• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 107: The Eighth Laplandkrieg

"Do I smell HERESY????"
-An Inquisitor

"Do I smell CROSS-WORSHIPPERS???"
-A berserker

Despite the best efforts of the Inquisition, the ruthless crackdown on the Iconoclast and Purist movements only served to aid in its spread throughout the Reich and Neu Rhomania. The heretics of Charolais rose up against the government for a fourth time, and yet another legion was deployed to put them down.
2015-12-31_00080.jpg
2015-12-31_00081.jpg
In Neu Rhomania, the Inquisition wasn't having much more success. Many of the province's citizens, most of them in the southern and eastern themes, began to embrace the Purist heresy, disillusioned by the cruelty of the Inquisition and the viceroy who was turning a blind eye to them. Iconoclasm still continued to spread throughout the mainland, and even as overwhelming force was used to crush the Charolais rebels, the heresies were gaining more and more converts by the day.
2015-12-31_00082.jpg
2015-12-31_00085.jpg
2015-12-31_00086.jpg
2015-12-31_00088.jpg
Frederica Augusta began extensive overhauls of Bureau of Foreign Affairs, removing the restrictions on who could become a diplomat. Previously, merchants and traders were given priority in the diplomat application process over all other social classes. This priority was now removed, allowing more nobles to serve as diplomats. However, this reform of Foreign Affairs came at the expense of the Bureau of Trade and Naval Defense.
2015-12-31_00089.jpg
2015-12-31_00090.jpg
These reforms still failed to stop the spread of heresy. Having established themselves in Gallia, the heretics began sending their missionaries and ministers into Germania itself, threatening the spiritual welfare of the imperial heartland itself.
2015-12-31_00091.jpg
2015-12-31_00092.jpg
2015-12-31_00093.jpg
2015-12-31_00095.jpg
In the Eimericas, the Mexica took advantage of the Reich's withdrawal from maintaining order and status quo in the continent, launching a sneak attack on the Jin. Jaguar warriors marched all the way up to Jinshan, the capital of the Jin Dynasty, before Jin banner armies could push them back. By then, though, the military command had surrendered to the Huey-tlatoani rather than see the imperial capital fall to barbarians. The Alliance expanded into Chinese territories, with the Jin-Alliance border moved to within a few li of Jinshan itself. Upon hearing the news of such a devastating surrender, the emperor committed suicide and was succeeded by his daughter, Catherine. Empress Catherine I Wanyan's first order was to form alliances with other Eimerican native states and New Vinland with the goal of establishing a united coalition against the Mexica.
2015-12-31_00097.jpg
Alarmed by the number of conversions in Germania, the Inquisition began cracking down on the Iconoclasts and Purists in Gallia and Taurica. Ironically, one such target was the theme of Zaporozhye, where the Ecumenical Council had been held just four years ago. The people of Sich, now all heretics, took up arms and rebelled. The same thing occurred in Gallia and Carpathia-Dacia. The legions, which were running out of men, were sent to kill them all again, but that only increased the conversion rate again. Everything the Inquisition did served only to strengthen the heretics. But everything the Inquisition did not do would also serve to strengthen the heretics.
2015-12-31_00098.jpg
2015-12-31_00100.jpg
2015-12-31_00101.jpg
2015-12-31_00102.jpg
Though the legions were better equipped and better organized, the heretics had discipline and weren't as exhausted. At Nevers, a legion was utterly defeated in battle against heretics, with almost every cavalryman killed and the majority of the infantry hacked to pieces. The heretics escaped relatively unscathed. The same thing occurred in Zaporozhye, with the legions taking almost thirty thousand casualties.
2015-12-31_00103.jpg
2015-12-31_00105.jpg
With no government forces left to defend the region, Zaporozhye and Nevers fell to the heretics, becoming the first themes to be occupied by the Iconoclasts and heretics. New heretic administrations were installed. Government officials and clergy were dragged into the street and burned at the stake with Jews, Russians, and heathens. Churches were first vandalized, desecrated, and then razed; the universities and schools suffered the same fate. Bonfires where icons, crosses, and Bibles were thrown burned in the streets for weeks. The citizens were slaughtered mercilessly, and for years the economy of the two themes would be severely reduced in strength.
2015-12-31_00108.jpg
Despite these setbacks, Frederica Augusta simply ordered more legions to be sent in, withdrawing defensive forces from the Lithuanian and Danish fronts and sending them to liberate Nevers, Zaporozhye, and the city of Bihar. At Bihar, a legion under the command of Heinrich Beck managed to defeat a heretic army, although it took heavy casualties as usual. Almost twenty thousand men died. At the same time, another legion engaged the heretics in Nevers. Another twenty thousand men were lost, but the heretics were defeated again.
2015-12-31_00109.jpg
2015-12-31_00110.jpg
The Inquisition began more crackdowns, this time in Taurica. The heretic occupation of Zaporozhye boosted the credibility of the Purist heresy in the province, and the Inquisition decided that it had to contain Purism's spread in Taurica for good. As a result, the heretics of Taurica rebelled, occupying first the city of Yedishkul and then moving out to other provinces. The legions sent to destroy them were taking too long to arrive, due to poor communications with Berlin; the imperial capital was complete surrounded by heretic themes. The Inquisition, as a result, temporarily relocated its headquarters to Constantinople, a more defensible city and in a firmly Orthodox province, far from the heretics.
2015-12-31_00112.jpg
The Inquisition began cracking down not just on the heretics but also on Orthodox as well. The Reich's policies of innovation and free thinking had fostered an indifferent attitude towards Christianity, which the Inquisition believed was causing the heresies to spread so quickly. With the Kaiserin's permission, they began discouraging innovation and free thinking in certain fields, especially theology. Scholars were arrested on suspicion of being heretics or spreading heretical ideas, though they had much more lenient and non-invasive investigations and were less likely to be burned at the stake. In Asia, the Manchu Empire suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Shiba Shogunate, which retook several of its core territories and extracted a small indemnity which was used to fund the renovations of Shogun Yoshiatsu Shiba's castle in Nara.
2015-12-31_00113.jpg
The city of Ingil fell to the Purists in January of 1631. A series of horrifying and brutal purges began as the Purists began organizing their own Inquisition, which rounded up all non-Purists and gave them a choice: convert, or die. Most Orthodox did not convert and as such were brutally murdered or burned at the stake. Clergy were simply buried alive. Religious minorities were utterly eradicated; whole communities were burned alive in their own homes or places of worship. Government officials, scholars, and military personnel were dragged out of their residences and offices and forced into a nearby river, where Purist ministers baptized them in heresy. Many committed suicide as a result (the Eighth Ecumenical Council permitted suicide when a heresy or heathen faith was forced upon a Christian). Most scholars were dismembered and hacked to death by the mobs. By the end of the month, Ingil was majority Purist.
2015-12-31_00116.jpg
The Reich wasn't the only nation wracked by heretic uprisings. In February of that year, the first Iconoclast rebels rose up in the south of Neu Rhomania. The viceroy sent his legions to crush them, but it was clear that the heretic mob was far larger than any legion either the viceroy or the mainland had in the region.
2015-12-31_00117.jpg
At Neumark, the Reich managed to secure another victory over the heretics, though out of 37,000 men less than twenty thousand men survived. The Bureau of War began to notice that the manpower reserves had dropped to around nine hundred thousand men and continued to drop rapidly. In several months the reserves had lost another forty thousand men.
2015-12-31_00120.jpg
Despite the religious chaos, Frederica Augusta still found time to enjoy some music. She sponsored south German organ tradition, which was becoming quite popular in Germania. It allowed her to relax and unwind from ordering around the Inquisition and worrying about the heresies. This only served to reinforce her image in the heretics' mind as a decadent Christian, boosting their credibility among Orthodox even more.
2015-12-31_00126.jpg
On 21 September 1631, the Norse accepted peace with the Russians. The Reich had expected the Russians to be victorious, having occupied half of Lithuania. Because Berlin was surrounded by heretics, not all information was able to reach the Kaiserin, especially the fact that the Norse had occupied all of northern Russia. In the peace treaty, the Norse took no land. Instead, they forced the Tsar to "return" stolen Lithuanian land to its rightful owner, Lithuania. The small kingdom's power was restored slightly, at the expense of Russia. The Romans were shocked that they had been defeated yet again, despite Frederica Augusta's claims that only Russia had been defeated; more and more good Christians began converting to heresies, believing that their God had forsaken them in these dark times. The Lithuanians had gone from close to death to being a regional power again, and it was rumored that the Queen of Lithuania was making plans of further expansion into Russia...
2015-12-31_00128.jpg

These heretics are getting ridiculous. It's absurd how many rebels you're having to fight.

Also, Lithuania not only became stronger, but plans to fight the Russians? They were just a buffer state!

Chapter 108: War

Berlin, 1631 - just before the signing of the Treaty of Riga

Mansur looked up from his desk, noticing that both Werner and Friedrich were standing in front of him, waiting for orders.

“Oh, you’re both here,” said Mansur, “Now, there’s this peculiar case that I have for you guys."

He leaned back in his chair. "A couple weeks ago, a village in Poland reported being under attack from Lithuanian forces, despite our contacts saying no Lithuanian forces were nearby at that time. When backup arrived, most of the villagers were dead. The survivors said that they were under attack by Lithuanians the whole time. And some of the soldiers sent to check in on them never came back. One clergyman also said something about 'Michael's sword,' which as you know can defeat Lucifer...and the Lithuanians."

"So what do you want us to do?" asked Werner.

"Find out what's going on in that village, put a stop to it, and if it exists retrieve that sword before the Lithuanians do," said Mansur, "If the Lithuanians or Norse get their hands on the sword of archangel Michael, they'll be unstoppable."

"We'll do that," said Friedrich.

"Good. Now go."

Somewhere in Poland, morning, a couple weeks later
"Are you sure this is the right village? They all look the same to me," said Friedrich.

"Oh, so you want to read the map now?" Werner threw the map at him. "We are at the location specified by the bloody map, now shut up and watch out for heretics!"

They rode into the village, and nobody came out to greet them.

"Awfully quiet here, is it?" said Friedrich.

"Shut up."

"No you shut up!"

It was then that they noticed that a crowd had gathered around them. They were all peasants, but they wore Lithuanian symbols on their clothes.

"What is this, a joke or something?" said Friedrich.

"Uh, Friedrich, I don't think so..." replied Werner.

"Get the Lithuanians!" shouted one of the 'Lithuanians' in Lithuanian.

"Wait, since when were we Lithuanians?" retorted Werner. "I'm speaking German right now!"

"I'm the one speaking German, you're speaking Lithuanian!" said the man in Lithuanian.

The mob charged at them.

"Why does this always happen to us?!" screamed Friedrich.

"Don't complain, just run!" Werner spurred his horse and turned around, only for a well placed rock to trip the horse and send him sprawling.

"Oh come on!" said Friedrich.

Just then, several arrows flew out from the mob and hit Friedrich's horse. Friedrich quickly dismounted and sprinted off, rouding a corner.

"Wait for me! We still need to finish the feud!" Werner chased him, the crowd close behind.

Friedrich headed for the church, which was built of stone and would not be easily breached by the mob. He and Werner rushed inside and slammed the door shut. The crazed civilians pounded on the thick doors but made no progress. After about ten long minutes, the mob dispersed for good.

"Glad that's over." Werner said, turning around to face a priest. The Habsburg immediately recoiled in fear.

Overreacting, Friedrich drew his dagger and lunged at the man.

"Wait!" said the priest said. "I'm not Lithuanian!"

"Yeah, I can see that, but you still almost gave me a deadly scare," said Werner.

"Who are you? Why aren't you acting like the villagers?" demanded Friedrich.

"I don't know," said the priest, "I simply don't know. Everything was normal until a month ago, when everybody started accusing each other of being a Lithuanian. It got worse when everybody started speaking to each other in Lithuanian, except me. They left me alone because of that. Now they're out and about killing each other."

"You're the priest who told the soldiers about Michael's sword," said Werner, "Do you know where it is?"

"As a matter of fact, yeah," said the priest, "I hid it in one of the backrooms to keep it from falling into bad hands. Let me go get it."

The priest vanished into a side room.

Friedrich whispered, "That's not the priest."

"What do you mean?" said Werner. "I mean, he is the priest."

Friedrich picked up a ledger. "There was only one priest in this village. He was killed a month ago when the whole thing started. It says so in this ledger. Also, he's got a ring on. Looks like a wedding ring or something. The Poles...they have a tendency to hold on to beliefs from their old Slavic paganism and Catholic heresy."

"Then who in heaven is this man?"

"I don't know."

The priest returned. "Ah, it appears that I couldn't find the sword--"

Friedrich was already at his throat, dagger drawn. "Alright, who are you?!"

The priest simply smiled. "You really want to know? I'm War."

He raised his hands, and invisible forces slammed into Werner and Friedrich, propelling them back against the wall.

"Ha!" said War. "You thought I was just a mere mortal? Wrong, I'm a horseman of the Apocalypse! And I won't let two puny humans interfere with the Apocalypse!"

Werner drew his dagger and attempted to lunge at War, but the force prevented him from moving much, as if it were a strong wind. War continued to advance towards him, and he could see literal flames burning in the horseman's eyes.

War tapped Werner on the forehead, and images streamed through Werner's head. Carnage and fighting engulfed his vision, Russians and Lithuanians and Germans and Norse cutting down each other mercilessly and being cut down in turn. He heard the sounds of cannon booming as if he were next to the cannons and felt the cannonballs impact their target, instantly shredding poor soldiers to pieces and riddling more soldiers with shrapnel. He felt the pain of the dying and the wounded. He saw armies sack cities, putting civilians and peasants to the sword, violating every law in the Reich and in foreign nations, murdering and being murdered relentlessly. He saw the heretic uprisings all over the Reich being put down with impunity by both Inquisition and legion, anybody who was as much as suspected as being a heretic put to the sword or burned at the stake; he felt every decapitation, felt being buried alive, felt being burned alive. Was this what war was like? Why did the Inquisition do this to its own people and to those who couldn't defend themselves? Why did the Kaiserin do this to her own people? Why did the Reich do this? Why?

War suddenly screamed out as Friedrich lashed out with his dagger, cutting off the horseman's left hand. War's ring went flying and clattered to the ground. The horseman himself withdrew his right hand, allowing Werner to collapse to the ground, shell-shocked.

"What..." he gasped, clutching the stump of his right arm, "You cut off my ring."

He composed himself and laughed softly. "Well done," he said, "You've proven yourselves worthy of serving Heaven and Hell. Werner, there was no sword of Michael. You are the sword of Michael. You will be his vessel in the fight against Lucifer."

"I will never accept becoming a vessel!" said Werner, still shaking.

"You never know," said War, "Just as you never know when a war will begin or end. But one thing is for certain: just as war is inevitable, you will agree to become Michael's vessel in the end, no matter what you think now."

And War vanished, along with his severed hand.

Friedrich picked up the horseman's ring, the only thing that didn't vanish. "I think we're going to need this at some point," he said.

"Shut up."

Last edited:
One ring down, three to go. Werner just got a good look at why he might end up accepting to be the host, but Friedrich still hasn't been tempted.

Chapter 109: Conversion

"This is getting ridiculous."
-Mansur Shah Mukhtar, Head Inquisitor

"Purple would make a fine burial shroud."
-Frederica Augusta I

With the legions exhausted and running out of men quickly, the Purists began making gains. Most of Taurica fell under the heretics' control in the fall of 1631. Hundreds of citizens accused of being Jews or pagans were rounded up and systematically exterminated. The Purists rounded up any Orthodox Christians they could find and drowned them in the waters of the Crimea River, forcibly baptizing them in death. Through their efforts, the Purist minorities in thema Crimea became the majority. The Mercenary Legion was sent to liberate Crimea, but they arrived too late to stop the city from falling to the heretics. The fall of half of Taurica had many theological implications. The Ninth Ecumenical Council was held in Sich, Zaporozhye, which was now under heretic occupation. The Synod had also been held on the five hundred year anniversary of the Mending of the Schism by Saint Wilhelmina. Now that the heretics controlled the city in which the Council was held, might the Council's rulings be made illegitimate?
2015-12-31_00130.jpg
The increased investments into the Bureau of War allowed for some soldiers to stand out and become role models for all other Roman soldiers to follow. Luckily, they would not be tempted by the ambition that destroyed Bethune at the end of the previous century. However, after multiple defeats at the hands of the heretics, the Reich's neighbors began laughing and mocking the "strength" of the "legions." It was said that thousands of men ran away from the battlefield in terror after encountering the highly disciplined heretics. We shall not go through every battle against the heretic rebels in question, as that would take too long. Needless to say there were a lot of battles, and the legions were soundly defeated in many of them.
2015-12-31_00141.jpg
2015-12-31_00149.jpg
However, the Mercenary Legion finally arrived in Crimea in 1632 and immediately scattered the heretics, liberating the city in August, though there were still rebel armies roaming around Taurica. Hundreds of thousands of men had been killed on both sides, yet nobody was going to surrender anytime soon. The Kaiserin would never surrender to heretics that demanded her head on a pole like Bethune's. The heretics would not give up their faith and would die for their God. They continued proselytizing, and the city of Nuremberg embraced the Purist heresy. The city's Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen rulers were forced to flee to Berlin after mobs threatened their lives.
2015-12-31_00151.jpg
2015-12-31_00152.jpg
Frederica Augusta continued to invest in the nobility, granting them more privileges and guaranteeing their status and positions above regular citizens to help reduce the exhaustion that the heretic insurrections had caused. Meanwhile, the heretics rebelled in Altmark, threatening Berlin itself, and legions were immediately sent in to crush them. If Altmark fell, Berlin would be next.
2015-12-31_00162.jpg
To increase the strength of the Inquisition, Frederica Augusta ordered the establishment of Sunday schools for Christians, in order to drill the One True Christian Faith into Roman children's minds and hopefully get the children to turn in their heretic parents to the Inquisition. She also enacted sweeping military reforms to boost the legions' morale and help them better fight the heretic rebels.
2015-12-31_00165.jpg
2015-12-31_00166.jpg
The Battle of Altmark was a disaster for the legions, with twenty thousand men killed or captured. A backup legion was sent to save them from imminent destruction, but they arrived too late and were likewise destroyed. With no legions in the area capable of stopping them, the emboldened heretics marched on Berlin itself under the command of heresiarch Friedrich Augustin Ioseph, a devout minister turned general.
2015-12-31_00176.jpg
Frederica Augusta's advisors recommended that she and her government flee the city, which was only lightly defended, but the Kaiserin refused. Invoking the words of Basilissa Theodora I, wife of Basileus Iustinianos of the Greeks over a thousand years ago, she said, "Purple would make a fine burial shroud." The Mercenary Legion, having marched all the way back from Taurica under the command of Wolfram Wilhelm, promptly destroyed the heretic army, saving Berlin. Frederica Augusta, in gratitude, ordered that all noblemen be drafted for service in the legions or in the Bureau of War to develop more modern battle strategies and tactics.
2015-12-31_00183.jpg
2015-12-31_00195.jpg
The Inquisition continued to crack down on innovation and free thinking and its connection to heresy. The Kaiserin approved of such crackdowns, as it would increase the strength of the Inquisition and allow it to better fight the heretics.
2015-12-31_00198.jpg
On 4 January 1635, Wolfram Wilhelm assaulted the Purist stronghold of Nuremberg. Both sides took heavy casualties, but the Reich was ultimately victorious. In Neu Rhomania, the Iconoclasts rose up in revolt, inspired by the civil war going on in the mainland.
2015-12-31_00203.jpg
Advisor Wolfram Hermann developed a grand plan to increase the defensiveness of the imperial fortresses, making them harder to breach by the heretics. A week later, General Heinrich Beck was killed in battle against a heretic uprising.
2015-12-31_00209.jpg
2015-12-31_00210.jpg
In June of 1635, the Kingdom of Loango was fully integrated into Provincia Mittelafrika, its subjects accepted as equal citizens with other Romans. Almost immediately Frederica Augusta ordered that all able-bodied Kongolese men be drafted into the legions to fill up the manpower reserves, which had dropped to just over two hundred thousand men. By September, the reserves had dropped to about one hundred and forty thousand men, despite increased drafting efforts. That month, the Tran called the Reich to war against Lan Na-Ayutthaya, and Frederica Augusta accepted, though she only sent one fleet to assist the Vietnamese.
2015-12-31_00220.jpg
2015-12-31_00225.jpg
By October, the vast majority of Neu Rhomania's southern and eastern territories were overwhelmed. The Reich legions stationed there had been crushed and were in no shape to take on the heretics. The same was true of the colonial legions.
2015-12-31_00227.jpg
The civil war began to take its toll on the people. So many men were taken away for the legions that women and children were left alone to work on the fields. Disillusioned by the war, and that the manpower reserves were dropping so low but the heretics were still rising up, the families began thinking that the government was too careless at handling the rebels. Frederica Augusta responded by issuing tax relief to ease their burdens. Meanwhile, better fortifications were built in Italia.
2015-12-31_00229.jpg
2015-12-31_00232.jpg
2015-12-31_00237.jpg
The Reich's religious situation in 1636.

On 1 June 1636, the manpower reserves were fully depleted, and the Bureau of War panicked. The Kaiserin immediately began ordering mass recruitment of mercenaries to make up for the manpower shortage. In Asia, the Lan Na-Ayutthaya navy was defeated by the Roman trade fleet. That month, the Inquisition finally began to make gains, managing to convert several themes back to the True Faith.
2015-12-31_00241.jpg
2015-12-31_00242.jpg
2015-12-31_00243.jpg
2015-12-31_00244.jpg
A treasurer named Christiaan Huygens appeared at the court, and he was immediately hired to improve the economic situation. Cathedrals were built to increase religious unity, and bayonets were incorporated into the legions.
2015-12-31_00246.jpg
2015-12-31_00247.jpg
2015-12-31_00248.jpg
Tran made peace with Lan Na-Ayutthaya, extracting some concessions from the small kingdoms. But the most shocking news came from the west.
2015-12-31_00255.jpg
On 5 December 1636, the heretics marched into Neu Brandenburg, stormed the viceroy's palace, and forced him to convert to Iconoclasm at gunpoint. He, his family, and his entire government were forced into the Amazonas River and baptized simultaneously. A new Council of Iconoclasts, which took over all of the viceroy's powers, was set up to begin mass conversion of the province. The Popery Act was passed that day, likening patriarchs to the Catholic popes. Any Neu Rhomanian citizen was now legally obligated to arrest and kill any suspected Orthodox clergyman.

The Reich had lost.
2015-12-31_00259.jpg

Last edited:
Well... maybe it's time to switch religion? Let's abandon obscure Orthodoxy and choose modern Iconoclasm, like Neu Rhomania.:p

As I said before, this is getting ridiculous. Now one of your colonial nations has converted? You have enough wealth to hire an absurd amount of mercs, so I imagine you can still win this overall war... but it will affect the narrative. These Purists and Reformed Iconoclasm movements are showing the public that religious tension still exists in the Reich. I imagine the long-term damage will be that the Reich disallows some if not all other faiths.

As I said before, this is getting ridiculous. Now one of your colonial nations has converted? You have enough wealth to hire an absurd amount of mercs, so I imagine you can still win this overall war... but it will affect the narrative. These Purists and Reformed Iconoclasm movements are showing the public that religious tension still exists in the Reich. I imagine the long-term damage will be that the Reich disallows some if not all other faiths.
We shall never abandon the True Faith!

I checked the mercenary building screen a while back, and it appears I'm limited to a hard cap of 343 mercenary divisions. The only thing stopping me from mass building all of them is that it takes too long to build them, and rebel stacks can overrun them almost immediately after being raised, wasting my investment. And it would be a shame if Lithuania were to invade me right now...;)

Chapter 110: By a Thread

"Surely the Hohenzollerns won't notice..."
-A Hungarian separatist

"If the heretics continue to rebel at this pace, the fragile thread of tolerance holding together the Reich is going to be cut, and all Hell is going to break loose. Not like it hasn't already, though, but still..."
-Mansur Shah Mukhtar, Head Inquisitor

On 5 December 1638, the conversion of Viceroy Martin III von Berlichingen, his family, and entire government brought about the first ever Iconoclast administration, the first since the Iconoclast Controversy of the eighth century. Neu Rhomania was in shambles after what became known as the Iconoclast Revolution. Churches and cathedrals all over the province had been razed, their icons and paintings and Bibles burned in bonfires. Only the Marajo Cathedral, the oldest church in the Eimericas, was spared the looting and pillaging. Many Neu Rhomanians had been forcibly converted to Iconoclasm, with the last vestiges of Orthodoxy clinging on along the banks of the Amazonas, where most of the population resided; the Iconoclast themes, though on a map covering vast amounts of land, in reality only boasted minimal population levels.
The Council of Iconoclasts, which was now the de facto ruler of the province, implemented harsh Iconoclast-derived policies. The religious and cultural tolerance that the Orthodox had shown towards natives was immediately revoked. Ministers were sent to native villages to convert them to the true faith and to destroy their idols, while native children were abducted from their homes and taken to the cities, where they were forcibly educated in German and had their native culture repressed. Minorities lost their rights, and their businesses were confiscated and property given over to Iconoclasts. Clergymen and scholars were arrested and burned at the stake for heresy. The Council of Iconoclasts proclaimed that they would "bring civilization to the savages and to the motherland," though the majority of the Neu Rhomanians remained loyal to the Reich.
2015-12-31_00260.jpg
Inspired by the Iconoclast victory in Neu Rhomania, the heretics in Carpathia rebelled against the government. This rebellion was different from the others in that these rebels sought to revive an independent and Iconoclast Kingdom of Hungary. In order to do this, the Hungarians had to first recreate a national identity by renouncing the German culture which had been with them for centuries. The citizens of Bihar and Saboltsch quickly began to identify themselves as "Hungarians" and speak Hungarian, a long-dead language. Almost sixty thousand Hungarians took up arms and marched on Budapest, hoping to score a quick and decisive victory so that Frederica Augusta would be compelled to negotiate a peace.
2015-12-31_00264.jpg
2015-12-31_00265.jpg
Instead, Frederica Augusta offered that Hungarian be recognized as a cultural group and given official protection under the Augustinian Code, eliminating some of the Hungarian separatists' grievances. The Hungarian rebellion's momentum began to falter as the legions were sent in to destroy those who still did not surrender after such generous terms were granted.
2015-12-31_00266.jpg
The first legions were ill-organized and easily destroyed by the separatists, though that didn't matter, as an even larger legion immediately attacked the separatist forces and annihilated them.
2015-12-31_00268.jpg
2015-12-31_00269.jpg
2015-12-31_00272.jpg
The Hungarian rebels were defeated, and the rebellion's leaders were executed on charges of high treason. The citizens, though were spared the worst, simply given representation in the Diet. That resolved, Frederica Augusta turned back to the nobility, first noticing the death of Wolfram Wilhelm at the hands of heretic rebels. She then ordered that all noblemen over the age of fifteen be subject to mandatory conscription, though as officers and commanders. She hoped that this would boost the morale of her armies. Meanwhile, a Gallian mathematician named Descartes became well known when he began arguing, "How do you KNOW that ____ really is/does ___ and is not just Satan or a trick that your eyes play on you?" He was hired as a court philosopher who also doubled as an entertainer.
2015-12-31_00274.jpg
2015-12-31_00276.jpg
The Hungarians began to argue for more representative nation institutions, as no infrastructure had been laid out for them but had been for other cultural groups. Being a relatively new cultural group in the Reich, Frederica Augusta couldn't blame them. She granted them their institutions.
2015-12-31_00281.jpg
On 26 March 1638, Mansur Shah Mukhtar suffered a heart attack, brought on by news that the city of Yorkshire had appointed an antipope. The Anglo-Saxons of the city had abandoned the True Faith, but they didn't embrace a vile Iconoclast or Purist heresy. Even worse, they became Catholics. The Catholic heresy returned to menace the Reich after about four hundred years in the history books. As soon as he recovered, he ordered the entire Inquisition to be brought down on the unfortunate city to eradicate the Catholics permanently.
2015-12-31_00283.jpg
The next month, the Inquisition reported stunning successes in Hibernia and Gallia. After targeting cities and villages where the heretics' religious zeal had died out, they had succeeded in converting those areas back to the True Faith, though whether they would remain free of heresy was another thing.
2015-12-31_00287.jpg
Frederica Augusta began to sponsor a new form of music, known as "baroque," in the hopes that music would bring the Reich together in the dark years of heresy. Young musicians like Bach were sponsored and told to publish masterpieces which heretics would listen to and forget that they were heretics.
2015-12-31_00291.jpg
The music had the opposite effect, causing citizens to begin to doubt the theology of the Church and sample other religions, most of all the heresies. The Inquisition clamped down on this experimentation with impunity for probably the fifth time that century.
2015-12-31_00300.jpg
By November 1638, the Catholic scourge was back where it should be--in Hell. All of the former schismatics were either burned at the stake or convinced through "enhanced interrogation techniques" to convert back. But the Purist and Iconoclast heresies remained strong, so strong that they were now impeding communication between the provinces. The bulk of the heretics were confined to southern Gallia, Lothringen, west Germania, northern and western Carpathia-Dacia, Taurica, southern Caledonia, and most of Georgia. Miraculously, Italia, Hispania, Achaia, Thracia, Macedonia, Anatolia, Afrika, Mauretania, and the Holy Land remained free of the heretics. In addition, the viceroys of Mittagsland reported no heretic uprisings or even conversions within their realms. Sudafrika and Indonesia were also free of the heresies. And despite being heretics now, Neu Rhomania still sent treasure fleets to the mainland.
2015-12-31_00301.jpg
The same day that the Catholics were eliminated again, Frederica Augusta ordered that the draft implemented on the nobility and Kongolese be extended to all able-bodied men. A system of national conscription was implemented, making recruitment of regiments much faster.
2015-12-31_00302.jpg
In Asia, the Koreans began eating into the dying Manchu Empire. The Manchus, immobilized and paralyzed by internal factional feuding, reactionary attempts to sabotage their modernization efforts, and corrupt government officials, could not protect themselves against the encroaching Ming and Koreans, who extraced large concessions from them. The Jin watched the Manchu situation with interest.
2015-12-31_00313.jpg
On 8 July 1639, Frederica Augusta freed up enough time and resources to send diplomats to Neu Rhomania to convert the province back to the True Faith. In a letter to Viceroy Martin, she demanded his immediate conversion back to Orthodoxy. The viceroy, who had never really liked Iconoclasm to begin with, eagerly accepted and began rearming the colonial Inquisition, which had been dismantled by the Iconoclasts. He ordered the Council of Iconoclasts abolished. The Iconoclasts, predictably, were outraged at this and threatened a rebellion, which was quickly squashed when Frederica Augusta bribed all of the ringleaders (and then had them killed by the Inquisition).
2016-01-10_00012.jpg
2016-01-10_00013.jpg
The baroque music continued to cause citizens to deviate from Orthodoxy, and the Inquisition again cracked down on any heretical thought, though they didn't go after the music itself, for the vast majority of Inquisitors liked baroque music. In other news, there was a good harvest in 1640, and Stephanie Arndt, the descendant of the explore Heinrich Arndt, died of a fever.
2016-01-10_00045.jpg
2016-01-10_00051.jpg
2016-01-10_00054.jpg
In May of 1640, the Mutapa kingdom was utterly destroyed by the Indians, who annexed the entire state into their colonial empire, fulfilling Rudrani's ambitions. Now the continent was divided up between four empires: Mali, Abyssinia, India, and the Reich. Only Mali and Abyssinia were native African states.
2016-01-10_00055.jpg
In February of 1641, the Inquisition succeeded again in converting heretics in Gallia back to the True Faith. Boosted by this victory, the Inquisition started moving on to other themes, hoping that their gradual effortss would eliminate heresy for good.
2016-01-10_00068.jpg
Two months later, the Bureau of War began espousing a new strategy of overwhelming firepower. In this strategy, soldiers would line up and open fire on their targets with guns and artillery simultaneously, devastating the enemy lines, while the cavalry went in for the kill. Such military innovation was necessary, as with the manpower reserves empty the strategy of superior numbers was no longer efficient or even effective.
2016-01-10_00073.jpg
This new strategy was needed sooner than anybody expected. By August 1641, the thin thread that held together the Reich's religious and cultural minorities snapped, and the heretic rebellions boiled over into full-scale civil war. Trust became a luxury. Cooperation became unheard of. The rebel armies started acting more like professional armies, while the legions started to feel the effects of no reinforcements. The small and isolated rebellions were only the beginning.
2016-01-10_00084.jpg
Nobody expected this, not even the Inquisition. And the consequences would be bloody and chaotic for everybody involved, from the lowest citizen to the Kaiserin herself.

The Reich better not stomp out basque music. Bach is amazing...

Africa is officially divided between four empires, and I doubt India is satisfied with the current borders. The question is who they'll fight to expand.

The Wars of Religion in the Reich... that event sounds fun. Let's just hope that, when all is said and done, the heresies are gone and the Reich is whole.

The Reich better not stomp out basque music. Bach is amazing...

Africa is officially divided between four empires, and I doubt India is satisfied with the current borders. The question is who they'll fight to expand.

The Wars of Religion in the Reich... that event sounds fun. Let's just hope that, when all is said and done, the heresies are gone and the Reich is whole.
What is this basque music you speak of? The Basques are a protected minority living on the Hispanian-Gallian border.:p

Don't worry about the Wars of Religion. I'm only getting started...;)

What is this basque music you speak of? The Basques are a protected minority living on the Hispanian-Gallian border.:p

Don't worry about the Wars of Religion. I'm only getting started...;)

Woops. Well, you know what I meant. Besides, you just had a Hungarian revolt.

Chapter 111: Revelation

Friedrich woke up to the smell of something burning. He attempted to rush out of his bed, only to find he wasn't in bed. He stumbled around for the door to his room, only to find there was no door. He was outside, in a grassy meadow. Sunlight streamed down in his face.

"What the..." he muttered, "Where am I?"

The smell of the burning came from over a nearby hill. Curious, he walked up to the top of the hill, and looked down on a scene of pure devastation.

Berlin lay before him, in all of its imperial splendor--imperial splendor that hadn't been wiped off the face of the planet, that was. The city had been incinerated in some large inferno, with the inner buildings completely leveled and the outer buildings still smoldering. The streets were blackened with scorch marks, ashes, and the shadows of incinerated pedestrians, seared into the stone by the intense heat and light. Ash and rain rained down all over the ruined city, and in the skies over Berlin there was a black cloud shaped like a mushroom, pulsating with dark, snakelike, and demonic lightning. Friedrich saw no signs of life anywhere in sight, not even a body.

There was a rustling sound behind him, and he turned to see two small figures, clothed in ruined loincloths, their hair wild, their eyes red, and their backs bent forward. Their arms were outstretched with long fingers and even longer nails. If the barbarians had been men once, they weren't now.

The two barbarian brutes lunged at Friedrich, who desperately fumbled around his person for his dagger. Finding nothing, he simply ran, only to trip on a small rock and stumble on the ground. Just as the brutes got to him, he heard the sound of arrows zipping through the air, and the brutes cried out in pain. He heard the voices of men approaching, civilization coming back for him.

Somebody helped him to his feet. "Are you alright, comrade?" said the man.

"Why yes, thank you..." Friedrich began as he looked up at his rescuers.

Friedrich von Hohenzollern, though he was older and had a burn scar running over his right eye, looked back at him, also confused. "What the..."

"You're me," said Friedrich.

"No, you're me," said future Friedrich.

The other soldiers, wearing and bearing clothes and weapons ranging from farm clothes and pitchforks to legion-issued uniforms and flintlock muskets, simply looked on, awaiting orders.

"Fall back," said future Friedrich, "Get back to the base before night falls."

They headed away from the ruins of the capital.

In a village outside Potsdam
"So...what happened to Berlin?" said Friedrich, huddled close to an open fire in the middle of the village.

"It happened on the sixth of June, 1666 - several months ago," said future Friedrich, "I and some attendants and men at arms were journeying to Berlin from Potsdam for an audience with the Kaiserin. It was early morning, and it was barely past sunrise. Then all of a sudden we heard this loud scream, and some kind of a large metal arrow shot over us, leaving a trail of white smoke behind. Up ahead there was a bright flash and a roar. The light was so intense that those in my retinue who had looked directly at it were blinded. We continued on, until we were within sight of the city, and we saw it much as you did - ruined, destroyed, struck down by God. It was as if Berlin was a second Sodom and Gomorrah, so sinful that God rained down fire and brimstone upon it to punish the Reich. Only there were survivors. Hundreds of them. They came streaming out of the ruins, dozens at a time, from all walks of life—merchants, farmers, fishermen, soldiers, nobles, clergy, even dynatoi—all fleeing from the divine wrath that had been levied upon them. They were all hideously deformed, scarred and burned and disfigured by the heat and the light. Within days, they had begun to die painful deaths; so many died in those first few days that the priests, those that had survived, that is, were overwhelmed and could barely administer the last rites before they had to move on. We dared not touch them, for fear of being poisoned like they were.

“The few priests who had survived could not explain what had happened. The destruction of Berlin had been so sudden, so thorough…what had we done to deserve this? What had we done to deserve a fate like the destruction of the First and Second Temples and the Jewish exiles? Why us? Why not the heretics? Oh, yes, let me get to that.

“We lost the war against the heretics. Once word of Berlin’s destruction and the annihilation of the Kaiserin and her entire government got out, the provinces began to rebel. Heretics took whatever land they could take. Gallia was the first to secede, its Parliament beheading your second uncle, the viceroy-king. Britannia, Hibernia, and Caledonia were next; they simply seized control of the imperial navy and used it to blockade the islands, preventing anybody from the mainland from going in. Hispania followed, taking with it the Inquisition and redirecting it against the Norse, West Africans, and Jews. Italia, Greece, and Anatolia remained loyal to the new Kaiser Regent, Otto von Habsburg, who ruled in Vienna. Mauretania, Afrika, Aegyptus, and Israel-Arabia fell into anarchy and were overrun by the Persians, Malians, and Abyssinians. There are rumors that the Mexica have landed troops in Hibernia, Caledonia, Britannia, Gallia, Mauretania, and Hispania.

“Now Germania is where it gets complicated. The Kaiser Regent in Vienna only has enough legions to maintain control over southern Germany, and even then he is contemplating moving his government back to Constantinople. The western and northern regions are scraps of wasteland fought over by heretics, bandits, savages, and the occasional Norse and Lithuanian. The Norse have taken Pomerania and Hannover, while the Lithuanians took Poland, Prussia, and Taurica, with their queen proclaiming herself the ‘Queen-Empress’ of a new ‘Commonwealth.’ Everybody turned back to savagery and feudalism, abandoning everything that we had worked for.

"They say that it was God who did it, God who struck us down. All because I refused to become Lucifer's vessel."

"Wait, what?"

"You heard me, me. I said no to Lucifer."

"That I would expect."

"This is the result of me saying no to Lucifer. Werner had me kill him and resolve the feud rather than give in to Michael. Michael still took a vessel and then began smiting all of the sinners of the Reich. All of them. For every sin. To him, Berlin was the center of the sinning, a second Sodom and Gomorrah, because of Mansur Shah Mukhtar, the Head Inquisitor, was getting desperate in fighting the heretics. He's dead now, the same way Friedrich Augustin III was killed. Michael made Wilhelm go insane, so that he wouldn't go back in time again to stop the Apocalypse."

"So then what?" asked Friedrich. "We just wait out here for Michael to smite us?"

"Actually, that's the plan, well, most of it," said future Friedrich, "We've got reports that Michael is going to show up in a neighboring village tomorrow. He's an angel, and we're all armed with anti-angel weapons, so we're going to trap him and kill him."

"Sounds like a plan I would make. What would I do?"

"Me-me? I'll go in for the kill. You-me? You're with the backup guys, taking out anything he throws at us."

"I always hated having all of the most important parts..."

"Don't worry. I hate it too. But at least you don't have to go through it..."

The next day

The war party edged through the ruins of the small village, daggers drawn and bows and guns loaded. Friedrich and future Friedrich led the party, their eyes alert and looking out for signs of angel activity.

Friedrich heard something move from behind a house. He gestured to the house in question, and five men advanced on the derelict building, daggers ready to strike.

One man crouched next to the door and motioned to the others. On the count of three, he kicked down the door.

And was met by a wall of fire.

The explosion wiped out all five men and incinerated their bodies, leaving nothing to be buried. The rest of the war party scattered as other houses began to explode.

"It's a trap!" somebody shouted.

There was the sound of flapping wings, and a man screamed as a dark figure wearing a noble's outfit clamped a hand down on his face. The man's facial orifices burned with holy light, and in seconds the figure released the body, now charred beyond recognition.

Another soldier lunged at the figure, dagger ready to strike, but without turning the figure pointed at him, and he was propelled back into a still burning house, which promptly exploded again.

Several soldiers lashed out at the angel, but a bright light and deafening ringing noise emanated from the angel, and the men clutched their ears and dropped to their knees in pain as their eyeballs were incinerated in their sockets and angelic energy surged through their brains.

Future Friedrich charged at the angel, a look of desperation on his face. Not even bothering to move, the angel snapped his fingers, and future Friedrich exploded in a shower of blood.

It was over in seconds. The entire war party, except for Friedrich, lay dead at the angel's feet.

The angel turned towards Friedrich, revealing his face - Werner.

"Hello, Friedrich," said Michael in Werner's voice, "No matter what you do, this is how things will end up. This is what happens when you refuse to become Lucifer's vessel."

"I will never say yes," said Friedrich.

"Listen," said Michael, "You have a feud, I have a feud. Your feud is with my vessel. My feud is with Lucifer. So why don't we just get along and you answer the question? Say yes. You can stop all of this, bring heaven to earth, and both of us can resolve our feuds."

Friedrich attempted to speak again, but Michael cut him off.

"I don't need to hear your answer," said the archangel, "You need to go back to your time. You will have 25 years to get ready. I'll see you soon."

Friedrich found himself in his normal quarters, with Berlin still intact around him.

I don't even mind copying, I loved this episode. It's going to be an exciting 25 years...

Chapter 112: Civil War

"The Kaiserin can't protect us. She can't protect Christendom. She would rather give all of her love and support and protection to the Christ-killing money-loving Jews and to the pagans who denounce and refuse to acknowledge Jesus's divinity than to the faithful Christians who are being slaughtered in the thousands every day! I will put an end to this. I will put an end to the heretics. I will put an end to this madness!"
-Theodoros Doukas, Doux of Thracia

"We fight for God, they fight for God, what difference does it make? If everybody claims to be fighting for God, who's side is God really on? Does He even choose a side to begin with? Or is He genuinely concerned for Christendom and humanity? Where is He when you really need Him?"
-Mansur Shah Mukhtar

By the fall of 1641, it was getting increasingly more difficult for Berlin to maintain communications with the provinces, much less hold together the religious and cultural minorities that made up part of the Roman population. With the imperial capital surrounded on all sides by hostile heretic communities, the Inquisition began to take matters into its own hands. Mansur Shah Mukhtar ordered the assassination of Admiral Kasper von Koliny, who had assumed military, political, and spiritual command of the Iconoclast movement after Martin Luther's death. The Inquisitors sent to kill him were thwarted when von Koliny managed to kill them first, showing their heads to his followers as proof that he and they were blessed by God. Fearing that the Iconoclasts would seek retribution for this attempt on their leader's life, Viceroy Karl IX von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen obtained permission from the Kaiserin to take temporary command of the Gallic legions stationed in Berlin and launch a preemptive strike on any and all Iconoclast leaders currently residing in the capital. On 4 October 1641, Frederica Augusta issued Decree 67, which ordered the immediate execution or capture of no less than twenty prominent Iconoclast leaders and temporarily placed the Inquisition under Karl's command. Inquisitors and soldiers stormed all of the Iconoclast leaders' residences, killing and looting without mercy. Women and children were offered a chance to convert back to Orthodoxy on pain of immediate death. The men weren't given a choice; they were immediately put to the sword. Von Koliny's estate was blasted to rubble by cannon fire. His possessions were confiscated by the Church, and he himself, severely injured from the previous assassination attempt, was dragged from his bed and thrown out the window to his death.
Francois_Dubois_001.jpg

A depiction of von Koliny's death (center-right) and the accompanying violence, by a Swiss German painter, 1659. Notice the detail of the Kaiserin emerging from the walled building in the left rear, which did not occur in reality.

Spurred on by the Inquisition, which was eager to get all of the help it needed, the citizens of Berlin rioted and formed mobs in what became known as the "St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre" despite the actual St. Bartholomew's Day occurring on 23 August, hunting down anybody they suspected of being Iconoclasts. The riots soon spiraled out of control as the legions and Inquisitors sent to maintain order joined the mobs as well. Hundreds of citizens were killed and the cost of damages was in the thousands of ducats. Karl and local viceroys made an agreement the next week to prevent even more violence, but the riots soon spread to twelve other cities, where thousands of Iconoclasts and suspected Iconoclasts were also massacred.
2016-01-10_00089.jpg
News of the chaos in Berlin reverberated around the heretic communities in the Reich. Fearing for their lives, their zeal began to waver. As soon as the Inquisition arrived in a heretic community to proselytize, the zeal collapsed, and many converted back to the True Faith, though others took up arms to defend their heresy.
2016-01-10_00092.jpg
(I made some changes to this event, namely removing the religious zeal modifier so that I can actually win against the heretics.)

Others refused to give in to the Inquisition. They decided to take matters into their own hands to defend themselves against the Orthodox mobs. These heretics took up arms against the Reich, ready to massacre hundreds if not thousands of innocents and lay waste to whatever cities and villages they could get their hands on. Strangely enough, these new mobs weren't dominated by Iconoclasts or Purists but were made up by adherents to older heresies, like the Dukhobor heresy, whose followers rose up in Orleanais.
2016-01-10_00094.jpg
2016-01-10_00095.jpg
With no legions in the entirety of Gallia, Orleanais fell to the Dukhobor heretics within a month. The heretics began harsh persecutions of the Orthodox citizens, killing thousands of them and forcing the rest to flee. Vast amounts of property were burned down, and the armories and treasuries were looted. Outraged that the Reich was doing nothing to stop these long-dead heresies from rising from the dead, the Patriarch of Rome denounced the Inquisition and the government for its incompetence and its tolerant policies, which had just allowed the Purists to get their first foothold in Italia--Pisa. The Purists were against trade and merchants. When they took control of the trade hub, they burned down all corporate buildings and massacred every merchant they could find, associating them with Jews. The Inquisition immediately cracked down on the city's heretics, but Pisa's economy and Roman trade in the region would suffer for years.
2016-01-10_00098.jpg
2016-01-10_00099.jpg
With the loss of Pisa to the Purists and the heretics' hatred of trade and merchants, other merchants began to fear for their lives. This, coupled with the relaxation of restrictions on foreign traders, prompted them to leave their jobs and go into other businesses. They simply believed they could not continue trading while the heretics demanded their heads. The Berlin and Frankfurt stock exchanges almost crashed, and Roman trade came to a halt.
2016-01-10_00103.jpg
The Dukhobor heretics, having taking Orleanais, decided to march on Paris itself. A legion of 25,000 men engaged the heretic army on the fields outside of Paris, hoping that their large number of artillery would decimate the disorganized heretics. They were wrong.
2016-01-10_00106.jpg
The First Battle of Paris was a complete disaster for the Reich. The legion lost almost 20,000 men in the battle, not much compared to other battles in other parts of the Reich, but with the manpower reserves drained, it was a devastating loss. It took a second legion and six thousand more casualties to finally push the rebels out of Paris and disperse their army for good.
2016-01-10_00109.jpg
As if the situation wasn't bad enough, the Roman ambassador to Russia showed up at an important diplomatic event paranoid, constantly looking over his shoulder and randomly drawing his sword and shouting "The heretics are here! Save yourselves!" The ambassador was quickly sacked, sent off to a monastery, and replaced, but the damage was done. The Reich's neighbors refused to listen to other Roman diplomats' pleas for help in the civil war, preferring instead to laugh at the paranoid ambassador. Even India, Abyssinia, and Russia could not help but snicker.
2016-01-10_00112.jpg
The citizens were getting more and more angry at the government's incompetence at dealing with the heretics and the Kaiserin's insistence of tolerance over religious unity. On 2 September 1642, a disgruntled doux, Theodoros Doukas, formed the Orthodox League, an organization dedicated to defending the Church and Christendom against the heretics, though there were rumors that the League's ultimate goal was to help Doukas seize the throne. To keep Doukas loyal, Frederica Augusta officially gave her full support to the League.
2016-01-10_00118.jpg
A month later, the Kaiserin issued an edict to ban Doukas from entering Berlin, labeling him as "too dangerous" to deal with. In response, Doukas defied the edict and entered Berlin, followed by hundreds of his supporters. The Kaiserin ordered the deployment of the Varangians to disperse the League, but rumors spread that the Varangians were to arrest Doukas. The city's militias, which were loyal to Doukas, then barricaded the streets, preventing the Guard from getting anywhere. Despite the credible threat to her safety, Frederica Augusta refused to leave the city.
2016-01-10_00122.jpg
The results weren't pretty. Over fifty thousand rebels took up arms against her, all of them Orthodox Christians. They quickly engaged the legions stationed in the city and gained the upper hand.
2016-01-10_00123.jpg
Enraged at the League's treasonous activity, Frederica Augusta ordered the assassination of Doukas and his brother. Doukas's son was arrested by the Inquisition after Doukas and his brother were ambushed and killed by Varangians in a trap. The League, now outraged at the Kaiserin's "betrayal," declared war on the Kaiserin, which the Imperial Diet supported. The Diet brought criminal charges against her, and rebels rose up in Constantinople, Tergoviste, and Alexandria.
2016-01-10_00124.jpg
2016-01-10_00125.jpg
Alexandria fell in November of 1642, and the Berlin legions were overwhelmed. The heretics began laying siege to both imperial capitals simultaneously.
2016-01-10_00127.jpg
The Inquisition continued to crack down on innovation, while a more professional navy was established.
2016-01-10_00129.jpg
2016-01-10_00131.jpg
2016-01-10_00132.jpg
2016-01-10_00133.jpg
2016-01-10_00135.jpg
2016-01-10_00136.jpg
The city of Rosetta fell in February of 1643, and the fanatics killed all of the minorities they could find. There was nothing stopping them from marching straight to Jerusalem...or Mecca.
2016-01-10_00137.jpg
On 11 March 1643, Berlin fell to the rebels, and Frederica Augusta and her government was forced to flee to Vienna. Constantinople fell a month later, followed by Tirgoviste. Both capitals were subjected to weeks of looting and burning and massacring never before seen in the history of humanity.
2016-01-10_00138.jpg
2016-01-10_00140.jpg
2016-01-10_00141.jpg
The Kaiserin ordered more investments to be made in the army to combat the heretics.
2016-01-10_00143.jpg
But the heretics and fanatics wouldn't stop. They just wouldn't.
2016-01-10_00149.jpg
2016-01-10_00150.jpg
2016-01-10_00151.jpg