• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, it's been a almost a month since I've posted here. Fortunately, my life is finally dialing down to the point where I'm juggling only three part-time jobs instead of four, which will mean theoretically more time for updating. :) No ETA on the update, but I do know that some of you have been waiting in suspense for quite some time. Your wait shall not be in vain!

Reactions:
Yay!

Psst... I don't wish to alarm you, but something very possibly update-shaped may be coming this weekend.

Chapter 4: The "Four-Gin" Queen

Alfridh's legacy is almost certainly one of the most controversial in the history of Denmark. It is true that a substantial portion of this controversy derived from her uncompromising attitude toward monarchical rule. She patently refused any interference in her reign, and many of the leading Danish nobles took serious issue with that. The decision to take Freya as the Chief Patron of Denmark was one of those decisions that made perfectly good sense but was still challenged by the leading lights of the Kingdom. After all, Denmark needed fresh blood to keep the war machine running and, even more importantly, needed gold to pay off the debts of war.

That said, not all of her bad reputation was unjustified. Alfridh was highly uneven when it came to financial matters and continued to let the treasury bleed. Her admirers claimed that Alfridh feared attack, which was not an unreasonable position to take given the bloodbath of war with Wessex. Much of the missing funds were indeed funneled into military advances, including the development of siege artillery. It may have been this development that convinced the Papal State to benefit Denmark in a surprising way as a result of their war with Florence. [1] Yet, two short years into her reign, Alfridh added three new provinces to Denmark, following that up with the regional alliance that Denmark had sought since the end of the war with Wessex.

On 1 December 1490, Freya returned to her rightful place as Chief God of the Norse. It was the feast in Freya's honor that created Alfridh's ill-boding moniker. Given her abstinence and general asceticism, many of Alfridh's admirers had termed her "The Virgin Queen"; a few drunken revelers came up with "Four-Gin Queen", which made absolutely no sense (Alfridh probably had two gins her entire life) but nevertheless, stuck in the ears of her dissatisfied noblemen.

The Peace of Rome, dated 17 December 1492, saw Denmark surprisingly gain Holstein, Lauenberg, and Lübeck, despite not a single ball being fired. Historians have searched the Vatican archives for reasons for the Catholics to help the Norse to no avail.

ecY0Fs.jpg

17 December 1492 was also important for another reason: the treaty with Mercia. Although Mercia held only one province at the time--the wealthy Marches--Mercia could, if nothing else, distract Florence in a future war.

The success of Danish foreign policy led to a concerted policy of economic development. Alfridh, in a political move designed to undermine the stubborn Danish nobility, hired a group of wealthy middle-class civil servants and named them the first Danish Civil Service. These gentlemen worked tirelessly to restructure the Danish tax base to the benefit of the Crown (and, as it happened, themselves), giving the Danish kingdom a source of wealth outside of noble largesse. In a somewhat unpopular move, Alfridh slashed the military budget, despite the fact that an army of 6,000 was wholly inadequate to defend Denmark. The three new provinces were entirely undefended. That said, it did actually result in the first positive balance the Danish treasury had in some time.

In February 1494, Alfridh fell ill, or so some of her palace staff claimed. Of course, the nobility, now joined by senior military officers retired on half-pay, tried to claim power, but she had a contingency plan in place. Senior members of the Danish Civil Service were charged with devolving power to the provincial nobility, many of whom were younger and less conservative than those who spent much of their life in Jorvik. One of these provincial noblemen, Jarl Hysing Ingvar of Norfolk, decided to move his base of operations from the English Channel to Lübeck, further driving Danish growth.

The beginning of the end of the nobility was probably 10 January 1494, when the Danish Civil Service was born. Nothing quite so deflates an illiterate nobleman like being requested to fill out his coat of arms applications in triplicate.

Somewhat ironically, Alfridh had this balance sheet framed. While she and her advisors focused on the "+.27", later historians looked worryingly at the "8.10" under Interest.

Alfridh's illness of 23 February 1494 has been variously claimed as an illicit pregnancy (false), her secret battles with alcoholism (even falser), and an attempted poisoning (somewhat plausible).

The shift to Lübeck on 4 December 1494 was an underrated move. Although the English Channel had more potential, it also required the constant deployment of the Danish navy to monitor the shipping lines. Lübeck was a lower cost move, at least for the short term.

Alfridh had one major supporter among the military: her Marshal, Helgi Alfrid. Under her Marshal's suggestion, the Queen began cultural programs to convince some of the more troublesome populations (such as the Welsh, Normans, and Anglo-Saxons) to adopt Norse cultural traditions. Norse populations were willing to accept additional taxation, and Danish debt was getting serious. In fact, 30 noble families had claims of 2430 thalers, which would take years to pay off without significant revenue increases.

Her Marshal's death in 1497 deprived of her most reliable ally, and over time, the noble families started pressuring her. A feast helped improved the overall stability of the realm but also required precious funds. She was able to briefly divert noble attention with an aggressive campaign of public relations against the Teutonic Order, who were solidly followers of the White Christ and, best of all, too far away to affect the outcome of any future wars.

One way to raise tax revenue was through a campaign of investment in the provinces, but before that could begin, foreign events captured the attention of Danes. A war between Florence and Gwynedd, surprisingly, benefitted Mercia by giving them London, but also dragged Denmark into a new war. Gwynedd, jealous of Mercia's success, wanted to take the Marches from Mercia. War was joined between Denmark and Mercia vs. Gwynedd and Wessex.

Danish debt by 15 September 1496 was, in a word, crippling. That this debt was owned only by Danish noblemen was only of minor comfort to the Queen. In truth, she would have preferred more reasonable Swedish bankers to the increasingly persistent nobility that dogged her steps.

The death of Helgi Alfrid on 15 March 1497 marked a low point in Alfridh's reign. More than a few people suggested Alfrid was the Queen's lover and, for once, the gossips might be right. One of Alfridh's two lifetime gins was consumed at his funeral.

c7CZBf.jpg

If the Marshal had survived, there is every possibility that he could have convinced more Danish nobles to lend money, with the objective of implementing the extensive infrastructure program. As it was, although the Danish Civil Service began scouting sites on 8 November 1498, 34 thalers alone was not going to get anything built.

This assessment of the militaries of both parties showed a decided naval advantage for Denmark, and overall superiority in numbers, but the lack of effective leadership and, in particular, cavalry, meant that success was hardly guaranteed. As of 1 August 1501, there were no battles; that would not remain forever.

Lacking effective military advice, a wealthy nobleman named Christian offered Alfridh a deal: he would marry her, finance the Crown's debt, and even lead the army into battle. All he asked was to become King. Alfridh had an impossible decision in front of her. She could either accept his proposal and lose her right to rule, which would lead to rebellions of her loyalists in Oxfordshire, or refuse his proposal and potentially set back the kingdom's affairs by years. She refused, but constantly second-guessed her decision for the rest of her life. [2]

Ossor Malmfrid, a military leader charitably called a "non-entity" by those who loved him, was the only man willing to serve as Marshal. A good marksman and highly conditioned athlete, he was not an inspiring leader of men. Nonetheless, he was given charge of the 9000 man army of Denmark with orders to repulse enemy advances and, if possible, counterattack. The Danish fleet was first to act, sinking four ships in two battles, recovering a transport for the future use of Denmark. Yet the economy continued to be problematic, and another 200 thalers were added to the Danish treasury after Alfridh made promises of glory and valor for some of the stupidest noblemen in Denmark.

To give these new noble creditors as little power as possible, she authorized major naval reforms and hired skilled musterers to begin increasing the returns of Danish censuses. She also opened the Bank of Denmark, which was designed to let common Danes invest their own money in their country and ease the Crown's burden from the nobility. With the additional gold and new men, the Danish army swelled to 15,000 and took Gloucestershire. In conjunction with the troops of Mercia, Denmark laid siege to Wessex with the view of ending the war as quickly as possible.

Christian II (as he called himself) made the proverbial offer "that could not be refused" to Alfridh on 22 October 1501. When she refused, he threatened that horrible things would happen to her and her kin, for which he was imprisoned. He remained there for ten years and gradually lost his mind, insisting that he was secretly the King and demanding to get an audience.

HffDNc.jpg

Ossor Manfrid, Marshal of Denmark, was not a man to inspire great deeds in his men. In fact, in his first address to the army on 1 December 1501, he said, "We are an army." That was the entirety of his speech. He then shot the tail off of a squirrel at 100 paces, leading to some confused applause and one very angry squirrel.

The Naval Reform of 30 July 1502 gave even more power to the middle class in Denmark, who served in the navy almost exclusively. The reform directly led to the appointment of the Director of the Bank of Denmark, who was also a Captain in the Danish Fleet.

The twin policies of 30 July 1502 were masterstrokes of policy on the part of Alfridh, who further reduced the influence of Denmark's nobility and stabilized the Danish economy, while finding new recruits for the army to offset the increased presence of Danish noble officers.

The saving grace of this war was that not a single drop of Danish blood had been spilled. The entire Danish army sat in Wessex while only the navy engaged the enemy. Noblemen eager for promotion were frustrated by a lack of opportunities for glorious charges. When the garrison of Wessex surrendered on 27 December 1503, Mercia leveraged Danish successes for their own benefit, gaining the province of Wessex and gold. Denmark gained nothing from the deal, which irritated Alfridh, but she had no real recourse without sacrificing Danish lives.

With Wessex out of the war, Gwynedd stood alone, and did take Lothian. The loss of a stronghold caused a financial panic, as noblemen were worried about what might happen if Skotland deserted to the enemy. A victory at Gloucestershire (again) was completely undermined by the revelation of corrupt individuals of the Danish Civil Service levying taxes for their own benefit. Alfridh had no choice but to dismiss, imprison, and even execute some members of the Civil Service as a result. Nobles demanded she either abdicate or pay her debts immediately; when she could do neither, the only possible result was bankruptcy. Mercia's victory over Gwynedd, which similarly gave Denmark no direct benefit, was hardly sufficient recompense.

MBidiw.jpg

The Siege of Wessex, finished 27 December 1503, set the tone for the Danish-Mercian alliance; Denmark did all the work...

kRKJlb.jpg

... and Mercia reaped all of the rewards, as a result of the treaty of 24 September 1504.

Although it did not seem significant at the time, this Swedish declaration of war on Norway (30 June 1504) was the saving grace of Denmark and Alfridh's reign as Queen.

qRm5Mg.jpg

The Danish Civil Service's betrayal of Alfridh crippled the Danish economy beyond repair. Alfridh lost her one remaining ally and the nobility called in their debts. 13 August 1505 was a black day indeed.

The declaration of bankruptcy on 16 September 1505 effectively neutered the Danish military. Many noble officers simply went home. The peasants who had invested in the Bank of Denmark were outraged to learn that their funds were gone. Alfridh avoided a coup by the narrowest of margins. Yet, all that said, the discharging of thousands of thalers in debt actually helped the economy, in point of fact. In fact, thalers started to trickle into the Danish treasury ever so slowly.

The only Danish name for the Treaty of 26 May 1506 consists of a series of particularly foul epithets, most of them directed against Mercia.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus! A map of the world, 26 August 1495.

8OTgiM.jpg

[1] It wasn't.

[2] If you haven't seen this event, it's 100 monarch points in all categories, but a 10,000 soldier rebellion in a random province. I did get five prestige for refusing, though!

This is normally the part where I share my brilliant strategy for this update. I didn't have one this time! I did miss mentioning in the update that I got Pike Infantry, so there's that. Although I played up the bankruptcy quite a bit in the update, in all reality, it wasn't that bad. There was literally no way I could have paid those loans back. I think I was close to 5000 ducats (or whatever) in debt, and even with everything as low as possible, I was getting one ducat a month. So, if I had 417 years left in the game and did nothing of any consequence, I might have broken even. As it turns out, things will transpire that will eventually raise my income quite a bit higher. Of course, things will get worse before then.

Much, much, much worse.

I don't know when I'll update again. November is a busy month for me, but I hope to update at least once next month. It's even feasible I could update more frequently, but I want to get my other AARs back on track too. I hope you enjoyed the update!

Reactions:
I wonder if any nations are going to try to take advantage of your bankruptcy to declare war. Someone will want their money back.

That is one ugly patchwork of a map. :eek:

Great to see a new update, Avindian! :)

The struggle between the royal authority and nobility continues. Bankruptcy is never good, hopefully you didn't have too many points in store at that point of time, and as you mentioned it does allow for some breathing ground on the financial domain.

Interesting to see that you are getting the vanilla flavour events for Denmark, I thought those were disabled in converted saves with vanilla countries. But that may be due to me not having played on the version that you are using for a long time.

Maybe you already did, but remember that you can now mothball forts to save some money. Not that it looks to be as critical an issue as it was before.

I wonder if any nations are going to try to take advantage of your bankruptcy to declare war. Someone will want their money back.

That is one ugly patchwork of a map. :eek:

It will get slightly better over time, this I promise you!

Great to see a new update, Avindian! :)

The struggle between the royal authority and nobility continues. Bankruptcy is never good, hopefully you didn't have too many points in store at that point of time, and as you mentioned it does allow for some breathing ground on the financial domain.

Interesting to see that you are getting the vanilla flavour events for Denmark, I thought those were disabled in converted saves with vanilla countries. But that may be due to me not having played on the version that you are using for a long time.

It cost me quite a few points, over 500 if my memory serves. That wasn't the worst part, though...

Maybe you already did, but remember that you can now mothball forts to save some money. Not that it looks to be as critical an issue as it was before.

I did remember this at some point during the playthrough, but the savings were negligible.

I'm going to try for an update Wednesday, I think; maybe Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sorry, everyone -- it will have to be next Tuesday or Wednesday. This was a busy week!

Reactions:
Ugh. I hate it when I fall so far behind! :( (I'm sure you aren't too pleased either.) The good news is that my schedule is going to be a whole lot freer in the coming days. The ballad* of Alfridh (and company) shall continue, my friends!

*Not actually a ballad. If somebody wants to put my AARs to song, I guess that's okay?

Reactions:
Oh come on. It can't be that lo... more than a month already? Where have all the updates gone?
:D

Just kidding - take your time. As long as your readAARs know what's up, you won't lose your subs. ;)

Reactions:
I am officially putting an update for this AAR on the calendar! It will either be tomorrow or Thursday.

Reactions:
Chapter 5: The Ban

As some of Denmark's greatest families had horse-drawn carts take away the family Hvitserk's treasures, Alfridh steamed. All she had left to her name was Skullsplitter (recently bloodied after a few of the more foolish nobles tried to convince her to part with it) and Castle Jorvik's edifice. Had the technology existed at the time, it was a certainty that the castle would have been gone too. She had mortgaged most of her family's possessions on wars that were either indecisive or disastrous. Her advisors were gone, except for loyal Ossor Malmfrid, her Marshal, and her son Gunnar.

Gunnar, now 19, was obsessed with gadgets and trickery of all kinds and spent much of his time with engineers and builders. Ossor tried to get him to join the army, where some of his ideas might be of use, but Gunnar did not want any job that would deny him the right to travel. Travel he did; he spent the better part of two years in Sweden, then lived in France for a time. He loved Westerners and tried to convince his mother to adopt some of their customs, but Alfridh would not reject the old ways. At least he never accepted the White Christ; he paid homage to the old gods, just as his mother and his ancestors had.

With her gallivanting son out of her hair, Alfridh knew she had to find a way to regain the power she once held. The Norse were (and, of course, are) warriors, and if she could win a few victories, much of her old support would return. She needed to crown herself in glory in order to get the people to accept the crown on her head. Yet, she needed money to achieve these goals, and the nobles would certainly never agree to lend her money. Even most of the wealthy banks of Europe were leery of lending her any gold. The peasantry was already angry because of the bankruptcy, and a decision to execute some ringleaders of an artisan revolt did her few favors.

The collapse of the Danish economy ensured that loans would be hard to find until 1515. Not a few times, Alfridh wished she could just pillage to earn the money, as her forebears had done so. Yet even pillaging cost money in the modern era.

The Artisan's Revolt (8 March 1508) was an attempt to have some of the richer peasants fill the power vacuum and reduce taxes. The ringleaders forgot that Skullsplitter was still the symbol of the Hvitserks.

The first step to returning to a state of growth was to keep expenses manageable. Instead of spending on the army or navy, Alfridh devoted her money to building up her country. She ordered the construction of a Temple to Freya in Lothian, which would not only please the gods but provide a new way to bring in taxes. A good harvest in 1510 allowed her to throw a feast and invite many of the wealthiest non-nobles in Denmark to Castle Jorvik.

The expense of a party seemed frivolous to some, but in reality, it was a shrewd technique to establish a new power base. If the nobles still plotted against her, wealthy commoners were eager to get a taste of the power nobility once enjoyed. The towns and cities of Denmark had always resented the decadence and waste of the rural lords of Denmark, so enlisting them significantly increased her support. Ossor Malmfrid made sure the military stayed loyal. As the Temple of Lothian did bring in more income, much of that income went to restore her family's prestige by enlarging and strengthening Castle Jorvik and hiring the finest poets, artists, and playwrights to come to Jorvik and decorate it. It was a Golden Age of Culture. With intellectuals, wealthy commoners, and the army giving her influence and power, she was able to call a Great Moot of the Kingdom's nobility. She had a nasty surprise in store for the faithless nobility.

Jvzqy8.jpg

The feast of Freya on 8 March 1510 is still one of the most legendary festivals in the history of Denmark. Those Norse who have adopted Freya as their patron celebrate 8 March to this day.

G9cNSA.jpg

The decisive defeat of Norway by Sweden (8 October 1510) was a source of inspiration to all Danes, but the specific ramifications only became clearer much later.

While Alfridh was throwing parties and calling Moots, she also had her agents expanding Danish influence covertly. One of her agents bribed the mayor of Ayrshire, who began openly petitioning to become part of Denmark on 4 November 1511. The mayor was promised power and wealth if he could secure the breakaway Norwegian province. Of course, Alfridh would never trust a Norwegian; she also built up the army to nearly 20,000 strong and stationed it outside Ayrshire.

The highest point of the Era of Culture was the creation of a new anthem for Denmark on 3 March 1512. The bard who created it knew what people liked: the entire lyrics of the song were "Go to Hel, Norway" over and over again to a catchy tavern tune. Of course, the modern anthem is quite different, but the actual melody is the same.

ixOXaw.jpg

The expansion of Castle Jorvik on 2 March 1514 was a symbol of the restoration of Hvitserk power and prestige. It did require a small loan, but by this time, banks were more forgiving of past Danish defaults. The decision to build a new Marketplace in Jorvik with part of the money also helped mollify people's concerns.

The Great Moot of 1514 was, in the eyes of the nobility, an admission of defeat by Alfridh. She would try to awe them into giving her more loans, which she would once again misspend. They resolutely agreed to refuse any such request unless she either married one of them or gave power to her presumably more pliable son. They got rude surprise when Alfridh announced the purpose of the Moot: the announcement of The Ban. As she decreed to the incredulous nobility, "the great houses of Denmark were faithless cowards when Denmark's queen needed their help. Well, faithlessness is now repaid. From this day forward, all nobles are hereby banned from Castle Jorvik except on the express invitation of the Queen or King. They will not serve court or in the army until this ban is rescinded or until direct application is made to the monarch in person. If they fail to pay all taxes on time, they will lose their nobility and decorate the walls of Castle Jorvik with their skulls."

At this, Ossor Malmfrid and the army rudely drove the noble families out of the Castle. Most of the officers of the nobility had already resigned their commissions, and those that remained were relieved of their commands. Wealthy commoners could become officers by paying the expenses of their regiment, and common soldiers were promoted to fill the remaining ranks. The first noblewoman to appeal the Ban was the Duchess of Saxe-Lauenberg, who fled to Denmark after she defied the Holy Roman Emperor's injunction to discipline a servant. Although she had hoped for a seat at the court, she was refused; however, she and Alfridh became good friends. Dorothea even married her son Gunnar, ensuring that the next King would benefit from strong female leadership.

Now that Alfridh's influence was secure and the banks trusted her again, it was time to act. Mercia's war with Gwynedd provided that opportunity; after answering Mercia's call, Denmark declared war on Ayrshire, which brought in Surrey, who owned the province of Kent.

x0IQY8.jpg

Dorothea of Saxe-Lauenberg, later Queen of Denmark in her own right, arrived in Denmark just after The Ban. Her arrival on 30 December 1514 gave Alfridh a powerful friend and ally. By marrying Gunnar, Dorothea had more status than she ever would have had as a mere court advisor.

The war between Mercia and Gwynedd began 26 August 1515; it marks the rise of Denmark to prominence once again, although nobody knew it at the time.

War with Ayreshire was inevitable, and the acquisition of Surrey (and the rich province of Kent) would be a major feather in the cap of Alfridh. Expecting that Gwynedd would prove a worthy foe, Alfridh timed the declaration for 9 March 1516 while Mercia would be distracted.

The war between Denmark and Ayrshire was the clearest sign that things had changed for Denmark. While everyone expected Denmark would win, most observers thought that the Danish army would demoralized and unwilling to fight. Instead, Malmfrid easily routed Ayrshire's army and settled in for a siege. The first stage of Alfridh's plan was working. Of course, Mercia would not cooperate. Instead of a long, drawn-out war with Gwynedd, Mercia overran them and conquered them a few weeks after the Battle of Ayrshire. That let Mercia declare its own war on Surrey, and with Kent being so much closer to London than Jorvik, Surrey was besieged almost instantly.

To make matters worse, it was Denmark that had to face Surrey's army. The army of Surrey was a tougher fight than Ayrshire, mostly due to Pal Pal, their fierce leader. Malmfrid still defeated the army, but while Denmark fought and died, Mercia got the glory of a relatively painless siege. Brandenburg saw an opportunity to regain its lost territories in Germany and declared its own war. The Alfridh of the past would have spent thousands of ducats fighting both wars; instead, she found a way to make an honorable peace with Brandenburg and focused on Surrey and Ayrshire. Even though Mercia acquired Kent, it was still a victory, and no loans were needed. Alfridh proved herself a savvy leader.

Eudrx3.jpg

The victory of Ayrshire (30 March 1516) set the tone for the second half of Alfridh's reign. There were no crazy technologies; just brutal, quick, and efficient force. The use of enemy artillery did attract some notice, and some Danish engineers (including Prince Gunnar) started developing their own models.

The rapid conquest of Gwynedd by Mercia on 14 April 1516 disrupted Alfridh's plans considerably. Needless to say, the Queen was not happy and resolved to get her revenge when it was possible.

The Battle of Jorvikshire proved that Malmfrid's primary quality was loyalty, not ingenuity. This battle was a slugfest that Denmark did win, but not without a significant cost in blood. 27 September 1516 was not the finest hour of Denmark, but it was an important hour nonetheless.

As soon as Alfridh got the declaration of war on 22 December 1516, her first thought was to fight on. It was Princess Dorothea who convinced her that the German coalition was too large to fight for a long period. Some Danes thought this treason, but more victories made it clear that Alfridh knew what she was doing.

DXRQsD.jpg

The surrender of Surrey on 1 June 1517 was the last time that Alfridh would ever trust Mercia. Danes had taken disproportionately more losses yet gotten no benefit. Not even a portion of the 192 ducats went to Danish coffers. Posters and graffiti started appearing in Jorvikshire that proclaimed that "Mercia is Norway!" The art style was strangely professional for alleged graffiti.

5 September 1517 was a great day for Alfridh. Without a single noble officer, the Danish army had conquered and obtained a province. Malmfrid was named Governor of Ayrshire and received a small portion of the 179 ducats received as reparations. The Marshal continued to serve the Queen, but already there were plans being made to bring a more innovative leader to the forefront.

The "defeat" of 6 October 1517 did little to actually diminish Alfridh's reign. It was shrewd diplomacy and much appreciated by the leading scholars of Europe. Most importantly, Denmark retained a claim on the lost territories.

After the defeat of Ayrshire, Alfridh's next move was to acquire Essex from Wessex. Her reasoning was simple: Essex was adjacent to London. She had no intention of accepting Mercia's insult without repayment. She used the ducats from Ayrshire to pay off the outstanding loan, making Denmark debt-free once again. When the cities wanted more autonomy from the nobility, she happily accepted, further weakening her former rivals. War with Wessex came swiftly, although victory did not. It took three battles to finally eliminate the Wessex army, and casualties were steep.

What Alfridh had not anticipated was that Wessex would not fight alone, which presented a new intriguing opportunity. Florence had long been a thorn in Denmark's side. Alfridh decided to let Wessex escape the war only paying a little money; Florence was reduced to Denmark's vassal and their former conquest of Gwynedd became Danish. Strategically, this let Denmark threaten the Marches, which might distract Mercia in their eventual conquest. Further, Derbyshire and Lancashire would eventually be Danish as well, expanding Denmark by three provinces instead of one. Technically, Denmark did not get what they want, but they did get something even better.

The war with Wessex and Florence made two things increasingly apparent: the future of warfare was artillery and that Malmfrid could not be part of this future. Alfridh needed smarter, better educated officers if she was to defeat stronger foes in the future. She founded the first Danish Academy of Military Science and authorized a series of battlefield promotions. She encouraged new cavalry officers as a possible counter to enemy artillery. She reduced inflation as well, which let her initiate another important step in her anti-Mercia policy: the construction of a Castle in Lincolnshire to protect the southern approaches to Castle Jorvik.

PnNdci.jpg

The original target of Alfridh was Essex, as this plan from 7 November 1517 shows.

The Charter of 14 March 1518 formally severed even the purely theoretical relationship between the nobility and the cities. All officials would either be elected by the people of the city or appointed by the crown. The nobility could no longer draw upon cities for income. As an institution, the nobility became weaker than they ever had been before.

This pair of battles (20 January 1519 and 12 March 1519) finally gave Alfridh the impetus to modernize the military.

d4VvQu.jpg

Victory over Wessex on 12 July 1520 left an independent Wessex but a stronger and more powerful Denmark. After Mercia was defeated, Wessex could always be conquered.

The first step in the military modernization of Denmark were the battlefield promotions authorized by Alfridh on 14 June 1521.

The foundation of the Danish Academy for Military Science (popularly called "Alfridh's Academy") was founded 29 January 1522. Prince Gunnar, who had resisted the army life in the past, was called upon to serve as an artillery instructor. As one of the finest inventors in the Kingdom, he was the perfect choice.

Wk5wiB.jpg

The Danish economy thrived after the war with Wessex, mostly due to tax revenue. This ledger is dated 4 March 1523; the next day, Alfridh reorganized the Bank of Denmark to reduce inflation to 13.47%.

The return of Holstein on 18 July 1523 totally surprised, but pleased, Alfridh, who had not expected anything of the sort.

Alfrid's series of successes only made the nobles more desperate. They tried to mount resistance to her policies; Alfridh simply ignored them. She didn't even need to execute anybody to make her point. The very first Danish applications against the Ban started to come around this time. None were granted, but ever so slowly, certain noble houses started drifting closer to Alfridh. Finally, in 1525, Halfdan, the Thane of Cornwall, applied and was accepted as Grand Admiral of the Danish Fleet and Professor at the new Naval Academy. Cornwall's long tradition of seafaring made them a valuable ally. One of Halfdan's first decisions was to give a grant to one of the finest singing sailors in the fleet to travel Denmark and throughout Europe. The people loved hearing him at pubs and taverns throughout Denmark.

The second nobleman to be lifted from the Ban was a mere Baron of Lothian, but his service to the crown was unquestionable; he dressed a soldier in Norwegian clothing and engineered an "attack" on his castle. This gave Denmark the opportunity to punish Norwegian Fife. When Norway naturally refused, war ensued. This war showed how much Denmark had learned; few Danes died, and an expedition led by Halfdan of Cornwall even sacked Norway's castle across the sea. Alfridh had driven Norway completely out of the British Isles, ensuring she would never be considered incompetent or ineffective again. That left only one major rival to her reunification of the Norse in the isles: Mercia. She looked forward to repaying them for taking Kent.

B8FkN9.jpg

The "revolt" of 14 March 1524 barely deserves the name. It did result in a few nobles returning priceless treasures to the Hvitserks, but nothing changed about Alfridh's policies.

VktdnK.jpg

The Danish Naval Academy dates from 25 October 1525, shortly after a new importation program to bring in new horses for the cavalry. The first rehabilitated nobleman was Admiral Thane Halfdan of Cornwall.

The Wandering Sailor (whose real name is lost to history) was among the most popular Danes in the world after 22 March 1526; only Queen Alfridh, Princess Dorothea, and Prince Gunnar were more beloved (in that order).

The obscure Baron who engineered Denmark's war with Norway was later named Thane of Fife; this document from 24 January 1527 is his first appearance in the history of Denmark, but not the last.

Mercia's decision not to take part in the war between Denmark and Norway ultimately sealed their fate. Some people in Denmark were angry because the King of Norway was a distant relation to the Queen of Denmark, but the hatred of Norway easily overcame that slight reluctance. The war began 1 March 1527.

Cornwall's expedition to Norway, where he shelled Norway's capital, made him a hero among the Danes. This expedition was about half over on 28 May 1528. It marks the first attack of Danish forces outside of Britain since the 15th century.

With the exception of a small island group in the northwest, Denmark had conquered all of Skotland with the treaty of 7 February 1528.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the most important things that helped me out of the bankruptcy was some lucky + stability events. Spending on buildings helped too. I picked up Admin 7 and Miliary 9 during this update as well. I don't remember when I started putting more artillery in the armies, but it will happen relatively soon after this update. It was only when I wrote this update that I remembered how bad Malmfrid actually was. :)

By the way, things are still going to get worse, if you can believe that. You'll have to read on to see what happens next. Thanks for reading and feel free to share your feedback!

Reactions:
Nice to see this one back. :)

Nice update Avindian.
In the end, you did well there. Difficult start, but you manage to beat the odds. Let's see what's happening next (I admit, the little teaser intrigue me).

Worse?! But things are just getting better!

;)

I'm definitely seeing a shift towards the British Isles. It's much easier to hold onto the land there than in Denmark proper.

I'm looking forward to Mercia receiving its comeuppance. It's always frustrating when an ally screws you over with their peace treaties.

Now I'm trying to picture how things could get worse. You've finally escaped your financial troubles, but I could see a potential invasion on Denmark proper causing serious problems or a messy succession.

The British Isles are slowly getting united beneath Danish rule, and Mercia seems like an easy target to the reinforced and remoralised Norse armies of the Hvitserks.

I must admit that I'm puzzled on the comment which hinted that things are about to get worse. A too agressive expansion leading to massive rebellions? Or maybe Mercia inviting an unexpected ally to the war?

Nice to see this one back. :)

Nice update Avindian.
In the end, you did well there. Difficult start, but you manage to beat the odds. Let's see what's happening next (I admit, the little teaser intrigue me).

Thanks for the kind words! A lot of my difficulty in the early game came as a result as not having played EUIV in roughly 1 billion years (give or take 1 billion). The new expansions forced me to rethink strategies.

I'm definitely seeing a shift towards the British Isles. It's much easier to hold onto the land there than in Denmark proper.

I'm looking forward to Mercia receiving its comeuppance. It's always frustrating when an ally screws you over with their peace treaties.

Now I'm trying to picture how things could get worse. You've finally escaped your financial troubles, but I could see a potential invasion on Denmark proper causing serious problems or a messy succession.

Mercia will get all the comeuppance they have coming, never you fear!

Worse?! But things are just getting better!

;)

The British Isles are slowly getting united beneath Danish rule, and Mercia seems like an easy target to the reinforced and remoralised Norse armies of the Hvitserks.

I must admit that I'm puzzled on the comment which hinted that things are about to get worse. A too agressive expansion leading to massive rebellions? Or maybe Mercia inviting an unexpected ally to the war?

No spoilers, but we'll just say that observant readers may be able to identify a change I am going to make in the near future which will prove... unwise.

I am clearing some projects off my plate at present, which means I should have time to do some updating in the next few days. Friday or Saturday night is your best bet, but I will try to start image editing in the next day or so.

Wow, have I fallen far behind again... the good news is that I 100% guarantee an update tomorrow! I finished the images a while ago, but got distracted by my second full playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy.