The next Europa Universalis IV expansion: Mare Nostrum!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
FecF4gi.jpg

New Europa Universalis IV Expansion Pulls Into Port Master the Sea in Mare Nostrum

The grandest of grand strategy games will soon get even larger with Mare Nostrum, a new expansion for Europa Universalis IV. Ever since its 2013 release, Paradox Development Studio has labored to fill in the romantic and turbulent history of the early modern world. Now, with Mare Nostrum, we turn our eyes to the seas.

Among the many changes coming in Mare Nostrum is the idea of "sailors". Similar to the manpower statistic you are already familiar with, sailors will be required if you want to build or repair your ships. Your navy can also be sent out on missions with instructions on when to return home, reducing your need to babysit your fleets that are far from home.

Add in the coming changes to mercenaries, the map, espionage and trade leagues and we think Mare Nostrum's release will be something to celebrate.

You can find all development diaries on the new features introduced with Mare Nostrum and the free 1.16 patch that will be released at the same time as the expansion here!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So it was Mare Nostrum and @Johan slipped.

Anyway I am really hyped for this.

Really really looking forward to the naval changes with sailors.

Reactions:
Nice

Reactions:
Huzzah! For a game set in the great period of naval and sea-trade expansion, this is a an excellent addition.

I presume that the fellow in the picture is an Ottoman or Barbary sailor of some sort? Given how the Safavids had no navy and the Mughals had no great one.

EDIT: OK, it's Hayreddin Barbarossa, the famed Ottoman pasha, admiral and Barbary corsair, whom I had previously only really known as the mentor of Dragut. Three separate people have informed me of this :p.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great!

Reactions:
Hopefully, this will not make things worse.

Reactions:
I kind of expected this to be honest, the name was leaked a while ago by @Johan on one of your streams. Anyhow, looking forward to the changes, hopefully it will not clutter the game too much like some previous expansions.

Reactions:
Trade leagues? Does this mean we finally get proper Hansa mechanics?!
And I assume with "navy missions" we finally found out the meaning of the suspicious letter icon we could see in the navy screen from earlier DDs.

Reactions:
So, will this be the DLC where we finally gain the ability to rotate the camera like in all the trailers?

Reactions:
Looking forward to see what's new.

Reactions:
Was any ottoman / barbary coast admiral depicted as Poseidon / Neptune as the picture seems to imply?

Because if I remember correctly it was the genoese admiral Andrea Doria who was depicted as Neptune (with the trident) in the timeframe of EU IV.

Angelo_Bronzino_-_Portrait_of_Andrea_Doria_as_Neptune_-_WGA3261.jpg

Reactions:
Looking forward! =D

Reactions:
Im interested to see what trade leagues are and if this expansion will make naval worthwhile finally

Reactions:
Is that a strait between Tangier and Gibraltar/Cadiz I see? About freakin Time! Can be seen clearly at 0.41 in the Trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions:
No release date? Not that I really expected one.

Trade leagues may be interesting. The mercenary changes probably have to do with the Condottieri income shown in previous DD screens.