• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In HOI3, Otto Von Hapsburg is the head of state of a Hungary released by the Western Allies. That's where you can get him.
That will help out a lot when modding HOI3 leaders. Do you know what Indian ministers are in vanilla? I need someone to represent Purandaradasa and his cabinet.

Reactions:
I'm writing some events to cover that, but so far the game doesn't seem to be processing them and about fifty other of the most important ones. Anybody know why?

You're writing them into the files while the save is active, right? Can they be triggered manually, or does the game think they don't exist?

You're writing them into the files while the save is active, right? Can they be triggered manually, or does the game think they don't exist?
What do you mean the save is active? I've tried triggering them manually, but the console says "Event #(number) does not exist)" in red text.

What do you mean the save is active? I've tried triggering them manually, but the console says "Event #(number) does not exist)" in red text.
I just meant that they're not events that you wrote before starting. Maybe try changing the event numbers. I've tried that before while modding and had the problem. I had the luxury of restarting my game, though...

I just meant that they're not events that you wrote before starting. Maybe try changing the event numbers. I've tried that before while modding and had the problem. I had the luxury of restarting my game, though...
Yeah, I wrote most of them just last week and some of them a couple days ago. I tried changing the numbers, no luck. However, I think I just found the issue, which was a missing bracket of all things that most likely resulted in all but two of the affected events (that I tried firing with console, there could be more or less) not being recognized. One of the remaining two is the event containing the missing bracket, but the other has perfect syntax and I don't know why it's not working. Will check tomorrow.

That will help out a lot when modding HOI3 leaders. Do you know what Indian ministers are in vanilla? I need someone to represent Purandaradasa and his cabinet.
If you release India you get a ridiculous amount of Indian royalty as ministers. I forget the exact ones, but it's pretty easy to test. The real challenge with India will be in finding the right one to use. As for China, if the Emperor uses a pic of Meiji I'm assuming that the Emperor for WWII will be Hirohito?

You could use British ministers as Indian and American ministers as Roman,also you could show Kaiser as George V(Head of State in UK),and indian emperor could look like Head of State of Raj.
P.S.:Eisenhower as Chief of Staff in Reich!:D

If you release India you get a ridiculous amount of Indian royalty as ministers. I forget the exact ones, but it's pretty easy to test. The real challenge with India will be in finding the right one to use. As for China, if the Emperor uses a pic of Meiji I'm assuming that the Emperor for WWII will be Hirohito?
Most likely Hirohito, but I might use the default Puyi photo if it looks better.
You could use British ministers as Indian and American ministers as Roman,also you could show Kaiser as George V(Head of State in UK),and indian emperor could look like Head of State of Raj.
P.S.:Eisenhower as Chief of Staff in Reich!:D
While that does sound like a good idea, I'm currently deciding on using Austrian and German ministers for most of my Reich ministers, though there might be a few British/American ones. And Megas Domestikos Eisenhower does have a nice ring to it.:p

Hello zenphoenix,
About Russia:
It would be interesting,if you will write event for 1910-1930 like "One Russia,Three States" or "Kiev Convention" about:
1)all provinces of Tsardom,that in real life belong to Ukraine,become Kingdom of Ukraine with Ryurikid king on throne(ally of Reich)
2)all Russian provinces(except of Baltic coast),that are in real-time Russia,become Soviet Russia with capital in Moscow (Comintern)
3)all another Russian provinces become Republic of Russia(puppet of China with capital in St-Petersburg)
This event could bring some adrenaline in political situation of East Europe and fund the base for making different Ukrainian,Russian and Belarussian nations&cultures in last chapter of this MegaAAR in NWO.
Am I right?

Last edited:
If you want Indian and Pakistani minister pics you could check NWO2 and Kaiserreich from Darkest Hour.I don't know much about modding but perhaps this can help.
Also why no Greek ministers for the empire?

Hello zenphoenix,
About Russia:
It would be interesting,if you will write event for 1910-1930 like "One Russia,Three States" or "Kiev Convention" about:
1)all provinces of Tsardom,that in real life belong to Ukraine,become Kingdom of Ukraine with Ryurikid king on throne(ally of Reich)
2)all Russian provinces(except of Baltic coast),that are in real-time Russia,become Soviet Russia with capital in Moscow (Comintern)
3)all another Russian provinces become Republic of Russia(puppet of China with capital in St-Petersburg)
This event could bring some adrenaline in political situation of East Europe and fund the base for making different Ukrainian,Russian and Belarussian nations&cultures in last chapter of this MegaAAR in NWO.
Am I right?
That wouldn't work though, because this Russia is centered on the Kievan Rus. Historically speaking a seperate Ukrainian identity evolved as a result of the Mongol rule over parts of Russia, which didn't happen here. There isn't a reason for seperate Ukrainian and Russian identities here. Also, Republicanism is dead in this world.

Hello zenphoenix,
About Russia:
Am I right?
That is an interesting idea, however:

1) UKR tag has already been set aside for future use.

2) The capital would more likely be either Tsarberg, Kiev, or Tver, because Moscow never became the center of Russian power in this timeline and is still a minor town/irrelevant city.

3) That would be stretching reality, because a Chinese puppet in Russia would not accomplish much beyond angering the Reich and would be hard to prop up.

4) Russia would never willingly split up like that in peacetime.

Of course, while I would consider this as an event to add in the future, it depends on what happens in the next few years.

If you want Indian and Pakistani minister pics you could check NWO2 and Kaiserreich from Darkest Hour.I don't know much about modding but perhaps this can help.
Also why no Greek ministers for the empire?
I just forgot to mention Greek ministers earlier because I want to have mostly German/Austrian ministers for now as the Reich is predominantly German. Metaxis's portrait might come in handy later...
That wouldn't work though, because this Russia is centered on the Kievan Rus. Historically speaking a seperate Ukrainian identity evolved as a result of the Mongol rule over parts of Russia, which didn't happen here. There isn't a reason for seperate Ukrainian and Russian identities here. Also, Republicanism is dead in this world.
Actually, there was temporary Mongol rule over Russia in CKII, with Mongol culture spread throughout much of eastern Russia (especially in provinces Russia conquered from Yavdi). I already have plans for Russia's future which would have effects reaching into the NWO installment.

On the subject of the glitching events, I think the problem might have been fixed. I've played until 1908 and most of the events (luckily all of the major ones) are working fine. The remaining malfunctioning events have been disabled for now but won't significantly affect gameplay (mostly just RP stuff). The update (on Scandinavia and Odinism) will probably come in the next two hours.

Chapter 231: The World in 1900 – The “Viking Caliphate" in the Modern World

Names

The Scandinavian Empire / The Norse Fylkirate / Scandinavia

Skandinavia

Norse Fylkirate

Skandinavien

Flag

370px-Flag_of_the_Kalmar_Union.svg.png

Coat of arms

150px-National_Coat_of_arms_of_Denmark_no_crown.svg.png

Motto

“For Odin and Harald Hardrada”

Anthem

“Commander of the Faithful”

Capital

Stockholm (official)

Copenhagen (winter residence)

Official language

Reformed Norse (Danish/Icelandic)

Old Norse

Other variants of Norse

Recognized regional languages

Old Swedish/Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, Icelandic

Religion

Reformed Norse pantheon

Government

Absolute theocratic monarchical Fylkirate

Fylkir/Emperor

1066-???: Harald Hardrada (Fylkir of Noregr)

Legislature/Advising body

Hogting

History

Consolidation (of various Scandinavian realms): c. 11th century

Establishment of Fylkirate: 1066

Unification of Scandinavia: 1070s

Kanatan Revolution: late 17th century

Maximist coup: 1848

Absolutism restored: 1860s

Currency

Kroner

Introduction

Scandinavia, officially the Norse Fylkirate or the Empire of Scandinavia, is a sovereign and unitary monarchy whose territory comprises the Scandinavian Peninsula plus Iceland, the island Jan Mayen, and the archipelago of Svalbard. Until the 1680s, the Fylkirate also included the island of Greenland.

The country shares a long eastern border with Russia and a short southern border with the Reich. Scandinavia has an extensive coastline, facing the North Atlantic Ocean, the Barents Sea, the Baltic Sea, and the North Sea.

In 1900, Fylkir Thorbjorn I of the House af Estrid is the current Emperor of Scandinavia. The Fylkirate is established as a merger of the Kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway and several other petty kingdoms. By the traditional count from the year 1066 the Fylkirate has existed continuously for 834 years, and the list of Scandinavian monarchs includes several dozen Fylkirs and emperors.

Scandinavia has both administrative and political subdivisions on two levels: counties and municipalities. The Sámi people have a certain amount of self-determination and influence over traditional territories through the Sámi Hogting, though with recent assimilation attempts their numbers have dwindled to the point that their culture is on the brink of extinction. Norway maintains close ties with Lithuania-Ruthenia and is hostile towards everybody else, though recently Yavdi and Russia have sent diplomats to normalize relations.

The country maintains a combination of market economy and a Nordic welfare model with basic universal health care and a comprehensive social security system, though with recent economic troubles it has had problems funding those programs. Scandinavia has extensive reserves of petroleum, natural gas, minerals, lumber, seafood, and fresh water. The petroleum industry accounts for around a quarter of the country's industry.

Etymology

Scandinavia and Scania (Skåne, the southernmost province of Svithjod) are considered to have the same etymology. Both terms are thought to go back to the Proto-Germanic compound *Skaðin-awjō, which appears later in Old English as Scedenig and in Old Norse as Skáney.[21] The earliest identified source for the name Scandinavia is Pliny the Elder's Natural History, dated to the first century CE.

Various references to the region can also be found in Pytheas, Pomponius Mela, Tacitus, Ptolemy, Procopius and Jordanes, usually in the form of Scandza. It is believed that the name used by Pliny may be of West Germanic origin, originally denoting Scania. According to some scholars, the Germanic stem can be reconstructed as *Skaðan- meaning "danger" or "damage" (Britannian scathing, German Schaden, Frisian schade). The second segment of the name has been reconstructed as *awjō, meaning "land on the water" or "island". The name Scandinavia would then mean "dangerous island", which is considered to refer to the treacherous sandbanks surrounding Scania. Skanör in Scania, with its long Falsterbo reef, has the same stem (skan) combined with -ör, which means "sandbanks".

In the reconstructed Germanic root *Skaðin-awjō (the edh represented in Latin by t or d), the first segment is sometimes considered more uncertain than the second segment. The Kanatan Heritage Dictionary derives the second segment from Proto-Indo-European *akwa-, "water", in the sense of "watery land".

The Old Norse goddess name Skaði, along with Sca(n)dinavia and Skáney, may be related to Gothic skadus, Anglo-Saxon sceadu, Old Saxon scado, and Old High German scato (meaning "shadow"). Scholar John McKinnell comments that this etymology suggests that the goddess Skaði may have once been a personification of the geographical region of Scandinavia or associated with the underworld.s

Pliny the Elder's descriptions

Pliny's descriptions of Scatinavia and surrounding areas are not always easy to decipher. Writing in the capacity of a Roman admiral, he introduces the northern region by declaring to his Roman readers that there are 23 islands "Romanis armis cognitae" ("known to Roman arms") in this area. According to Pliny, the "clarissima" ("most famous") of the region's islands is Scatinavia, of unknown size. There live the Hilleviones. The belief that Scandinavia was an island became widespread among classical authors during the first century and dominated descriptions of Scandinavia in classical texts during the centuries that followed.

Pliny begins his description of the route to Scatinavia by referring to the mountain of Saevo (mons Saevo ibi), the Codanus Bay (Codanus sinus) and the Cimbrian promontory. The geographical features have been identified in various ways; by some scholars "Saevo" is thought to be the mountainous Norwegian coast at the entrance to Skagerrak and the Cimbrian peninsula is thought to be Skagen, the north tip of Jutland, Denmark. As described, Saevo and Scatinavia can also be the same place.

Pliny mentions Scandinavia one more time: in Book VIII he says that the animal called achlis (given in the accusative, achlin, which is not Latin), was born on the island of Scandinavia. The animal grazes, has a big upper lip and some mythical attributes.

The name "Scandia", later used as a synonym for Scandinavia, also appears in Pliny's Naturalis Historia, but is used for a group of Northern European islands which he locates north of Britannia. "Scandia" thus does not appear to be denoting the island Scadinavia in Pliny's text. The idea that "Scadinavia" may have been one of the "Scandiae" islands was instead introduced by Ptolemy (c. 90 – c. 168 CE), a mathematician, geographer and astrologer of Aegyptus. He used the name "Skandia" for the biggest, most easterly of the three "Scandiai" islands, which according to him were all located east of Jutland.

Neither Pliny's nor Ptolemy's lists of Scandinavian tribes include the Suiones mentioned by Tacitus. Some early Scandinavian scholars of the Norse Hyperborean school and of the 19th-century state-sponsored romantic nationalism period proceeded to synthesize the different versions by inserting references to the Suiones, arguing that they must have been referred to in the original texts and obscured over time by spelling mistakes or various alterations.

Germanic reconstruction

The Latin names in Pliny's text gave rise to different forms in medieval Germanic texts. In Jordanes' history of the Goths (551) the form Scandza is the name used for their original home, separated by sea from the land of Europe (chapter 1, 4). Where Jordanes meant to locate this quasi-legendary island is still a hotly debated issue, both in scholarly discussions and in the nationalistic discourse of various European countries. The form Scadinavia as the original home of the Langobards appears in Paulus Diaconus' Historia Langobardorum; in other versions of Historia Langobardorum appear the forms Scadan, Scandanan, Scadanan and Scatenauge. Frankish sources used Sconaowe and Aethelweard, an Anglo-Saxon historian, used Scani. In Beowulf, the forms Scedenige and Scedeland are used, while the Alfredian translation of Orosius and Wulfstan's travel accounts used the Anglo-Saxon Sconeg.

Sami etymology

The earliest Sami yoik texts written down refer to the world as Skadesi-suolo (north-Sami) and Skađsuâl (east-Sami), meaning "Skaði's island.” Svennung considers the Sami name to have been introduced as a loan word from the North Germanic languages; "Skaði" is the giant stepmother of Freyr and Freyja in the Norse pantheon. It has been suggested that Skaði to some extent is modeled on a Sami woman. The name for Skade's father Thjazi is known in Sami as Čáhci, "the waterman", and her son with Odin, Saeming, can be interpreted as a descendent of Saam the Sami population. Older joik texts give evidence of the old Sami belief about living on an island and state that the wolf is known as suolu gievra, meaning "the strong one on the island." The Sami place name Sulliidčielbma means "the island's threshold" and Suoločielgi means "the island's back."

In recent substrate studies, Sami linguists have examined the initial cluster sk- in words used in Sami and concluded that sk- is a phonotactic structure of alien origin.

Other etymologies

Another possibility is that all or part of the segments of the name came from the Mesolithic people inhabiting the region. In modernity, Scandinavia is a peninsula, but between approximately 10,300 and 9,500 years ago, the southern part of Scandinavia was an island separated from the northern peninsula, with water exiting the Baltic Sea through the area where Stockholm is now located.

Some Basque scholars have presented the idea that the segment sk that appears in *Skaðinawjō is connected to the name for the Euzko peoples, akin to Basques, that populated Paleolithic Europe. According to some of these intellects, Scandinavian people share particular genetic markers with the Basque people.

History

Iron Age

Little has been found dating from the early Iron Age (the last 500 years BCE). The dead were cremated, and their graves contain few burial goods. During the first four centuries CE the people of Scandinavia were in contact with Roman-occupied Gaul. About 70 Roman bronze cauldrons, often used as burial urns, have been found. Contact with the civilized countries farther south brought a knowledge of runes; the oldest known Norse runic inscription dates from the 3rd century. At this time the amount of settled area in the country increased, a development that can be traced by coordinated studies of topography, archaeology, and place-names. The oldest root names, such as nes, vik, and bø ("cape," "bay," and "farm"), are of great antiquity, dating perhaps from the Bronze Age, whereas the earliest of the groups of compound names with the suffixes vin ("meadow") or heim ("settlement"), as in Bjorgvin or Saeheim, usually date from the 1st century CE.

Archaeologists first made the decision to divide the Iron Age of Northern Europe into distinct pre-Roman and Roman Iron Ages after Emil Vedel unearthed a number of Iron Age artifacts in 1866 on the island of Bornholm. They did not exhibit the same permeating Roman influence seen in most other artifacts from the early centuries AD, indicating that parts of northern Europe had not yet come into contact with the Romans at the beginning of the Iron Age.

Migration Age

The period in Scandinavia immediately after the destruction of the First Roman Empire by the Germanic tribes (5th century) is characterized by rich finds, including chieftains' graves containing magnificent weapons and gold objects. Hill forts were built on precipitous rocks for defense. Excavation has revealed stone foundations of farmhouses 18 to 27 meters long—one even 46 meters long—the roofs of which were supported on wooden posts. These houses were family homesteads where several generations lived together, with people and cattle under one roof.

These states were based on either clans or tribes (e.g., the Horder of Hordaland in western Scandinavia). By the 9th century each of these small states had things, or tings (local or regional assemblies), for negotiating and settling disputes. The thing meeting places, each eventually with a horg (open-air sanctuary) or a hov (temple; literally "hill"), were usually situated on the oldest and best farms, which belonged to the chieftains and wealthiest farmers. The regional things united to form even larger units: assemblies of deputy yeomen from several regions. In this way, the lagting (assemblies for negotiations and lawmaking) developed. The Gulating had its meeting place by Sognefjord and may have been the center of an aristocratic confederation along the western fjords and islands called the Gulatingslag. The Frostating was the assembly for the leaders in the Trondheimsfjord area; the earls Jarls of Lade, near Trondheim, seem to have enlarged the Frostatingslag by adding the coastland from Romsdalsfjord to the Lofoten Islands.

Viking Age

From the 8th century Scandinavia was the source of Vikings. The looting of the monastery at Lindisfarne in Northeast England in 793 by Norse has long been regarded as the event which marked the beginning of the Viking Age. This age was characterized by expansion and emigration by Viking seafarers. They colonized, raided, and traded in all parts of Europe. Viking explorers from Noregr first discovered Iceland by accident in the 9th century when heading for the Faroe Islands, and eventually came across and colonized Vinland briefly (the colony would be abandoned after a native slave raid destroyed the settlement; it is generally believed that captured Vikings from Vinland were instrumental in the rise of the Triple Alliance). The Vikings from Noregr were most active in the northern and western British Isles and eastern North Eimerica isles.

The Vikings from Danmark were most active in eastern and southern Britannia and Western Europe. They conquered and settled parts of Britannia (known as the Danelaw) under King Sweyn Forkbeard in 1013, and France where Danes and Norwegians founded Normandy with Rollo as duke. More Anglo-Saxon pence of this period have been found in Denmark than in England.

It is believed that Vikings from Svithjod and Gutar mainly travelled east and south, going to Finland, the Baltic countries, Russia, Ruthenia, the Black Sea and even as far as Baghdad. Their routes passed through the Dnieper south to Constantinople, on which they carried out numerous raids. The Second Roman Emperor Theophilos noticed their great skills in war, and invited them to serve as his personal bodyguard, known as the Varangian Guard, which still serves as the personal bodyguard of the Kaiser of Rome. The Swedish Vikings, called Rus’ are believed to be the founding fathers of Kievan Rus' and the Rurikovich dynasty which rules over Russia.

Arab traveler Ibn Fadlan said:
I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Itil. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blond and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free. Each man has an axe, a sword, and a knife, and keeps each by him at all times. The swords are broad and grooved, of Frankish sort.
The actions of these Swedish Vikings are commemorated on many runestones in Svithjod, such as the Greece runestones and the Varangian runestones. There was also considerable participation in expeditions westwards, which are commemorated on stones such as the England runestones. The last major Swedish Viking expedition before unification appears to have been the ill-fated expedition of Ingvar the Far-Travelled to Serkland, the region south-east of the Caspian Sea. Its members are commemorated on the Ingvar runestones, none of which mentions any survivor. What happened to the crew is unknown, but it is believed that they died of sickness.

During the early stages of the Scandinavian Viking Age, Ystad in Scania and Paviken on Gotland were flourishing centers of trade. Remains of what is believed to have been a large market dating from 600–700 CE have been found in Ystad. In Paviken, an important center of trade in the Baltic region during the 9th and 10th century, remains have been found of a large Viking Age harbor with shipbuilding yards and handicraft industries. Between 800 and 1000, trade brought an abundance of silver to Gotland, and according to some scholars, the Gotlanders of this era hoarded more silver than the rest of the population of Scandinavia combined.

Temporary Christianization

As attested by the Jelling stones, the Danes were Christianized around 965 by Harald Bluetooth, the son of Gorm. It is believed that Denmark became Christian for political reasons so as not to get invaded by the rising Christian power in Europe, the Holy Roman Empire (one of the precursors of the Reich), which was an important trading area for the Danes prior to unification. In that case, Harald built six fortresses around Danmark called Trelleborg and built a further Danevirke. In the early 11th century, Canute the Great united Denmark, England, and Norway for almost 30 years with a Scandinavian army, though it would be Harald Hardrada several years later who would reconquer what Canute lost and create a lasting Scandinavian empire.

St. Ansgar is usually credited with introducing Christianity in Svithjod in 829, but the new religion did not fully replace paganism. During the 11th century, Christianity became the most prevalent religion, and from 1050 to 1066 Sweden was counted as a Christian nation.

Though Scandinavia was officially listed in the Reich’s histories as being a feudal state, feudalism never developed there as it did in the rest of Europe. The peasantry therefore remained largely a class of free farmers throughout most of Scandinavian history. Slavery (also called thralldom) was not common after unification, and what slavery there was tended to be driven out of existence by the temporary spread of Christianity and the later spread of reformed Norse, the difficulty in obtaining slaves from the lands east of the Baltic Sea, and by the development of cities before the 16th century. Indeed, both slavery and serfdom were abolished altogether by a decree of the Fylkir in 1335, after the Black Plague of 1303 reduced the population of the empire to the point where neither institution was practical. Former slaves tended to be absorbed into the peasantry, and some became laborers in the towns. Still, Scandinavia remained a poor and economically backward country in which barter was the means of exchange. For instance, the farmers of the province of Dalsland would transport their butter to the mining districts of Svithjod and exchange it there for iron, which they would then take to the coast and trade for fish, which they consumed, while the iron would be shipped abroad.

According to tradition, Harald Fairhair unified the people of Noregr into one in 872 after the Battle of Hafrsfjord in Stavanger, thus becoming the first king of a united Noregr. Harald's realm was mainly a South Noregr coastal state. Fairhair ruled with a strong hand, and according to the sagas many of his people left the country to live in Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and parts of Britannia and Hibernia. The modern-day Hibernian cities of Dublin, Limerick and Waterford were founded by Noregr settlers.

Norse traditions were temporarily replaced by Christian ones in the late 10th and early 11th centuries. This is largely attributed to the missionary kings Olav Tryggvasson and St. Olav. Haakon the Good was Norway's first Christian king, in the mid-10th century, though his attempt to introduce the religion was rejected. Born sometime in between 963–969, Olav Tryggvasson set off raiding in England with 390 ships. He attacked London during this raiding. Arriving back in Norway in 995, Olav landed in Moster. There he built a church which became the first Christian church ever built in Norway. From Moster, Olav sailed north to Trondheim where he was acclaimed King of Norway by the Eyrathing in 995.

Pagan Resurgence

In 1066, the Norwegian king Harald “Hardrada” af Yngling claimed the throne of England (held by the Anglo-Saxon Harold Godwinson), which was also contested by the Norman Duke William de Normandie. Joining forces with Godwinson’s brother Tostig, Hardrada raised an army and invaded the isles, meeting the Anglo-Saxon forces at Stamford Bridge on 25 September 1066. Being severely outnumbered by the Anglo-Saxon forces and fighting in a location where it was hard to supply his troops, Hardrada was initially pushed back, with his soldiers suffering heavy casualties. Sources on what exactly happened in the battle are scarce, and those that do exist are usually written after the establishment of the Scandinavian Empire or taken from the Book of Asgard (written by Hardrada himself) and thus are not accurate. According to these sources, Hardrada was reportedly killed in the battle by an arrow to the neck and then miraculously revived by an agent of Odin, prompting him and his troops to convert to Norse paganism, ultimately winning the battle and annihilating the entire Anglo-Saxon army aside from Godwinson himself. Hardrada marched on London and took the Anglo-Saxon nobility hostage, forcing Godwinson to surrender his crown and the other nobles to acknowledge his claim. When William de Normandie continued fighting and refused to stand down, Hardrada promptly attacked and destroyed his forces before turning the tables and invading Normandy, conquering the entire duchy in one short war. From Normandy, Scandinavia invaded the Kingdom of Leon and the Sultanate of Andalusia, conquering both. Under his son, Scandinavia reached its furthest extent, with the Fylkirate controlling territory in Hispania, Britannia, Caledonia, and Scandinavia proper. Canute's empire had been recreated, if only briefly.

Post Resurgence

The newly unified Reich launched two crusades and multiple holy wars against the Fylkirate over the next thirty years, pushing the Norse out of first Britannia and then Andalusia, followed by the Norman and Leonese holdings. As Scandinavia entered the late medieval period, it was reduced to just Scandinavia proper and some holdings along the Baltic coast (which were later lost to Lithuania and Russia). In the deadly centuries-long Commonwealth Wars, Scandinavia also lost Finland to Russia and parts of southern Denmark to the Reich. As the Fylkirate's powers waned into the 19th century, the country fell under the influence of various powers, including the Reich, Russia, and Yavdi. The only thing holding together the people of Scandinavia is their common Norse heritage, though even that is breaking apart as the Ragnaroker movement, a radical ultraconservative sect of the Norse faith, gains adherents who are disillusioned with the failures of the Fylkir to protect the faith.

---
So, it appears that I am going to be vacationing Central Europe after next Monday, so if I don't post the Russia update before then, don't expect another update until late July or early August at best.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Much less complicated than the Reich's or the Chinese Empire's, but still enjoyable. I hope you have fun on your vacation.

Chapter 231: The World in 1900 – The “Viking Caliphate" in the Modern World

Names

The Scandinavian Empire / The Norse Fylkirate / Scandinavia

Skandinavia

Norse Fylkirate

Skandinavien

Flag

370px-Flag_of_the_Kalmar_Union.svg.png

Coat of arms

150px-National_Coat_of_arms_of_Denmark_no_crown.svg.png

Motto

“For Odin and Harald Hardrada”

Anthem

“Commander of the Faithful”

Capital

Stockholm (official)

Copenhagen (winter residence)

Official language

Reformed Norse (Danish/Icelandic)

Old Norse

Other variants of Norse

Recognized regional languages

Old Swedish/Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, Icelandic

Religion

Reformed Norse pantheon

Government

Absolute theocratic monarchical Fylkirate

Fylkir/Emperor

1066-???: Harald Hardrada (Fylkir of Noregr)

Legislature/Advising body

Hogting

History

Consolidation (of various Scandinavian realms): c. 11th century

Establishment of Fylkirate: 1066

Unification of Scandinavia: 1070s

Kanatan Revolution: late 17th century

Maximist coup: 1848

Absolutism restored: 1860s

Currency

Kroner

Introduction

Scandinavia, officially the Norse Fylkirate or the Empire of Scandinavia, is a sovereign and unitary monarchy whose territory comprises the Scandinavian Peninsula plus Iceland, the island Jan Mayen, and the archipelago of Svalbard. Until the 1680s, the Fylkirate also included the island of Greenland.

The country shares a long eastern border with Russia and a short southern border with the Reich. Scandinavia has an extensive coastline, facing the North Atlantic Ocean, the Barents Sea, the Baltic Sea, and the North Sea.

In 1900, Fylkir Thorbjorn I of the House af Estrid is the current Emperor of Scandinavia. The Fylkirate is established as a merger of the Kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway and several other petty kingdoms. By the traditional count from the year 1066 the Fylkirate has existed continuously for 834 years, and the list of Scandinavian monarchs includes several dozen Fylkirs and emperors.

Scandinavia has both administrative and political subdivisions on two levels: counties and municipalities. The Sámi people have a certain amount of self-determination and influence over traditional territories through the Sámi Hogting, though with recent assimilation attempts their numbers have dwindled to the point that their culture is on the brink of extinction. Norway maintains close ties with Lithuania-Ruthenia and is hostile towards everybody else, though recently Yavdi and Russia have sent diplomats to normalize relations.

The country maintains a combination of market economy and a Nordic welfare model with basic universal health care and a comprehensive social security system, though with recent economic troubles it has had problems funding those programs. Scandinavia has extensive reserves of petroleum, natural gas, minerals, lumber, seafood, and fresh water. The petroleum industry accounts for around a quarter of the country's industry.

Etymology

Scandinavia and Scania (Skåne, the southernmost province of Svithjod) are considered to have the same etymology. Both terms are thought to go back to the Proto-Germanic compound *Skaðin-awjō, which appears later in Old English as Scedenig and in Old Norse as Skáney.[21] The earliest identified source for the name Scandinavia is Pliny the Elder's Natural History, dated to the first century CE.

Various references to the region can also be found in Pytheas, Pomponius Mela, Tacitus, Ptolemy, Procopius and Jordanes, usually in the form of Scandza. It is believed that the name used by Pliny may be of West Germanic origin, originally denoting Scania. According to some scholars, the Germanic stem can be reconstructed as *Skaðan- meaning "danger" or "damage" (Britannian scathing, German Schaden, Frisian schade). The second segment of the name has been reconstructed as *awjō, meaning "land on the water" or "island". The name Scandinavia would then mean "dangerous island", which is considered to refer to the treacherous sandbanks surrounding Scania. Skanör in Scania, with its long Falsterbo reef, has the same stem (skan) combined with -ör, which means "sandbanks".

In the reconstructed Germanic root *Skaðin-awjō (the edh represented in Latin by t or d), the first segment is sometimes considered more uncertain than the second segment. The Kanatan Heritage Dictionary derives the second segment from Proto-Indo-European *akwa-, "water", in the sense of "watery land".

The Old Norse goddess name Skaði, along with Sca(n)dinavia and Skáney, may be related to Gothic skadus, Anglo-Saxon sceadu, Old Saxon scado, and Old High German scato (meaning "shadow"). Scholar John McKinnell comments that this etymology suggests that the goddess Skaði may have once been a personification of the geographical region of Scandinavia or associated with the underworld.s

Pliny the Elder's descriptions

Pliny's descriptions of Scatinavia and surrounding areas are not always easy to decipher. Writing in the capacity of a Roman admiral, he introduces the northern region by declaring to his Roman readers that there are 23 islands "Romanis armis cognitae" ("known to Roman arms") in this area. According to Pliny, the "clarissima" ("most famous") of the region's islands is Scatinavia, of unknown size. There live the Hilleviones. The belief that Scandinavia was an island became widespread among classical authors during the first century and dominated descriptions of Scandinavia in classical texts during the centuries that followed.

Pliny begins his description of the route to Scatinavia by referring to the mountain of Saevo (mons Saevo ibi), the Codanus Bay (Codanus sinus) and the Cimbrian promontory. The geographical features have been identified in various ways; by some scholars "Saevo" is thought to be the mountainous Norwegian coast at the entrance to Skagerrak and the Cimbrian peninsula is thought to be Skagen, the north tip of Jutland, Denmark. As described, Saevo and Scatinavia can also be the same place.

Pliny mentions Scandinavia one more time: in Book VIII he says that the animal called achlis (given in the accusative, achlin, which is not Latin), was born on the island of Scandinavia. The animal grazes, has a big upper lip and some mythical attributes.

The name "Scandia", later used as a synonym for Scandinavia, also appears in Pliny's Naturalis Historia, but is used for a group of Northern European islands which he locates north of Britannia. "Scandia" thus does not appear to be denoting the island Scadinavia in Pliny's text. The idea that "Scadinavia" may have been one of the "Scandiae" islands was instead introduced by Ptolemy (c. 90 – c. 168 CE), a mathematician, geographer and astrologer of Aegyptus. He used the name "Skandia" for the biggest, most easterly of the three "Scandiai" islands, which according to him were all located east of Jutland.

Neither Pliny's nor Ptolemy's lists of Scandinavian tribes include the Suiones mentioned by Tacitus. Some early Scandinavian scholars of the Norse Hyperborean school and of the 19th-century state-sponsored romantic nationalism period proceeded to synthesize the different versions by inserting references to the Suiones, arguing that they must have been referred to in the original texts and obscured over time by spelling mistakes or various alterations.

Germanic reconstruction

The Latin names in Pliny's text gave rise to different forms in medieval Germanic texts. In Jordanes' history of the Goths (551) the form Scandza is the name used for their original home, separated by sea from the land of Europe (chapter 1, 4). Where Jordanes meant to locate this quasi-legendary island is still a hotly debated issue, both in scholarly discussions and in the nationalistic discourse of various European countries. The form Scadinavia as the original home of the Langobards appears in Paulus Diaconus' Historia Langobardorum; in other versions of Historia Langobardorum appear the forms Scadan, Scandanan, Scadanan and Scatenauge. Frankish sources used Sconaowe and Aethelweard, an Anglo-Saxon historian, used Scani. In Beowulf, the forms Scedenige and Scedeland are used, while the Alfredian translation of Orosius and Wulfstan's travel accounts used the Anglo-Saxon Sconeg.

Sami etymology

The earliest Sami yoik texts written down refer to the world as Skadesi-suolo (north-Sami) and Skađsuâl (east-Sami), meaning "Skaði's island.” Svennung considers the Sami name to have been introduced as a loan word from the North Germanic languages; "Skaði" is the giant stepmother of Freyr and Freyja in the Norse pantheon. It has been suggested that Skaði to some extent is modeled on a Sami woman. The name for Skade's father Thjazi is known in Sami as Čáhci, "the waterman", and her son with Odin, Saeming, can be interpreted as a descendent of Saam the Sami population. Older joik texts give evidence of the old Sami belief about living on an island and state that the wolf is known as suolu gievra, meaning "the strong one on the island." The Sami place name Sulliidčielbma means "the island's threshold" and Suoločielgi means "the island's back."

In recent substrate studies, Sami linguists have examined the initial cluster sk- in words used in Sami and concluded that sk- is a phonotactic structure of alien origin.

Other etymologies

Another possibility is that all or part of the segments of the name came from the Mesolithic people inhabiting the region. In modernity, Scandinavia is a peninsula, but between approximately 10,300 and 9,500 years ago, the southern part of Scandinavia was an island separated from the northern peninsula, with water exiting the Baltic Sea through the area where Stockholm is now located.

Some Basque scholars have presented the idea that the segment sk that appears in *Skaðinawjō is connected to the name for the Euzko peoples, akin to Basques, that populated Paleolithic Europe. According to some of these intellects, Scandinavian people share particular genetic markers with the Basque people.

History

Iron Age

Little has been found dating from the early Iron Age (the last 500 years BCE). The dead were cremated, and their graves contain few burial goods. During the first four centuries CE the people of Scandinavia were in contact with Roman-occupied Gaul. About 70 Roman bronze cauldrons, often used as burial urns, have been found. Contact with the civilized countries farther south brought a knowledge of runes; the oldest known Norse runic inscription dates from the 3rd century. At this time the amount of settled area in the country increased, a development that can be traced by coordinated studies of topography, archaeology, and place-names. The oldest root names, such as nes, vik, and bø ("cape," "bay," and "farm"), are of great antiquity, dating perhaps from the Bronze Age, whereas the earliest of the groups of compound names with the suffixes vin ("meadow") or heim ("settlement"), as in Bjorgvin or Saeheim, usually date from the 1st century CE.

Archaeologists first made the decision to divide the Iron Age of Northern Europe into distinct pre-Roman and Roman Iron Ages after Emil Vedel unearthed a number of Iron Age artifacts in 1866 on the island of Bornholm. They did not exhibit the same permeating Roman influence seen in most other artifacts from the early centuries AD, indicating that parts of northern Europe had not yet come into contact with the Romans at the beginning of the Iron Age.

Migration Age

The period in Scandinavia immediately after the destruction of the First Roman Empire by the Germanic tribes (5th century) is characterized by rich finds, including chieftains' graves containing magnificent weapons and gold objects. Hill forts were built on precipitous rocks for defense. Excavation has revealed stone foundations of farmhouses 18 to 27 meters long—one even 46 meters long—the roofs of which were supported on wooden posts. These houses were family homesteads where several generations lived together, with people and cattle under one roof.

These states were based on either clans or tribes (e.g., the Horder of Hordaland in western Scandinavia). By the 9th century each of these small states had things, or tings (local or regional assemblies), for negotiating and settling disputes. The thing meeting places, each eventually with a horg (open-air sanctuary) or a hov (temple; literally "hill"), were usually situated on the oldest and best farms, which belonged to the chieftains and wealthiest farmers. The regional things united to form even larger units: assemblies of deputy yeomen from several regions. In this way, the lagting (assemblies for negotiations and lawmaking) developed. The Gulating had its meeting place by Sognefjord and may have been the center of an aristocratic confederation along the western fjords and islands called the Gulatingslag. The Frostating was the assembly for the leaders in the Trondheimsfjord area; the earls Jarls of Lade, near Trondheim, seem to have enlarged the Frostatingslag by adding the coastland from Romsdalsfjord to the Lofoten Islands.

Viking Age

From the 8th century Scandinavia was the source of Vikings. The looting of the monastery at Lindisfarne in Northeast England in 793 by Norse has long been regarded as the event which marked the beginning of the Viking Age. This age was characterized by expansion and emigration by Viking seafarers. They colonized, raided, and traded in all parts of Europe. Viking explorers from Noregr first discovered Iceland by accident in the 9th century when heading for the Faroe Islands, and eventually came across and colonized Vinland briefly (the colony would be abandoned after a native slave raid destroyed the settlement; it is generally believed that captured Vikings from Vinland were instrumental in the rise of the Triple Alliance). The Vikings from Noregr were most active in the northern and western British Isles and eastern North Eimerica isles.

The Vikings from Danmark were most active in eastern and southern Britannia and Western Europe. They conquered and settled parts of Britannia (known as the Danelaw) under King Sweyn Forkbeard in 1013, and France where Danes and Norwegians founded Normandy with Rollo as duke. More Anglo-Saxon pence of this period have been found in Denmark than in England.

It is believed that Vikings from Svithjod and Gutar mainly travelled east and south, going to Finland, the Baltic countries, Russia, Ruthenia, the Black Sea and even as far as Baghdad. Their routes passed through the Dnieper south to Constantinople, on which they carried out numerous raids. The Second Roman Emperor Theophilos noticed their great skills in war, and invited them to serve as his personal bodyguard, known as the Varangian Guard, which still serves as the personal bodyguard of the Kaiser of Rome. The Swedish Vikings, called Rus’ are believed to be the founding fathers of Kievan Rus' and the Rurikovich dynasty which rules over Russia.

The actions of these Swedish Vikings are commemorated on many runestones in Svithjod, such as the Greece runestones and the Varangian runestones. There was also considerable participation in expeditions westwards, which are commemorated on stones such as the England runestones. The last major Swedish Viking expedition before unification appears to have been the ill-fated expedition of Ingvar the Far-Travelled to Serkland, the region south-east of the Caspian Sea. Its members are commemorated on the Ingvar runestones, none of which mentions any survivor. What happened to the crew is unknown, but it is believed that they died of sickness.

During the early stages of the Scandinavian Viking Age, Ystad in Scania and Paviken on Gotland were flourishing centers of trade. Remains of what is believed to have been a large market dating from 600–700 CE have been found in Ystad. In Paviken, an important center of trade in the Baltic region during the 9th and 10th century, remains have been found of a large Viking Age harbor with shipbuilding yards and handicraft industries. Between 800 and 1000, trade brought an abundance of silver to Gotland, and according to some scholars, the Gotlanders of this era hoarded more silver than the rest of the population of Scandinavia combined.

Temporary Christianization

As attested by the Jelling stones, the Danes were Christianized around 965 by Harald Bluetooth, the son of Gorm. It is believed that Denmark became Christian for political reasons so as not to get invaded by the rising Christian power in Europe, the Holy Roman Empire (one of the precursors of the Reich), which was an important trading area for the Danes prior to unification. In that case, Harald built six fortresses around Danmark called Trelleborg and built a further Danevirke. In the early 11th century, Canute the Great united Denmark, England, and Norway for almost 30 years with a Scandinavian army, though it would be Harald Hardrada several years later who would reconquer what Canute lost and create a lasting Scandinavian empire.

St. Ansgar is usually credited with introducing Christianity in Svithjod in 829, but the new religion did not fully replace paganism. During the 11th century, Christianity became the most prevalent religion, and from 1050 to 1066 Sweden was counted as a Christian nation.

Though Scandinavia was officially listed in the Reich’s histories as being a feudal state, feudalism never developed there as it did in the rest of Europe. The peasantry therefore remained largely a class of free farmers throughout most of Scandinavian history. Slavery (also called thralldom) was not common after unification, and what slavery there was tended to be driven out of existence by the temporary spread of Christianity and the later spread of reformed Norse, the difficulty in obtaining slaves from the lands east of the Baltic Sea, and by the development of cities before the 16th century. Indeed, both slavery and serfdom were abolished altogether by a decree of the Fylkir in 1335, after the Black Plague of 1303 reduced the population of the empire to the point where neither institution was practical. Former slaves tended to be absorbed into the peasantry, and some became laborers in the towns. Still, Scandinavia remained a poor and economically backward country in which barter was the means of exchange. For instance, the farmers of the province of Dalsland would transport their butter to the mining districts of Svithjod and exchange it there for iron, which they would then take to the coast and trade for fish, which they consumed, while the iron would be shipped abroad.

According to tradition, Harald Fairhair unified the people of Noregr into one in 872 after the Battle of Hafrsfjord in Stavanger, thus becoming the first king of a united Noregr. Harald's realm was mainly a South Noregr coastal state. Fairhair ruled with a strong hand, and according to the sagas many of his people left the country to live in Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and parts of Britannia and Hibernia. The modern-day Hibernian cities of Dublin, Limerick and Waterford were founded by Noregr settlers.

Norse traditions were temporarily replaced by Christian ones in the late 10th and early 11th centuries. This is largely attributed to the missionary kings Olav Tryggvasson and St. Olav. Haakon the Good was Norway's first Christian king, in the mid-10th century, though his attempt to introduce the religion was rejected. Born sometime in between 963–969, Olav Tryggvasson set off raiding in England with 390 ships. He attacked London during this raiding. Arriving back in Norway in 995, Olav landed in Moster. There he built a church which became the first Christian church ever built in Norway. From Moster, Olav sailed north to Trondheim where he was acclaimed King of Norway by the Eyrathing in 995.

Pagan Resurgence

In 1066, the Norwegian king Harald “Hardrada” af Yngling claimed the throne of England (held by the Anglo-Saxon Harold Godwinson), which was also contested by the Norman Duke William de Normandie. Joining forces with Godwinson’s brother Tostig, Hardrada raised an army and invaded the isles, meeting the Anglo-Saxon forces at Stamford Bridge on 25 September 1066. Being severely outnumbered by the Anglo-Saxon forces and fighting in a location where it was hard to supply his troops, Hardrada was initially pushed back, with his soldiers suffering heavy casualties. Sources on what exactly happened in the battle are scarce, and those that do exist are usually written after the establishment of the Scandinavian Empire or taken from the Book of Asgard (written by Hardrada himself) and thus are not accurate. According to these sources, Hardrada was reportedly killed in the battle by an arrow to the neck and then miraculously revived by an agent of Odin, prompting him and his troops to convert to Norse paganism, ultimately winning the battle and annihilating the entire Anglo-Saxon army aside from Godwinson himself. Hardrada marched on London and took the Anglo-Saxon nobility hostage, forcing Godwinson to surrender his crown and the other nobles to acknowledge his claim. When William de Normandie continued fighting and refused to stand down, Hardrada promptly attacked and destroyed his forces before turning the tables and invading Normandy, conquering the entire duchy in one short war. From Normandy, Scandinavia invaded the Kingdom of Leon and the Sultanate of Andalusia, conquering both. Under his son, Scandinavia reached its furthest extent, with the Fylkirate controlling territory in Hispania, Britannia, Caledonia, and Scandinavia proper. Canute's empire had been recreated, if only briefly.

Post Resurgence

The newly unified Reich launched two crusades and multiple holy wars against the Fylkirate over the next thirty years, pushing the Norse out of first Britannia and then Andalusia, followed by the Norman and Leonese holdings. As Scandinavia entered the late medieval period, it was reduced to just Scandinavia proper and some holdings along the Baltic coast (which were later lost to Lithuania and Russia). In the deadly centuries-long Commonwealth Wars, Scandinavia also lost Finland to Russia and parts of southern Denmark to the Reich. As the Fylkirate's powers waned into the 19th century, the country fell under the influence of various powers, including the Reich, Russia, and Yavdi. The only thing holding together the people of Scandinavia is their common Norse heritage, though even that is breaking apart as the Ragnaroker movement, a radical ultraconservative sect of the Norse faith, gains adherents who are disillusioned with the failures of the Fylkir to protect the faith.

---
So, it appears that I am going to be vacationing Central Europe after next Monday, so if I don't post the Russia update before then, don't expect another update until late July or early August at best.
Interesting to know about Norse history in Universe of this AAR!
P.S.:Is it possible for norse irredentism in Spain?

Interesting to know about Norse history in Universe of this AAR!
P.S.:Is it possible for norse irredentism in Spain?
Technically yes, but the Norse there are quite loyal to the Reich and would rather support Berlin than Stockholm.
Maybe I missed it somewhere, by why is it the Norse "Caliphate"?
Because reformed Norse paganism is closely based off of Islam just like reformed Slavic paganism is based off of Orthodox Christianity and reformed Romuva is based off of Catholicism (briefly). The Fylkir is the religious head of the Norse faith and is also a secular and political leader as well. He just happens to be the emperor of Scandinavia too. I was planning on doing an update about what exactly is reformed Norse paganism, but that will have to wait a bit.

Reactions: