• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jasondroth24

Major
52 Badges
Mar 26, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
So I have bought a new laptop and had to totally reinstall Steam and its products -- somewhere along the line every update of the game or expansion pack has caused me grief and I can't tell you how frustrating its been having stories to write that just get started only to be killed off by a failed saved game not rebooting.

So here we are....I make a commitment NOW to say this AAR is here to stay and it will be getting played out for the first time to its fullest and until it reaches end game....the House of Rothwell will only end should the dynasty itself end and the game is over by its own rules.

Chapter One: The Founding of a Dynasty

King Theodan – The Burh of Tintagel, Cornwall, 11th of January 770AD

An ice wind blew in off the sea, the skies above a deep foreboding grey heavy with biting winter rains. Cadwarolli coughed, from deep in his chest, the old grim courtier pulling his fox fur collar tight about his neck. Down below on the beach, gloomy figures hauled their little boats out of the waters.

Smoke rose from the thatched rooves off the huts huddled within the wooden walls of Tintagel, as if seeking sanctuary from the lingering chill of winter. Theodan could sense his councillors tension without even turning to look at him, his eyes fixed on the fishermen below; “You can speak old friend, better to speak your mind now than when I have offended you!”

‘Sire’ he paused, another coughed stifled by his fist, ‘Do not think I am questioning you!’

That usually means you are old timer. He laughed inwardly, the same theme of conversation as had been given for the last month, no doubt on its way.

‘There is still time to reconsider’ Cadwarolli paused a moment, his resolve faltering, ‘this match will do you more harm than good I assure you’ again he stopped trying to gage his Kings mood. ‘The lady is no doubt of noble birth, but you can do better than a mere noble from the continent!’

Theodan’s head turned just ever so slightly, as the wind whipped at his face, ‘We have had this conversation before my friend and I have no wish to disappoint you again.’ Indeed it was the sixth time in as many days.

‘Think on it, that is all I am asking you to do’ the older man had not yet come to realise his time as the Kings council had passed with the death of Theodan’s father. ‘The Kings of Englaland have many fine daughters’ he thought a while longer, ‘Mercia? Wessex? East Anglia even? There are daughters a plenty and they bring not only prestige but security.’ It was a solid argument, Theodan did not dispute it but he had resolved to disagree.

They bring me chains, they bring me commitments to men with more power than I can challenge.

‘If I break the betrothal now, then it looks as if my word means nothing’ pride rose in him, he would not be known as a King who did not keep his word, ‘vows have been exchanged before a proxy and the documentation is ready to be signed.’

‘Documentation!’ the old man scoffed, ‘vows can be remade, the Bishop of Canterbury? Exeter? The Holy Father if need me can rescind them without much harm’ he sounded only mildly hysterical.

‘No!’ Theodan turned, his face cold from the wind and his expression colder from irritation, ‘I will not change my mind, Mari is a fine woman I am told, I will not go back on my word!’

w3dLSI.png

Lady Drilego, Stewardess of Cornwall--- The Burh of Tintagel, 19th January 770AD

“You can not dream off calling that a fair price!” the pitch of her voice was sharp with shock, though in truth the Stewardess had expected it to be higher. She looked about the piles off wood, meant for the new stockade, tapping a thick oak pole, ‘It may as well be rotten for the quality of it.’

The poor merchant looked offended more than anything else, ‘It is not a cheap material my Lady, you asked for the best and I have brought it you’ he paused moving close, directing her to another pile of logs, ‘it costs a fortune to get this much wood across the country in one job lot.’ He pointed to the ox wagons loaded with timber, hoping to persuade her that he had done exactly as asked.

Drilego clucked her teeth in annoyance, turning from him, her boots squelching in the mud, ‘Take it to the store house and get your men to unload it, we can discuss reductions later’ she through over her shoulder as she strode away. The merchant left wincing at the thought of loosing to much off his profits.

Thieves, all of them. I told Theodan it would be cheaper to use birch or ash, oak is a luxury he can’t afford. Does he really think that gold is limitless? Her mind raced ahead of itself, Theodan had had her arrange a series of loans from the Jewish moneylenders in Winchester, but they were not amongst the wealthiest of men and given the Kings standing, they were not convinced that he could give them any security on their golds return. It had taken weeks for her to persuade them that they could make good on the loan.

The money was to be spent on extending the stockade around Tintagel, the sprawl of huts clambering around the outer wall had become something of a weak point that the King was keen to mend. If he would not be seen to be able to properly defend his own hold, how could Theodan rightly be expected to defend the rest of his realm. The other half of the loan was to be invested in Devon, where a new mustering ground was to be dug and housing for more troops raised.

Kicking out her foot, the Stewardess tried to shew away the swarm of chickens that were pecking in the mud around her feet, a huge red hen running underneath one of the market stalls to escape her boot.

CmuMN2.png

Lady Mildrith – The Hunt-Masters House, The Royal Compound, Tintagel, February 770AD

“I would watch that one with the bad hand, slimly looking fellow if ever there was one” Oswalt sat by the fire, picking pieces of hot grease covered meat from the bone, he slipped a small slice to one of the hounds begging at his knee, its mouth swallowing the morsel in one greedy gulp.

Mildrith sat at her battered desk, penning down the name and sum paid to her newest spy for the information he had provided. ‘Slime covered men are cheaper than noblemen my love!’ it was a sad truth, but one she made sure never to forget. She pulled her sleeves down further over her hands, the cold chill of winter, still holding fast.

Her husband rose slightly from his seat, tossing another branch into the fire pit before huddling back into his seat. The dog rose for a second, expectantly waiting to be fed more. “How many names are scribbled down on that parchment I wonder? You have more spies than Theodan has guards!’

9Vq3yv.png

She laughed aloud, letting her business face slip away in the sanctuary of her home, ‘That is because our Lord has more friends than enemies and friends are the danger’ she rolled the piece of parchment up tightly, binding it with a leather chord, ‘Do you not have something better to be doing than sitting here feeding that beast’ she eyed the hound at her husbands feet, she was no fan of dogs and they were no fan of hers either.

‘Alas no my love’ he rose from his chair, his voice light as he came to put his arms upon her shoulders, lust on his lips, ‘the snows deep, bad weather for riding out’ is words thick with suggestion, ‘we could find a sport if you like, one not befitting of a spy but perhaps worthy of the Hunts-mans wife?’

She shrugged his hand off, ‘Be off with you, go drink with your Lord, or take your flea bag for a walk, I have work to do.’

He looked disappointed, almost wounded as he moved away from her, ‘Come on lad’ he clicked his tongue and the hound instantly stood, ‘let’s leave her ladyship to her work’ and with that he strode out the chamber into the next room, off on his rounds, ‘I will check the horses’ he yelled.

Bishop Treveur of Exeter – The Bishops House, Exeter, 28th February 770AD

The Bishop poured for himself another earthen cup of wine, though Exeter was the dominant See of Cornwall it was not overly wealthy, and the Bishop winced slightly at the tart taste. He raised his cup to the young man opposite, his former servant, Bastian, “Will you have another?’

XFFDWq.png

An up raised palm said all it needed, ‘I am fine, thank you my Lord, it is no short ride to Tintagel and I have my things to pack!’

‘Quite yes, quite right’ the Bishop necked his cup and instantly was pouring another, ‘not seemly to meet a King drunk aye?’ he supped again, ‘Quite right!’ Placing the cup down for a moment, the Bishop sifted through the sheets of parchment on his desk, pulling out the document sent by the King confirming the young, Bastian as his Chaplain. He handed it over the table, ‘it was not easy you know, this is a great honour for one so young’ he eyed his former pupil, ‘do not let me down my son! I will have need to call on you in the future!’

VtCNlf.png

‘I am ever your servant Lord’ he offered his hands in submission before taking the document of summons, ‘my eyes and ears are yours if you have need of them.’ To be made Chaplain was a great honour and the young man understood fully after considerable explanation, that this favour was done as much for the Bishops benefit as his own.

Again Treveur necked his wine, whipping the red stain from his lips with the back of his sleeve, ‘Very good, you will do marvellous work for our Lord and Saviour I am sure off it.’

King Theodan – The Chapel of Tintagel, Cornwall, 19th of March 770AD

‘By the power vested in me by Almighty God and in the name of the Holy Mother Church, I know pronounce you man and wife!’ Bastian declared to the two individuals stood before him, his voice carrying down the long wooden chapel to reach even the ears at the very back.

Theodan and his new wife, the Breton noble lady, Mari stood hand in hand smiling at one another. The King lowered his voice to near a whisper, standing close to his new bride, “My hearth and my hold are yours Lady-wife, I have not a great lot to offer you but what I have is yours to command” he sounded gentle as he spoke, she was in a new land, having travelled across the Channel to make the match and he wished her to know she had a friend in him. ‘I have plans, many plans and I hope in time you will share my dream with me!’

She bowed slightly, her bosom falling beneath his gaze and her chest heaving, Theodan’s hands trembled slightly with the thought of the wedding night to come, ‘I thank you Lord-husband with all my heart, I hope we shall be happy wed!’ It was not quiet the answer he had hoped, but it was enough for now.

TeuBYz.png

He gestured down the aisle, through the line of watching courtiers, ‘Shall we go then?’ he nodded for her to taking his outstretched hand, ‘We have a table waiting’ his voice dropped lower still, ‘these dogs expect us to feed them!’ both laughed, the new Queens slightly guarded but honest enough and she nodded consent, taking his arm gently.

Applause rung out and cheers rose as the two stepped off the little wooden platform down from the altar. Pigeons watching in the rafters fluttered at the sudden burst of noise, fleeing for the opening doors.

Mayor Blethuit of Bodmin – The Kings Feast Hall, Tintagel, 19th of March 770AD

A servant stepped forward with a basin and clean rag in hand for the Marshal to clean his greased covered fingers, but he waved the poor boy away, belching loudly. His elbow stuck sharply into the side of the man beside him, the Physician, Primael who was shakily pouring himself another cup of wine from the near empty jug, “Don’t drink it all you bastard, share and share alike” the Marshal trying to wrestle the jug from the doctors hands.

HCWf6k.png

“Get your own” the Physician yanking back the vessel, ‘there is plenty for everyone’ his hands shooing away the grasping, greasy paw of the soldier. The two men were not fond off one another and eyes watched them from across the room, the disapproving glare of Oswalt mab Cadwarolli, the Master of the Hunt and a rare noble born man fixing upon them.

Gk7uCV.png

“A TOAST TO THE KING AND QUEEN!” Blethuit rose with a roar, ‘A TOAST TO THE MAKER OF THE FEAST!’ Wine spilled down his arm and a plate of pastries tipped off the edge of the table for the dogs and slaves to fight over.
Think me any less than you, you swine! I will get a grip of that noble little neck and choke the life out of you!

His eyes locking with the proud, broad frame of Oswalt across the fire, the Master of Hunts wife, Mildrith turned her face from him in disgust, but raised her cup in a half-hearted acknowledgment of the toast. “DRINK, DRINK, TO THE KING, TO THE QUEEN AND TO CORNWALL!” his wine sloshed about further, spilling over the shoulder of the Lady Stewardess sat beside him on the opposite side.

Theodan and his new wife nodded cautiously, accepting with grace the Marshals toast.

Good luck with this latest enterprise - I’ll be having a look. :)

Good and interesting first chapter;)

Nice start and a great way to intro your council. Good luck with this one, sir!

And back to Cornwall - God's own county.

Chapter Two: Seeds of the future

Pope Stephanus – The Vatican, Rome, August 770AD

The Holy Father held the document in his hand, eyeing it with interest, the parchment had been damaged on the journey across Francia but its message was clear, for the time being at least Englaland would be at peace and the church was set to prosper. Stephanus looked up from the page, eyeing the black bearded traveller kneeling before him. The man was dressed in a fine tunic and his cape was tossed across his shoulders, fitted with a brilliant golden brooch.

V5tzgf.png

“My son in Canterbury has done fine service” he paused, ‘you may go back to your Lord and Master and tell him that his Holiness and the Church of Rome is greatly pleased with his work!’ The treaty that had been signed and was now to be placed within the Vatican’s archive, promised peace and everlasting friendship between Northumbria and Mercia.

Stephanus was tired and his health failing, but this document proved that his work so far was finally paying off. Across Europe he had set the Priests and Bishops to sowing unity, the Cardinals whispered in the ears of great Kings, Bishops in the ears of Dukes and Earls, urging them to friendship against the enemy within and those without. The man shuffled forward on his knees, kissing the Holy Fathers outstretched hand on the large ring that bedecked it.

D87e2R.png
StmSnE.png

His Holiness, rose from his seat moving over to the desk that had been brought from his private rooms to the audience chamber, picking up a few letters wrapped tightly together, ‘Will you do me a service and deliver these on your return journey?’ some of these letters were from his Holiness himself to King Offa and various other Anglo-saxon rulers, others were reports and gossip fed back to him from amongst the clergy that could be off use to the churches efforts in Englaland. Out on the extremities of the churches reach the islands of Britannia were not solidly within the churches power, Ireland an------------------------++d its priests were forging their own path in step yet separate from the church, the Kirk of Pictland was for now loyal to Rome beyond any doubt, but the land of the Anglo-saxons and that of the Celtic peoples, those of the islands, Wales and Cornwall were at the edge, tipping between heresy, heathenism, devil-worship and over zealotry.

“It would be my honour Holy Father!” the man shuffled again further, on his knees, taking the bound up collection of papers, ‘I will make my leave in the morning Holiness!’

Placing his hand gently on the messengers head, Stephanus breathed deeply, his mind wandering to high heaven, ‘Go in peace my son and go with the speed of angels about your business!’

The audience was over.

Queen Mari – The Burh of Tintgael, Cornwall, 23rd of August 770AD

Mari sat for a moment, catching her breath, warm winds whipping in off the sea, her rounding belly making walking increasingly hard. Theodan stood opposite her, washing his face in a barrel of water beside one of the little market stalls, his face heavily tanned from helping the labourers on the new walls. He looked incredibly handsome with darkened skin and taught muscle and Mari had to admire him for helping his people with their works.

“You are well my love?” he turned to her, his face shining with water and droplets dripping down his beard, ‘the baby stirs?’ he could see from her expression that it was moving inside her and he moved smoothly to a kneeling position, his hand gently wresting on her tummy with unhidden affection, ‘Our little Prince or Princess must like the warm weather.’

‘It is a pity then they are due when it will be cold’ conceived during the festivities of their wedding, the little child growing in her belly would be born in the cold, dark of winter and not in the fine high summer that now rested over Tintagel. She looked slightly uncomfortable, her cheeks red and her breath mildly laboured.

‘Spring, summer, autumn or winter, they will be welcomed gladly into the world!’ he turned, waving for one of the stall holders to bring a cup of water, ‘drink’ he rose from her belly, looking at the building work. ‘Hopefully the new wall will be ready before winter sets in all being well.’

A commotion and sudden movement of people amid the fish sellers and tool makers made it clear someone was approaching and within moments, the young Stewardess, Drilego was walking toward them. She was but one of the young sprites who held high office in Cornwall despite the complaints of the elders, ‘Lord King, the work looks to be coming along well?’ she stopped noticing Mari, ‘My Queen!’ she bowed slightly, she too was dressed in a simple gown, no finery on display. Cornwall was not wealthy at all compared to the High Courts of the Frankish Kings but the innocent simplicity warmed Mari, even if the notion of being called Queen amused her slightly.

‘You have been out early good lady?’ Theodan smiled at her, his affection clear, ‘you have been outside the walls?’ The countryside surrounding Tintagel was safe enough, fields and farmers stretching for miles.

‘Aye! I had thought to ride out to Mugan’tar but I got waylaid at Hafdars farm along the west road, his sheep are suffering with the heat and he wanted my men to help him bring them into the shade.’ The country surrounding Tintagel was sparsely populated unlike Bodmin and Exeter, the Burhs immediate citizenry numbering in the hundreds. If nothing else it created a sense of community and comradery not found elsewhere, on the moors of Devon the open expanses sowed suspicion of strangers more than anything else. She eyed the Queen for a moment, her mind suddenly prompted, ‘We will have to start thinking about furnishing you with a crib my lady and the necessities for your labour aye?’

‘I brought a Moses basket with me, a gift from my mother’ she pushed herself up to her feet, pulling her dress down over the bump of her belly, ‘A midwife would be welcome? Primael I am sure is an excellent physician, but I am not sure I want him at my knees.’

Both King and Stewardess burst into sudden laughter, Theodan placed his hand at the nape of his wife’s back, ‘I am sure we can find a woman to help you! Now off with you, I must get back to my wall building.’

King Theodan – The Kings Audience Chamber, Tintagel, Cornwall, October 770AD

The Bishop of Exeter stood behind Theodan and the Bishop of St Germans sat on a stool in the corner of the dim-lit room, smoke from the fire twisted around the low ceiling beams. The Cornish King sat in a high-backed chair bequeathed to him by the King of Wessex as a wedding gift, across the table, Bastian, Chaplain of the Royal Chapel sat nervously ringing his hands.

Theodan leaned back in his chair, rubbing the armrest, “This is a most unfortunate business young man, most unfortunate indeed” he tossed the parchment in his hand onto the table as if it were made of lead. ‘I have honoured you!’ his eyes fixed on Bastian and then he turned slightly toward the Bishop of Exeter, ‘I have trusted you with great responsibility’ the barb aimed at the Bishop, whose judgement was now, with letters from the Pope, in serious doubt. ‘Think I have not trial’s enough, setting my realms on a good footing without the spectre of heresy to contend with?’

Exeter stepped forward as the young Chaplain went to speak, the Bishops hand flying out to stifle his words before they could do his reputation more harm; “Forgive me my Lord King, I had no knowledge of these tidings I assure you” he glared at the young priest, ‘Had I known I would have lit the pyre myself’ his words icy and threatening. Bastian was according to letters received from Rome, in communication with a ring of Lollard heretics on the continent, intent on spreading their perversion to Cornwall by means of the Chapel Royal.

i5qkU6.png

The King turned his eyes once more at the young Chaplain, ‘I am within my rights to have you slain, you know this? Rome would applaud me for it!’ he let the words hang in the air a moment, ‘If I did not think it is merely the folly of youth that leads you astray you would be dead already.’ Indeed letters from his Holiness had urged, Theodan to burn the priest alive, but he had no wish to have such a gruesome stain upon his founding year.

“Rome fears what it does not understand” snapped Bastian, ‘the fat swine in Rome would seek to crush all before it in its lust for power and worldly glory’ his eyes locked on the two Bishops, ‘Just like the swine who come to sit in judgement of me now!’ their faces looked horrified, the Bishop of St Germans reddening in temper.

Before the Bishop could speak, Exeter rose to the challenge, ‘SILENCE! You will be silent or you shall never speak again, do you hear me?’ his body shook, anger was not in his nature but he seemed to be doing a good demonstration of it suddenly.

Theodans hand shot out, grabbing the Bishop by the elbow before he could move to strike the Chaplain, his voice low, ‘That threat does not lie within your power to keep my friend, nor does it do you justice.’ The Kings gaze fixed the priest, ‘You will leave this place, you will leave my hold and my lands before the setting of the sun! A boat is ready on the beach, it will take you over the water to Brittany and there you may go about your life’ he paused, his words heavy and his tone foreboding, ‘If ever you enter my lands again your life is forfeit, do you understand me?’ there was no anger in his voice, just cold steel.

‘Yes Lord, I understand you!’ he rose from his chair as Theodan indicated he could leave, ‘God be with you, Theodan King!’

‘And also with you!’ came the cool reply.

Queen Mari– the Royal bed-chamber, Tintagel, Cornwall, 20th of December 770AD

Sweat lathered Mari’s flesh, her labour had not been at all easy and every inch of her body ached but regardless of her dishevelled appearance and blood covered sheets, Theodan stood over her in loving, care, wiping her brow. “What a blessing you have bestowed on us my love!” he leant forward and kissed her forehead.

A wailing bundle of joy was wriggling inside a woollen blanket; Princess Morgana, future Queen of Cornwall. Mari offered out her arms listlessly, taking the little babe from the midwife. “Isn’t she beautiful? Just beautiful!” a smile, that would make angels weep broke across the faces of the King and Queen.

l1SwTY.png

Theodan brushed tenderly at Mari’s hair, love swelling in his heart and pride blooming alongside it; a dynasty had been founded and though the future was not certain roots at least were taking to the earth. ‘Fetch my Chaplain and Primael’ he eyed his weary wife, ‘you need to be looked at, he will make you drafts to strengthen you.’ A young maid of the chamber bowed, graciously and rushed to the door, ‘FETCH FRESH BEDDING!’ he called, before turning back to his wife, whose eyes looked weary.

She smiled at him, her eyes heavy with sleep and she shifted her weight on the bed, ‘There is no need to fuss’ she stroked her nose gently against her daughters button nose, ‘let us just have a moment’ placing a kiss on the Kings hand, resting on her shoulder comfortingly. She had no wish to be troubled by the Chaplain of the Chapel Royal, he was an unpleasant creature, sickly, distempered and overly pious.

King Theodan – The Road to Penzance, Cornwall, May 771AD

Seals were sleeping on the beach below, the late spring sunshine casting itself down upon the sands, warming their bodies and lifting away the chill of the sea’s the glinted brilliant blue. A chorus of gulls screeched and squawked from the cliff face, hundreds of little fluttering bodies coming and going from the high stone bastions where their nests were built.

Theodan and his small band had set up blankets on the ground atop the mighty cliffs, enjoying the warm weather as they sat and ate their meal, horses grazed on a hillock overseen by a number of the younger men in the Kings retinue. Mari, the Queen and now mother to the future Queen, sat beside the Lady Drilego on the grass, nibbling on bread and cheese. The King and his Stewardess had planned this little jaunt away from Tintagel to view the surrounding villages and hamlets dotted along the coast, the largest of which, Penzance was but another hour or so’s ride.

“The Queen looks in much better health now she is in the good air nay?” the question came from the Master of the Horse, the Kings Marshal and Mayor of Bodmin, standing beside the King as they both looked down on the cove below.

“Aye she does” Theodan nodded, ‘her labour took much from her I fear, next time she will need to rest properly!’ he indicated to the sitting courtiers, ‘let us eat our meal and be on our way, there is no sense in being out on the road in the dark.’

‘I have sent word ahead, a warm bed and a sturdy roof I awaits us at the end of the road’ the Marshal was not a fan of discomfort, he was a man of considerable appetite and over eating had begun to weigh on him. He rubbed his buttocks as they moved toward the rolled-out rugs, ‘I will be having words with that bloody saddle maker when we get back to Tintagel, I paid for a new seat and it’s given me a bloody rash like I made my bed in nettles.’ The Marshal slapped Theodan hard on the back, ‘still I bet the Queen finds her saddle more than comfy aye? Ha ha! A saddle for King making!’

Theodan laughed a little, forcing it out as his uncouth Marshal roared in amusement at his own joke.

XVbUef.png

Another good and nice chapter;)

An heir is always a good thing.

Nice scene banishing the heretic.

I must tell you two things:

1) I am very happy to see another AAR from you!

2) Is the Stellaris one dead, then? :(

I must tell you two things:

1) I am very happy to see another AAR from you!

2) Is the Stellaris one dead, then? :(

I am happy your happy, I love writing these things :D and I want to play this one out for as long as I can now.

The Stellaris one as yet I am unsure about as I have not yet reloaded stellaris after buying my new laptop, CK2 has my heart though I do enjoy writing Sci-fi......ancient history though is my forte and I may yet lay this one down when Imperator breaks onto the world.....I have even been debating how to write E.U but as yet am unsure how I would like to write one.

Chapter 3: New friends and lost opportunity

King Theodan – The Kings Private Rooms, Tintagel, 26th June 771AD

“What do you recommend good lady? You have seen these things before yes?” Theodan stood nervously over his wife rubbing her back, the Queen on her knees wrenching into a copper bowl.

The midwife, or rather the local wise woman though again she did not seem overly wise was nodding her head frantically as she packed her belongings into a leather satchel, “Nothing out of the ordinary, no need to worry, baby will be just fine my Lord” she moved a fiddled with her hand inside the satchel, pulling out a small earthen jar, sealed with wax.

‘And my wife?’ concern written all over his face, ‘the babe is important but my wife is your top priority, old one!’ Many would disagree with him, the Queen was easily replaced, a common tart according to some whispers amongst his followers.

‘Ah yes no worry there’ she moved at the Queen, gripping her tight by the cheeks, using her thumb to force up her eyelids as she the old crone peered into them, she shoved the little jar into the Kings hand, ‘Let her drink this mixed with boiled water, it will ease the sickness.’ She moved again suddenly, as if the Queen of Cornwall were nothing but a trifle.

Mari had lost all her colour and a sigh gently pushed its way from her lips as she wrenched again, yellow bile filling the bowl. ‘Is that it? That the best you can advise?’ anger rose in Theodan slightly.

‘Rest’ the crone moving to the door, fiddling with a knot in her hair, ‘plenty of rest! And make her drink the bloody thing’ with that she flung the chamber door open and waltzed through it.

The Queen placed a hand soothingly on her husband’s knee, ‘Get on off my ladies to boil some water my love, I will drink the thing now, no matter how vile it may be!’ her body shook as she fought back more vomit, ‘Anything to spare me from this!’

King Theodan – The Kings Private Rooms, Tintagel, 2nd July 771AD

Chancellor Stefan entered the room quietly, offering an unseen bow to the King, who was sat at his desk scribbling away on parchment, quill in hand, as the door closed Theodan looked up with a start.

“My King” Stefan smiled, moving toward the table, ‘I hope I have not disturbed you?’ he waited a moment, the King gesturing for him to sit. ‘The manuscripts you requested, I have acquired them!’ A set off rolled up parchments being suddenly placed on the table between them.

‘I thought there would be more?’ Theodan lifted the scrolls from the desk, eyeing them disappointedly. He had requested from the local monastery in Exeter, manuscripts on language, hoping to study the native tongues of Englaland and Wales, whilst he awaited his wife’s labour.

‘Alas my Lord, materials of such nature are difficult to acquire and the monastery only had a few scrolls that it could send’ he sounded apologetic though their was a hint of finality in his answer. Theodan’s expression made it clear more must be done and so Stefan hesitated, looking for a quick solution. His eyes lit up as the answer presented itself, ‘I had thought we could hire you a tutor from abroad, so they may teach you first hand?’ he presented it as a carefully thought out plan though it was nothing of the kind.

Theodan smiled warmly, tossing the parchments down, ‘Marvellous my friend, a truly marvellous notion see that it is done’ a sly smirk twitching at the edge of his lips. Let us hope you have one come as quick to mind as that lie you just spouted came to you. ‘Is that all you wanted Chancellor?’ he used the title, the implication being that a few rolls of parchment and a blatant lie were not a full days work for his leading Councillor.

Stefan beckoned to the servant who had entered with him and dispersed into the shaded gloom of the chamber, ‘We have word from Mercia my Lord, regarding your daughters betrothal?’ he left it as a question, in case his King did not wish to discuss such matters, his wife’s health delicate as it was and the matter itself highly secret for the moment.

The King nodded, acknowledging the servant who handed another scroll to his master before retreating once more, ‘I hope we have good news? My wife is eager to have the matter settled quickly’ offering a challenge, ‘It would grant her some comfort I am sure to know you work on her behalf’ Theodan knew from his small collection of spies and gossips, that the Chancellor was no great lover of the Kings wife, nor did he support the idea that the Princess in her cradle was a suitable heir, being against female rulers.

Stefan winced slightly, uncomfortable at the implications but carried on, ‘The Earl of Warwick and Worcester sends you good tidings my King’ he smiled, ‘and I am told a small delegation is on the road to visit us, they are at present in Bath.’

Theodan smacked the table, his face joyous, ‘Marvellous work’ warmth glowed across him, ‘truly Stefan, marvellous.’

King Theodan – The Great Hall, Tintagel, 19th July 771AD

The Anglo-Saxon envoy had not offered to bow to the King but Theodan let the slight to his dignity go, such as it was the Earl of Warwick and Worcester controlled a realm as large and as wealthy as his whole Kingdom and with King Offa of Mercia as his Overlord, the power he could bring to bare was considerable.

Both sides however, had put on their best display; Theodan had had the chair given to him by the King of Wessex brought from his private rooms, the high backed oaken seat was as close to a throne as anything he could find. Dressed in the finest cloth he had, draped with a long cloak and with a thin golden mantle on his brow, Theodan looked as close to a Breton King as could be.

The Ambassador and his delegation, likewise had dressed in their finery. Edgar, envoy of Warwick stood tall and proud, his moustache combed and waxed, a beautiful tunic with silver thread on the cuffs lay under a patch work scarf, clasped at the shoulder with a bronze brooch and pin, no doubt a gift from his lord. “I think that is our business concluded then my Lord-King” the mans voice was smooth and carried well around the Hall to the gathered court, a momentary still following as the translator spoke from Anglo-Saxon to Breton. It had been agreed that the Princess Morgana and the Earls son would wed when both reached their majority and proxy services would be held when they were both ten years old.

“I am most happy my friend” Theodan rose from his chair, striding off the small dais to embrace the envoy, ignoring the translator who was trying to keep pace, ‘if all remains to the good this will be the start of a glorious friendship!’ As part of the marriage contract both sides had agreed to a series off promises. Cornwall and Warwick were to be allied to one another, the Earl conscious of King Offa’s fickle nature, seeking promises of military support from Cornwall should the political situation in Mercia ever sour against him, whilst Warwick and Worcester would support Theodan in his plans for expansion in Wales, in return for a small monetary recompense.

King Theodan – The Royal Bedchamber, Tintagel, 6th January 772AD

Lord god, be merciful! Father, keep her close to you, grant her entry in the vaults of heaven and may the angels sing for her.

A single tear traced its way down Theodans cheek as his eyes lay softly on the still corpse of his wife and the mother of his child. The maids were wrapping her gently in a white linen shroud, though her face could still be seen. Besides the bed parody of parodies, the neatly dressed Chaplain, stood muttering his prayers beside a wicca basket of heavily, blood stained sheets.

A shudder crossed Theodans body as a young girl curtsied to him, tears streaming down her face as she held the limp body of the would be Prince in her arms. A wave of the Kings fingers, telling her to leave.

The Councillors parted to let the maid exit the room, the Stewardess and the Chancellor both standing in abject silence looking regretfully at the white washed face of the King. Theodan breathed in heavily, ‘Well that is that then isn’t it’ his words sounded far off, lost in fog, empty of feeling as he rose from his chair. A last backward glance at the former Queen being taken before he made for the door. ‘Have everything made ready’ he looked to the Stewardess, ‘they will be buried together in the Chapel’ there was no question, just cold fact.

Drilego bowed, brushing her gown backward, ‘As you wish it Lord.’

‘Get rid of the bed’ he said more to himself than anyone else, ‘the bed, the linen, all off it, I want it all gone!’

‘Yes my Lord’ she intoned, understanding completely the shock and inner turmoil on her Kings face. With those words Theodan left the room, alone and adrift. The Stewardess looked to the Chancellor and he to her, ‘He will need to marry again and quickly’ she pointed to the bed, ‘One Princess alone is not enough to secure his position’ she paused, her heart aching slightly but necessity drove her, ‘you know as well as I do our enemies will not sit idle.’

The Chancellor pulled his long woollen gown tightly about him, his chain off office weighing heavily around his shoulders as he turned to the door, ‘Do we have enemies Lady? I have not met them yet!’ he sounded harsh in his retort. ‘Let her go cold before we seek a new Queen to lay in her deathbed aye?’

‘If time were a luxury your answer would be a noble one Chancellor’ she looked to the cooling body. Her mind drifted and she decided to indulge the act of silence; I will speak with Mildrith and get us to work.

Well that is a blow to him.

Another good and interesting chapter. I feel sad for Theoden, what shame losing both queen and prince:(

Chapter 4: New faces

King Theodan – The Kings Hall, Tintagel, 19th of February 772AD

What a little morsel you are! Theodan’s eyes lingered over the young lady’s bosom, it was pert and full, a constant jiggle capturing his hunger every time she laughed. This was Elesbed, born of Gawan mad Herbont, a petty noble who held a few acres of land just south of Tintagel and she had come to court to serve in the house of the Stewardess, though she spent little time in Drilego’s home now the King had taken a fancy to her.

She was buxom in build, not overly tall and her hips were well rounded though she was only a flower of a maid. Theodan found her fascinating for she was a well-versed young lady. You can talk the hind legs of a donkey lady, but I could listen to you until the end of days. She had a skill at speaking that few could compare and her father had taught her well the arts of diplomacy, already the young woman had solved a number of disputes amongst the Kings household servants; only the week before she had offered advise over a land dispute between two farmers from Devon who had brought a complaint to the King and they had been happy with the justice, Theodan had served yet she had devised.

He had already set in motion plans to wed her and in the quiet hours of night they had sat at length besides the hearth fire and she had accepted his proposal, though they would wait till the spring, when a decent time since Mari’s death would have passed. The need for more children was pressing and though Elesbed had taken great pains to take an interest in the Princess, Morgana, she understood that the King needed more children and needed them quickly if they were to see off any rivals to the Cornish throne.

SVUXx7.png

Across the waters and closer to home, other nobles were eager to advance their destinies and a throne built upon and resting around the fortunes of a baby girl was a precarious and tempting throne indeed.

The King reached over for the lady’s cup, taking it up and pouring wine from a pewter jug into it. “It is not the nicest of tastes, but it keeps the cold away!” he smiled at her, taking her hand and putting the cup in it, she simply smiled at him as his eyes wandered around the room to look at the faces of the court.

Sat far across the chamber, beside the Bishop of Exeter, a man with deep black skin was talking. His name was, Ku, Ku the Wise and Theodan had taken him into his service despite the distaste of many at court, as his physician, since the former doctor, Primael had decided his time in Cornwall had come to an end, leaving without so much as a goodbye.

“He has a kindly face” she said, directing her statement in the direction of the new medicine man, ‘I would like very much to speak with him?’ she would not obviously do so if Theodan did not consent.

With a tongue like yours and a mind like his, their will be hell to pay for any who does not think that Cornwall is well attended by god.

‘If you wish it!’ Theodan nodded, sipping his own wine before turning to a servant, ‘Fetch the physician, tell him to bring his plate, Cornwalls future Queen wishes an audience’ he jested playfully as Elesbed blushed. She had not hoped to be Queen, she was honest in that she had no ambition in that regard, but she had accepted the challenge.

King Theodan –The Kings Private Rooms, Tintagel, March 772AD

The Bishop of Exeter sat opposite the King, beside him Ku the Wise, now Chaplain and Physician sat quietly, waiting for Theodan to finish readining the letter they had brought to him. Elesbed, the new Queen sat patiently waiting to know what news had come to Tintagel burh.

“You will send our best wishes to his Holiness” Theodan looked up from the parchment, ‘wish him well in his endeavours and remind him he has a loyal son in me!’ It was grave news and wonderous, the former Pontiff had gone to meet his Lord and Creator, but a new Holy Father had been elected in the quickest of time. Hadrianus, at the age of twenty-six was amongst the youngest men ever elected to the highest office in Christendom and it promised a long period of stability for no doubt it would be many years before this Shephard left his flock. “What do we know about the newest occupant of Peters throne?” Theodan addressed the Bishop of Exeter, expectantly. Though the office itself and its theatrics rarely changed, the nature of the man was no doubt important.

Ilqgfn.png

“Regrettably my Lord, I know little about Hadrianus off importance” the Bishop looked to Ku for support, but the dark-skinned man simply shrugged his shoulders unsure what to offer. ‘He is Italian? He is young, and he has the support of the city but more than that I know not? I am told he is a just man but he can be stubborn, it will take time to see how the office will shape him.’

Elesbed leaned forward, gently touching Theodans hand smoothly her face warm and smiling, “Let us hope then his Holiness has a long yet unexciting reign, a just man with a splash of stubbornness, is little for us to be concerned with’ she nudge her husband gently with her shoulder, ‘so long as he keeps himself to himself there is no need for us to worry.’

Ku edged forward slightly, indicating his wish to speak and Theodan offered him the platform, so to speak, “His Holiness, has the support of the city that does not mean he has the support of the Curia” he paused, speaking in the best Breton he could, having spent time as a slave in Leon, he was as close to fluent as he could hope to be, ‘If what I have read is true from my friends over the channel, he has been placed on the throne for fear of the cities nobility and not because the Cardinal-Princes support him’ he looked to the Bishop of Exeter, his voice hinting at reservation, ‘I fear his reign maybe brief and eventful rather than unexciting.’

Queen Elsebed – The Royal Bedchamber, Tintagel, Cornwall, 22nd August 772AD

Ku’s hands moved carefully along the Queens rounding belly, delicately pressing and pushing in various places along the widening bump. “The baby sits well” he smiled to her and she smiled back, ‘they feel a good size as well’ his single golden eye sparkling with almost holy light.

“You are sure my friend?” Theodan spoke, sitting nervously by the table to the side, ‘you are certain all is well?’

The Chaplain did not look away from the Queen to acknowledge the King, put moved his hands to feel the pulse at her wrist, ‘You feel well enough?’

StNldt.png

I feel bloody huge and foul at this very moment!

Elsebed nodded carefully, sensing her husbands worry even without looking upon him, she focused on her doctor, the black skinned priest, ‘I do my friend, I feel fine!’ she looked to her husband suddenly, ‘I feel very well I promise!’

Ku the Wise stood up straight, at nearly six foot he was a tall, striking figure, his single eye adding to his aura of wisdom, it had been said amongst some of the peasentry who clung to the old faith, that this dark-skinned man was the One-eyed god, Odin sent amongst them and not the Catholic priest he claimed to be. He moved toward the King, placing a hand on his shoulder, ‘Worry not my Lord’ he threw a glance at Elsebed, ‘I will move my bed into the stables outside, if anything worries you my lady you call me at once? No matter how small? Any discomfort and you summon me, is that clear?’

She nodded emphatically, acutely aware that her health and her child’s survival were of the uttermost importance.

8MpZPj.png

King Theodan – The Kings Hall, Tintagel, 29th November 772AD

“SOUND THE BELLS! THE CHAPELS BELLS, LET THEM RING” Theodan was bursting with joy as he flung open the doors to the Hall and a handful of courtiers suddenly turned with a start toward him. The Stewardess and Chancellor who had been sat at one of the tables quickly rose to offer a bow. ‘A SON! MY QUEEN HAS GIVEN ME A SON!”

Applause and happy words suddenly chattered around the room, Drilego stepped forward offering a deep courtesy, ‘God be praised my King!’

Chancellor Stefan snapped his fingers at a serving boy, “Send to the Chapel! Ring the bells” his voice low. He to moved toward his Lord, bowing low ‘Congratulations to you and yours my King! A perfect gift to crown the Christmas season!’

‘HA, HA!’ Theodan was roaring with laughter, sweeping up a cup of wine from a table, ‘A son my friends, there is a Prince in Cornwall’ he turned to a serving girl, who looked startled, ‘Fetch the Princess, I will take her to meet her brother!’ The girl bowed and flew from the room. ‘Send to Exeter, summon the Bishop’ he threw to another servant, ‘Drilego bring me the cook, we feast tonight!’ and the Stewardess left also, Theodan kicked a log into the fire, ‘let us light the fires, the Queen and my son must not feel any of the winter chill! TINTAGEL HAS A PRINCE-BORN!’

G4lQng.png

Another good and interesting chapter

I do believe he is a bit entranced :D

Chapter 5: Buds of spring

King Theodan – The Chapel Royal of Tintagel, Cornwall, Easter, March 773AD

The courtiers were slowly filing out of the church and the Kings’ almoner had left the dais with a small purse in hand to distribute alms to Tintagel’s hungry citizens. Winter had clung on well into February and it had been harder than normal, storms and bitter winds blowing in off the sea. Three fishermen had lost their lives trying to haul in a catch, one dark, grey morning and their bodies now rested beneath the stones of the burhs cemetery, outside the walls.

King Theodan handed his daughter to her nursemaid as Queen Elsebed handed the new Prince Gwain, to his own nurse, ‘I will see you shortly my love’ he kissed her gently, his eyes already fixed on his target, ‘I would speak with the envoy before he departs!’ A squat, Anglo-Saxon with a sizeable gut, covered by a rough brown tunic, his hair cropped short stood amid the courtiers. ‘If you may wait a moment friend’ Theodans voice carrying over the heads of the congregation, the man turning with a forced smile. Chancellor Stefen lingered but Theodan waved him on, ‘Enjoy your day Chancellor.’ The King smiled warmly at the envoy, taking the short, fat man by the arm, guiding him out of the aisle, ‘I wanted to thank your master for the gift he sent for my son’s baptism, it was most heart warming to see he holds his future son-in-law in such regard.’

‘A trifle my Lord, a trifle’ the ambassador replied smoothly, though the beautiful, bejewelled crucifix that now adorned the royal chapel was far from a trifle. ‘A mere sign of my Lords admiration!’ The envoys eyes narrowed at the sudden realisation, he had already been thanked, ‘Is that all you wanted my Lord King? The Ealdorman needs no further thanks.’

wcdKx6.png

‘What does your Lord want from me and mine? He spent the yuletide in Winchester, despite my invitation’ Theodan did not hold back suddenly, voicing quite obviously his feeling of being slighted.

The envoy looked suddenly uncomfortable and ill at ease, but steeled himself quickly, ‘Earl Brorda meant no offensive my King’ he bowed ever so slightly, ‘but the King of Wessex is a persuasive man, influential and Surrey is in need of friends.’

‘Does he not have a friend in me? Does he not have a friend in Cornwall? I can be a persuasive man myself I assure you!’ Theodan sounded even more irritated, offense creeping further into his voice.

Surry’s ambassador suddenly turned, annoyed at being backed into a corner, ‘Three thousand warriors, ready to march at a moments word is far more persuasive than the rag-tag band that you can muster!’ he snapped harshly. Suddenly aware he had potentially over-stepped his mark, ‘My Lord is ever your friend’ he squirmed, ‘but you must see the difficult position we are in? Surrey like Cornwall is surrounded by wolves, befriending Wessex is as good for Cornwall as it is for Surrey.’

A long look passed between them, Theodan taking in the measure of the ugly little man; I guess I have learnt the value of my friendship, aye?

King Theodan—Outside the Spymasters House, Tintagel, 19th April 773AD

A horse came flying down the half cobbled street, heading from the burhs new gatehouse, the rider covered in the grime of the road, sodden. Drizzle was falling in gentle sheets as spring rain wet the ground and turned the smoke coming from the rooves white. He and Ku the Wise, stopped and waited expectantly outside the Spymasters house.

I fear such speed does not bode well, but what can be worse than the day I have had? In the hovel behind them, the Kings spymaster lay dead in her bed, servants already wrapping her cooling body in linen, a vicious flu having snatched the young woman away.

The rider pulled his horse to a sharp stop. “Lord King” the rider near breathless, he had obviously travelled at haste, ‘I bring word from the Bishop of Exeter, grave news’ he leant forward offering the King a rolled-up scrap of parchment.

The wax seal was indeed, Exeter’s and the King shared a hesitant glance with his Physician, come Chaplain before he broke it and let the small note unravel. His eyes skimmed the page, taking it all in, as a vague expression of concern edged itself around his eyes and across his brow. As he handed the paper to Ku, his colour fading, “It seems you were right about his Holiness!”

What sin can be greater than that which befalls the city of Rome? To slay the Holy Father is a deed worthy of the devil himself.

“Ah!” the Physician was not surprised, but it was obvious the tidings had taken him aback for a heartbeat off a moment, ‘I did hope it would take longer than this but it seems Hadrianus was in a weaker position than I was informed.’

‘Informed?’ Theodan’s voice suddenly rising in curiosity, he stepped back a moment eying the Doctor-Chaplain with some suspicion, ‘You have friends in Rome? I did not know you were so high and mighty my friend’

It was Ku’s turn to look surprised, but it was again only brief, his composure never truly faltering, ‘I would not say I have friends in Rome my Lord, but I have been to the Eternal City and those I met along the way, write to me from time to time.’ He handed the note back to Theodan without a second glance, ‘As I said previously, Hadrianus was short in allies and his succession was forced upon the city, but I had hoped they would have given him a chance.’

‘It seems not’ Theodan turned from his companion, ‘I would like to meet these acquittances off yours’ he threw over his shoulder as he turned, ‘they maybe of use in the future.’ The thought of the Holy Father having been usurped and then founded dead within a span of days was worrying to say the least, even if Rome was many miles away, events in the Holy City shaped events ever further afield.

The black skinned chaplain, bowed casting his eyes low, ‘I shall my Lord, if you will invite a few of them to visit us here?’ he did not wait for the reply, he knew Theodan would gladly play host to any who might offer some security to his reign.

‘Just down the street is a tavern, Merlins hovel the peasants call it’ the King looking to the messenger, ‘tell the inn-keeper you are to stay on my slate, rest up, eat, feed your horse and find yourself a friendly face to keep you occupied’ he meant a whore, not that Tintagel had overly many of those, ‘I will send for you when I need you.’

Queen Elesbed – The Kings Hall, Tintagel, 19th July 773AD

The main dais was empty save for the Kings own standard hanging limp in the warm, humid air. Summer was in high power and the doors to the Kings Hall were wide open to allow the sea breeze to offer relief, sat around a long table beside the fire pit were Theodan’s Council.

Elesbed sipped gently on her cup of elderflower water, proscribed by Ku to help her threw her newest pregnancy, having caught only in the previous month and already suffering the sickness of the morning. Beside her Theodan eyed over the plans for a new royal residence, though discussions on the topic had ended about an hour earlier. Monies had been raised from petty nobles and farmsteads that lined the coasts to fund a new fit of building.

DeKfcs.png

“He is said to be quite unfit for the office he know holds” the gentle voice of Leofgifu sounding. She was a beautiful young woman, with fiery red hair, Anglo-Saxon by birth and brought to Tintagel at the recommendation off the black-skinned, Chaplain to act as the Kings eyes and ears. ‘But nevertheless, no one has at present the means to oppose him.’ They were discussing the appointment of the new Holy Father, Pope Caelestinus II ‘the Black’.

There are I am sure more important issues we should be discussing. Elesbed thought to herself, though she held her peace. All of Britain was shaken by the removal of the previous Pontiff and the ascension of this apparent, black-hearted braggart to the Holy See. We should perhaps be discussing the issue of Wessex eying London, or Mercia seeking to disturb Englalands peace. She was no fool and in private discussions with the beauteous new spymaster, she had learnt that events across the island were in motion, Cornwall was if it were not careful, in danger of being outstripped by her neighbours.

tp7x4i.png

“We must send our congratulations to his Holiness no matter our opinion” came the servile retort of the Bishop of Exeter, ‘a good man or not, he is nevertheless now the leader of the Church and he is deserving off our obedience.’ Exeter looked to Theodan, seeking his support on the matter, though it was not forthcoming.

Elsebed’s eyes moved to the Physician, who in recent months had grown in stature and influence despite the nature of his hide. He was a wise man, learned and respected, from the look on his face he clearly disagreed though he would not speak against an anointed Bishop when he himself was but a layman. Leofigfu looked to her friend Ku, with a rueful smile, they had already discussed this topic in private clearly, ‘I see no need for our Lord King to commit himself so readily’ she looked to Theodan, her eyelashes fluttering, ‘it would be wiser for us to wait a while’ she smiled gently at the Bishop of Exeter, who blushed almost instantly under her succulent gaze, ‘a new Holy Father may emerge quicker than the last one left, if he is as dark hearted as the reports say!’

‘Do not wish such a thing’ snapped Exeter, ‘We must pray gods light shines brightly, that Caelestinus may find his way back to grace through the honour of the office he now holds.’

The Queen gently touched Thoedan’s hand, instantly silencing the Bishop, ‘Leofigfu is right in a fashion’ she paused acknowledging their mutual friendship, before turning to Exeter to assure him she offered no challenge to his position, ‘I do not wish his Holiness harm and I agree we should pray for him’ all eyes fell on her, including the Kings, ‘but let us be cautious, those who may yet rise would not look kindly upon us if we acted in haste simply to appear loyal’ she paused, ‘it would be seen as the act of a cynic and a political gesture, not one of true devotion’ her hand rising to clutch the small crucifix around her throat.

King Theodan – The Royal Bedchamber in the new Residence, Tintagel, 9th February 774AD

The scene was one like those found in the manuscripts of Lindisfarne; King, Queen and children in loving embrace. Elsebed sat weary and drained on the bed-sheets, covered over with a thick fur blanket, her new born son, Theodan mab Theodan in her arms. Beside her the King held their other son Gwain whilst the toddling Princess Morgana clambered about the bed.

At the end of the grand bed, the Council had gathered listening to the blessing of the Bishop of Exeter, Ku as High Almoner was wafting incense over the bed to cleanse the air. Chancellor Stefen stood proudly beside them and behind him the Stewardess and Marshal waited heads bowed. In the previous month the Chancellor had acquired documentation stating the Kings claim to lands in Wales, supposedly bequeathed to him by an unknown noble who had died without name or neighbour to recall him. Theodan sat confidently on the bed, smiling, his throne growing ever more secure and his desire to build something worth passing on growing ever stronger.

G0mvnP.png

King Theodan – The Royal Bedchamber in the new Residence, Tintagel, 14th September 775AD

Princess Morgana clutched gently at her brother Gwains’ hand, the little Prince himself know taking the first proper steps on his own legs. Elsebed was fast asleep and already the midwife had handed the babe over to the Chaplain-Doctor to examine her health.

Mari, named at the request of the current Queen in honour of the former Queen and late-mother of the future Queen. Theodan peered over her, beaming with joy, ‘All is well my friend?’

Ku nodded happily, toying with the little girls strong grip, ‘All is exactly as it should be my friend’ it was bold to call a King friend, but Theodan and Ku the Wise had developed a strong bond over recent years and spent many hours walking or riding the coastline of Cornwall together.

IxE0lS.png

Another good and interesting chapter. Seems as family of Theoden grows bigger, three children in a short time. Happy Holidays