• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prologue

Wysemage

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
A translation of the earliest recorded version of the "Declaration of the Rock", the legendary mustering cry of the kingdom of Alt Clut (c. late 8th century).

Gone is the great age of the Old North. Of the kingdoms of this esteemed land, only one yet remains.

O'er a century passed since the ill-fated alliance against the hated Angles, the might of Rheged and Gododdin, of Elmet and Alt Clut standing firm against the common foe. Yet doom did fall as on victory's eve, Morcant of Gododdin did murder the noble Urien of Rheged with envy and spite.

Thus did the Angles take heed of the fracturing alliance and through trickery did overcome the feuding kingdoms, to the doom of all Britons.

To conquest did Elmet and Gododdin fall, the lines of kings scattered and overtaken by history. To curses of impotence and an unfortunate marriage did Rheged submit to the Anglish yoke.

Yet Alt Clut persists still, as steadfast as the very Rock itself. Though the Angles wish to complete their conquest, they shall not. Though the Picts of the Highlands seek to take what they claim is "their land", they shall not!

For as long as Alt Clut persists, so too does that of the Old North. So rise, men of Alt Clut! A new age is at hand and you are needed for the bloody work to come!

The original author of "Declaration" remains unknown, but the most common theory is that it was a scribe's recording of a speech from Owain II, King of Alt Clut, who ruled the kingdom during this period.

THE LAST KINGDOM OF HEN OGLEDD - A 769 STRATHCLYDE AAR

K4HaIpn.jpg

Last edited:
Looks interesting, will be following along

Contents
Contents:

BOOK I - The Restoration of the North (769-878):

The Kingdom Of Alt Clut

King Owain II 'The Old' of Alt Clut (769-810)
Chapter I - Bloody Work (769-784)
Chapter II - The Good Son (784-793)
Chapter III - Century's End (793-799)
Europe in 800CE
Chapter IV - Y Gododdin (800-810)

King Caradog I 'the Affable' of Alt Clut and Gododdin (810-834)
Chapter V - Merry Men (810-815)
Chapter VI - Before the Storm (815-820)
Chapter VII - A War in the Family (820-828)
Chapter VIII - End of the Hunt (828-834)

King Grygor I 'the Undefeated' of Alt Clut, Powys and Gododdin (834-863)
Appendix a. The House of Alt Clut (c.834)
Chapter IX - Revolving Revolters (834-838)
Chapter X - Motte and Bailey (838-842)
Chapter XI - Oathkeeper (842-845)
Chapter XII - Paramours and Papists (845-850)
Chapter XIII - Merovingian Twilight (850-855)
Chapter XIV - Undefeatable (855-863)

King Neithon II of Alt Clut, Powys and Gododdin (863-878)
Chapter XV - Oathbreaker Part I (863-865)
Chapter XVI - Oathbreaker Part II (865-868)
Chapter XVII - No Love Lost (868-877)
Chapter XVIII - Nuntrustworthy (877-878)

Book II - By Blood United (878-?)

The Regency of Eiliwedd of the Wilds (878-?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So to start this AAR off with a little info:
  • This is a 769 start with the Petty Kingdom of Strathclyde (using the name it was known for at that time, Alt Clut), the only Brythonic kingdom in the region that was once known as Hen Ogledd (The Old North in Welsh) that survived beyond the 7th century. Historically the kingdom lasted until 1093 when it was finally incorporated into the Kingdom of Scotland. We'll try to avoid that of course.
  • Non-Ironman since while I'll accept most of what the game will throw at me, something like Italy controlling the Isle of Wight from the other side of Europe with nothing in between is just plain silly.
  • My main goal is to reconquer the main region of Hen Ogledd: The de jure duchies of Strathclyde, Lothian, Northumbria, York and Cumbria. The goal from there (aside from surviving to the end date) is a little more open ended, but my baseline goal is to unify the other Celtic/Gaelic/Briton lands at the very least.
  • Each chapter will be portrayed in a different manner, one might be historical, the next a narrative, you get the idea. I'll also be playing each character within the limits of their specific traits as much as I can.
  • I'm not certain if I'm going to make this a mega-campaign or not as of yet but who knows?
  • I have every DLC active (bar Sunset Invasion).
INDEX OF TERMS:
Yr Hen Ogledd - The Old North, the Sub-Roman kingdoms of the Cumbric Britons.
Cumbric - A Brythonic language and people closely related to that of the Welsh.
Alt Clut - Clyde Rock, a fortress atop a plug of basalt rock by the strait of the River Clyde inhabited since the Iron Age.
Gododdin - A Sub-Roman kingdom centred around modern day Lothian.
Rheged - A Sub-Roman kingdom based in modern day Cumberland.
Elmet - A Sub-Roman kingdom that existed in modern day western Yorkshire.
Bernicia and Deira - The Anglian founded kingdoms, in Northumberland and eastern Yorkshire respectively, that merged to form the kingdom of Northumbria. Both kingdoms have Brythonic derived names and may have been kingdoms of Hen Ogledd.

Last edited:
Look interesting!

K4HaIpn.jpg

Owain II of Alt Clut (Circa 769)

Very few written records exist of the earliest years of Owain II, something that doubtlessly lead to the many legends written of the man. What is certain however is the precarious situation of Alt Clut.

iB7Ce54.jpg

Northern Britain in the mid-8th Century.

In the years preceding the “Declaration of the Rock”, Alt Clut was surrounded by three powerful kingdoms. The largest by far was that of the Angles of Northumbria, ruled by Ealhred of the line of Eadric, that had conquered all the other kingdoms of Hen Ogledd (The region known as the Old North in Welsh) a century prior.

9jtyhYM.jpg

Ealhred of Northumbria

Beyond this were the Picts of the Highlands and the Gaelic kingdom of Dál Riata, both of which were likely weaker than the Northumbrians, but nonetheless would still pose a great threat to Owain should they have designs on his kingdom.

Y4vGWYP.jpg

Áed III of Dál Riata

EKiIYzA.jpg

Ciniod II of Pictland
The best source of knowledge of Owain and late-8th century Alt Clut ironically comes from a Northumbrian, Alcuin of York (A teacher at the School of Bede from the 750s to the late 770s) who wrote many letters on the British Isles during his time in the court of France at the turn of the century.

yqpECE7.jpg

Alcuin of York (Centre) supporting his future student Rabanus (Left) as he dedicates his work to the Archbishop of Mainz (Right)
(A Frankish Manuscript dated c. 831)

While his work doubtlessly has some exaggeration to it, other historical and archaeological evidence has verified much of it in the centuries since his death in 812AD.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CONCERNING THE WAR AGAINST THE BRITONS

When news came on New Year's Day of the year of our Lord 770AD that an army of Britons had marched across the frontier with the intent of claiming the realm which was called Aeron by its inhabitants, it was of little concern to the tutors of the School of Bede. A war many, many leagues away rarely are when one is preoccupied with the dispensing of Bede's teachings. The topic of a horde of baying natives was murmured in every drinks hall, every longhouse in York. But being so far from the frontier lands, it remained mere gossip.

XBhosrK.jpg

This changed a year later as the late Spring sun shone upon York one morn, when the good King Ealhred arrived with a fell look, one shared by much of his following retinue. While his Lordship deigned to meet with my mentor, the Archbishop of York, I was met with a steward of his retinue who confided in me the tale that the Britons numbered fifteen hundred strong, yet fought with the fury of twice their number.

MxijrHP.jpg

An army of eleven hundred was mustered, engaging the Britons near the village of Rhinns. They slew a mere score before they faltered before their foe, losing five hundred of their own number as they retreated.

usZH1Dk.jpg

The Britons were given free reign of the frontier as the King withdrew his forces to Bamburgh, the seat of his power. There he raised another hundred fresh men, but the army of Alt Clut had reached Bamburgh with a force still twice his own. In mockery of his Lordship, a mule was sent out, the naked form of the Chieftain of Rhinns mockingly tied upon its back alongside with a demand to return the land of Aeron to them.

eUEIYaW.jpg

The King was greatly incensed at this and sallied forth to crush the invaders, but was forced to retreat to the safety of his fortress after suffering a loss twice that of the men he had raised.

15MTcrW.jpg

His aim was to outlast the Britons. But to his great ire did a turncloak grant access to the men of Owain, second of his name.

kDWlGn7.jpg

While Ealhred was able to escape with what remained of his army, his family was not and they were held by the Britons as hostages. By the beginning of Spring, with the forces of Owain still outnumbering His Lordship's, the King was left with little option but to relent as to protect his kindred. He surrendered, granting ownership of Aeron, much to the consternation of the Rhinnish Chieftain, to Owain.

fq8xwd8.jpg

CONCERNING GISELA OF THE KARLINGS

In the year of our Lord 778AD, I had been dispatched to Rome by the Archbishop with the intent of gaining ratification for York. After my successful appointment with His Holiness the Pope, I had a chance encounter with an old acquaintance. Theoderic of the Merovingians, who had reclaimed the Kingdom of the Franks six years hence.

bSSKzAY.jpg

Théoderic III of France, who reclaimed his father's throne from the Karling Usurpers c. 772AD

He offered me a position at his court, and whilst I was reluctant to depart the School I had been present at since my eighth winter, it was an offer I was unlikely to receive again. During our travel to his court at Verdun, Theoderic unexpectedly inquired about Owain of Alt Clut, who had married Gisela, sister to Karloman and Karl who still held sway over half of the Frankish realms.

buMMcId.jpg

Karl Karling, former King of West Francia

fqVAsh8.jpg

Gisela, former Princess of Francia and Queen of Alt Clut

He was informed that Gisela had given birth to a son a few months before our meeting and he was curious as to whether the Briton would support his in-laws should the dispute over the Frankish crown descend into open war.

6PfYA4G.jpg

Caradog, secondborn son of Owain

I assured him that it was highly unlikely that the Britons, still surrounded by hostile kingdoms even after their conquest of Aeron, would send an army abroad. The King merely nodded and so we spoke of it no more.

WORD OF BRITTONIC RAIDS

During the first half-decade of my tenure in the Frankish court, from across the Channel would come sporadic rumours of a most disturbing situation. The Britons had suffered from a poor harvest over the summer of 880AD. Owain II had rallied his armies and embarked upon a series of raids, targetting the Northumbrian lands in spite of the peace between them.

ayIuD4C.jpg

It is thought that the Britons of Alt Clut raided Lindisfarne to avenge the defeat of the Northern Alliance in the late 500s

There they pillaged many a settlement before turning their ire upon the coastal holdings of the Picts, putting the people to the sword and seizing all the valuables in every village they came to.

5hT3yaN.jpg

It was not until after the Gaels of Dál Riata suffered the loss of an entire town to the Britons that the reports of their raids came to an end.

eEkoD6S.jpg

While the town of Steórnabhagh was rebuilt by the end of the 9th Century, folk tales of the spirits of those that fell in the Brythonic raid have given the town an infamous reputation ever since.
Many would have gladly believed that when the raiding ended, the Britons would retreat to seclusion like they had time and time again. Yet even from the valleys of Verdun where I now resided, I could see that it was a mere beginning.

lULSsIu.jpg

Last edited:
One would think Owain would be cautious and subtle with so many enemies around him, but his aggressiveness has payed off.

Making his mark on the world and no mistake.

One would think Owain would be cautious and subtle with so many enemies around him, but his aggressiveness has payed off.

Making his mark on the world and no mistake.

Oh undoubtedly so. I wanted to portray a learned man willing to restore the glory days of his ancestors, which was relatively easy given the near complete lack of historical knowledge of the guy and his eldest son Rhydderch. (Who wasn't mentioned in the first chapter for reasons in the next one)

Looks like this will make for interesting reading. Consider me a follower :)

Owain is certainly an audacious fellow, with all the warring and raiding in such a short space of time -- but then, with so little to lose in the first place, perhaps that audacity may be his saving grace.

An interesting beginning, plus it's always nice to see an AAR taking place close to home. Consider me subbed!

Chapter II - The Good Son (784-793)
Chapter II – The Good Son (784-793)

June 784 – Caradog

"Are you really going to battle Papa?"

Caradog stared up at his father, regarding the leathers and ax he wore with the awe only a child could posess. Owain nodded, checking his armour a third time before turning to face his son.

TzMo4xw.jpg

The love that Owain held for his second son is well recorded in poems from the time.

"Aye, the Gaels in Dál Riata are still a threat even after the raids. They need to be pushed off of the mainland if I am to be able to focus on the Angles and the Picts." The King explained, kneeling down to look him in the eye. "And I know what you want to ask, no I will not bring back a sword for you. Six winters is still too young to wield a real one."

vIamq0X.jpg

Caradog pouted, but nodded all the same. Owain let out a small chuckle and ruffled his hair. "How about this? When I return, I'll start training you in combat. Does that sound fair?"

BjZYMdy.jpg

Caradog at age 6 c.784

As Caradog opened his mouth to reply, a knock on the door cut him off so he merely nodded his approval and stepped aside as his father rose to open the door.

"Father, I wished to ask you something before you le- Oh. Good morning little brother." Rhydderch, Caradog's elder brother and his father's heir said with a meek smile upon his entrance. Caradog returned the greeting as his father let Rhydderch into the room with a sigh. "Aye, I have something I wish to ask as well." He murmured, turning to look at the younger son. "Caradog my lad, I must speak to Rhydderch about something important. Go be with your mother."

o6tRWLw.jpg

No record remains of Rhydderch's mother, but it is believed that she was a local woman who died giving birth to him.

"Yes Papa." Caradog chimed with a smile. As he moved to leave the room, he stopped to bid Rydderch goodbye. The way that his brother looked at him stopped that right away as Caradog felt his smile falter. He mumbled his farewells before quickly exiting.

He had barely turned the corner at the end of the hallway before stopping, realising that he had left one of his treasured toys in Owain's quarters. Caradog returned down the hall, only stopping as he realised that the door was ajar still and Owain could be heard speaking tersely beyond it. His curiosity overtook his worries of scolding and he edged towards the door, catching part of his father's sentence.

"-told you this before Rhydderch, Gisela can manage this hold even if she cannot speak our tongue fluently yet. She does not need your aid in something you have no experience in. Now let me ask you though. Do you think me a fool?"

Caradog peered as far around the door as he dared, watching as his father approached Rhydderch, who began to sweat. "I-I... Whatever do you mean father?" he stammered, backing against a desk. Owain grabbed him by the collar, pushing him down against the desk with a growl of anger.

"Do not act ignorant to what I am asking, boy. The maidservants you tried to bribe came to me immediately afterwards. I know all about your plot against Caradog. Now I'll ask you again. Do you think me a fool?"

mqBBvJi.jpg

Rhydderch is believed to have seen his younger brother as a threat, but the lack of subtlety in his plot became quickly evident.

Rhydderch whimpered and mumbled "I-I didn't- I did not mean t-"

"You did not mean to kill your own brother? The lad ten winters your younger, who has done nothing to you? You tried to bribe those maids to smother Caradog in his sleep while I was away."

Caradog stared at his brother in blank shock as Owain went on, lambasting Rhydderch and throwing him from the desk to the floor. He was forced to quickly flee from the door into a new hiding place before two guards marched from the other direction and into the King's room. He peered around the corner of his new hiding spot, unable to make sense of it.

What did he do? Why did Rhydderch want to kill him? Did all brothers want to kill each other?

His trail of thought was cut off as Rhydderch was dragged out of the office by the guards, on the verge of tears. "F-Father... Please... I am your firstborn... Your heir!" he pleaded. Owain gave him a look of disgust.

"That my firstborn is a coward and a wretch is a stain upon the names of my ancestors. I should throw you into the deepest pit beneath the Rock. But no, your inheritance is enough. You are my heir no longer. A monastery to the south awaits it's newest monk. I would wish you luck in your new calling, but it is obvious that you do not care for my approval." The King explained, frowning deeply as he looked towards the guards. "Get him out of my sight and then send word to the marshal. We leave at noon." he ordered, returning to his quarters once more.

Rhydderch, for all his cowardice, grew bold as his fate sunk in. "You cannot do this! Alt Clut is my birthright! I WILL TAKE WHAT I AM OWED! FATHER!!" he bellowed, struggling against the grip of the guards as they dragged him down the hallway away from where Caradog was hidden.

9h9lb5F.jpg

The monastery that Rhydderch was banished to is believed to be one in the county of Aeron.

When he eventually came to his mother an hour later, Caradog was in a dark mood. He and Rhydderch had never been particularly close but... To learn that your own brother wants you dead is a heavy burden to learn at such an age.

June 785 – Owain

He had done it. The Gaels had fallen back after a failed offensive at Cyndeyrn Sant and all Dál Riata was open to him, the mainland at Eppidant quickly submitting to him.

CH1CFdC.jpg

Eochaid IV had recovered from the prior defeat, gathering his forces and launching an assault at Port an Eilein. Owain had crushed him there, forcing another rout. This time however, the Gaelic king merely sent an envoy a day later.

IVSMEcb.jpg

The envoy offered surrender to Owain, explaining that his king had no desire to remain at war and would grant him the province as a peace deal. With his goal complete, Owain now sat upon a horse, riding back to Alt Clut.

XcXB2hc.jpg

He had taken much time to contemplate the efforts of Caradog of the Catuvellauni, his ancestor and the legendary figure who very nearly defeated the Romans when they first invaded Britain. Truly it was a time long gone, when pagan gods still ruled the hearts of the Britons. He could understand the merit of such beliefs even if he did not share them.

4FP7r5y.jpg

Whether Owain was truly descended from the Catuvellauni Chieftain is unknown, many Kings claimed legendary ancestry.

The name brought him to his own son however, and Owain quickly spurred his horse forward, eager to reunite with the son he could have easily lost if not for the honesty of his own servants.

January 792 – Caradog

It had been six years since his father had been at war. Six years since Caradog learned that brothers could never be trusted as his own's jealousy gave way to murderous intent. Now Owain was gone again and Caradog found his situation reversed.

1OAjHoU.jpg

Caradog at age 12.

Old King Ealhred had been slain in a duel last summer, leaving his only child, a sickly yearling girl named Wulfthryth as his successor. Naturally the Northumbrians were in disarray, and Owain almost immediately pounced upon the situation.

mwazpWF.jpg

Queen Wulfthryth and her domain c.892, also pictured is the Pictish invasion of Dál Riata.

He'd marched his army over the border to Nofant, the county the Angles called Rhinns, quickly seizing it at the end of the season.

EF58Irz.jpg

It was nearly two months later when Caradog's mother gave birth to another boy, one she called Tewdrig. There had been several sisters born in the six years prior but this was the first new brother since Rhydderch.

Cx0QY0y.jpg

Tewdrig ap Owain, thirdborn son

His exiled kin never returned to claim his birthright of course, a cold winter was harsh on the former heir and he came down with a flu that he never recovered from, perishing six months after Owain's victory at Port an Eilein.

LQ4Yzcv.jpg

A celebratory feast was being held in honour of the absent King as news came that he had bested an army that attempted to cross the border to Aeron, slaying over two hundred men and merely losing a score of his own.

0AhoJX2.jpg

Caradog longed for the day he could truly go to battle. He had grown tall, almost a head taller than other boys his age, with a body that began to harden with the rigors of combat training. His mind had begun to flourish as well, and his tutors noted the shrewd mind he possessed with praise. They did criticise the lack of interest he showed in the day to day running of a kingdom however.

Right now, combat was not on his mind, it was Tewdrig that occupied that space. Caradog knew that the infant nestled in his mother's arms was not guilty of anything, he would not plot against an innocent as Rhydderch did. He would however, remember the most important lesson he ever learned: A brother's ambition is the greatest threat to any king.

Archaeological evidence of the war for Nofant

Very little evidence has been found to mark the length of the invasion of Nofant beyond the recordings of the Battle of Aeron. A mass grave was discovered outside of the site of the village of Rhinns in 1876 which contained the remains of approximately 150 individuals that are theorised to be Anglian footmen, pieces of 8th century Anglian armour scattered amongst them. This at least suggests that an ill fated attempt to liberate the captured county happened at some point during the war.

6ADF4rl.jpg

The best indication of the war's end is by 793, as a preserved letter from Alcuin to the Archbishop of York inquires about the "lost county" and the rumours of a civil war against the infant Queen Wulfthryth.

fK44oVu.jpg

Hen Ogledd and the Karlings in one AAR? Bendigedig!

I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Progress is being made but its always useful to keep an eye in our own realm too...Its nice to see familiar faces around Densley , i may come back to AAR soon :p

Well written chapter! Poor Caradog, learning quite a harsh lesson so young.

Poor Caradog -- having such a revelation dropped on him so young, when he's barely able to comprehend the magnitude of his own importance or why anyone so seemingly close would want him dead. Unfortunately, it seems like he's taken that lesson to heart in all the wrong ways...

An unpleasant lesson, but an important one. To be at or near the top makes on a target.

Well written chapter! Poor Caradog, learning quite a harsh lesson so young.

Poor Caradog -- having such a revelation dropped on him so young, when he's barely able to comprehend the magnitude of his own importance or why anyone so seemingly close would want him dead. Unfortunately, it seems like he's taken that lesson to heart in all the wrong ways...

An unpleasant lesson, but an important one. To be at or near the top makes on a target.

Such is the price of having an ambitious brother who became a little too jealous of that helpful little Strong trait it seems.

Thank you all for reading this AAR! I've been wanting to write one on and off for years now but nothing really clicked with me the way that Hen Ogledd has. Speaking of which, the next chapter should be up later today, hope you enjoy!

The records of several council meetings stored within the Royal Archives in the 790s were translated from Old Cumbric in the 1500s, below is a list of the most important.

March of the year 793AD - Reports have arrived in this month that the county of Eppidant has been repopulated with many proud Cumbric families, the former Gaelic majority having fled with their liege, slain or else persisting in the more remote areas of the region.

6bV8DZU.jpg

The minority Gaelic population in Eppidant would continue to exist in some form for several decades.

March of the year 794AD -
A grand feast has been organised to commemorate the coming of age of Prince Caradog, who has passed his sixteenth winter. There the Prince was betrothed to Non, sister to Queen Melisant of Powys in remembrance of an age when northern and southern Britons were not divided.

IJWthzw.jpg

In addition to his betrothal, Caradog was named heir presumptive by a panel of notable power holders in the Kingdom. Candidates were restricted to the ruling family of the Alt Cluts and, bar the King himself, voting was restricted to the Bishops of the kingdom. Naturally, this system would evolve over the years to come.

The next 3 years of the records have little of note aside from yearly taxes and reports from neighbouring lands, they appear to indicate a period of relative peace and normality within the region.

February of the year 797AD -
The treasonous Eanred, false chieftain of Nofant, has openly declared his intent to return his holdings to the Kingdom of Northumbria's protection. An attempt to apprehend the renegade was unsuccessful and he has declared open rebellion. No knowledge has been gathered of the number of rebels or of the reaction of Wulfthryth as of yet.

mzog4xg.jpg

Eanred was the very same Chieftain of Rhinns who was humiliated by Owain in the war for Aeron. There is little doubt that the man held a grudge.

March of the year 797AD - The pitiful traitor Eanred failed to gather support beyond four score Anglian freemen and mercenaries, who were utterly crushed at Tygwyn by loyalist forces. The rebel was unfortunately not located amongst the dead and it is believed that he used his "army" as cover to escape. No word of support has been heard from Northumbria, reports have been received that the regency council is preoccupied with a rebellion in their own lands.

SqD2YQ3.jpg

May of the year 797AD - The coward Eanred has been captured after the populace of Nofant, of which he claimed to be ruler, cast him out. He has been imprisoned indefinitely until the King passes judgement for his treason.

4Zlpppt.jpg

pXrX9Y9.jpg

July of the year 797AD - By order of King Owain the Second of Alt Clut, the treasonous rebel Eanred is to be spared of rightful execution. The loathsome traitor is to instead be stripped of all worldly possessions, including his holdings, his wealth, his clothing and his family heirlooms. The traitor is then to be banished from this kingdom, never to return under pain of death.

SfbVXcQ.jpg

It is a common belief that Eanred was banished in the same way as his first humiliation at Owain's hands, tied naked to the back of a donkey and sent towards Northumbria.

A footnote under July 797 states that the wedding of Caradog and Non is to be held in August when the princess arrives.

August of the year 797AD - At the wedding of Caradog and Non. Good King Owain did present a poem that ridiculed the coward Eanred, naming him Lord of Donkeys to much revelry and appraisal.

Ir3Uf3S.jpg

"The Lord of Donkeys" in the original form written by Owain II has not survived to modern day, but many variations have sprung up as tavern songs or sea shanties over the centuries.

May of the year 798AD - There is much joy amongst the council as Non of Powys gave birth to a healthy son, named Grygor by his father Caradog. The line is secure.

i0ESGAs.jpg

September of the year 798AD - An unfortunate accident befell Queen Melisant of Powys, who was taken by God. Her council has sent word that her surviving sister Non is to be crowned queen. She is to be escorted under guard alongside her husband Caradog and their son Grygor to the Powys border.

VKhoVlW.jpg

Queen Non of Powys at the time of her coronation.

March of the year 799AD - Queen Non has petitioned Alt Clut for aid against a revolt in her own lands. As a gesture of goodwill, King Owain has marshalled a force of bowmen and is travelling south to directly support his daughter-by-law.

cy3EER9.jpg

wF2jm7g.jpg

August of the year 799AD -
Word has arrived that a victorious battle at Mathrafal has been fought and the fort surrendered shortly afterwards. The allies now focus their efforts on the last stronghold of Radnor

zrWcvWK.jpg

8xt37rb.jpg

November of the year 799AD - Tragedy has befallen the kingdom at the end of this month. Queen Gisela, who was dining with her daughters, began to choke on the bone of a chicken. Her daughters called for help and attempted to aid the Queen, but alas, she passed into the hands of God. Word has been sent to King Owain, who remains near Radnor according to the last report from Powys, and also to Gisela's nephew, King Ingalbert of Middle Francia.

Z3mVxvd.jpg

KzGlkW0.jpg

King Ingalbert of Middle Francia, son of King Karl of Middle Francia who inherited his brother's half of the Karling lands following his sudden illness and death.

aqa0Wnc.jpg

The revolt in Powys had ended just before the new year, but whether Owain had remained for the last month of the war is uncertain.

Last edited:
A good period of consolidation for Yr Hen Ogledd. Promising ties being made to Powys, also. Looking forward to seeing how links with Wales develop as things go forward.