• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most honourable ser Huntingdon,

Is there any chance that I can help pay for Crown Prince Matthew his funeral?

I am also asking for funds for an ambitious project. Everytime the Zuiderzee floods, a lake in the middle of Holland floods too, which is a significant danger to all of Holland. But the people of Holland have found a way to pump all water out of the lake and turn it into very fertile farmland. It's called 'polderen'. This would both significantly decrease the chance of a serious flood that kills thousands and brings even more damage, and would also increase the wealth of the province and increase food in Engand. Sadly, this is a very ambitious project that will have a very high cost, and I will not be able to afford it. So I wanted to ask if you could fund the project, as it will most definitely pay off in the long run.
- Peter Phillips, Stadthouder van Holland.

About the 'de Valois', wouldn't it be better if are hanged for treason against England? It would solidify your rule over France as there are no people falsely claiming themselves to be king or queen of France, as you and your descendants are the only one with a legitimate rulers of the land. I have also send a letter to count Huntingdon about me helping pay for the funeral.
Holland is doing just fine, although Amsterdam has suffered due to being very close to Utrecht, and after having defeated them I have made the decision to move to Den Haag, as it's farther from the border and has already been a political center in Holland. I have also been surprised by the wealth that the people have here, the grain trade has surely made the region prosperous. They have some of the greatest cheese and milk in all of Europe, shame there isn't enough to mass export. Not all is great though, the land is under constant threat of the water, but we do have a way to turn entire lakes into farmlands, we only need the funds to realise this, which I have asked count Huntingdon to provide. I hope that the coming weeks will not bring any more tragedies for England and your family, and may God bless you.

-Peter Phillips, Stadthouder van Holland

Last edited:
((Letter to the Queen))
I will ensure all you have asked of me is carried out.

-Count Alexander

((Letter to the Chancellor))

Please ensure invites are sent to our nation's allies and friends from abroad for the funeral of Prince Matthew at Canterbury

-MoC Chaffinch

((Letter to Count Phillips))

See, I would suggest the funds you offer for the funeral be used on this project of yours. Which in your letter you did not actually state what you were constructing. If you think the crown would be interested please send me further information on how the project is currently going and how long and for how much will it take to build it.

-MoC Chaffinch

((To Count Phillips))
It is good to hear that the situation in the Low Countries is under control. I take it that you will move back to Amsterdam, the heart of the province, now that the war is over? It is of uttermost importance that you, as the local count, oversee the trade center personally. Think about the corruption that might spawn in the city if we do not regulate the activities of the burghers. The thought of it frightens me!

- Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Queen of France, Queen of Scotland, Queen of Norway, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine, Saint of the Holy Church

((Invitations have been send to all allies and friends to attend the funeral of Prince Matthew.))
I have made sure all our allies and friends will receive an invitation to attend the funeral of Prince Matthew in Canterbury.

Robert Clifford, Count of Cumbria, Lord of Mann and Chancellor of the English Realm

Reactions:
((Name: Aximander Septimus Symeon Macedonius (Simon of Macedonia)
Date of Birth: March 26, 1459
Religion: Orthodox, but has studied Catholicism in his travels and would be described as a sympathizer
Class: Disenfranchised Byzantine Noble (with no claimed territory) - but is willing to do as his Queen commands him.
Bio: Born in Constantinople five years after the city falling into Turkish hands, Aximander spent his first few years on the coast of Macedonia. At the age of four, the Turks came to claim his families ancestral land for the Ottoman Empire. He knows not what happened, but this was the last time he saw his father.
He then spent another five years in Epirus where his mother (who was of English and Italian descent) had family on both sides of the Ionian Sea (In Naples and Epirus), after which his mother passed away.
At the age of 10 Aximander was once again forced out of his family home by the Turks, and instead of moving to Athens as his Aunt suggested, he took the remaining fortune of his family and his two closest advisers (who were also family friends and Aximanders guardians/tutors.)
For the next 19 years, Aximander and his wardens traveled across the breadth of the Mediterranean, from Cyprus, Rhodes and Crete to Venice, Florence and Pisa to Sicily, Genoa, France and Iberia.
Over these years, he devoted himself to leaning as much as he could. Where ever he stayed he soaked up any knowledge he could find, and grew to be fond of both Administration and matters of military organisation and command.
His tutors made sure to teach him humility and diligence but to also be decisive. Included was mandatory military lessons, which he expanded upon with knowledge from the Italians and Castilians.
It was at this time, at the age of 29, he arrived in England finally seeking a refuge and a new home after nearly two decades of never settling down, and one of the first thigs he did was to change his name to Simon so it would be easier on others to speak with him.
(Due to his love of learning, Aximander has solid Administration capacity, and great theoretical military experience but very little practical military experience, unfortunately Aximander is the sort of man that knows what he wants to say, but has difficulties expressing his thoughts the way he wants to, and this lack of glibness means many of noble birth look down on him.)
(if he were a ruler his stats would be 4/2/5) ))

Reactions:
The Count of Bergen was finally home, able to see his children whom he had not seen in years as his duties had called for him in Africa. Charlotte, the eldest, and Alexander, her twin, had grown into healthy young children. While Charlotte was clearly taking after Alyssa's slender figure, she also held a refined air that seemed to stem from confidence in her own self rather than haughty arrogance, which she probably inherited from the Count's deceased mother. Alexander had clearly taken after his deceased uncle, in fact, he was almost identical to him in Wilhelm's eyes. While they were still barely children, they would hold great responsibilities in the future, and it was his duty to make sure that they be prepared to face the responsibilities.

The Count was sure that Alexander would grow strong from the education he would receive. The martial education would make sure that Alexander would know how to wield the bow, the spear, sword, and lance. He would know riding, military tactics and strategy, all with the modern aspect that the mortars have brought with them, and what the changes they could bring. Charlotte would learn how to play the court and influence decisions despite the new law restricting women. And her knowledge would place her leagues ahead of any other noble woman. She would become strong, know the intrigues of court, be able to use diplomatic skills, and manage funds. She would be a wave of fresh ideas in the court.

The Count felt a sense of fulfilment at the thought of his children's futures, but the people to teach them had first of all to be located and hired. While the linguists wouldn't be hard to find, military instructors and diplomats would be difficult to hire, as their services were often in demand. He would find a way to make sure his progeny would get their education, but while he had the chance, he should first and foremost enjoy the company of his children...

((Welcome to the new members btw. Hope you guys will have a lot of fun :) ))

My Queen
You have my condolences. It is terrible that your son is dead. He would been good King... You can ask me if you need any support or help, because I understand how sad it is to lose son. We will have one day of mourning in the colonies, and if you want we could build a monument for Prince Matthew.
That reminds me of my boy. He is almost 12 years old, and you may not know, but he lives in England, far away from me. And I haven't seen him in years. So I hope you understand that I ask you for a little break from the colonies. To see my son, and his mother. We haven't met in many years. I know a good man, who could do my work for a little while. Hopefully your Greatness understands my request.

Gratefully
John Northwell

Reactions:

See, I would suggest the funds you offer for the funeral be used on this project of yours. Which in your letter you did not actually state what you were constructing. If you think the crown would be interested please send me further information on how the project is currently going and how long and for how much will it take to build it.

-MoC Chaffinch
The funeral is more important to England, but the project is something we cannot start without being sure it will be finished in time. The plan is to reclaim the 'Beemstermeer'.How we were planning to do it, we will have windmills slowly pushing the water up until we reach a canal or river. We have estimated that it will cost about 75 duckats and that building it will take 5 years, but the fertile farming lands and lowered flood destruction costs will be worth it in the long term, because if a flood gets out of hand, one of the most populated and richest areas of England could be wiped off the map completely, and the damages will be well over the price of the polder.

- Peter Phillips, Stadthouder van Amsterdam

Your Majesty, I will move to Amsterdam as soon as the political institutions have been moved there, as I want a good eye on both the politicians and the traders. The political institutions are in Den Haag now, were they have been for decades now.

- Peter Phillips, Stadthouder van Amsterdam

Last edited:
((Letter to CoF Briggs))
My Duke, may I request my son, Frederick be trained in the art of warfare in a military academy in the hope he may become a captain of the army at the age of 21.
-Count Alexander of Ayrshire, MoC

Elizabeth had written a letter in reply to John Northwell which was shipped to Amapa with the next supply ship that the left the port of Dover with destination Anglica. He had offered her to build a monument for Crown Prince Matthew but she wondered why he hadn't done so already...

((to John Northwell))
Thank you for offering me your condolences. You should see to it at once that the statue in honor of my son Matthew will be built without delay. Once the statue is built, I will allow you to leave Anglica for a period of six months. Take into account that the voyage across the Ocean takes approximately two and a half months, according to my advisors. Should the colony in Amapa run into troubles because of your absence then you have to take full responsibility.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Queen of France, Queen of Scotland, Queen of Norway, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine, Saint of the Holy Church

This project of yours obviously requires some discussion I suggest you meet me at my offices to negotiaite on a deal.

-MoC Chaffinch

((Letter to CoF Briggs))
My Duke, may I request my son, Frederick be trained in the art of warfare in a military academy in the hope he may become a captain of the army at the age of 21.
-Count Alexander of Ayrshire, MoC

I see no problem with this. Some military training is good for any nobleman. I bid him good luck in the academy and let him know that he shall find a suitable place in the army once he is of age and properly trained.

- Walter William Briggs, Duke of Mercia, Earl of Marches, & Commander of the Forces

Your Majesty,
I, Wilhelm von Vries, Count of Bergen, has faithfully served you for these past years. During this time, I have served in your royal regiments and led them in the subjugation of African natives and Frenchmen. Along with that, I have safeguarded your interests in Africa against the rebellious natives. For these achievements, I would demand to be appointed a general of the English forces.

For the continued glory of the kingdom,
Count Wilhelm von Vries

Vincent Greyman delivered a letter from Captain von Vries to the Queen-Saint. The captain wanted to be appointed as a general of the English Royal Army. Elizabeth thought it would be best to consult with her friend and ally Walter William Briggs before replying to Wilhem von Vries's letter.

((To CoF Briggs))
Duke Walter Briggs,
I write you today because I would like your opinion on Count Wilhem von Vries who has recently asked to be appointed as general. You have fought along-side him in West Africa, I believe and moreover you are the Commander of the Forces. Therefore, I let you decide if this man is worthy of serving as a general under your leadership in the English Royal Army.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Queen of France, Queen of Scotland, Queen of Norway, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine, Saint of the Holy Church

((Letter to Queen Talbot))

Your Excellency, I agree. I would like to add the writing on the plaquet of the statue "Prince Matthew liberator of Norway, Guardian of Scandinavia". I would also be honored if you or one of your close kin unveiled the statue.

-Anna Rogers.

Vincent Greyman delivered a letter from Captain von Vries to the Queen-Saint. The captain wanted to be appointed as a general of the English Royal Army. Elizabeth thought it would be best to consult with her friend and ally Walter William Briggs before replying to Wilhem von Vries's letter.

((To CoF Briggs))
Duke Walter Briggs,
I write you today because I would like your opinion on Count Wilhem von Vries who has recently asked to be appointed as general. You have fought along-side him in West Africa, I believe and moreover you are the Commander of the Forces. Therefore, I let you decide if this man is worthy of serving as a general under your leadership in the English Royal Army.

Count von Vries surely has the experience for such a position, for he has served as a captain in the army for quite some time. His handling of Africa has been admirable, for it is quite the inhospitable location and can easily break men. Out of all the men who have served under me, he is surely the most qualified to serve as general. His temper sometimes gets the better of him, but anger can drive a general to great heights during conflict. If you believe we have need of another general, he has my full support to be raised in rank.

- Walter William Briggs, Duke of Mercia, Earl of Marches, & Commander of the Forces

((To Countess Rogers))
Prince Anton Talbot, my oldest living son, will prepare to travel to Oslo to unveil the statue in my name after the funeral of the Crown Prince. The writing you chose seems fitting for a man who has accomplished as much as he did.

((To Count von Vries))
I have come to the conclusion that you are fit to be appointed as general of the English Royal Army. Your accomplishments in West Africa as captain are remarkable and you have proven yourself in battle on more than once occasion. With your new position, you will have an even greater amount of responsibility and be asked to lead with example.
May you serve the realm and the army loyally.

((Please give me a stat focus. Choose either Shock / Fire / Manoeuvre / Siege))