• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 160: The Children

Middlebury
Reyna Sheeran

Reyna and Ser Arthur stared at a crudely drawn map of The Westmarch. The quality did not matter to Reyna as the proportions and locations were accurate enough to make her plans for battle against the rebels under the command of Victaria Tarly. Tensions were high in the room as the Tarly rebels were already marching toward Middlebury.

A few scouts had joined the meeting, prepared to give their reports. Reyna and Ser Arthur were the only commanders present as the other nobles still loyal to House Sheeran were out raising their troops. The Sheeran forces could not afford to wait, a plan had to be created quick so it could be immediately enacted once the armies were gathered.

"Tell me more about the Tarly forces," Reyna ordered.

One of the scouts bowed his head.

"My lady, the enemy numbers over four-thousand troops and is comprised of banner troops and sellswords," the scout reported.
"How many of the enemy are sellswords?" Ser Arthur asked.
"About half the enemy army."
"Where would the Tarlys have gotten the funds to hire about two-thousand sellswords?" Reyna asked.

Ser Arthur frowned.

"If she is able to hire that many men, she'll probably be able to sustain them," Ser Arthur said.
"How many men can we muster?"

A second scout bowed his head.

"About thirty-two hundred," the second scout reported.

Reyna frowned.

"Not as much as I hoped for."
"At least the odds aren't too in favour of the enemy; a few hundred men is does not help the enemy in a siege," Ser Arthur assured.
"Everyone's so scattered and not even the Oakenshield troops are here yet, if the Tarlys attacked now..."
"My lady, I left not that much earlier than the rest of the Oakenshield forces, they should be here tomorrow."
"Still, the troops from Darkdell have not been fully gathered either."

The third scout stepped forward and bowed his head.

"My lady, the Tarly forces will be here in four days," the third scout reported.
"That can't be right," Ser Arthur said.
"What's wrong?" Reyna asked.

Ser Arthur stroked his chin and stared down at the map on the table.

"Victaria announced her intentions two days ago. If that is true, it would take the Tarly forces almost a fortnight to get here."
"What does that mean for us?"

Ser Arthur paused. He continued stroking his chin but then snapped his fingers.

"What if the Tarlys don't have a lot of money left?"
"Why would she hire so many if she couldn't afford to keep them for long?"
"She wants to fight us in a decisive battle and then end the contract. If we stall for time, the sellswords will leave Victaria or even attack her."
"Then we need to hold in Middlebury. I don't know how long we can hold out considering we used up most of the food reserves during our first war with the Tarlys years ago."

Ser Arthur frowned and then nodded.

"It should be enough to hold out until the money runs out. With the Oakenshield troops, we will be able to hold the walls until that happens."
"I've had my fill of sieges after Highgarden and our first conflict with House Tarly. But if that's the only way."
"Don't worry, my lady. We have a position of strength, we'll only need to wait a few weeks and we can make our move."
"Weeks?"

Ser Arthur shrugged and resumed staring at the map. Reyna wanted to believe that she would never have to fight another battle ever since she claimed The Westmarch for herself, but that was not the way life worked. She sighed at the prospect of another siege, maybe it would not be as bad as Highgarden which lasted months against a much more competent and homogeneous group of soldiers. Still, Victaria Tarly was not one to underestimate like the Tarlys did with Reyna. With Victaria leading four-thousand troops to Middlebury, everything hinged on whether or not Victaria had enough coin to pay her sellswords.

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

Arwyn was watching from afar while taking care of Benedict. She tried to watch Tywin play with the children, but just like before, she mostly kept herself distant. To any lesser man, Arwyn would have been abandoned or unloved immediately. But Tywin knew of the ills that troubled her, he knew of what had happened while he had left to muster troops to fight Otherys' war for him. He still loved her.

Tywin turned his attention away from Arwyn and returned it to Sumner and Ed. He lifted Sumner into the air and placed him on his shoulders. Pretending to be a great beast, Tywin did his best to imitate a dragon's screeching. He tried his best not to think of Otherys' dragon as he did this, fooling himself into thinking that every dragon had an extremely distinct call that Tywin was doing instead. He remembered the things that beast did under Otherys, especially what it ate during a traumatic experience for many people.

"Forward! To conquest!" Sumner yelled eagerly.

Sumner flailed his arms around as if he were holding a sword. He made noises that were most likely an impression of clanging steel, pantomiming being engaged in an intense aerial duel. The boy looked up to his father and other heroes of the past, just like Tywin did with his father and grandfather. Tywin humoured Sumner's fondness of fighting and the battlefield, hoping for him to enjoy himself as much as possible before he would grow up and see what war really was, and the King he could be serving one day.

Tywin ran down the cobbled pathways of the garden that weaved between platforms featuring flowers and other botanical displays. Ed followed closely behind, giggling and holding onto Tywin's trousers when he managed to catch up. Tywin took Sumner past a platform that had a giant hedge growing in it. With Sumner on his shoulders, Tywin could not see him and could only hear the swishing and clanging noises he made with his mouth. Soon, Sumner made an extremely loud and drawn out noise which prompted Tywin to stop. He looked behind him and saw Sumner holding onto a small branch ripped out of the hedge.

"Look, father! I slayed the other dragon!" Sumner cried out in victory.

Tywin smiled. A true dragonslayer indeed, he thought. Although, he hoped that Sumner or any of the other children would have to stand face to face with a dragon. As invincible as House Sheeran was when it came to battlefield tactics and strategic movements, it had never tested itself against a dragon and it was probably for the best that it remained that way. But when the chaos comes, we may just end up facing dragons, Tywin thought, sighing.

While Sumner was enjoying himself, Tywin turned to Ed who was smiling and waiting patiently with his hands to his sides.

"Ed, would you like a turn?" Tywin asked.

Ed shook his head while still maintaining his smile.

"Sumner can still fly if he wants!" Ed answered enthusiastically.

h7psY2N.png

Such patience brought much honour to House Sheeran, not to mention relief. Sumner and Ed got along well because of Ed's patience, always allowing Sumner to go off and do his hijinks, perfectly fine with being a follower.

"Fly!" Sumner yelled while pointing his arm forward as if commanding an army to charge.

Tywin did as commanded and flew forward through the gardens while Ed maintained himself behind the flying dragon and its rider. To mimic a dragon further, Tywin flapped his arms outward, still bringing his hands back to Sumner's feet every now and then to make sure he was secure. Sumner continued with his giggling while Ed produced his own from the ground behind Tywin. Those sounds, that joy, they were what Tywin fought for, what Tywin tolerated Otherys for. He was still not entirely sure if what had been done in the past was worth it, but every time he saw his children smile, he was just closer to a definitive answer.

After some more playing, Tywin stopped in his tracks and turned around. Ed was still there, smiling like he always did. Tywin could not help but smile even with Sumner hopping around while he was still on Tywin's shoulders, irritating his neck a little.

"Ed, do you want your turn now?" Tywin asked.

Ed shook his head again.

"It's okay, father! Let Sumner fly!" Ed answered.

TnPQFPG.png

"You're okay with Sumner flying all the time? Why don't you want a turn?"

Ed shyly looked away from Tywin.

"Dragons are scary."

Tywin chuckled, almost bursting into a full fit of laughter. Sumner laughed as well, taking a break from slaying dragons and swinging his sword.

"They're not scary! Fly with me!" Sumner called.
"One at a time, boys. I may be strong, but I can't take both of you," Tywin said as he looked back to where Arwyn was sitting.

She was still there. Tywin had completely forgotten in his bliss. Her frown still remained and Tywin could barely see her eyes as she looked down at the ground while Benedict was still by her side. He stared at Arwyn as Sumner remained on Tywin's shoulders while Ed pulled on his trousers. Small holdouts of her beauty remained, but most of her wonderful face had been conquered by despair. Tywin put Sumner down and began walking toward Arwyn.

"Sumner, Ed, you two play together for now!" Tywin ordered as he continued walking toward Arwyn.
"Yes, father! Let's go slay more dragons!" Sumner responded.

Tywin stood in front of Arwyn and lifted her chin. She tried to slide her chin out by Tywin's grip was firm. He stared into her eyes, the flesh that surrounded her eye was blackened from stress and lack of sleep while the eye itself did not seem to shine or reflect the sun as much as it did in her youth. Just like the rest of her face, there was still some beauty in her eyes, but it was buried deep inside a sea of darkness.

"Benedict, go play with your brothers," Tywin said.

Benedict ran in the direction of Sumner and Ed when Tywin gave him a slight nudge. Now, Tywin and Arwyn were left alone. To Arwyn's credit, she tried to look at Tywin, but some sort of spell compelled her to look away. It had to be a spell, how could she not want to look her husband in the eye? Especially when the two of them loved each other.

"Arwyn, please, I need my beautiful wife back. I need the wonderful girl that I fell in love with back at Casterly Rock," Tywin said.
"I don't know if she'll ever come back," Arwyn struggled to say.
"Arwyn, are you scared that I don't love you? Are you worried that I resent you for what happened?"

Arwyn did not respond or move. While no explicit answer had been given, her silence was more than enough for Tywin.

"Arwyn, I still love you. If you think you need my forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. You had no choice in the matter. Now I'm here, I will protect you," Tywin explained.
"I could've drank Moon Tea..."

Tywin lifted Arwyn's chin again before putting his hands on Arwyn's shoulders.

"Arwyn, Gerold is our son. Besides, you didn't drink the Moon Tea because you knew you needed to tell the truth. That's the Arwyn I love, the one that always does the right thing."
"What if Gerold becomes a monster? It could be in his blood."
"Gerold is our son, he will not be a monster. It's not about blood, it's about how we raise him."
"Are you so sure?"
"We're both still quiet new to parenting, Arwyn, but I think Gerold will become a great man like the rest of our sons will. His silver hair and violet eyes will make him unique, but he is a Sheeran."

Tywin paused and then took one of Arwyn's hands.

"Come," Tywin said, "let's go play with the children."
"I would only ruin things, they seem to love you more."

Tywin sighed, but he tried to force a smile in order to make things positive.

"They only seem to like me more because you refuse to join us. Our boys miss their mother, come play with them. Besides, I want you to see what kind of upbringing Gerold will get. Once the day is over and we've exhausted ourselves from playing, tell me again that Gerold will become a monster."

Arwyn was silent, but then she eventually nodded.

"Okay, let's go."

Tywin smiled, wielding a genuine one this time. Arwyn had mostly improved in the time since Tywin returned from the battlefield. She did not cry as much and could at least look at Tywin a bit before getting the urge to look away. Still, she had a long way to go and Tywin only hoped this trend would continue in the years to come. If she could get a taste of playing with the children and being a mother again, maybe it would be enough of a push to make Arwyn the beautiful flower she once was.

King's Landing
Sumner Sheeran

Sumner generally did not like suppers because of how boring they were. That all changed when his father had returned from fighting in glorious battle for the King. He told some stories, but Sumner knew there were a few things his father was keeping from him. The best stories for last, he concluded.

Even if they were boring, at least the food was good. Sumner stuck his fork into a piece of meat that his father had cut for him. He could not really tell what the thick browned and blackened chunk was, to him, it was meat while to adults called it a different animal each time. It tasted good, but Sumner was never one to catalogue the tastes and pick favourites, food was food and that meant it was supposed to be eaten, the enjoyment was a bonus.

Sitting across from Sumner at the table was his father. He had just come home from business serving the realm. The man was still dressed for the part, his thick leather robes sticking out from the simple ones everyone else wore. But what interested Sumner the most was Jade, House Sheeran's ancestral Valyrian Steel sword. His father did not have time to put it away and brought it to supper.

Sumner admired the hilt, analyzing each jade encrusted on it as he chewed on the meat which had a slight burning texture and taste on some of the edges. Even the sheath was incredible, made of leather with intricate symbols and patterns imprinted on it. The only thing Sumner could not see was the blade, probably the only thing that really made the sword unique among any other sword. Anyone could encrust jade on their hilt, anyone could pay for fine leather. But Valyrian Steel, that was something that put any of the imitators to shame. Sumner had heard the stories of how light they were, how they sang a different song when summoned, and the names of many just like Jade.

This sword would be Sumner's some day, but he could not wait. He wanted to examine it, to feel the blade for himself. His father had kept the sword in his chambers most of the time when he was home so tonight was the first opportunity in a long time for him. He looked around, his parents and brothers were too focused on their food to watch Sumner who acted as if he were going to flip the table.

Sumner dropped his fork on the floor which prompted everyone to look over to him. A servant walked forward toward Sumner to pick up the fork but he held up a hand and dove under the table.

"I'll get it!" Sumner said.

He saw the fork immediately. However, his eyes were on the true prize: Jade. Sumner slowly crawled over to his father's legs on the opposite side of the table, pretending to still be searching for it. He would have to crawl out a bit to be able to reach the blade, exposing himself. There was a problem as Ed was sitting next to his father which made his legs and chair close enough to his father's that crawling through would require much effort.

Sumner took a deep breath and crawled on his four limbs slowly. He had seen Faithful walk and prowl, he tried his best to emulate that. But Faithful had the agility of a dog because that was what he was. Sumner was no dog. He did his best to twist himself so he could squeeze through Ed and his father's chairs. Remarkably, he managed to get through without alerting anyone as they continued eating.

"Did you get the fork yet?" Sumner's father asked.

Sumner did not reply as he was directly beside his father, a response would have given him away. He rose to his knees and kept his head low so anyone on the other side would not have seen him. With his fingers inches away from the hilt, Sumner gently wrapped one hand around the hilt and pulled. It was a lot heavier than he thought it would be but managed to hear a slight hiss and see the extremely bright steel before a hand caught his wrist.

"What are you doing?" Sumner's father asked in alarm.

Everyone stopped and silence swept the dining room. Sumner pouted and meekly stood up, his head down and hands clasped in front of him.

"Sorry, father. I just wanted to see your sword," Sumner answered.

Sumner's mother and brothers shared expressions of confusion. His father, however, smiled and stood up from his chair. He took a step back and slowly drew Jade from its sheath. Even at a slow pace, Jade sang as Tywin called it from its slumber. The sheath had made the sword deceptively small, without it, it revealed that it was almost as tall as Sumner. Sumner reached forward to touch it.

"Careful, son, it's very sharp."

Sumner heeded the warning and slid his fingers gently on the flat side of the sword.

"It's so big."
"Tell me, son, why do you want to see my sword so much?"
"I want to learn to fight! I want to be like you and grandfather!"

Sumner's father laughed. He sheathed the weapon and looked over to Sumner's mother who smile slightly, an increasingly common sight in the past few days.

"I think he's getting old enough," Sumner's mother said.

Sumner perked up.

"Then can I learn? I want to learn!"

Sumner's father rustled Sumner's hair and sat down in his chair.

"I think we can do better. Sumner, how would you like to be my squire?" Sumner's father asked.

ORCHjur.png

"Yes! Yes! I want to be your squire! I want to be a knight!"
"Serve me well and you may get yourself knighted. I can hear it now, 'Ser Sumner Sheeran.'"
"Can we start after supper?"
"I'm sorry, Sumner. I'm quite tired. I'll find you an instructor and come in to teach you personally every now and then."
"Thank you!"

Everyone at the table laughed, even the servants smiled. Sumner ran back to his chair on the other side of the table and sat down. He noticed a new fork had been placed to the side of his plate and he used it to dig into his food as he would need to be well-fed for lessons. His father's sword remained a constant in Sumner's mind as he continued eating, sometimes pretending his fork was a sword. There would be no more pretending, he would be a swordsman for real, wielding weapons much like his father's. As Sumner finished the last of the food on his plate, he thought about his future as a squire, his future as a knight. Soon, his mind turned to what type of warrior he would be, winning battles and glory for his family.

I must agree, it feels like this is the calm before the storm for Tywin.

Chapter 161: To Protect Those Held Dear

Middlebury
Reyna Sheeran

It took seconds for the sellswords to turn on the Tarlys. One moment, they were laying siege to Middlebury, the next, they attacked the forces of Victaria Tarly. Reyna was watching the chaos of the Tarly camp from the safety of her walls. It was expected that this would happen, but Ser Arthur had made it seem like the enemy would crumble days after arriving; it had been a month.

The courtyard was buzzing with activity as Reyna had given the order for her forces to sally out. Middlebury's portcullis opened and infantrymen poured out of the portal to join in on the struggle. Cavalrymen waited to the side of the courtyard, letting the infantry leave first so both groups could arrive at the Tarly camp at the same time. It took about twenty minutes for a majority of the garrison to leave before the cavalry went out into the field.

Ser Arthur was next to Reyna and stared out into the distance. He planted his hands on the gap between the merlons and leaned outward.

"It could be a trick, my lady," Ser Arthur warned.
"There's too much killing for it to be a trick; it's too convincing," Reyna argued.
"I wouldn't put it past our foes to use trickery to draw us out."
"I wouldn't put it past those sellswords to take their pay by force."

Ser Arthur nodded.

"Good point, my lady."

Reyna watched the battle rage on in the camp as her troops marched in formation while the cavalry kept to the flanks to chase anyone fleeing. It took the Sheeran troops another twenty minutes to reach the Tarly camp, by then, a large number of tents had been toppled and several fires had started in various areas. Reyna nodded at the sight of the battle and headed down a set of stairs to the courtyard with Ser Arthur right behind her.

"I'm going out there," Reyna declared.
"The battle has yet to be won, it'll be too dangerous, my lady."
"It's over."
"We still don't know what the sellswords are going to do."
"They won't attack us if they're not getting paid."

Ser Arthur reluctantly nodded and lead Reyna to her personal stables where several horses remained. Reyna mounted a horse and waited for Ser Arthur and a few guards to also get horses of their own. She then gently urged her horse forward with a trot, stalling for time as the battle continued outside the castle. What men that remained in the castle bowed to Reyna as she passed through the portcullis and out onto the open field.

Once she was in the open, Reyna whipped the reins to send her horse forward. She did not whip too hard or too often, still wanting to wait a bit before entering the camp. Her troops had mingled with the camp and joined the frenzy of sellswords and Tarly troops running around. From where she was, she could see that the men who did not wear heraldry--who were most likely the sellswords--tended to avoid the Sheeran troops. This is good, Reyna thought as she continued her advance.

The camp's boundary was marked by ditches and toppled or burning fortifications. Knocked over weapon stands and tents formed a collapsed inner wall past the outer perimeter which displayed the carnage that was happening not that far from Reyna's position. She could hear the screaming, the steel, and the hundreds, if not thousands of footsteps.

It took her back to her first war, the first time Middlebury was besieged. It had played out so similarly with Reyna waiting until a third force would attack the Tarlys for her. Back then, it was Melara's relief from Casterly Rock, today, it was the sellswords hired by the Tarlys themselves. The coincidences made her frown as Lord Tarly could not be captured due to him getting killed. If Reyna failed to capture Victaria, the war would last another couple of months, maybe even a year. She needed to capture Victaria alive.

After some time, most of the Tarly forces had either been slaughtered or fled into the horizon. To Reyna's surprise, the sellswords did not even send men to negotiate or talk with her, they simply formed into a column and marched away after gathering most of the tents and items that made up their own camp. Reyna did not complain as this gave her more time to search for Victaria.

Victaria for now seemed to have eluded the Sheerans as the treacherous woman had yet to be brought to Reyna in chains. The cavalry had been keeping an eye out for fleeing riders or anyone fitting Victaria's description and their inaction at the flanks of the camp meant that they had yet to find her. But before she could even reach the point of despair, some of her men brought a woman to Reyna. Much to her enjoyment, the woman was in chains.

The woman was of similar age to Reyna and had long hair that was a dark-orange, fitting Victaria's description. Instead of a standard noblewoman's dress like the one that Reyna was wearing, Victaria wore leather armour covered in chainmail. It reminded Reyna of Melara, but instead of a woman of honour, a traitor and fool was thrown to her knees in Reyna's presence.

Reyna smiled and crossed her arms after dismounting her horse. Ser Arthur also dismounted and put away his sword after landing on the ground. Victaria looked up with a scowl and defiantly maintained an uncomfortable amount of eye contact.

"Victaria," Reyna greeted.

Victaria did not say a word, favouring sucking in her lips instead of engaging. While Reyna waited for her prisoner to respond, she listened in to the sounds around her. The screaming, steel, and footsteps had not dissipated, it only weakened as the Tarly troops were down to their last holdouts.

"You will speak to Lady Reyna when addressed," Ser Arthur commanded, hand wrapped around the pommel of his sword.

Victaria continued scowling at Reyna.

"Are you enjoying this?" Victaria asked.
"I don't think I enjoy having to fight pointless conflicts," Reyna answered, a smug grin forming on her face.
"Pointless? I am avenging my family. You don't deserve your position."
"I think I deserve my position very much."

Victaria shook her head.

"House Tarly has ruled The Westmarch for thousands of years, it is ours by right. You Sheerans, you are all usurpers and thieves. Middlebury, Oakenshield, and Casterly Rock, your greedy family has toppled those with thousands of years of history."
"Maybe they deserved to fall. Or, they made choices that eventually lead to House Sheeran coming into power."
"Houses don't just fall without someone else orchestrating it. How long before your rotten house has desires for The Iron Throne?"
"You speak highly of my house, I am glad you think we have a good chance at taking Westeros."

Victaria spit on Reyna's dress which prompted her to immediately kick Victaria. The tip of her shoe slammed right into her gut, forcing Victaria to the ground. Ser Arthur was silent but ordered Reyna's guards to take Victaria by the shoulders and pull her back up to her knees.

"I never said your house would succeed. I hope you fail and are all fed to the dragons."

Reyna frowned.

"Why are you so hostile, Victaria? You do know your house did start this conflict by taking my mother and grandfather."

Victaria shook her head.

"No, your house started this. You may have been born here, but you are not Reachmen. Your house will always be dogs from The Westerlands, making a mockery of our heritage by breathing our own air."
"That's kind of a stretch, wouldn't you agree?"
"Foreigners are scum. You speak the common tongue and pray to the Seven, but you are from somewhere else."

Reyna shrugged.

"We're all Andals here, Victaria."

Victaria shook her head again.

"House Tarly has existed before the Andal invasion, our heritage has always been tied to The Reach. But the same can not be said for you."

Reyna sighed.

"I grow tired of speaking to you. Ser Arthur, take Victaria back to Oakenshield to be our prisoner. And have a raven sent to Nightsong to inform the people there that their leader and army has been defeated."

yVuVFTv.png

Ser Arthur bowed his head and stepped forward.

"Yes, my lady," Ser Arthur acknowledged.

The men brought Victaria to her feet and began taking her back in the direction of Milddebury. Suddenly, she jerked back and locked eyes with Reyna.

"House Tarly shall have its vengeance. Never forget that," Victaria threatened.
"Good luck doing that from the confines of a cell," Reyna joked.

Victaria's scowl reached a level not previously encountered but did not resist when the guards pushed her along. Reyna watched the woman get taken away. She maintained a smug grin and crossed arms in hopes that Victaria would look back to see who had truly won. When Victaria left the confines of the camp, the fighting had completely died down and now all that was left were crackling flames and groaning from the wounded.

Reyna sighed. Melara preached peace and did not want Reyna to continue the hostilities between House Sheeran and Tarly. But Reyna had only been in The Reach for a few weeks and did not know what Reyna was truly up against. Victaria confirmed Reyna's suspicions that House Tarly would never seek peace, they would continue to fight until one house was left standing. I shall make an example of Victaria and show House Tarly what it means to fight me now, Reyna thought, her smug grin intensifying.

King's Landing
Sumner Sheeran

Sumner walked through the Sheeran manor. There was nothing to do as he could not find any of his brothers in the common areas and gardens. His parents were absent as his father was busy with his duties while his mother was visiting the manor next door. Sumner sighed and walked to the dining hall which was a place he enjoyed to just sit down and think in.

As usual, the dining hall was empty as lunch was an hour or two ago. Sumner walked over to the chair he usually sat in and seated himself as if he were ready for supper. He rested his fingers on the edge of the table and kicked his legs forward and backward as he was still not tall enough to rest his feet flat on the floor.

Suddenly, there was a commotion in the kitchens. There was crying and the sounds of something hitting a few surfaces. Sumner leaped out of his chair and cautiously approached the door. The crying was more clear as Sumner got close to the kitchens, it was a young boy that was crying, a boy that sounded quite familiar.

The doors burst open and Sumner's brother Ed ran past him and zipped around the table. Immediately behind Ed came the cook's son who was carrying a broom and using the handle like a sword. The cook's son was the same age as Sumner, although, Sumner had the advantage of height slightly. He was chasing Ed and the brief glimpse Sumner got on his face showed that he was chasing after Ed, intending to hit him.

Sumner did not hesitate and sprung into action. He chased after the cook's son who in his rage did not notice Sumner behind him. Ed tried to open the door to the corridor but was too slow and fled, not even noticing Sumner trying to rush to his aid. In Ed's panic, he had ended up getting cornered by the cook's son.

Ed's face was completely red while tears ran down his eyes. He sobbed loudly and curled up into a ball in the corner he was trapped in by the cook's son. His appearance was pitiful, upsetting Sumner even more.

LnCOepG.png

The cook's son was about to bring the broom's handle down on Ed when Sumner grabbed it from behind. Ed gasped while the cook's son turned around to see who was getting in his way. The boy was surprised to see Sumner, but then he scowled.

"What are you doing to my brother?" Sumner demanded.
"He stole from the kitchens! I'm punishing him!" the cook's son answered.
"Ed, did you steal?"

Ed sheepishly nodded.

"Yes..." Ed answered while looking away from Sumner.

Sumner tightened his grip on the broom's handle.

"Even if he did, my father can punish my brother. You should go back and help your mother in the kitchens."

The cook's son swiftly jerked the hand holding the broom to get Sumner to let go. Sumner did not budge which frustrated the boy.

"He ate our food!" the cook's son explained angrily.
"Still, you're not going to hit him."

The two struggled and immediately snapped the broom in two. Sumner was given a half of the shaft while the cook's son got the other half with the broom. Trying to even the odds, the cook's son ripped off the broom so both boys would be carrying shafts as if they were swords.

Fortunately for Sumner, he had already started his swordfighting lessons and adopted a basic stance he was taught by his instructor. His stance was staggered, extending one arm out while the other arm was behind him, the same was applied to his feet. He could see the amateurism in his opponent as the cook's son's whole body faced Sumner with both hands exposed to an attack even though one was holding the shaft.

The cook's son made the first attack and let out a great attack before making a sideways swing to Sumner's left. Sumner immediately brought his weapon in the path of the attack and stopped it dead before it could hit him. Using the moment as an opportunity, Sumner brought his other hand forward, curling it into a fist that flew right into the cook's son's face. He could feel the chubby flesh of the boy's face wrapping around his knuckles like a parting sea.

In seconds, the boy was thrown to the ground and it was his turn to cry. He held his face where Sumner had punched and cried loudly before standing up to flee back into the kitchens.

VKTzCQD.png

Sumner threw down the broken shaft and ran over to Ed who was still in his corner. He had mostly stopped crying once his attacker had fled. The boy still sniffled a little and the red on his face was only a shade lighter. Sumner knelt down next to Ed and examined him, checking for bruises or blood. To Sumner's relief, Ed looked mostly unharmed.

"Are you okay, Ed?" Sumner asked.
"You punched him!" Ed said, still in shock.
"I had to, he was going to hurt you."
"Father and mother are going to be so angry."
"I don't care, the cook's son won't bother you after today."

Ed nodded.

"Thank you, Sumner."
"Nobody touches my brothers. Someone said that Sheerans should stick together, well, that's what I'm doing."

Ed nodded again, smiling this time.

"I want... I want to do what you did."

Sumner smiled.

"Practice, and you'll be able to protect Benedict and Gerold."
"What about you?"
"I'm the biggest brother, I'm the one that has to protect the rest."

Ed wiped his face with his sleeve and nodded. His sniffling had come less often and stood on his two feet again. Sumner grinned at the sight of his brother's defiance, although, he still feared for him.

Ed was only a year younger than Sumner, but he still acted like a baby. He was always so passive, waiting around and following rather than taking charge. It was those and other characteristics that brought the cook's son down on him today. He needed to change and become a man like what Sumner was growing into. With two other brothers besides Ed, Sumner needed all the help he could get in protecting them.

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

Tywin walked along the walls of King's Landing, admiring the city. He listened to the sounds of people talking and shuffling about in the streets below. Their voices were not distinct, but the tones and volume suggested peace and comfort. It was ironic, considering Tywin did not feel so safe living in the same city as Otherys, he also felt his family was unsafe being so close to Otherys as well.

The reason he was up on the walls today was to inspect the defences and make any necessary changes. He had his men recruit more troops and reinforced the guards on the walls, showing off strength to enemies that would scout out the city.

aThLsys.png

Tywin looked down in the city street below adjacent to the wall. He had other reasons for increasing the guard, while there were enemies outside, there were also potential ones inside the city too. Patrolling the tight corridors between buildings alongside the Goldcloaks and Targaryen guards were men of the Faith Militant.

They wore black robes and carried clubs and staffs. To Tywin, a man in robes carrying nothing but a club would have been a laughable opponent that he easily could have dispatched of. However, he could not laugh when he had gotten a recent report on their numbers. There were thousands of them, mostly congregating around the Sept of Baelor at first before they had the numbers to patrol the rest of the city. While they did not go around punishing sinners or causing much trouble, Tywin was mostly concerned on where their allegiances would lie in the event of a siege. King's Landing's walls would hold off an enemy assault, but what of an enemy within the walls?

He sighed and contemplated the possibilities when he spotted Maerys Targaryen walking along the battlements. The man was approaching Tywin, using a cane to help with his steps. Age is getting to him, frankly, I'm surprised he's still alive, Tywin thought. He helped Maerys close the distance and walked toward him.

"Tywin," Maerys called.
"Prince Maerys, what are you doing here?" Tywin asked.

Maerys smiled as his body jerked with every step.

"I wanted to see how you were doing. I see you're maintaining the defences well."
"Hopefully we won't have to use them."

Maerys laughed.

"Hopefully."

Tywin faked a smile. Another rebel would rise up even if Raymund had failed and the Essosi were getting restless, Tywin needed King's Landing to be ready. He decided he needed to change the topic as the thought of the defences being put to the test meant putting Arwyn and the children in hypothetical danger.

"Still on the prowl for Dornish threats?"

Maerys smiled at first but then shook his head. He walked over to the battlements and looked past the gap between the merlons.

"The Dornish have mostly stopped once Jacaerys was murdered. I never did get proof that they killed him, but they must be happy at what Otherys is doing."
"So what are you on the lookout for now?"

Maerys sighed.

"A war is coming, Tywin."

Tywin frowned. He had the same conclusion and immediately confirmed it when Maerys made his statement. More men would challenge Otherys, and all of them would have to be crushed, even if Tywin sympathized with their causes. He sighed and stared out into the open field and roads before the city.

"More rebels shall come and the Essosi have been getting bolder. I fear what Benerro is going to do, considering the man has strong ties to Myr."

Maerys shook his head.

"This isn't going to be some small rebellion, Tywin. This will be a great war, a war the likes we haven't seen for decades. The peace that my mother and brother fostered in Westeros could only last so long and now it has reached a point where that bubble is going to burst. Frankly, a man like Otherys only expedited the process; the bubble would've popped regardless."
"Have you warned the King?"

Maerys said nothing and stared silently out into the horizon.

"Why should you care if I warn the King? Considering you wish to betray him some day."

Tywin paused, taken by complete shock. He almost took hold of Jade reflexively while his heart's beating began to pick up its pace. It had suddenly become very warm and Tywin struggled to formulate a response. While Tywin squirmed around, Maerys continued staring outward, quiet, waiting for Tywin to say something.

"Betray the King? Why-"
"Save it, Tywin. Otherys is human scum and I know what he's done to your wife."

Tywin sighed.

"I've never hated a man so much in my life. I've done nothing but serve him and yet he defiles my wife. Why would he do such a thing?"
"Otherys is unpredictable which is probably why the Dornish have stopped with plotting as they can't be sure about Otherys' responses and actions. As for your wife, the man enjoys power and nothing else. House Sheeran has been the most powerful house in Westeros since the days of Dale Sheeran, Otherys knows this and openly values your loyalty. But in the shadows, he needs some way to beat you, that's why your defenceless wife is a target."

Tywin clenched his fists.

"My wife is a beautiful and loving woman, but to Otherys, she is a tool to get at me. I... I don't think I've ever met someone so horrible."
"If it makes you feel any better, I've managed to convince Otherys to find other ways to get at you."

Did he really think that would make me feel better? Tywin thought.

"So what is he going to do to me now?"

Maerys shrugged.

"I don't know, but you should be ready."

Tywin could not believe that Maerys was so nonchalant about Otherys' crimes. It was almost as if the man was supportive of Otherys. But if he was truly supportive of Otherys, why was he telling all of this to Tywin?

"Why do you stand by Otherys? You and I both know he is a disgusting man."

Maerys sighed.

"I don't stand by him. No, I stand by House Targaryen."
"What would great Targaryens like Aegon the Conqueror, Daenerys, or Allyria think of a man like this?"
"Don't use our mutual love for knowledge to convince me to betray my house."
"Why take the effort to tell me everything if you support Otherys?"

Maerys leaned his cane along the battlements and crossed his arms.

"Because you're one of the few men that can keep the realm stable. I'll be honest with you, Tywin, my trust in you has deteriorated over the years, but still, I need you to help me do what my mother charged me to do."
"What did the great Allyria Targaryen tell you?"
"She wanted me to protect House Targaryen. Otherys may be horrible, but my mother was a wonderful queen and I intend to follow her wishes."

For the good of the realm, Tywin's father's voice nagged. Tywin could identify with Maerys' struggle, he could see that the man did not approve of Otherys. But just as Tywin was charged by his father, Maerys was charged by his mother to serve the realm, even if it was Otherys' realm.

"Why can't we get one of his brothers on the throne? Aemond would be a good candidate since he rides Drogon."

Maerys shook his head.

"A palace coup could turn into a civil war. I will not risk what integrity our realm has left to put one of your cousins on the throne."
"We have so many alternatives to Otherys, why prevent ourselves from pursuing them?"
"I'm not preventing you from putting your cousins on the throne. How's Otherys' son Gerold doing by the way?"

Tywin was again taken by shock. Gerold had been kept hidden from prying eyes and the midwives who delivered him were paid to keep silent. But then, it became obvious what Maerys was doing by revealing this bit of information. He tells me that he will not prevent me from pursuing an alternative while simultaneously and subtly tell me of the consequences. A true Master of Whispers, Tywin thought.

"You've been spying on me?"
"I've always been spying on you."
"What about our friendship? The trust you had with my father?"
"You're a great military commander, Tywin. But you're a fool to think that friends shouldn't be watched carefully. In fact, had you spied on me, you would've known this was coming. And yet, here you are, taken by complete surprise."
"So is that it? Are we no longer allies? Do I call you an enemy now?"

Maerys shook his head.

"I still want to work with you, Tywin, but this is a product of the times we're living in. A great war is coming and many daggers are being sharpened for Otherys. You may have yet to even acquire that metaphorical dagger, but I know of the troubles that plague you. Any lesser man would've cracked by now, but you are holding. But still, all men break eventually."

With that, Maerys picked up his cane and began walking away down the battlements back the way he came. Tywin was speechless and could only watch the ageing Targaryen leave his side. After a bit of walking, Maerys stopped and turned his head around.

"Tywin, if you ever do get around to rebelling against Otherys. The only thing I ask of you is to do it after I die," Maerys said.

He did not wait for Tywin's response and resumed walking. The street and city past the walls was loud, but the gravity of the situation made Tywin somehow focus his hearing on Maerys. He could hear the man's cane make a soft thud when it touched the ground. In less than a half-hour, Tywin's entire conception of his relationship with Maerys had shattered.

Maerys was an incredibly talented spymaster, but Tywin wondered who else noticed Tywin's discontent and anger over Otherys. Was he obvious? Or was the context of the situation something even an uneducated peasant could put together? If his attitude was common knowledge, Tywin feared what measures Otherys would be taking. He had felt unsafe in King's Landing, but now Tywin felt unsafe just being alive at all.

There was something about Maerys that intrigued Tywin. The man was playing both sides, wanting to support his house but still making sure Tywin was informed of the situation. His talent for gathering information was frightening and Tywin made a note to be more careful of spies in the future. In a way, Maerys' final request was not a case for Tywin's loyalty, but a warning that Maerys would stand in his way even if the two were allies in the past.

Passages from books that Tywin had read came to him. These passages in particular detailed the incredible reign of many Targaryen monarchs. There were good ones and bad ones; Otherys obviously being lumped in with the bad. But there were good Targaryens too, as scary as Maerys was, Tywin considered him a good man. As Maerys disappeared from view, Tywin realized something about House Targaryen that made his desires of retribution difficult to pursue. He respected them.

For the good of the realm, his father's voice nagged again.

I know I say every now and then much much I like how you describe the education events during childhood, and I feel it is time to do so again. Very deftly handled.

I also like the increasingly repeated rerain "For the good of the realm" - it is like an insistent tapping of a hammer, or a beating of a drum.

Reyna has crushed the rebellion, good job.

I really like the parallelism between Maerys and Tywin. They both want the good of their family and the realm, and while they both know Otherys is not a man one can follow, they still stand by his side "for the good of the realm".

And yet, Tywin may have eventually to turn his back to this and start a war to end Otherys reign, as bloody as it may be.

Out of curiosity, I remember you posted a Sheeran family tree ages ago, back when, I think, Albin was still alive, but I wonder what it looks like now.

I had to stop writing at one point and leave the first scene in progress by turning off my computer after saving the writing. Because of that, something must've messed up as the first scene's font isn't as it isn't as bright as the other two scenes in the preview. It isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it kinda bothers me.
Chapter 162: Bloom

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

Tywin sat across from a man that he called an enemy years ago. Lord Paramount Allar Wyl of The Riverlands had risen up alongside Raymund Waynwood during the last rebellion and was soundly defeated by Tywin. Remarkably, he lived to tell the tale, but at the cost of someone he held close to him much like Raymund lost his wife Dyanna. Tywin did not exactly feel the most comfortable working with someone like Wyl, a Dornishman who probably had a role to play in the death of Jacaerys Targaryen. But the times called for old rivalries to be thrown away and new alliances to be formed.

GJN9Tqu.png

He was a decade or so older than Tywin and did not seem to take care of his appearance. His hair was a chaotic mess of gold that expanded down to a beard that was not trimmed. The man's face was rough and covered in minuscule specs of different shades that disturbed the unity of his skin. Allar had been called "The Elegant" by his people, but it seemed to be an ironic moniker much like how an old man would be called young.

Tywin had invited the man to the capital to unofficially take over the duties of Justiciar which had been assigned to him by Otherys. Allar had managed to completely rebuild his realm after the rebellion, preventing anarchy from taking over in the wake of his crushing defeat by the hands of Tywin. Tywin believed in a man's merits and talents, so even if he disliked the notion of working with a former enemy, he needed Allar at his side.

The Wyls had set themselves up in a manor nearby the Sheeran manor in the capital. It was not as big since Allar's presence in King's Landing was not official. Still, it would be a suitable place for the man and some of his family to set up and be close to House Sheeran. Tywin was here on Allar's request, apparently wanting to meet with Tywin after settling themselves down.

7u4ZgPJ.png

"I was actually worried you weren't going to come," Allar said as he poured wine into his cup.
"I was the one that invited you," Tywin replied, leaving his cup empty.
"You wanted me to help you with your work, that doesn't mean you have to be my friend."
"Friends?"

Allar smiled and sipped his wine.

"I think our two houses may have gotten off on the wrong foot, don't you agree?"
"Considering your house has taken part in undermining the realm and even rising up in rebellion against the crown, I think our relationship is where it belongs; but that can be subject to change."

Allar chucked as he sloshed the wine in his cup.

"I knew I made the right choice inviting you over today."
"Well, what did you wish to discuss with me?"
"Nothing about work as two good friends should be able to just chat about their lives."
"Good friends? You have a strange notion of friendship considering the last time we were even in close proximity was on a battlefield."
"I'll admit, you gave my army quite a thrashing. Many of my commanders and vassals were lost that day."

Tywin sighed and wrapped his finger around his cup, still leaving it empty.

"I thought we were here to chat."
"Why so hostile, Tywin? I'm trying to make things work here."

Tywin paused.

"I'm sorry, I just- I just have a lot on my mind these days."
"Like your wife? A shame what happened."

Bastard! Who the hell does he think he is! Tywin thought while refraining from showing any anger.

"Does everyone in this damn kingdom know about that?"
"I'm afraid so; even the people in the Inns I travelled to spoke of it."

Tywin poured himself some wine, wanting to cloud his mind. It was bad enough to think about Arwyn, but now he had to contend with the fact that everyone else knew about what happened. He chugged the entire cup down and sighed after drinking it.

"I need my wife back..."

Allar closed his eyes and nodded.

"I would assume that something so horrific would have quite an effect on her."
"What do you know?"
"Not a lot, only from what I've heard, Tywin. But I know it takes time for things to go back to the way they were."
"Have you ever had someone go through something like this?"

Allar frowned and shook his head.

"I'm afraid not."
"Aren't the Dornish known for being great lovers? What can you tell me of rekindling the love that's still there somewhere?"
"Dornishmen do not rape. Besides, I was born and raised in Seagard. I am only Dornish in name."

Tywin poured more wine and chugged it down in frustration. The effect of the wine had still yet come, he still felt in control, still conscious of what he was thinking and seeing.

"I've gotten her to play with the children. She's smiled a lot more often now, but I still feel like I'm losing her, Allar. Sometimes, she's scared when I do things as little as holding her hand."
"She's frightened of course. Tell me, when she's scared of you holding her hand, were you suddenly taking hold of her?"

Tywin thought about it. Allar was right, he had either tried to surprise his wife with his touch or suddenly took hold during conversation. To Tywin, these were loving gestures, but to Arwyn, they were potential threats, a second coming of something so horrible.

"Gods, you're right."
"She's scared, Tywin. She's scared it's going to happen again and for a second when something touches her, she believes it's coming again."
"How can I make her the beautiful flower she once was if I can't even touch her?"

Allar finished the wine in his cup.

"You can still touch her, but you'll need to be careful. Find a moment where you can be alone and face to face with her. Let it be somewhere quiet and peaceful and make sure she feels safe with you; I'd say the bed is the best place to do this. Don't do something drastic like kissing her or holding her. Let her reacquaint herself with your touch, let her know that unlike Otherys, you intend to protect her.

"Start with something as simple as hovering your hands over her skin, barely touching but just enough to let her know that you are touching her. Gently touch her with a finger or two, be gradual with her. At some point, let her touch you, you want her to know that touch does not mean danger and showing that nothing bad coming from her own touching can help her understand that."

Tywin was speechless. He could feel his mouth struggling to force itself wide open as Tywin tried his best to remember everything the man said.

"Do you really think that will work?"

Allar nodded.

"It could take a single night, it could take years. It mostly depends on how strong of a relationship you share."

Tywin nodded. I love Arwyn and she loves me. This will not take years, I will get my wife back quick, he thought.

"Just how do you know so much about this?"

Allar sighed.

"I've had to deal with plenty of rapes in my lands, mostly during the initial chaos following your crushing of me. I may not have dealt with the victims personally, but I've seen enough that I can see the patterns. From those patterns, I thought about what needed to be done."
"If this works, I'll forever be in your debt."

Allar let out a light laugh.

"Careful, Tywin, with your debt, I could conquer whole kingdoms."
"Arwyn is worth that. Besides, you're not foolish enough to anger a man like Otherys."
"If I had a man like you at my side, I'd take the chance."

Tywin laughed and raised his cup after pouring more wine.

"I'll drink to that."

Allar and Tywin tapped cups and drank in unison. When Tywin set his cup down, he adopted an expression of determination and stared at his hand. Arwyn needed to be free from the despair that reigned over her. Her fear was infectious just as her smile and happiness during the years of her youth. Tywin wanted that happiness back, no, he needed that happiness back. As the day went on, Tywin felt much anxiety about how he would try to get Arwyn back to her old self. However, that anxiety was not as bad with someone like Allar at his side. While they were enemies before, Allar may have just been the key to saving Arwyn from the metaphorical chains that kept her down. For that, Tywin was most grateful.

yy5K2uP.png

Oakenshield

Jonah Sheeran

It had been two years since Jonah's mother had brought the Tarly woman to Oakenshield. As Jonah waited alongside his mother for today's event, he scratched the left side of his face, the side that still displayed the remains of his Greyscale. It was not itchy or irritating, it was mostly a bad habit he picked up much like how one would bite their nails. Still, it made him stand out among the other children, especially since the only siblings he had were sisters. While most of the people had gotten used to the sight of him, some still gave him a wide berth or whispered about him; a reminder of what Jonah was. Not normal.

He felt a twitch in his fingers. Not again, where is it? Jonah thought as he dug around his robes. In the right pocket of his robes was the vial of Milk of the Poppy. These sensations, these almost ritualistic symptoms were the result of an addiction. Jonah had been given much of the stuff during his treatment for Greyscale when he was still a baby, too much in fact. With that, Jonah was at the mercy of this small vial of liquid.

He popped of the topper off of the vial and downed only a small bit of the Milk of the Poppy lest he want to collapse into a deep sleep in public. Frankly, he did not enjoy the taste and only liked how cold it was, feeling the cold spiralling down his throat and into his stomach. The trembling in his hands did not stop, but Jonah had faith the symptoms would go away just like they always did. He looked up at his mother who was staring down at him, shaking her head and sighing.

"Must you do that in front of everyone?" Jonah's mother asked.
"It stops the shaking," Jonah answered.
"You've already made yourself stand out with that face of yours, now you have to satisfy that addiction of yours in public."
"Would you like me to collapse and shake in front of everyone?"

Jonah's mother shook her head.

"You've never gone far enough to know what's going to happen."
"Would you like me to find out now?"

The woman looked away from Jonah. They were standing in the courtyard of Oakenshield where a table and platform were prepared. Around these constructions was a crowd that featured nobles, soldiers, and even a few of the smallfolk. The people of the crowd spoke quietly to each other. Jonah did not know what was going on today, but he could tell the people were aware of what was going to happen.

"What's going on?" Jonah asked.

His mother smiled.

"Justice."

As if on cue, a woman screaming could be heard outside the walls of the castle. Everyone looked in the direction of the screaming but could not see anything due to the wall obstructing the view. The screaming went on for a bit which made many of the crowd uncomfortable. Jonah, however, did not squirm, not even trembling as the Milk of the Poppy saved him once again. Enjoy the screaming, a raspy voice in his head said.

That voice was one that had come along with the Milk of the Poppy, kind of like a deliveryman who stayed behind. Jonah really had no idea why the voice was so coarse, it did however make things much more mysterious. He had granted a name to the voice: Castellan, after Castellan Alekyne who had a similar voice due to his advanced age. Castellan was kind of like a brother, always around to get a word in on all the things Jonah did or witnessed. Those screams, whoever is screaming deserved their suffering, Castellan said.

The portcullis of the castle opened and the screaming reach its peak. Soon, two riders charged into the courtyard. They were dragging a wooden frame that had the screaming woman strapped on. A thin trail of blood was left behind by the woman as her skin was burned and dragged along the stones of the courtyard.

When the riders finally got to stop, Jonah got a good look at the woman being dragged through the burned flesh and blood that covered her face. She was of similar age to his mother but had much longer hair. Other than those details, it was hard to tell the other features of the woman's face. It was only through the context of the situation that Jonah was able to figure out that this was Victaria Tarly, the prisoner his mother had brought back two years ago. If only that were your mother, Castellan said, prompting Jonah to look up at his mother who was smiling at the sight of the woman being dragged.

"Are you going to kill her?" Jonah asked.
"Not yet, my sweet," his mother answered.

Jonah noticed that his sisters were absent, even Alekyne was not around. She's going to kill her, that's why your sisters aren't here, Castellan explained. He nodded at the explanation; marvelling at how intelligent Castellan seemed to be.

Jonah's mother stepped forward and waited as the two riders dismounted and unfastened Victaria from the wooden frame. Two other men wearing hoods that covered their entire face stepped forward as the riders mounted their horses and took away the frame. They lifted Victaria to her feet as she cried and let the blood all over drip to the ground.

"Get on with it," Jonah's mother commanded.

The two men took Victaria to a platform where a noose was erected. Hanging her after dragging her on the ground for hours? That is deliciously cruel, Castellan said.

Victaria was placed on the centre of the platform while Jonah's mother personally wrapped the noose around Victaria's neck. She was smiling the entire time, even whispering something to Victaria that was lost in the distance and crowd's chattering.

"Victaria Tarly, you have committed great crimes against House Sheeran and shall be punished accordingly. Let it be known what happens to all those that stand against House Sheeran!" Jonah's mother declared.

She did not hesitate to kick down on the platform which opened the trapdoor underneath Victaria's feet. The crowd went silent as Victaria struggled as she swayed in the embrace of the hangman's noose. Jonah could hear her struggle to breath and watched her legs flail around. Don't let her die, don't let her die; she must suffer, Castellan said.

As if on cue, one of the men with a black hood drew a knife and cut Victaria loose. She fell to the floor and immediately grasped at her throat while blood continued running down her face. The two black hoods did not wait for Victaria to recover and violently escorted her to the table. Jonah wondered what the table was for and immediately got his answer as two more black hoods joined the executioners. One brought rope while the other was wielding a giant axe.

The three without the axe tied Victaria to the table while the man with the axe made a few practice swings. After securing Victaria to the table, the men waited for Jonah's mother to walk down from the platform to the table. There was still silence from the crowd, still in shock at what was happening and perhaps a little bit of waiting for the woman to speak up.

"Any last words?" Jonah's mother asked.
"House Tarly will have their revenge!" Victaria declared, finally speaking up for herself.
"Such a waste."

The headsman's axe came down immediately without an order. Because of the silence, Jonah could hear the axe tearing through the flesh with ease. He could then also hear the echo of the steel's song, the one it sang as it cut through the air. The blood gushing and head disconnecting with the body made Jonah cringe, but he could feel Castellan did not feel the same way. Too quick! Castellan whined.

Victaria's head fell off the table and rolled along the cobblestones of the courtyard. One of the hoods went to collect it while the one with the axe made more practice swings. The execution would not end with a beheading, Jonah's mother was intending to draw this out. Jonah could see the headsman aim carefully, making a sort of X pattern with his blade.

His mother was going to quarter Victaria's body. Jonah was already uncomfortable at the sight of Victaria's corpse, he felt even worse about watching it get mutilated. He could his mother smile, she had recoiled at the execution, sure, but she seemed to be enjoying this. Jonah wanted to look away, but something compelled him to keep his head facing the corpse. Watch, Castellan demanded.

Jonah tried to look away.

Watch.

Jonah felt a shake in his head. It could not be the effects of his addiction as he had drank Milk of the Poppy too recently.

Watch...

Jonah's resistence failed as the headsman began chopping Victaria's corpse into four even pieces, staying true to the name of quartering. Just like with the head, he cringed at the sound of rending flesh. No matter how much he wanted to, he could not turn his head to avoid watching this brutality. Watch, Castellan ordered.

lB5cnhn.png

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

Tywin wasted no time. He put Allar's suggestions to the test and tried to make Arwyn feel safe again. They had always shared a bed, but it was only for the past few weeks that things were changing. Arwyn was gradually becoming more comfortable with Tywin's touch, even letting him hold parts that Tywin thought were untouchable like her thighs and neck.

Both of them were in their nightwear, thin pieces of fabric that were practically not even there. Tywin and Arwyn laid on the bed, facing each other while resting on their sides. They looked into each other's eyes, Tywin could feel his heart struggle to burst from his chest just looking at the portals into Arwyn's soul. He dug as deep as he could, trying to find the wife that Arwyn once was.

Tywin had not touched Arwyn yet tonight, he always wanted to ease her by waiting for some sort of signal that notified Tywin of his allowance in touching her. Although, he was quite content just staring at Arwyn, the beautiful flower had yet to return, but more and more of that beauty had been breaking for freedom as the weeks went by.

"I will always be here," Tywin said.
"Will you? What if there's another war? What if he sends you away?" Arwyn asked.

Tywin frowned. Arwyn never referred to Otherys by name, only by "he" which was a sign of the fear that man instilled in her. In response, Tywin adopted a stern expression.

"If he commands me to leave you, I wouldn't go. Even if I must, I would take you and the children with me."
"You would betray him?"

Tywin nodded.

"That man does not deserve my obedience. But you do."
"Your father once told me that I had to push you toward serving the realm. Would betraying him really help you serve the realm."

Tywin frowned and rolled to lay on his back. He stared at the ceiling and wondered why his father would speak with Arwyn about this.

"I have trouble understanding what that really means."

Tywin felt a few fingers touch his chest. It was not a full hand, but Tywin did not expect Arwyn to want to engage in anything more. The touch made Tywin's heart beat even faster which was something he did not think was possible.

"I don't know either, but I want to help you figure out what that means."

Arwyn's touch was the signal. It was most likely an unconscious decision, but Tywin took note that Arwyn was not as afraid of touch when she initiated it first, just like Allar said. Tywin rolled back to his side to face Arwyn and scooted closer to her. After that, he cautiously brought his hand to Arwyn's shoulder. He could feel a bit of skin on the finger that touched her neck. It was so soft and that sensation was something Tywin had missed greatly.

Out of greed, Tywin rolled his hand down Arwyn's arm and eventually reached where her nightgown ended. He felt her forearm and took in skin that was even softer than her neck. While he had held her hand before, there was something in her acceptance that made things so much better. Tywin could not help himself, his greed once again took over him and he graduated from caressing her arm to touching her thigh.

Again, he rolled his hand down, this time along her leg. Arwyn smiled and exhaled softly. This is it, she's coming back to me, Tywin thought with glee. Keeping up the momentum, Tywin used his other hand to cover Arwyn's cheek. He felt a warmness and noticed her blush even in the dim candlelight of the room.

Tywin contemplated kissing her. Allar had warned not to do anything drastic, but his urges were seizing control all over. He moved the hand covering Arwyn's cheek down to her chin and cupped it, letting his index finger feel yet another vein of soft skin in an endless mine of it. If he was going to kiss her, he was certainly in position. But before he could go ahead with it, Arwyn suddenly brought up her hands and held onto Tywin's cheeks before pulling him in.

He did not resist and closed his eyes. The feeling of Arwyn's soft skin still remained while all he could see was black from his closed eyes. But the blackness only amplified the sensations, the passion. There was a wetness where his mouth was, his lips locking with Arwyn's. Arwyn's breath could be felt with how close she was, a mixture of exhaling from her mouth and nostrils between every bout of the kiss. The two pulled away at the same time, perfectly in sync to show how much they understood each other.

"I love you, Tywin," Arwyn said.

It was the first time she said that in a long time. The three words and a name were possibly the most significant thing to ever be said to Tywin, quite a bold statement considering his place in Westeros' politics. In that moment, Arwyn had finally come back. After years of struggling and finally weeks of caution, Tywin was ready to be truly happy again.

"I love you, Arwyn," Tywin said. "I will always protect you, no matter what."

Arwyn frowned.

"I know you can't. But... I still love you, I will be strong for you, for the children."

Tywin responded with a frown of his own.

"I will protect you, Arwyn."
"You're one man. He is many. Can you stand against a whole kingdom?"

Tywin shook his head.

"It's not about if I can. It's about whether not I will. Try or fail, I will protect you and the children, even if it costs me my life."

Arwyn wrapped an arm around Tywin's back.

"I don't want you to die, Tywin."
"I won't."
"He will come back."
"I will never leave King's Landing again, not unless you are back safely in Casterly Rock. To the Seven Hells with him, I promised to protect you, I shall keep that promise."
"Thank you..."

Arwyn pulled the hand behind Tywin's back to pull him in for another kiss. This one was more drawn out than the first. Tywin felt Arwyn's fingernails slowly penetrate his nightwear, piercing even more as the kiss continued on. Soon, Arwyn was doing things she had never done after the incident involving Otherys. It culminated to the greatest amount of passion Tywin had felt in years, maybe even decades before Otherys had even become the King. After so long, the beautiful flower that was Arwyn finally bloomed.

And in the months to come, that passion would lead to a pregnancy, a pregnancy crafted through love rather than force.

z8cWPnq.png

I know I say every now and then much much I like how you describe the education events during childhood, and I feel it is time to do so again. Very deftly handled.

I also like the increasingly repeated rerain "For the good of the realm" - it is like an insistent tapping of a hammer, or a beating of a drum.

Thanks for the praise! Tywin has plenty of children so there's going to be more where that came from.

Reyna has crushed the rebellion, good job.

I really like the parallelism between Maerys and Tywin. They both want the good of their family and the realm, and while they both know Otherys is not a man one can follow, they still stand by his side "for the good of the realm".

And yet, Tywin may have eventually to turn his back to this and start a war to end Otherys reign, as bloody as it may be.

Out of curiosity, I remember you posted a Sheeran family tree ages ago, back when, I think, Albin was still alive, but I wonder what it looks like now.

I'll see if I can get another family tree made. I think it'll be surprising how many Sheerans there are that aren't even mentioned in the story; I think they might even outnumber the Sheerans that have been mentioned at this point.

Well that is an interesting friendship with Tywin, and yet further pressure - I can't imagine it will be long before we reach some sort of breaking point. I wonder if Otherys knows

Reyna has displays a harshness.

I'll see if I can get another family tree made. I think it'll be surprising how many Sheerans there are that aren't even mentioned in the story; I think they might even outnumber the Sheerans that have been mentioned at this point.

Thank you, I'm very interested, especially in whatever happened to the Riverspring branch. Even more interested now that I know there are a lot of unmentioned Sheeran.

Chapter 163: Betrayals

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

The supply depot was looking good. Tywin stood in the middle of a house that had been requisitioned for his purposes in planning the defences of King's Landing. Requisitioned may not have been the best word, Tywin simply waited for someone to be evicted or move away before swooping to make the vacant houses part of the city's defence.

The furniture had all been removed, replaced by hundreds of crates and barrels filled with useful tools for the garrison. Arrows, rations, and spare weapons organized neatly by the crews working in these depots would be ready to be handed out to any sections of the walls that needed them quickly. Tywin nodded at the men who kept their station organized and stepped outside.

Immediately outside the house was a small fenced off pen where two horses were kept. People awkwardly stepped around the pen that protruded out into the street. Tywin did not care, the streets would be empty if a siege were to ever happen. Beside the pen was a cart that the horses would drag supplies to the front. There were only five of these stations to cover the massive city so far, Tywin wished to change that and make sure everyone followed this template for maximum efficiency.

Tywin proudly sighed and rested his hands to his hips. These reforms would save the city and make sure Otherys felt safe, and if Otherys felt safe, Tywin's family would be safe. He looked down the street and spotted a carriage rolling toward him. The carriage stopped right in front of Tywin and a familiar figure walked out.

Allar Wyl was not a difficult man to pick out from a crowd. His hair was somehow even messier than the smallfolk and poor citizens while his skin still looked to have been afflicted by a hundred different diseases despite how healthy he was. Tywin did not exactly enjoy seeing Allar, not because he disliked him, but because of how obvious and in the open this was. While Tywin had invited Allar to the capital, he did not exactly inform Otherys of the arrangement. Still, he owed the man a great deal as it was through his advice that had made Arwyn beautiful again.

"Good morning, Tywin," Allar greeted with a smile.
"Allar, what are you doing out here?" Tywin asked, stealing glances at both ends of the street to check for a threat Tywin did not exactly know was coming or not.

Allar turned away from Tywin to look at the supply depot.

"Impressive, Tywin. Instead of stretching the supplies along the walls or hiding them in the keep, everyone will get quick access to supplies."
"Allar, you need to get back to your manor."
"Before Otherys spots me? Let him see me."
"I don't know if I can protect you, I don't even know if I can protect myself if Otherys knows a rebel, a Dornishman as well, mind you, is in the capital."

Allar turned back to Tywin and smiled.

"Why don't we take a ride in my carriage?"
"We'll be seen together."

Allar shrugged.

"I'll keep the shade closed."

Tywin opened his mouth to speak, but he hesitated. The logic was so simple that Tywin could not think of a way to argue against it. He nodded and walked past Allar.

"Alright."

Tywin's guards moved to be behind the carriage and Tywin stepped into it after an attendant opened the door for him. He settled himself into the seat that put his back to the driver while Allar came in and took the other seat. The man smiled and leaned forward so he could tap on the wall between Tywin and the driver. After Allar leaned back down, the carriage began to move.

"Tywin, I think we've gotten to know each other quite well this last year."

Tywin nodded.

"I owe you a lot, I was actually starting to think Arwyn would never be back to her old self without your help. Because of you, our son Lymond will become the symbol that reestablished our love for each other."

57RWta4.png

Allar suddenly adopted a stern expression which immediately filled Tywin with concern.

"Then maybe it's time for you to help me."

Tywin slightly sunk into his seat, planting both hands on the walls on either side of him.

"Help you with what?"
"Tywin, just seeing the exterior of that depot has shown me that you're one of, if not the greatest military mind in all of the Seven Kingdoms. If the realm is to truly prosper, good men must be in charge of it. What has Otherys done other than kill? He did not restore like Danerys, he did not bring peace like Allyria, and he did not maintain like Jacaerys. The Iron Throne and Small Council need good men, not... this."

lb5NFwv.png

Tywin was feeling worried where this was going. He was silent, thinking of a response while the sounds of people living their lives were just outside, ignorant of a conversation that had massive implications on the entire land.

"Well, I think you're a good man too. Every task I delegated to you was immediately dealt with and crime has been lowered across the city. You even made a considerable dent in Fleabottom, even if the crime there is still out of control."

CF2HEN8.png

Allar shook his head.

"I didn't come here to trade compliments."

Tywin frowned.

"Then what did you come here to do?"
"A war is coming, Tywin. A great war."
"So I've heard."

Allar crossed his arms.

"It's not a rumour, Tywin."
"I know it's coming; that's why I've made all these preparations."
"It's coming a lot sooner than you think."
"How do you know?"
"Because I'm part of the conspiracy."

Tywin was surprised, but not as surprised as he thought he would be. It was mostly through context and previous warnings from Maerys that made Tywin take in this information a lot easier than he would have otherwise. Still, the man who he called friend was planning alongside others to topple Otherys, telling Tywin this in the heart of House Targaryen's power.

"Are you mad? If Otherys found out, you'd be hanged, drawn, and quartered. And knowing Otherys, that will only be the prelude to the rest of the execution."

Allar laughed and looked to the side. He opened the shade and smiled.

"That response is exactly why I'm able to tell you this. I trust you, you're a man of honour."
"You were a fool to trust me."
"Am I?"
"Yes, you need to leave King's Landing now."

Allar sighed and nodded.

"I do intend to leave King's Landing soon. But before I go, I need to know, can we count on your support?"

Tywin paused to think. Chaos was a ladder and now it was looking like a good chance to climb. But Arwyn and the children were still in the city and Otherys needed to think he had control over Tywin so the man would at least listen to Tywin. The two had had difficulties, but Westeros was not a kingdom of ashes because of Tywin's minuscule influence. However, with a successful revolt, Otherys would be out of the picture.

"I'm not sure..."

Allar frowned.

"Not sure? After all the things you've witnessed and experienced, you still want to serve him? Otherys raped your wife for goodness sake!"
"And he will do it again if I betray him! My family are being held hostage, they are one of the few things that mean anything to me anymore."
"Tywin, think with your head. You're not going to win the war that's coming. Otherys shall fall."

Tywin shook his head.

"Win or lose, I must protect my family."
"You're really going to give Otherys a second chance after what he did to your wife?"
"I'm not giving him anything. I also won't give him a reason to execute my entire family. I will die on the battlefield if it means Arwyn and my sons are spared."

Allar looked down at the floor of the carriage and sighed.

"Tywin, we need you. You will be isolated. Otherys is growing weaker each passing day."
"Isolated? The King rules through fear, he will be able to muster scared and indecisive vassals. If anything, he could be growing stronger."
"Don't be so sure of yourself, Tywin."

Tywin grunted.

"Is that all you wished to talk with me about?"

Allar frowned and nodded.

"I'm afraid so."
"Then please stop the carriage."
"Tywin, this may be the last time we talk to each other in a while."
"If that's the case, I'm thankful for the times we've shared, as short as they've been. I will always owe you for helping me with Arwyn, but I will not put my family over anyone else."
"The next time we see each other will be on a battlefield."

Tywin nodded.

"So be it."

Allar sighed and leaned forward to tap the carriage wall. The carriage came to a halt and Tywin opened the door without saying a word. He turned around and looked into Allar's eyes through the open window of the carriage door.

"You'll make the right choice one day, my friend."

With that, Allar tapped the carriage wall again which made the driver go forward. But not today, Tywin thought. He had wanted to believe the coming war was far off and that he would have enough time to prepare. But with Allar's proposal and his immediate departure from the capital, the wheels were in motion for the great war that Maerys had warned about. For the good of the realm, Tywin's father's voice nagged. This time, the tone seemed to be of disappointment rather than simply stating.

AeeoOEy.png

Tywin looked around at where he exited. It was a nicer and wider street filled with higher class people instead of labourers and the poorer folk. He looked to his guards and saw them all standing in two columns, they immediately formed a new formation around Tywin after Allar's carriage had left everyone's line of sight.

Someone wearing Targaryen heraldry was rushing down the street and toward Tywin. He weaved through the citizens and Tywin's guards viewed with him suspicion even if the man wore the sigil of the King. The man stopped right in front of Tywin's cordon of guards and bowed his head.

"Lord Tywin! You're needed at The Red Keep immediately!" the man called.
"What is it?" Tywin asked.
"Prince Maerys has died!"

Tywin did not even wait for the man to explain anymore before he started running in the direction of The Red Keep.

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

Otherys paced back and forth in the throne room. He had a finger over his chin and grunted between every step. Everyone in the throne room watched, waiting for the King to speak. While everyone should have been worrying about Maerys Targaryen's death, something else seemed to be troubling Otherys. Tywin wondered what would have stolen the King's attention from the death of his uncle and pillar of his whole reign.

He stole a glance at some of the Kingsguard every time his view of Otherys moved over to them. Some of them were standing completely straight and stared forward, much like they were supposed to. Some of the other Kingsguard, however, deviated from this protocol. One in particular was acting much more strangely than the others, Ser Josua flowers. He stared around at the entire throne room, scanning the courtiers. While he may just been looking for threats, Tywin had a bad feeling about this Kingsguard.

"Tywin," Otherys called after he stopped pacing.

Tywin stepped forward and bent the knee.

"Your Grace," Tywin said.
"How goes your preparations for war?"
"War? Well, I've made a few changes to how the city's defence will be organized in order to make sure we're ready should the fighting come to King's Landing."

Otherys smiled and nodded.

"Good, I was right to count on you. While you've been preparing the city, I've been preparing the entire kingdom."

Tywin was suspicious of what Otherys had done to make sure the entire kingdom was ready. Otherys was not exactly the soundest of minds when it came to planning and he often did not delegate tasks to the right people.

"I thank you for your praise, Your Grace. But may I ask, what have you done?"

Otherys stood up straight and nodded.

"I sent Benerro to organize relief for Westeros from Myr."
"Myr? What have you given them in exchange and when did you send Benerro on that mission?"
"He left yesterday, but the mission has been going on for a few months now."
"Your Grace, what is Myr receiving in exchange for this? I'd also like to know why I wasn't informed of this as Chief General of your armies."

Otherys scowled at Tywin.

"I don't like your attitude, Tywin. We should have received word from Myr some time ago about whether or not they'd accept my offer of independence in exchange for good relations and support."

Ys1redC.png

Tywin almost opened his mouth wide open in shock.

"Your Grace! Losing Myr would be a significant blow to our strength! And there's no guarantee whether or not they won't just throw off any ties with us in favour of themselves."

Otherys shook his head and sighed.

"Tywin, Tywin, Tywin. Everyone praises you, but you're so hopelessly naive, especially considering your choice of friends."

Tywin was again in shock. It was not until today that Allar had made a great display by strolling the city in a carriage. How could Otherys have known so quickly, especially considering his greatest intelligence asset was on his deathbed hours ago. There was still some hope, maybe Otherys was referring to someone else.

"Your Grace, that was not the right course of action."
"Tywin, are you questioning me?"
"Your Grace, I just want to serve the realm."

Otherys began strolling toward Tywin. His scowl intensified and his arms swayed angrily instead of resting to his sides.

"Serving the realm by colluding with known rebels?"

Tywin's fears of Otherys being aware of Allar were immediately confirmed. He could not exactly deny the collusion, even if Tywin had refused Allar's proposal.

"Your Grace, I did not collude with Allar."
"Yes, I know, because you're a man of honour. Do you consider Allar a good man, a friend?"

Tywin reluctantly nodded.

"Yes, Your Grace."
"That's what I like about you, Tywin. You're so honest. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Allar. Think about it, he graciously accepts your invitation and gets close to you. From there, he gets to live in our city and scout our defences, our political climate. Allar used you, all he wanted was to get information."

Tywin slowly shook his head and gritted his teeth. No, Allar's a good man. He wouldn't have used me. Why would he help me with Arwyn if he was just using me? he thought. But Otherys was not exactly a manipulator, he was a power-hungry lunatic that saw only red. How could Otherys have come to that conclusion on his own?

"I..."

Otherys frowned and walked right up to Tywin. He placed a hand on Tywin's shoulder and patted it. Tywin cringed, refraining himself from recoiling and offending Otherys. For a second, Tywin may have just gotten a glimpse of how Arwyn felt, although, Arwyn's ordeal was a million times worse than a simple tap on the shoulder.

"It's alright, Tywin. Men of honour like you and I are always manipulated by traitors and scum. I forgive you, all I ask is that you serve me faithfully as you've always done."

ueKs9pj.png

Tywin swallowed a lump in his throat and sheepishly nodded.

"Yes, Your Grace."
"A shame we couldn't capture Allar and kept him here as a hostage, if only I had known of the man's presence sooner."

The great doors of the throne room burst open and a messenger ran through. He was panting loudly and dropped to all fours and rolled with his forward momentum instead of bending the knee. The messenger struggled to stand as the tumble had hurt him. Still, the man rose and bowed his head.

"Your Grace! I bring word from Essos!" the messenger yelled, panting between each syllable.
"Get on with it," Otherys said.
"An army of Myrish troops and sellswords has seized Volantis and is currently invading Lysene territory!"

vTgktsB.png

Otherys clenched his fists and took the messenger by the collar. His eyes emoted anger while his grip crumpled the man's tattered clothing.

"Where is the Hand of the King?"
"Master Benerro has stayed in Myr, he now holds an advisory position in the court of the Archon."

Otherys pulled out his sword and gutted the messenger immediately. The man gasped and barely had time to clutch his wound before Otherys threw him with great strength. The King let out a great roar and threw his bloodied sword to the ground as he walked in an erratic pattern in view of everyone. He stared around at the people watching him. Tywin was quite frightened, Otherys had issues with anger and harming others, but this was a whole new level.

"Traitors! Traitors all around me! Who will betray me next?! Can I even trust my Kingsguard with all of the betrayal that's been happening lately?!" Otherys cried out.

Tywin looked over to the Kingsguard. Most of them did not react, but Ser Josua Flowers, the knight who was acting suspiciously sunk his head down into his shoulders a little, enough for Tywin to notice. Suddenly, Otherys ran back over to Tywin and took him by the forearms. Again, Tywin cringed at the man's touch. Meanwhile, his eyes stared straight into Otherys' some spell forcing Tywin to look no matter how much he did not want to. The eyes of a killer, he thought.

"Tywin, you are the only one I can trust in these dark times. House Sheeran has always stood alongside House Targaryen. I need you," Otherys said.
"I will do what I must to serve the realm," Tywin said, hoping he sounded sincere.

Otherys nodded rapidly and smiled, teeth showing. He ran back to his sword and picked it up before heading to the messenger on the floor. The man was still alive and whimpering as the puddle of blood around him graduated to a miniature lake. Otherys knelt down used a clean area of the man's clothes to wipe his sword clean of the blood.

"I may have lost Maerys, but I still have Tywin! Let it be known that anyone who dares betray me will have to deal with Tywin. He is a man of honour and great competence; he shall be a scourge to traitors all over this land."

Otherys began cackling like a crazed man and sheathed his sword. Tywin never enjoyed Otherys' praise, but his services had been more noticed and praised under Otherys' rule than Jacaerys'. Could Tywin betray a man who in a way cherished him, even if he had raped Arwyn? Two different sides ate at him. The side that wanted nothing more than to protect his family entrenched themselves in Tywin's mind while the side of honour that wanted to serve the realm's interests did the same. While this debate raged on, a third party watched patiently off to the side, doing what it always did best. For the good for the realm.

King's Landing
Genna Sheeran

With Maerys dead, another dragon had become free for Genna's sons to take. Suvion had served Maerys ever since the Prince was just a young boy, now it was time for Suvion to serve another Targaryen. Suvion was a lot bigger than Otherys' dragon so Genna could not afford to keep this advantage open for Otherys even if her son Aemond had tamed Drogon.

Suvion rested in the dragon pit just like Drogon did when Aemond tamed him. Today, Genna had only brought her sons Daeron and Aeryn. They were the only of her sons that did not have a dragon of their own, but they also seemed to be the only ones she could trust. Aemond and Aelyx had been treated kindly by Otherys because of their dragons, calling them "True-blooded Targaryens." Because of this, she was not entirely sure of Aemond and Aelyx's loyalties, considering what she had planned.

Genna coughed and used large pieces of rubble to help her move while Daeron was nearby to catch her if she fell or needed assistance. She was growing weaker. At first, she thought it was her age that was causing this. But, she felt something eating at her from the inside. All of these years since Jacaerys was murdered, she felt a combination of anger and sorrow. When the murder of Otherys was fresh, she was so angry as she watched the throne that her husband had occupied become sullied by a madman. These days, she was still in the mood to plot to elevate one of her sons, but the fires that burned within her were dying, much like she was.

Her hand slipped and she had nothing to keep her up. She fell forward and was caught by Daeron before she could hit the ground hard. Genna coughed and covered her mouth as her bones ached from the abrupt movement.

"Mother, are you alright?" Daeron asked.
"Go," Genna said as she pointed at Suvion, "go tame the dragon."
"Aeryn, you should go first, I will stay with mother."

Aeryn gritted his teeth but then nodded.

"Here I go," Aeryn said.

Aeryn walked forward to Suvion. Unfortunately for Aeryn, Genna's violent coughing had attracted Suvion's attention who was watching Aeryn carefully. The dragon arched his head up and then let out a great hiss which startled everyone, including Genna. Without even trying to get closer, Aeryn fled back to where Genna and Daeron were. Surprisingly, Suvion did not pursue, content with his small victory.

"Suvion must be tamed," Genna said between coughs.
"He's angry, mother," Aeryn said.
"Aeryn, Daeron, I need you to tame this dragon. There are people that are planning things and they will be more than happy to have Targaryens on their side, especially those that have dragons."
"Who are these people?" Daeron asked.
"A war is coming. With my nephew being the only competent supporter of Otherys, his reign will end soon. If you join with these people, you will not only survive, you may just thrive."

Daeron frowned.

"What about Aemond and Aelyx?"

Genna frowned as well.

"Otherys treats them well because they have dragons. Aemond and Aelyx have fallen for his charms, but you two will not."

Daeron and Aeryn both nodded, stern expressions on their face.

"We will fight for the betterment of House Targaryen," Aeryn said.

Genna felt light-headed. She immediately recovered and sighed.

"Good, you are the future of House Targaryen, not Otherys."

The ground began to shake a little. Suvion began walking toward Genna's position which made everyone freeze. Genna tried to stand straight but could not muster the strength, Aeryn tried to help, but it was too late as Suvion's shadow overtook the group. The dragon lowered his head down close to the three and exhaled through his nostrils, letting everyone feel the extremely hot air that blew out.

Daeron stood up and blocked Suvion's view of Genna and Aeryn. He extended his arms out and stood as straight as he could.

"You shall not take them!" Daeron declared loudly.

Suvion hesitated. Genna tried to take the opportunity to flee but slipped out of Aeryn's hold and fell forward, using her hands to break the fall. The impact hurt her entire body, bones shaking while also feeling they were being crushed rather than smashed. She did have the strength to look up at Suvion who still blanketed the ground around her with his massive shadow.

But Suvion did not attack. Daeron continued standing in the way and made noises to get Suvion's attention. Then, the dragon lowered his head and laid it next to Daeron. Gods, he's going to do it, Genna thought, hoping that Daeron would use this chance. Fortunately for her, Daeron immediately stepped forward and ran his fingers along Suvion's scales.

Suvion lowered a wing and Daeron climbed up. He made his way to the dragon's back and settled himself down between the spinal spikes like most dragon riders did. While Daeron did this, Suvion did not resist, laying as still as possible so his new master would not have trouble. Genna's heart was beating quickly, hurting with every pump. She was also rapidly gasping for air, the fear had taken her and she could barely move. But as her symptoms and pains subsided, she watched as Suvion lifted into the sky, with Daeron on his back.

BCTiKbg.png

King's Landing
Tywin Sheeran

"Your Grace!" a messenger yelled as he burst through the throne room's doors.

Tywin watched the man run down the large and empty elongated hall from Otherys' side. He was sitting in a chair beside The Iron Throne, a position and seat given to him after Otherys began to believe that Tywin was the only loyal man in the entire city. Everyone believed Tywin was loyal, but that was not the case. He did not enjoy the realm seeing him as Otherys' dog as he only served out of fear for his family.

Otherys rose up from the throne and stepped forward to speak with the messenger. In front of him were six of the Kingsguard who formed a line in front of the throne. It was strange to consider such a group with suspicion, but Tywin could not exactly place why he thought they were acting strangely. While some of the knights acted odd, it was really the disappearance of Lord Commander Norwin Selmy that reinforced Tywin's theories. Before Otherys could even open his mouth, time seemed to slow down for Tywin.

He heard the rasping of sword being drawn from its sheath.

Tywin quickly looked around and spotted a Kingsguard drawing his weapon. He responded by drawing Jade and standing up just as the Kingsguard turned around and launched an attack. It was Ser Josua Flowers, the knight who was acting so suspicious in recent days.

Tywin threw himself forward and placed Jade in the path of Ser Josua's blade, giving Otherys enough time to draw his own sword. Other Kingsguard drew their weapons and a confusing melee ensued as the men wearing ornate armour and white cloaks were at each other. The guards standing off to the sides and door rushed forward but hesitated, not knowing which Kingsguard were protecting or attacking Otherys.

Ser Petyr Stone kicked the back of a Kingsguard's knee as he rushed for Otherys, confirming his loyalty to Otherys to Tywin. The knocked down Kingsguard immediately rose and engaged Ser Petyr in a fight. Tywin readied his sword and watched for any other knights who would try to rush Otherys while he was busy fighting off Ser Josua.

"Protect the King! Focus on the King!" Tywin yelled.

The guards surrounding the melee still hesitated. Some ran forward to get between Otherys and the Kingsguard, but most of them stayed back. One of the Kingsguard pulled out a dagger and immediately stuck it in the neck of another. As the wounded knight fell to the floor, Tywin recognized him to be Ser Lewyn Manwoody.

The man who had stabbed Ser Lewyn was Ser Jaesin Peckledon, a fellow Westerlander. Tywin watched Ser Jaesin who in turn was watching him. Steel clanged and men grunted while they struggled around the two warriors. Soon, Ser Jaesin began walking forward, moving towards sheathing his blade. Tywin regarded this move with suspicion but Ser Jaesin simply kept walking forward, acting like nothing was wrong.

Once the tip of Ser Jaesin's sword entered his sheath, he suddenly pulled it back out and rushed forward past Tywin. Tywin immediately ran after Ser Jaesin and leaped to tackle the knight to the floor. He ended up dropping Jade and struggled to keep Ser Jaesin down as he reached for his Valyrian Steel sword. Ser Jaesin had also dropped his weapon from the tackle but could not reach further because of Tywin. If Tywin moved too much, Ser Jaesin would be able to push him off and run for his blade. He had to balance it carefully, trying to get Jade without letting his opponent free.

Tywin was suddenly thrown off and Ser Jaesin rose to grab his sword. Time slowed once again. Would Tywin run for Jade and rearm himself? Or would he have to run after Ser Jaesin who was running straight for Otherys. A few guards were running to block Ser Jaesin's path, but Tywin wondered if these men would stand a chance against a fully-armoured Kingsguard.

Tywin took a chance and rushed for Jade. Fortunately, the guards were able to at least stall Ser Jaesin so more of them could rush in. Ser Jaesin had managed to cut down two guards which forced the others to hesitate, but still maintaining a semicircle around him. The Kingsguard was not even watching as Tywin charged forward and raised his sword so the pommel would be high.

Ser Jaesin was too busy with the guards to notice Tywin coming for him and the guards lunged forward with their swords and spears to keep the knight distracted. With a great amount of force that followed a great yell, Tywin expertly brought Jade's pommel right down on Ser Jaesin's helmet, bringing him to the floor immediately.

Dazed, Ser Jaesin squirmed on the floor while the guards immediately surrounded him and stuck their spears and swords into the weak points in his armour. The man screamed a bit before going silent, the guards now mutilating the knight's corpse. With Ser Jaesin down and a cordon of guards blocking anymore Kingsguard from rushing Otherys, Tywin ran toward Otherys who was still fighting Ser Josua.

Some guards surrounded the fight and Tywin was about to rush forward when Otherys caught a glimpse of Tywin when he blocked a sideways swing from Ser Josua.

"Leave me!" Otherys commanded.

Tywin hesitated. Another debate took place in his mind. He had to help Otherys, it was his duty. But, what if Otherys were to fall to Ser Josua? If Otherys was killed by this man, Tywin would be rid of the source of so many woes without having to raise his own sword. He gripped the hilt of his blade tightly as Otherys made a diagonal upwards swing that almost knocked Ser Josua's sword out of his hands.

The side that wanted Otherys to die was beginning to prevail. Tywin lowered his sword, content to let the fate of the entire land be put in the hands of The Warrior. For the good of the realm, his father's voice nagged again. It was not the time and place for the voice, Tywin was ordered by Otherys to stand down and he was beginning to believe that it would be for the best for him and his family if Otherys fell.

Fall.

For the good of the realm.

Fall...

For the good of the realm...

Otherys and Ser Josua swung their weapons for another clash. At first, Tywin thought Otherys would be short of Ser Josua's blade, but Otherys caught the blade with his crossguard and immediately used it as a pivot. With perfect precision, Otherys used the force of Ser Josua's blade against him and made a great cut across the knight's throat.

Ser Josua dropped his sword and grabbed at his throat as blood poured out. Otherys smiled and stepped forward. He took off Ser Josua's helmet and then took a step back. The knight defiantly stared at Otherys as the King prepared a sideways swing. In one quick motion, Ser Josua was brutally thrown to the ground as blood sprinkled into the air and rained down onto the floor of the throne room. Otherys frowned, most likely at the fact that Ser Josua's head did not fly off, disgusting Tywin.

9a1mqvK.png

Tywin cleaned his blade and sheathed his sword as silence took over the throne room. Only two of the six Kingsguard that stood guard had survived the encounter which put Ser Petyr and his companion on edge. There was a disappointment in Tywin that he tried hard to suppress. He wanted Otherys to get himself killed, so he could finally be free. Now, Tywin would still be under the mercy of Otherys as Arwyn and the children were within his reach.

Otherys cleaned his sword and sheathed it as the guards stared around while some took the initiative to carry away the dead Kingsguards knights. He let out a great sigh and stared at the ornate ceiling.

"Where's that damn messenger?!" Otherys asked loudly.

A man appeared from behind one of the great marble pillars down the elongated room. It was the same one that had tried to say something before the Kingsguard attacked.

"I'm here, Your Grace," the messenger answered meekly.
"Well, tell me what you have to say before anymore damn surprises come at me!"
"Your Grace, a rebellion has risen up and intends to overthrow you!"

Otherys looked to Tywin. He nodded and Tywin nodded back, not wanting to anger Otherys right after dealing with the betrayal of his Kingsguard.

"Well, just like with pitiful Raymund, we will deal with the rebellion. Tell me, my good man, who has so foolishly risen up against me?"
"Everyone, Your Grace."

kC7WnbD.png

Wow. When the Kingsguard turns against the King, you know that something is very, very wrong.
On the bright side the kingdom has never been so united before.
I notice that they have at least three dragons, and that the Vale, Stormlands and Dorne have not joined the rebellion. Yet. Which of course means nothing, they could just stays neutral.

So, what's going on in river spring ? Is it still I. Sheeran hands or has their ancestral home slipped out of their hands now ?
I'm pretty sure no news is good news, any war regarding Riverspring or even just the loss of it by natural cause would have been covered.

It has been a long time coming, but this revolt is just the tip of the iceberg.

I liked the way you adapted several of these in-game events to fit the storyline.

Poor Tywin really has to make a choice now.

I'm pretty sure no news is good news, any war regarding Riverspring or even just the loss of it by natural cause would have been covered.

Yeah I just wanna know who'se ruling it and stuff like that, usually when my house rises to Lord paramount or king of the iron throne, I give my ancestral seat to my heir, kinda like the targs did with dragon stone. If I conquer new territory it either goes to a non inheriting son, brother or bastard, preferably a bastard or salt son so they could start their own cadet branch.