The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The End of History, Part 41

Kiev – August 17, 1985

The wait was excruciating, even for someone like Olga. She was normally a very patient person. The academy drilled that into her. Tail the target until an opportunity appears, and then strike with everything she had. Only there was no human target in this situation. Was this what Irina felt every time she waited for the date of the week to call her back? Did the General Secretary know she had the key and asked the archives to drag out its renovations to test her?

It was a good thing that the archives reopened when it did, because one more day and she would’ve burned down Vladimir’s apartment, because Molotov’s dacha was too far away. As soon as the five-hour reopening ceremony concluded (why did every single government building get an elaborate dedication or rededication ceremony?), Olga put on her uniform (the usual one, which thankfully came with pants) and walked down to the building. Good thing it was only a couple blocks away from her apartment.

She’d talked to Irina before she headed out. As expected, Irina wanted to play things safe. As much as she wanted to know what went down in Prague, she thought this was far too dangerous, even by Olga’s standards.

“There’s a reason that agent gave you that keycard,” she told Olga, “Especially one that belonged to Molotov himself. He probably stole it. You know the punishment for stealing?”

“Relax, Irina,” Olga replied, “It’ll be fine. I’ll just get in and out in under an hour.”

“Olga, this is different from your missions,” said Irina, “You operated in other countries. You had support. This is your own country. You’re going up against your own comrades.”

“Irina, there’s a reason the General Secretary’s hiding something for me,” said Olga.

“What if it’s a trap?” said Irina. “What if there’s nothing hidden? Can we trust Agent Putin? Can we trust Molotov? What about me? I’m a target too!”

“Irina, I promise you’ll be okay,” said Olga, “I won’t put you in danger. But there’s something fishy going on here, and I’m going to get to the bottom of this.”

To be sure, Olga called in a favor from one of the cosmonauts she met. Svetlana Savitskaya seemed nice enough to offer Irina free room and board for a few weeks.

Yes, there was something suspicious, but Olga had her doubts as to exactly what it was. She couldn’t exactly trust anybody she recently dealt with. Vladimir wasn’t a trustworthy guy. This went behind the normal assassination-espionage rivalry at the academy. He seemed like he was hiding something from her. And why would Molotov undermine the authority of a fellow General Secretary? Granted, Vladimir probably stole his keycard, but none of this made sense. Why would Molotov be meeting Vladimir to begin with?

She had her doubts about the General Secretary too. He was very secretive, what with the recent setbacks in Siberia and especially Vienna. Secrecy was part of his job (her friends joked that was why the job was called “General Secretary”), but he acted like he was hiding a lot of important things from her personally. Why had he sent her to Vienna? Surely there were veteran agents who could take down the Valkyrie, aided by several dozen army units of course. They had captured her with less at Tempelhof shortly after Gorbachev died. And as for Gorbachev himself…everybody knew who killed him. It was too obvious. But nobody dared accuse the General Secretary to his face, because that was a one-way ticket to the front. Why did the General Secretary get personally involved in the Vienna mission? He did have his personal feud with the Valkyrie, but she had been defeated now. Why Olga? Why was she chosen? He could’ve sent Vladimir himself.

What happened after Vienna was also suspicious. Dozens of awards and recognitions. Hundreds of ceremonies, invitations to Party meetings, and photo-ops with cosmonauts like Svetlana, the only cosmonaut she liked and trusted (Gagarin was arrogant, like the rest of the male cosmonauts, and Tereshkova was too dedicated to her Party work). Irina got fancy cars, designer handbags and fancy dresses (smuggled from the Reich, ironically), and “introductions” to eligible young Party apparatchiks or Army officers. It was nice at first, but after a month it got a little too excessive, as if the General Secretary wanted to distract her from other issues. She hadn’t been given any new missions either. Some of her friends had even died in the meantime. She had to get to the bottom of this.

Olga walked through the towering two-feet thick steel-reinforced entrance of the archives and approached the front desk.

“State your name and purpose,” intoned the bored guard on duty, as if reading from a script.

Olga held up her badge. “Agent Kirova,” she said, “Comrade Molotov sent me to retrieve some of his stuff from the Great Patriotic War.”

The old man yawned. “You KGB kids,” he muttered, “Always demanding stuff. Not like the old NKVD guys. What do I get in return? Not even a little recognition!”

Out of view of the camera, she slipped a small envelope to him. “Wipe the cameras, and if anyone asks, say it was Agent Putin.”

The guard eagerly counted the bills inside the envelope. “Move along,” he said.

Olga stepped into the elevator and closed the doors. It had gotten ridiculously easy to bribe everybody in this city. It helped that the KGB approved every request for a raise, especially after Vienna and the ensuing “compensation.” And if the guard reneged, she had Vladimir’s pen, and there wouldn’t be any footage.

She inserted Molotov’s keycard and called the bottommost floor. The elevator lurched downwards at a sluggish pace. Everything moved slowly in Kiev, due to a lack of electricity. The power plants in the west were working overtime, but the enemy’s strategic bombers had knocked many out of commission, and China had taken over many plants in the east, forcing the government to impose a ration on the remaining electricity. The horrible music (an unholy folk music/propaganda brass/classical Shostakovich/Party-created “rock and roll” abomination) didn’t speed things up at all.

After a full minute of descent, the elevator dinged, and Olga found herself in a large warehouse-like room filled with rows upon rows of filing cabinets. Large signs on the ceiling organized the cabinets by year, spanning from 1918 to 1984, and then by alphabet. She spent another five minutes walking down to the 1972 section and then to the “п” section. It was easy to find something on Prague there. Just about the entire “п” section was filled with files regarding operations in Prague during the invasion, both KGB and Army. All that remained was to find what she needed. After looking around and determining there were no cameras or recording devices down there (she activated Vladimir’s pen just in case), she eagerly searched the cabinets, digging for anything relevant to her situation.

Olga finally fished out a large file, bookmarked July 24-28, 1972, near the time her parents died, and dropped it onto a nearby desk with a heavy thud. The seal of the KGB and the usual Party hammer-and-sickle insignia were stamped on the cover, under the words “CONFIDENTIAL – CLASSIFIED ON ORDERS OF GENERAL SECRETARY L. BREZHNEV AND COLONEL V. VARENNIKOV.”

So Vladimir did tell her the truth when he claimed the General Secretary hid something from her. She never thought he would be keeping secrets about her.

She opened the file, and two photos, crinkled and yellowed with age, slipped out and gently came to a rest on her lap. They were portraits, like those found on driver’s licenses, and they reminded her of her KGB badge. Not just because they were profile portraits, but also because they were faces she hadn’t seen in a long time.

One was of a young man in his thirties with a traditional Kaiser Otto mustache, a high nose, and bright blue eyes. His black hair was arranged in neat little curls, and his ears jutted out from the sides of his head, like Einstein’s ears. His face wasn’t rugged like that of a soldier. If anything, he looked like an academic, and his warm look up at her betrayed a gentle personality. His smile was kind and relaxed, like he had nothing but love in his heart. Olga knew there was nobody like him in Russia. The climate simply wouldn’t agree with him. Most strikingly, he remarkably resembled Irina. Her sister had his eyes, hair, and especially his ears. The girls at the orphanage mocked her as Dumbo because of that. The caption read “Agent Kirov, B.”

The second photo was of a young woman around the same age as the man. Her features were delicate like a ballerina at the Bolshoi, but not too delicate to be easily shattered. Her skin was light enough to remind Olga of sunlight, which was hard to come by in Kiev’s recent overcast and smog-filled weeks. Her beautifully braided blond hair rested on her shoulder. Her nose was tall and noble, like the man’s. Her steely brown eyes simultaneously captivated and captured, outwardly conveying a playful innocence while hiding a calculating interior always scanning the surroundings for useful information. Her smile was brighter than the man’s, though there was a hint of reservation, as if she was holding back. For a few seconds, Olga was convinced that this portrait was of her, despite its age. She had her eyes and complexion. She braided her blond hair the same way and let it rest on her shoulders the same way. She had that same look, that same smile. But it wasn’t her. The caption read “Agent Kirova, T.”

Olga felt a little overwhelmed for a couple seconds, taking in the sight of her parents’ faces for the first time in thirteen years. Then she looked closer and noticed the details. She did something she had never done before: she gasped in surprise, no, shock.

Her parents wore Tsarist uniforms, proudly wearing the coat of arms of the Rurikovich dynasty.

“What?!” Olga hissed to herself, her words echoing through the large chamber.

She tried explaining the discrepancy to herself. Perhaps the uniforms were for an infiltration of Tsarist intelligence. But why would they wear their uniforms for an official portrait that would go on their badges? And even if they did do that (some agents at the academy certainly did that, whether out of sheer incompetence, youth rebellion, or for lack of time before deployment), why would they wear the coat of arms? The KGB forbid all foreign national symbols in official portraits other than the hammer and sickle insignia. This went against protocol. But here her parents were, wearing the uniforms of the enemy. If they weren’t infiltrating the enemy, then what else could explain dressing like a Tsarist?

Her stomach uneasily turned over as she processed the information, concluding something she did not want to conclude. They weren’t KGB infiltrating Tsarist intelligence. They were Tsarist intelligence infiltrating the KGB.

It was impossible, but at the same time it made sense. It certainly explained why the General Secretary went to extreme lengths to hide this from her. Obviously, the knowledge that her parents were enemy spies would distress her, compromising her performance, not to mention increasing the chances she went rogue, which by the way she was seriously considering now.

But this wasn’t the end of her questions. Now that she knew who her parents were, she asked the logical next question: who killed them, and why? She now knew that the Valkyrie killing them was also a lie. The Valkyrie wouldn’t gain anything from killing them, and judging from the frequency of mentions of her on the first page, she probably was their associate. If the Valkyrie didn’t do it, who did? The General Secretary? Everything pointed towards him, but the first page was surprisingly light on mentions of Valentin Varennikov.

And all of this was just on the first page, to say nothing of the rest of the file. One page and two pictures had already upended everything she knew about herself. She dreaded reading the rest of the file. Part of her wished she had trusted Valentin keeping this a secret and never learned about the truth. Another part of her demanded to know what happened in Prague and how Valentin was involved. And another part frantically flashed warnings in her mind, ordering her to put down the file and run away as quickly as possible.

Despite all that, she found her hands flipping to the next page, and she started reading.

Prague – July 24, 1972

The doorbell suddenly chimed. Tatiana Kirova, stirring a pot of guláš stew, cursed. “Could you get that, Boris?” she shouted. “I’m a bit busy right now!”

“Sure thing, love,” said Boris, instantly appearing at the foot of the stairs. Buttoning up his shirt, he swung open the door.

A cacophony of hellos and other greetings filled the small house, and Tatiana remembered what she had planned tonight. She quickly set down her dipper, turned off the heat, and joined Boris at the front door, where he had just welcomed in some old friends.

“How’re you doing, man?” Alek Novak embraced Boris in a brotherly hug. “Been too long!”

“It’s only been a week, Alek,” said Boris, “A slow week at the embassy, at that.”

“At least you haven’t been chased by tanks!” replied Alek, slapping Boris on the back. “You Tsarist types get all the fun!”

“Tatiana!” greeted Nina, wrapping Tatiana in a tight hug, “How’re you doing?”

“Fine, fine,” said Tatiana, “The usual, actually. And you?”

“Making sure Alek doesn’t get run over by those tanks, which is surprisingly easier than both of us expected,” said Nina, “I imagine you guys have all the fun!”

“Not really,” said Tatiana, “It’s been a slow week.”

“Come on, Tatiana,” said Nina, “Don’t ruin the moment! Why are you always so gloomy?”

“I’m just being careful,” said Tatiana, “It’s part of the job.”

Two little kids, a boy and a girl, shoved their way through Alek’s and Nina’s legs, chasing each other across the carpet.

“Pavel! Theresa!” shouted Alek. “Get back here and greet Herr and Frau Kirov!”

Pavel and Theresa instead jumped on the couch and hitting each other with pillows.

“Kids these days,” muttered Nina, “You know how they are.”

“Olga and Irina are well behaved, for toddlers at least,” said Boris, “Though I wish we had someone like Frau Navratilova to look after them. By the way, where is she?”

“Getting the schnitzel from the car,” said Nina, “Hope you guys like smažený sýr.”

A brown-haired woman in her forties, wearing casual and unassuming clothes, barged through the door, a wrapped tray of schnitzel in her arms. “Oh, excuse me,” Anne said, wobbling as if she were drunk on beer, “Got to set this down somewhere.”

“You’re acting up again, my friend,” said Tatiana, “Why do you always fake that clumsiness?”

“Keeps away the secret police,” Anne quipped, “They never suspect a drunk woman. Not that there are any secret police in these parts.”

She shuffled over to the counter and set down the schnitzel.

“Now that we’re all here, we can start dinner,” Tatiana said, “And get to business.”

“Olga! Irina!” shouted Boris. “Dinner’s ready!”

“Pavel! Theresa!” shouted Alek. “Do I have to call you again?”

Two little girls tumbled down the stairs like rocks in a landslide, giggling at the top of their lungs just as Pavel and Theresa ran past. The four kids slammed into each other and found themselves tangled up with each other. Instead of crying, they simply laughed harder, except for Pavel, who looked annoyed.

“Kids these days,” said Tatiana to Nina, “You know how they are.”

“Behold,” joked Nina, “The generation that will bring the equalists to their knees.”

“You jest, but you’re probably going to be correct,” said Tatiana.

“Not that any of us will be around to see it,” Alek interjected, “Given how things are now.”

“Who’s the gloomy one now?” Boris retorted, and the two men howled with laughter, slapping each other on the back.

After a few minutes, the Novaks and Kirovs managed to drag their kids to the table, sit them in their seats, and kept them seated with chocolate Anne smuggled from the Reich. Boris served everybody a bowl of goulash soup and placed a platter of grapes in the middle of the table. Tatiana tuned the radio to a classical music channel.

“I’m glad I didn’t bring my kids,” Anne muttered.

“Irina, would you mind saying the prayer?” asked Boris.

Six-year-old Irina bowed her head and clasped her hands. “Mighty Rod, reigning from above, creator of all past, present, and future, complete and absolute, one and indivisible, your will be manifested through Svarog and Lada, Perun and Veles, and your sons and daughters above, on, and under the earth. May you bless our harvest and forgive our failings as we forgive those who wish harm on us. Save us from the coming Times of Troubles, deliver us from the Black God, Chernobog, and protect the faithful. So it shall be.”

“So it shall be,” repeated Tatiana, Boris, and Olga.

“Theresa, could you do the honors?” asked Alek.

Theresa bowed her head. “O Christ God, bless the food and drink of thy servants, for holy art thou, always, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.”

“Amen,” repeated Nina, Alek, and Pavel.

Theresa finished by making the sign of the cross over the food with her right hand. Everybody then looked expectantly at Anne.

Anne took a deep breath and looked down at her plate, clasping her hands in prayer. “Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu, Melekh ha'olam, bo're minei m'zonot. Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, Who creates varieties of nourishment.”

“Dig in, everybody!” Tatiana chimed in. “Eat and be merry!”

They all dug into the goulash. Pavel and Theresa slurped it down, while Olga and Irina took their time with it. Anne drank much slower than everybody else. Tatiana could tell her mind was focused on other things.

They finished the soup, and Tatiana and Boris got up to take away the bowls, which they quickly replaced with the schnitzel Anne brought. It was clear that the schnitzel was a hit, as all four toddlers eagerly wolfed if down and banged on their empty plates. “More!” they cheered.

“How’s the Soviet embassy treating you these days, Boris?” asked Alek, his mouth stuffed.

“The usual,” said Boris, “Dull work. Filing papers. Not as glamorous as whatever you have.”

“Throwing rocks at soldiers gets boring after the hundredth guy,” said Alek, “And I’m not sure if it’s even working. I mean, the embassy’s still open. They seem confident enough.”

“It’s not working,” said Boris, “Dubcek was our only hope of getting the world on our side. Then they tortured a surrender out of him…”

“And Shady Scheel’s off being a pacifist murderer again,” muttered Nina, “And the Security Council will probably forget about us, given the intensity of the Soviet ambassador’s lobbying. Erica told Anne and me the tanks entered the outer districts yesterday. We should plan our escape while we still can.”
“We have our orders,” said Tatiana, “And we would never leave you behind.”

“We don’t have the papers to enter the Reich,” said Alek, “And they’ll shoot us if we approach the Tsarist embassy.”

“I’ll pull some strings,” said Tatiana, “We’ll scout out a path to the Roman embassy, then. We’re going there tomorrow anyways.”

“What about the mole?” asked Nina. “I thought Vlk’s still out there.”

“Vaclav’s working on it,” said Boris, “Jan’s death won’t be in vain.”

“Hey, Jan was our friend too,” said Alek, “Vlk will get what he deserves for killing one of us.”

“I’m not sure you Resistance types are equipped to find a professional spy,” Tatiana countered, “But don’t worry. The Athanatoi’s helping us.”

She glanced at Anne, who so had far eaten silently. “Enjoying the food, Frau Navratilova?”

Anne absentmindedly poked at her food. “I made this schnitzel,” she muttered, “It not as good as last time.”

“Oh, no, don’t be too humble!” exclaimed Tatiana. “It’s perfect! The kids love it! You seen how quickly they finished?”

“My little girl wouldn’t be impressed,” said Anne, rolling her eyes, “Diana’s so picky.”

“That’s no excuse to not eat,” said Tatiana, “You barely touched it, and you made it.”

“I am eating,” replied Anne, spearing the schnitzel with her fork.

“You’ve been here six years, Anna,” said Nina, “And I’ve never seen you like this before. What’s going on?”

“I haven’t seen my kids in so long,” Anne admitted, “I’ve spent six years here with you guys and only a couple months at home, and this after that stint in ‘am I told you about. Diana celebrated her ninth birthday this year, and I missed it, like the last five. I haven’t seen Tobias that much since he was one or two. And here I am, celebrating Pavel’s and Theresa’s and Olga’s and Irina’s birthdays, not Diana’s and Tobias’s.”

“Come on, Anne,” said Alek, “Don’t be so down on yourself. I’m sure they look up to you. You’re their hero. Risking your life to help us …that takes courage many men severely lack.”

“I mean, if this wasn’t my job, I wouldn’t come here,” joked Boris, “No offense.”

Alek laughed. “Oh, Boris,” he said, “Your jokes are a national treasure. The Tsaritsa should give you a title or something, like what they did with Shakespeare!”

“I just want some beer,” replied Boris, “And then we can talk about national treasures.”

Alek cracked open two bottles and handed one to him. “It’s on!” he boasted, and the two men walked out of the room, probably on their way to the basement. “Let’s see if Haifa’s on!”

“Go A’s!” replied Boris, pumping his fists.

“Personally, I prefer coffee,” said Anne.

“I concur,” Nina added.

“Me too,” said Tatiana, “Beer’s a little overrated these days.”

Her eyes widened. “Oh no,” she realized, “I forgot the guláš. Anne, could you help me?”

“Sure,” said Anne.

The two women hurried to the kitchen, where Anne reached for the heavy pot, expecting Tatiana to grab the other handle. Tatiana stood back, her arms crossed.

“Anne, lighten up,” said Tatiana, “What’s going on? You’re never this gloomy.”

“You think I want to be like this?” snapped Anne. “Everything’s falling apart. This mission’s one wrong step from exploding in our faces. Prague’s burning. Bohemia’s a lost cause. Why are we so cheerful when everybody’s being shot by tanks?”

“Anne, how long have we been friends?” said Tatiana. “Five years? We’ve been through much worse before. You’ve been through a lot too, haven’t you?”

“History’s repeating itself,” said Anne, “I was there when Budapest fell, sixteen years ago. We haven’t learned from Budapest, have we?”

“The Reich won’t let Prague fall,” said Tatiana.

“You’re so optimistic,” said Anne, “Just like I was when I was younger. Tatiana, Scheel doesn’t care about us. The UN doesn’t care. The world doesn’t care. Nobody cares.”

“Then what do you want us to do?” said Tatiana. “Pack up and abandon everybody?”

“I’d suggest we get out of here while we still can,” said Anne, “Before your cover’s blown by that Vlk fellow. You know how the KGB treats Tsarist spies. Remember Gustaf?”

“Exactly,” said Tatiana, “I’m not leaving this city, Anne, not until I finish my mission.”

“And what are Stockholm’s orders?” replied Anne. “Coordinate the Resistance? Wait for support from the UN? Because the Resistance is on its last legs, Tatiana. And the UN won’t help us, now that Scheel’s turned his back.”

“My orders, and Boris’s, are to find Vlk and kill him before he kills the rest of us,” said Tatiana, “Yes, Stockholm is aware of the situation. They’re aware of the threat Vlk poses. They need us to eliminate him and get his targets to safety before he exposes us all. Then we can talk about leaving this place.”

“You brought your kids here,” said Anne, “That makes four kids we have to look after. They’ll make our job a lot harder.”

“We had no choice,” said Tatiana, “Sending them to the Reich will make the KGB suspicious, and Boris can’t afford that. But we’ll protect them. We always do.”

She patted Anne on the shoulder. “Hang in there, Anne. Once Vlk’s gone, we’ll get out of here. We’ll go to the Reich. I’ve got citizenship, remember?”

“What about the Novaks?” asked Anne.

“We’ll find a way,” said Tatiana, “We’ll figure it out.”

“Like we always do,” said Anne.

Tatiana smiled. “That’s the spirit. Now, could you give me a hand with the stew?”

And there's the ugly truth. The Firebird's entire motivation to defeat the Valkyrie... a lie. Olga gonna bring some biblical levels of rage down on some people, I feel.

Chapter 438: The World Set on Fire, Part 4 – Seven Weeks to the River Danube
Sigh...
Here we go again:
*grabs pickelhaube*
*grabs mauser*
*hums Die schöne blaue Donau*

And there's the ugly truth. The Firebird's entire motivation to defeat the Valkyrie... a lie. Olga gonna bring some biblical levels of rage down on some people, I feel.
Somebody's going to die, I can say that.:eek:
Sigh...
Here we go again:
*grabs pickelhaube*
*grabs mauser*
*hums Die schöne blaue Donau*
Die Wacht am Rhein Siam Donau intensifies

The End of History, Part 42

Prague – July 25, 1972, morning

crackle

“…continues to burn. While the United Nations Security Council endlessly debates the incursion as a result of the Soviet delegation’s stalling and lobbying—” rat-tat-tat-tat “—Soviet infantry divisions are on the move towards the inner city districts and the Old City. The Warsaw Pact spared no expense—” bang “—for the final push. Behind me, rows of valiant rebel men and women desperately hold out against the—” BOOM “—tanks coming up the street. They’re so close you can just—” rat-tat-tat-tat “—hear their gears turning, feel their engines rumble against the ground, feel the heat they give off.” ROAR SHHHHHREEEEEEEEEEEE “Hear that? That’s the sound of a Soviet MiG a little bit over—” boom, boom “—my God, they hit the freaking hospital. You got that on tape? My God, are we still rolling? Did we really see that? Did that really happen?!” murmur “They’re telling me it’s not safe here, and we’re going to retreat to the river. Until then, we’ll sign off. Live from Prague, this is—” BOOM CRASH RATTATATATATATAT “—for RBC World News.”

crackle

Tatiana woke up early the next day, hauling her tired body out of bed and into her clothes. There was no alarm to puncture the quietness of the early morning. She didn’t want to wake her kids. As she dressed in camouflage and checked her pistol, she cursed herself, as she did every day, for bringing them here with her. Bringing children into an active warzone would convince the KGB of their loyalty and devotion to the “revolution,” but something nagged at her, warning her that one wrong move could end in disaster for Olga and Irina. She walked past their room and checked on them. There they were as they usually were, snug in their beds, their chests rising and falling regularly. Their faces were calm and serene. Occasionally, they’d wince or turn, no doubt caught up in another vivid dream, an adventure to keep their minds occupied for a while. Tatiana wished she could dream like they did. At least in dreams death just meant waking up.

After tying her hair in a ponytail, she joined Boris downstairs, where she found him listening to the radio. The reporter droned on through the static, as usual, about the progress of Soviet forces in the city. Nothing noteworthy, as the KGB itself was a better source in this situation.

“Morning, love,” said Boris, “You look great, as always.”

Tatiana looked at Boris again. He looked like he’d just fallen out of bed a minute ago. His hair was a tangled mess, though it could’ve been worse.

“I assume Haifa lost last night,” said Tatiana, “You’d look far worse if they won, going off what happened last week.”

“Freaking Siegfriedists,” said Boris, “Blame Frankfurt. But seriously, you’ve got to teach me how you do it, one of these days.”

“Do what?” replied Tatiana.

Boris gestured to his hair. “Even Alek’s got perfect hair. Bet Nina has something to do with it.”

He pushed a cup towards her. “Want some coffee? Got to drink something before we head out.”

Tatiana reached for the cup and pressed it to her lips, letting the fresh coffee warm and enrich her taste buds. She could almost feel her mind sharpening and focusing, buzzing with excitement as her body processed the caffeine. Too bad it wasn’t as good as Ethiopian coffee. One couldn’t get that many foreign products in Prague, especially at this time. She had to settle for far inferior Tawantinsuyuan imports, which was ironic since last she heard Tawantinsuyu was much farther away than Abyssinia.

Tatiana exhaled, a little steam billowing from her mouth, along with lots of tension and lethargy. “Is Anne here yet?”

Boris nodded to the phone on the counter. “Just got off the phone with her. She’ll be here before Olga and Irina wake up.”

“It’s a little funny,” Tatiana said, “The Valkyrie’s here to take care of our kids.”

“At least we know they’re in good hands, then!” Boris joked.

Tatiana smiled, trying not to laugh. “We should probably go,” she said, “Jaroslav’s waiting.”

Boris’s expression turned to one of brief dejection, followed by excitement. “Oh right! How could we forget Jaroslav? Let’s not keep him waiting.”

He tossed the car keys to Tatiana, who instinctively grabbed them with one hand. “You’re the faster driver, love,” Boris said, with another smile, “Probably won’t get lost as easily too. Vaclav’s got the perfect car for you.”

They walked outside and locked the door. Making sure nobody was watching them, Tatiana cautiously walked to a nondescript car waiting on the opposite curb and got in the driver’s seat, Boris riding shotgun. She stuffed the key in ignition and listened to the engine turning over, the old vehicle wheezing to life. After a few seconds, the wheezes subsided, replaced with a steady hum echoing through the frame of the car. Vaclav outdid himself this time. Normally, the best he would find was a ten-year-old Trabant, probably put on a waiting list ten years ago, whose steering wheel would fall off every other minute and whose engine was so underpowered a wad of chewing gum could probably hold it down. But his was one of the newer Trabants, seized from a car factory. Vaclav had attached a note saying the wheel had only fallen off twice during his test run last night. Tatiana had driven better, but this would do.

The streets of Prague weren’t always this quiet. Five years ago, it was “business as usual.” People walked with a friend or relative, never more than two, always keeping their heads down to avoid the ever-present secret police. Most people rode bikes back then, as cars were either expensive Russian imports (ironically associated with the Party and its cronies) or had nine-year-long wait lists. Old-timers hawked fresh produce from their stalls on the sidewalk, helping many get around the Party’s brutal and unrealistic quotas on food rations.

When Dubcek came to power, things slightly changed for the better. More emerged from the safety of their homes. Tatiana even got to meet a few “neighbors” she never knew existed. The secret police’s presence dwindled away to almost nothing. Laughter and joy filled the air, even a few songs, coming from both people and their radios tuned to Roman channels. The older ones dug out their old cars, which hadn’t seen the light of day since the war. The hawkers started selling better food, including ripe fruits, fresh vegetables, less rotted meat, and bread that, for the first time in the locals’ recent memory, was not stale. The better quality of their products attracted larger and larger crowds, with lines stretching around the block and reminding Tatiana of the original lines for government rations. The hawkers were ill-prepared when their new customers started bargaining for better prices, something that would never have occurred before.

None of this lasted, of course. The Soviets struck back when everybody least expected it. The first day it happened, confusion reigned. MiG fighters appeared from the clouds, raining down missiles at strategic military locations. Artillery hammered away at the outer districts, sending hundreds fleeing to the Inner City. Panic engulfed the streets. Hundreds stampeded to their homes and shelters. Cars were defaced with profanities, their windows smashed. People lobbed rocks at businesses, the secret police headquarters, and Party offices.

Over the next few weeks, people began fleeing Prague. The hawkers went first. They cashed in their profits, sold off what they still had, and got themselves and their families a (business-class) plane ticket to the Reich. Their departure opened the floodgates, and not even the closure of the airport by Soviet forces could shut them again. Tatiana’s neighbors, one by one, disappeared on the next train to the Reich without as much as a goodbye. Those with cars were last seen making their way to the jammed highways, hoping to drive across the border to the Reich before the Soviets shut it down. Even those with bicycles left, making their way to the station. The once-lively neighborhood was again silent and gloomy, its empty houses quickly filling with invading Soviet troops, squatters, and rebels. Tatiana’s neighborhood was mostly empty by now, with the rebels occupying half of the houses and leaving the rest to squatters. She knew end of the invasion wouldn’t change things. When the Soviets finally crushed the rebels, there would be no going back to 1968.

Tatiana pulled in front of an apartment complex, one of many the Party before Dubcek built as part of a subsidized housing program. Her first impression was that it was hideous. The brutalist exterior was just a plain concrete face and only a number distinguishing it from its neighbors. Her second impression was that it was cramped. Inside, the lobby was basically an average office cubicle, the elevator moved as fast as a turtle, and each residence was really a small room with a bathroom, cot, stove, and window. If it had been for one or two people, that would have been barely enough. But on average ten people were crammed into a room to meet the quotas, and there was no air conditioning or heating. Bet the Party patted itself on the back a lot for “solving homelessness.”

Thankfully, they didn’t have to go up this time. Jaroslav, a forty-something man with a bushy beard like that of Karl Marx, waited in the lobby, next to a statue of—yep—Marx. He didn’t look like much, but he used to work for the secret police. When the invasion began, he defected and hid with his uncle, who had connections with the Party. This uncle had also been killed in a Soviet airstrike last week. Without his uncle’s protection he was a target, and he had to be extracted to the Roman embassy.

“Hey there, Boris!” he roared, fiercely embracing Boris. “Nice to see you again, man!”

He more gently shook Tatiana’s hand. “You’ve taken care of Boris, I see,” he added.

“Not as well as I hoped,” said Tatiana, “Almost wasted himself yesterday watching Frankfurt crush Haifa in the semifinals.”

“Let’s save the small-talk, guys,” said Boris, “We’ll have plenty of time later, after you’re safe in the Reich.”

“How could I forget the Reich?” said Jaroslav. “All the beer you could buy! And I wonder why you Russians are the alcoholics?”

“Not all Russians,” Tatiana reminded him.

Before Jaroslav could continue, Boris pushed him into the backseat, and Tatiana drove off as fast as the Trabant could go without its engine exploding, which wasn’t that fast.

“How’s Vaclav these days?” asked Jaroslav. “Pressburg still on his mind?”

“He’s fine,” said Tatiana, “Busy as usual decrypting and recording KGB transmissions. A lot of activity recently. Mostly regarding Vlk. Guess Pressburg did beat some sense into him.”

“You still haven’t caught him?” said Jaroslav. “That monster!”

“Yes, we remember Jan,” said Boris, “Let’s not dwell on the details. We’ll avenge him soon.”

“Vlk’s a good mole, I’ll give him that,” said Jaroslav, “That sneaky little rat’s taken down too many of us. By the way, where’s your friend, the brunette? Shouldn’t she be here to do, well, Valkyrie stuff?”

“Anne’s decided to sit this one out,” said Tatiana.

That wasn’t entirely true. Anne was probably at their house right now, dealing with whatever antics Olga and Irina were up to. She claimed she was just tired, and looking at her yesterday Tatiana knew she wasn’t in the mood to join them. Anne said she needed some time off. Even the Valkyrie needed rest every now and then, it seemed.

“Oh, what a shame,” said Jaroslav, “I was looking forward to hearing another of her war stories.”

“Which one she told you last time?” said Boris. “The one with Aliya Hussein? The dinner party one with Ambassador Anniona? The train station one? How her motorcycle ones? It’s always the bloody motorcycle these days. I was surprised she didn’t bring it with her.”

“Nah,” Jaroslav shook his head, “I would’ve asked her about Budapest. I mean, it’s basically the same situation we’re in right now.”

“Right down to Scheel screwing us over,” said Tatiana, “And I heard the man in charge of leading troops into Budapest is leading them here as well. Valentin or something.”

They pulled up in front of the embassy. It looked completely deserted. The lights were off, and the gate was locked.

“That’s strange,” said Tatiana, “The gate should be open.”

It wasn’t. A sign hung on the locked gate, under the Hohenzollern coat of arms:

Due to the unstable situation occurring throughout Bohemia budget cuts at the Bureau of Foreign Affairs intended promote free economic growth (after the CMU stalled the last budget and nearly forced a government shutdown), the Roman embassy will be closed indefinitely effective 25 July 1972 to allow its staff to return home safely. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please take up any complaints by calling this number:

(number for the main office of the Christian Meritocratic Union)

Bozhemoi!” cursed Tatiana. “We were told it was open!”

“Easy, love,” said Boris, “Vaclav would’ve told us if it was closed. Which means that somebody fed us the wrong intel…”

“Uh, guys?” said Jaroslav, pointing across the street. “I think we have company.”

He pointed to two men standing on the other side of the street, watching them. They wore large trench coats, and one had a walkie-talkie in his hands. When they noticed Jaroslav’s pointing, they began crossing the street, heading in their direction.

“It’s a trap,” Tatiana realized, “We’ve been compromised!”

“Vlk!” said Jaroslav, shaking his fist. “That little cyka! I swear, when I get my hands on that rat I will—”

The two men opened their trench-coats, revealing hidden AK-47s. Tatiana shifted the car into reverse and accelerated backwards just as they opened fire, bullets pinging off the embassy wall. A pickup truck swerved onto the street in front of them, a soldier swiveling a 50-caliber machine gun turret towards them. He opened fire, raking the street with thousands of rounds of armor-piercing rounds.

“As if this couldn’t get any worse,” said Boris.

Tatiana yanked to the left, spinning the car a full 180 degrees. While one hand quickly reattached the steering wheel, the other hand worked the gearbox, shifting into forward drive, while her feet slammed on the gas pedal. Bullets pinged off the rear bumper and skipped off the cobblestones around them as she sped away as fast as she could. She didn’t care about the design flaws of the Trabant now. They would have to wait.

Boris reached for his walkie-talkie. “Abort mission!” he screamed. “Repeat, abort mission! We’ve been compromised! It’s an ambush!”

Tatiana grabbed the radio and pushed the antenna down. “Yeah, we kind of figured that out. Best not to telephone Vlk with our location, right?”

She hit the brakes and spun the wheel to the right, turning onto another street. As she reattached the steering wheel yet again, deciding that Vaclav’s amateur review was completely useless, the truck overshot them, hurtling down the main street. It would take time for it to double back.

“Where do we go!” shouted Jaroslav. “The embassy’s closed!”

“The cathedral!” Tatiana replied. “There’s nowhere else to go!”

“It’s on the other side of town!” Boris yelled. “We won’t make it!”

“Do I have to repeat myself?!” Tatiana shot back.

The truck turned back onto their street. Its turret opened fire, smashing every store window on the block. Two cars appeared behind it, soldiers leaning out their windows and firing their AK-47s at them. Tatiana pressed down as hard as she could on the gas, but the Trabant had reached its maximum speed, apparently. Smoke curled up from under the hood, and the normal hum had become a high-pitched shriek, like the scream a kettle gave off as its water boiled. There was no way she could outrun the soldiers in this stupid car. It looked like she had to fight back, then.

She positioned her right hand on the wheel, making sure it didn’t fall off again. Her left hand worked at rolling down the window before reaching for her pistol. With one hand already busy keeping the Trabant from falling apart, she recalled Anne’s advice on how to flip off the safety while in a moving vehicle. Good thing she had loaded it before heading out.

With that done, she leaned out, ignoring the bullets zipping by just inches from her head, and took aim at the truck. Her finger curled around the trigger and tapped once. A split second later, the gun jolted against her hand, a spent bullet casing falling away to the street. One second later, the turret gunner fell off the truck, a bullet hole neatly placed in the middle of his forehead. The truck driver leaned out his window, brandishing an AK-47, and shot back, forcing Tatiana back to the shelter of the driver’s seat. At this point, Anne’s advice told her to blind fire, but she scoffed at such advice. Anne was clearly bragging when it came to blind fire, and all of her “demonstrations” were just her showing off her skills in obviously staged environments. Everybody knew blind fire was impossible. While that was inconvenient, at least Tatiana wouldn’t waste precious ammunition.

Tatiana leaned out the window again, lined up her sights with the truck’s windshield, and pulled the trigger again. Right on cue, the windshield shattered, and the driver, a bullet put in his chest, slumped over, his Kalashnikov clattering on the sidewalk. The now driverless truck ran onto the sidewalk and slammed into an old hawker stall, spilling cabbages on the street which the cars had to swerve. One enemy vehicle was out of the fight.

“You don’t have to do that, love!” Boris yelled, rolling down his window. “I’ll cover you! Just get us out of here!”

He pulled out his gun and started firing at the soldiers. Not having to deal with an uncooperative car that could explode at any moment, he had much more freedom to aim and shoot, and despite not being as good an aimer as Tatiana, he managed to land some shots on the nearest car. One soldier fell out the car after being shot in the shoulder, but the rest struck the window or hood. After rapidly tapping his trigger too many times, the gun started returning clicks. He cursed and turned to Tatiana.

“I’m out!” he said. “Got spares?”

“Looks like you didn’t cover me,” Tatiana remarked, “Check the glove compartment.”

“They’re still gaining on us, you know!” screamed Jaroslav, cowering in his seat.

While Boris ruffled through the glove compartment, Tatiana leaned out her window and fired once at the nearest car, putting a bullet in its driver’s head. Driverless, the car swerved wildly to the side and smashed into a lamppost, its passengers desperately trying to free themselves. Tatiana may have been driving a Trabant, but her pursuers also drove Trabants, and they were much older than hers, meaning they were far more error-prone. A few seconds later, the car suddenly exploded in a large fireball, forcing the second car to swerve onto a cross street and vanish from sight.

When she was sure she had lost them, she relaxed a little, placing both hands on the wheel.

“You always were the better shooter,” Boris admitted.

“Okay, how did they know we were there?” demanded Tatiana. “We hardly told anyone.”

“Vlk, obviously,” said Boris, “He knew who we were, so he lured us to the embassy.”

“Oh God,” said Jaroslav, now hyperventilating, “It’s like Jan all over again, isn’t it?”

“Relax, Jaroslav,” said Tatiana, “We lost them. We’ll get you to the cathedral. It’s not like with Jan when—”

At that moment, the enemy car came out of nowhere and slammed into their side. Tatiana’s car quickly buckled and crumpled under the assault, doors caving inwards and windows bending and shattering into a thousand pieces. The weak metal twisted and groaned under the stress before ultimately snapping like twigs. The suspension gave way next, the wheels leaping away from the chassis to freedom. The steering wheel simply disappeared; it probably fled out the nonexistent window at the first chance.

They came to a rest a few seconds later. Tatiana gathered her senses and looked around her, assessing the damage before concluding that the car was basically toast. Smoke curled up from under the hood. Not the steam kind, but black smoke. Something was on fire. Given the nature of Trabants, she would say she had a few seconds before it exploded.

She looked around her, checking on Boris and Jaroslav. The former seemed to be unconscious, lucky to just have a few scratches and bruises. But judging from the angle of Jaroslav’s neck, he was dead. They had failed.

“Yebat,” she cursed.

There was hardly time to reflect on her failure, because presently the soldiers in the enemy car were approaching them, AK-47s raised. Tatiana tried releasing her seatbelt, but it was jammed. Her foot was stuck between the warped pedals, and her shirt had snagged on a metal shard. She desperately tried everything, but she couldn’t get free. Realizing she wouldn’t get out in time, she raised her pistol and shot through the nonexistent windows and windshield at the enemy, each shot taking down another soldier. Finally, she got her seatbelt disengaged, followed by extricating her foot and then unsnagging her shirt. But now the door was stuck. The handle wouldn’t turn, and the frame had warped in such a way that the door couldn’t open. Realizing that Vaclav always left something useful in the glove compartment, she dug through it, hoping to find something she could use to hold off the soldiers. After a second, she found a grenade belt. Vaclav really outdid himself this time. First he found one of the most recent Trabants, and he had included a few grenades with it.

Tatiana grabbed one of the grenades, pulled out the pin with her teeth, and tossed it through the windshield at the enemy. The grenade bounced and rolled across the cobblestones, coming to a stop amid the soldiers. Realizing what it was, they frantically shouted to each other and scattered in all directions before it detonated, taking out the unfortunate nearest few.

With a little extra time bought, Tatiana pulled both of her feet to her chest and kicked the door as hard as she could. Fortunately, the door gave way almost immediately, and she stumbled out onto the cobblestones, one hand around the grenade belt. Noticing movement behind her, she instinctively rolled and fired at the soldier taking cover behind her car, hitting him in the head. Getting to her feet, she ran around to the other side, shooting anybody aiming at her, and pulled Boris through the window just as the engine’s wail turned into a high-pitched shriek. Carrying him on her back, she staggered away from the crash just as the Trabant exploded, creating a chain reaction that caused the enemy Trabant to explode as well, taking out everybody around it. The surviving soldiers fled to the safety of the nearby buildings.

Boris stirred and clutched his head. “Ow…” he murmured. “Anna? Is that you?”

Tatiana slapped him. “Do I have to remind you how much I hate that nickname? Or is my name Anne Frank?”

Boris rubbed his cheek. “Yeah, it’s a bit unfortunate you’re both called Anna.”

“Only Nina does,” replied Tatiana, “We all call her Anne.”

“Nina only calls her Anna because she doesn’t know about the Valkyrie,” said Boris, “She’s the only one in our circle who isn’t aware.”

“Yeah, let’s worry about that later,” said Tatiana, reloading her pistol and picking up an AK-47.

“Where’s Jaroslav?” asked Boris.

“Dead,” said Tatiana.

“Another day, another Jan,” Boris simply responded.

She heard more soldiers shout orders in Russian and Czech, their steel-rimmed boots clacking against the cobblestones and concrete. Her eyes darted around, searching for a place to hide, eventually settling on a small apartment building a couple blocks away. She started running towards the building, one hand keeping him steady and the other on her weapons. They reached the building and slipped inside. It was conveniently abandoned, so she wouldn’t have to worry about civilian casualties if the enemy came knocking. Deciding an elevator would take too long, she took the stairs, carrying Boris up five flights to the top. She kicked down an apartment door, dropped Boris on the couch, and put the grenade belt in his hands.

“If anybody other than me walks through the door, throw one at them,” she told him.

“What’re you doing, love?” Boris groaned.

Tatiana reloaded the rifle with renewed vigor, wiping sweat and blood off her face. “As Anne would say, I’m doing my job. Like I always do.”

She stepped into the hallway and shut the door behind her. Approaching the stairwell, footsteps and Russian orders echoed up from the lower floors. Behind her, the elevator dinged, and before the soldier inside could shoot, she shot him in the chest. She then raked the control panel with another hail of bullets, and the sparks flying told her the elevator was. The shouts grew vocal, and the frequency of their footsteps increased as they hurried upstairs towards her.

Entering the stairwell, Tatiana descended towards her enemies. When the first soldiers rounded the corner and appeared below her, she took a deep breath.

“Hello, boys,” she said, “Looking for me?”

Tatiana opened fire, giving them no time to shoot back. The lucky soldiers scurried downstairs, issuing panicked orders to their comrades. Tatiana stormed after them, her finger tightened around the trigger. The rifle kicked back so often that she soon tuned it out, not caring about the recoil against her shoulder. More soldiers fell down the stairs, screaming as bullets tore through their bodies. Others shot back, the roars of their weapons echoing up and down the stairwell and their shots ricocheting off the walls. Tatiana retreated upstairs to safety, where she checked her remaining ammunition. She only had enough for a few more seconds of continuous fire.

She leaped over the railing and dropping down to the next flight, right on top of a squad of soldiers coming up. Not expecting her to attack from that angle, their guns were aimed at the wrong place. She expended the last of her ammunition at the surprised soldiers in front of her and slammed the butt of the rifle into a soldier next to her. One hand quickly dropped the rifle and reached for her pistol, while the other lashed out, striking another soldier in the head. She pulled out her pistol and shot another soldier before he could raise his knife. A soldier drew his own pistol, but before he could fire, Tatiana grabbed his arm and pushed it towards his comrade, shooting him in the head instead, while her gun arm shot him in the stomach. As he went down, Tatiana grabbed his pistol and shot the two soldiers attacking her from the left and right.

More soldiers charged up the stairs, shouting orders as quickly as they fired. However, their adrenaline had clouded their aim, and Tatiana exploited that. She dived for the floor, rolling towards the soldiers before transitioning into a spinning kick, one foot hooking from the left into one soldier’s leg. She used her momentum to pull herself to her feet, her arms lashing out. One fist slammed into the cheek of a nearby soldier, while the other hand pistol-whipped the soldier to her right. Slowing down, she took aim and fired twice, hitting two more soldiers. By then, she knew that she was out of ammunition.

More rapid-fire footsteps echoed up the stairs, accompanied by more shouts. She knew that more soldiers were on their way, and although she was out of bullets, she wasn’t out of the fight. When she was sure they were just around the corner, Tatiana ran at the wall and kicked off it, her feet planting themselves four feet off the floor and pushing off, hurling her through the air into the approaching soldiers. Drawing a knife, she slashed once, cutting deep into a soldier’s throat, and grabbed the head of another to reorient herself, snapping his neck. Her feet slammed into another soldier’s chest, forcefully slamming him back against the wall. Still in movement, she curled up and put herself into a roll as she hit the ground, sticking out her knife to slash another soldier in his lower leg, forcing him to his knees. Turning around, she embedded her knife into his chest.

There were now four soldiers left, armed with knives, and they circled her like hungry vultures circling carrion. Her eyes darted between each man, observing their behavior and preparing a strategy to counter their attacks. She clenched her fists and firmly planted her feet, waiting for them to come to her on her own terms.

The soldiers charged at her simultaneously, which was what Tatiana expected. She crossed her arms grabbed the arms of the soldiers to her left and right and dodged the lunges from the other two men. She uncrossed her arms by pulling the two immobilized soldiers towards each other, directing their knives into each other’s chests. Pushing away their bodies, she punched the soldier in front of her with her left arm and elbowed the one behind her with her other arm, following that up with a roundhouse kick to the latter that snapped his neck and another kick that landed squarely on the fourth soldier’s chest. The last soldier stumbled back but stayed upright, getting into a fighting stance. Tatiana planted her feet again and motioned for him to attack first, again on her terms.

The soldier charged at her again, fists flying. He threw a punch at her head, which she dodged, along with the following knife jab from his other arm. As his punch pulled him past her, she turned and socked him in the jaw. He staggered back, wiping away blood from his nose, and lunged again, this time lashing out with his feet. Tatiana simply sidestepped his kick, grabbed his leg, and twisted. The soldier screamed in agony and stumbled back, but he didn’t go down. He was much tougher than he looked. He charged at Tatiana yet again, and this time Tatiana grabbed his arm and twisted it around, hearing his bones snap. The soldier responded by hitting her with his free arm, landing a punch on her cheek which would probably leave a bruise. She would have a hard time explaining that one to Olga and Irina. For that, Tatiana jabbed at his midsection with her knee and stabbed her thumb in his eye, and although he struggled in agony, clutching at his head with his free arm, he refused to yield. She twisted his arm harder, forcing him to drop his knife. However, he pulled out another knife with his free hand. With both of her hands occupied, she couldn’t counter the coming lunge.

At that moment, a shot rang out, and he went limp, a bullet hole in his back. Tatiana let go of him just as Boris appeared at the top of the stairs, struggling to remain on his feet.

“Thought you needed some help, love,” he said.

“I was doing just fine, Boris,” said Tatiana, wiping away more blood.

“Oh, so just like old days then?” Boris replied, sarcastically. “What is this, the academy?”

“Says the guy who hit nothing in target practice,” Tatiana said, “And still graduated…somehow. At the bottom of the class, I should add.”

“You still married me,” Boris countered.

Tatiana didn’t know how to respond to that. For that matter, Boris was equally stumped on how to follow up his quip.

“So…we still good for the cathedral?” Boris finally asked, after five minutes of awkwardness.

“We should just go home,” said Tatiana, “Jaroslav’s dead anyways.”

“Yeah, let’s go home,” said Boris.

They staggered down the stairs and out of the building. After making sure nobody was following them again, they headed home, throwing their weapons in a nearby river and putting on the dead soldiers’ jackets and vests to disguise themselves. Tatiana’s bruise still stuck out. She’d have a hard time explaining that.

“So,” said Boris, “We’re walking home?”

“What did you expect, a bus?” said Tatiana.

“Nah, just checking,” said Boris.

“Course you are,” replied Tatiana.

“No, really!” Boris protested.

They continued walking in silence for a few minutes.

“About Nina…” said Boris. “You’ll tell her?”

“Anne probably will,” said Tatiana, “When the time’s right.”

“It’s pretty awkward, you know,” said Boris, “She’s the only one who doesn’t know. Would make for an interesting conversation.”

“Tell me about it later.” Tatiana rolled her eyes.

They walked a few more blocks.

“Anne would be pleased you took her advice, by the way,” said Boris, “Looks like that training paid off back there.”

“And I still have no reason to blind-fire,” replied Tatiana, “It’s impossible to shoot around a corner without looking.”

“Well, she did it,” said Boris, “She even made an art out of it. Could’ve saved us time back in that car chase.”

“She should keep that ‘art’ to herself,” said Tatiana, “And if she really wants to teach it, maybe start with her own daughter? If Diana wants to follow her into the service, that is.”

“When was the last time we saw Diana?” asked Boris. “Four years ago?”

“I think it was her fifth birthday party,” said Tatiana, “The one where you and Alek attempted to do a polka. Half drunk. And I have no idea where you found the beer.”

“I totally remember that!” said Boris. “The look on your face was priceless. Nina’s reaction was just perfect.”

“Too bad the kids were all scared off by it, and Peter disapproved,” said Tatiana, “Or else we’d have been invited to more parties. Olga’s asking why we haven’t seen Diana recently.”

Boris smiled. “Hey, they’re still kids. There’re more birthdays coming up. More time for friendships to continue.”

“Hopefully,” Tatiana added, “If we get Olga and Irina out of this blasted place.”

“Hey, we’ll get out of here,” said Boris, “It’s just like Pressburg. We’ll be fine.”

“I don’t remember our cover being blown in Pressburg,” said Tatiana.

“And I don’t think we’ve thrown Vaclav into the Danube yet,” added Boris.

They laughed and continued walking for another half an hour. Tatiana and Boris drank water from a nearby fountain, which conveniently still worked despite every building on the block having been destroyed. After that, they walked through the more crowded areas of the Old City, blending in with their surroundings and hopefully throwing off anybody tailing them. After another hour, they entered their neighborhood, Tatiana’s feet aching. The sun was getting low.

“How did this happen?” asked Boris. “We’re smarter than this.”

“You mean Vlk?” said Tatiana. “We can’t blame ourselves. He’s a traitor.”

“We can’t blame ourselves?” said Boris.

“He betrayed us,” said Tatiana, “He killed Gustaf, Jan, and now Jaroslav, not to mention so many others. We’re used to the enemy being the enemy. We’re not used to the enemy being one of us. He’s responsible for all this. We were just doing our jobs.”

“Tell that to the Angeloi,” said Boris.

“Vlk’s a smart guy,” said Tatiana, “Like Jaroslav, Rod rest his spirit, I’ll give him that. He’s obviously highly trained, but he’s also clever and can think out of the box when it suits him. And he obviously has high clearance.”

“That’s how he avoids detection and accesses our records,” said Boris.

“Exactly,” said Tatiana, “But like any double agent, he needs to check in with his handlers every now and then, to deliver information and receive orders. He’d have to use a phone or radio to arrange a meeting or tell them about us.”

“But Vaclav’s already monitoring his messages,” said Boris.

“We need to follow the instructions, not just avoid wherever he’s sent to,” said Tatiana, “Vlk will have to schedule a meeting soon, maybe tomorrow, to tell his handlers Jaroslav’s dead and we survived.”

“We follow him to the meeting and ambush him there,” Boris concluded.

“And then we can rid ourselves of Vlk for good,” said Tatiana.

“And finally leave this place,” said Boris.

“Why didn’t we do this sooner?” said Tatiana.

“Maybe we were too focused on containing his damage,” Boris reasoned.

They reached their house. Making sure that nobody was watching them, Tatiana crept through a neighbor’s backyard and climbed into her backyard from there, Boris close behind.

“Didn’t we install countermeasures on the front door?” asked Boris.

“They won’t help us if the snipers get us first,” said Tatiana.

“True,” admitted Boris, “But where’d the snipers come from?”

“Anywhere,” said Tatiana, “Maybe halfway across town. Isn’t that the point of snipers?”

“But we’d know if any of them entered the neighborhood,” said Boris, “That’s why we chose this place, right?”

“No, we chose this place because it can’t be bugged,” said Tatiana, “Nobody can hear us.”

At that moment, Anne swung open the patio door. “You know, I can hear you lovebirds bickering as loud as a bloody Stuka from in here,” she said, “I swear, the longer you guys keep squabbling the more chances the snipers will get, and I don’t care if they’re halfway across town. Oh, and by the way, Olga’s causing trouble again. You’ll have to see it to believe it.”

On cue, Olga started wailing at the top of her lungs.

“Good thing I installed those soundproof windows last week,” chuckled Tatiana, playfully pushing Boris inside.

Typical Scheel.

Цыка? Or did you mean 'suka' but missed due to the Cyrillic letters resembling Latin too closely?
Yes, I meant "suka" but I've always seen it spelled cyka, so that's how I assumed it was spelled. I'll probably fix it in later updates. In-universe, Jaroslav's not a good Russian speaker.:p

We may know how this ends, but it's good seeing how well Olga's parents tried at least.

It seems like everyone's fighting skills can be summed up as either absolutely perfect or completely inept. There is no in-between. That's the only way I can accept someone killing dozens of men and coming out of it with only a bruise. Either that or the Soviets need a new training program. :p

We may know how this ends, but it's good seeing how well Olga's parents tried at least.
*how screwed their enemies were:p
It seems like everyone's fighting skills can be summed up as either absolutely perfect or completely inept. There is no in-between. That's the only way I can accept someone killing dozens of men and coming out of it with only a bruise. Either that or the Soviets need a new training program. :p
No, you're not seeing it the right way. First, you're only looking at a set of two individuals, Anne and Tatiana, one of whom was trained by the other, who was trained by someone who may or may not have literally been Batman. Second, all of the main male characters beg to differ about "no in-between." Actually, it's mostly Boris. You saw how well he did in the car chase. Plus he was knocked out by the crash. And third, the original draft of this update did not have the bruise, but I added it in because Tatiana's shaping up to be another Mary Sue despite not even being a main protagonist (outside of this flashback). And fourth, those soldiers were all nameless henchmen anyways. Their only purpose is to be beaten up to show how awesome the protagonist is. If there's anything the Soviets specialize in, it's throwing waves of cannon fodder at their enemies. And yes, they do need a new training program. Otherwise that would mess up the 1980s updates.:D

The End of History, Part 43

Prague – July 26, 1972, afternoon

crackle

Reporter: “…UN Island… Council has concluded…consequential and dividing… organization.”

UN spokesman: “…Ambassador of the Eurasian Revolutionary Vanguard Workers’ Russian Social Federative Union of People’s Autonomous Internationalist Democratic Communes of Soviet Socialist Republics, etc..…daily agenda… five in favor, two against, and one abstention.”

Reporter: “…contentious…public…contrast… Scheel…only member…India and China…the Warsaw Pact…”

Scheel: “…must be pacified…too many lives…terrorists must be…internal affair we…economy…Romans…restoration…peace…military action…Carpathia…”

Reporter: “…previous policies…grant…pro-Dubcek…Soviet… rebel…UN support…like Carpathia…also responsible…tax reform…Christian Meritocrats for refusing to…vow to…Vaclav Husak is live with our…”

Vaclav: “Constantinople’s decision, as we expected, is outrageous, I tell you. Just completely outrageous and in line with Shady Scheel’s prior record. How are lower taxes more important than our lives, not to mention our freedom?! Hey, Scheel, we’re Romans too, in case you forgot! Shady Scheel’s as dangerous as the Soviets, I say. He screwed all of us over in Budapest in 1956 and wants to get away with it again in Prague. But we’re not the Carpathians, and we won’t repeat their mistakes. We’re Bohemians, and we’re Romans too, remember, and we’ll gladly give our lives to defend our freedom! But we don’t trust whatever’s coming out of Constantinople. I don’t think anybody in the Occupied Territories does. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice,” BLEEP IN CZECH “you! If reunification somehow proceeds after this, and it’s a big if now, I have to say this, I would not want to live in the Reich if it’s like this. It’s like they’re led by kids. Please get your house in order, Your Majesty, or you just lost an otherwise loyal and freedom-loving citizen.”

crackle

“In my defense, that reporter asked me loaded questions!” Vaclav protested. “And I was drunk that afternoon!”

“You were drinking,” repeated Anne, “When Jaroslav died? When my friend and her husband almost died with him?”

“Don’t bother, Anne,” said Tatiana, rolling her eyes, “Vaclav always drinks. Come on, you know that. That’s his excuse for everything. Even Pressburg.”

“Does everybody drink here?” said Anne. “First Jan, then Jaroslav, and now you. I’m starting to think they got the stereotypes wrong.”

“Hey!” Boris shouted.

“Regardless, Vaclav, you screwed up,” said Tatiana, “I mean, at least you could be discrete when you’re doing tech support. You used a profanity against the chancellor and condemned the Kaiser himself…on live national television. In front of hundreds of millions of Roman citizens. And their kids.”

“Hey, I was very drunk,” said Vaclav, “You know how boring it is to listen to the radio all day and not be on it? You guys get all the fun, going around fighting people with cool gadgets, many of which I designed, remember, and I’m just the guy in the chair! It’s nothing like the movies!”

“He’s still drunk.” Anne rolled her eyes. “When was the last time he designed our guns?”

“Never?” replied Boris.

“Well, there’s no way they’re coming to our aid, after what you said,” said Tatiana, “You probably pissed off at least half the Reich. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must keep driving.”

She changed the channel to one with jazz music.

“What, what about the latest hits?” asked Anne.

“If by latest hits you mean the Kaferen, they’re gone,” said Tatiana, “I thought you knew that.”

“Furen Zeppelin, I mean,” replied Anne.

Tatiana raised her eyebrows. “Viking death metal? Thought you hated Immigrant Song.”

“I’m an open person,” said Anne, “You know that.”

They pulled up in front of a warehouse, and Boris and Vaclav got out.

“You sure about this?” asked Tatiana. “You sure you don’t need me and…”

“I’m sure,” said Boris, “Vaclav says they’ll be expecting someone with technical knowledge. And besides, he insisted. Something about owing him for Pressburg.”

“For the record, Pressburg was entirely his fault,” said Anne, “We didn’t have to go after him.”

“I’m still here, you know,” said Vaclav rather loudly.

“Quiet!” hissed Tatiana. “Or they’ll hear you!”

“If they did, we’d be dead already,” said Vaclav, pointing to the open windows, “The message said this place was protected by snipers.”

“It’s always snipers,” Boris complained, “Why does it always have to be snipers?”

“Terrible snipers at that,” Tatiana said, “We’re literally standing right here.”

“Just go!” said Anne. “We’ll be fine.”

“Come on, you’re the Valkyrie,” said Boris, “Of course you’ll be fine.”

“I don’t think the KGB can even touch you,” Vaclav added, "I mean, you're the Valkyrie."

Anne responded by rolling up her window and locking the door. The conversation over, Boris and Vaclav quietly walked away towards the warehouse entrance.

“Sometimes, I wonder why you married him,” said Anne, “Even though he graduated at the bottom of your class.”

“Same reason you and Peter are a thing,” said Tatiana, “Despite your sister’s antics. Heard she punched one of the Drumpfs in the face last month…and won the lawsuit, somehow.”

“I haven’t met your sister yet, have I?” said Anne, probably not wanting to talk about Rita.

“Natalia lives outside Stockholm,” said Tatiana, “Nice little house surrounded by fields. You really should visit sometime, when this is all over.”

“Maybe I will,” said Anne.

They sat quietly for a minute.

“Why do we do this, Anne?” asked Tatiana. “Risking our lives to come out here, for what?”

“We defend freedom,” said Anne.

“Officially,” said Tatiana, “But why do we personally do this?”

“To protect our friends and families,” said Anne, “To make sure they never live under an oppressive dictatorship. To give our kids safe and happy lives.”

“I doubt that, sometimes,” said Tatiana, “What with how politicized our agencies have become.”

“Scheel’s messed with the Athanatoi, but we’re still true to our beliefs,” said Anne, “And I’m sure the Tsaritsa makes sure you guys do your jobs.”

They sat quietly for another minute.

“Anne, I have to admit something,” Tatiana blurted out.

“Go ahead,” said Anne, “You can confide in your friend.”

“I’m scared,” said Tatiana, “After what happened to Gustaf and Jan and Jaroslav. That Vlk’s still out there. And he’s exposed me and Boris.”

“Don’t worry,” said Anne, “We got Vlk. Boris is probably giving him the thrashing he deserves right now, and Vaclav’s doing whatever he does.”

“But he probably told his handlers about us,” said Tatiana, “If he knows who we are, can you imagine what he also knows? Our addresses. Our friends. Our defenses. Our kids. My kids are now targets. The Novaks are all targets. Even if we take him down, they know about us. They’ll come after us eventually.”

“We’ll deal with it,” said Anne, “Like we always do.”

“I’m smarter than this, you know,” said Tatiana, “If we were somewhere else and alone, I’d have found Vlk and neutralized him a week ago, before anybody died. But here I feel like we’re all being weighed down by each other, you know what I mean?”

“You mean our commitments,” said Anne.

“You’re lucky, Anne,” said Tatiana, “You didn’t have to care for a family of four here, like me and Nina and Alek. All you had to do was show up and do your job. We have to worry about the innocent lives tied to us.”

“I worry all the time, Tatiana,” said Anne, “It keeps me going, actually. Knowing that my kids depend on me to get home and be there for them. That I’m stuck here, that I’m growing increasingly absent from their lives.”

“The alternative is to bring them here with you,” said Tatiana, “And trust me, that is worse. And don’t worry, Anne. We’re going home soon. After Vlk’s neutralized, we’ve got no reason to stay here longer.”

“Where do you want to go, after all this?” asked Anne.

“Maybe home,” said Tatiana, “Though there isn’t much for me there. Natalia could take us in. But you know where I really want to go? The Reich.”

“The Reich,” said Anne.

“Unless Scheel screwed that up as well, I still have Roman citizenship through my mom, last I checked,” said Tatiana, “I could live in the Reich. Maybe buy a house next to you guys.”

“I’m sure Olga and Irina would like to play with Diana again,” said Anne.

“Can you imagine two, no, three spies showing up for the PTA meetings?” said Tatiana.

“Sounds like a setup for a joke,” said Anne, “‘Three spies walk into a meeting…’”

“Poor Peter,” said Tatiana, “Not sure how he’ll handle all of us.”

Anne laughed. “It’s hard enough with the Valkyrie already. I have to convince Diana’s teachers not to immediately give her perfect grades every year!”

“Guess when you’re the Valkyrie, they don’t want to get on your bad side,” said Tatiana.

“As if I wanted to hurt them,” said Anne, “It’s a little frustrating sometimes, letting your reputation run away like that.”

“You know, Anne?” asked Tatiana. “That’s my dream.”

“To be feared by your kids’ teachers so much that they can’t get a fair education?” Anne said.

“No, to worry about that instead of…well, this,” said Tatiana, gesturing to their surroundings, “To get away from all this. Not just leave Prague, but leave this life behind. Be with my friends and family. Let Olga and Irina live a normal life, where I can worry about teachers and not spies going after them.”

“You sure are optimistic,” said Anne.

“Learned it from you, Anne,” said Tatiana, “I mean, it was your optimism that won the war.”

“You could say it that way,” said Anne, “But for me, I was just a girl from Frankfurt, doing what had to be done. I was just—”

“Doing my job,” finished Tatiana, “You’ve told us all before.”

“‘Whoever is happy will make others happy too’,” Anne quoted.

“I remember that, from your diary,” said Tatiana, “It makes me feel that even though everything around us is going to hell, something good can still come out of it all.”

They sat for another minute, waiting for the other to say something.

“Can I admit something to you, as your friend?” asked Anne.

“Go ahead,” said Tatiana, “You can confide in me.”

“I also want to get away from this life,” said Anne, “It’s different from when I was a kid. Then, I wanted to be a writer. The Angeloi took that life from me, I’ve probably reminded you again and again. I can’t go back to that, I know. I accepted being the Valkyrie. But I’m growing tired of this life. At least back then I knew the Angeloi were my enemy. Now it’s a shadowy idea, promoted by people living in another country. I don’t dispute that equalism is bad, but this isn’t the 1940s anymore. Who are the people we fight? Are they all evil equalists bent on enslaving us to some horrible economic system, or are they just trying to make a living?”

“Anne, it’s the same in every war,” said Tatiana, “There are true believers, and there are those who just signed for the money. Now, that also makes them accessories to murder, remember, but they can still be brought to justice. The Valkyrie can still bring them to justice.”

Anne took a deep breath. “I should point out the obvious thing, that times have changed. The world doesn’t need the Valkyrie anymore, I’ve realized.”

“No, Anne, we still need you,” said Tatiana, “That’s why you’re here.”

“You don’t understand, do you?” replied Anne. “The world doesn’t need people like me. The world doesn’t need heroes standing up to tanks, leading a resistance, fighting at the front. The lines aren’t as clearly defined as they once were. We can’t fight our enemies in plain sight. The world needs people willing to work in the shadows, do what must be done. The world needs people who do their jobs and follow orders. It needs people like you, Tatiana.”

“Why are we here then, Anne, both of us?” said Tatiana. “You’re not obsolete. You’re a hero.”

“To some,” said Anne, “There are plenty who say I’m a killer, a murderer. For every Aliya Hussein there is a widow or orphan of an Angeloi I killed. I’ve done plenty of terrible things during the war, Tatiana. I’ve gotten many of my friends killed. I let down more of them. I couldn’t save everybody. I’ll remember that until the day I die. I don’t want to lose you too.”

“Anne, I can handle myself,” said Tatiana, “I’m not Clara or any of those other kids whose deaths you blame yourself for. I’m Tatiana Kirova, Agent of the Tsardom, Her Russian Majesty’s Most Loyal Defender.”

Anne sighed. “I’m growing tired, Tatiana, just tired of everything we do these days. All this needless destruction, the needless killing…the needless deaths. I was in Indochina and the Amazon when the Emergencies happened. I was in Budapest when it burned. I was in Cuba when its missiles could’ve killed us all five times over. I was in Siam when villages were firebombed by the ‘good’ side. And today I’m in Prague. I’m the angel of death, Tatiana. Death follows me wherever I go. I suppose that’s one consequence of being the Valkyrie. Valkyries carried those killed in battle up to Valhalla. But that’s mythology. I just get people killed in real life. That’s why I don’t have many friends, you know. Most of my friends ended up dead in the end, like Clara. This is a lonely life, and it only ends one way, bloody.”

“Anne, please,” Tatiana pleaded, “Stop beating yourself up. I’m fine. You said it yourself when we met in Berlin all those years ago, when the Wall went up. You said I was your equal, that I was different from your other colleagues. I think I can handle myself just fine. And remember, we’re friends, Anne. Friends look out for each other. I don’t care how your other friends died. I’m here, and I’m not them.”

“This is different, Tatiana,” replied Anne, “It’s not just me and my friends now. Thirty years ago, it was just me and Rita. Now I have a family to look after. My kids look up to me. What do they see, the Valkyrie or Mom? Their protector or killer? Why can’t I be there for Diana and Tobias like you’re there for Olga and Irina and Nina’s there for Pavel and Theresa? Why do I always have to worry about them because of my work? Why do I always fear my work will get them killed one day, or worse? Why can’t I be a good parent to them, so they don’t have to go through what I did with my parents? Why can’t I give them the life I never had, the life the Angeloi took from me?”

“Anne, it’s okay,” consoled Tatiana, warmly embracing her, “I’m always here for you. We’re here for you. We’ll leave this place soon, and we can all go home. Maybe start over again. Give our kids the life and love they deserve. We can stop the death. Give the Valkyrie a rest. We won’t have to worry anymore. We’ll be there when they need us, right?”

“I suppose so,” said Anne, cracking a smile, “Guess we’ll figure it out, right?”

Tatiana smiled back at her. “Like we always—”

Suddenly, gunshots rang out. At first, it was just a few pistol shots. Then Tatiana started hearing automatic weapons fire, echoing through the warehouse.

“Yebat!” she cursed. “They’re in trouble.”

“Way ahead of you,” said Anne, already halfway to the door. She raised her pistol and blindly fired twice into the windows, and two snipers toppled out, dully thudding the ground.

Tatiana grabbed her gun and followed her. Anne kicked open the door and stormed inside, immediately shooting the two soldiers waiting on the other side. More opened fire with automatic weapons from behind a stack of crates. Tatiana returned fire, forcing them to retreat. Anne charged around the corner and vanished. Tatiana heard men screaming, Anne shouting, blows landing, and shots ringing for a solid five seconds before the sounds abruptly stopped. Anne reappeared, her fists bloody. She reloaded her gun.

“All clear,” she said.

“Impressive,” said Tatiana, “I bet that’s a new record.”

“Not really,” replied Anne, “Could’ve done it in half the time. As could you.”

“You’re the Valkyrie,” said Tatiana, “I can’t compare to the Valkyrie.”

“If not the Valkyrie maybe your friend, then,” said Anne.

Just as she said that, Tatiana heard feet scuffling behind her, and she spun around in time to see seven soldiers charging at her, wielding knives and pistols. She shot the first three before they drew too close. Dodging their initial punches, she pistol-whipped one in the side, forcing him to his knees, elbowed the back of the second soldier’s left knee, knocking him off-balance, and delivered a low kick to the third soldier’s leg, slamming his head against the concrete floor. The fourth man threw a punch at her, which she stopped with her left hand. She then twisted the soldier’s arm, immobilizing him, while she pistol-whipped him in the face with her free arm and then shot him in the stomach. As she drew back her arm, she pointed it at the soldier lunging behind her and fired, hitting him squarely in the chest. The two remaining soldiers got to their feet and drew their knives again. Tatiana dropped her empty gun and waited for them to attack. The man in front of her lunged first, his arm striking out like a cobra. She dodged the lunge, grabbed his arm, and redirected it into the chest of the soldier attacking her from the opposite direction. The second soldier tried stabbing her in the back, but she stepped aside and redirected his knife into the first soldier’s chest. The two of them fell away and lay still at her feet.

Through all this, Anne stood there, quietly watching her.

“Impressive,” she remarked, “Though of course you could’ve finished in half the time. You really should stop holding yourself back. I won’t take offense to it, you know.”

“You should’ve seen me yesterday,” said Tatiana.

“You saw what Olga did yesterday,” replied Anne, “And how I fixed it.”

“Mostly,” said Tatiana, “You had to get help from me.”

“It could’ve been worse, you know,” said Anne.

“You sound like my sister,” said Tatiana.

“You sound like my sister,” Anne countered.

“And I still see no use for firing blind,” Tatiana replied.

Anne pointed behind her and fired once. The soldier sneaking up behind her collapsed, a bullet in his head.

“Anybody could’ve made that shot,” said Tatiana, “Given enough preparation.”

“The point of firing blind is to do it without preparation,” said Anne, “How many times do I have to drill that into your head?”

“Hey, where’re Boris and Vaclav?” said Tatiana, dodging the subject.

Right on cue, Boris and Vaclav burst through a hallway, firing wildly behind them. Enemy soldiers chased after them, shooting back with their AK-47s.

“Abort mission!” shouted Boris, waving his free hand like a madman. “Repeat, abort mission! We’ve been compromised! It’s an ambush!”

“Yeah, we kind of figured that out,” said Anne, rolling her eyes again before resuming shooting.

“What about Vlk?” asked Tatiana.

“He didn’t show!” shouted Vaclav. “He knew! He knew about—”

At that moment, a bullet struck Vaclav in the stomach. He doubled over in agony.

“I’m hit! I’m hit!” he cried.

Anne and Tatiana shot back at the soldiers, giving Boris enough cover to carry Vaclav over to their position.

“It looks bad,” said Boris, inspecting the wound, “We got to get him to a hospital fast, or he’ll bleed out.”

“Lay him on his back,” said Tatiana, “That way we’ll have more time.”

“More time like this?!” shouted Vaclav. “Do you have any idea how painful this is?!”

“Maybe you should’ve thought of that before you went to Pressburg,” said Boris, “Yes, I do know how painful it is. I also know that you’ll die if we don’t get you to a hospital soon.”

“By the way, they bombed the hospital,” said Anne, “And the only other one in the area is under Soviet control.”

Vaclav cursed in Czech. “Seriously?!” he shouted. “Why are the Soviets so evil? Is this a Hitler movie or what? And can’t you guys do something?”

“Not really, with all these soldiers shooting at us.” Tatiana picked up an assault rifle and randomly fired at the soldiers, forcing them to take shelter for a few seconds. Surprisingly, she hit half of them.

“That’s blind firing, you know,” said Anne.

“Now’s not the time!” Tatiana replied.

“I’m going to die, am I?” asked Vaclav.

“Don’t be silly,” said Boris, “We’ll get you out of here.”

“You said it yourself,” said Vaclav, “There’s nowhere to go. I’ll die before you reach a functioning hospital.”

“What do you want to do, just die then?” replied Anne.

Vaclav gritted his teeth. “Well, if I’m going to die here and now, at least let me go down fighting equalist scum,” he said, “I’ll take them down with me.”

“We need you, Vaclav,” said Tatiana, “To continue the fight.”

“I’m just your guy in the chair,” said Vaclav, “Giving you your intel, which has been compromised anyways. This city’s lost. This mission’s lost. There’s no use giving tech support to a rebellion that doesn’t exist. But at least I’ll go down like a true rebel. Let me give you one last favor, for Pressburg. Hold them off long enough to get out of here.”

He pushed two tapes into Anne’s hands. “I nicked these off an officer,” he said, “They probably have something we can use against Vlk. Find him, and avenge me. Avenge Jaroslav and Jan. They may take Prague, but we’ll make them bleed first.”

Everybody stood there, waiting for someone else to speak, as bullets whizzed around them. Tatiana blindly fired behind her, hitting another soldier.

“Seriously, you’re getting the hang of it,” said Anne.

“Not now!” Tatiana shot back.

“What do we do?” asked Boris.

Tatiana looked at Anne and Boris. “We do our jobs,” she said, “Like we always do.”

She pushed her rifle and some grenades into Vaclav’s hands. “Good luck,” she told him, “Goodbye, Vaclav.”

Vaclav smiled. “Godspeed, Tatiana,” he stammered, “God bless the Valkyrie. Farewell.”

Tatiana threw a grenade at the enemy. As the grenade detonated, disorienting the soldiers, she ran between the crates, blindly shooting at them. There was no time to think. All she could use was her muscle memory, steadily tapping her trigger as quickly as she could. She didn’t bother to look at where she aimed, but the enemy gunfire quickly tapered off, meaning she had hit most of her targets. Guess this was what Anne meant by blind firing.

As she took out the soldiers, Boris and Anne ran to the entrance. At the door, Anne turned around to look at her. “Come on, Tatiana!” she yelled. “We don’t have all day!”

Tatiana stopped firing to look back at Vaclav, who had hoisted himself up into a sitting position, grimacing as he pulled the heavy rifle up to his shoulders.

“Death is the greatest equalizer!” Vaclav defiantly screamed, his finger tightly wrapped around his trigger while his other hand lobbed grenades at the soldiers, “More equal than equalism itself! Better dead than red!”

Tatiana forced herself to turn away, knowing what would happen to Vaclav. Her legs kicked into motion, pounding against the concrete floor so quickly it felt like a blur. The next thing she remembered was Anne running next to her, firing back as they got in the car. Tatiana’s hands instinctively turned the key in the ignition before reaching for the gearbox and shifting into drive, her feet slamming on the gas. Seconds later, the warehouse front exploded in an intense orange fireball, wood and metal fragments billowing outward onto the street. But there was no time to mourn or to stop. Her feet remained glued to the pedals, and they continued accelerating down the street. Her eyes darted from mirror to mirror, making sure nobody was in pursuit.

After five minutes of silent driving, Boris cursed. “Another day, another Jan. This is getting ridiculous.”

“Hey, at least we’re still here,” said Tatiana, “We carry on the fight for Vaclav and the others.”

“What fight?” said Boris. “The city’s beyond saving. You heard Vaclav back there. If Vaclav himself had no hope, what hope do we have?”

“He’s not the leader of the rebellion,” said Tatiana.

“Who is, then?” Boris shot back.

Tatiana’s mind raced, trying to find a name and a face. The adrenaline made thinking hard. She was still focused on getting away from the warehouse. Finally, she shook her head. She didn’t know who was the leader of the rebellion, if there was a leader at this point.

Anne noticed Tatiana’s distress. To change the topic, she leaned over and held up the tapes.

“We have these,” she explained, “Vaclav didn’t give his life for nothing. There’s got to be something on them we can use to take down Vlk.”

Tatiana took one of the tapes. “I don’t think the KGB’s stupid enough to put compromising information on one of their agents on a tape that was easily stolen.”

“It’s worth a shot,” said Anne, shrugging nonchalantly, “What do we have to lose?”

Tatiana thought for a moment, turning over the tape in her hand. Then she impulsively stuffed it into the car’s tape player and hit play. As expected, the radio played back nothing but a bunch of static and random gibberish.

“Encrypted,” she noted, “Of course it is.”

“Two different kinds of tapes, too,” said Anne, holding up the other tape, “If you look at what they’re made of.”

Tatiana looked closely at Anne’s tape. “Actually, they’re not.”

She ejected her tape and loaded Anne’s tape. Sure enough, the radio spewed out the same pattern of static and random gibberish.

“They’re copies of each other,” she realized, “Encrypted the same way.”

“Erica can help out,” said Anne, “She’s got some decryption hardware at the safehouse.”

“We should split up,” said Tatiana, “Boris and I’ll run this on Vaclav’s machines. He gave us one of them last week. Should try out most of the common encryption techniques. You can have Erica decode the other tape, and we can compare what we got for errors. Can’t put our eggs in one basket, you know.”

Anne hesitated for a second. Then she nodded in agreement. “Good call. Vaclav won’t have died in vain, then.”

“We shouldn’t have left Vaclav there to die,” Boris interrupted, “We could’ve saved him.”

“Hey, if we tried to save him, we could all have been killed,” Anne reasoned, “And the hospital’s too far away. He would’ve bled out before we even got close.”

“Says the Valkyrie,” Boris retorted, his voice rising, “You’d survive. We’d both die.”

“Hey, I wouldn’t leave without either of you!” replied Anne, her tone one of frustration.

“No, you’d turn and run as soon as possible, so the Valkyrie will never be defeated,” Boris said, “Isn’t that what happened in Pressburg? Isn’t that how Jan died?”

“Jan’s death is none of your business, Boris,” Anne shot back.

“Jan was my friend!” Boris shouted. “So were Jaroslav and Vaclav! And now they’re all dead, because of us, because of you!”

“Vaclav put himself in this mission, and I wasn’t there yesterday!” Anne retorted.

“EXACTLY!” said Boris.

“BORIS! ANNE!” Tatiana lashed out. “ENOUGH! BOTH OF YOU!”

Both immediately shut up, averting their eyes.

“Sorry, love,” said Boris, wringing his head, “Got carried away there. Bit stressed out today.”

“So did I,” said Anne, “I should be better than this.”

“Guys, we can do this,” said Tatiana, “We can finally end Vlk. We have the resources, and we have the manpower. We need teamwork, and we don’t have time to argue. So let’s get this last job done. Like we—”

“—always do,” Anne finished.

They pulled up at an abandoned shop and got out of the car. After taking out any items that could identify them, they walked the last few blocks on foot, finally arriving in front of Tatiana’s and Boris’s house.

“Wonder how Nina’s doing,” said Boris.

“I hope Olga behaved today,” said Tatiana, “Or else Nina’s going to have a lot of questions.”

“Sometimes, I wonder how you guys stayed hidden for so long,” said Anne, “I mean, this neighborhood’s been rebel-held for how long now?”

“Nothing a few ‘infiltration’ explanations, falsified papers, and bribes can’t fix,” said Tatiana, “Those Soviets are so corrupt they’d make great CEOs.”

“Well, we’ve been exposed,” said Boris, “Since yesterday, in fact. They’ll be coming after us soon. The rebels around us can help a little, but they won’t buy us much time.”

“I’ll tell Erica to get the helicopter ready,” said Anne, “Got enough fuel left in it to take you to the border. Just show up at about nine in the morning.”

“Got it,” said Tatiana, “And the Novaks?”

“Their papers should be ready tomorrow,” said Anne, turning away, "Just show up at nine."

“You’re not coming inside with us?” Tatiana asked.

“Got to get the tape to Erica, remember?” said Anne.

“Oh, right,” said Tatiana.

She hugged Anne one more time.

“Take care,” replied Anne.

“Of course I will,” said Tatiana, “See you tomorrow.”

By the time she finished saying that, Anne had crossed the street and vanished into the spaces between houses.

“I hate it when she does that,” Boris commented.

“She’s the Valkyrie,” said Tatiana, “She just does it.”

“I can still hear you from here!” shouted Anne.

“Let’s go inside,” said Tatiana.

They walked to the front door, and Tatiana raised her fist to knock. Before she could do so, Nina flung open the door.

“Thank goodness you’re here!” she exclaimed.

“What did Olga do this time?” Tatiana asked, facepalming.

“Nothing,” Nina said, “She’s been remarkably well-behaved today. Same goes for Irina.”

“Then what’s the problem?” asked Boris.

“Alek just called,” Nina said, “Pavel’s putting up quite a fuss, and he needs me to help him.”

“You better go then,” Tatiana said, “We’ll take it from…”

Her voice trailed off, because by the time she got there Nina had already pushed past them and gotten into her car.

“We still good for tomorrow?” Nina asked.

“Ask Anne,” Tatiana said, “She’s got a plan for tomorrow. I’ll have the papers ready for you in the morning. So yeah, should start packing.”

Nina’s face changed to one of utter joy. Then she stepped out of the car and embraced Tatiana.

“Thank you!” she beamed. “Thank you so much!”

“Just doing my job,” Tatiana replied.

“Like you always do,” Nina said, “Well, I better get going then. I’ll tell you about what Pavel did tomorrow!”

“When we’re in the Reich?” Tatiana said. “Throw in a nice Viennese dinner and I’m up for it!”

Nina smiled as she climbed back into her car and started the engine. “I’ll arrange it.”

She drove off, her engine sputtering and exhaust pipe belching thick black smoke as she turned a corner and disappeared.

“A Viennese dinner?” Boris asked. “Thought the plan was Munich.”

“We’ll worry about that on the helicopter,” Tatiana replied, cheerfully pushing Boris inside.

“Mommy!” A little ball of childish energy zipped down the stairs and quickly wrapped itself around Tatiana’s legs, forcing Tatiana to set down her gun on the fireplace.

Tatiana gently patted Olga’s head, running her hand through the little girl’s hair. Olga had long blond hair, just like hers. She looked up at Tatiana, her beautiful and wide-eyed gaze melting the tension in Tatiana’s mind.

“Hi sweetie,” she said, “Mommy’s home. How’s your day?”

“Auntie Nina was the best!” Olga boasted. “We watched SO many Hitler movies and baked some cookies after lunch!”

“How many cookies did you eat?” Boris asked.

Olga held up five fingers, grinning from ear to ear. Boris simply sighed. “Not again…” he said.

“What did you watch, Olga?” Tatiana asked.

“The one with the princesses!” Olga cheered.

“They all have princesses, sweetie,” Tatiana told her.

“Irina made a fuss the whole time!” Olga complained. “All I remember is her crying!”

“And where’s your sister now?” Tatiana asked.

Olga simply pointed upstairs. “I think she’s sleeping,” she said.

The little girl suddenly started pulling Tatiana into the hallway. “Quickly, Mommy!” she said. “I want to show you something!”

“What is it?” Tatiana asked.

Olga picked up a piece of paper and proudly held it up to Tatiana. “I drew you!” she said.

The drawing wasn’t much, but what could Tatiana expect from a toddler? Compared to her previous drawings, it was much more realistic. She’d always gone for dragons and other medieval scenes, though her skills were limited to sketching stick figures with crayons. This drawing still contained stick figures. There were four of them, two of them smaller than the other two. The figure that probably denoted Tatiana had yellow lines coming out of its head and a small boomerang-shaped object at the end of an arm, from which a line of dots emanated. The other figure had Boris’s curly hair, although it was wildly exaggerated. One of his arms was raised in a wave. Between them were two smaller figures, both depicted with long hair. The smaller of the two had brown hair, and the other had yellow hair. They held each other’s and Tatiana’s and Boris’s hands, and all had smiling faces. Underneath, Olga had scribbled “MOMMY, DADDY, IRINA, AND ME” in all capitals, with arrows pointing to the relevant figures.

While this was just another drawing, and Olga did draw a lot (to the point where Boris seriously considered signing her up for drawing classes when she grew older), Tatiana was touched by it. She didn’t know what to say. It was a picture of her family, together and happy. Tatiana never thought of her family like that. She always fretted from the perspective of her career, worried that her work might spill over into her home. She never bothered looking at the faces of her own children and wondering what they say in her. Anne’s words echoed through her. Tatiana did have kids too, and she tried her best to raise and protect them. Olga and Irina looked up to her and knew what she did. She had to be a good role model and a good parent. More importantly, she had to keep them safe. Was she a killer, or was she a hero? She glanced back at the picture and made a conclusion.

“Like it, Mommy?” asked Olga, looking up at her with her puppy eyes.

Tatiana smiled and patted her on the head again. “It’s perfect, sweetie,” she said, “Just perfect.”

Looks like the Tide has turned. Now the Doomsday clock begins to tick down, Will the Soviets Surrender, or Bring the world down with them.

In all fairness, Anne's children did get to play with Olga again. Just not how any of them imagined. :p

Looks like the Tide has turned. Now the Doomsday clock begins to tick down, Will the Soviets Surrender, or Bring the world down with them.
To Valentin, there is no such thing as surrender.:eek:
In all fairness, Anne's children did get to play with Olga again. Just not how any of them imagined. :p
I imagine Diana will have a lot to say to Olga if they meet again.;)
What have we done...
Just create the greatest thing this AAR has produced
Aside from WITKO IS TITO!:p

Please don't lock this thread mods

The End of History, Part 44

Prague – July 27, 1972, morning

crackle

Reporter: “…burns…Inner…tanks…Varennikov…Budapest…legs… forthcoming …rebellion…Scheel…impending…refugees…border shutdown…atrocities…condemnations…debates…Prague…lost…”

crackle

Tatiana woke up early, while Olga and Irina were still fast asleep. She stepped into their room for a moment, watching them peacefully dozing, probably dreaming about home. They had lit up like lightbulbs when she told them at dinner. Both girls could barely contain their excitement. After a long stay in Prague, they were finally going home. It took Tatiana and Boris about an hour to get them to stay in their beds after they had packed their belongings in their tiny light blue rolling suitcases.

Tatiana stepped out and closed the door, walking downstairs. Boris was already up, sipping from a cup of coffee as he listened to the radio.

“Morning, love,” he said, stretching his limbs, “Want some coffee?”

“I’ll get it myself,” said Tatiana, “How can you listen to that with all that static?”

“Hey, something gets through the jammers every so often,” said Boris, “Got the papers?”

Tatiana tossed the papers, stamped with the Hohenzollern coat of arms, across the table. They were addressed to Alek and Nina Novak, with the names of Pavel and Theresa Novak written just below. At the bottom were two more names: Tatiana and Boris Kirov. Next to her name was a thick red stamp: “APPROVED.”

“Erica delivered, as promised,” she said, “The Novaks are coming with us. The helicopter departs from the safehouse at noon.”

“Thank goodness,” said Boris, “Nobody’ll be left behind.”

“Told you we’d find a way,” said Tatiana, “We always do.”

Boris grinned. “We did it,” he said, hugging her tightly, “We’re finally leaving Prague!”

Tatiana drew him closer, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. “We’re finally going home.”

The toaster dinged, and Boris broke away, immediately stuffing the bread in his mouth. “Oh, that reminds me, the decryption should be done by now. Took the whole night to get through all the data, can you believe it?”

“Why don’t you check it out?” said Tatiana. “I’ll eat and join you upstairs.”

“Sure thing, love,” said Boris, “See you there.”

He got up and walked away, leaving Tatiana alone in the dining room. Tatiana stuffed more bread in the toaster, poured out more Tawantinsuyuan coffee, and got the jam ready. She tuned the radio to a Scandinavian music channel, broadcasted from Denmark via satellite. The signal was terrible, and she could barely hear the music, so she turned it off and loaded one of her tapes. Furen Zeppelin began playing.

Scandinavian music nowadays was a mixture between original Norse music and outside influences brought in by the partition. In the Norwegian west there were Native Eimerican influences brought by the Kanatan Norse. In the Danish south there were German influences brought over the border by Romans fleeing World War II. In the Finnish north there was a lot of Mongol throat singing and Asian influences brought by Yavdians. And where she came from, in the Swedish east, Russian and Norse music combined to produce something much different. There was the aggressive heavy rock of the Norse mixed in with many Russian folk elements such as choir singing, dance music, and use of an entire orchestra, creating many unique melodies that resonated with audiences across the free world.

The toaster dinged, and she slipped the toast onto her plate, spreading jam on it. As she eagerly ate her breakfast, the phone rang, and she answered it immediately. “Hello?” she asked.

“Tatiana, it’s me,” said Erica, speaking hurriedly, “Is this line secure?”

“Course it is, Erica,” said Tatiana, “What is it?”

Tatiana heard a loud noise on Erica’s end, like an explosion of some kind.

“They’ve attacked the safehouse,” said Erica, “The helicopter’s destroyed, we lost eight men, and we can’t hold out long. Anne’s coming over to you now. I’m sorry, Tatiana.”

“Don’t worry,” said Tatiana, “I’ll be right over. We’ll bring reinforcements.”

“No, Tatiana!” said Erica. “Stay where you are! Wait for Anne! You’re not safe either. They’re coming after you. No, he’s coming after you. You’re Vlk’s next target.”

“Yebat,” cursed Tatiana, “I should’ve known.”

“Anne’s on her way to provide backup, and I’ve warned the Novaks,” Erica said, “Don’t leave your house until Anne arrives! By the way, what did you find on the tape? I’ve tried every major cipher and all I got was—”

The line abruptly cut off. Tatiana slammed down the phone in frustration. Seconds later, she heard tires screeching outside. Walking to the living room, she saw two black cars pulling up at the curb, men in full riot gear and carrying automatic weapons climbing out. As soon as they noticed her, they opened fire. Fortunately, the windows were bulletproof, and most of the bullets simply bounced off, leaving little more than a few small cracks. They were also soundproof, muffling the sounds enough for Olga and Irina to remain asleep, hopefully. Tatiana found herself instinctively glancing towards the stairs, calculating her escape plan if they got through.

She reached for a thermostat and flipped a switch, revealing a hidden panel beneath it filled with more switches, all painted red.

“Equalize this.” Gritting her teeth, she flipped the first two switches.

The bushes outside swayed and opened, revealing hidden machine gun turrets within. The turrets opened fire on the street, cutting down the soldiers in the vicinity and forcing those further away to retreat to the safety of their cars. Part of the porch opened to reveal a hidden rocket launcher, which took aim and fired a missile at one of the cars. The car exploded, taking with it five soldiers hiding around it and scattering the rest.

“Yebat, yebat, yebat!” Tatiana cursed, despite the victory. She knew couldn’t hold out forever. More cars swerved onto the street and pulled up in front of the house, more soldiers getting out and taking up firing positions. She didn’t have infinite ammunition, and her turrets would run out in the next minute or so. And there was no way out. All paths through the backyard went to the front. She should’ve thought of that design flaw when she got the house. Where was Anne?

“BORIS!” she shouted. “Get down here!”

“Coming, love!” called Boris.

Erica said she Anne was on her way from the safehouse, and the safehouse wasn’t that far away. Assuming traffic was normal (as normal as one could get with tanks and machine guns), she should be here by now.

Right on cue, two of the cars exploded as rocket-propelled grenades slammed into them, and machine gunfire raked the street, cutting down more soldiers and keeping the survivors at a respectable distance. An old Trabant, hood profusely steaming, haphazardly careened and swerved down the street, Anne at the helm. She had one hand on the wheel, trying to keep it from falling off again, while the other fired away with her pistol. She slammed on the brakes and banked hard to the left, tires screeching and rubber burning as the car spun around, soldiers knocked down by the force of its rear bumper slamming into them. Anne kicked the door open (which snapped it right off its hinges) and stormed out, whacking a nearby soldier with the steering wheel still in her hand while shooting another one in the chest. The other soldiers immediately turned to engage the new threat, and Anne retaliated appropriately. Tatiana felt relieved that Anne was here, and she began planning how she would get out of here.

With the helicopter and the safehouse gone, that wasn’t an option. And if the enemy was literally at her doorstep, her rebels were no use. She’d have to fight her way out of here and rendezvous at the cathedral, where she’d meet up with the Novaks. At least she had Anne now.

Tatiana heard Boris running down the stairs as quickly as he could and entering the living room, his footsteps clacking against the wood floor.

“Oh, you’re finally here,” said Tatiana, “What on the tape was so important that…”

She turned around and saw him pointing a pistol…at her.

“I’m sorry, love.” Boris’s face looked...strange.

BANG.

Tatiana looked down. The front of her shirt gradually turned dark red, spreading outwards from a tear over her stomach. She looked outside, where Anne had stopped fighting, having taken out all of the soldiers. Anne stared back at her, completely in shock. Then she opened her mouth and howled like Tatiana had never heard her howl before. She couldn’t hear Anne, but she knew exactly what she was screaming.

“I’m sorry, love.”

BANG.

This time, she felt the bullet hit her. It hit her slightly higher than the first shot. More blood soaked through her shirt. Then the pain set in. It was an excruciating pain worse than anything she had felt before. She had been shot before, and she remembered each time, but she had never been shot this badly. And there was also the pain of knowing who shot her.

“I’m sorry, love.”

BANG.

Another shot caught her in the stomach. Her legs buckled, and she fell backwards, the ground rushing up to welcome her. Boris stood where he was, his gun still trailing smoke, a strange look on his face Tatiana had never seen before. At first, it looked callous and uncaring. It next looked like regret and remorse. Outside, Anne looked absolutely furious, furious like Tatiana had never seen her before, and immediately emptied her gun into the window, creating such a large crack that the window turned opaque, though no bullets got through.

Tatiana hit the ground after what felt like an eternity. She could now feel the sticky and warm blood covering her entire torso, spilling down over her sides and pooling onto the hard wood floor around her. Her legs were numb and unresponsive. Her arms felt like concrete immersed in honey. Her ears both rang and lay silent, not fully processing any new sounds, all of which sounded both far away and right next to her simultaneously. Her vision clouded up, darkness clawing away at its edges, and she struggled to hold it back.

As if in a trance, Boris stepped over her, holstering his gun, and walked to the thermostat panel. He activated the turrets again, and Tatiana heard the turrets firing again, emptying themselves in Anne’s direction. She heard the steady rat-tat-tat of the guns, accompanied by an occasional explosion as an explosive projectile detonated. She tried focusing on the noise, then focusing on anything after the turrets burned through the last of their ammunition, focusing on Boris, no, Vlk. He was Vlk. Of course. It was all so obvious in hindsight. But she could never have seen her own husband as a Soviet spy. It didn’t add up. Here he was, though. How could this be?

Just when she thought Anne was dead, she heard a thud at the door, followed by another one, and then another. On her fourth try, Anne kicked down the door and stormed inside, only for Boris to take her by surprise, springing from behind the door to immediately pistol-whip her. Anne staggered back, still coming to terms with who she was fighting. Boris exploited that, landing another kick right in her stomach. As she doubled over, Boris kicked her in the side, knocking her gun out of her hand, which clattered next to Tatiana’s arm. Anne staggered back again, wiping away blood from her nose, and then lobbed a punch at Boris, catching him in the jaw. He stumbled back, wiping away blood from his mouth, and mumbled some words half-heartedly.

“What was that?” Anne replied.

“I’m sorry, love,” Boris mumbled again, repeating the words as if he read them from a script.

“Too late for that now,” said Anne, shaking her head.

Boris drew his pistol again and prepared to shoot. Instinctively, Tatiana mustered the last of her own strength, wrapped her hand around Anne’s gun, lifted it into the air despite the excruciating pain flaring through her body, and fired once. A single shot rang out. Boris looked down, watching as blood seeped through his shirt from a wound on his upper chest. He clutched at his wound and dropped his gun, mumbling the words repeatedly. Then he toppled over and convulsed on the floor.

“I’m sorry, love,” he muttered, half consciously, “I’m sorry, love. I’m sorry, love. I’m sorry love I’m sorry Im sorry Im sorry sorry sorry ss ss ss s s s…”

And then he was still.

Tatiana’s arm limply flopped back to the floor, as if it were a magnet being dragged towards another magnet. Her strength fled her, her arm going limp. The gun slowly slid out of her grasp and clattered on the floor.

Anne quickly rushed over to Tatiana’s side, cradling her head in her arms and putting pressure on her wound.
“No,” Anne stammered, “No, Tatiana, no! I’m not going to lose you too!”

“They bombed…the…hospital,” Tatiana struggled to say, “You won’t get…to the…other one…in…time. I’m too far gone.”

“No!” Anne screamed, holding back her tears. “I can’t lose you too! You’re my only friend! I can’t let you die!”

“Anne, it’s too late,” Tatiana said, “Get out…of here…while you…still can.”

“Tatiana, stay with me,” said Anne, “I don’t want to lose you. You’re my best friend. You’re my only friend. Who will I be without you?”
“You’ll be the Valkyrie,” Tatiana said, “As you are…now.”

“We had plans,” said Anne, tears now streaming down her face, “We were going to go home, go to Frankfurt, settle down and retire, raise our kids. We were going to leave this life.”

“Looks like that’s…not going…to happen,” Tatiana said.

Anne cried more, which surprised Tatiana. Anne was never one to cry like a river.

“I failed you,” she said, “We promised to protect each other, and I failed. I failed you!”

“No,” Tatiana said, “You did your job…I did mine.”

She reached up, using what strength she had left, and Anne took her hand. Her voice sounded far away now. The darkness at the edges of her vision moved inwards, closing in on the center. She could barely feel her body. There was no pain. Only…peace.

“Can I ask for one last favor,” she said, “As your friend?”

Anne wiped away her tears. “Go ahead,” she said.

“Protect my girls,” Tatiana managed, “Give Olga and Irina the life I never had. Take them to the Reich and far away from here. And please…help them remember who their parents were…how much they…gave for them. Remember…us.”

Anne solemnly nodded. “I’ll find a way.”

Tatiana smiled back as everything faded away. “Like we always…”

Kiev – August 17, 1985

Olga looked over the file again, making sure she read everything correctly. She couldn’t believe her eyes. She didn’t trust what was written on these pages. But deep down inside her, she knew it was the truth. She knew it because she remembered. She remembered three shots ringing out in their house, thirteen years ago. That woke her up. She ran downstairs and heard another shot. She saw her father slump over, dead. She saw the Valkyrie talking to her dying mother, pleading for her to cling to life. And then she was gone.

She forgot what happened next. There were too many gaps in her memory, more than usual. She was a child, and children forgot many of their early memories as they grew up, but it felt like someone had erased the memories she wanted. The next thing she remembered, a bunch of Soviet soldiers took her into custody, and she remembered seeing a younger Minister Yazov among them. Then there was the funeral. It was a full state funeral in a cemetery outside Kiev, where her parents were honored as martyrs of the revolution, ironically.

If this file told the truth, why did her parents kill each other? It seemed to have something to do with Plan 1, which was heavily referenced, but Plan 1 wasn’t in the cabinet. The plan, whatever it was, was probably stored in Valentin’s personal archive, and she absolutely wasn’t going to break into his office.

As she flipped to the end of the file, two papers fluttered out. Like the photos, they were also crinkled and yellowed with age, and their corners and edges were slightly burnt off. The ink had faded in some places, and dried blood covered some lines, but she could make out the contents. They were letters of transit, granting the recipient a visa to enter to the Reich. At the bottom, two witnesses signed their names on both letters: Tatiana and Boris Kirov. Below their names were printed the names of the recipients: Alek, Nina, Pavel, and Theresa Novak. They were letters of transit, signed by someone named Erica and dated July 27, 1972.

More memories flooded back to her. She remembered that last dinner party her parents held, a few days before their deaths. She remembered Alek and Nina coming over with Anne, bringing schnitzel with them. She remembered tumbling down the stairs with Irina, gleefully crashing into Pavel and Theresa. She remembered how delicious the schnitzel was and how fast she finished it. She remembered Nina babysitting her two days later, watching movies and baking cookies and sketching with crayons. She remembered murdering them.

She remembered looking through her scope at the safehouse in Vienna, lining up her crosshairs with Alek’s head. She remembered her finger curling around the trigger, followed by a click and a small jolt from the recoil. She remembered the window shattering into a thousand pieces and Alek collapsing, the back of his head blown apart by her shot, which had gone neatly and cleanly through his forehead. She remembered calmly walking onto the street and through the doors of the safehouse. She remembered raising her gun and shooting Nina in the leg as she reached for a gun and sealed her fate. She remembered aiming at Nina’s head as she raised her hands, begging for her life. She remembered Nina remembering.

“…Olga?” she had said. “Is that—”

And she remembered putting a bullet through her forehead, like she was a dog to be put down. And if she were given a chance to do it all over, she sickeningly realized she would still shoot Nina again without hesitation.

“No,” she muttered, her voice rising with anger, “No. No!”

“It’s true,” said a voice behind her, “All of it.”

She spun around and instinctively fired two shots at the source of the voice. A man’s head, topped with snowy white hair, warily peered around the corner. After a few seconds, the former General Secretary Molotov stepped out, carrying a briefcase.

“Yebat,” Olga cursed, “What do you want?”

“You say it like your mother,” Molotov observed, “You resemble her in so many ways.”

“How did you know my mother?” Olga demanded.

“I’ve known she was Tsarist since Bratislava,” Molotov said, “We recruited your father there.”

“What did you do to my father?” Olga asked. “You made him kill my mother!”

“Plan 1 happened,” Molotov explained, “I don’t know the specifics, in case you’re wondering. I was not involved in that. You did read the file, didn’t you?”

“Are you here to arrest me?” Olga said. “Ship me off to Siberia? Kill me like my parents?”

“What happened to your parents was a tragedy,” Molotov answered, “Agent Kirov, also known as Vlk, was one of our most important assets, and we had plans for him after Prague fell to infiltrate the Reich…perhaps get close enough to the Kaiser or Tsaritsa to…take care of them. Agent Kirova… she was collateral damage, a witness and loose end at worse.”

“My mom was just COLLATERAL DAMAGE?!” Olga shrieked, brandishing her gun. “A LOOSE END?! AND YOU’RE SAD MY FATHER COULDN’T SERVE YOU MORE?!”

“Calm down, child,” Molotov calmly said, putting up his hands, “I can explain.”

“You better, or you won’t have a mouth to explain with,” Olga spat.

“It was all Valentin’s idea,” Molotov said, “He wanted to bring you back with us, turn you into a weapon that would be the revolution’s answer to the Valkyrie. He argued that with the right training and encouragement, you could come to ‘remember’ the Valkyrie killing your parents, giving you motivation. I voiced my objections to his plans. I thought that we shouldn’t brainwash an innocent child into becoming a merciless killer. I myself saw many terrors during my time as General Secretary, at the height of the Great Patriotic War. I had no desire to bring them to the present. Valentin was a younger man during that war, and he did not see things the way I did. He saw you as a weapon, an asset to be shaped and directed. I saw a scared child who couldn’t bear the emotional strain. He thought there was no price he couldn’t pay to advance the revolution. I’ve seen what happened to children like you decades ago, and we wasted too many resources molding them into ineffectual weapons instead of productive members of society. Valentin was clouded by his personal vendetta with the Valkyrie. I am above such feuds, my current ‘disagreement’ with him notwithstanding. But Brezhnev, that senile old fool who can’t read the Olympic rings for his life, wanted another weapon in the fight against capitalism, one unlimited by mutually assured destruction like Khrushchev’s missiles. He had you two brought to Russia and raised as our own. I’ve been watching your progress since then, waiting for a good moment to tell you the truth, or at least help you find it.”

“You’re Molotov himself,” Olga said, “You could’ve intervened sooner, you know. You could’ve stopped Valentin before he put me in that orphanage!”

“I did what I could without looking suspicious, and I’m sorry,” Molotov said, “You don’t have to accept it, I understand. I know you can’t trust me. But I can help you, if only a little bit.”

He set down the briefcase and pushed it across the floor to her. “Inside I have a map, marked with the address of a storage facility a few blocks away, and a key to a unit,” he explained, “You’ll find more answers there. You should probably wait a little bit before heading there. Let things die down first.”

“Why should I trust you?” Olga asked. “All you Party officials lied to me! You built my entire life around a lie! I’m Roman, not Russian, for crying out loud!”

“As I said, you don’t have to trust me,” Molotov said, “But you have my word you’ll find the answers you seek there, at least some of them. And by the way, there’s enough room in there to fit the whole file. It comes with a lock too. The password is [REDACTED]. No, seriously, it is just the phrase ‘[REDACTED]’. I’m not making that up. I assume you’ve jammed the security cameras in this room, right?”

“Okay, let me assume for a moment that you’re telling the truth, and there totally isn’t an ambush waiting for me at that address,” Olga said, “Why are you doing this?”

“You’re just like your father too, in a way,” Molotov said, “Neither of you signed up for this. Neither of you chose to work for us, and Valentin forced you to. I just want to set things right.”

“What do you mean?” Olga replied.

“Contingency Plan 1,” said Molotov, “Your father was bound by it. It compelled him, against his wishes, to kill your mother and tear apart your family, and I don’t know what it is. But something that powerful…it does not belong in the hands of Valentin Varennikov. I’ve seen many of my successors abuse their power, bring us to the brink of destruction many times over. Valentin is worse. He will destroy us all. He got your parents killed in Prague, and he started this ridiculous war, and he’s got his hand on the nuclear button. I don’t want you or your sister to suffer your parents’ fate.”

“And what if I decide to…get revenge?” Olga asked.

The old man shrugged. “I’m not going to stop you. I stopped stopping people long ago, if they don’t go after me personally. To the Party, I’m just an old man with a terrible desk nobody respects anymore, whose time passed long ago, but mostly for the desk. If anybody asks, I was never here. Oh, and will you look at the time, I’ve got a meeting with some Party folks who don’t believe I need a better desk.”

He turned to leave.

“Wait,” said Olga, “Why all this? Why all this lying? Why go through all the trouble of convincing me the Valkyrie killed my parents?”

Molotov turned back to her, an enigmatic look on his face. “From a certain point of view, the Valkyrie did kill your parents.”

Not waiting for an answer, the old man walked away, leaving her alone among the cabinets. Several seconds later, the echoes of his footsteps faded away, followed by a distant clang as a door opened and closed. As soon as she was sure he was gone, she reached for the file, stuffed it into the briefcase, and made her way to the elevator. She knew what she needed to do.

Darn, I thought it was going to be one of the Novaks that was Vlk.

The password is [REDACTED]. No, seriously, it is just the phrase ‘[REDACTED]’.
Please, don't thread there. If the 4th wall is broken, "he" might return