• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Baltimorehero33

Sergeant
61 Badges
Jan 19, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
dFXPiDN.png

This is the tale of the Kingdom America, under the rule of the House of Hohenzollern. From the years of 1836 to 1936, we will work together for the benefit of both the crown and the people. But how did a family from the middle of Europe become rulers of a Kingdom across the sea?

vJDMQkO.png

The Kingdom's origins had their roots in the Seven Years War. While Britain and France fought for control over North America, Prussia fought on the continent against Austria, France, and Russia. Though Prussia had excellent soldiers and one of Europe's greatest military minds, the sheer weight of the opposition made it near impossible to succeed. When Britain made a separate peace and ended the subsidies to the Prussian Kingdom, it seemed that Frederick had lost; only the miraculous death of Tsarina Elizabeth and the ascension of the rabidly Pro-Prussian Tsar Peter III saved the Kingdom.

ijVzpgM.jpg

British victory in the Seven Years War had given them a massive empire in the Americas, but it was rather expensive, and debts accumulated during the war needed to be paid. Britain felt that since the American colonists were the primary beneficiary of Britain's victory, it would be only fair if they were the ones taxed. This caused outrage in the colonies, leading to a Declaration, and War, of Independence.

T0IJo3e.jpg

With Europe at peace, there was little need for soldiers and officers, including a one Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Having served in the Seven Years War under Frederick II himself, but currently unemployed due to Prussia's cuts in the army, he made himself available to the American cause, becoming Inspector General and in charge of reforming the American militias into an effective fighting force. One soldier's first impression of the Baron was "of the ancient fabled God of War ... he seemed to me a perfect personification of Mars. The trappings of his horse, the enormous holsters of his pistols, his large size, and his strikingly martial aspect, all seemed to favor the idea. He turned the volunteers into a great army"

YcvTb1K.png

Watching developments closely was Prussia. Frederick II had pursued anti-English policies since the end of the Seven Years War. He had blocked passage for the armies of those states who had offered mercenaries to Britain, and he encouraged several officers to make the passage to America, particularly after the French-American alliance was signed. One officer who particularly wanted to go was Prince Henry of Prussia. A close ally of his brother, he had long been frustrated about being unable to secure a principality in Europe. When his brother blocked his potential ascension to a throne in Wallachia, he decided to join the fray in America, in hopes that they might be willing to crown a King.

mMAA4DJ.jpg

Coincidentally, as Henry crossed the Atlantic, the Americans fought the Battle of Monmouth. An American victory, it came at a high price; General George Washington was dead. The Army was held together by von Steuben's training, as well as the remaining generals, but there was no clear successor to Washington. Greene, Knox, and Lee fought among themselves (Lee would have been court-martialed had Washington lived) and the army nearly descended into dangerous factionalism.

Eventually, a sort of triumvirate, a generalship by committee emerged; it was agreed that Knox would command in New England, Lee in the Mid-Atlantic, and Greene in the South. It was in such a state that Prince Henry arrived in America. He immediately made himself available to Congress, who accepted him into their ranks but were uncomfortable of appointing another high ranking foreigner. Henry was encouraged to join Lee; Henry though was unwilling to serve under "A British Lieutenant Colonel". Von Steuben pleaded, and Henry initially agreed to join merely in an advising capacity.

gE19N4i.jpg

However, Lee's command did not last for much longer; a disastrous attack on New York saw him killed, and with a strong Prussian presence in the Mid-Atlantic, Henry was popular enough that he could take control of the Army with Von Steuben's help. Congress was reluctant, but had little choice as he won victories over Britain in Philadelphia and New York City, maintaining his undefeated record in battle. While he was never officially proclaimed Commander in Chief, Prince Henry controlled the largest, best-trained force the Americans had.

keEZuUw.jpg

As Britain moved their campaign south, Prince Henry moved his own forces to fight, culminating in the Battle of Yorktown. Britain's forces were trapped by the Prince and the French fleet, and were forced to surrender. The Americans celebrated, and the British band played "The World Turned Upside Down".

ovnwi0a.jpg

Becoming independent though was no easy matter. The newly free American colonies governed themselves as thirteen separate countries, something Federalists like Alexander Hamilton knew could never survive. A staunch monarchist who had served first under Washington and then under Prince Henry, Hamilton had made a strong name for himself and worked to convince Congress to accept a proposal of a King to unite the states into one country.

Hamilton's proposal was vigorously debated, and Thomas Jefferson decried the whole thing as a betrayal to the Revolution, but the Federalists were successful. Prince Henry was offered the crown, albeit as a monarch that would be limited in powers via a constitution; he could not trample on the American's "certain, inalienable rights", nor could he ever ascend to the throne in Prussia. However, he was given the right to command the army, approve bills, and appoint governments. Henry thought for two weeks before accepting, being crowned as King Henry I. in a small, spartan ceremony.

ZCuDagj.jpg

Henry died without issue in 1802, and his younger brother, Augustus, was crowned King of America in the newly constructed capital of Columbia. He had some ability to strengthen American royal authority, and looked to make a major expansion west. He fought a war with France for control of Louisiana and successfully captured New Orleans and forced the French to sue for peace. He was crowned in incredible glory, and in hopes of furthering his empire, he looked north to British Canada.

UchN92G.jpg

The War of 1812 as it was called, was fought while Britain was distracted in Europe. However, it was a disaster for American forces, and the Crown Prince Louis Ferdinand was killed in battle; his own father died from grief not a year later, forcing the ascension of King Augustus II. Augustus lead the army to some victories, repelling an invasion from Canada, and one of his subordinate generals, General Andrew Jackson (later a Prime Minister) succeeded at New Orleans, forcing Britain to come to peace.

MPUdEcs.jpg

King Augustus II von Hohenzollern has since reigned over the country in relative peace, fighting the Native American threat in the west, and slowly expanding the nation. His wife and Queen, Luise of Anhalt-Bernburg, has given him a daughter, and for now she is the heiress to the Kingdom, though the King himself is healthy. He knows that the world that America is in is dangerous, and that only through strength can she establish herself as a power that is free from the invasions that it suffered not but twenty years ago.

Now, the year is 1836, and America looks to have enemies in all directions; to the North, sits perfidious Albion, but to the South, sits Catholic Mexico. And with America's back to the sea, she has only one way to go.

Forward.​

Knew you could never trust those Germans :D

What are you talking about, we trust them so much that we made them Kings! ;)

Is it better/easier to host all the pictures on here like above, or to link to an imgur album? I'm fine with either :)

Hey, I’ve been reading your AAR on Reddit and I’m loving it so far! As for image hosting, AARs on this forum generally just attach them in each post so it’s better for the readers.

Are you planning on adding interactivity like in your Reddit posts? You’ll have to ask a moderator for permission first.

Yeah, saw this on Reddit too. Certainly a unique idea and I'm glad you're actually integrating the monarchy into American politics. Looking forwards to how the American Civil War would be impacted.

Oh hey thanks! Someone suggested to me that I post it here, and so I thought I'd go ahead. I'd love to add interactivity to this thread, who do I contact about that? Do I have to get mod help to gather suggestions?

@zenphoenix did I do it correctly in my post, or do I need to do it with the "Upload a file" function?

Oh hey thanks! Someone suggested to me that I post it here, and so I thought I'd go ahead. I'd love to add interactivity to this thread, who do I contact about that? Do I have to get mod help to gather suggestions?

@zenphoenix did I do it correctly in my post, or do I need to do it with the "Upload a file" function?
First, you have to message a mod, because the mods will shut down any thread with unauthorized interactivity. Most people ask "Mr. Capiatlist" [sic], and as long as you explain yourself I think he'll approve your request.

For uploading pictures, did you copy-paste them from Wikipedia or upload them from your computer? If you want to present your screenshots, you'll have to drag and drop them from your directory onto the text box. They will then appear below the text box, each with a button to attach into your post wherever your cursor is.

in67Hny.jpg

(Advisory going forward: As a small note, I ended up deciding to make use of Event 18540 (lowers infamy by 3). I did this because alternatively I could save scum like crazy, but this is more supposed to be a Victoria roleplay rather than showing how good at Victoria II I am (I am really, really bad at Victoria 2). With that out of the way, enjoy!)

ngigOSO.jpg

The death of Prime Minister Jackson in late 1835 became a national crisis for the Kingdom of America. Elections were not scheduled until 1840, and the previous one was bitterly fought, creating significant divisions between the three main parties. Few wanted a repeat of the election of 1832, or worse, 1828, and besides, royal permission would be required to call for an election.

At the White Palace, the three parties each looked to make their case. The Grand Party put forward Martin Van Buren from New York, who had been a protegee of Jackson, but the King found Van Buren's policies to be opposed to his own, namely on the fate of Texas. While Professor Savolaine, a royal aide from Harvard, felt that Van Buren's economic policies would benefit the country, many others, lead by Professor Biyalorez of Yale University and General Daniel von Ziegler advocated for a Prime Minister willing to intervene in the economy, and to pursue an expansionist foreign policy.

q4fSQfX.jpg

John C. Calhoun was the choice of Biyalorez. A fellow Yale alumni, Calhoun was a nationalist, an expansionist, and a modernizer. Advocating for high tariffs, an industrial build up, and expansion of American imperial power, he was a perfect fit to build American industry, particularly the arms industry.

xbPcJgT.jpg

(I would later change the names of the political parties, the Democrats to "The Grand Party" and the Southern Democrats to "The Knights of Columbia")

The coalition derived much of its strength from senators and congressmen from the South. Traditionally, Southerners opposed the tariffs (seeing it as a tax to support Northern industry) but Congressmen from Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania agreed to support the coalition and provide votes to prevent the ebbing of slavery (and even its expansion south of the Mason Dixon) in exchange for support on the tariffs. Neither side had any interest in significant political reforms, which made the coalition work well enough to move forward.

rAgh6Y4.jpg

Almost immediately, Calhoun looked to implement an "American industry first" policy. Tariffs and taxes were raised on the lower classes to finance rails and factories, particularly in the North East. While this was a part of the coalition deal, the shock and scale of the changes sent waves through the American economy. Immediately, prices went up for the average American family and they had much less money to spend. Artisans in particular were highly affected, and it set off "The Panic of 1836", with runs on banks and a riot in Charleston, which had previously looked to defy royal authority under Jackson.

lpwOBIE.jpg

The representatives from South Carolina walked out of the coalition after the riots were put down by force, and many others from the South discussed an alliance with some of the Western duchies to create a government under the Whigs, headed by either the war hero William Henry Harrison or former Foreign Minister Henry Clay. They approached King Augustus, and asked him to consider replacing Calhoun. The King was hesitant to remove Calhoun so quickly, and told the group that he would likely need to call a new election if he wanted to replace him. The Southerners assured the King that they would be open to either that, or a roll-back of the new tariff. King Augustus ended the meeting with a promise to "protect Southern interests", though he did not specify how. The Southerners for their part were satisfied with that, figuring the King would want to ensure violence did not spread to other cities such as New Orleans or Baltimore.

However, King Augustus had no intention of paralyzing his government. While he respected the limits of the Constitution, he knew that America needed a firm hand if it were to grow into a mighty empire. He instead summoned his advisers, particularly in the foreign ministry and the Department of War, for an emergency royal council.
h6cFFZD.jpg

Spain was in the middle of a succession crisis, a civil war between Queen Isabella II and the Spanish King's brother, Infante Carlos of Spain (known to the Americans as Don Carlos). The Spanish Army was powerful, but King Augustus and his advisers noted that the Spanish had proven during the Central and South American wars for independence that it would be difficult for the country to fight a war across the Atlantic, especially while it was in a civil war.

For his part, King Augusts had spent twenty years of his reign, rebuilding the Royal Army and Navy, and was eager to test them. It would have the added benefit too of appealing to the Southerners, and would likely allow the needed economic reforms to continue. The foreign advisers noted that there would be blow-back from the European powers, but most predicted that no power would be willing to fight with Spain on this matter.

The King summoned Calhoun and several Southern leaders, and showed them his war plans, asking for continued support in Congress in exchange for this war to be fought. The Southerners agreed, and forces were moved into position.

V7IvGl6.jpg

The King directed a manifesto, delivered to the capitals of Europe declaring that Spanish control of Cuba was in direct violation of the "Columbia Conventions" (decrying European influence in the Western Hemisphere), and that Spain was ordered to surrender the island of Cuba to American authorities. Naturally, the Spanish refused, and so the King asked Congress to declare war, which it approved overwhelmingly. The North was eager to ensure the tariffs remained in place, while the South was excited about the prospect of expansion.

The blowback was significant in Europe. The United Kingdom was particularly outraged by the Kingdom's expansion of slavery (after the UK had abolished it some six years prior), but even America's dynastic kin in Prussia were concerned about America's "Peculiar Institution"

FmJTfRf.jpg

Though Congress approved, the war was bitterly denounced by many abolitionists. Though abolitionism was not yet a political cause that had made headway in Congress, the Spanish-American war prompted protest by some clergy and intellectuals who challenged the wisdom of sending American boys to die to expand slave-holding interests. For the Southerners though, they had seen that they had enough political clout that they were able to trade their support for an expansion in slave interests. The debate became more significant, though the King decided for now that he wished to remain above the fray to focus on the war with Spain.

4AuY805.jpg

King Augustus initially wanted to lead the invasion himself, but he was already 56 years old. His daughter was likely his successor, and it was felt that there could be some turmoil if she were to ascend before she was married. Instead, Zachary Taylor was dispatched to Cuba. Landing at Jagua, Taylor was barely opposed until he marched on Cuba, where he met a Spanish garrison that was poorly equipped, lacking any artillery. They were crushed easily, and the occupation of the island went swiftly.

qBMAgGw.jpg

At home, the White Palace put more resources at Calhoun's disposal, whose first project was to connect New York with Columbia by rail. The rest of the budget was being spent on adding to the Royal Artillery Corps, recruiting heavily from Southern men who were flocking to the colors.

5221PXM.jpg

The Cuba campaign ended overwhelmingly in favor of the Americans, but the Spanish were still unwilling to negotiate. Perhaps there was a fear that accepting peace would cause more Spaniards to feel the need to replace their child Queen with the absolutism of the Carlismos.

Y597mYB.jpg

Forced to continue the fight, the Americans decided that not only would Spain lose Cuba, but also Puerto Rico. An invasion lead by Thomas Jesup was quite successful, and the Spanish were crushed, with General Valdes forced to surrender.

eYYkMTS.jpg

Closer to home, King Augustus II kept an eye on the Texan War. Many of his advisers feared Santa Anna's barbarity and lust for power. The massacre of the Alamo, which included several American deaths, outraged the nation. By October, the situation of the Texans was dire enough that President Sam Houston asked the American Kingdom to intervene.

hiVxKst.jpg

General Winfield Scott was America's most senior commander not involved in Cuba, and he, with the Army of Observation, were reinforced with America's new artillery corps. The Battle of Fort Parker devastated the Mexican forces, and Santa Anna was forced to sue for peace and recognize Texan independence.

OqL7SyF.jpg

The Treaty of New Orleans recognized Texas firmly in the sphere of America, however it did not resolve the dispute over Western Texas. King Augustus was satisfied enough; though he was willing to continue the war, the Spanish had successfully landed a contingent of forces in New England, and he needed Scott's forces in the North.

LgAoop2.jpg

As a part of the war effort against both Mexico and Spain, anti-Catholic fervor was whipped up. Many Protestant preachers were highly supportive of the war efforts, though some used religion against the government, decrying the expansion of slavery. The King looked to support the former, sponsoring churches that were helpful in proclaiming his "divine right to rule" and suppressed those against him or his government. All across the country, preachers on both sides became more influential and powerful, and even African Americans were becoming more religious under their first officially recognized church. Many politicians realized that their constituents were becoming more fervent, and in turn, pursued stronger moralist policies.

8m405lK.jpg

Z9888Zl.jpg

XgVwBdj.jpg

On the war front, the Spanish invasion was checked by General Scott at the battle of Burlington, and the entire Spanish force was wiped out at Concord, forcing General de la Fuente to surrender his remaining troops. The Royal Navy fought an action in the Caribbean, winning decisively enough to force the Spanish to the negotiating table, mediated by the King of Belgium.

pQagWOT.jpg

In the Treaty of Ostend, Spain was forced to surrender both Cuba and Puerto Rico, a crushing blow to Spanish prestige. Relations with Europe had not recovered, but King Augustus, in a letter to his cousin the Prussian King, noted that their uncle had thought little of European opinions when he launched his invasion for Austrian Silesia. That, he noted, launched Prussia's great power ambitions, and he would not let anyone stand in the way of American power.

9a1mnVq.jpg

The Caribbean after the war.

lQ8RYx8.jpg

At home, it was determined that the Native Americans, still a thorn in the sides of many Eastern farmers, would need to be relocated. They were removed from Georgia and the south-east so that Americans might be able to purchase their lands and perhaps build their own plantations. Meanwhile, the Natives were forced to eke out an existence in Oklahoma, which was far less fertile than their old lands.

BYEonN7.jpg

American medical advances in the era were significant. Operations in the Caribbean had seen more men die to malaria than to Spanish bullets. A protection against Malaria was developed just in time for the next campaign America had in mind.

Maxo3hy.jpg

Haiti had long seen threats to its independence. France had tried invading it under Napoleon, and many European nations refused to trade with Haiti, especially due to pressure from France and the United Kingdom. Haiti was a proud nation, who had its identity forged in the flames of war and revolution, but it was poor and unstable, a perfect target for American expansion.

OSki4jh.jpg

The Haitians fought bravely, but were crushed and annexed into the American crown, where they were rechristened as "The Duchy of Hispaniola" and slavery was reinstated on the island. However, as an agreement to ensure that the Americans would not constantly be facing revolts on the island, many Haitians were spared enslavement, and new slaves were imported from American West Africa.

xUg7f1g.jpg

In order to safeguard America's acquisition, Prime Minister Calhoun was able to push through an agreement of greater political rights. He positioned this not as rights for Africans, but rather to preserve the political rights of the often outvoted South. Several new western duchies applied for voting rights, almost all of them free, and so with this new reform, it would ensure that the South could better nullify any anti-slavery legislation.

lbnnR3e.jpg

Afterwards, Calhoun resigned, and informed the King that he would not look to head the Democrats for another coalition. Elections were constitutionally mandated for 1840, and so the Whigs, the Northern Democrats, and the Southern Democrats are prepared to campaign in earnest. The King has contemplated intervening and swaying votes, but he is not sure if he will yet and to what end.

kSh6zrn.jpg

America's industrial program has started off a bit slowly, but new factories are being constructed. A clipper factory was saved from bankruptcy in Georgia, while a Steel factory has been completed in New York. New York and Pennsylvania are becoming engines of the military-industrial complex the King is hoping to create. Capitalists are building a Luxury furniture factory and a Paper Mill in Virginia and Illinois, to the King's approval (if slight confusion)

aNCdJOi.jpg

A major effort has focused on rails. A line currently connects Boston to Richmond, and a major expansion is on the way to connect New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis to New York. Several frigates are being added to the Royal Navy and the 1st Royal Army is seeing an addition of two new artillery brigades; soon the Americans will have 63,000 men under arms. Clergymen are being recruited, particularly in Hispolania, to convert the populace and ensure they become literate. Industrial technology is in a boom period due to American industrial policies.

GZYWOdT.jpg

Our financial situation; currently the Kingdom is in the green, with high taxes on the peasants and light taxation for the aristocracy and middle class. Tariffs remain high as an engine for our spending in the military, administration, and education

OULAw18.jpg

The American military is not yet primed to challenge either Britain or France, and so one advisers earlier suggestion to take land around the Caribbean is being taken, specifically against Venezuela. It will be an excellent foothold in the south to further expand into the rich lands of Brazil.

Np61sid.jpg

A view of the Kingdom's borders. We will make the Caribbean an American lake!

9HnUSqr.jpg

That's the current situation; we have knocked Spain out of great power hood, and raised one spot to 5th. I'm currently 4th in industrial power, one point behind France, and I'm nearly half of Belgium's industrial power.​

Stretching your muscules, but slavery lurks like a cancer.

So, with me coming from reddit and all, will you catch this thread up to the current setting on reddit before resuming?
I'd assume that's the most reasonable plan.

Nalpt92.jpg

OOC: Welcome to another chapter. Yes I am updating this forum first as we get caught up to Reddit! I'm trying to do 1 per day or 1 every other so I don't overwhelm people. With that, enjoy :)

The Kings of America (1840-1844)

yXXZljV.jpg

The resignation of Prime Minister Calhoun forced in a caretaker government under Richard Johnson. A spending bill was quickly rammed through while much of Congress was on recess, and then he resigned. A rump parliament remained, with many of its sitting members campaigning in the election of 1840. King Augustus II took on the role as de facto head of government as Congress divided itself into cliques. The Calhoun Ministry created significant tensions within Congress, breaking apart old political alliances and forging new ones.

The Whigs retained much of their former spirit with Henry Clay, who promoted a peaceful foreign policy, an end to government overreach in the economy, and a lowering of tariffs. He argued that when one looked at Britain's efforts with the Corn Laws, it was a major stimulus for the economy, and allowed industry to grow rapidly in the country. The Whigs were also an anti-military party, earning the ire of the King. They found supporters in Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, New Orleans, and Massachusetts.

The Grand Party was a mishmash party with no clear agenda, a fact that hurt them greatly in the elections. There was no unified leader or voice to speak for them, and instead it was a party that campaigned on "compromise" to try to ensure that pro and anti-slavery forces did not tear apart the Kingdom. One message was said in New York, and another in Virginia, and another still in Missouri. However, it was effective in gaining support, and by the end of the election, The Grand Party would receive the most seats.

Finally, the Knights of Colombia joined the fray, led by the energetic James K. Polk. He argued passionately for continued industrial modernization, and military expansion in Latin America. There was some support in Tennessee, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, but most of their seats came from the aristocratic dominance in Alabama and Mississippi.

1z6bYA3.jpg

In the midst of the election of 1840, a national crisis emerged between American settlers in Florida and the Seminole Indians. A land surveyor was supposedly murdered, and in the process of hunting down the culprits, a major religious site was trampled upon. The Seminoles demanded an apology, and the American government naturally refused.

dmQnU26.jpg

This would begin the Third Seminole War, a brutal conflict fought in the swamps of Florida against an enemy that seemed to melt away at will. American strategy was to simply burn anything that might be able to sustain a guerrilla war-fighting populace, and by 1843, the Seminoles surrendered and were exiled to Oklahoma.

e6tEtHP.png

As one crisis emerged in the south, another emerged in the north. Rhode Island was a textbook example of American disenfranchisement, with over 60% of the adult male's votes being useless. Significant wealth and property were needed to have a real vote in Rhode Island elections, and in 1840, a group of lower class men rebelled, led by Thomas William Dorr. The rebellion was a combination of strikes, civil disobedience, but as their demands went unmet, they seized an arsenal in Providence. The rebellion inspired others in neighboring New York and Connecticut.

E7YckJf.jpg

Due to the effects of the Dorr Rebellion, Weighted Wealth voting was removed, in favor of true Universal voting for all White men. The King lamented "Allowing every beggar, vagrant, and drunkard to vote will be a disaster", but was forced to approve due to popular pressure. He contemplated firing on the protesters, but worried that with rising tensions between the North and South, the last thing the country needed was a mass rebellion.

Xb0gJsH.png

The Grand Party ended up with the most seats in Congress, but were divided on who might represent them. A split in the party emerged between those who wanted Charles Dudley from New York, and those who wanted anyone but him.

July ended without a Prime Minister, and so King Augustus felt it was within his rights to appoint a minister of his choosing. He selected James K. Polk, leader of the Knights of Colombia; he was a slaveholding aristocrat from Tennessee and was passionately pro military. King Augustus would write "in my thirty years as King, I have never, NEVER met a man whom I could work with quite like I could with Polk."

Polk decided to work with a minority government, and would create mini coalitions to pass bills as needed. Taxes on the poor remained high to finance further construction and the Royal Navy, as well as the coming wars of expansion in South America.

gj00h8s.jpg

Venezuela was seen as an excellent first target. It had a weak army with no allies, and could be quickly overrun. War was declared on October 11th and the landings at Caracas began with only minimal resistance offered by the Venezuelans.

Ntxs7jt.jpg

Overseas, rumblings of discontent were heard in Prussia and the other German states. Relations between Prussia and America improved by the King's direction, in hopes that earlier issues between the two could be repaired over mutual dislike over peasant uprisings.

oK0a88i.jpg

In his later years, King Augustus grew more paranoid about the threats to the crown. He declared "Catholicism, moral degeneracy, and pacifism" were the root causes of all issues within America, and supported the religious movements that worked against these evil forces.

aM2ydle.jpg

One such aspect was the Temperance League. An initiative sponsored with royal resources, it was decided that such a project could only be supported. Anti-drinking laws were enacted, making it harder for businesses to sell alcohol. The King entertained the idea of pushing an alcohol ban, but Prime Minister Polk balked, noting that taxes on alcohol were providing vital funds for the army in Venezuela.

uMiOzK6.jpg

Poorly equipped Venezuelan soldiers were no match for the well equipped Royal Army. Peasants were mobilized to fight, but for the most part were ineffective due to a complete lack of artillery. The war became one of attrition, with Venezuelan troops attempting to fight back from the rain forests and hills to little effect.

HzOe0ns.jpg

A part of the moralist push by King Augustus saw royal sponsorship of poets, philosophers, writers, and artists who promoted a Christian, monarchist world view. One such beneficiary was Ralph Waldo Emerson, whose essays earned him national attention and royal patronage; Emerson would grow to become one of America's first major cultural figures, and the Hohenzollern dynasty would share in his glory.

NK88g5m.jpg

The Venezuela War ended with an overwhelming American victory. Most of Venezuela was occupied, and both Zulia and Bolivar were added to the Kingdom as slave holding commonwealths. Venezuela went bankrupt from the war due to loss of revenue, and the Treaty of Charleston forced Venezuela to recognize American control in exchange for a loan to keep the government running.

C1IoG3b.jpg

Polk's expansion of slavery infuriated abolitionists. Many in the movement felt that while some Grand Party members denounced slavery in their campaigns, they were quite willing to trade new slave states for high tariffs, while the Whigs advocated for the issue to be decided region by region. With the situation in Congress seeming hopeless, several abolitionists attempted to hold a rally in North Carolina. Local authorities (with royal assent) made arrangements to disrupt the rally. The King had mixed feelings on slavery. On one hand, he did worry that slavery held back the nation's industry, noting that his uncle, Frederick the Great had abolished serfdom in Prussia to great effect. However, the King's personal income was largely made up from plantations and slaves he owned, and as a matter of course, the crown took possession of large amounts of land in Venezuela. It was a tricky enough matter for the crown that King Augustus decided to remain silent on the matter as the debate raged in the country.

D5aYe1m.jpg

After several years of poor relations with the United Kingdom, America's expansion into South America and threat to Britain's remaining holdings in the Western Hemisphere prompted London to seek a diplomatic accommodation with Columbia, The Webster-Ashburton Treaty resolved several disputes between the two powers, particularly in New England and in Minnesota, as well as in Minnesota. In addition, America agreed to outlaw third nation ships from exporting slaves into America; Britain's stance on slavery was becoming increasingly hardline, though it did not wish to confront America directly over such a matter. Though long term the King saw Britain as an enemy whose Canadian holdings would need to be conquered, he knew that for now America's best option was peace, not war.

5dwI02d.jpg

The treaty, which involved Britain ceding disputed territories to the Kingdom of America was a major boon for King Augustus, and an increase in his personal prestige. Already popular from the victories over Spain and Venezuela, he decided to use that moment to solidify the Acts of Succession, recognizing his daughter, Princess Charlotte Augusta as his heiress. Still only sixteen years old, the question of her marriage became a significant foreign policy decision for the American government. The great powers of Europe for the most part were hostile to America due to the Spanish-American War aside from France, but Princess Charlotte made it quite clear that she had no interest in marrying a Catholic. Though relations with Britain were repaired, the House of Hanover had no suitable princes of age for the Princess to marry, and the idea of a British King would rankle many. For his part, King Augustus determined he would prefer a prince from a German principality, and so the search became focused in Northern Germany.

BDHExIy.jpg

Following the success of Venezuela, many Southerners became enamored with the idea of creating several slave holding provinces in Central and South America. The idea was simple; the lands were ripe for exploitation, and elite replacement could be conducted easily; some local land owners might be bought off, others killed, and most lands would fall under the control of the American aristocracy. They formed a society within the Knights of Colombia, the Knights of the Golden Circle, and looked for opportunities to further their plans.

One such ambitious individual was William Walker of Tennessee. A family friend of Prime Minister Polk, a nephew of the Senator from Michigan, and barely 18, he used the Knights for funding to assemble a small mercenary army. His group saw Honduras as an easy target, and with 800 men, they launched an invasion.

wvwJEkE.jpg

The plan was incredibly ill-conceived. The 800 men were able to set up a fort on the coast, and within a month, the fort was completely surrounded by Honduran troops. Over the next two months, half of the men died to disease and starvation. It was so ridiculous, that the New York Daily Post noted "It is quite likely that Southern interests tricked Walker, in hopes that American troops would rescue the expedition."

VOxfdKc.jpg

If that was indeed the plan, it did work. Prime Minister Pierce convinced the King to declare war and authorize an invasion to rescue the freebooters. With barely 6,000 men in their army, Honduras was completely unable to offer effective resistance against the American forces. The Battle of Tegucigalpa barely caused any casualties to the American forces, and in light of the success there, the King authorized the American troops to establish Crown rule over Honduras.

WG3KqlK.jpg

A political headache would emerge with the Amistad Decision; per one of the clauses of the Webster-Ashburton treaty, third-nation slaving was expressly illegal in America; a law the Amistad from Spain was in direct violation of. The slaves were freed, and the decision by the Supreme Court was a major boost to the abolitionist cause.

Upon hearing the decision, King Augustus (who had appointed all nine of the justices) lamented "All of these men, who had offered oaths of loyalty to me, have made a headache of this slavery issue. Would I have known that they would cause me such problems! I hope this might soon be resolved before Charlotte comes to the throne, for it may very well cause the downfall of our Kingdom."

ZUUUPCZ.jpg

Honduras lasted only a few months before surrendering, being annexed as a slave commonwealth. This was quite popular among the masses, with American nationalism on the rise. However, the move continued to galvanize the abolitionist movement in the North, which seemed to grow stronger each passing week.

PiIK3q7.jpg

Slavery was not forced upon the inhabitants of Venezuela or Honduras directly, but many were imprisoned and in some cases transferred to prisons in the American South. It became acceptable to use these prisoners as slave labor and eventually even white prisoners were forced into this arrangement. King Augustus endorsed their methods, and expanded them their use throughout the Kingdom.

PTe6n3X.jpg

Popular frustration in slaveholder interests forced an increase in voting rights and privileges; districts in America were significantly gerrymandered in favor of whatever party was in power at the state level. Several districts were redrawn, though a secret, non partisan ballot remained off the table. It was hoped that this popular reform would reduce the tensions over slavery, though it seemed to barely have an effect.

WdO8nRf.png

Thankfully, this frustration was targeted towards Polk and Congress, not the monarchy. A suitable prince of Schleswig-Holstein, Prince Julius from House Glücksburg was considered by polite American society as "a good man, strong in mind, body, and faith." They were married in a lavish ceremony in Columbia, and the Prince was granted the title of the Duke of Albany. With political tensions in Congress mounting, many Americans were quite happy to have a distraction from the political news of the day.

yM1eDig.jpg

With Colombia allied with several regional players, Polk felt that it would be ill-advised to take them on; however, El Salvador was weak, with no allies, and would provide Pacific coast ports that could easily be taken and connected with American Tegucigalpa. Several shipping firms lobbied for the war, seeing it as an excellent opportunity to gain a port that would facilitate easier trade in Asia that would line their pockets. War was declared, and most expected a quick victory.

S2WXdBu.jpg

dz0eB6D.jpg

In mid 1843, the King's popularity seemed to be at an all-time high. The King gained all the benefits of Polk's policies, the industrial investment and the wars of conquest, without any of the negative associations of the high taxes and the expansion of slavery. However that popularity collapsed on July 4th, 1843.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts had recently passed a law, restricting child labor, and several others passed similar laws. Many in the Whigs and some in the Grand Party supported a bill to make it federal law. It passed Congress, and awaited the King's signature. Many thought he would sign, but in his annual speech on the 4th of July, what started as an honoring of the soldiers fighting in Central America, eventually turned to the merits of child labor. He argued that the American child learned best not in a school, but rather in a mine or a factory.

NhcBYit.jpg

The capital was stunned, and newspapers carried critical reviews of the speech across the country. The reform was dead on the federal level though, and the White Palace felt that fervor over the issue would die off in the coming days. However, not five days after, a scandal at Fort Bonneville occurred; a child, no older than ten, had died in the coal mines. The reaction was severe, and several leading newspapers denounced the King and his ill-advised policies.

vMyCi0R.jpg

The King grew increasingly frustrated with the negative coverage. "All my life" he said "I have tried to govern with conviction, justice, and within limits of the Constitution. And yet they seem to want me to be no more than a figurehead, a puppet. That is not a destiny for a King...perhaps my uncle was right that America was not destined for a King?" On July 10th, 1843, the King visited Fort Henry that defended the capital from invasion by sea. Named for his father, he spent the day inspecting the artillery but felt ill and decided to return to the palace earlier than planned. That evening, the King passed away.

06zjncA.jpg

At seven o'clock in the morning, Prime Minister Polk and his deputy, George Dallas, informed the Crown Princess that effective immediately, she would become, By Grace of God, Queen Charlotte Augusta of America, Lady Columbia, and Defender of the Faith. Her coronation would be scheduled for early 1844.

QRI174s.jpg

The settlement of Oregon was considered a major milestone for American expansion; at last the nation had an unbroken expanse of land between the Pacific and Atlantic. Due to the Rockies, it was still easier to reach Asia via New Orleans and American Honduras, but it was still considered a major event.

yPcDgfE.jpg

The Queen would be the one to receive the submission of El Salvador, which was made a slave commonwealth as well. The Queen was pressured by her husband to not extend slavery, but ultimately decided to abide by the decision of Congress and approved.

7oycTha.jpg

With several victories under the Kingdom, the Queen ordered a victory parade, in honor of the soldiers who fought, as well as her father who lead them to victory. The British ambassador noted "The Americans have at last discovered their pomp and circumstance, and it is rather impressive...the Queen and her consort are impressive and are loved by the crowd, and it seems the controversy of the previous King has not tarred her."

22xO9sZ.jpg

At the start of 1844, elections were called once more; Polk was determined to stand for re-election. America had grown significantly; potential new targets include Colombia, whose alliance with Mexico has ended, and Mexico itself, which sits on prime land that would make fine additions to America; Deputy Prime Minister Dallas has even advocated for a complete annexation of Mexico.

7WsLapC.jpg

American West Africa

o1ceodT.jpg

UC1jEYI.jpg

lNk8uSl.jpg

NxZexrl.jpg

GjoQ3kN.jpg

Our factory situation. It seems we have a shortage of workers....

vWZBGzX.jpg

War with Mexico is likely to be our next major foreign policy goal, though Brazil and Britain still loom as threats. We are thankfully being shown our proper respect in the world, and hopefully Her Majesty's dominions shall reach from Atlantic to Pacific.​

Crush Mexico! Remember the Alamo!

I do wonder if a civil war might be the North seceeding ...