is to rule over two great nations. The Austrians require much leadership. Friedrich III only knew war, war, war. I think that is what got him killed. Too much war. This must be why war is deeply anchored in the Austrian mentality.

France might lack allies for the moment but a lot can happen between now and the end of the truce, remember that. It would not be wise to speculate that the French will be in a weaker position at the end of the truce. House Valois has always found powerful allies somehow. Underestimating them can lead to defeat and the death of thousands of soldiers. Please understand that I have not given much thought at attacking France again. I am currently busy with the peace negotiations with Scotland. Whatever decision I make, will have a lasting impact on European politics.

General Plantagenet has also informed me that he found the hospitality in Cumbria acceptable, despite the occasional lack of supplies. Feeding such a large army as mine is not an easy task, for that you have my respect. You are a most loyal subject, I pray to the Lord that others will follow your example.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy
((The Queen has so many titles!))

We are truly blessed by your reign, for you have brought us victory against the French, subjugated the Irish, and soon will conquer the Scots. As before, I express my full support of your reign as queen, and that includes your new position as archduchess of Austria. I have heard rumours that you consider remarriage and I hope I am not too frank in making a suggestion. While the Austrian lords have seen you as the best candidate to rule over them with such an unclear succession, your position there will be tenuous for many years. You will need to secure your hold on your new lands. I suggest that you consider marrying a powerful Austrian lord. While many here in England may not approve, it will secure the loyalty of your new Austrian subjects. If we wish for the Austrian people to accept your reign, we must show them that we are willing to treat them with the proper respect. I hope that my advice helps you make a final decision.

- William Benjamin Briggs, Earl of Marches

Reactions:
I ask that my son Christian((4/3/6-Temperate-Ambitious-Brave)) be made into a general of England.He served faithfully as both Captain of the Canterbury Company and a bodyguard to the countess of Nordgau,part of your realm in the Archduchy of Austria near Burgundy.Although young,his experience as a captain of a mercenary makes him battle hardened.His ferocity in battle is only matched by his fearless.
Also,can you make Calais a staple port,while it would madden the Burgundians,the increase in trade power in the Channel is worth it.

Aleck Morgan,1st Count of Calais

Your Majesty, After the loss of my leg at Normandie, I want to humbly request the position of general should Plantagenet die or retire, since I am of little use in battle, other than using a longbow.

-John Walpole, count of Meath

I would like to offer my condolences for the unfortunate loss of your leg while fighting the French. Unfortunately these things happen, but you are lucky to stay alive, as blood lose and infection kill as many people as fighting.
Though I wish you well and hope for a quick recovery.

Edward Andrews.

Personally Edward Andrews didn't like Walpole, thinking he was over zealous against the Irish and others. But Edward respected him, unlike other nobles he had taken up a role as a commander and had risked his life fighting for Queen and Country.

Anyway with a low amount of manpower the expansion plans to attack France would have to be put on hold. But near France was Brittany, Provence and Burgundy, all weakened in wars against France and each other. Now would be the perfect time to strike against the weaker countries and annex or vassalize them.

Modification to the expansion plan, Annex Brittany region.
With our manpower weakened against our war with France and Scotland, we are in no condition to attack France to force our personal union. But Brittany and Provence are weakened in their war against each other and would fall easily against our armies size and quality.
The plan I am proposing is a two to four years of peace, so that our manpower can recover and so that we can pay off the lone. Then we attack both Brittany and Provence and annex them gaining the entire Breton region.

((Wow, we defeated the French and Scottish and with Austria is in a PU with us, we must be strong at the moment.))

We are truly blessed by your reign, for you have brought us victory against the French, subjugated the Irish, and soon will conquer the Scots. As before, I express my full support of your reign as queen, and that includes your new position as archduchess of Austria. I have heard rumours that you consider remarriage and I hope I am not too frank in making a suggestion. While the Austrian lords have seen you as the best candidate to rule over them with such an unclear succession, your position there will be tenuous for many years. You will need to secure your hold on your new lands. I suggest that you consider marrying a powerful Austrian lord. While many here in England may not approve, it will secure the loyalty of your new Austrian subjects. If we wish for the Austrian people to accept your reign, we must show them that we are willing to treat them with the proper respect. I hope that my advice helps you make a final decision.

- William Benjamin Briggs, Earl of Marches
((To Benjamin Briggs))
Your suggestion is noted. Marrying into one of the influential Austrian noble houses is one of the options that is on the table. For the time being, I have sent my older brother Thomas to Vienna. An important person from the Royal Family shall always be in Austria to show the Austrians that I care about them.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

(To Aleck Morgan))
Your son is too inexperienced and has no reputation as a good commander. I am not sure if he is fit to become general of England.

((Just a heads up, you may only apply for envoy/general positions for your own character.))

((To John Walpole))
I am sorry about your tragic loss on the battlefield. Nevertheless, I must decline your request. A man with one leg is not fit to lead the Royal English Army into battle. You cannot run, you cannot even walk properly. I suggest you put an end to your military career. I need a general who has experience on the battlefield, a good reputation and who is healthy. Imagine you'd have to retreat from a battle. If you cannot run then you are already dead when retreating.
Have you thought about your connection to the Lord lately? You could always stay at a monastery to find your inner peace. I heard the on in Kent is recommendable. I have been told that the brothers of the monastery do not differentiate between cripples and healthy men.

((@Rapop101 please send me your modified expansion plan as PM here on the forum so that I won't forget about it when we'll vote. Thanks :) ))

Reactions:
Your Majesty, I would be honoured if you were to consider me for the position of general. Without hesitation, I would lead your armies against the pretender in Paris. And, of course, I would do the same against any of your enemies.

Also, I would recommend that you seek an Austrian husband so as to discourage any Austrian pretenders trying to declare independence.

Oliver Talbot,
Count of Caux.

Reactions:
The English Royal Army thanks you for hosting us in Cumbria. I hope that Scotland has been subjugated once and for al and eagerly await the peace talks of Her Majesty with House Stuart. We cannot let the Scots remain a free people. The war was too costly, especially in France I lost many brave men. I do not want this to be for nothing but foreign policy is not my expertise and so I will leave those matters to others.
When you have the time, I invite you to my rural residence in Yorkshire. I might be an old man but I could still show you a trick or two with the sword, if that interests you.

~ Richard Plantagenet, General of the English Royal Army

General,

Thank you for your invitation to your residence in Yorkshire.
As it is not too far away from Cumbria, I would be interested to meet you and maybe learn a trick or two with a sword.

Your Majesty, I would be honoured if you were to consider me for the position of general. Without hesitation, I would lead your armies against the pretender in Paris. And, of course, I would do the same against any of your enemies.

Also, I would recommend that you seek an Austrian husband so as to discourage any Austrian pretenders trying to declare independence.

Oliver Talbot,
Count of Caux.
((To Oliver Talbot))
My dearest Oliver,
I am glad to hear that you are interested in becoming general of tge English Royal Army. Keeping such an important position within the family is what I had in mind. General Plantagent has informed me that he will retire within a year. I suggest you read some military treaties in the meantime.

((Btw I think you never announced if Oliver married Anne or not. I'll have her marry an NPC before the voting session if the marriage between them doesn't take place :p
Also I need a stat focus of Oliver.))

Edit: ((I'm on mobile and won't be at my PC until tomorrow.
Wishing you all a happy new year!))

((I hope you don't have dogs that are scared of fireworks. This will be one long night...))

Your royal highness,

I would like to congratulate you on becoming the Archduchess of Austria. It seems your radiance and power not only rules these islands, but truly projects overseas. I am glad to see that the navy succesfully protected the French coasts. I hear talks of expansion among the court and plans as to what to do next. There are many great ports along the French coast. I would like to advise focussing there. Provence and Brittany have many ports and would be adjacent to our lands, it would prove a boon to both our trade and the navy.

Humbly,

Renato Noguiera

((Does anyone know what happens to the Burgundian Inheritance event in this unique situation? Do we have a chance/better chance of getting that now? Also, who is the Holy Roman Emperor at the moment? Oh and Happy New year everybody.))

((Does anyone know what happens to the Burgundian Inheritance event in this unique situation? Do we have a chance/better chance of getting that now? Also, who is the Holy Roman Emperor at the moment? Oh and Happy New year everybody.))
((All enjoy the yearchange and a happy new year!

Hesse is currently the emperor (see update). I'm not sure what it'll do for the Burgundian events, normally the emperor gets the non-French provinces?))

((The Holy Roman Emperor in the newest update is Ludwig of Hessen, why is it Hessen is always chosen as the emperor when I play, they are so weak.

For The Burgundian Inheritance, the emperor needs at least 8 provinces and is not at war. Otherwise it can go to any nation that has a royal marriage with Burgundy and/or is its neighbor. It can also go To Castille/Spain, but it will not go to us or any other country in the British isles. So it may go to France, but depending on how many marriges it has it could go to anyone.

Hopefully this helped and Happy New Year to everyone.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((To Oliver Talbot))
My dearest Oliver,
I am glad to hear that you are interested in becoming general of tge English Royal Army. Keeping such an important position within the family is what I had in mind. General Plantagent has informed me that he will retire within a year. I suggest you read some military treaties in the meantime.

((Btw I think you never announced if Oliver married Anne or not. I'll have her marry an NPC before the voting session if the marriage between them doesn't take place :p
Also I need a stat focus of Oliver.))

Edit: ((I'm on mobile and won't be at my PC until tomorrow.
Wishing you all a happy new year!))

((Apologies, I'll be sure to post the marriage soon. Also, his focus was on Military, but he rolled higher in ADM (6/4/4))).