• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, color me intrigued.
What's up with the Boers, though?
(I am DoD's resident Boer guy. Must see what Boers are up to in every AAR)

The Boers were busy invading each other and conquering the natives, and then after taking a bit of Burgundy's Cape Colony the rest was released when Burgundy was dismantled post-Great War

The Boers were busy invading each other and conquering the natives, and then after taking a bit of Burgundy's Cape Colony the rest was released when Burgundy was dismantled post-Great War
Bless you, Leeuwin
:weeps tear fro meye:
You've done your father proud.

So is this still alive?

Hey! So yes, It is alive. I apologize for not updating recently, I just have been busy with the whole 'Music Major' thing.

I will definitely post something soon, as I totally stopped updating just when something major was happening soooooooo yeah

Once again sorry, I'll most likely have another update up soon.

Hey! So yes, It is alive. I apologize for not updating recently, I just have been busy with the whole 'Music Major' thing.

I will definitely post something soon, as I totally stopped updating just when something major was happening soooooooo yeah

Once again sorry, I'll most likely have another update up soon.

Take your time :). I for myself will be more than happy if I am a BSc. at the end of this year's September.

Also, interesting to have someone majoring in music here, my former high school classmate will probably end like that :D.

The Orthodoxy of Battle...
5九月2大正
Presidential Suite, on a train somewhere in Miyagi Prefecture

"The press is calling you 'unorthodox', what do you plan to do about that?" An aide probes, as the train bumps and buckles along the track. Prime Minister Soroku Okū sat patiently, looking out the window slightly as his aides bustled around his cabin. The medals he had adorned on his chest bounced slightly with the movement of the carriage. Being the first Haafu Prime Minister in the history of Japan's short Democracy, he expected much of his terms of office to be 'Unorthodox' if not outright different.

cd236a38-1e85-4f74-9af1-327d5b6743d5_zpsshudujeq.png

"Ignore them, I'm the Prime Minister of the world's greatest Empire, not some errant politician concerned about scandals and minor slights like that." He responds, rather pensively, his eyes staying on the countryside. It was the first stop on the newly elected Minister's Home Island tour. The trip was his idea, having said he wanted to 'see the people who voted him in with his own eyes, and thank them'.
However he could hear his subconsciousness nagging him even now. Several months into the tour, having already gone through most of Southern Honshū and now, approaching the North he could tell his supporters would be thinned out. The North of the Home Islands were holdouts of strong Communist and Liberal party support. With most of the vote having gone to his rival parties. The jubilant crowds of surging commoners were likely a thing of the past.

But even with his aides and advisers chirping in the background about supporter turnout, or domestic issues. The former General, could tell the world would undergo immense change in the terms he reigns. He could feel it in his bones, that something would happen. Whether it was the balance of power shifting in China, or another problem with the Europeans...He couldn't say.

Okū turned to one of his advisers, the Minister of Defense Professor Kazuhiro Inafune . The man who had rocked the Conservative party with scandal in the last electoral cycle with calls to annex the entire Eastern Seaboard of China. He now was one of the new Prime Minister's closest allies in the party.

"Inafune-san..." Okū began in a stern voice, freezing the cabin before switching to a calmer tone...

"Inafune-san, you no doubt are not content with this trip. Least of all considering your position in the Traditionalist faction. A Prime Minister and Minister of Defense travelling the Home Islands? Unheard of no?"

The Minister seemed emboldened by the Prime Minister's relaxed tone, he responds indignantly, "What is unheard of is doing such a tour while concerns in China are still unresolved. The Daxi have grown too large and too far from our reach. While even the impotent Tungning are growing bold in their raids on coastal cities in Shinchiku prefecture. I advise we deal with this before the Chinese slip from our grasp completely." Infaune-san's hand closes down onto his arm rest, as if to end his tirade itself. Okū-san smiles, such is the typical response of two giants of their party.

The Prime Minister and Minister of Defense sat in silence for what seemed like hours. Staring at each other, thinking, as the countryside passed by in the glow of the afternoon of Summer's end.

"What if..." Infaune-san began, with strang humility in his voice, "We brought the Daxi into our fold. Via an alliance, and in the same motion, seized the Fujian province from the Tungning?"

"Oh?" The Prime minister questioned,

Inafune-san continues, "Well Okū-san, with your order we could pacify our Western flank while acquiring an ally on the Southern Coast. Since the Daxi already have port-acess. We could cut down on the Hainan guards and redeploy them to more problematic fronts."

"Working with the Chinese? How strange of you Inafune-san? Considering you were against the Legation Cities being given statehood--"

"I mean no disrespect in interrupting, Okū-sama, but this is a strategic avenue. Nothing more. Do you not agree with it?"

Okū-san's lips curl into a smirk, then spread wide as he laughs. "I think for one of the first times I agree with you Infaune-san...When we pull into Sendai, I will make the order. With you cosigning it of course.."

"Of course Okū-san, I would be honoured..."

630b7591-53ee-4af7-ab7e-78a4932a3517_zpsmuqa8qbn.png

A map of China before the Fujian Acquisition and what would lead into the Tingzhou Blunder

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the call-to-action given, September 7th 1912 began the terms of office to a man who would lead Japan through some of the most turbulent years Japan would know in his lifetime. Prime Minister Soroku Okū, having given the orders to invade the Chinese warlords once again, would inadvertently drag his Empire into what is called in Hindsight as the Tingzhou Blunder.
Having put the weight of the Japanese Empire behind the Daxi, the Japanese were dragged into a war with not only the Tungning, but also the Taiping.

The Taiping, despite having been reduced to a minor power who's land was separated by vast swaths of rival land. Nonetheless represented a Civilized Threat on the continent for the Japanese. One that could employ hundreds of thousands of soldiers, no matter how unorganized, against the Empire.

f315c206-0511-469b-bdc3-4fc66eced042_zps6c27io7w.png

A map of Taiping occupations of Daxi territory. Despite Japanese Tactical victory, the Taiping still managed to capture a lot of territory before being beat back.

Almost immediately swarms of Taiping Soldiers swarmed across the borders into Japanese and Daxi lands. The Qingdao peninsula was nearly overrun, while Macao and Hong Kong faced some of the fiercest attacks from the Militant hordes of the Emperor of Taipinguo. Despite the numerical superiority of the Chinese, the Daxi and Japanese managed to hold back nearly all the Taiping armies. The head of the South Legation Concession Defense League Jiro Kanin even reported a, '97 percentile effectiveness against the Chinese hordes. With the only slight margin of error in Imperial troops being supply lines being cut by surprise ambushes'.

538b7c7b-c569-4e81-8adc-34b238fe57e3_zps3rpr5owd.png

Statistics from the 1st (of 6) Battle(s) of Macao

fdb2bbac-9bc2-4338-a58a-c2135af79e24_zpstpyp9roq.png

Many Japanese admirals were surprised that the Taiping even had a Navy during the early days of the war

942cc5d7-cbb2-4ecf-a85e-56e09d81e5b3_zpsv7gxbuzj.png

However even with the surprise attacks by the enemy fleets, all naval skirmishes ended in similar ways. With Japanese victory.
Reports from various reporters present on the ground spoke of the general casual attitude of the Japanese soldiers. With thousands of enemy soldiers lying dead for every hundred injuries and dozen casualties against the Empire. But the attitude of many on the Japanese front also spoke to a tired attitude to war. While it became a nearly annual tradition of bullying the Chinese and taking territory for the Empire. An ill opinion of the frequent skirmishes and war began to set in on many in the Officer corps and front line troops.
War-Weariness leads to ill activity as well. Shinichi Mikami of the Edo Report, having followed the 41st Calvary division, reports many soldiers taking trophies from the corpses of dead enemy soldiers. Whether it's the effigies of the Taiping Emperor many are required to keep on them. Or even enemy officer's zhibeidao swords to take home to decorate their wall. A record number of soldiers were court-marshaled for the looting of enemy corpses. As the Officer corps, (under strict order from the Prime Minister to show respect for the Chinese to strengthen relations with the Daxi (and quell unrest brewing in many Legation Provinces)), began to clamp down on such looting. So much so that by the end of the war, over 3,000 soldiers were decommissioned and sent back to the Home Islands for their dishonorable discharges.

Such embarrassments only soured public relations with the army and politics in the eyes of the general population. So much so that even the Burgundian-Italian conference of 1913's success was viewed by many as the fault of the ruling Conservative party and their allies in the Army. The success of two enemy nations to strengthen bonds was viewed as a huge mistake in governmental policies, despite the inevitability of such a union between the two nations.

6c35fbb8-9276-447f-938c-feb10825a92d_zps7snekoeb.png
While Burgundian attempts to probe for allies in Arcadia proved fruitless, in the latter half of 1913 they met, and succeeded in carving out an alliance with the nation of Italy. A second bloc of Great Powers had formed where once it was just Russia, and Japan.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
25六月3大正
Somewhere on the front lines in Fujian prefecture, Legation Provinces​

The smell of ash wafting down from the nearby villages burns the nostrils of General Jiro Kanin. A man of tall stature, normally towering over his men, seems almost tiny while he is slumped over his desk. The sound of gunfire has died down, and all the remains is the burnt remains of enemy soldiers and the villages they've raided.

Kanin-san scrunches his face, recoiling at the thought that the enemy general, Wang Jipang, continued the suicide attacks that would define his career. The Japanese general continued to write his reports, quill to ink-well to paper. He uses the old-style of writing when he is trying to get his mind off of something, as the concentration distracts him from the turmoil he faces. He has just witnessed his men face off against enemy fanatics armed with dynamite with short fuses and firebombs. Burning and murdering their way through the village who's name he did not bother to name. It existed for such a short period of time for him. In sight just five short hours ago, now it lays in ruin with few survivors.

Furiously writing his report, he almost doesn't notice the frantic messenger run into his tent.

"General!"

He keeps writing...

"General!"

Pen onto ink, writing casualties...

"My General! The enemy, they're in chaos!" The messenger practically yells his report, surprising General Kanin. Who jolts into a standing position, scaring the messenger, who falls to his knees and prostrates himself to the giant of a man towering over him.

"Get up." The General orders in a stern voice. The messenger rises, his neck craning back to look at General Kanin. He opens the message relay he was given and reads in a nervous voice. Still scared by the general his voice breaks occasionally reading the report.

"G-General Horau of the North Legation Guard reports a massive uprising of Chinese peasants on the Qingdao peninsula. With corresponding reports in Tingzhou and their concessions North of Hainan from Commander Tsurokawa and General Chiyoda respectively. They are c-calling themselves the 'Sons of New China'...."

The General sits, resting his chin on his hands, "A revolutionary movement eh? Could be problematic..."

"No sir, uh, General-" The messenger continues, General Kanin raises his left brow "-The Revolutionaries appear to not be hostile to our forces at this time. They are revolting in Qingdao so that they can secede from the Taiping and join the Qing and Daxi in the North and South respectively. While the revolutionaries in Tingzhou and the Southern Concessions are revolting to enforce a Presidential Republic...although their figurehead looks to make it a dictatorship from what I assume the reports were getting at....I apologize for my assumptions General."

The General waves off his concern, and continues to write reports while he speaks, "So...the Chinese have revolted against their heretical leaders...it seems we've won this war after all. Although later than intended..."

The Messenger salutes the General, before being dismissed. Leaving Kanin-san to his thoughts...A smirk crosses his face, as he thinks about the spoils of war being worth the tragedy, and the wait...

Qingdao%20Rebels_zps4xbywyrh.png

The Sons of New China, or the New China Movement's horde of rebels in Qingdao. With Taiping troops shown in Qingdao and the meager Japanese Garrison in Weihaiwei
On July 2nd, 1914, after 2 years of what was expected to be an eight month war. The Tingzhou Blunder finally came to a conclusion. The Taiping, having been beat back countless times and facing internal rebellions that ceded Qingdao back to the Qing and provinces South of the Peninsula to the Daxi. Relented control of Tingzhou region to the superior force. Losing yet another key area of their already spread out 'Empire', and leading to the overthrowing of the Monarchy for a dictatorship. Disappointing the revolutionaries, but leading to more stability in the severely reduced country.

But what seemed like to many to be the only war in 1914. A request came in from the General Secretariat of the Rada of All Russias. The Russian Empire would launch it's second war to reclaim land from the Poles. This time Lietuva (with eyes set on Estonia as well). Prime Minister Okū confirmed the order within the hour.

While the Prime Minister expected no Japanese troops would be needed in the war. They failed to take into account the Burgundian support of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Support that would drag Italy, and Romania into the war.

In response ambassadors from both sides worked furiously, recalling and calling in diplomats from both sides trying to put the issue to rest before it amounts to another great tragedy.

However July 14th would live on in infamy for the rest of the millenia. As the Dual Monarchy, a country which Japan had gone to war with several times during the 19th Century. Would join the Russo-Japanese bloc. Meaning the conflict had spiraled from the minor-territorial dispute it was meant to. Into the Second Great War...

Great%20War%20Declaration_zpsppkuigqs.png

A conflict that would no doubt span continents and would be known collectively as...The First World War...

Europe_zpsae7qpmsf.png

Europe Pre-War in 1913
Japan would be ready however. With their advanced technology, the Anglois' Captains of Industry and the Russians Prestigious army. They would lead the conflict with pride and fight against the tyranny of the Burgundians.

Tanks%20and%20Guards_zpsqq5ktyt2.png

Japanese Tanks and Guards would make up a large portion of their expeditionary forces in Europe. The first time such a mixture of units would be used in warfare alongside the Gas Capabilities of the Empire. Truly war had changed, and Japan was leading the change with a hearty charge into battle.

The conflict between the Great Monarchical Powers and the Republics of Europe was coming to fruition, and Japan has sided itself firmly with the Monarchists...
So is this still alive?

Actually mate you asking that has made me get off my butt and write an update, so congratulations~

@Athalcor
Thank you for your encouraging words! I'm just looking forward to getting stuff done. I haven't seen a lot of similar Majoring people on here but I hope to get it done. Ya know.

Although thanks y'all for your patience, the joys of being in College.​

Reactions:
Daxi? That is an old build, isn't it?

Also, that Taungu in Tibet is weird - is it a localisation bug or is Tibet actually a vassal of Taungu?

Daxi? That is an old build, isn't it?

Also, that Taungu in Tibet is weird - is it a localisation bug or is Tibet actually a vassal of Taungu?

It is an old build. I don't have the latest patch cause I wanted to finish this save. So I just got an older version? Not too old though. No idea which version it is tbh?

Anyways yeah Tibet is Taungu's vassal....it was weird. Basically I sphered both Taungu and Tibet and I look away for one second. Then Taungu invades and puppets Tibet. Lotta weird stuff happened this game

At least we know what this war will end : the Burgundian Republican flag :p
I'd say that you are before 0.85. Not a lot of clues for indicating which exact one though.

At least we know what this war will end : the Burgundian Republican flag :p
I'd say that you are before 0.85. Not a lot of clues for indicating which exact one though.

Yay! I forgot to comment on that.

So, as the chairman of the 'Burgundian Republican Flag Alliance', I would like to congratulate @Aliasing for having such a miracle of vexillology in his game.

Yay! I forgot to comment on that.

So, as the chairman of the 'Burgundian Republican Flag Alliance', I would like to congratulate @Aliasing for having such a miracle of vexillology in his game.

Is it rare for me to get that flag?

The Great War will be good occasion to prove what the Japanese Army is worth against the European Ennemies, although given the mighty nations that are on your side, I don't think you will be directly threatened.

A Shot from the Countryside...

Somewhere on the Outskirts of Syracuse

640px-SIRACUSA_VISTA_DALLAEREO_CON_LETNA_SULLO_SFONDO.FOTO_Di_Angelo.jpg

The Island of Ortygia today, where the city of Syracuse was founded thousands of years ago. Also the first place Japanese troops ever set foot in Europe during wartime.

Two soldiers walked a dirt road, several kilometres out of the city. The two men, wearing clean, pressed Japanese military uniforms were accompanying the Ōshū*. With their yellow armbands helping their khaki-black military garbs stand out against the countryside. The greens of the field and white glint of the nearby city accompanied them with a strong backdrop.
They continued down the road, the two handing cigarettes between them, lighting each other's and slinging their rifle over their backs.Then they stopped, looking at the fork in the road ahead of them, they turned down the path towards a small cottage. It must have belonged to the land's owner, many fled during the intervention force's landing in the city. The Italian government had chosen to evacuate the island of Sicily rather than fight the Japanese forces. Even if the Japanese troop number was only around 30,000 in the first wave. The government had chosen to focus on the North.
Needless to say the local populace was not happy about that, and these two soldiers were used to that. They were, after-all unofficially dealing with collaborators in the populace and demographics jobs.

The two soldiers approached the house, smoke still bellowed from it's chimney. Their boots clicked against the increasingly stone road as they approach the door. The light in the kitchen, one of the few places in the country with electricity, clicked off. They looked at each other, puzzled, as the house seemingly died down at their presence.

Approaching the door, one man, a corporal rasped on the door, calling out in broken Italian, "C-
C'è qualcuno a casa?" **

A pregnant pause follows, one man looks to the other.

"Is it because your Italian is garbage?"

"Crap, people around here speak Italian don't they?" Retorts another

"There's a difference?" The two men begin to bicker slightly, going back and forth about their language skills and the obvious nature of someone being home.

A crash, followed by an expletive rings out from the house. Both men stopping, the corporal puts his ear to the door. He stays there for a few counts before moving back. His hand reaching for his trench knife, the other soldier begins to pull his Type 38 *** from his shoulder into his arms.

"Stiamo arrivando a! Sappiamo che sei lì e noi verremo!"** The Corporal called out...

They waited, with no answer...he nodded to his partner.

Aiming his rifle at the door, the second man begun to take his position for entering the house. The Corporal placed the hilt of his knife on the door's knob. His arm raised, and fell sharply, denting the knob roughly. He continued doing this several times, before staggering back. His leg raised, and his boot connected with the door, smashing it open.

"Vieni fuori , non si farà male se ti arrendi alla forza di intervento"** he called out once again, as the two began to strafe into the main hall. Taking defensive positions, he pulled out his Nanbu and walked into the kitchen. The stove was still warm, and coffee still sat in a mug on the counter. It was a wealthy family who lived here by the look of it.

The Corpoal turned to his left, seeing a wall adorned with medals and photos of military servicemen.

"Ittōhei! I think we have a serviceman here!" The Corporal called out to his partner. Who walked in, still on alert. His gun raised to his vision, he strafed and walked in an attempt to seem constantly alert. The Corporal pointed to a picture on the wall, picking it up and holding it out for the Private to see.

"I don't know Italian Republican Guard uniforms...." Said the Private, "But it looks like they are pretty high ranking...who knew that someone like that would bother to live out in the country here in Sicily?"

"Indeed" responded the Corporal.

"It looks like-" A gunshot rings out. The Private's shoulder turns red, and blood spurts onto the Corporal's face. He quickly, drops the photo, grabbing the Private and diving towards a table. Flipping it onto it's side to provide some cover. He stands up, on autopilot. Firing his Nanbu twice. A sharp cry rings out, followed by a light thud. The Corporal pushes the Private up against the table, and silently commands him to put pressure on his shoulder.
Still covered in his partner's blood spatter, the Corporal stands up, gun cocked and ready and approaches the enemy. The doorway where the enemy combatant once was laid empty, with a drag of blood going off to the other side of the house.
The Corporal rushes to the doorway, gunshots ring out again, and he retreats behind into the kitchen once more. Youthful curses echo against the hallway walls. Only getting in every third word, the military man could tell, however, that one of the residents of this house was not happy with the enemy's presence.

He breathes, in, and out, clumsy footsteps continue down the hallway. A clack of metal falling against hardwood, then another curse. Then he moves.
Quickly rushing into the scene, the Corporal pushes himself passed a table, and beats the enemy to their gun. Putting his heal on the old pistol, and kicking it far behind him. Holding his Nanbu to the enemy's head, it dawns on him. His opponent, bleeding, clutching his shoulder and leg was a teenager at most.

The teenager's pupils were fully dilated, and the look on his face died down from hate, to fear. The Private ran into the hall, holding his pistol as well. The Corporal held his hand out to him, and pointed to the gun on the ground near him.

"Ittōhei, call in to say what happened. Ask for a medical van or two. This boy is in need of assistance also..."

"But Gochō-"

The Corporal turns to glare at the Private, who scurries back into the kitchen. Dialing on the phone in the background as he turns back to the kid. He kneels down, and speaks in broken Italian once again...

"Sei fortunato questa casa ha un telefono..."**

* The Ōshū or Ōshū no kai nyūryoku (European Intervention Force) was the official name of the contingent of 30 thousand Japanese Men, Personal and Armoured divisions deployed from the Home Islands to the Italian Front. Making landfall in Early August, they changed the perception of Japan's ability to display it's military power on another continent to many in the Republican Alliance.

** Translations of Italian: (Google translate really helps if your character is bad at a language, BTW)

C'è qualcuno a casa? = Is anyone home?

Stiamo arrivando a! Sappiamo che sei lì e noi verremo! = We're coming in, we know you're in there

Vieni fuori , non si farà male se ti arrendi alla forza di intervento =
Come out , we will not hurt you if you surrender to the intervention force

Sei fortunato questa casa ha un telefono = You're lucky this house has a phone

*** A type 38 is one of the standard bolt-action rifle of service in the Japanese Imperial army, introduced in 1906 both OTL and TTL

What is an update? Oh wait this is an update?!?!

Just showing the beginning resistance to Japanese occupation in Europe, there will be more to come soon~ hopefully

Thanks y'all for reading!

The Italians may be relatively easy to defeat in the battlefield, but on the countryside, they provide harsh resistance.

I'm just cutting out the images and doing stuff with them now. So once I'm done them all I'll be posting an update within the week most likely. However, an out-of-canon preview....is just...F-ing Russians....

So some good news, some bad news, and some hopeful news

The good news is I have a new computer! Yaaaay

Bad news is I don't have access to my old photobucket so I have to rehost the images on another website (any recommendations?)

Hopeful news is I still have all the screenshots from WW1 onwards. So yeah, just need to work on reuploading them. Sorry for delay y'all.

So some good news, some bad news, and some hopeful news

The good news is I have a new computer! Yaaaay

Bad news is I don't have access to my old photobucket so I have to rehost the images on another website (any recommendations?)

Hopeful news is I still have all the screenshots from WW1 onwards. So yeah, just need to work on reuploading them. Sorry for delay y'all.

Might sound naughty, but you could make another Photobucket acc.