• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 17 - The Benedictian Crusade (II)

The Low Countries were in turmoil, Catholics and Dutch separatists combined their efforts to rise up in arms. The County of Amsterdam was currently vacant after Peter Phillips had been declared an enemy of the state and so the Crown had to take action to prevent the situation from escalating further. Harsh treatment on the Dutch people was an absolute necessity to regain control. Furthermore, Queen Elizabeth ordered the Royal Army under General Walter Briggs to patrol the area between Calais and Amsterdam after he had recovered from the last defeat.
So far, none of the crusaders had threatened England directly and it was Walter Briggs' duty to keep the English Channel safe. Meanwhile, Benjamin Lancaster moved out of Limburg and marched on Cologne, hoping he could seize the city quickly. After he reached Cologne, crusaders were spotted at the gated Limburg. They were trying to liberate the city from English occupation.

PGXf5pd.png

In Anglica, Conquistador Benjamin York had stumbled over a fairly large silver ore deposit during an expedition in Olancho. The deposits were defended by a group of natives which his men took care of before they brought the silver to their vessels. From there they were transported via New Dover and Cayor in West Africa to Britain. The new acting Master of Coin, Henry Lancaster, was very happy about Benjamin York's discovery because it filled the coffins quite nicely.
Two more report from France and Austria reached the capital. The first informed the Crown of a French victory of a Papal army. The French had suffered great casualties but came out on top. The content of the second letter was more precarious: Austria was facing a religious civil war. The far majority of the Austrians were still Catholic and rejected the Church of England with its new dogma. A worrying situation.

vxZC628.png

The Master of Coin noticed that England's financial situation was slightly better than predicted and the discovery of the silver in Olancho had also contributed to Henry Lancaster's decision to fund the expansion of the Royal trade fleet by ten barques. He also green-lighted plans for infrastructural improvements in Brest.
More good news arrived from Anglica. Another colony had become self-sustaining. The colony was named New Oxford after the city in England. Its population was mostly Protestant which was unusual. The majority of the people in New Dover and New York were Jews and Catholics. New Oxford proved to be a successful colony and inspired more Protestants to head for the New World.

EuZrvRW.png

The crusaders regained control of Limburg after a successful siege on 11 August 1497, about six weeks before Benjamin Lancaster occupied Cologne. Oddly, the crusaders did not attack the Low Countries after their victory but instead laid siege on Aachen. It could have been that Walter Briggs’ army in the area was enough to deter them, even though had split his army in half. 16.000 of his soldiers were sent to Amsterdam to suppress the Dutch separatists.
With Cologne under English control, Benjamin Lancaster's singe corps was bombarding Limburg again. He was confident that the garrison was still small and weak and that the city was right for the taking. His judgment did not betray him and before the end of the year, Limburg was sacked. More crusaders were seen in the area and the generals had to be careful about their next moves. With so many crusaders in close proximity to the English Low Countries, Polish and Austrian forces made successful pushes against the enemy in Austria.

OO3fGht.png

More Protestant settlers flocked to the colonies and founded a new town near New Oxford. It was unique because it was the first English settlement which bordered a permanent native settlement. It was still unclear whether this would lead to trade and prosperity or to war.
The Church of England was also able to spread its influence in Britain further. The Highlands converted thanks to the efforts of Friar Peter Andrews' mission. However, in Austria Protestantism remained unpopular and the first Catholic zealots rebelled against Queen Elizabeth's rule.

MTIOiqI.png

In Vienna, more than 20.000 Catholics had managed to breach the city walls and in Ostmarch a smaller revolt had occurred which was put down by an Austrian army. However, the rebellion in Vienna was too strong for the Austrian military and so the rebels had a good chance of occupying the prestigious city. The Crown was worried that the moral could drop if the city would fall. The Queen was also troubled by a particularly poor vintage of Bordeaux wine which was bad for the realm's prestige. Not only French noblemen complained about the wine. It was not even the Crown's fault because the poor vintage was caused by excessive rainfall during spring and summer.

E6DSJ0m.png

Elizabeth's problems did not diminish: After the wine crisis was over, it became public knowledge that the Crown Prince had an odd taste for fashion, some even said his taste was unchristian. Instead of scolding him publicly, Elizabeth ignored the matter - for now. She was focused on winning the crusade but she kept getting distracted by bad news. Benjamin York had discovered large native civilisations which he named the Maya and Aztecs. So far so good but he quickly learned that their peoples were were hostile, brutal savages. One of them injured him so badly that he had to trade gem stones for medicine. The gems stones were worth more than a small fortune but the natives wanted them all. He had no choice but to accept the trade - he was too weak for a fight.

FKmfn1Y.png

After the Ottomans seized the island of Chios from Genoa, Venice became the last remaining Christian force in the area, not counting the weak crusaders of the Order of Saint John. The Turks had driven out the Christians almost completely from the Eastern Mediterranean.
In July 1498, the combined forces of Poland and Austria secured a major victory against German crusaders from Bavaria and Ulm in Kärnten, a few kilometres outside of Klagenfurt. It was the turning point in the war because the crusaders were slowly but steadily pushed out of Austria from that moment on. Poland had made an incredible comeback! Pope Benedict was unable to support the crusaders further because the Holy City was under siege by Lüneburg. Benedict had honored a call to arms from Hungary against Bohemia and while Hungary was winning the war, the Papal capital had seen better days - that was for sure. It was uncertain though if the Pope was in Rome or hiding elsewhere.

vmVlSQZ.png

It seemed like the medicine which Benjamin York had trade his gem stones was not enough to save his life. He died of his wounds after some Aztecs attacked his camp. His men had left him behind and regrouped in a safe area. One of their own, Humphrey Cavendish, continued leading the expedition. They were better off without the injured Benjamin York who had only slowed them down.
Meanwhile in England, Walter Briggs left the port of Middleburg together with a strong army of 25.000. Destination Italy. Now or never was the time to attack the seat of Pope Benedict. Unfortunately, three weeks after General Briggs had left port, the Hungary agreed to peace with Bohemia in exchange for three of their provinces, a fourth province was returned to a third party.

TS8tAi6.png

The war for the Ferrarese throne was not going in Castile's favor. The Castilians had lost pretty much their entire army to the Venetians and Aragon. They were without allies and the majority of their lands was already occupied but Castile refused to make peace.
With General Bernard Lancaster being stationed in Amsterdam, the rebellious Catholic zealots were driven out of the city and soon the citizens realized how corrupt the Papacy really was and converted much to the Church of England's enjoyment.
On 27 October 1498, the English fleet reached the coast of Ostia near Rome where the troops made an amphibious landing. They quickly took the port and then marched on Rome, encountering no opposition on their way.

3wSptXJ.png

Unfortunately, the Austrian and Polish armies ignored the Catholic zealots in Austria for too long and so Vienna fell into their hands. Shortly after they took Vienna, the rebels also occupied Graz. Only then Poland realized the danger of the rebel scum and so General Lubranski engaged the rebels on the battlefield where he defeated the rebels with much ease on 18 April 1499.
By that time, General Briggs had reached Rome. The first mortar shots were fired at the gates of the seat of the Papacy on 2 December 1498. A few months later, food shortages in Rome were observed. The siege was going well, thanks to the six regiments of artillery which had been shipped from Middleburg to Ostia together with all the other heavy equipment.

IDJyqcL.png

At last, on 7 July 1499, the Ferrarese Succession War came to an end with King Ferran of Aragon triumphing over Castile. His regency council negotiated a very favorable peace treaty which saw Aragon gaining no less than six provinces. They also kept the Ferrarese throne and thereby established a dominion over Italy. Naples and Sicily had already been part of King Ferran's realm.
Sure, the war was mostly won because of Venice's support but Aragon was a force to be reckoned with. They had a strong army, a fairly large navy and strong allies.
Poland was in trouble because crusaders had been sighted at the gates of Warsaw. The Polish army, however, was busy in Austria and had to retreat. Just in time, their army arrived to defeat the besiegers.

zVveWRU.png

The siege corps of General Briggs' sacked the walls of Rome after 241 days. Since 31 July 1499, the Vatican was under English occupation. The crusaders have failed. Pope Benedict was nowhere to be found though. Some believed he had escaped the city, others that he was hiding in some whole in Rome. Briggs' men occupied the remaining Papal provinces in Italy in no time.
Most likely the Pope had managed to escape Rome and was hiding in Avignon after he was nowhere to be found in Italy.
Wilhem Hayk passed away only a few months after Italy was completely occupied. His death saddened the Queen as she lost her most successful explorer. Hayk's discovery of Anglica guaranteed him a place in the history books and of course a state funeral in Canterbury.

Bnicf0k.png

England underwent a period of great innovations in November 1499 with improvements to the bureaucracy, economy, banking and much more. Two months later, Elizabeth sent diplomats to Avignon to make peace with Pope Benedict XIII. The Catholic Church had lost!

mNN9OTT.png

67I1hoi.png

wsr20YQ.png

((Open Positions

Master of Coin
Ambassador
2x Royal Merchant
2x Colonist
1x Diplomat
1x General
1x Conquistador

Concerning Characters

Peter Phillips is still in a prison cell in Rome. I encourage @ThePatriotOfDreumel and @05060403 to solve this issue before the next update.
Wilhem Hayk was killed by the RNG @SpKampfer))

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Before Queen Elizabeth sent the diplomats to Avignon, she went to the Royal Assembly to give the people of England a chance to voice their opinion on the situation. A wise monarch knows the value good advice.

((At the Royal Assembly))
I stand here before you today to announce that my armies have crushed the crusaders led by Pope Benedict XIII. Rome and the Papal State is under Italian occupation, thanks to the efforts of the brave men who participated in the assault which General Walter Briggs has led. Many thousand Englishmen are still in Italy.

Spies have located the Pope in Avignon. Royal diplomats will depart for Avignon shortly to conduct peace negotiations with a Papal delegation. Before I make up my mind on what demands the diplomats shall deliver, I want to give you the opportunity to debate the war and a possible peace treaty in these great halls. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Elizabeth sat down and was eagerly waiting for what the delegates had to say.

((You have time to debate the war and a possible peace treaty until Saturday 21:00 CET. This deadline may be prolonged if found necessary.
After the debate, the Queen will decide what peace treaty she wants negotiated by her diplomats. If the chosen diplomat(s) and the Pope are up for a joint-IC they can then write about the peace treaty. The Pope can reject unreasonable peace treaties but has to accept peace treaties which the AI would accept. For example, if England would only demand Rome from the Pope then the Pope has to cede it.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((At the assembly.))

Anna Blois-Rogers: "My gracious Queen, honored Assembly,

I am happy that the bloodshed are finally over. We should all take some moments to celebrate peace, and to honor the immense sacrifice of our generals and soldiers. And congratulations are in order for our Queen and her Generals. I would like to personally ask the Queen and our Chancellor of our possibilities to partion the beaten Papacy? Which countries may be liberated from it's clutches, if any, or who they have as vassals. I would also like to ask the same question about Lithuania and Leon. That would be all for now".

((I would like to see if the Papacy have any releaseble nations)).

((At the Royal Assembly)

Countess Balois-rogers, the Papal forces unrightfully suppress the people of Urbino and Avignon. The Pope also unrightfully controls the Florentine province of Arezzo. These people could be liberated but I wonder why we should liberate Catholics? What have the Catholics done for us? The people of Urbino, Arezzo and Avignon are strongly Catholic after all.

((We only demand to release Avignon, Gelre and Urbino as independent countries. The provinces Arezzo and Avignon can also be returned to Florence and Provence respectfully. The AI will decline to release/return Avignon because we don't occupy the fort but the Pope may agree to it in a peace deal since he is a human player.

We can't release any other countries or return their provinces because we do neither occupy provinces in Leon nor in Lithuania. In fact, Portugal is completely occupied by the crusaders. They lost a few battles and in the end lost the siege of Lisbon which was the downfall of Portugal. If Portugal was not occupied then our war score would be much higher.))

Anna Blois-Rogers: "Thank you your Highness. I will take notes of your report on the Papacy. The reason are purely out of political considerations, if we break up the Papist conclave we will in the long run weaken not only their power on the Italian peninsula but Christendom as a whole. We have a chance to greatly weaken the Pope's domain, I think we should take it. Other than that perhaps these states and people will see our grace and will join our glorious Reformation. Or perhaps we could install a duke or king of our choice? Other than that thank you for your time, I will medidate on what we should do, and listen to the other proposals"

Reactions:
July 1499

Walter William Briggs stood outside Rome, as he had all those years ago. Last time he had served as the city's saviour, rescuing the pope and the Church. It had been a path he had chosen willingly, for he had believed it to be the true path. Now he had to returned, but not as a saviour. The walls of Rome crumbled before his force and he knew that soon his men would march through the great city. It stung a little to know that he would be responsible for the city's downfall, for his grievances were not with its people or even the Church, but rather the pope himself. He had saved the man before, but in turn that same man had turned on his home country. This crusade had more than anything opened Walter's eyes to the truth of the Church. They wanted blind obedience enforced through violence if need be. Walter had been torn between his loyalty to the Crown and to the Church, but the Crown had won out in the end. He understood his queen's choices, if perhaps they were a bit drastic for Walter, but they were at least for the betterment of England. He could not, however, sympathize with the pope. His Holiness had brought this upon himself.

Walter was interrupted from his thoughts as a soldier approached and informed him that the walls had been breached. His men were ready to pour into the city at his command. Walter knew that despite his intentions, there would be raping and pillaging and other atrocities. Such things could not be entirely avoided when at war. There was no choice but to proceed. With one last look at the city, Walter gave the order to move into the city before going to fetch his horse. He would ride into the city with his men and hopefully catch a glimpse of its splendours before it started to burn.

Reactions:
((At the assembly.))

Anna Blois-Rogers: Dear Assembly, my Queen: I believe we should make a demand to the spineless leader of the Rome; extradite the treacherous former petty Count of Amsterdam! He have to pay for his crimes toward Queen, Country and God. This will be all for now, I hope that you will all agree with me on this.

Reactions:
((Private))

A carriage pulled up the Briggs's estate in Marches, and young Clara rushed out to meet the guests. So few people visited the castle when her father was away. She watched eagerly as the carriage stopped and the driver hopped from his seat to open the door. A distinguished-looking man strutted out, followed by a young black-haired boy. The gentleman walked by without a glance her way, but the boy eyed her curiously. A servant led them into the castle, and Clara followed closely behind, tailing them through her home. They eventually arrived at the castle's study, where Clara's mother met with the gentleman. Clara remained outside the doorway, peeking inside and trying to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Where is the lord of the house?" the gentleman asked in broken English. His accent was thick, making it difficult to understand his words.

"I'm afraid my husband is away on campaign. He will not return until the war is over," Chastity, Clara's mother, said.

The gentleman raised his nose up as though insulted. "I had hoped to resolve this matter with all expediency."

"I am certain I can help iron out the details for my husband's return," Chastity said.

The Frenchman scoffed at that. "This is not a woman's place."

Chastity frowned at that and said, "My daughter is to be duchess of Mercia some day, Count Laval. A woman is at the very centre of this issue."

"Quite," Guy de Laval conceded. "Very well, shall we proceed then."

Count Laval's servant placed a document down on the table. Chastity read over it, nodding her consent as she read. "So you agree that a union between your son and my daughter will be matrilineal?"

"I am well aware of your predicament, what with no sons to succeed Duke Briggs. Nicolas here is my third son and my first and second have already provided me with grandsons. My titles will not be in jeopardy because of this match."

Chastity smiled. "I am glad you are so understanding on the matter."

Guy de Laval fiddled with his mustache before he said, "And you must understand that this union does not come without costs. I fully expect that your husband will be willing to represent French interests at court. There are still those in France who do not like being ruled by the English, but those who are loyal expect to be fairly represented before our new queen."

"I am certain my husband fully understands your situation."

Guy smiled for the first time since arriving. "Good, then the basics are settled. Let us delve into the details."

The two droned on about various aspects of the betrothal, but Clara had grown bored long before that. She wandered off, looking for something interesting to do. During her wandering, she stumbled upon Nicolas, staring out a large window at the overcast sky.

"Hello," Clara said as she inched up next to the boy. He appeared only a few years older than her, but seemed to possess the refined composure of an adult. He glanced over at her with a smile.

"Is it always so dreary here?" Nicolas asked, looking up at the dark clouds above. "Duke Briggs told me so much about England but forgot to mention the weather."

"You've met my father?" Clara asked.

Nicolas grinned, looking down at the girl. "He stayed at my father's castle in France years ago. I don't think Father liked him very much, but he always told me such fascinating stories of this country. It's too bad he isn't here at the moment. I would have liked to see him again."

Clara nodded, already growing bored of the conversation. She didn't want to talk about her father or the weather. She wanted to play. "Are you any good at climbing trees?"

Nicolas raised an eyebrow at that. "I climbed a few when I was younger, but Father did not approve of such recklessness."

Clara nodded and pointed at a large tree out on the edge of the courtyard. "I bet I can reach the top of that tree before you can."

Nicolas examined the tree, with its large and easily-climbable branches. The girl seemed so small and fragile, unlikely to be much competition in climbing a tree. "I doubt you could beat me to the top."

Before Nicolas could say anything else, Clara ran past him towards the door. She let out a squeal and said, "I'm going to beat you to the top of the tree."

After getting past the sudden exuberant exit of Clara, Nicolas chased after her with a big grin on his face. He raced through the castle after her. By the time he reached the tree, she was already halfway up. He leaped up into the tree, scrambling to catch up. He caught up with her soon enough and knew he could pass her, but the gleeful smile on Clara's face made him hesitate. As he neared the top of the tree, he pretended to lose his grip and dropped down a branch. Clara eagerly took advantage and scurried past, reaching to top of the tree first.

"I told you I'd win," Clara said, practically shaking with excitement.

"So you did." Nicolas smiled back up at her and the two of them descended from the tree. The two spent the afternoon playing in the yard until Nicolas's father finished his business and pulled him away. As the carriage rolled away, Nicolas waved goodbye to his new friend and future bride.

Reactions:
((At the assembly))

Annemarie Morgan: "I agree with Mrs. Rogers on demanding the Pope return the traitor, to both England and the faith of God, Peter Philips for him to be brought to justice in a. court of law. However, I disagree with the notion that we should weaken all of Christiandom. While the Catholics are our enemies, we are first, brothers in Christ. Should any Christian province fall to the heathens, as the Isle of Chios did not long ago, it is a sad day for all of Christianity. We should not be focused on weakening the forces of Christ. Instead, we should be bring the fight to the heathens. Liberating our Orthodox brothers in Christ and free our fellow Christians from the rule of the Mohammedans.

Annemarie sat back down. She was tired, very tired. She just wanted fight, which Alexander was doing right now. She envied him, he fought on the frontlines of the Crusade, he even wore her armour. I guess her fighting spirit was living on through him. Anyway, someone was giving a speech, but it just bored her. She bored of the petty politics of England, she might go to Hamburg, father lived there for while as a mercenary. But... But what was she going to do. She needed some sort of way to get money. She could become a merchant, follow the footsteps of Aleck, maybe work as a brewer. Yes, a brewer of alcohol, that... that was the perfect job for her. She had some experience with the business in Scotland, helped brew some of the finest whisky in all the world. Not only that, but she could drink as much beer as she could brew. She had her mind set, she was gonna brew the best beer in the world. But first, she had to deal with this god forsaken assembly.

Reactions:
((At the assembly in response to Annemarie.))

Anna Blois-Rogers: Dear Countess Morgan, I do believe you misunderstand me. I do not seek to weaken Christendom as a whole. I advise the Queen to weaken the Pope's hold on Christendom. For too long he have had too much spiritual and earthly power over the Lords of Europe. And weren't he supposed to be the protector of Christendom? Look what happened under his decadence the heathen Mohammedans conquered and enslaved many Christians. It was under his watch, his corruption and lust to increase his personal wealth that the Mohammedans made progress. I am merely calling out for the Pope to get his eartly possessions severly reduced, so that we may one day enlighten all of Christendom to the true faith.

I will hereby make my claims to the Pope:

1. Annex the provinces in Brabant and Gelre in order to make England and the Low Countries the Center of the Reformation, if possible release them with a Protestant noble at the top.
  2. Releaase the peoples of Urbino as an independent County, if possible also aim to release Avignon.
  3. The Pope shall be humiliated by publically admitting that his Crusade were unjust and unchristian, and to extradite the former Count of Amsterdam which name I won't mention to not spoil this pure halls
  4. If we have more leverage or the Pope refused to one of our terms, we should be paid in monetary reperations; both as reperations for the war and the crimes the Papacy have done to Christendom..
  5. If we can't have a seperate treaty with Brabant, the demands to them will be demanded to the Pope. The liberation of our Reformed brothers and sister should be prioritized over anything else, and be equal only to annexing or releasing Gelre.
If possible I would also like to open up a seperate peace treaty with the false crusader state of Brabant. I will only make one claim to this treaty:

1. I urge the Chancellor to aquire as many Reformed provinces from Brabant as possible, either as a part of English Netherlands or indepdent Protestant lordships.
  2. If we can't have a treaty with Brabant, I would like this to be added into our demands to the Pope. If the Pope do not agree on the terms to release Avignon or Italian lands we will demand Brabantian lands instead. Brabantian-Protestant lands are also in my opinion more important to liberate than to gain monetary rewards.
Thank you great leaders of England, that would be all. Please let me know if it is anything I should change in my suggestion to the Chancellor and Queen, I am more than happy for input from other members of the Assembly.

((In short, number 3 is to humiliate the Pope and to return Phillips to England. To annex and/or release the Brabantian protestant provinces, will be top priority. Releasing countries will be prefferable if they can become Protestant. For Italy, Urbino would be the minimum, and Avignon a possible term. But again the provinces in the Low Countries are prioritized over weakening the Papal State. )) ((Edit: Removed the annexation/liberation of Gelre as earlier post about the state of Gelre were proven to be false.)) ((Edit 2: Called for the annexation of Gelre once more to not contradict later IC's.))

Last edited:
Pope Benedickt after learning that someone tried to see him decided to visit the dungeons of Rome to see the man. He walked up to the cell, squinting his eyes to see better in the darkness.

B: “Who are you? What do you seek in the Holy City?”

P: ‘I am Peter Phillips, I come from England, and wanted to confess my sins of following the Protestant faith.’

B: “Peter Phillips you say?” Benedict stroked his beard “So you saw the errors of your ways… That’s… Good, very good.”

P: ‘I also wanted to help the Papal States liberate the English from the False Saint…’

B: “But why the sudden change? If I remember correctly you were one of the first ones to denouce me…”

P: ‘I thought that it was a movement to end corruption in the church, not a movement that wanted to split off from the church… The people who informed me of the Protestants have fooled me… I denounced you because I thought you were corrupt, but I was wrong… The Protestants are the corrupt priests of England who didn’t want to lose their power, and the False Saint who leads them is the most corrupt one of them all...’

B: “I couldn’t say it better myself… That damn woman thinks I’m corrupt?! I’m doing my best job to make it better, but my hands are tied… I can’t do much... “ Benedict chuckled in a sad way “I’m the Pope and yet I’m helpless as an innocent child… With all the cardinals looking. Why do you think I excommunicated the Duke of Savoy? The Duke of Burgundy? Just because I wanted to? No… It wasn’t like that at all.”

P: ‘And the good Catholics of England are being brainwashed to think you’re corrupt…’

B: “Precisely! And if they said that about some of the cardinals they wouldn’t be wrong… But me? These blind fools are corrupted by the demon sitting on the throne of my homeland… My beautiful homeland… I miss greatly the days where I was but a simple priest… Things were better those days. None of this ‘Corrupt Papist’ thing… And now here I am, waging a war against my home…”

P: ‘I have heard of the massacres in Amsterdam… Hundreds of innocent Catholics executed for their faith, and their desire of a free Holland… Such a waste...’

B: “Indeed… Rising up against the heretics only to be slaughtered… If I could I would gladly give them their homeland, but first we have to win this Unholy Crusade. Things are looking well for us at the moment, but sometimes I wonder: Will we really win? Is God really on our side? We stand no chance of reaching the actual target of the crusade…”

P: ‘God is on our side, but the Devil is leading their entire nation, and his servants lead their armies… We need to outsmart them… If only we could get the good Catholics of Ireland, Scotland, Holland and France to rise up in unity… If only…’

B: “Truer words have never been said… I will tell the guards to let you free, you may reside in one of the quarters, but please, do not leave Rome. I cannot help but feel a bit uncertain about your motives.”

P: ‘Yes, your Holiness. I shall not leave Rome…’

((Joint IC between @05060403 and myself.)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Mathias was first time in Assembly meeting. People were talking about what to demand from the Pope, as the Crusade was won. After long thinking he came up with a good idea.

"May I propose a peace offer?

Mathias idea for Peace offer to the Pope Benedickt
1. Romagna and Urbino is given to Austria's control
2. Peter Philips is returned to England
3. Pope shall pay 124 coins to us

I hope you think about my idea. We cannot liberate any Protestant countries and if we take land directly to us, we might get in another war. And that is not what we want."

Last edited:
Reactions:
Elizabeth hadn't considered the proposal from Mattias Northwell. His idea of increasing Austria's territory was intriguing but also risky as it could lead to a potentially large coalition. Mathias as a young, inexperienced man so she did not blame him for not considering the effects of his proposal. Maybe Elizabeth's greed got the best of her in that moment. Either way, she gave orders to one of her servants to go to the headquarters of the Royal Diplomatic Corps to out what the impact of such a peace treaty would be.

Moskva, Muscovy

Alexander von Vries walked onto his balcony. From the reports he had gotten, the Crusade had failed, and England had tempered through it all. Meanwhile, Muscovy had done nothing, his suggestions to strike in Poland and Lithuania had fallen on deaf ears. It seemed that the interests of the Russians did not orient themselves to Central Europe for the moment. They had their eyes on the North and the South instead, the Wasteland of Karelia and the Steppes that had for so long hosted the Horse Lords. The Life in Muscovy had not appealed to him. Too many hollow men, making empty promises that seemed to get drowned in vodka every few nights. It was snowing. The streets of Moskva were almost empty this night. The snow seemed to cover the city in a white blanket. It had been a few years since the von Vries family had arrived here, and he was now 18 years old. Maybe it was time to return to England, to try to fix the country from within instead of trying to stimulate change using external shifts. The young German man looked across the city, letting the snow fall on his face and clothes. Maybe a bit of hunting would allow him to make his mind. Rumours in the noble circles of the Boyars announced the presence of bears within the nearby forests, and many were eager for autumn to arrive to hold a grand hunt. But he wanted a real challenge. Bears who had not fed enough would not be able to enjoy their long sleep, and those were the most dangerous of them all. He smirked, maybe hunting would be a good idea after all. He started planning his next day on the balcony, enjoying the cold winter air.

The next day, Alexander set out at dawn with a small contingent. The dense forest was quiet, as if nature itself had fallen asleep. They quickly spotted large marks on the fresh snow, and the print was that of a bear. Luck seemed to be on their side. They followed the tracks cautiously, prepared for an attack by the bear they were following. The hunting dogs reacted to a presence as they were approaching a thick bush. In practiced motion, the hunting party dismounted held their spears at the ready, leaving the horses tethered to a nearby tree. The bush ended up containing a rabbit, but the party nonetheless continued on foot, it was safer that way. A couple of guards were left behind to watch the horses. After a few minutes of following the tracks, they arrived to a promising caverns. The dogs also sensed something inside. This was the place. The dogs were unleashed in the cavern. A rumbling could be heard, the snapping of the dogs. The bear appeared, rushing out of the cave, the dogs snapping at him, surrounding him. The beast had been flushed out. The small hunting party formed a loose circle, spears pointed inwards towards the bear. A cornered animal is always the most dangerous. The dogs jumped at the bear, biting, clawing, but the damage was superficial. Alexander motioned for the team to close in. They tightened the circle, the bear was restless. The beast kept looking around it, never letting its back towards one of the hunters for long. Alexander nodded to his companion at the opposite end of the circle. He made a jab at the back of the bear just as he entered his dead angle. Alexander saw the bear hear and feel the change in motion, and as the spear pierced his backside, the bear started turning around. At this time, Alexander made his own jab, piercing the beast's upper body. Too shallow.

The bear went on his back legs, lifting himself to his full height. The other hunters made jabs at him, and the bear swatted at them. A dog tried to jump for the bear's neck, but was smashed aside by the beast's paw. Alexander found himself mesmerised by the bear's motion. Such natural brutality, making use of his senses to try and fight a hopeless fight. Alexander started analysing the beast's movements, their purpose, their weaknesses. The fight raged on, the hunters couldn't pierce far enough into the bear's body to hamper it, and the bear hadn't managed to land a hit on the hunters. However, this could not go on, the dogs, unlike the hunters, were getting swatted aside, and they knew better than to try their luck again. The bear was gaining the upper hand. After a few more jabs from the hunters' part, the mighty beast tried to break free from its encirclement, right at Alexander. He planted his spear firmly into the earth as the bear rushed into him, and felt the beast's great weight strain the spear as it pierced into it. Alexander felt the spear give way with a snap, and he jumped to the side, wary of any attack from the bear. The rush had however opened up the beast's flanks, and the other hunters had taken the opportunity to ram their spear into the mighty animal's sides. The bear started running, free from the hunter's encirclement, but a large trail of blood followed it. The party moved on, leaving two of its numbers to care for the dogs. They quickly caught up with the bear, it lay in a pool of crimson snow, holding its last breaths. Another hunter handed his spear to him, and Alexander plunged it into the animal's throat. The beast shuddered, and lay still. The hunt was successful.

After a day of celebrations in the company of jealous boyars and drunk courtiers, Alexander retreated to his study. In there were his collection of weapons, including duelling swords, broadswords, daggers, spears and pikes, recurve bows, crossbows, and staffs. He remembered his fight with the bear, how it moved, how it fought. He had analysed every detail he could, and in the darkening night, he started emulating the movements, experimenting a fighting style based off what he had learned both during his education and research, and from his fight with the bear. A fighting style that befitted his stature and strength, but also that avoided the weaknesses it possessed...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Annemarie Morgan: "Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but I heard what I heard. You said "if we break up the Papist conclave we will in the long run weaken not only their power on the Italian peninsula but Christendom as a whole." From my understanding, you are saying if we break up the Papist conclave, all of Christendom will be weakened, and, in my opinion, we should NOT weaken our brothers in Christ. We may differentiate upon certain beliefs, we should try, just try to keep the Christians safe from the hands of the heathens. Now, on the matter of the treaty with the Papacy, as with Mrs. Northwell, I have my own ideas about the treaty with the Pope

Annemarie's Treaty

1. Urbino and Anacona given to the Austria OR Siena is given to England
The reasoning for this is to give England a power base in the Meditearean and to try and limit Aragonese influence in Italy.

2. Peter Philips is returned to England to face trial in a court of law.

Peter Phillips, traitor to both the faith of God and the Crown, is to be tried in an English court of law, as prescribed in Right to Trial Act.

3. The province of Avignion, once part of the French Kingdom, shall ethier be returned to France OR be released as a independent nation.

The Queen's servant returned from the office of the Diplomatic Corps after Countess Annemarie Morgan had proposed her own treaty which was similar in some ways to what Mathias Northwell had proposed. Was she copying from him?
Elizabeth disappeared for about ten minutes. She went into one of the smaller rooms in the assembly for some privacy in order to receive her servant's briefing on Northwell's plan.

Servant: "Your Majesty, I have spoken with high officials of the diplomatic services. They advise caution."

Elizabeth: "Caution? Could you be more precise? I haven't gotten all day."

Servant: "Excumse me, Your Majesty. The diplomats have concerns that annexing Papal lands might notably make you look bad but also lead to a punitive war."

Elizabeth: "My armies have wrecked the Catholics. I do not fear them. I have made up my mind. Thank you Frederick. Go and schedule an appoint with the Chancellor for tomorrow."

Servant: "I will do so at once, Your Majesty."

Elizabeth returned to the assembly. It had gotten late and the debate was not as intense as she had hoped but she had received valuable input from what was said, especially the young Mathias Northwell had impressed her. It was time to dismiss the assembly for today.

Elizabeth: "I thank those of you who offered me their advice. The realm finds itself in a tricky situation and I feel that the upcoming peace treaty will have a large impact on the country and the future of the Church of England. Tomorrow morning I'll be meeting Chancellor Clifford to finalise my demands. May God give me wisdom to make the right decision."

The Queen left the Royal Assembly and retreated to Westminster Palace. Tomorrow was an important day. Before she called it a day she wrote a letter to Mathias Northwell.

((To Mathias Northwell))
Dear Mr. Northwell,
I thank you for your proposed ideas on the peace treaty. They seem well-thought out. Have you considered a career for the Crown? I could always find a suitable position for someone who is young and capable. If you are interested then I will receive you in Westminster Palace.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Queen of France, Queen of Scotland, Queen of Norway, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine

Last edited:
((During the assembly.))

Anna were dissapointed that it did not seem like it were any popular support for her proposal to increase their powerbase, and the reformed church, in the Dutch-Flemish region. Still it seemed that it were support for weakening the Papal State itself. The other proposals were more radical than her's, instead of simply releasing them they would be annexed by lands under the Queen. And Anna liked that, the low countries would be liberated another day for now they would threaten the Papacy directly.

"
Dear Countess Morgan, you and Northwell's proposals intrigue me. I however believe that yours serve our Queen and her Realm the best. I will therefore henceforth pull away my advice to the Queen, making the Low Countries a reformed Center, and support your claim instead. It would severly weaken the Papists and their hold on Christendom and alltough strengthen France and Austria. I will advice the Queen to follow Countess Morgan's proposal. Alltough I hope the Queen will liberate Gelre from the Papists".

((IC with @delpiero1234 - thanks for the time))

Chancellor Robert Clifford had been asked to meet the Queen in Westminster Palace to discuss the Peace Deal to be presented to the Pope to end this “Crusade”. He had followed the discussions in the Royal Assembly concerning this issue. It seemed that just a few people were really interested in this Peace Deal, which was kind of disappointing to Robert. But, those who were involved did come up with some interesting ideas. Those ideas could be a good basis to build this deal on, at least Robert thought so in first instance...

Chancellor: “Your Majesty, I have come here to discuss the Peace Deal with the tratious Pope, as you requested.”

Queen: “Let’s get right to it. We need to put an end to this war, Chancellor.”

Chancellor: “I followed the discussions in the Royal Assembly, and to me it seemed like some people did have some interesting ideas to pursue in this peace deal. I am not sure how you stand on most of them, but I will provide you with my opinion on them.”

Chancellor: “Many would like to see Peter Philips be brought to justice. This traitor is now living apparently living in the vicinity of the Pope and claims his conversion to our True Faith was false and he is still supporting the Pope. I feel this can be a good option to satisfy the wishes of the Assembly. Though I must point out, that this might prohibit us from taking another piece of land, or another few ducats from the Pope.”

Chancellor: “Countess Rogers has taken it upon herself to set out a clear overview of what she thinks should be claimed. Strengthening our hold on the Low Countries is in my eyes a good strategy. However, her claim to annex Gelre is a ludicrous one, they were not even in the Crusade against us. I understand that they are a Catholic nation, but this war does not give us the legitimacy to claim that country. We would be able to expand our territory into Brabant, as they are part of the Crusade and we do occupy several provinces.”

Chancellor: “I feel that it is a bad move to have the Pope give away territory or make parts of his lands independent of his rule. He is currently one of the last rules in and around the Italian peninsula who is not a puppet of the Aragonese aggression. Splitting up his lands will either cause them to fall in the hands of Aragon or, maybe worse, have an excellent entry point for the heathens to enter South/West Europe.”

Chancellor: “Giving away part of the Popes land to Austria - as Mathias Northwell suggested - is not a very bad idea, but might cause disruption in the area and might cause a larger coalition to form against us.”

Chancellor: “I think it will be no problem to demand monetary reparations from the Pope. Both directly in ducats and demanding a share of his monthly income. This way we can make up for some of the losses we have had during this war and make sure we have a good buffer for future issues.”

Chancellor: “Our demands to Brabant will have to be made directly to the Pope - unlike Countess Rogers suggested to make a separate deal with them - as they are tied in with the Pope in this Crusade.”

Queen: “Thank you for the detailed report. I think Mathias Northwell’s proposal to make the Pope cede Urbino and Romagna is bold but the right call. I do not fear negative repercussions from taking the land.”

Chancellor: “It is probably one of the less riskier approaches which has been proposed in the Assembly. A larger coalition could form, but it seems that if countries might join, only a few smaller ones would be joining.”

Queen: “Robert, you are paid to be straightforward. ‘Probably’ and ‘maybe’ are not a basis to negotiate a peace treaty!”

Chancellor: “My apologies, Your Majesty. I understand your issue with my formulation. I might be slightly on the over-cautious side of things. I do my best to have my diplomats gather as much information as they can, but the mind of a foreign ruler is not always that easy to get information from.”

Queen: “Very well. My demands are that the Pope cedes land in Italy to my subjects of Austria. Peter Philips is to be returned to England where he shall be tried and hung for treason. Monetary reparations are not a priority, however humiliating the Pope is. I want Benedict to write and sign a public letter in which he says that the crusade was wrong.”

Chancellor: “That is an excellent idea, Your Majesty. That way we please the Assembly, the public will have an interesting spectacle to watch when Philips gets hung - and of course justice will be served. The Pope will by now probably understand the mistake he made going against us.”

Queen: “I am glad that you think my plan is doable. Leave for Avignon at once to deliver my terms and come back with a signed peace treaty to put this war behind us.”

((In short the Peace Deal:
  • Romagna and Urbino are ceded by The Papal State to Austria;
  • Peter Philips will be returned to England to stand trial;
  • The Pope will write and sign a public declaration in which he states the Crusade was unjust (in-game this will be represented by decreased prestige for the Pope, humiliation is not an in-game option).
The Chancellor will travel to Avignon to deliver these terms to the Pope.

@05060403: do you have time to make a joint-IC soon?))

Reactions:
((January 1499 in local inn. Mathias is 18 years old))

"Who that beauty is?" John asked, when a girl walked in.
"She? Oh, she is Jane. Daughter of local merchant."
"She is most beautiful..."
"Why won't you go and charm her?" Mathias' friend pushed him a bit.

Jane saw them. And smiled.

"Now go! She clearly smiled to you!"
"Okey okey!"

Mathias walked to the girl and ordered some drinks for her and himself. They talked for a long time. Both were clearly fallen in love with each other.

But in February Jane had something bad to tell...

"Mathias..."
"What is it honey?"
"I... I'm... I'm pregnant..." Jane touched her belly.
"You sure?"
"I'm sure..." Both were quiet. Things was not meant to go like this.

Their relationship ended almost as quickly as it started. They didn't see each other in months. In 29. November the child was born. And the child was girl. Beautiful girl, who born at the wrong time... Too early for Mathias' and Jane's relationship.

"Mathias. The child will be yours. My dad will move from London, and I will go with him."
"Before you go, what name do you want to give her?"
"Anne."
"Anne she shall be then..."

Reactions:
((TheM: Weren’t Gelre a part of the Papal State? That was my understanding and why it should be released as a Protestant state or annexed by England. If they were not, then yes it was a crazy claim :p))