• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm considering that, but I'm not sure what is Paradox's policy towards CKII converted mods or even how to upload the mod to Steam. Once that's cleared up the mod's already very well-developed.

Edit: and nobody comments on the Industrial Revolution beginning in Vietnam of all places?!
I'm pretty sure that Paradox is fine with mods based on saves converted from CK2 seeing as there are quite a few of them on the Steam Workshop.

I'm pretty sure that Paradox is fine with mods based on saves converted from CK2 seeing as there are quite a few of them on the Steam Workshop.
But isn't there a rule saying that you can't distribute mods based on certain Paradox products if you can't ensure that the people getting the mods have that product?

Edit: and nobody comments on the Industrial Revolution beginning in Vietnam of all places?!

I wouldn't even put that in the top five of weirdest changes in this version of history.

Then what are the five weirdest changes? Just wondering:D

Steampunk dragons, the HRE and the Reich becoming one empire, two banished people forming empires in a different continent (Song and Jin), a Lithuania-majority Commonwealth becoming the Baltic-Slavic Union, and citizens complaining about how accepting the strongest nation in the world is.

the HRE and the Reich becoming one empire
That's not that weird, it theoretically could have happened in the medieval period.

two banished people forming empires in a different continent (Song and Jin)
*cough* Gavin Menzies

Lithuania-majority Commonwealth becoming the Baltic-Slavic Union
All you need to do is boost the Lithuanian side and weaken the Polish side.

citizens complaining about how accepting the strongest nation in the world is.
It makes sense in the time period! Getting rid of anti-Semitism and other policies of tolerance don't mesh well with early modern European Christian societies.

Steampunk dragons
Okay, you got me. But that had limited impact on the timeline, while the Industrial Revolution had a much larger global impact.

Well, when we'll get a V2 part, and will it be interactive?

Well, when we'll get a V2 part, and will it be interactive?
I'm working on modding the V2 mod right now, and there's a lot of stuff to fix (*cough* province/state names), but it should be up in the next week or so at the current rate. Unfortunately, it likely won't be interactive as I don't have enough free time to manage an iAAR (this school year's been quite heavy on me) and don't feel like I can easily maintain order within the iAAR without a player's actions derailing either the fun and immersion of the iAAR or the course of the story I want to present. Maybe I'll reconsider when we reach HoI3 and use extremely limited interactivity in V2 (like allowing viewers to name/personalize characters for me to put in the story).

Edit: speaking of school year, I've got to head to class now.

Reactions:
That's not that weird, it theoretically could have happened in the medieval period.

*cough* Gavin Menzies

All you need to do is boost the Lithuanian side and weaken the Polish side.

It makes sense in the time period! Getting rid of anti-Semitism and other policies of tolerance don't mesh well with early modern European Christian societies.

Okay, you got me. But that had limited impact on the timeline, while the Industrial Revolution had a much larger global impact.
Menzies has been decried as a hack by pretty much every reputable historian. That isn't to say that the Chinese couldn't have colonized America or Australia, but using Menzies as a source is a mistake. Also, glad to see no IAAR, as they go far too slowly for my taste.

Menzies has been decried as a hack by pretty much every reputable historian. That isn't to say that the Chinese couldn't have colonized America or Australia, but using Menzies as a source is a mistake. Also, glad to see no IAAR, as they go far too slowly for my taste.
I wasn't trying to cite the source (I've read it myself, it's pure rubbish), but I was just trying to show that people have been discussing Chinese colonization of the Americas for a while now and it isn't all that weird to consider. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Chapter 156: An Imperial Century, Part 1

Palace of Potsdam, 31 December 1835

The guests had all arrived in the Hall of Mirrors. Metternich had successfully managed to invite every major European head of state along with as many dynatoi and aristoi as he possibly could. Sigismund noticed him in the corner, chatting about Nikephoros's military strategy with the aging Clausewitz, who was Minister of War. The Lithuanian King-Emperor Karol Ferdinand I Palemonaitis was in a heated argument with Fylkir Tyke II, who was trying to set up his prayer mat so he could do his evening prayers facing the Temple of Uppsala. The Tsar of Russia--Sigismund forgot his name again--was discussing the status of Finland with the Tsar of Yavdi--Sigismund also forgot his name--and wasn't getting that far. No Persians were invited. The Indian delegation was late to the party; a telegraph message received a few hours ago said that the Samrat Chakravartin's train broke down somewhere in Serbia.

"Your Imperial Highness!" said Martin Komnenodoukas, megas domestikos, "Care for another beer?"

He held up a glass of beer.

"I'm fine, thank you," said Sigismund, "What have you been up to?"

"Comparing war stories with Tacitus--poor guy got his legion absolutely wrecked by the Chinese emperor himself!"

"Well, yours was too."

"But I managed to besiege Nanjing itself!"

"I would summon Clausewitz to counter that, but he's busy right now."

"Your Highness!" said Andreas Doukas, the head of the Doukas family, "The Duke of Saxony is here!"

"Maximilian?" said Sigismund. "Metternich said he declined!"

"Well, he's at the door, so should I send a servant to let him in?" said Andreas.

"Ja, whatever," said Sigismund.

"Your Majesty!" shouted Theodoros Komnenos, head of the Komnenos family, "You need to see this!"

"What is it?" said Sigismund, slightly annoyed.

"The future!" said Theodoros, pulling out a book.

The book's title read, Forschung über die Auswirkungen der bei einigen entzündlichen Erkrankungen und die Wirkung von Brech- und Blasen in der Pneumonie Blutungen. It was by a man named Peter Karl Alexander Louis, a Gallic doctor.

"This man says bloodletting doesn't work!" Theodoros said, "You believe him?"

"I need time to read the book first." Sigismund took the book.

There was a sound from the other side of the room--something like a trumpet, but much deeper, louder, and more annoying.

"What in God's name is that monstrosity?" said Sigismund, pointing in the direction of Markos Palaiologos, who was holding some weird large musical instrument.

"That's what they call a 'tuba'," said Theodoros, "They've just patented it and would like to demonstrate it to you."

"Heavens no!"

There was a gunshot from down the hall.

"Hey!" shouted Sigismund, but nobody moved or ran. "Okay, what's going on here?"

"That was a gun invented by a man named Samuel Colt, a Neu Rhomanian," said Andreas. "He's right over there."

Sigismund looked to his left and saw a man holding a small pistol.

"He calls it a revolver," said Andreas, "It can fire a number of shots rapidly without reloading."

"Interesting," said Sigismund, "But I'm more interested in this 'analytical engine' Karl Babbage has proposed."

There was a tap on his shoulder at that point. "Sir," said the servant, "Maximilian wants to see you."

"Tell him I'll be right with him," replied Sigismund, and at that moment everything stopped--literally.

"What?" he said.

Nobody moved at all. People froze in the positions they were in, mouths still open and hands still raised. The water in the fountain nearby was absolutely still, in both the pool and in the air. The servant was still listening for his order, and Andreas and Theodoros were frozen mid-step.

Sigismund reached for his anti-angel dagger, but a voice behind him said, "That won't be necessary."

He turned around and saw the composer Frederic Chopin standing in the midst of the frozen scene, quite unfrozen.

"Okay, Chopin, so you've been possessed by an angel, that's why you write all of those crazy piano pieces, so are you here to kill me?" said Sigismund.

Chopin's eyes glowed white for a second. "It's me, Wilhelm," said Chopin, "I'm not here to kill you."

"Raphael impersonated Wilhelm to kill Friedrich Augustin III four hundred years ago," said Sigismund, "How do I know it's you?"

"Because if I wanted you dead, I would have done so already," said Wilhelm, "Also I know how to breach the anti-angel sigils you placed around the palace. Raphael doesn't know any of that."

"Okay, then, Wilhelm, what do you want?" said Sigismund.

"We need to talk," said Wilhelm, snapping his fingers.

Did Sigismund just dismiss the invention of the tuba, potentially stopping the instrument from ever catching on? He is the greatest Kaiser history will ever know.

Well then... You learn something every day.

I wasn't trying to cite the source (I've read it myself, it's pure rubbish), but I was just trying to show that people have been discussing Chinese colonization of the Americas for a while now and it isn't all that weird to consider. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.
Oh, okay. I agree that it was possible with a less isolationist China.

Chapter 157: An Imperial Century, Part 2

Sigismund felt sunlight on his skin and grass brushing against his legs. He looked around him and saw open sky stretching above him, not a ceiling in sight. He found himself in an open field, or what appeared to be a meadow surrounded by forest on three sides. On the fourth side the meadow sloped downwards and then terminated in a cliff.

“Please, make yourself comfortable.” Wilhelm was sitting down on a chair in front of a small table in the middle of the meadow. There was an empty chair facing Wilhelm.

Sigismund took a seat. To his left lay the cliff, and to his right lay the forest. Wilhelm, sitting opposite him, was calm—just as the family chronicles said he was.

“Where are we?” said Sigismund.

“In the hills south of Jinshan,” said Wilhelm, “Near some suburbs called Hongmu—Redwood. Nice view, isn’t it?”

The angel gestured to the cliff, and Sigismund saw the city of Jinshan and the Jinshan Bay in all of its majesty stretched out before him. He had never seen such a large bay before, much less such a grand city. Islands rose out of the waves in the middle of the bay, large and magnificent palaces built on top of them.

“Now, there’s a lot that we can discuss about the Jin Dynasty and Jinshan, but that’s not what I wanted to discuss with you,” said Wilhelm, “I take it you’ve read your family’s chronicles?”

“Every last bit of it,” said Sigismund, “From Friedrich the Great’s crusades to Saint Wilhelmina’s achievements to the Augustinian Code of 1444 to my father.”

“It’s been four hundred years since Friedrich Augustin III, your ancestor, first proposed the Augustinian Code to the Diet,” said Wilhelm, “I take it you know what happened to him.”

“Raphael,” said Sigismund, “He’s still out there, is he?”

“Unfortunately, yes,” said Wilhelm, “But he won’t bother you guys. You won’t be killed nine days after implementing the New Augustinian Code.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s time for us angels to withdraw from your world and let you guys run things,” Wilhelm explained, “We’ve meddled in your affairs long enough. I’ve seen the destruction we’ve made you cause to yourselves.”

“About time you realized,” said Sigismund, “It took you what? Four hundred years? And you guys all agreed to it?”

“Yes.”

“Even Raphael.”

“Yes.”

“How did you get him to listen?”

“Because I agreed to withdraw my direct support of your family.”

“What?”

“It was the only way I could get an agreement. Allof us have to return to Heaven and stay there for at least a hundred years. It’s the only way we got an agreement.”

Sigismund sighed. “I suppose that’s the price you have to pay for peace…”

“You know, I was there when Friedrich Augustin III enacted the Augustinian Code back in November of 1444,” Wilhelm said, “I see the same ambitions he had in you, the same desire to formalize and preserve the Reich’s institutions and policies for the future. But this time, things will be different. The next hundred years will see more change than the previous four centuries.”

“And that means…”

“The Commonwealth Wars. They’ve lasted for two hundred years from the rise of Lithuania and the establishment of the Commonwealth to the year that the Commonwealth was shattered beyond repair and Finland was partitioned. The people of all four nations involved in the Commonwealth Wars are tired of centuries of almost nonstop warfare. They’ve turned to the ideas of liberalism as the Maximists and your grandfather proposed.”

“But I thought I already covered most of those liberal ideals in my Augustinian Code reforms?”

“Not enough, apparently. Especially voting.”

“That is non-negotiable.”

“Exactly. So if you want to hold on to what you have now, you need to be ready for everything the Liberals throw at you and the government. And the Liberals won’t be the only ones. There will be more ideologies arising. People will be discontent with what they have. They’ll turn to these new ideologies; modernity comes with a cost. Progress will cause instability. I sincerely hope that when we return in a hundred years there’ll still be a Reich to argue over.”

“I hate to ask, but what happens in a hundred years?”

Wilhelm sighed. “I guess I’ll show you a quick glimpse.”

He snapped his fingers, and everything—table and all—vanished just as a white stag, an imperial eagle-shaped mark on its side, emerged from the forest.

Last edited:
A Lithuanian Revolution, then? Also, nice reverse Liberty Prime reference.
Judging by the amount of cores that Lithuania lost over the last couple hundred years, they would probably be the second country to go fascist.

I'm not that familiar with Fallout, what did I write that seemed like reverse Liberty Prime?

Edit: Oh I see. "Non-negotiable." I was more taking that from Margaret Thatcher than Fallout though.

Communism is going to be fun in this world. I sincerely hope it becomes the official government of one of the Great Powers. I'd love to see how the Reich deals with the Red Scare.