• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This must happen.
It will, but most of the action will take place in this thread, sadly. Any attempt to have Wilhelm jump into another thread other than the one I just did would look like spam, and I don't feel like asking the other authors for their permission. And since the Anniona megacampaign has moved into Stellaris, I will be including the Anniona universe scenes here.
Otto's impression of the New World's differences might be the biggest oddity to him, ignoring the Reich itself.

Nice seeing inside Trotsky's home. Funny ally for our heroes, considering their history with your empire.
Other than the fact that almost every major pagan religion still exists.:D

Chapter 352: The Visitor, Part 20

Tegel Airport, Berlin - 10 June

The plane taxied down the runway and came to a stop in front of a waiting car surrounded by Athanatoi. The door on the side opened, and out stepped a man in full military uniform, wearing horn-rimmed glasses and gripping a cane in his right arm. A series of bandages were wrapped tightly around his right knee. The look on Obergruppenfuhrer Dietrich Schmidt's face was one of annoyance. Not even the presence of Markos Angelos himself right in front of him could get him to change his expression.

"Obergruppenfuhrer," said Angelos, shaking Schmidt's hand, "Welcome to Berlin. I apologize for anything that may have happened during your journey."

"Couldn't you have sent somebody else to Casablanca?" Schmidt said. "I was hardly in the area!"

"You were the only qualified person to deal with the situation," said Angelos, "We needed somebody who had experience dealing with the Resistance there."

"And look what good that did," said Schmidt, "They got away, and I took a bullet to the knee! From my own chief of police!"

"Don't worry," said Angelos, "They will be dealt with soon enough. After all, good always triumphs over evil. But you didn't come here to complain, did you?"

He gestured to the car as an Athanatos opened the door. "Please. The funeral will be starting in an hour."

Schmidt sighed and got into the car, followed by Angelos and the Athanatoi. An Athanatos got behind the wheel and drove off.

"Tell me, Volksfuhrer," said Schmidt, "Of all of the Obergruppenfuhrers in the Imperium, why choose me? I'm just the man in charge of the occupation of Vienna."

Angelos laughed. "Call me Markos. And as for your question, you have quite an impressive service record. I've studied your file. You served in Neurhomania during the previous war. Fought at Manaus and other big battles up and down the Amazon before being assigned to Hindenburg's legion and participating in the capture of Cusco. Survived a Tawantinsuyuans gas attack that claimed the rest of your unit, subsequently killed at least fifty enemy combatants while holding your position until reinforcements arrived. Won the Iron Cross, Second Class and promoted to general in 1918, but never got a chance to command troops in the field. I feel your pain, Dietrich. You were promoted too late. I was promoted to a desk job too early."

"But why choose me? Surely there's another Obergruppenfuhrer out there more qualified than me."

"Dietrich, I am good at seeing the potential in every individual. And I see in you a lot of potential, even at your age. You have two qualities that many other great men lack together: loyalty and ambition. Usually a man only has one of them or neither. You have a tendency for ruthless efficiency at all costs, which is perfect for restoring order to the Imperium. These are qualities which make a man who only comes around once in many generations, a man who will bring greatness and order to the world."

"Um, I still don't get it."

Angelos sighed. "To be honest, I was impressed by your record of suppressing the Resistance in Vienna. I've had all reports of the Casablanca incident classified at the highest levels as well. It won't reflect on your record. Consider it a reward for your service to the senate and people of Rome."

They arrived at the Reichstag just as the funeral procession passed by, coming from Brandenburg Palace down Unter den Linden and under the Brandenburg Gate. Angelos and Schmidt got out of the car and took their places next to other prominent Angeloi on the side of the street as soldiers marched past in lockstep with men playing "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes. As the hearse Franz Ferdinand's coffin rolled past them on its way to the Hohenzollern family tombs in Potsdam (the actual funeral itself would be a private ceremony for the various Maximists, with some Angeloi supervision to make sure they didn't try to do anything stupid), Angelos thrust out his right arm in a salute.

"The Angeloi protect!" he shouted with strength.

Schmidt quickly did the same. "The Angeloi protect!"

Everybody else soon followed.

Angelos turned to Schmidt. "You know, Franz Ferdinand was a good man. He believed in a strong and powerful Reich. He believed in the people. He believed in modernity and progress for all Romans. Shame he had to die in the middle of the war."

"Yes, it was," said Schmidt, "I hope his son has what it takes to keep the Imperium safe."

"Not only that, but times are about to change," said Angelos, "All of us, even the new Kaiser, have to change as well to stay strong and united. Look at the rebels in Constantinople. Hey refused to change and thus have been condemned to the dustbin of history. They're on the wrong side of history. Right?"

"Yes, Markos. We're the good guys, right?"

"Of course! We're doing this for the good of the people and the state. Otherwise why would we be fighting this war? We can't let our values and traditions be corrupted by oppressive bureaucracies and obsolete laws and customs. We must reject the past and shape the future. Remember, the future--"

"--belongs to those who shape it," finished Schmidt, "I've read Mara Sangharsa in the original Bengali."

"Good for you," said Angelos, "Now, you must be a bit tired after your trip and coming straight from the airport."

"I've arranged accommodations with a local hotel," said Schmidt.

"Excellent," said Angelos, "Tell them to cancel your dinner reservations. My family's cooked a good meal to welcome you to Berlin."

"With all due respect, Markos--" began Schmidt.

"Please," said Angelos, "It's just a humble offer from one man to another. You can always turn it down and eat in that hotel of yours until the coronation..."

"Sure, why not?" said Schmidt. "Might as well."

"Splendid!" exclaimed Angelos. "A car is parked over near the steps. You can get in whenever you feel like it. Dinner starts at exactly six. It would be nice if you could make it on time. My wife doesn't like it if somebody's late to dinner."

Schmidt nodded and shook Angelos's hand. "Thank you, Markos."

"No need to thank me," said Angelos, "The pleasure's all mine."

He got into his car and drove off.

A couple hours later

Schmidt's car pulled into a rather spacious cobblestone driveway and up in front of a respectably large house built in the late Imperial Century style, which was popular during the pager years of Franz Joseph's reign. It wasn't large enough to be a mansion, but it also wasn't too small to be pathetic. As Schmidt got out, he heard classical music, probably that composed by Wagner, from inside. An Angeloi flag flew from the top of a flagpost nearby. One could almost forget that this was Markos Angelos's private residence if not for the large barbed wire fence surrounding the house and the dozens of Athanatoi constantly sweeping the grounds.

He walked up to the door and prepared to knock, only for the door to open and a middle-aged woman with red hair and a respectable dress to appear.

"Oh, you must be our guest," said the woman, throwing open the door, "Please, come in."

He stepped inside and took off his shoes as Angelos, now wearing casual clothes, appeared from behind a corner. "Ah, Dietrich, you're right on time! I see you've met my wife, Irene. Irene, this is Obergruppenfuhrer Dietrich Schmidt of Vienna, one of my colleagues."

"Nice to meet you, Frau Angelos," said Schmidt, kissing Irene's hand.

"Nice to meet you too, Obergruppenfuhrer," said Irene, "You can just call me Irene. If you'll just follow me, the dinner table's just down the hall. We'll start eating in a few minutes. Ludwig here will take your belongings. You can get them back when we're done."

A teenage boy appeared next to him, picked up his suitcase, and went upstairs.

"That's my son, Ludwig," said Angelos, "Very promising young man. Top of his class, outstanding athletics performance, part of the Kaiserjugend...he'll be a great man contributing much to society someday."

Schmidt, however, noticed something in Angelos's voice as he said that. There was a hint of sadness as he spoke, as if he was hiding something. It only lasted for a second before Angelos asked, "So, how was downtown?"

"It was nice," said Schmidt, "You sure got the whole city in order. I have never seen the streets so clean and with so few beggars!"

"You can thank the motivation of the people to work together for the common good," said Angelos, "The state and I are just there to give a guiding hand. And the people are willing to make as many sacrifices as needed to eliminate all burdens to society."

They walked to the dining room and sat down at the table as Irene started serving food. Ludwig and two other children, girls probably aged twelve and six, sat down next to them.

"Lyra," said Angelos, "How was your day?"

"Great, dad," said the twelve-year-old, "We were let out of school early today for the funeral procession!"

"And we learned the pledge of loyalty today!" added the six year old, reciting in a mixture of Latin and German: "'I pledge allegiance, to the Volksfuhrer, our great leader, our benevolent Kaiser, Wilhelm IV, and to the Imperium Romanum, the imperium sine fine. I vow to serve my Volksfuhrer, my Imperator, and my Imperium with utter and unquestionable loyalty. One God, one people, one Imperium. The Angeloi protect!'"

"Very good," said Irene, "You're learning fast, Erica. Soon you'll be on Ludwig's level."

Erica grinned mischievously at Ludwig, who just picked at his food.

"Children, we have a visitor today," said Angelos, "One of my friends from work, Dietrich Schmidt."

"I believe we've met, Ludwig," said Schmidt, shaking Ludwig's hand. "How do you do, Lyra and Erica?"

The two girls got up and curtsied to the best of their ability.

"You're one of Markos's friends?" said Irene. "What do you do?"

"Nothing exciting," said Schmidt, "It's mostly a desk job. I make sure Vienna remains calm and safe, along with its citizens. There's the occasional Resistance terrorist attack, but nothing too big."

"But where'd you get that wound on your knee?" Ludwig asked, pointing to Schmidt's cane.

"An accident at work, nothing major," said Schmidt.

"Sounds like a cool job," said Lyra.

"You have no idea how boring it is, to be honest," said Schmidt, "I spend most of my day just signing forms and reading reports. But all of us must make sacrifices for the greater good. And I would gladly do my job if it helps defeat the rebel scum, which it does."

Angelos nodded. "A wise man, allowing himself to suffer in the name of the greater good. Much like Christ did thousands of years ago to save us all. All of us are doing a great thing here. We put aside our personal wants and our disagreements to work together for the good of all of us. Contrast that with the rebel scum, who throw away innocent lives like trash and only work for the rebel Kaiser's good. But we aren't the rebel scum. We're the good guys and they're not. We have history on our side."

Angelos sighed. "Has nobody eaten yet? Go ahead, dig in!"

"Dad," said Erica, "You forgot the prayers."

"Oh, right, what a virtuous little girl you are!" Angelos said.

They all muttered their prayers quickly and then started eating.

"Irene, this is really good food," said Schmidt, eating as fast as he could without looking impolite, "I haven't eaten food this good in years!"

"Let me guess, since before 1929?" said Angelos.

"Actually, yes," said Schmidt.

"Otto's coronation broke the Reich's economy," said Angelos, "Without the policies I put in place after Hindenburg's death, we never would be eating as well as we do now."

He laughed. "But that's enough politics for today. Let's talk about other things. Ludwig, can you tell me what you did today?"

"Sure," said Ludwig, "Today we learned about the ideals of the Reich before they were corrupted by the Augustinian Code and bureaucracy, how the earliest Hohenzollerns wanted to conquer the world and spread the word of Christ to the heathens and pagans, and how we are now going back to those ideals of imperium sine fine..."

"Thank you, Ludwig," said Angelos, "How about sports?"

"I won first place in running and shooting," said Ludwig, "The local leader of the Kaiserjugend is quite impressed and promises to refer me to a higher ranking leader!"

"That's great," said Irene, "How about friends?"

"Eh..." said Ludwig, "Not really. Michael and his friends are still bullying me."

"Don't pay them any attention," said Angelos, "One day you'll be a productive member of society, while he won't. He'll be a burden, depending on the state to survive instead of giving back to it. A lowlife, a useless eater and breather, taking up resources that can be better used for other more productive citizens..."

"Markos, I thought you said that was enough politics for tonight," said Irene.

"I was wrong," said Angelos, "Politics, education, and society have become intricately intertwined. You can't discuss one without discussing the other. So we might as well make the best of it."

They continued talking, but Schmidt didn't listen, and none of them bothered to ask him any questions. He finished his meal and got up from the table.

"Irene, Markos, thank you for the meal," said Schmidt, "I really enjoyed it."

"I'm glad you did, Dietrich," said Angelos.

"I really should get going now," said Schmidt, getting his coat.

"By all means, go ahead," said Angelos, gesturing to the door, "If you need anything, feel free to drop by around here or the Reichstag."

Schmidt walked over to the door, and Angelos opened it for him. "If not, we'll still see each other at the coronation," said the Volksfuhrer.

"Yes, Markos, we will," said Schmidt, stepping outside, "The Angeloi protect."

Angelos grinned and did a casual salute. "You know, I always found that a bit annoying, but we got to keep up appearances, do we?"

Schmidt laughed. "Of course, Markos. See you in a couple days."

He got in his car and drove away.

--

Tenochtitlan - 14 June 1941

Four days of mental agony passed by, and Senator Otto dreaded the moment that Trotsky would contact him to tell him what he thought about the file. He frequently tried to reassure himself that Octavia's contacts were the best forgers they could find and that Trotsky would not see anything suspicious. He tried a variety of methods ot keep himself calm. After settling down in his room, he tried to take an evening walk, but Mercader told him that the government had a curfew in place and would not tolerate anybody walking around at night. And they wouldn't care if he was the Kaiser. So he stayed put in his room until the next morning.

On the 11th, he finally went out for a walk without telling Engelbert, who kept to himself. He trudged through the otherwise nondescript neighborhood, passing large and luxurious houses more worthy of a dynatos than the leader of the equalist revolution. He thought about how ironic it was that men advocating for a "dictatorship of the proletariat" and total equality for all lived like Kaisers while most of Mexico was stuck in poverty that was barely civilized enough to not be downright barbarian. He arrived in a small park and sat down on a bench to think. It was really easy to, as the park was completely empty.

On the 12th, Trotsky was out the whole day to attend a politburo meeting in downtown. Engelbert took the time to look through Trotsky's personal office, trying to find any files that could be useful to the Resistance. While all he found were a couple books and manifestos, he was a bit surprised that the bodyguards didn't do anything to stop him. Otto just went out for another walk in the park.

On the 13th, Otto walked to the park again, while Engelbert stayed behind to chat with Mercader. It appeared that the gardener really liked ōllamaliztli, the traditional Mexican sport. Although it had been officially banned by the government for being too reactionary, nobody really enforced the ban, and it was well known that government officials frequently played the game. Trotsky called up Molotov, and his words were encouraging: Engelbert informed Otto that Trotsky so far had seen nothing suspicious in the files. Trotsky told Molotov that the file appeared to be legitimate and that he should put the Red Army on high alert, though this mobilization should be kept a secret. He said he would call back on the 15th with more details.

Why was he even here to begin with? Back at home was just a regular senator. His family had served the Reich loyally for centuries, never once questioning the Annionas' rule. If it wasn't for a random film reel that his world's Markos Angelos had found, he wouldn't be here. But why him? Why did that angel choose him to go over? He remembered deciding to cross over to save his duplicate from an unknown but presumably horrible fate. He realized he was an idiot. In accepting the angel's offer he had gone down a path he couldn't back away from. His friends were probably rotting away in a prison cell somewhere, if not being tortured or dead. And for what? His counterpart was in no danger now. He didn't even do anything to help out. The alternate Otto did everything on his own. As for himself, he had thrown away his career and life on a crazy mission that had now failed and probably jeopardized the existence of both universes. And was it worth it? Was it worth affecting the balance of power in this world? Giving the Resistance some difficulties? Causing Engelbert and Octavia and Hans and Conrad and Uriel and Raphael a lot of stress? He was just one man up against a hostile world, one very similar to his own world but ultimately different. People had died because of him. Families had lost a loved one because of him. And now he had to deceive one of the most powerful men in the world, for what? Saving the Reich? He knew that getting the Soviets to intervene would only doom millions of Reich citizens to oppression by the equalists. Was that a reasonable tradeoff? Was he willing to sacrifice several million citizens to the Soviets to save everybody else from the Angeloi? Was he willing to lie to one man to do that? And what would happen when he did return home? He wasn't a hero over there. Nobody would know what he did. Nobody had to know what he did. Octavia would just throw him in a cell to rot, like his friends did, if not have her guards shoot him in the head immediately. Here, he was a nameless person with no identity and life; if the Angeloi or the Soviets didn't kill him, he was a liability and a target because he looked like the Kaiser. There, he was a traitor. Either way he was for all intents and purposes dead in both worlds.

On the 14th, things took a surprising turn when Mercader knocked on the door to his room in the evening.

"Trotsky would like to see you," said Mercader.

Otto shot up from his chair immediately and ran down the stairs to Trotsky's office, his heart beating. He would finally get his answer. He wouldn't have to stay in this third-rate country for much longer. While he still had some doubts about the file, he was confident that if Trotsky hadn't found something in the last three days, he wouldn't find anything now.

He burst into Trotsky's office, trying to look as composed as possible. Noticing that he was here, Trotsky got up from his chair and approached Otto, the file in his hand.

"Well?" said Otto, a bit nervously as Engelbert arrived behind him.

Trotsky shook the file next to his head, a cross look on his face. "IT'S A FAKE!" he hissed.

I really should have seen the DS9 reference sooner.

Looks like that whole trip was a waste of time. Guess it's time to convince the equalists that attacking the Angeloi is still in their best interests.

Looks like that whole trip was a waste of time. Guess it's time to convince the equalists that attacking the Angeloi is still in their best interests.
Nah, that's when you assassinate Trotsky and blame it on the Angleloi, assuming the analogy holds true.

Somebody's been watching them some Man in the High Castle. Always had a feeling considering one of the major characters is Obergruppenführer Schmidt, a cognate of Smith if memory serves. But on a more critical level one of the things I've been wondering reading the last couple of chapters is this particular plothole. Why didn't Trotsky ask why the Imperium would attack the ussr given that A the Imperium is already caught in a civil war and B, already has the important parts and of European Russia? The oil and defensive area of the Caucasus, the grain fields of the Ukraine, and the baltics. When it comes to geopolitics the Imperium can and should be able to bully the Ussr out of what ever it wanted. Unless of course this universes version of Mein Kampf also calls for lebensraum and the complete eradication of the Slavic race. Also maybe I should keep my mouth shut until the next update but whatever, given that it looks like Angelos is already in control of the next generation, and that the previous civil war also split the Reich in half along the same borders of this civil war, wouldn't that prove that the cultural differences between the East and the West are getting to much for even the Augustinian Code to act as glue for this whole thing? And if so, then wouldn't be better for the interests of both peoples if the Reich was split in half much like the Old Roman Empire? Perhaps I am reading to much into this...

I really should have seen the DS9 reference sooner.
Well, I did basically copy-paste Sisko's logs and a few quotes into previous chapters...:p
"Convince"...;)
Somebody's been watching them some Man in the High Castle. Always had a feeling considering one of the major characters is Obergruppenführer Schmidt, a cognate of Smith if memory serves.
Originally he was just a character named Schmidt, but he slowly morphed into Obergruppenfuhrer Smith. If I had planned that out from the beginning I would have named him Johann as well.
Why didn't Trotsky ask why the Imperium would attack the ussr given that A the Imperium is already caught in a civil war and B, already has the important parts and of European Russia? The oil and defensive area of the Caucasus, the grain fields of the Ukraine, and the baltics.
Not all of the Ukraine is under Imperium control, and the Imperium explicitly gave up all of the Baltic (in Lithuania and the UBS) to the Soviets. I can give you the Caucasus, but the Angeloi want to conquer the rest of the Ukraine and the Baltics.

As for invading during a civil war, it serves to (A) distract the people from the defeats against the loyalists, (B), get more land, manpower, and industry for the army, and (C), provide a propaganda boost.
When it comes to geopolitics the Imperium can and should be able to bully the Ussr out of what ever it wanted.
As you said, the Imperium is in a civil war with the loyalists, and it can't really "bully" anybody when it looks weak fighting itself.
Unless of course this universes version of Mein Kampf also calls for lebensraum and the complete eradication of the Slavic race.
I think a few characters mentioned in previous updates about an ideal of "imperium sine fine," that the Reich/Imperium, as the successors of Rome, were destined to rule the entire world (hence "empire without borders"). An Angeloi invasion of Russia would serve to both start the Imperium on the path to imperium sine fine and eliminate one of its most dangerous ideological and geopolitical enemies.
lso maybe I should keep my mouth shut until the next update but whatever, given that it looks like Angelos is already in control of the next generation, and that the previous civil war also split the Reich in half along the same borders of this civil war, wouldn't that prove that the cultural differences between the East and the West are getting to much for even the Augustinian Code to act as glue for this whole thing? And if so, then wouldn't be better for the interests of both peoples if the Reich was split in half much like the Old Roman Empire? Perhaps I am reading to much into this...
No, you actually bring up a good point. The first civil war did split the Reich in half (though ideologically and not culturally), but decades of integration brought the two halves back together. The people back then were mostly split by ideology and not culture (as the Victoria 2 culture maps will attest to), which was quickly resolved by the time the Weltkrieg began. The same thing is happening again in this civil war, with the two sides splitting more ideologically than culturally and this time to a greater degree, which meants reunification will be even longer and more painful (which will probably feature in New World Order). The Hohenzollerns will not tolerate a division of the Reich, especially after this civil war, but they can and will consider revisions to the Augustinian Code to better address the concerns of the people.

Okay, what kind of idiot would bully the son of a man who could get you sent to a concentration camp?

Your average hormone-ridden teenager whose only form of dealing with self-loathing and an overwhelming lack of self-esteem is through the belittling and bullying of others.

Well, Angelos is just as enthusiastic at home as he is in his work. His kids will grow up rebels or brainwashed.

So Trotsky found out the truth. Otto better get very convincing real fast, or we might be short one duplicate.

Well yeah but bullies usually pick on easy targets, i.e. not the son of the dictator of most of the country.

Ludwig must be a huge nerd then. :p Teenagers usually don't think about the consequences of their actions. I suspect either they don't even consider who Ludwig's father is, or perhaps it's the exact opposite and because his father is so important they feel that bullying him makes them better than Ludwig. I mean no one likes a spoiled rich kids because they're better off than you, so this is probably a similar thing. It gives them a sense of superiority. I doubt any of them would actually think they would actually get locked up just for such a minor thing. Remember, the Angeloi don't see themselves as fascist dictators crushing the people in their iron grip, so why should some random bully?

Ludwig must be a huge nerd then. :p Teenagers usually don't think about the consequences of their actions. I suspect either they don't even consider who Ludwig's father is, or perhaps it's the exact opposite and because his father is so important they feel that bullying him makes them better than Ludwig. I mean no one likes a spoiled rich kids because they're better off than you, so this is probably a similar thing. It gives them a sense of superiority. I doubt any of them would actually think they would actually get locked up just for such a minor thing. Remember, the Angeloi don't see themselves as fascist dictators crushing the people in their iron grip, so why should some random bully?
Although it is plausible for a rich kid with no social skills to be the target of bullying, we don't really see that with Ludwig. There isn't an indication that he's anything but a normal boy. He's also good at sports, which basically always helps. Overall, he's the opposite of an easy target; bullies go after easy targets.

*eye twitches*
I hate bullies.
Excuse me gentlemen. *cracks knuckles*

Although it is plausible for a rich kid with no social skills to be the target of bullying, we don't really see that with Ludwig. There isn't an indication that he's anything but a normal boy. He's also good at sports, which basically always helps. Overall, he's the opposite of an easy target; bullies go after easy targets.

Which fits him into the second category. He's too perfect, so that makes his fellow students jealous. The bully feels inadequate, so he takes out his frustration on someone who is seen as his better. The more perfect Ludwig is at things, the more likely he is to piss these type of people off. Honestly, teenagers always find some excuse to hate on each other. I certainly don't miss those days. :rolleyes:

Also, I find it amusing we're debating the reason for the bullying of a fictional character. No one likes a bully, I guess. I think @zenphoenix should write up a short narrative where Ludwig gets revenge on his bully. :D

Which fits him into the second category. He's too perfect, so that makes his fellow students jealous. The bully feels inadequate, so he takes out his frustration on someone who is seen as his better. The more perfect Ludwig is at things, the more likely he is to piss these type of people off. Honestly, teenagers always find some excuse to hate on each other. I certainly don't miss those days. :rolleyes:

Also, I find it amusing we're debating the reason for the bullying of a fictional character. No one likes a bully, I guess. I think @zenphoenix should write up a short narrative where Ludwig gets revenge on his bully. :D
Eh, perfect in academics vs perfect in sports, I guess. Ah well, I guess in such an alternate world what makes people bully each other could have been changed.

Then Dowagar Empress Cixi and the entire Qing bureaucracy!
Also, yes.
El problemo?
No problem, just questionable macro management skills. And I'm sorry, my Qing are great when I form them!

Chapter 353: The Visitor, Part 21

15 June 1941

Trotsky was nice enough to let Otto blame Engelbert for "giving him false information and risking his life" before ordering them out of his house. They stayed the night in a state-run hotel downtown.

The next morning, as they picked up their belongings and waited for a cab to take them to the airport, they saw some ambulances screeching through the street at high speeds, heading in the direction of Coyoacan. Engelbert didn't look surprised at all.

"Okay, what did you do?" Otto asked.

"Nothing," said Engelbert.

Otto knew he was lying but decided to wait until they got on the plane to ask again.

They never got on their plane, as at that moment two NKVD officers approached them, holding up their badges.

"Kaiser Otto and Engelbert Dolfuss," said one of them, "Please come with us."

"You're going to arrest us?" said Engelbert.

"While we can do that and very much want to after feeding false information to the former chairman, we have orders not to," said the other officer, "Trotsky has given us direct orders to escort you to a train which will take you to the CSA."

"For what reason?" Otto demanded.

"A certain high-ranking Soviet party leader has just been attacked in his vacation home," said the first officer.

"Which Soviet leader?!" said Otto.

"Leon Trotsky," said the second officer, "He was in his study when his gardener Ramon Mercader struck him with an ice pick. Luckily Mercader was apprehended and his swing was horrible. Trotsky's barely survived the attack and is being transferred to a hospital as we speak. He believes you may also be targets. The NKVD is investigating, but preliminary reports point to political assassination. We believe the Angeloi are responsible."

Engelbert almost smiled at the sound of those words. "The Angeloi attacked Trotsky..." Otto heard him whisper. "This changes everything..."

"That will be enough information for them, comrade," said the second officer, "We should be extracting them now."

"Come with us, then," said the first officer.

They did so, as they had no other choice. They got into an armored car with bulletproof glass, and the officers drove them to the station, where they boarded a train that set off at once. The officers stayed behind, for some reason, and the only other people on the train were the engineers up front. The two men had the entire train practically to themselves.

As soon as the train had left the station and charged through the countryside, Otto spoke up again.

"What did you do back there?" he demanded. "Why did Mercader attack Trotsky for no reason at all? You have something to do with it, right?"

Engelbert didn't answer him.

They passed the rest of the journey in complete silence.

The train crossed the border and entered the CSA, and after going through customs they transferred to another train which headed east towards Tejas City. There, they boarded a private plane bound for Britannia.

By the early morning of the 16th, they had finally left the New World behind and were heading back across the Atlantic. Finally, Engelbert replied to Otto's question.

"You really want to know?" he said. "Yes, I did it. Cast an attack dog spell on Mercader and forced him to attack Trotsky while spewing blatantly Angeloi phrases. It was a failsafe in case Trotsky saw through the deception. And the best thing is, he can't trace it back to us, and any attempt by either Mercader or the Angeloi to deny their involvement will only increase the Soviets' suspicions. And then they'll find the file, and their suspicions will be confirmed."

"Are you mad?!" Otto shouted. "A man in in the hospital and another has been framed for attacking him! And you say that's okay?"

"What part of 'we can't save everybody' do you not understand?" Engelbert said. "Sacrifices have to be made to win this war. You yourself said that this war was already a bloody mess and that a little more blood won't matter, right when you got Octavia to approve of this mission. Here's that 'little more blood' you asked for, and we are closer to winning this war as a result. Think of them both as tragic victims of war."

When he saw the look on Otto's face, he added, "That's why I'm on this mission, besides guarding you, right? Because Octavia knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked. And we'll get what we the Resistance wanted: a war between the Angeloi and the Soviets. And if your consciousness is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved most of the Reich, and all it cost was one godless equalist, one gardener...and the self-respect of an Inquisitor and a Reich senator. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."

"What's gotten into you, Engelbert?" Otto replied. "Killing and maiming people for no other reason than to advance the Resistance's agenda? Sacrificing millions of innocent citizens to save hundreds of millions more? The ends justify the means? You're no better than the Angeloi. You're not the Engelbert that fought to save Vienna and protect its citizens from the occupation."

"Alwine reminded me that I can't save everybody," said Engelbert, "Our ideals are hard to maintain in a war like this. She reminded me that sacrifices have to be made. We must prepared to pay the price of victory. Victory at all costs. With an enemy as powerful as the Angeloi, we can't afford to hold up our ideals when they hold us back. I hate to say this, but you can't save everybody, Otto. I don't know how you guys do it in your world. Oh wait, your Reich has never fought anybody on equal footing. You've always had the luxury of the high ground, a technological, intellectual, and economic advantage over everybody else. You had weapons that nobody could match. You had an economy that could afford to keep pumping out those weapons indefinitely. Your scientists and generals kept coming up with new tactics and weapons at a rate nobody can match. Hey, maybe you guys have already finished your version of Project Mjölnir. And for what purpose? To keep your Reich the dominant power. To give you an even greater edge with which you can conquer them and expand your Reich. You've never known what it is like to be ground into the dust by a superior enemy, your armies utterly annihilated by superior weapons and tactics, to be on the losing side of the war. You've always been winners, or you have been for so long that you don't remember what it is like to lose. You can afford to keep your ideals, because you're winning. But we can't. We're losing the war. And we need every available advantage we can get, no matter the cost. You can save everybody because nobody's army is strong enough to occupy parts of your Reich, meaning nobody needs to be saved. But we can't save everybody. If we try to do that, we'll lose everybody. I'm not going to convince you you're wrong. I'll just let you come to your own conclusions."

"You're all hypocrites," said Otto, "All of you Resistance people. You claim to protect the citizens of the Reich and the Augustinian Code. And look at you, assassinating innocent people just to trick the rest into playing into your hands. You're not protecting anything other than yourselves."

"Trotsky isn't a citizen, and neither was Mercader," said Engelbert.

"But they weren't Angeloi either!" Otto said. "They weren't involved in your war!"

"They are now," said Engelbert.

"And I'll have you know, we know what it is like to lose," said Otto, "When we fought that rogue general, Napoleon, we were on the brink. Our Reich was falling apart, and Napoleon was going to destroy our way of life. We dealt with him in a respectable way. No noncombatants were harmed. We saved everybody. We defeated Napoleon and kept the Reich and its vales in place. But you wouldn't understand, as Nikephoros von Hohenzollern never rebelled against you."

"What about the innocent civilians that you got killed in your little war? We had an even worse war than that. It's called the Maximist War. You don't know what it's like to have a true civil war, let alone two."

"We've been in worse. The Reich was completely decentralized in the fifteenth century, and most nobles ruled realms effectively independent from Vienna. We went through so much to centralize the empire again, but we didn't sacrifice anybody. Unlike when you exterminated the French, Arabs, Spanish, and Poles."

"You certainly did when you dealt with your Sunset Invasion, and when you conquered the New World peoples, and when you conquered Japan."

"We did not!"

"Yes, yes you did."

"Don't tell me you know more about my own world than I do!"

"You don't know what it is like to lose!"

"You sacrifice innocent lives and your morals to save yourselves!"

"You don't see the big picture!"

"You're a hypocrite!"

"Liberal!"

"Fascist!"

"Heretic!"

"Schismatic!"

"Coward!"

"Murderer!"

"Puppet!"

"Slaver!"

The argument continued until the two men stormed off to opposite sides of the plane and sat there in silence for the rest of the journey.

Kiev - 16 June, afternoon

Molotov's phone rang, and the chairman put down the copy of The Equalist Manifesto he was reading.

"Yes?" he said.

"I don't have much time," said Trotsky on the other end, "The doctors give me only minutes to live, so listen carefully. I have several instructions for you."

"I'm listening," said Molotov.

After Trotsky finished his last instruction, he hung up. A few minutes later, Molotov got another call from the Chairman of the Mexican Equalist Party, saying that Trotsky was dead.

He immediately called for his aide.

"Tell the Politburo that an emergency meeting will be convened in an hour," he said, "Inform General Zhukov to initiate a secret mobilization of the Red Army. And get me Angelos on the phone."

Berlin

The Patriarch of Rome was annointing the Crown Prince with holy water and asking him to affirm his duties and responsibilities to the Reich when an aide rushed up to Markos Angelos.

"What is it?" Angelos hissed.

"Molotov's on the phone," said the aide, "He says it's urgent."

"Tell him I'll send Goering to talk with him," said Angelos.

"He wants to talk to you, and only to you," said the aide.

"Tell him to call back in a couple hours. I'm busy."

"He says it's urgent!"

Angelos sighed. "Fine, I'll be right there."

He got up and left the cathedral just as everybody in attendance rose to their feet and shouted "Holy!" as the patriarch placed the imperial crown on Wilhelm IV's head.

After fifteen minutes he returned to his office, where he picked up the phone.

"Okay, Molotov," he said, "This better be important, as I just left a really important event early to..."

"Trotsky is dead," Molotov interrupted, "And one of your men killed him."

"What?" Angelos chuckled. "No! I would never do that!"

"Liar," replied Molotov, "You killed Trotsky. And we've found next to him leaked Imperium plans to invade Russia."

Angelos's face paled. Who had leaked those files? Goering hadn't found any evidence of a Resistance mole.

"I'm waiting for an answer, Angelos," said Molotov.

"He is a loyalist spy, trying to get our great nations to fight each other instead of the rebel scum threatening us," said Angelos, "Those files are fake."

Before Molotov could answer, he hung up.

"Somebody get me Goering and the General Staff!" he shouted. "I want a full mobilization and the execution of Operation Theodorich within one week!"

On the 17th, as Wilhelm IV was still adjusting to his new roles as Kaiser, the Soviet government announced Trotsky's death at the hands of an "anarcho-capitalist gardener with an ice pick." A few hours later, it privately issued a formal complaint against Berlin and demanded an apology.

trotsky.PNG

On the 18th, as Engelbert and Otto boarded a train in London heading for Paris, Angelos refused the ultimatum and publicly ordered a full mobilization to begin. Within hours, about 680,000 Imperium soldiers were gathered in assembly areas on the Dacian-Soviet border, with three million more spread out along the Germanos Line.

On the 19th, as the two Inquisitors left Paris for Frankfurt, Molotov publicly ordered a total mobilization as well.

On the 20th, as Trotsky's body was flown back to Russia for a state funeral and the Frankfurt Resistance met up with Otto and Engelbert, Angeloi tagmata disguised as Soviet troops attacked an Imperium supply warehouse along the Germanos Line in a false flag operation. An hour later, Angelos demanded that the Soviets apologize for the incident and pay heavy reparations within 24 hours or face war.

On the 21st, Molotov refused the ultimatum, causing Angelos to cancel the Pact of Steel nonaggression pact signed two years ago.

At around 1:00 AM on the 22nd of June, 1941, the Soviet military districts in the border area were alerted by NKO Directive No. 1, which was issued late on night of 21 June. It called on them to "bring all forces to combat readiness," but to "avoid provocative actions of any kind." It took up to 2 hours for several of the units subordinate to the Fronts to receive the order of the directive, and the majority did not receive it before the invasion commenced.

At around 3:15 am on 22 June 1941, the Angeloi and the other Axis Powers commenced the invasion of the Soviet Commune with the bombing of major cities in Soviet-occupied Lithuania and an artillery barrage on Red Army defenses on the entire front which devastated the Soviet lines. The heavy air-raids reached as far as targets near Kiev and Leningrad. Meanwhile, ground troops crossed the Germanos Line, accompanied in some locales by Lithuanian and White Russian fifth columnists. Roughly three million soldiers of the Reichswehrmacht went into action and faced slightly fewer Soviet troops at the border.

Angeloi tanks and other mechanized divisions charged ahead of the infantry, crushing all in their path. Millions upon millions of Angeloi soldiers began the slow march eastwards and northwards, cutting down all resistance in their path. Tsarist Russian and Danish troops attacked Soviet-occupied Finland, while the Indians and Iranians attacked Soviet-controlled Yavdi. Other Axis powers reinforced the main assault along the Germanos Line, and the CSA began invasions of PARA and the Commune of Michigan.

800px-German_troops_crossing_the_Soviet_border.jpg

Angeloi troops at the Soviet state border marker

At around noon, the news of the invasion was broadcast to the population by Soviet Chairman Vyacheslav Molotov: "... Without a declaration of war, Angeloi forces fell on our country, attacked our frontiers in many places... The Red Army and the whole nation will wage a victorious Patriotic War for our beloved country, for honour, for liberty, for equality ... Our cause is just. The enemy will be beaten. Victory will be ours!" By calling upon the population's devotion to their nation rather than the Party, Molotov struck a patriotic chord that helped a stunned people absorb the shattering news. Within the first few days of the invasion, the Soviet High Command and Red Army were extensively reorganized so as to place them on the necessary war footing.

In the Imperium, on the morning of 22 June, Angeloi propaganda minister Hermann Goering announced the invasion to the waking nation in a radio broadcast, "At this moment a march is taking place that, for its extent, compares with the greatest the world has ever seen. I have decided today to place the fate and future of the Reich and our people in the hands of our soldiers. May God aid us, especially in this fight!" Later the same morning, Angelos proclaimed to his colleagues, "Before three months have passed, we shall witness a collapse of Russia, the like of which has never been seen in history since the days of the Mongols." By eight in the evening, the invasion was in full swing.

20161119111447_1.jpg

As he watched the Soviets go to war, Otto had heeded Engelbert's words. The death of one man and the incarceration of another innocent man were justified. He saw their sacrifice as necessary. And the most condemning thing about killing Trotsky? He could live with it. The war raged on, but at least they weren't alone now. And though the Soviets had been persuaded to join on a false claim, they had still joined.

He lied. He cheated. He bribed and deluded men to cover the crimes of other men. He was an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... Otto realized he could live with it. And if he had to do it all over again, he would. Engelbert was right about one thing. A guilty conscience was a small price to pay for the safety of the Reich. He resolved to learn to live with it. Because he could live with it. He could live with it...