• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 9: Grandeur and Splendor (1478-1483)
Chapter 9: Grandeur and Splendor (1478-1483)

The Dual Monarchy would, through the success and strength of their wooden wall, claim strategic control of the North Sea. Scandinavian naval capabilities, for the time being, were absolutely crippled. Through this thalassocracy, the Dual Monarchy were truly able to extend their influence from one side of the ocean to another. The Crown reminded their rivals who was truly the dominant power in Northern Europe, and for some, it was enough to humble them.

ma98TdV6vNAOSEgkI3k8v_wv8HCLekpXyFcubXtdeumQKPfb-uAIWtAdlOHvJuoTYBPPJaCCbuwKtOX20HO_LADAhvw39YNXUmK6eBAZs8jNQkmhDVIP0YJOp4qbBVVYS_7Iit3x

Allied to the Austrians, the Houses of Habsburg and d’Anjou were connected through political alliance and marriage, with the heir to the throne married to an Austrian princess. Even between their spheres of influence between Western and Central Europe, the Habsburgs required a call to arms to the Dual Monarchy, looking to launch an intervention against an expansionist Bohemian crown. Queen Margaret would accept the call to arms to aid her Austrian allies in maintaining stability within the Holy Roman Empire, sending an entire army to aid in the Imperial intervention.

WyjbbbgiegKyVgQX7LJufQkIe7AZuozcXshScvMwJUKxW-4Toav1gEl9URc-c-SSaggVyp15yrNY81tn6eWFPSVPHR1qUywpOBROoAZ1hysJ5U18syQo_qi0B5cVMJJWTQm7sDk1

2ifFFwKiaep8iVQFUg11QH8HKbd9DFZ3jm3Mg-BxZ7ATIqFxS3Dv6kO7kSFe3vnXI6tDXc7foQCPV7qKOlWOGVzScGwb-EurJ3ESSzNHjz3WuKSaRjBmKt9NbkEyxui1bXf-1jNp

Through pleasing economic growth occurring alongside a strong cabinet, conditions were met for an extra amount of revenue to flow into the coffers of the Dual Monarchy. This extra revenue flowing into the two kingdoms would come to please the crown and parliament greatly, who remained grateful for their choice of ministers.

YPVFR0MN2o7k2KLpfwiLCYlbhv-GNwywNYo-sIKojGNsMGvOZtMF7wop0JUc0iX3aDnPu7-bbBlm9Y9z4yBg0uMqnQK7lqN2f6VBhREYzCT0PuEz8GeWDDeI1XnHGxzS0FJs6ykj

JSxH3l6icIJSJwd9_7TYAgsewmlm_Lt4QC1Pc4sYeb0A6FSc8EeIaj3VdhkUjGZkqiGUPxCdZxMCXVYYHKMwasamtjGniszh0pDqeh4Sk9Fk-_zlLcTWGWdbyp-QLJG4KzxZy5c0

Even with the union between England and France, some within the nation would feel left out due to parliament’s stance towards improving relations between the two kingdoms along with the Queen herself having a tough stance upon her Francophile heritage and her deep loyalty to England. Some governors within Wales and England demanded more and more concessions from the government or risk open rebellion. Queen Margaret would break away from her fixation upon maintaining order and granted there concessions, looking to look after her own people and not risk any chance for resentment against the crown to grow into open rebellion.

JvgZjQA8Sog_L1cdTWAeI8EtCv80hBOhkqSRM5fWdFdcOQowjEiQUDRYlMAEUTq-b1mZKYhqFo8sPVZk7M25tHByODzasEDlhNlr3wdrHSEUH_fq90IAYf84r95mxJcHoki_AVNl

R8xQQ5rRtJ5XULnxQyKCbYjWZwYP24xjYGoAk8bIhu6EviNvcwuaduzw6CwfUrJAo6hR-uyvsAoPHfwW585d4s-B5hM4LGxadfhb_pu0ro7ljfwsJEwcCI1i5aK-GrUZNN_pbfy6

Bohemia would be sandwiched between two different conflicts and opposing interests, who through decades of warmongering within Central Europe, had brought down the wrath of the Holy Roman Emperor. Already stuck between regional conflict, the Imperial intervention would come down upon Bohemia like thunder, and Bohemia would be crushed right. Once Prague was captured, peace would come down hard upon Bohemia, largely breaking their power and curbing their overwhelming might within the Holy Roman Empire as a means to stop their aggression. The Habsburgs would come to thank the Dual Monarchy for their assistance, something which only deepened the relationship between the two countries.

wy_bvUm8HJXcxwjOeTgyn0UVH7ySpabb-Ioi60u-AMnt2ON21ptnXmV3Vu_7c2l3qKWgjEIlzS29POmXNPlS4UTuWeFgdD5uKdI46ETpeSMaIj6v8tMjIqM0GA9728_f1e0NmGne

vO-x0gEImViS4EbNmpsge-rrUk3wUmD1AQCG6GeU1SqLTgxucIq8p_TJuUIKefkpKLW8khxCkr_B7CVWAM5bl-EfB2FinJUc4EofVJPQNbmmbpPmCaUhTIpdbkD5TdKrMgz_hije

After a long reign of expanding her dominion, Queen Margaret I would rule over a powerful kingdom that had earned a reputation of having some of the most content and loyal people in the world. Under her reign, Queen Margaret had made leaps and bounds in expanding the power of the crown benevolently and accomplishing what was once thought impossible. France, once a bitter enemy, would perhaps become the most loyal partner and subject of the Dual Monarchy. Ireland, once made up of feuding clans, were united under the Irish Lords that simply owed their entire existence of power and prestige to the Queen. To drive a wedge between the Queen and her subjects was virtually impossible, and it reflects well upon the Dual Monarchy in the eyes of the world. This time was to be remembered as one of the finest eras in English history, where a foreign born Queen would transforming a kingdom on the brink of collapse into the dominant power in Western Europe.

yZWsuryCgvJoChlFJuSEm5_7-y_YccoJ-wnshK8j3nJeM4mmajD5VrslYLyrnqntWIAkKFdD1TaDmI9UoN-3wLpeUCF1ZOiovIxZchmldE9N91pBoTbQigGgk_mOLF5VCDUygTWq

mMHy7o1qd3eFhsHMHH5Nhm0--a8gECZgbvhlayF2pFC7pwjSl6dDLZ4uVck8xnXiGuf1pcFg6oKEkMWcXUqaPzf7Njm5TfFAp90xfRqPwWTCXklsVW0J38u29JruGZtide5K5dPc

With the economy continuing to soar, good governance and a flourishing treasury would encourage the nobility and business of the realm to donate cash to the monarchy out of pure patriotism or in exchange for the sales or transfer of honorary titles and positions. With the extra income, Queen Margaret would generously donate it to the poor and disadvantaged across the Dual Monarchy, founding charities with the assistance of the church in providing for her subjects. Such righteous and pious activities would contribute to the Queen’s reputation and popularity within the Dual Monarchy. Through her own virtue, along with the triumph of her reign and righteous morality, these factors would greatly contribute to possible sainthood within the church.

h2VU2hT4cZQX8EFlk-GUlSx99ay_PzgrPn9c69hDEuGJ8qS5fG2QlteDvUGEMJvxOXv75c31D2YckuCjcjIYDCYZD96S-rhXcY96y0v1Qi4AhEkFY8drKk3GQbL2knsmFZbDoHUy

PesqCpv0F569dheqr4LrXgtr6ZI-2epUzVvBfpepK8IP41mmDdqFkBju5jPzbcKB_nInBdftAIIXYCY27rFvY-JQqatbJOMhCOdFiKkJQqWBowAqrfNkBK9aHLB73iE3JBRAXNwY

Outside of the Dual Monarchy, the shining beacon of her crown along with her cultural and political success would see tremendous success. European monarchies would begin to become impressed upon the ideals of the monarchy, yet the Dual Monarchy would begin to make a shining example as a champion of honor and justice and champion these ideals. English expatriates would become sought-after for positions of trust due to the monarchy’s adherence to due and rejecting corruption.

h4hEb4HAqM1EYbJkZyXH2qQ1JPXK9qyc6DQ6mqvefT8-OA8FX1PT2Ze7cgWnZQ1PIT1OWaI4_eXXEGKOeNs55ZByxnWEGSDAXhiH2XMSiPWhdcWGhI8jIS-vs8qG6knPNGpqPEVx

Holding a tremendous sway among their own domestic markets, the crown and parliament would work in tandem to develop upon the economic benefit of the growing economic trend within both England and France. Unrestricted trade regulations in a few provinces, developing markets in demand and the combined growth and potential of both English and French economies would lead to a massive growth in the economy. Margaret I would come to end the economic depression that was the Great Slump upon the first few years of taking power through the intricate use of combining both the French and English economies, but now, the prospect of advancing economic interest was something that interested the monarchy deeply.

altgo1PkGVN3apqEGL8eB89mi3xgRI9n2MzKrc4KxpizP52aa5BBpQCxIzOHfQQh8Ypbo7YEoDXLPGvzPX54GU44FMo852ic_wDg3I2A9pStYTg5BRjNi-XN7nuHdpQieYjQq3hV

-LtmiVy2Qv9wudfE6KgG-DZZV64nwHVNHFAnYua94Fjhi3BPm5krCOYCMPDFvIVLPyTs5COKrpqAPafsNZNcAZsBxTXyQ7JWWsXoGxJanZ6A42hvHW0UqfNQOMJ5Z8CUmVF-by7D

With his realm destroyed and with a far less capable successor to the previously formidable Burgundian powerhouse that once threatened the Kingdom of France, the incompetent Joseph I and his scheming attempts to regain the glory of his lost kingdom had doomed the nation, alongside making some very powerful enemies among the aristocracy. In a matter of years, he had plunged the kingdom into civil war, further dooming Burgundy to another period of chaos. The nearby Duchy of Savoy, having their own ambitions and sensing opportunity, declared war upon Savoy to extend their reach into the valuable Burgundian lands.

syRH0Whrq2R3AyEBLPnfP4FjZJ9ldESJqSdnOwazw1BW0VzgOMdQS1Uq-UwIXMhdv0rUSktfJMMxoAED2tM84Tr4FvLIurGq8mjIQLHbVLFo0_oSV3ZZnHL2tdJ3ZS8cIEBBnCmq

LKKyaA7WQC39OhLuHzJbUxK6sUIGZ64Zg3KFYiaazwJF2qGDNglMvKjiQreNb8HTjxrm7IoZBq5UBUDGH6Wsa0f7o_F1J3xo1b6rEsiAd56QS8TtvPyuoNAPUOwJI91fg78e4m-M

With the years passing by, the relationship between England and France would shift from one of former hostility to a friendship that was once thought to be unthinkable. Contrary to prior assumptions, England and France would view one another as natural allies, and due to the diplomatic approach to the French question, the Dual Monarchy would foster a friendship between two enemies.

8JkHoFfPV59og6Y9FT3-GnivENaBRGN1Vn06VA7KFNY04bFww-CZgdnUsAh7P5i6AuBVAbu0zmyAy2KNmj3MYjQHbRBJR0xHGXmnC1YDB0SHqdq-zDxYvDYgwUjbH_Gc5nrcbjp-

Since the end of the Hundred Years War and the unification of the crowns, England had remained in a close relationship with the French. The nobility of France and England caroused and worked together towards a brighter future and common good, and with a florishing economy, it had come time to solidify the friendship.

eVun5Xac8DLvuUDgYUWJvYgXtbniAf6_B7id16B2Q1qKqSo2mhlUNefFDfN2UprHjdKGilB3kC2gkYZiSy4cW8MEC7ZBiWnY9fRt1setMi9qu_8aamGwC8OQvRMsuj-vvcZjebAy

zuXMHBhkTsQLXfZKiVXEB6Ii4bqESsl9u26sfgV2KRLoggE_0hkDrUrh4-XpEio8dZb1aOwVnpnEOdNwqWOViqM3uvZ_SyBbVkNprjRig_ikJndKvcIGFOFniEOhowrB4aaBXFGv

To further solidify the relationship between the two kingdoms, a Grand Palace would become constructed to symbolise the great cooperation between the nations. A question remained upon the location of the Palace, with parliament arguing upon deciding if the palace was to be built in London or Paris. In the end, London would become selected as the site where the Palace was to be built, where a site would be selected just outside of metropolitan London. Margaret would begin to prepare the treasury for the extremely expensive venture, believing that London was the ideal site for the palace for symbolic purposes as the centre of the Dual Monarchy’s future empire.

Q9x1Nnvc5wyPR5hRW3rB1ZCPkOxLuFeEmurw6YWB_IVQNq1F4G8yp4TTxNnpLp4Y5g4h30zZYXSXej8GFmzBO5qFIpvJKPv7WuMseG_Cq0ZjVT8uKfbs89hehv7jPum1WjTp8Wmj

kA9vuV6-SDA176eCFTuwxfVNU8nF1TDBdZf87VUEjDe-H27pona9MDEm-RhAQ7-WggvhYPaBbbcIlfHgtFT5PRKHxpcL-jBV7FDUHCTJS8K465oleokcfDr4WdePt9OlURkatLic

With years of extreme monetary investment, both the French and English would complete the Grand Palace just outside of London on a large estate. Both English and French engineers would provide an elegant touch to a hardy stylle. The toiling labor would take years to complete, but once it was finished ,the palace stood proudly and cast a shadow of grandeur upon London. The Palace was fit for an Emperor, and while grand, work would continue with the royal treasury being pushed to its absolute limit.

k7bYLzxZk7AdPTVQTQmRLbqfAxelq3dhTIaUYpHsf14maTuMzdb52_qSNPWompXily3Seo8EKdYgDLwmG5DsoDGC0f-JuMKKQ8vVgTWTOBIT9wkQp0TkIb7SFo8DYK0NtLvk2rl5

eHcCckmwMjQapoU8u4nIiuD9BvEjcCU2jdHH8TOkyC4JRZarphF3bpymGnw73gpxxvy39GY_cZnhW2YmXuw3Xtvz6KrkI9r7zdJQXcsJ6EhepXqysdjf0h_G0q7fyXLHd8HArTxU

With further investment, the economy would soon enter a recession after years of unstoppable economic growth as the coffers of the nation would become completely dry. It would take several years for the economy to rebound, but the work was done. A palace worthy of the Dual Monarchy was built, a building worthy of the grandeur and splendor of the combined might of England and France. Such an action may pay tribute or silence the French aristocracy that still held doubt about the dynastic union, and perhaps bring forth greater cooperation or even tempering rebellious minds.

This would come with a price upon the economy. Decades worth of economic growth and investment were used upon the construction and upgrade of the Grand Palace, with enough of a financial blow that the Dual Monarchy was forced to take a small loan to ensure that the monarchy did not fall into bankruptcy due to their own decadent wishes. With the monarchy being near the apex of their power, a changing political climate and a final chance of conquest would see the Queen reach the apex of her reign....with whispers of succession being on the horizon.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Tried as I might, I have researched into what could have been an interesting concept of the Grand Palace that would suit the opulent nature of the Dual Monarchy's prestige and such in a realistic manner. I have considered an early Palace of the Versailles, with its tremendous gardens, but that would not make sense given the nature of metropolitan London or even just outside of the city itself as its terrain would not make sense. Instead, rather then showing what the palace could be now, I might approach the visualization of the palace later on in future chapters. :)

Surprised you chose London as the site for the grand palace, given the propagandistic value building such in Paris may have granted, cementing one's claim to the French throne.
Tried as I might, I have researched into what could have been an interesting concept of the Grand Palace that would suit the opulent nature of the Dual Monarchy's prestige and such in a realistic manner. I have considered an early Palace of the Versailles, with its tremendous gardens, but that would not make sense given the nature of metropolitan London or even just outside of the city itself as its terrain would not make sense. Instead, rather then showing what the palace could be now, I might approach the visualization of the palace later on in future chapters. :)
Perhaps it could be an expansion of the Palace of Westminster, given the prominence of parliament in the English monarchy? For example, Wikipedia has a lovely picture of Westminster during the reign of Henry VIII:

I am incredibly amused by the idea that English expatriates would ever be sought out for their trustworthiness and good character. :D

Some thoughts, if they’d be useful, from someone with a degree in architecture. :)

there’s a lot more scope for palaces in London in 1490 owing to the fact that the place was still tiny. Pretty much extended from Westminster to the Tower (approximately) and the surrounding areas were all still semi rural or full on rural. Hampstead and the like weren’t developed until the end of the 19th century. South of the river, there was very little save from the oldest parts of Southwark until approaching the 19th century. Until then, the land was just atrocious for building on (which is why the theatres were all on the South Bank – keep all the disreputable activities in what was basically a swamp – and later on why the underground doesn’t really go south of the river).

quite a few palaces sat around London, like Hampton Court, Nonsuch and Richmond. In Fulham there is the summer palace of the Bishop of London.

Coming into the 16th century, we’re much more on the cusp of a great period of stately architecture rather than in one presently. Palaces in England in what would be the early Tudor era remain fairly medieval in character. Not until the end of the c16 do continental influences from France (and to a lesser extent Italy) start to come in in the terms of the Classicising influence of the Renaissance. With the French contribution to English culture it’s highly likely this exchange happens faster, so England gets Classicist palaces earlier – and would certainly be affected by the French taste for formal gardens. I would imagine that any great palace built c. 1490 would probably look something like St James’s or a slightly primitive Hampton Court, but would be massively upgraded as the century played out. Whether it ultimately ends up looking like Versailles is sort of a political question that can’t be fully answered until the 17th century or so. But either way I think whatever’s built at this stage would be unrecognisable even a century ahead. :)

Surprised you chose London as the site for the grand palace, given the propagandistic value building such in Paris may have granted, cementing one's claim to the French throne.

Perhaps it could be an expansion of the Palace of Westminster, given the prominence of parliament in the English monarchy? For example, Wikipedia has a lovely picture of Westminster during the reign of Henry VIII:
I am incredibly amused by the idea that English expatriates would ever be sought out for their trustworthiness and good character. :D

Some thoughts, if they’d be useful, from someone with a degree in architecture. :)

there’s a lot more scope for palaces in London in 1490 owing to the fact that the place was still tiny. Pretty much extended from Westminster to the Tower (approximately) and the surrounding areas were all still semi rural or full on rural. Hampstead and the like weren’t developed until the end of the 19th century. South of the river, there was very little save from the oldest parts of Southwark until approaching the 19th century. Until then, the land was just atrocious for building on (which is why the theatres were all on the South Bank – keep all the disreputable activities in what was basically a swamp – and later on why the underground doesn’t really go south of the river).

quite a few palaces sat around London, like Hampton Court, Nonsuch and Richmond. In Fulham there is the summer palace of the Bishop of London.

Coming into the 16th century, we’re much more on the cusp of a great period of stately architecture rather than in one presently. Palaces in England in what would be the early Tudor era remain fairly medieval in character. Not until the end of the c16 do continental influences from France (and to a lesser extent Italy) start to come in in the terms of the Classicising influence of the Renaissance. With the French contribution to English culture it’s highly likely this exchange happens faster, so England gets Classicist palaces earlier – and would certainly be affected by the French taste for formal gardens. I would imagine that any great palace built c. 1490 would probably look something like St James’s or a slightly primitive Hampton Court, but would be massively upgraded as the century played out. Whether it ultimately ends up looking like Versailles is sort of a political question that can’t be fully answered until the 17th century or so. But either way I think whatever’s built at this stage would be unrecognisable even a century ahead. :)
Thank you very much for the information.:D:) I was certainly looking at various influences for what the palace could inevitably end up looking like, or even having the thought of an extension to the already existing Windsor Castle. I feel like having a more central royal seat of power would certainly benefit the future rulers that are to come, especially since there is bound to be reforms and potential centralization of the government. For the time-being, the Grand Palace is one hell of a architectural marvel, enough that it almost bankrupted the Dual Monarchy. Future Chapters would likely expand further upon the Palace.

I feel like having a more central royal seat of power would certainly benefit the future rulers that are to come, especially since there is bound to be reforms and potential centralization of the government.
To reiterate, I'm just surprised that Margaret and her court didn't choose to relocate to Paris for the new center of power, especially given how tumultuous the London populace could be! That all being said, I suppose the Dual Monarchy will have a stronger English bent to it? Eager to see how things will unfold :)

Actually I’ve just had a thought: Margaret founded Queens’ College, Cambridge (which I guess in this timeline would just be Queen’s College singular) so, even though not a palace, that could provide some idea of what a palace might look like to start with? The Old Court is from 1448 so a bit earlier than our current period, but in essence just another monument to her power and prestige even as a consort. This is what it looked like in 1690, by which point it had been expanded a fair amount, but the Old Court you can see in the front of the image on the left. Cloister Court behind is Tudor, so actually maybe more relevant for the current period.

To reiterate, I'm just surprised that Margaret and her court didn't choose to relocate to Paris for the new center of power, especially given how tumultuous the London populace could be! That all being said, I suppose the Dual Monarchy will have a stronger English bent to it? Eager to see how things will unfold :)

more than the Parisine People? ;)

more than the Parisine People? ;)
At this point in time, I'd say so! I could be completely wrong, but off the top of my head, I think Paris only becomes unruly during later centuries, with the Jacobins and such. Before then, I can't recall them turning away rulers, starting revolutions, etc. like London did on several occasions (the Anarchy with Matilda, Wat Tyler's Uprising, etc.).

At this point in time, I'd say so! I could be completely wrong, but off the top of my head, I think Paris only becomes unruly during later centuries, with the Jacobins and such. Before then, I can't recall them turning away rulers, starting revolutions, etc. like London did on several occasions (the Anarchy with Matilda, Wat Tyler's Uprising, etc.).
Well there were the whole French Wars of Religion, I'm sure the Parisian people rose up at least once.

One must always build and have a beautiful palace to remind the people of their place, and to give to posterity a sublime monument of grandeur that will stand the test of time!

I think London makes sense, if only due to being a more effective port. With that aim in mind I would posit the site of Greenwich palace as a goodly place for this grand construction. To begin with it actually had a palace on-site during this period, and there were plans for a grander one that never came to fruition.

Of course I am entirely biased here due to certain family history, but what can you do? :D

Chapter 10: End of an Era (1483-1486)
Chapter 10: End of an Era (1483-1486)

Through the years he had been kind to the nation, fate had other plans for the woman who made all of this possible. Despite ruling a healthy nation, Queen Margaret’s health would begin to deteriorate since the start of the decade. Even for a woman now in her fifties, she was starting to appear more frail and sickly when in the presence of others. The Queen knew that she was entering into the twilight years of her life, and now, she was more determined than ever to leave her impact...

MYbX63oZFiUPklNGlLLIS9IuOYSgcc7hQ0GkQ64w4vJiCyMu_MrRTPAhHEIA38qCNN84OX9H4HPgAmxZnD314N52yqCXVtbyY6L9rcJAFW1zn_j3Yxa4g0q-k9amDcMbRPMIPZtL

The Swiss Confederacy would look to reclaim their lost territories from the Duchy of Savoy. While able to hold their own against the Italian Duchy, the Swiss would seek the assistance of the Dual Monarchy to turn the tide of the victory. Importantly, should the Dual Monarchy aid the Swiss, the Swiss promised the Burgundian land that was recently conquered by the Savoyard army. With Burgundy cut in half already and the chance to solidify the conquest in one fell swoop, the crown and parliament would eagerly join the war.

jf_KNFR2cePT242om5Y0anF3M3dEqmxd72VZnWYE-glVirK7KpTWYB0Ika2cGDamXQ3mXtPaiCLmCtc_lFGhyg4K3RwhZieTxwlwNu7fCGs-4hejr4hmVUYn2D06b-BeymrhVcCT
1qs9CxXT6UrXvtpIxExiCfFyDTZ-AIjytQjo-DJYczwLTXRXSKPOrZv2RT2gGRUEDRw693GA5N5REW7UCiXQ4bZK5nU_5qhyCgpu3sCOuNFIs4-dLN66LV3py_b-poHBeat50mWX

Within a matter of months since joining the war, the Swiss and Angevin alliance would completely overpower the Savoyards in several crucial areas surrounding the Alps. The Burgundian provinces and Savoy itself was now under siege, while the held defensive control along the Alps as they regained crucial territories.

jXwYBd-dO2nN0P_4HRRe6J-XRFNHEWcStALTGXGsvCqA75QrFup2rputPVGJeDMUF4CLmV8FJoDmoPqaItIzzP3t8x1qxDe10uikPQVY6CTBIu1kagkZ8MXQl-L72FePcG56LvR-

9l2u2EmgKNm4t96eAnDb1gs7oOCVJtVqrl-jio4W7QexRXXAAGheCMFMZyOrTwwrZdk0uCirr2YntpiewxTDcg7eQCE4NKna508nkhwsruG7PLnfbUGQRSnVUU-AFChc5t-qvWjb

After a six month siege of Savoy that would eventually result in victory for the alliance, the Duchy of Savoy was dealt with a harsh defeat that would see the gains that they had made suddenly reduced to nothing. The Swiss would regain the remainder of their lost territories while also forcing Savoy to surrender the Burgundian provinces to the Dual Monarchy. Grateful for the assistance, the Dual Monarchy remained friendly to their germanic allies within the Holy Roman Empire.

JGQz0djrUP9BEpi8HDQWtWfE94INBTfBH34nvEuS7BUFP5DADqIp7AJ0Xz7cSbbEFXkqQaeHUqmClveiK2XvBWnCpO2ZWRZNu3Bzv_lyPj2OtUltVcKws727ivEHnnBR1LDOddrq

With the decimation of Burgundy already having been halfway completed by the Savoyards, the Burgundian realm was in no shape or form to stop the inevitable. Queen Margaret prepared for a rapid and overwhelming conquest of the last remnants of Burgundy, finally putting an end to the proud duchy that once threatened to break France. While this would anger many of the European realms, it was a necessary war that would completely solidify the Dual Monarchy as the uncontested power in Western Europe and eliminate any threats to the legitimacy of the nation. Queen Margaret looked upon the poor state of Burgundy when asked about the Duchy by an advisor and merely made one remark. “They are already dead. We will bury them”

_mFzlkmm1IVfhj3A5x7elm1gYvrTieIpKjIyoZ3qP8U8AzMq7K9Ymiz-y4a2Xcs7LqhDAfUrch4Bvg1ChimPymeUP17pdU6NLQ5fj5F_9QEsO9QKR_4JtCCYpnmWtrGSi-T0KAN1

With the Conquest of Burgundy already underway, the Kingdom of the Isles would unfortunately side with the decaying continental duchy. Their efforts to actually protest against the conquest would amount to nothing however as the Irish Lords would merely blockade their island kingdom. Along with already dealing with a rebellion within the Inner Hebrides, the Isles' support of Burgundy would greatly annoy Queen Margaret, who had allowed their independence only for them to ally with the Dual Monarchy’s sworn enemies.

WMPdBO8nIKOtH7zktJIRZefLYh6kJ5Ut4Y9Jr0EF3qCirRs6jDpRGDn2-f31T9-RHqZuj_6AKRQfPQoWvhQ4O8z5dIr0zjJdsdK6ryA4S6rbVqAWz4KsXF_1C1BxQHQmo4w62DES

r6IBk4V5h9H1IGTjO0Ows_SJpHhisAee4RGWmzmLf_4Yo5Wv95cYmCuT09CZAaF_pAPwuuKj3d0Wn_l8iGy93IdeaULTnPU6IJOHXp9t3JPfo6SZwDMs62suuAYibFtvr5GIG_Er

With overwhelming force and a rapid conquest of the Burgundian realm, what had remained of the once proud Burgundian nation would come to an end. Their only efforts at resistance would cultimate to a nearly three month long siege of Dijonnais, where Joseph I and the few men that remained loyal to him would make their last stand during the final day of the siege. With the fall of the city and the death of the man who wished he was a king, Burgundy itself would finally collapse from the inside.

2V-L50oeSstwyRkBWl_4KjfHF6GjFh-KMlN4ziYgIYPuCXjIUL_n4VxSpBLcPtquoWP8pNrUEcPaepOAwxRFzcAzEmgr5j5agGWpBkUm_CEQZ5GgQDkTOkl0fCHsiaZUXiDXZQfH

d1zvQUJqTtErsP_DEXpf7V1UOQC5gU3rBguTIvjWWzSc9vBoyTEt4MKJbsBpFc0IczlMCwbQmj65Ss-sbXI1LbIsG8DOmYpLd1cmA_TWTglgqWm0G6eLWIEM8Ka6DqYvGZYWhvs-

Burgundy was dead. Queen Margaret I would make good on her promise of burying the fallen nation, accepting nothing more than complete annexation to the Dual Monarchy. Burgundy would then pay the remainder of their treasury to the victors and revoked whatever claims they once held on their other territories. With the death of Joseph I, the House of Bourgogne would come to an end. The remainder of the region would become absorbed into the Dual Monarchy.

KGrgcPsquVvB9wRlsOoyktVzNbboirMLEclSU1XY7NpDM_uJzNb30yN5gonDciyAgoiFwsDB7htCDWIZbF77qeFWFnPMPriC7bxq8gLSDsqoQX0eOfhH56UzH5aUV0X6LYomSOkY

Burgundy would finally become destroyed, once being a seemingly unstoppable force within Western Europe that once threatened the Dual Monarchy itself. Their fall from grace within just under twenty years would become almost legendary, but the effects were absolute and felt right across Western Europe. Feeling flushed from their victory, Queen Margaret pushed her luck. Hainaut would surrender the border province of Cambresis in exchange for peace, allowing the Dual Monarchy to expand their power at the expense of greatly antagonizing the Low Countries as an aggressive power.

0_obGvb26ntgmWkQI8yd-ldGGv-EzSL3E-ReiegyCuHIkmS7vXLzZ2l465dyvERTSx_R3jeHELq31u9XxnI_Ul0cFL8hE8W5er4R_AZkz2AoLRynNytc2Ip-uqXFBOM2Cab2OBJI

ayfT-NMVwVm3ytLwvi5lnYXpYNEt6b-aFA187E7Xi3Pj0ElvZ0YAjuQcaTb20QLIw1lP0YfNS5pt9lqoOE6R_qKlXs53KTAmcKUmrw9l6OUxU78B4BKB71pjqG5JW52yTpE4aW6J

Nevers would not submit to the Queen’s demands, and as a result, the remains of their small duchy were completely absorbed into the Dual Monarchy after a brief unceremonious war.

G1sv-NzlAYKSVBho3P8Jg-UWuBZEXwi_xwS2X4gHjKQzNuKXT-8I9iL-qItY8YX8kc3HiQ_DUThU8RF5UQDdC7if8wiiI0TJKWY3fivQAeD9PPISuWpwkGetd2CuvNUL9s70zDW5

tlXvtzM34gUtNye2K5d1QuX6PUbj9eJ20Y17bU3GZX0tnPk-JKnGRsKEZNUZs7nDZwBmAihnE2fKt5wLUQ4-0_1Ne-wXcM2Ll9DaVqBdqqdePT9fg9nu4xVAgATQNYBknWo1UuD6

The Burgundians had once claimed the mantle of France, an insult that would finally be corrected as their lands would be incorporated into the realm. With their final defeat, the Dual Monarchy was finally unchallenged within the region. The Angevin Hegemony was now unchallenged within the core of the French lands itself, and now, perhaps all of Western Europe respected the overwhelming power and prestige of the might of Dual Monarchy.

jwiMtg7XsC-eRgqNcZv3mkbcrbwnCec3Z0TfIGY7T9o2gi6coUCoAe4n7o7VJasCkuBDVWz5S5anp2mR5uSxAT69aYNFlBpKJQ_nuCCpx2JD7mgBMsR2wT5zQA2YzXxDjd3nmi0G

2QLIFtak_VX4VAJzvIYfJ86LSCCw1msW_hV6w-dx8cawfPbpqkRH9bPZgLeZlDvZUCGZAuNTg31V32_P8X1vo6yH34b5VFwH6JWJSnAdwNmRia4uVxxaSuvMgIIctOJDV2Dq77S-

In the months to follow since the final defeat of the House of Bourgogne, Queen Margaret would come to make one final act to ensure the continued stability and survival of the Dual Monarchy. The Justices of Peace, dedicated to provide the general populace with the to complain about the actions of justices directly to the monarch or its council, would be acted upon and strengthened by the Queen. The appointment of the justices by the Lord Chancellor at irregular annual intervals allowed for the possible removal of uncooperative figures at the next annual re-issue.

trkgE75xqT9WUMqlQ1_QVRZce3IWcIspkWYstIzntKCbazbJyptjLoKMp50RL-2w6okQyzl1WKOfKrM98k5zjgx_8gIWj9p4Laukb3m9wAvWbRyp8V84Gy14rOa175YP3FoNDAAI

Having become Queen just barely after her eighteenth birthday, Margaret d’Anjou would later go on to become one of the most successful and beloved English monarchs of all time. Despite her foreign birth, her fierce loyalty to England would lead the Queen to act as a champion of the crown and its interests. Along with having established an entire dynasty of her own through several pregnancies, Margaret was not destined to rule forever. Her health would deteriorate in the next few years. It was unlikely that she was expected to live to see the next decade.
55yHG6H_He6QiaY9kDNBpZm10NoJSs_eCzUl2QTXkmhVDuhTsVH0BPlTVJs9fUQ4g9kicXXHCEgOj227g5_7cuK--Nks_iYw8_a_iomBJzXDWpksOHOepbIHHplUkZQDP-RyZKGF

80qoH4HKb19lWa6EWDEMKUFwxBMODxPnELnw1qMduZVl1EjngBRUilVixXWEScBYaLJ6Dc9ub--uPisTZGpGvQyI7L6LyjgqR-hwfxxwZJNztXZvSsxaiTHtibNI1_xD_s5BGLa6

Edward IV d’Anjou, King of England and France. Also known as Edward of Westminster and previously the Prince of Wales, Edward IV would become the first King of the Dual Monarchy. An expansionist, his reign would see a drastic change in foreign policy.

By early December 1485, the Queen would feel weak and unwell. She would remain drowsy and confused during the final days of her life. Shortly after Christmas, Queen Margaret I d’Anjou would pass away on December 28th 1485 at the age of fifty seven, surrounded by her children and palace attendants. The death of their founding mother would hit the Dual Monarchy hard as a month of mourning would occur in both England and France. Margaret I would be buried in Westminster Abbey and succeeded by her eldest son, who would take the regal name of Edward IV, implying a continuation between the Kingdom of England and the Dual Monarchy of England and France.

Margaret will forever be remembered. I feel sorry for Edward - how can he be but obscured by the burning brightness of her radiant memory? May be this will be what drives his expansionist tendencies?

What a wonderful Queen she was! With all of France and Burgundy under Angevin control, surely you must be the dominant power in Europe by now? I wonder how their neighbors will react.

You couldn't have picked a more fitting portrait for Edward IV. :)

And end to the incredibly fruitful first era of the Dual Monarchy, but a stable situation at least for Edward to pick up from. Interesting to see him previewed as an expansionist after Margaret. How far will the monarchy extend by the time he is through?

Chapter 10.5: In Memoriam/Margaret I 'The Great'
Saint Margaret I ‘The Great’ d’Anjou
Lived: March 23rd 1430 - December 28th 1485
Queen of England: 1445 - 1485
Queen of England and France: 1449 - 1485

imA4PR65BgIi1vRPNnyvmjeyVvrgiaR25e7y0Ixf8ivDLiGv56iEBqNbc5rdrHzipYk-Z925q97IGc0X2_mHwuJYW5JIfCX0fFPxE-R-MEm-qfc-4KDObST3c-avHVZiRvuv18N6

A 19th century depiction of Saint Margaret the Great. Due to the legacy of her rule, Margaret is fondly remembered as one of the greatest English monarchs of all time.
Margaret I, also known as Margaret of Anjou, would become a child that would unknowingly find herself as one of the greatest figures of her age. Almost nobody would consider the foreign queen that would one day rule England to become a powerful monarch in her own right, but upon receiving the throne, the new Queen would define an entire century. Remembered as one of the most successful monarchs in English history, she was solely responsible for laying the foundation for the Angevin Empire long after her passing.

Margaret would be born in the Duchy of Lorraine into the House of Valois-Anjou as the second eldest daughter of René of Anjou and Isabella, Duchess of Lorraine. Growing up in France, she would later become known as the foreign but beautiful, passionate, proud, and strong-willed wife who would unfortunately marry the insane Henry VI of England when she was just fifteen years old. Due to her husband's insanity, she was left to rule the kingdom in his place and understood her duty to protect the interests of the Crown fervently, a trait probably inherited from her mother and grandmother. Following a stillborn pregnancy that resulted in the permanent mental breakdown of Henry VI, along with a poor situation during the final stages of the Hundred Years War, Margaret would be crowned by Parliament as Queen of England. Showing extraordinary skill in diplomacy in the short amount of time that she had been married to the former King, the new Queen ruled as a ‘Champion of the Crown’ and fought and ultimately won against France.

Queen Margaret I would come to lead a victorious England to victory in the Hundred Years War and dynastically unify the crowns of England and France into the Dual Monarchy. In the years of peace that were to follow, Margaret would rule the defeated French as a benevolent monarch who championed reconciliation and led the newly established Dual Monarchy of England and France to triumph. Her righteous morality had led the Queen to carry out her actions with the utmost morality, something which led her to become deeply popular among the Catholic Church within England through selfless actions such as her charity work and kind actions. Attributed ‘miracles’ documented long after her death during the generations would lead to her canonization as a Saint in the eighteenth century

As an extraordinary diplomat, the Queen would show her political prowess as a gifted statesman. Famously, she would become known through the Four Lords of Ireland who swore loyalty to the Queen and ultimately brought Ireland into the fold. Establishing Queen Margaret as a force to be reckoned with, the Queen would later lead the Dual Monarchy into establishing its future hegemony within Western Europe. Burgundy would be crushed and later absorbed into the Dual Monarchy, Scotland would shatter under the sheer weight of the Queen’s grasp, the Kalmar Union would lose their position as a dominant naval power as the Dual Monarchy sunk their fleets in the North Sea, and through careful diplomacy, brought almost the entirety of France into the Dual Monarchy through a ruthless but benevolent touch.

Through leading the Dual Monarchy that she would establish as one of the most dominant powers in Europe, the Queen herself would become frail within her later years and no longer had the same zealous drive she once possessed. Securing a legacy for herself and that of the English branch of the d’Anjou dynasty, Queen Margaret I d’Anjou would pass away on December 28th 1485 at the age of fifty seven from heart failure, surrounded by family and palace attendants. She would have eight children, five of whom would survive into adulthood, one with Henry VI and seven with Charles Courtenay. She would be buried in Westminster Abbey with the highest of honors among the kingdom she would call home, and the future empire she created in all but name...

Last edited: