• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Mr. Andrews, what a delight to finally meet you. You must tell me, how does one come back from the continent of the African man and stay in this cursed rain and cold? How do you not die of longing for the sun? I must know your secret."
A Delight to meet you as well Mr Renato, a secret that I have told no one is that i actually dislike the warm weather and prefer the cold, I as well have no idea why and it must be something about staying on ships for long periods of time and liking the cold air. The only reason I stayed in Africa for so long is that of all the wonders that are there, truly there are some magnificent creatures that are found nowhere else, one of them is the peacock a beautiful bird with magnificent feathers that outclass any birds here in England. The food as well is amazing, you have to try crocodile once in your life, I wonder Renato since you are from Portugal and the Portuguese are renowned explorers and traders, have you ever been to Africa.

"I was meant to, by all means. When I came of age however, my father deemed it fit to send me here. The family had ever expanding interests in the western Europe and North Sea trade. Our operation, while profitable, is small and father would rather have a trusted and close man here to run the business, so no one else was deemed fit to take charge. I plan on making up for it at some point, to sail around the country of Morocco and explore what is termed the Gold Coast and see if it lives up to its name. If only there was more time in the world, it seems as if I do not dictate my own life but I'm dragged along from business to business. It's nice to exchange with a man who has seen this parts. If you ever find yourself in Portsmouth, know a glass of wine is ready at all times by the hearth. I must admit I never do get used to the cold and therefore seek comfort inside. It was a pleasure to finally meet you."

Chapter III - Insanity
After Afonso V had arrived back in Lisboa, Henry VI received a letter which stated that he had arrived there safe and sound. The Crown had managed to build some trust with her ally but not enough to convince them to support Count Walpole's plan to reclaim Armagnac. The province had been lost to the French in the on-going Hundred Years War and all attempts to reclaim it had failed so far.
The wars against Tyrone and connacht had come to an end in August 1448 but spies were already working on fabricating a claim on Munster, the last independent Irish Earldom. Henry had also been advised to send spies to Scotland and France to claim additional provinces. Another consequence of these wars was that the fort in Dublin was no-longer needed to be maintained during times of peace, increasing the monthly royal budget. These extra ducats were spent to increase the security of the royal palace, Henry became with every day more paranoid.

1AqhB1M.png

3et2CiX.png

During their talks in London, Afonso said that he had no interest in going to war because he had only rose to throne approximately one year ago. This is why Henry was most surprised when in November 1448, another letter arrived from Lisboa in the capital. This time it was a call to arms! Portugal had declared war on Morocco to conquer Gharb. Afonso said no word about this and England was unprepared with the army not being at full-maintenance. Henry immediately called his many advisors to the throne room and after a long debate among the advisors, Henry instructed one of them to send a reply to Afonso saying that the English will stand with their ally. Despite honouring the call to arms, Henry felt bad. His paranoia got worse and worse and he started to question himself: Why had Afonso not told him about his campaign against Morocco when he was in London? He was worried that Afonso did not trust him; who could blame Afonso though, given that Henry rarely trusted anybody.

2bfoazo.png

The following month, Richard Plantagenet and 12.000 brave English men set sail from Glamorganshire. The voyage lasted for 51 days and on 21 January 1449, Plantagenet arrived at the Straits of Gibraltar. Once arrived, Plantagenet and his men landed in Gharb to support the outnumbered 9.000 Portuguese men.

nqoLn1h.png

rxPHjje.png

Gharb felly quickly because it lacked a fort and so Plantagenet marched on Fez, the Moroccan capital. Fez was a huge city with massive fortifications. Soon Plantagenet realized that it would take some time to make the hostile garrison surrender.
Meanwhile in April 1449, reinforcements from Alentejo arrived in Tangiers which was being besieged by Portuguese troops. Morocco's army was trying to take Portugal's enclave Ceuta. Which of the three province was going to fall first?
In England, Henry suffered from his paranoia. His wife Elizabeth had taken over most of the day to day business. He rarely left the royal palace anymore.

ud07MII.png

Excerpt from Henry VI's personal journal; April 1449
[. . .]

Life in the palace gets worse every day. I see more and more shadows that I feel are haunting me, no matter where I try to hide. Some look like monsters, others like humans I have met before. Some of those shades resemble my advisors. Shall I not trust them anymore? Do I need new advisors? Do I need any advisors? What if my advisors have been bribed by the enemy? Maybe the work for the French? Just the thought drives me crazy.
My son - he rarely talks to me. I always see him with his Elizabeth or with his tutor. Are they taking away my son from me? I should imprison James. He could be trying to take away my son. But I can't. If I
imprison him then who will tutor him?
I still haven't forgotten Afonso for not entrusting me with his plan to invade Morocco during his last visit and I question if I made the right move by honouring their call to arms. After all, I only did so because my advisors told me to do so. If these advisors work for the enemy then I made the wrong decision. Oh God! What have I done!
I feel ike I need to leave this palace, go somewhere safe. But where? Where am I a safe? Safe from these nobles who might still question my claim, despite not having it voiced openly. A small island maybe like the Isle of Man? Oh, I don't know. All these questions and no answers. What have I done to deserve this miserable life!
[. . .]

Richard Plantagenet's siege engineers reported that they made some progress in July: The walls of Fez had been breached! The siege was progressing as planned without nasty surprises.
Meanwhile in Europe, Henry had been told that Charles I de Bourgogne rose to the throne in Burgundy. Only bad could come from this. Some months later, Charles declared war on Provence and her ally France. If only the English allies were to support a war against the French...
At least in September 1449, the English spies completed forging the necessary documents to go to war against the last of the independent Irish Earldoms: Munster. With General Plantagenet fighting Morocco, the army was led by a general of Leinster by the name Séaghdhá Mac Fhlannchaidh.
At the battle of Munster, the troops under his command annihilated the entire enemy army. They then began to besiege the town of Cork in which Earl Turloguh IV O'Brien was hiding.

qcsXp8l.png

VWRq153.png

Count Aleck Mackay Morgan sent a letter to His Majesty reporting that the local city guard of Calais had caught an enemy spy who was trying to fabricate a claim on the province! The spy was interrogated in Calais before being executed. Queen Elizabeth had proposed a law which allowed the execution of all foreign spies that were caught in England. Her husband signed it during one of his rare moments in which his paranoia was at a minimum. Hopefully this law was going to deter other countries from sending their spies to England.
Morgan had also a request for the Crown: The Scots Trading Company had picked up new concepts for handling trade from Portuguese merchants. He asked Henry to make an investment as he was confident that it would be very beneficial for the realm in the long run. Henry never read the letter but the Queen eventually replied and agreed to spare no expenses.

b2hwwjK.png

In Morocco the Portuguese army at Tangier was making excellent Progress while the Moroccan forces had trouble taking Ceuta. Tangier fell first, shortly after the garrison of Fez surrendered. The siege had lasted exactly one year. With the sieges won Portugal attacked the Moroccan forces at Ceuta. Plantagenet and his men left the enemy's capital to support the Portuguese army.

HUEKvLC.png

In late February 1450, Henry's paranoia and insanity reached a new level. There were days in which he would lock himself in for hours in fear that someone was going to take away his claim to the throne. When the insanity got worse, he ordered random works of the royal palace to be executed in fear that they might be plotting against him. Nobody was able to prevent this madness, not even even his wife Elizabeth. By early March no less than eight innocent civilians had been executed.
On 24 March 1450, the insanity triumphed: Henry could not live this life any longer. He climbed all the stairs to one of the palace's many high towers. Once he reached the top, he jumped down before any of the guards could stop him. The king was dead.
Days before this tragic event, Henry had signed a will stating that the Queen shall rule after his death. Henry must have planed his death for some time. Most likely he was always too scared to commit suicide, eventually his insanity not only became stronger than his fear but also the reason for his death.

dKNiCHv.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Author's comments.

On 24 March we got the event Margaret of Anjou from the women's in history DLC. The original event made little sense for the narrative of the iAAR because we have a different Queen, etc. This is why I edited the event to make our Queen the new ruler of England.
The original event looked like this:
PrSzZBo.png

Presenting Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth Talbot

Citizens of England,
My husband Henry has committed suicide but fear not. Lately, I have dealt with many of the day to day issues concerning the kingdom. I shall rule over England as your rightful Queen with my son Matthew as heir.
With immediate effect, I have ordered that
  1. The families of the people that my husband had executed in his madness shall receive a compensation paid by the Crown.
  2. The Irish citizens that were unjustly imprisoned by Count Walpole in Dublin shall be released.
  3. General Plantagenet shall return with his men from Morocco to the capital if the situation allows it.

((Elizabeth has the traits Greedy, Gregarious, Brave))

Letter to Queen Elizabeth Talbot,

Condolences with the loss of your husband, your Majesty. May his great and prosperous reign never be forgotten!

- John Walpole

((Using John Walpole's wife for this IC))

Elizabeth and Peter walked to the harbor of Dublin.

Elizabeth: "Peter, you will go to London. You will study and learn. Don't write home. Daddy may not know what happened to you."

Peter: "Why can Daddy not know what happened?"

E: "Don't ask questions. Just go."

Elizabeth gets tears in her eyes.

E: "I will miss you, Peter..."

Peter walked onto the ship filled with guards.

------------------------------------------------------

Elizabeth got back home. She told that Peter got kidnapped and that she only barely managed to escape. This may not have been good for his madness. She hoped he would be the right personality this time...

Oh God! Henry had died. Frederick though all that time and money wasted to help him with his demons yet the devil would not leave him.

On top of that in his last days a new bishop in Canterbury had been appointed. A new rival the way the young chaffinch saw it. This forced him into action and he wrote a letter to Queen Elizabeth.

(Letter to the Queen)
Your majesty I offer the deepest condolences for the loss of your husband I hope you and the young prince are coping as best as you can in these dire times.

As a servant of Henry and the families priest I offer my services for the funeral of his majesty as well as any comfort I can give you and your son.

In lighter news it has come to my attention you were named as Henry's heir and I would be honoured to conduct your coronation in any setting you see fit I hope this can cement our friendship and trust in an age of treachery and deceit.

Grievingly, Frederick

To her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth,

it is with sadness I received the news of the death of your husband. May he find in death the peace he never found in life. I will be there to pay my last respects to him when the time comes. May your son grow up a man not haunted by his father's demons.

Sincerely

Renato Noguiera

Letter to Queen Elizabeth Talbot

My condolences for the unfortunate death of your husband.
I hope that your son will be able to cope with the loss of his farther.
I will be at the funeral to pay my respects to the king.

Respectfully

Edward Andrews.

((Private to Frederick Chaffinch))
Frederick, your offer is most generous. I have arranged to get crowned here in the capital in a fortnight.You have provided the Royal Family with spiritual guidance for years and so I'd be honored if you would crow me. I'd also request that you be present at Henry's funeral. He shall be buried in seven days.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Duchess of Aquitaine and Duchess of Normandy

- - - - - - - -

((Invitations to the Royal Coronation and the funeral of King Henry VI))
Noblemen of England,
King Henry VI has tragically passed away and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth has arranged his funeral in the capital to honor his accomplishments which include the establishment of English dominance over Ireland. Among the foreign monarch that notified Queen Elizabeth to come are Friedrich III of Austria and Afonso V of Portugal. The funeral shall take place in London in seven days. This is you opportunity to pay respect to the man who was your king and Her Majesty's husband.

~ Ser Henry Thomper, advisor to Queen Elizabeth

- - - - - - - - -

Citizens of England,
Queen Elizabeth shall be crowned in London within a fortnight. You are all invited to attend the coronation ceremony of Her Majesty led by Bishop Chaffinch.

~ Ser Henry Thomper, advisor to Queen Elizabeth

((Letter to Queen Elizabeth Talbot))
My Queen, the french have already shown their discomfort towards a woman ruling them so I humbly request the county of Labourd to keep it under control. I know that I have done nothing to deserve this honor but I wish nothing more than to serve this country and see the Royal Family flourish.

I know this might seem untimely due to the death of your husband, I hope you understand that I only have the kingdom's best interest at heart.

-Your servant, Miguel Becket

Last edited:
Your Grace,
I shall attend both ceremonies! Long live the Queen!

((Also, another letter is sent to all noblemen and clergymen of England))

To All Who Receive This Letter,
Wonderful news! Me and my wonderful, beautiful wife Elizabeth Walpole have produced a baby boy after 2 years of marriage! His name shall be Arthur after the legendary King Arthur, and we'll be holding a private baptism for the lad.

To Queen Elizebeth of England
I offer you my condolences for the death for you husband,Henry,King of England.It is most unfortunate.I will pay my respects to the king in his funeral.Long Live Elizabeth I,Queen of England!

Aleck,Count of Calais.

To Count Lloyd.
Congrats on the birth of your son,Arthur.

1 September 1449

To all my acquaintinces in the royal court of England.

As you all may know, I have been looking for a wife for quite some time. It is therefore with great pleasure I announce to you my marriage to Solange Noguiera (née Lima). I have brought her with me to Portsmouth and I hope to soon announce her pregnancy.

With kind regards,

Renato Noguiera

((At the feast of 1448))

John was enjoying the feast. He saw that Thomas Lancaster was at the feast. He asked the man for a private discussion.

John: "Your highness, I have a request about your daughter Sophia."

Thomas: "What is it?"

J: "I want to arrange a betrothal between my son Peter and your daughter Sophia."

T: "How old is your son?"

J: "Four years old."

T: "You do know that Sophia is only one year old?"

J: "Yes, I do. But the earlier the Betrothal, the better the relationship between the two."

T: "That is true. But I want the matrilinial at least."

J: "I could accept that."

T: "It's a deal then!"

((This post was approved by @delpiero1234))

Your Majesty,

My condolences to you and your family for the passing of your husband and our King, Henry VI. May he find the peace he couldn't find in life.
I will be in attendance for his funeral and your coronation ceremony.

Your humble subject,
William Clifford, Count of Cumbria and Lord of Mann

Reactions:
January 1449

To all courtiers and noblemen that may find themselves concerned,

as some of you may have become aware, recently another betrothal in the royal court has been struck. At the time of betrothing, one party was 4 years old and the other not more than one year of age! We are talking about connecting the lives of two souls that have barely come into this world, let alone come into their own. I feel this is wrong for many reasons and no matter the political circumstance, we should allow at least for a child to have been grown and nourished into a person before we commit them to a life with each other. We should not lose sight of the fact that these are people and not cattle we deal with. Any devout Catholic should not treat God's creation in such a way. It is in this light that I propose the following law be put into a vote, concerning all future betrothals:

The children's soul conservation act

A betrothal, no matter the circumstance, may not be intended or initiated if either party is not at least 10 years of age.Violaters of the law will be publicly denounced by a bishop as disrespecting of God's creation and fined by the local authorities accordingly.

I strongly urge you all to respect the souls of our children and not reduce them to mere trade goods.

((In case it's not clear from the post, I propose this for future betrothals, I'm not seeking to annul any things already established. As always, voting begins whenever the king/queen picks it up))

Last edited:
I fervently agree with Mr. Nogueira's proposal! This act is simply vile!

Bishop chaffinch looked at this new law and laughed. This Portuguese clearly failed to understand the long tradition of bethrothals that had secured countless alliances across the land. The Church had no issue with these betrothals either. Frederick hoped it was simply a misunderstanding of culture as that seemed the only excuse to such a weird proposition.

Reactions:
January 1449

To all courtiers and noblemen that may find themselves concerned,

as some of you may have become aware, recently another betrothal in the royal court has been struck. At the time of betrothing, one party was 4 years old and the other not more than one year of age! We are talking about connecting the lives of two souls that have barely come into this world, let alone come into their own. I feel this is wrong for many reasons and no matter the political circumstance, we should allow at least for a child to have been grown and nourished into a person before we commit them to a life with each other. We should not lose sight of the fact that these are people and not cattle we deal with. Any devout Catholic should not treat God's creation in such a way. It is in this light that I propose the following law be put into a vote, concerning all future betrothals:

The children's soul conservation act

A betrothal, no matter the circumstance, may not be intended or initiated if either party is not at least 10 years of age.Violaters of the law will be publicly denounced by a bishop as disrespecting of God's creation and fined by the local authorities accordingly.

I strongly urge you all to respect the souls of our children and not reduce them to mere trade goods.

((In case it's not clear from the post, I propose this for future betrothals, I'm not seeking to annul any things already established. As always, voting begins whenever the king/queen picks it up))
John heard of the new law and said: "This act in itself disrespects God's creation."

Reactions: