• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 165: Conference

index.php

Berlin, August 1836

The men in suits silently filed into the lecture room of the Imperial University of Berlin. There were about twenty of them in all. To anybody who might of seen them on their way through the campus, they could have been mistaken for the scientists meeting at the same time for the Imperial Council of Sciences lecture a few lecture halls down. But not all of these men were scientists.

When all of them were properly seated, Theodoros Mukhtar walked up to the podium, dressed in the robes of the Imperial Inquisition.

Theodoros didn't look like a good speaker; he was of moderate build, balding, and wore a monocle over his round-rimmed glasses. He looked more like a bureaucrat than the leader of an organization that fought angels and heretics over the last few centuries.

"This emergency meeting of the Imperial Inquisition is now convened," said Theodoros, "As you all are aware of, several weeks ago the Kaiser ordered that the Inquisition be reopened to deal with new threats to Roman domestic and spiritual security."

"What threats?" said Thomas von Canterbury, the leader of the Britannian branch of the Inquisition, "You remember what the angels said in December of 1835 to the Kaiser; they would all withdraw from the world for a hundred years and intend to honor that."

"It's not the angels," said Theodoros, "The angels have withdrawn from the world. But the vacuum they left on earth allowed...other things to take their place."

"Oh come on, get to the point!" said Wladyslaw von Piast, a veteran Polish Inquisitor, "We don't have all day!"

"Demons," said Theodoros, "The Kaiser was attacked by demons on 1 January but managed to exorcise and then kill them."

The other inquisitors broke into uproar.

"Demons? Impossible!"

"We have considerable defenses against them!"

"How could demons have gotten to the Kaiser without setting off any traps?"

"Enough!" shouted Theodoros, and the inquisitors quieted down.

"I will not tolerate dissent within my own ranks!" he continued. "We are in a difficult situation. With the angels gone, there is nothing holding back the demons from corrupting as many mortal souls as possible. To this aim, the Inquisition is to be rearmed effective immediately to concentrate on eliminating and containing the demon threat."

"But sir, the Inquisition, as an arm of the Bureau of Security and Intelligence, is not equipped to carry out field operations due to the budget cuts!" said Thomas.

Theodoros sighed. "The Kaiser will increase funding, I know he will. As for operations..."

He motioned to some recruits standing in the back of the room, who began passing out papers to the inquisitors.

"These papers contain information on every case of demonic possession in the Reich," said Theodoros, "There are also cases occurring in the Fox empire, Scandinavia, Lithuania, Kanata, and Russia, but due to...political circumstances...we will not pay attention to those for now. Study them, find patterns, and hunt down those demons. If we are to protect humanity against the forces that seek to corrupt it, we must act quickly. Dismissed."

The inquisitors and recruits filed out of the room, leaving Theodoros alone.

"Such idealism," said a voice in the shadows behind the Head Inquisitor, "I remember I was like that when I was young."

"I understand," said Theodoros, "But that is the only way the Inquisition can be rearmed and equipped to fight the demons."

Theodoros turned, seeing the outline of a man in a top hat, smoking from a pipe.

"They don't know the truth yet," said the man, "That the demons can only be defeated...with great sacrifice."

"They are not ready yet, but they will find out," said Theodoros.

"You did not tell them about the tablet?"

"No, I am not completely sure it exists, but if it does, they will find evidence of it. We have only theorized its existence from the Council of Sciences' findings in Babylon."

"I expect results, Mukhtar, and soon. The Kaiser does not have all of the time in the world. The reopening of the Inquisition is imperative."

"Yes, sir."

Supernatural intrigue sounds like loads of fun, but increasing the Inquisition's funding might be a problem. Any progress fixing your economy?

I've played until 1838 and managed to lower taxes to about 30% and tariffs to around 40% at the expense of cutting all national stockpile and military funding and keeping education and administration funding around 20%. The only permanent solution I can think of is keeping military and education funding low, because they're the most expensive.

I've played until 1838 and managed to lower taxes to about 30% and tariffs to around 40% at the expense of cutting all national stockpile and military funding and keeping education and administration funding around 20%. The only permanent solution I can think of is keeping military and education funding low, because they're the most expensive.

But it's so odd that this is a problem, considering your absurd wealth in CK2 and EU4. Has anyone else using the converter had this issue?

I would have figured that controlling half the world would prevent such an economic collapse, but I guess not. Taxes for everyone! :p

But it's so odd that this is a problem, considering your absurd wealth in CK2 and EU4. Has anyone else using the converter had this issue?
Apparently my wealth, when converted over, summed to around 150,000 marks (what I call currency). At one point the budget AI took out huge loans from Ming that I barely managed to pay off without destabilizing my economy again. Such irony, Germany and Greece having to repay foreign debts.:p

I suppose you'll just have to be poor until you can use your massive population and resources to get crazy amounts of industry.

Chapter 166: Peaceful Expansion

"Um...I think we went a bit overboard with the whole 'dismantle the legions' thing."
-Martin Komnenos-Doukas, Chief of the General Staff

"It still costs too much! Suspend ALL military funding!"
-Reichskanzler Metternich

Coming out of the recent war with Lithuania, the Reich's finances were still seriously out of shape. Thousands had been driven to poverty. Businesses and investors were paralyzed by the heavy taxes and tariffs they had to pay. The imperial government thus resolved that the military was taking up too much money that could better be spent elsewhere. The military certainly wouldn't be needed anytime soon, as a truce was being enforced with Scandinavia and Lithuania. Kaiser Sigismund II gave the orders to disband entire legions and dismiss their soldiers from service. Funding for the legions that remained in service was completely suspended, as it took up a disproportionately large amount of the budget, forcing taxes to be maximized.
20160401173618_1.jpg
The budget on 1 September 1836, just before the cuts to the military began

While the General Staff and Bureau of War busied themselves with balancing the budget and making sure that each soldier was honorably discharged so as to not radicalize them into Maximists or worse, a Malay citizen found gold in Indochina. This would greatly aid the economy, though it would not be enough to replace the budget cuts.
20160401174411_1.jpg
The reforms to the General Staff were completed at the end of the month, allowing Sigismund to focus on other things. The desert regions of Ha'il and the savannas of South Angola were fully brought under imperial administration that day, while Sigismund tasked the Bureau of Economics with reforming the Berlin and Frankfurt stock exchanges.
20160401174419_1.jpg
20160401174444_1.jpg
20160401174508_1.jpg
20160401174530_1.jpg
20160401174540_1.jpg
Die Zeiten issue number 2, detailing the development of the telegraph in Neu Rhomania.

In the Sunda Islands, a colonial incident arose when imperial police 'accidentally' disturbed a local holy site, angering the natives. The police appealed to the Kaiser to intervene in what they saw as a breach of the law, but the Kaiser sided with the natives and compensated them.
20160401174752_1.jpg
Meanwhile, Jin-Ming ties were strengthened some more as the colonial race for the Transvaal and Para intensified.
20160401174818_1.jpg
On 16 November 1836, an underground printing press was discovered in Sachsen demanding, among other things, a liberal government. It was promptly shut down.
20160401174857_1.jpg
1837 rolled around, and the liberal factions began gaining more power in the Diet.
20160401174929_1.jpg
Meanwhile, the budget was still not fixed. Sigismund distracted himself from the economic crisis by expanding the healthcare system.
20160401174957_1.jpg
20160401175016_1.jpg
By this point, Scandinavia's global standing had decayed so far that they were no longer considered a Great Power. The last war with Russia had cemented their decline and Russia's rise. The Reich's position in Europe was strengthened by the replacement of Scandinavia with Russia in the Concert of Eurasia. Tsar Yeremey I then ordered a military-industrial complex to be established.
20160401175052_1.jpg
20160401175112_1.jpg
On 26 January 1837, Emperor Pierremaskin I of the Fox Empire was crowned in Michigan City. In his speech to the people that day, he vowed to push the "Norse and Chinese imperialists" out of the Eimericas for good.
20160401175124_1.jpg
Sigismund did not pay much attention to the coronation of this young man far away on the other side of the ocean. Instead, he slashed funding for institutions enough to significantly lower the tax rates on the upper class in the hopes that this would spur economic growth. It didn't.
20160401175155_1.jpg
On 3 March 1837, Pierremaskin I made good on his vows to defeat Kanata and the Jin, launching an invasion of Kanata that day with Tawatinsuyuan assistance. The King of Kanata appealed to Sigismund for help, but Sigismund was forced to decline, as his legions were in no shape to fight an enemy halfway around the world. Kanata was thus abandoned to its doom.
20160401175356_1.jpg
Meanwhile, more diamonds and gold were found in Sudafrika.
20160401175533_1.jpg
20160401175602_1.jpg
On 30 April, word reached Berlin that the Jin Dynasty had launched a botanical expedition...in Siberia. Prominent scientists urged Sigismund to send his own expedition there "in the name of science." Sigismund agreed, though he wondered what could possibly be found in the frozen wilderness of Siberia.
20160401175716_1.jpg
In July, he completed his healthcare reforms, implementing a universal healthcare system that would cover every Roman citizen. But because of budget cuts, the system did basically nothing as of now. People continued to suffer.
20160401180124_1.jpg
Meanwhile, Ha'il was integrated into Provincia Israel-Arabia.
20160401180346_1.jpg
Just two days later, Kanata surrendered to the Fox, with Pierremaskin's armies having encircled the royal palaces at Markland. Kanata was deprived of most of its western territories. News of the surrender was met with celebration across the Fox empire and with anger in Kanata and in the Reich, where Roman citizens were angry for Sigismund abandoning his ally.
20160401180531_1.jpg
20160401180540_1.jpg

Die Zeiten issue number 3

Sigismund did not care much, because he had to balance his budget. With more cuts to education and administration, he was able to bring down the taxes for the middle and lower classes significantly, hoping it would be enough to get everybody out of poverty. It wasn't enough.
20160401180642_1.jpg
Despite the cuts to education funding, some educators found the time to improve on teaching methods.
20160401180718_1.jpg
On 9 November 1837, the Alliance surrendered to the combined Ming-Jin forces, ceding the northern altepetl of Sonora to the Jin Dynasty. It was clear that the Triple Alliance was becoming the "Sick Man of Eimerica."
20160401181240_1.jpg
More colonies were brought under normal administration in December.
20160401181447_1.jpg
As 1838 rolled around, a disturbance happened in the Diet. The liberal factions unexpectedly gained several dozen more seats at the expense of the conservatives, making them the second largest faction in the Diet. Worrying news, especially at this time, with the economy doing badly.
20160401181546_1.jpg

Last edited:
At least you're making progress on fixing the Reich's economy. Hopefully finding all this gold and diamond will stimulate things enough. Nice to see you're colonizing where you can as well.

Russia rising to be a Great Power in Scandinavia's place isn't too surprising, considering the recent wars. Who knows how long that will last though.

Kanata and the Triple Alliance are dying rather quickly without aid. It'd be bad to lose Kanata, as they're an ally and it would mean Fox becomes a stronger presence in the Eimericas. Triple Alliance... well, worse things could happen.

I'd expect that you could rely more heavily on tariffs. Usually it's not a good strategy, but you control so much territory that I don't see why anyone would need to buy foreign products.

I'd expect that you could rely more heavily on tariffs. Usually it's not a good strategy, but you control so much territory that I don't see why anyone would need to buy foreign products.
I have a feeling that if I increase tariffs over 10% I would starve out my AI factories and capitalists, which being AI would naturally have no idea to buy local instead of foreign.

Actually the AI is programmed to buy local first if possible.

Reactions:
Chapter 167: The Siberian "Botanical" Expedition, Part 1

"This is almost as ridiculous as Maximism."
-Metternich

"The fools, they think we're going off to the tundra in the name of science and find nothing there, when in reality what's hidden in the tundra is of value to us."
-Ferdinand von Wrangel, leader of the Siberian "Botanical" Expedition

Sigismund II stared at the piece of paper lying on his desk as the young bureaucrat from the newly-created Bureau of Science and Modernity nervously stood in front of him.

"Is there something wrong, Your Imperial Majesty?" said the man.

"No, it's just that..." Sigismund said, barely holding back his laughing, "Why Siberia, of all places? And why do we have to wait for the Chinese to conduct one? Why can't we just organize our own to the Amazon or something?"

"Well, because of the budget cuts you imposed on everybody the Bureau does not have the funds to conduct an expedition in Neu Rhomania," said the bureaucrat.

"Then why are you bothering me with this nonsense? If we can't fund our own expedition in our own provinces how can we fund one in Siberia?!"

"Your Imperial Majesty, the Inquisition has offered to donate significant funds for the Siberian expedition," said the bureaucrat.

"The Inquisition?! Why would they be interested in a botanical expedition? There are no heretics in Siberia!"

"Perhaps there are no heretics in Siberia," said Theodoros Mukhtar, walking into the room, "But there is something there that may help us fight the demons."

The bureaucrat quickly left the room at Theodoros's signal, relieved to be away from the Kaiser.

"Head Inquisitor Mukhtar, explain yourself this instant," said Sigismund, "Why is the Chongzheng Emperor funding a botanical expedition in Siberia and what business does the Inquisition have in sending its own expedition there?"

"Our contacts in the Eimericas, particulary in North Eimerica, have reported increased demon activity on the continent, primarily centered in the western regions of the Jin dynasty," said Mukhtar, "Inquisition operatives inside the Jin imperial government in Jinshan are telling me that the Chongzheng Emperor was recently attacked by a demon, though he survived and the demon was destroyed by a Chinese version of the Inquisition."

"Yes, but what does this have to do with the Siberian botanical expedition?"

"A few days after the demon attack, we picked up a strange pattern on demonic possessions throughout the Jin provinces," explained Mukhtar, "Almost all of them were archaeologists. Strangely enough, in each case there were no deaths except those of the possessed themselves, and their bodies were found near archaeological dig sites."

"So demons were trying to play archaeologists?"

"Not just that, they appeared to be searching for something. The Jin version of the Inquisition managed to capture one demon while it was possessing an archaeologist and interrogate it. It specifically referred to 'the tablet'. The same one we're after."

"But you guys don't even know what the tablet will tell you."

"The point is, this is concrete evidence of the existence of the tablet, and the reason that the Jin sent an expedition to Siberia is not to categorize the local plants but to find that tablet."

"And how did you draw that conclusion?"

Mukhtar hesitated. "I just...want to believe it's there."

Sigismund was silent for a minute. Then he stood up. "Head Inquisitor, I will give you three months to put together a team and prepare to set out for Siberia. I expect results upon your team's return."

Mukhtar bowed. "Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty."

------

Note: This was supposed to be a gameplay update, but because of real life complications such as getting sick and having a lot of schoolwork assigned, I was unable to organize a coherent narration of the screenshots I took. That will come sometime over the weekend or next week. Instead, please take this character-based update. My apologies if it's too short or a bit incoherent.

Also, around 1840 I took some advice and increased tariffs to the maximum, but it appears to have little effect on my budget because my education and administration funding are both still under 20%. Military and stockpile funding are under 10%. The good news is that I've been spamming factories as quickly as I could and began focusing on industry techs, so once that's done the budget won't be so bad.

This tablet certainly sounds important. Of course it's in some wasteland like Siberia. :p

Apparently the Reich is an example to support that autarky does not work. I honestly have no idea why you continue to have financial troubles with such a huge empire and all its resources.

Reactions:
Nice in-narrative explanation for why you'd bother with the search in Siberia, and how you can afford it.

Really hoping the Reich's financial woes are solved soon, as it is kind of ridiculous that it's happening at all.

Chapter 168: The Age of Liberalism and Nationalism

"Haha...no."
-Metternich to the Nahua ambassador to the Reich

"We will not rest until the Kaiser accepts liberalism as legitimate...or dies!"
-Anonymous liberal

The year 1838 began just like any other year, but that wouldn't last for much longer. On 11 January, gold was discovered near Kuala Lumpur, in Provincia Indochina. Eager to make good use of the mines to jumpstart the imperial economy, Sigismund ordered a large propaganda campaign conducted to attract immigrants and potential miners to the city. A few days later, the Kaiser decreed that the minimum wage was to be increased to make sure Kuala Lumpur's new miners were paid appropriately. This action was met with fierce opposition from the Maximists, Habsburgs, and Angeloi, with the former faction proclaiming that they would repeal it upon seizing control of the Diet. In response, Sigismund ordered the Diet to be concluded and sent everybody home, with the offending Maximists arrested and put in prison until they repented for their crimes and were properly "rehabilitated."

20160401181612_1.jpg
20160401181639_1.jpg
In February, the ancient alliance between the Ming and Tran dynasties, already severely strained by the China Wars of the 18th century, was finally dissolvved after the Jiaqing Emperor got fed up with the Tran's attempts to increase their influence in the Ghaznavid Empire, which was designated by the Concert of Eurasia as a member of the Ming's tributary network. Padishah Ayla I had recently signed several secret trade treaties increasing her empire's relations with the Tran, but once the Jiaqing Emperor found out, he mobilized his troops on the Ming-Ghaznavid border and demanded that she annul her treaties and banish the Tran ambassadors. Faced with a Ming invasion, Ayla had no choice but to agree. The Jiaqing Emperor then discussed the matter with the Tran emperor, Tran Han Thuong, who confirmed the existence of the treaties. Enraged, the Jiaqing Emperor terminated his empire's alliance with the Tran.
20160401181756_1.jpg
Back on the other side of Eurasia, the Bureau of Economics completed the modernization of the Berlin and Frankfurt stock exchanges. Sigismund then ordered further reforms on market structure to increase farming and mining efficiency. In Sudafrika, more diamonds were found, causing yet another influx of immigrations.
20160401181834_1.jpg
20160401181848_1.jpg
20160401181942_1.jpg
On the other side of the ocean, diplomatic negotiations with the Fox broke down as Pierremaskin and his government shut out Roman diplomats, refusing to cooperate in the Concert of Eurasia. Knowing full well that rebuking Pierremaskin directly would lead to war, Sigismund resolved to let the matter slide, sending the Fox emperor a letter thanking him for his time.
20160401182010_1.jpg
More colonies in Sudafrika were brought under normal administration as more gold was found.
20160401182027_1.jpg
20160401182036_1.jpg
Later that month, word reached Sigismund that the Persians had been firmly placed in the Indian sphere of influence, with Samrat Chakravartin Prithivipala I hailing it as a major diplomatic victory for his empire. Although Shahbanu Gunduz I and the majority of her subjects resented living under virtual Indian rule, she had no choice but to accept or face invasion from all of Persia's neighbors. With the Shahbanu's "consent," Indian businesses and advisors flooded into Persia, overwhelming local businesses and practically bending the Persian economy to serve India. They were soon followed by Hindu missionaries who sought to convert the Zoroastrian Persians. While many Persians protested this violation of privacy, they could do nothing about it, as the Persian military and police were controlled by Indian or pro-Indian advisors.
20160401182046_1.jpg
On 1 May 1838, the Chongzheng Emperor, Wanyan Xiongying, reached the age of majority and was crowned emperor in the capital of Jinshan. His coronation was attended by millions of Fusang Chinese...as well as a man named Lin Zexu.
800px-Commissioner_Lin.jpg

Portrait of Lin Zexu

Lin Zexu was a Confucian scholar-official hailing from Hongzhou, the second most populous Jin city. He was the second son of Bin Re, also a scholar-official at the Jin court. As a child, he was called "unusually brilliant" by his friends and tutors, and in 1811 he received a jinshi degree after acing the imperial examinations. In 1837 he was appointed as governor of Hongzhou before rapidly rising through the ranks of the bureaucracy and gaining a position in the imperial court at Jinshan by the autumn of that year. His fondness of maps and geography led him to work with a colleague on an encyclopedia of geography, expressing frustration when he found he could not label the Ming, Jin, and Tran dynasties as all "China." This frustration intensified when he arrived in the capital and was tasked with ending a coffee addiction epidemic, which accidentally brought him into contact with pan-nationalist groups which advocated the idea of "Greater China," a unified Chinese Empire made up of the Tran, Ming, and Jin domains. He found himself agreeing with the nationalists' ideas and began publishing treatises advocating for Chinese unification, becoming well known within months. Many nationalist organizations made him their leader, allowing him to unify them into a single coherent Pan-Chinese nationalist movement, which became known as Fuxingyundong (復興運動) - "Revival Movement." His followers were called "Hongshan," after the red shirts they wore.
The First of May saw the coronation of Wanyan Xiongying...and the first major Hongshan protest. Simultaneously with the coronation ceremony, Lin Zexu and thousands of Hongshan took to the streets of Jinshan, waving flags with golden dragon insignia symbolizing a united China and holding signs demanding for the three dynasties to unite under a single emperor. They all converged on the imperial palace, where they picketed in front of the boy emperor himself as he was being crowned. When the demonstrations threatened to boil over into violence, the newly crowned Chongzheng Emperor had to order imperial police deployed to break up the Hongshan.
Imperial intelligence took note of the Hongshan demonstrations that day and sent reports of them back to Berlin, where Metternich and Sigismund agreed that they were dangerous and had the potential to upset the balance of power established at Vienna. Not only would the Reich's principle ally in East Asia, the Tran, cease to exist, but a unified China could become hostile to Roman interests and have the manpower and resources to actively challenge the Reich.
20160401182103_1.jpg

Ignore the reference to Fuzhou
However, the Reich did not have much time or the resources to actively deal with the threat posed by the Fuxingyundong movement, for it had many problems of its own.
20160401182121_1.jpg
The protests in Jinshan sparked many liberal movements throughout the Reich, among them the dreaded Maximist movement. Angered by the economic situation and inspired by Lin Zexu, people took to the streets of random cities, demanding more rights and representation from the Kaiser. Many cried for "liberty, justice, and equality" along the lines proposed by the failed Persian revolutionary leader Eskandar Yinal, while more radical liberals demanded the abdication of the Kaiser himself and the creation of a republic. While Metternich and many prominent advisors suggested sending in the troops and police forces to crush the protests, Sigismund did not want to make martyrs out of liberals. He decided to negotiate with their leaders wherever possible and focus on other more important things, such as the economy. The states in the interior of Neu Rhomania were brought under normal imperial administration, while the Kaiser encouraged the development of the Reich's cottage industry, particularly in the city of Arta. The Kaiser also ordered the Bureau of Economics to formalize and modernize the insurance companies to increase tax efficiency.
20160401182121_1.jpg
20160401182201_1.jpg
20160401182213_1.jpg
20160401182224_1.jpg
On 11 June, the Triumphbogen, a monument to Sigismund's late grandfather, the renowned military general Nikephoros von Hohenzollern, was completed in Paris. Inspired by the First Roman Empire's triumphal arches, the new Triumphbogen displayed scenes of Nikephoros's many victories, ranging from his first battles in the Commonwealth Wars to his celebrated victories against Persian and Chinese troops. It quickly became a major tourist attraction for Gallia (Nikephoros grew up in Paris and studied at Paris's military academy), though it would constantly be overshadowed by the even grander Brandenburg Gates of Berlin, which were commissioned by Kaiserin Frederica Augusta III to commemorate the Commonwealth Wars, the centuries-long reign of the Hohenzollerns, and the Pragmatic Sanction.
20160401182252_1.jpg
Tax efficiency was driven even higher with the development of regulated buying and selling of stocks and the multitude of financial instruments, both of which were important in reforming and modernizing the imperial economy. That summer, a diplomat from the Alliance arrived in Berlin, desperately seeking aid from the Kaiser. The diplomat explained that Tawatinsuyu and the Fox, the Alliance's primary enemies, were negotiating an alliance with the goal of humiliating the Alliance yet again. Although Metternich and Sigismund did not approve of Emperor Pierremaskin I's Eimerican-nationalistic rhetoric or of Sapa Inca Tupac Amaru IV's refusal to withdraw settlers from the contested Para region (where Roman citizens from Neu Rhomania had settled), Metternich sent the diplomat back to Tenochtitlan empty-handed, proclaiming that centuries of Roman-Nahuatl hatred would not disappear in an instant.
20160401182328_1.jpg
20160401182336_1.jpg
The fourth major edition of Die Zeiten was published on 14 July 1838. It was deemed significant for preservation in the imperial archives because of its many high-quality and appropriate stories, including the fall of the Triple Alliance from Great Power status, the completion of the Triumphbogen, and the premiere of the popular comedic opera Zar und Zimmermann, detailing the exploits of Tsar Briachislav II as he journeyed through the Reich as a carpenter after getting lost during a Commonwealth War.
20160401182352_1.jpg
That same day, Sigismund ordered the minimum wage increased again in order to deny the Maximists propaganda and support while he ordered Western Mauretania brought under imperial control.
20160401182429_1.jpg
20160401182517_1.jpg
Revolutionary fervor, until now confined to Gallia, Anatolia, and Afrika, started to spread into the imperial heartlands of Germania itself. The city of Lucerne, on the border with Provincia Gallia, erupted in open rebellion, with citizens taking to the streets demanding more liberalism. With the budget cuts forcing the local legion to be disbanded, the city's authorities had no way to control the riots. The ideas of the revolution soon spread even closer to the capital, with Danzig's citizens succumbing to the seductive lure of liberalism and Maximism. Not even the discovery of more gold in Sudafrika could counter the revolutionary fervor.
20160405155059_1.jpg
20160405155122_1.jpg
20160405155158_1.jpg
Meanwhile, more colonies were brought under normal administration. Provincia Westafrika, on the border with Mali, was upgraded from colonial status to regular provincial status.
20160405155206_1.jpg
On Christmas Day, liberalism spread to the city of Smyrna, probably by some secret society. Realizing that cracking down on liberalism in such a populous city would only make the problem worse, Sigismund decided to overlook it and hope it died down after a couple years. It didn't, and when the Diet convened again on New Year's Day of 1839, Lublin's citizens turned to liberalism and rioted.
20160405155220_1.jpg
20160405155300_1.jpg
When a rich iron mine was discovered in the city of Graz, Sigismund realized that it could be used to help fix the economy and ordered that large-scale dangerous mining operations be conducted to get the ore out of the earth and into the markets as soon as possible.
20160405155315_1.jpg
However, just four days later, a more pressing issue arrived on Sigismund's desk. Tupac Amaru IV was still refusing to withdraw his settlers from Para, with Tawatinsuyuan and Roman settlements coming dangerously close to each other. On 8 January 1839, the tensions boiled over when a Tawatinsuyuan settler was killed in an argument with a Roman settler, provoking an international crisis.
20160405155329_1.jpg
The Concert of Eurasia was to convene for the first time in the hopes that this issue could be settled diplomatically.

Ah, the first crisis, and it involves the Reich no less. Those South Americans would be foolish not to back down, unless they know of the Reich's financial troubles that is.

A united China is one of the few situations outside of a rebellion or World War that I can see the Reich being in real danger. If that actually happens, you'll need your economy working the way it should and probably think about expanding into your neighbors (I'm sure Russia owes you by now).

The crisis could lead to war... but I don't think it'd be a horrible situation, given your strength over them.

Long live liberal revolution! We demand constitution!

Reactions: