• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Hello there people!

It’s me again, this time with what will be a short and image lacking AAR. I got an idea for a short story I wanted to try out, but I’ve moved houses and the internet won’t get here before sometime next week. So my desktop is without internet and that is where the game is...

Trying a short narrative this time. Hope it is well received! :D

I’ve written on my desktop and copied over the document to my ipad. Posting in a bit from my cell phone internet. Fingers crossed.

upload_2019-6-14_21-8-58.png
upload_2019-6-14_21-9-23.png

Did that work? Cell phone internet and posting with the iPad is horrible. :p

As you can see, a departure from my regular style. Quite possibly not as good as my normal output, but one got to try something new now and then, no? :D

I always appreciate experimenting with a new narrative format. And rest assured it worked! Haha never seen an aar posted like that.

Now the question is. Are we going to get a birds eye view? Or will this be a narrative of a more personal nature. Will be interesting to see more!

I always appreciate experimenting with a new narrative format. And rest assured it worked! Haha never seen an aar posted like that.

Now the question is. Are we going to get a birds eye view? Or will this be a narrative of a more personal nature. Will be interesting to see more!
I very happy to hear that! :)

I'm without internet and in the middle of moving, so not all that much time for playing. We'll see where it goes. The story ends where I am right now, in 504 AUC. If I find an angle and the time, be sure I will write more. Probably from another person's view, this old man is at his end soon I think. :D ;)

Worked well

Definitely a moral about hubris there and how the generations do not listen to each other.

I'm in agreement with everyone else that it worked very well.

The attitude of the grandson, to me at least, reads geninuinely of the Roman confidence (arrogance?) in the face of war and defeat - 'Unless we are utterly destroyed we are not beaten'

A scinitlating little AAR morsel have you delivered.

Worked well

Definitely a moral about hubris there and how the generations do not listen to each other.
Thanks my friend, I’m glad you liked it!
I'm in agreement with everyone else that it worked very well.

The attitude of the grandson, to me at least, reads geninuinely of the Roman confidence (arrogance?) in the face of war and defeat - 'Unless we are utterly destroyed we are not beaten'

A scinitlating little AAR morsel have you delivered.
Thanks! Seems I was too harsh on myself. :D Glad it read like that, that was in my mind. That and young people’s hubris and glorification of war. :)

"Every generation thinks itself smarter than the last, and wiser than the next."

Once again, Nikolai, you show us that a piece need not be epic in length or all-encompassing in detail to be a good story. You manage to work in a lot in such a brief space -- the naive eagerness of the young lad contrasting with the jaded weariness of the elder; hubris, peril, and deliverance, which swiftly becomes hubris once again when the old lessons are lost; and conflicting undercurrents of hope and uncertainty as Rome once again faces her destiny.

"Every generation thinks itself smarter than the last, and wiser than the next."

Once again, Nikolai, you show us that a piece need not be epic in length or all-encompassing in detail to be a good story. You manage to work in a lot in such a brief space -- the naive eagerness of the young lad contrasting with the jaded weariness of the elder; hubris, peril, and deliverance, which swiftly becomes hubris once again when the old lessons are lost; and conflicting undercurrents of hope and uncertainty as Rome once again faces her destiny.
Wow, I’m lost for words. Thank you so much for this confidence boost, I needed it today! :)

Sounds like Rome nearly had a very early version of Teutonberger Wald.

Very well written and adds a nice personal touch to the campaigns. As others have noted, I enjoy the arrogance of the youngster, knowing that Rome won, then, surely how close it was doesn't matter! How easy to see the glory in war when separated by time and/or distance.

We like to think of the Roman legions as the finest military force of their day (and there is some truth to that), but even they weren't immune from the effects of ambushes, incompetent leadership, and simple grinding attrition. On the other hand, the early Republic always seemed to have a phenomenal ability to rebound from the most shocking losses where other states might have surrendered or collapsed.

It sounds like the Gallic campaign was a grueling and tedious affair. Let's hope Rome's other rivals don't get any ideas while the legions are recuperating...

Very well written and adds a nice personal touch to the campaigns. As others have noted, I enjoy the arrogance of the youngster, knowing that Rome won, then, surely how close it was doesn't matter! How easy to see the glory in war when separated by time and/or distance.
True, so true. :D Arrogance of the youth, jadedness of the old, tried and true story!
We like to think of the Roman legions as the finest military force of their day (and there is some truth to that), but even they weren't immune from the effects of ambushes, incompetent leadership, and simple grinding attrition. On the other hand, the early Republic always seemed to have a phenomenal ability to rebound from the most shocking losses where other states might have surrendered or collapsed.

It sounds like the Gallic campaign was a grueling and tedious affair. Let's hope Rome's other rivals don't get any ideas while the legions are recuperating...
It is indeed true. I can tell you there were a lot of neighbours making claims on me at this point, fwiw. ;)

There was a very good board game - if incredibly cut throat (or it certainly could be) - called the Republic of Rome where, if Rome was in more than four wars by the end of a "turn" all players (playing different senatorial factions) lost. This speech sort of reminded me of this.

I will see though this is a great political speech - high on volume, short on policy. Precisely the sort of speech as someone living in the UK in 2019 I am even more intimately familiar with than in "normal" times. Which is a long-winded say of saying it is very believable political speech :)

There was a very good board game - if incredibly cut throat (or it certainly could be) - called the Republic of Rome where, if Rome was in more than four wars by the end of a "turn" all players (playing different senatorial factions) lost. This speech sort of reminded me of this.

I will see though this is a great political speech - high on volume, short on policy. Precisely the sort of speech as someone living in the UK in 2019 I am even more intimately familiar with than in "normal" times. Which is a long-winded say of saying it is very believable political speech :)
Too bad I will never lower myself to become a politician then. :p Thanks for the praise though, glad it worked! This whole AAR is basically me trying out new ways to write snapshots of the game. :)
Time to go full Caeser on those pesky Gauls!
First they must be reconquered! :p Which I may or may not have managed already. ;)