• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tommylotto

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Mar 5, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
THE FOX AND THE LION

“A prince being thus obliged to know well how to act as a beast must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from snares, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize snares, and a lion to frighten wolves. Those that wish to be only lions do not understand this.”

― Niccolò Machiavelli

Violin.jpeg

Months ago, I gave up on my Modded FtM Italian AAR, because I started it shortly after TFH came out. The changes to Hoi3 with TFH were significant -- the addition of armor, piercing and a revamped combined arms system. I found myself more interested in learning more about the new expansion and updating my mod for TFH then playing and writing an AAR for FtM. So, I let it die a quiet death.

That prior AAR was quite involved with lots of fancy images, and it can be read here. It is dead.

But it has been reborn.

My mod has been ported over to TFH. If you are interested, you can try it out here. Just put the “mod” folder into your “tfh” folder. Then launch the mod from the launcher. A bunch of stuff was added on 1/1/36. So, it is a good idea to run the game at the slowest speed for the very first game day. After that it should be pretty stable.*

I played this game trying to more or less replicate what happened in the prior AAR so that I could pick up the story more or less where I left off in a modded TFH game.

The first chapter will be a brief run down of events that have happened in this game to get to the approximate point of where the prior AAR left off.

* Believe it or not, I’m a Mac guy. I initially built the mod on the PC version running windows through bootcamp. It seemed to be working. Since the Mac version was released, however, my play testing has been on the Mac, but the files for the PC version have been kept up to date. So, no guarantees. YMMV

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Chapter One -- Decisions And Wars (1/1/36 - 5/20/38)
Chapter Two -- Seven Days in May (5/20/38 - 5/26/38)
Chapter Three -- A New War (5/20/38 - 6/1/38)
Chapter Four -- The Balkan Land War Grinds On (6/1/38 - 6/21/38)
Chapter Five -- The War At Sea (5/30/38 - 7/1/38)
Chapter Six -- The Road To Sofia and a Letter From Uncle Joe (6/20/38 - 7/10/38)
Chapter Seven -- A War On Many Fronts (6/7/38 - 8/5/38)

Last edited:
Chapter One -- Decisions And Wars (1/1/36 - 5/20/38)

On January 1, 1936, Mussolini was feeling international pressure to set forth his intentions with respect to Abyssinia. The West, with its vested interests in the status quo, wanted Italy to make peace. The Fascist council had their blood up for war and the expansion of Italy’s colonies in East Africa. Mussolini needed to prosecute the war for internal consumption, but wanted to avoid alienating the West (at least until it suited his purposes). So, he sought a middle ground. The war must continue and Italian arms redeemed, but Abyssinia would be liberated, not conquered.

1_1_36_0%20Abyssinia.jpg

[Italy is presented with a decision concerning Abyssinia. If they offer peace, threat is reduced and relations with the West is improved. If Italy expands the empire, threat shoots up and relations with the West craters. If Italy decides to liberate the Abyssinians, there is suspicion. Threat and relations are harmed but not destroyed, and the damage can be undone if Ethiopia is actually released.]

Mussolini decided to liberate the Abyssinians from the Negus.

1_1_36_0%20Ship%20Building.jpg

On January 1, 1936, Mussolini was also presented with the decision as to what to do with the four battleships currently under construction or modernization. He could either scrap the projects for the metal or continue construction. He was initially inclined to continue construction so that the Regia Marina could have the battleships necessary to make it a first class international navy. However, he was presented with a third, much more controversial, option by gifted Admiral Giuseppe Fioravanzo -- these capital ships could be converted into aircraft carriers. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, Italian military and political circles vigorously debated the role and necessity of aircraft carriers in the expanding Italian fleet. Men such as Gino Ducci (Regia Marina chief of staff in the early 1920s), Romeo Bernotti (assistant chief of staff) championed the development of a fleet air arm, the building of aircraft carriers and consolidation of the air and naval academies. Building on their work, Admiral Fioravanzo, in his numerous articles in Rivista Marittima (Maritime Magazine) made a persuasive case that carrier borne aircraft would dominate the future of naval warfare. The Regia Marina had already made some initial experiments in this direction when in 1927 it commissioned the twin-catapult-equipped seaplane tender RN Giuseppe Miraglia. However, there were numerous naysayers and others with entrenched interests in the status quo. Nevertheless, Mussolini was impressed with Fioravanzo’s vision.

In the end, Mussolini compromised between these two competing visions. The reconstruction of the two older battleships, the RN Giulio Cesare and the RN Conte di Cavour, would continue as initially planned. However, the more modern vessels, the partially built RN Littorio and RN Vittorio Vento, would both be wholly redesigned and converted into aircraft carriers projects (CV level I). This decision would have a significant impact on the Italian economy as the Italian shipyards had no real experience in making carriers. This relative inexperience in carrier construction would cause this project to be very expensive and time-consuming, plus the specialized air wings for these ships would also need to be constructed. This decision would dominate the nation’s industrial capacity for the next two years.

12_3_36%20Liberate%20Abyssinia.jpg

Over the course of 1936, Ethiopia was conquered in due course. In December of that same year, Mussolini was reminded of his promise to liberate, not conquer the Abyssinians. So, he finally needed to decide whether to set up a nominally independent government or whether to officially annex the territory as part of the Italian Empire. Since East Africa was only defensible once the Mediterranean was secure (and it was not yet secure), Mussolini decided to release Ethiopia as a puppet government and pull out the vast majority of Italian forces from the area. [The tooltip is incorrect, it says Ethiopia would no longer be a puppet, but actually it will be released as a puppet.]

Over the course of 1937, the aircraft carrier projects continued to dominated Italian industrial capacity. However, Italy was also able to raise 14 CCNN legions of fascist militia, equip a few support regiments with infantry tanks, motorized a few artillery regiments with trucks to pull their pieces. Even a few Semovente tank destroyer regiments were raised. Then the entire Regio Esercito was reorganized to create fewer more powerful divisions.

Division%20Types.jpg

The Opera Volantario per la Regressione Dell’ Antifasismo (OVRA) was also busy but without impressive results. Fascist agents were sent to France and Great Britain with instructions to steal military technologies and doctrines. Plans for the formation of mounted colonial militia were discovered, as were techniques to improve cavalry regiments into motorized reconnaissance regiments. Designs for a battlecruiser engine and destroyer armor were also purloined, but all in all, the investment in additional agents was not worth the reward.

1_5_38%20CTF.jpg

In January of 1938, the RN Littorio and RN Vittorio Vento were finally launched and formed with the Regia Marina’s most advanced light cruisers into an Unita Operativa dei Portaerei or aircraft carrier task force. The specialized planes built for these ships were larger twin engine naval carrier planes. These robust twin-engine fighter dive-bombers were designed by Giovanni Galasso and built by Industrie Meccaniche e Aeronautiche Meridionali (IMAM) and was designated the Ro.53.

IMAM%20Ro..jpg

This photograph is of an earlier prototype and is without the Ro.53 production model’s collapsable wings and cable hook​

Compared to the carrier planes fielded by other major nations, the Ro.53’s were less capable in air to air combat but carried a heavier payload on their air-to-ship attacks. Mussolini was impressed with the promise of force projection that these ships seemed to offer. So, when it came time to decide what to do with the old battleships, RN Andrea Doria and RN Ciao Duilio, Mussolini did not hesitate and ordered them converted to carriers also. The Italian shipyards had learned much from the first conversions and these subsequent conversions were dramatically less expensive and went much faster.

3_11_38%20Attack%20Yugo.jpg

On March 11, 1938, Italy attacked across the Yugoslav border with 20 divisions -- 4 Alpini divisions and 16 infantry tank supported infantry divisions. These attacks were soon followed up by an amphibious assault by the IX Sbarco e d’Assalto Corps along the Dalmatian coast. The French diplomats worked out a scheme to avoid getting entangled in this war while still getting Mussolini to stop his aggression -- they convinced the other Balkan nations (Greece, Romania and Bulgaria) to reform the Balkan League to stop the dictator.

3_17_38%20Balkan%20League.jpg

Mussolini rejected the ultimatum of the Balkan League and continued his war on Yugoslavia. The League members reluctantly and half-heartedly complied with their new treaty obligations and declared war on Italy. The Italian armies, partially spearheaded by fanatical fascist CCNN divisions, relentlessly drove towards Belgrade. Mussolini had invested a great deal of leadership into these fascist militia legions, importing training officers and methods from the regular military with an eye towards improving these undisciplined fascist fanatics in fancy uniforms into legitimate soldiers.

3_18_38%20Fascist%20Militarization.jpg

[Italy starts off at Fascist Militia Militarization level 1, but in this game, by March of 1938, it had researched level 4. The CCNN were still far inferior to regular infantry, but were also superior to ordinary militia. Furthermore, level 4 permits research into regular loyalist infantry, motorized, mechanized and armor divisions (similar to German SS divisions).]

Fighting all four Balkan nations at once, Italy found its divisions in theater markedly outnumbered.

Bulgaria%20OOB.jpg

Bulgaria’s starting order of battle and leader pool have been enhanced (like all the other Balkan nations) to make them a much more difficult opponent.​

Nevertheless, by April 22, 1938, over half of all Yugoslav territory had fallen into Italian hands.

4_22_38%20Yugo%20Status.jpg

The threat to French honor was unmistakable. The French diplomats issued their own ultimatum, demanding Mussolini stop his aggression and settle on renegotiated borders. (Italy was offered most of the Dalmatian coast.) However, the war had gone to far. Mussolini rejected the French ultimatum, as he doubted they would follow through with their threat. He presumed that the French would be too worried (and for good reason) about Germany to get involved in a war with Italy at this time.

Mussolini was right, the French military planners knew that they had their hands full with the rearming Germany on the other side of the Rhine. In the end, however, the pride of the diplomats prevailed, and France surprisingly followed through with its threat. It declared war.

4_22_38%20War%20With%20France.jpg

The British, who had hoped to recruit Italy in its alliance against Germany, were aghast when hostilities broke out. They considered French intervention in the Balkan war an unnecessary offensive action and remained neutral.

5_12_38%20Seige%20Belgrade.jpg

By May 12, 1938, Belgrade was under siege, and the French had built up impressive forces along the Italian border, but as of yet made no major assault.

5_17_38%20French%20Border.jpg

On May 20, 1938, Belgrade fell and Yugoslavia was knocked out of the war.

The other Balkan nations, Greece, Bulgaria and Romania, had given their Yugoslav ally only scant assistance during the two month struggle, but now that Yugoslavia was no more, the other Balkan nations (particularly Greece and Bulgaria), like carrion crows, moved their armies into the vacuum created by the fall of the former nation in an effort to share in the spoils. The numerous Greek mountain divisions were particularly threatening as they surged north along the Albanian eastern border.

HELL YEAH !!!!

-
red_KLG, your devoted fan !!!!

How much time did you spent modding? :eek: It looks quite impressive.

Very happy to see this revived. I read and loved the first interation of this and was bummed it died but I can understand why. I actually played your mod and I got toward 1938 and the US had joined the allies who had declared war on every non allied or axis nation. Was interesting to play though but I stopped at 39. Eager to see the new mod in the new expansion. Good luck this time though in the Balkans.

Seems interesting. I love when people play as Italy, because it's such an underdog story.

Great work. The pictures work very well with the narrative and the narrative pulls the reader along. This looks like it could be a classic. I can't wait for the next instalment.

It's alive! I was a quiet follower of your first version of this and I really loved all the pictures, especially the Mussolini ones. It's great to see that it's back. I wish Italy success on her arduous road to greatness.

Very good.
Might I ask how different from FtM is to do an amphibious landing in Albania? Are you still able to land INF or MIL without LCVs or you must research it at any cost?
Because I found that in FtM Vanilla was very easy to conquer the Balkans with a couple of strategic landing, and as you say that now the Balkans are a better enemy, they should be very useful to create entrapments.

Chapter 2 -- Seven Days in May (5/20/38 - 5/26/38)

Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage.

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

Chapter 2 -- Seven Days in May (5/20/38 - 5/26/38)

Upon the fall of Yugoslavia, there was no time for celebration. Due to the build up of French forces on the French-Italian border, two infantry corps, including the Alpini Corps were taken out of the Balkan war and rushed to the French frontier. Meanwhile, a vacuum had been created between the furthest advance of the Italian lines and the old borders of Yugoslavia with its former Balkan neighbors. The other Balkan nations quickly moved to fill that vacuum by advancing into former Yugoslav territory that they now claimed as their own. Comando Superiore immediate issued orders to seize control of as much of that territory as possible and to establish defensible lines. The CCNN divisions that had been fighting the Yugoslavs along the Drin were transported by rail to the south to stop the advance of the Greeks. They would not arrive in time to save Skopje from falling to the Greeks, but a defensive line was established from Tetovo to Kumanovo then north along the western bank of the Morava river.

In Tetovo, the Spanish veterans of the Penne Nere, Fiamme Nere and Dio lo Vuole CCNN divisions under the leadership Gen. Giuseppe Musinu were fresh and dug into stout defensive positions in the mountainous terrain. At the same time, CCNN divisions 1a XXII Marzo, 2a XXVIII Ottobre, 3a XXI Aprile, 4a III Gennaio, and 5a I Febbraio all under the joint command Gen. Domenico Siciliani were transported to Kumanovo. The first and fifth CCNN divisions were relatively fresh, but the second, third and fourth were nearly warn out from prior combat and in need of some rest.

5_20_38%20Kumanovo.jpg

At 1100 hours on 20 May, the 5 CCNN divisions in Kumanovo were attacked by the 9th Bulgarian infantry division led by Gen. Vasil Tsankov Balarev out of Stip.

5_20_38_11%20Tetovo.jpg

Also on 20 May, 1938, the Spanish veterans in Tetovo were attacked by the Greek mountaineers of II and XI Stratiotis Merarkhia out of Gostivar under Gen. Panagiotis Demestihas.

5_20_38_11%20Medveda.jpg

To the immediate north in Medveda the weary 2a Celere Emanuele Filiberto Testa di Ferro under Gen. Vito Ferroni was trying to hold onto the west bank of the Morava River against attacks from the 4th and 8th Bulgarian infantry divisions under Gen. Aleksiev from Surdulica and Nis.

5_20_38_24%20Medveda.jpg

The 2a Celere would not be able to hold the river crossing, but the 1a Celere Eugenio di Savoia was on its way, and 12 hours later near midnight the 1a Celere appeared on scene and joined the battle. The Bulgarian forces immediately stopped the river crossing and both sides began to lick their wounds.

5_22_38_23%20Krusevac.jpg

To the north of Medveda, the motorized 10a Piave under Gen. Giuseppe Asinari-Rossillon had rapidly made it across the Morava river into Krusevac. However, on 22 May, 1938 their advance was stopped when they found themselves confronted by a large concentration of Bulgarian forces, and soon they were on the defensive when at midnight on 23 May they were attacked by the 2nd, 5th and 14th Bulgarian infantry divisions under Gen. Konstantin Ivanov Bekyarov.

5_23_38_7%20Boljevac.jpg

The next morning at 0700 23 May, Gen. Aldo Aymonino ordered an attack in an effort to relieve the hard pressed 10a Piave. The 7a CCNN Cirene in Cuprija and the 9a Pasubio in Petovac launched an attack against Boljevac from where the 14th Bulgarian Infantry division had been pressing south against Krusevac. However, Gen. Bekyarov had brought up some heavy coastal artillery from Varna to slow the counter-attack, and the 14th was able to continue its assault on Medveda.

5_23_38_7%20Tetovo%20In%20Trouble.jpg

Meanwhile, down south things were getting critical. The five CCNN divisions in Kumanovo seemed to have beaten back the Bulgarians, at least for the moment. However, in Tetovo the Spanish veterans were getting man-handled by the Greek mountaineers. Gen. Demestihas added a third infantry division -- the VII Stratiotis Merarkhia -- to the fight, tipping the scales. In the rugged terrain, the Greeks moved like goats and were steadily positioning themselves on seemingly inaccessible mountain summits. Soon the Italian positions would become untenable. The 5a I Febbraio in Kumanovo was dispatched to Tetovo, but it looked like it would be too little, to late. With the loss of Tetovo, the Greek front would crumble.

Greek%20Mortar.jpg

Nimble Greek mountain soldiers from XI Stratiotis Merarkhia direct mortar fire from an advantageous position.

________________________________​

However, the Italian nation was a major power, with a major power's navy. It was not limited to fighting over inches, feet and yards of mountainous patches of dirt. Rather, it could move with celerity and project force by sea, just as Pericles might have suggested. And that is exactly what Italy planned to do. As soon as Yugoslavia fell, the IX Corps -- the Sbarco e d’Assalto corps that had spearheaded the invasion of the Dalmatian coast -- was transported in secret to the naval base at Dubrovnik. There they were met by the the First Transport Flotilla. The light infantry was loaded into the transports, and during the late night of 23 May the fleet silently slipped out to sea.

Invasion%20Fleet.jpg

By the fortunes of war, the French navy was at the same time moving 3 squadrons of submarines into the Adriatic on a convoy raiding mission. The French subs stumbled upon the troopship and began to attack. However, the precious Italian cargo was well defended and 6 light cruisers and 9 destroyer divisions swarmed the submarines. Vastly outnumbered, the French subs attempted to disengage and dive, but it was too late. The destroyers were in their midsts, sinking subs left and right.

The encounter was a clear Italian victory and the sub squadrons were destroyed, but had word gotten back to the French naval headquarters concerning the movements of the Italian invasion fleet? Regardless, the troopship continued and rendezvoused with the Italian capital ships off of the Peloponnese coastline.

Invasion%20Landing.jpg

By 1800 May 24, the ships were in place and the invasion commenced. The initial objective was the Peloponnese port city of Patra. Submarine patrols had indicated that the port was defended by a Greek garrison division. This port was to be directly assaulted by Raggruppamento Rombola, an ad hoc unit of division size put together with special naval landing forces, including the commandos of Decima MAS, as well as two regiments of Italian light infantry under Gen. Antonio Rombola.

Marines.jpeg

Decima MAS Commandos: The elite of the elite

To the south, the 3a Divisione Coloniale Eritreo supplemented to 4 light infantry regiments under Gen. Francesco Armellini was to land in Meligalas. Then, while the forces in Petra were occupied by the assault of Raggruppamento Rombola, troopships were to slip into the Gulf of Corinth. The 1a Divisione Coloniale Libica, also 4 regiments strong, under Gen. Italo Caracciolo, would land at Korinthos, while the 26a Assietta under Gen. Emanule Girlando was assigned Nafplio and the Isthmus towards Athens. Finally, corps commander Gen. Vincenzo Tessitore would land with the IX Corps headquarters along with 52 Reggimento di Fanteria Alpi on the island of Cephalonia.

5_25_38%20Kumanovo.jpg

While the invasion of the Peloponnese commenced, the situation in Yugoslavia went from bad to worse. On 25 May, Kumanovo was attacked by Bulgarian and Greek forces working in coordination under Bulgarian Gen. Theodosi Petrov Daskalov. The 7th Bulgarian division in Surdulica, the 1st Bulgaria division in Stip, and the VII and IX Stratiotis Merarkhia in Skopje converged on the weary CCNN divisions in Kumanovo. The 5a I Febbraio, which had been dispatched to Tetovo to relieve the hard pressed Spanish veterans, needed to be recalled. However, it looked like both fights were in the process of being lost, and there were no forces in the area with which to reverse the situation.

5_26_38_20%20Balkan%20Front%20Crumbles.jpg

By 26 May, the entire front was crumbling. The Penne Nere division was the first unit to shame itself and abandon its position, but soon the entire front would be a full fledged rout.

5_25_38_20%20Boljevac%20Lost.jpg

To the north two Bulgarian infantry divisions attacked the 9a Pasubio in Petovac while it was attempting its relief attack on Boljevac. The 9a Pasubio was not ready for this eventuality, and Gen. Aymonino was forced to call off the relief attack as the 9a Pasubio was hard pressed to defend itself, just like the 10a Piave.

Sea%20Battle%205_25_38.gif

At sea, it did appear that the French navy was taking steps to interfere with the invasion of the Peloponnese. At 0700 hours on 25 May a large French squadron, including the battleships Courbet and Paris, was intercepted by an Italian cruiser squadron off the Sicilian coast near Trapani heading east toward the Ionian Sea. The Italian cruiser fleet included the heavy cruisers Trento, Trieste and Pisa. It was an unfair fight and the lighter Italian capitals were taking a beating. However, Italo Balbo’s 1a Aerosiluranti Centauro based out of the Catania air field provided crucial air support and caused the French squadron to turn back. The only French ship to make it to the invasion fleet in the Eastern Ionian Sea during the landing was the lone light cruiser Primauguet. However, it was promptly sent to the bottom in the dark of night, and no survivors were ever located. Later, the fleet would also be attacked by a lone French heavy cruiser, the Tourville. It was scared away by the Regia Marina and later sunk by Balbo’s 1a Centauro in the Narrows. The invasion was free to proceed.

5_26_38_16%20Land%20Fall.jpg

Mussolini was heartbroken when he heard the news that on 26 May his beloved CCNN divisions in the Balkans were routed by the Greeks and Bulgarians. So, he was desperate for some good news. The Regio Esercito and the Regia Marina provided it. At 1600 hours on 26 May, the Italians had made landfall on the Peloponnese. Gen. Tessitore’s corps headquarters occupied the undefended Cephalonia, while Gen. Armellini’s 3a Divisione Coloniale Eritreo landed unopposed in Meligalas, as did Gen. Caracciolo’s 1a Divisione Coloniale Libica at Korinthos. The 3a Eritrean division was briefly attacked by a Greek infantry division moving out of Kalamata to block the invasion, but the Greeks called off their attack when the realized that Gen. Armellini’s Eritreans had already established themselves on land.

Raggruppamento.jpg

Raggruppamento Rombola's assault on the garrison at Patra was proceeding, but they still had not established a secure beachhead. Then at 2000 hours on 26 May, the 3a Eritrean division joined the fight from Meligalas, and the Greek garrison gave up their defensive positions and retreated inland towards Tripolis. Meanwhile the 26a Assietta’s landing in Nafplio had been held up up by irregular Greek militia moving into the Isthmus from Athens. However, the 1a Libica joined the attack over land from Korinthos to assist the 26a Assieta's amphibious assault, and the Greek militia in Nafplio gave way. Thus, the 26a Assieta was afforded an opportunity to establish its beachhead. The I Stratiotis Merarkhia in Athens tested the beachhead perimeter, but quickly called off the attack. Mussolini's CCNN might have been routed in Yugoslavia, but the Regio Esercito and the Regia Marina were now established on the northern half of the Peloponnese and had cut off the remainder of the Peninsula from the capital.

______________________________​

The United Kingdom had always had warm relations with the Greeks. They condescendingly fancied themselves the heirs to the Greeks’ ancient glories -- as can be evidenced by all the ancient Greek treasures looted by the English aristocracy to decorate their stately mansions. Be that as it may, the British might have been willing to watch Mussolini invade the relatively new and unestablished tribal hodgepodge of Yugoslavia, but the same was not the case for the cradle of Western civilization. When news of Italians sweeping across the Peloponnese and threatening Athens reached England, classics professors across the country led a public outcry demanding action. Chamberlain and Bevin still wanted to avoid intervention, but both agreed that an Italian military presence in Greece could threaten to unbalance the eastern Mediterranean and threaten the British positions in that area. So, Chamberlain himself traveled to Rome to meet with Il Duce and delivered his country’s ultimatum. Make peace with Greece, or it is war.

UK%20Ultimatum.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there, good to see that you're starting this again. I was an avid reader of your old attempt, and I'm very happy that you're picking up where you left off. In terms of strategy, would giving in just create a truce with the greeks, or would it force you back to status quo ante bellum overall?

Thanks to all you guys for reading.

How much time did you spent modding? :eek: It looks quite impressive.

Waaay too much time. Once I got into it, I spent more time modding than playing. You have to look at it like a hobby in itself. Sort of like building a model airplane. The finished product is kinda cool, but it is the building process that is all the fun.

Very happy to see this revived. I read and loved the first interation of this and was bummed it died but I can understand why. I actually played your mod and I got toward 1938 and the US had joined the allies who had declared war on every non allied or axis nation. Was interesting to play though but I stopped at 39. Eager to see the new mod in the new expansion. Good luck this time though in the Balkans.

That is really weird, but I don't think that is anything that I did. I have heard that is a problem generally with TFH in some games. If US feels threatened it goes berserk. These events should not cause that to happen, because Italy is not DOWing anyone but Yugo. Everyone is DOWing Italy. Maybe the allies were threatening to the US. There are some events in my mod to add war goal that can generate threat, but we have not seen them in my AAR's yet.

Glad your back. I was wanting to see the results of this major war.

French build up looks threatening.

It seems the French AI is a bit more risk adverse in TFH than they were in FtM, but we'll see how it plays out.
These things are huge time sinks (as you know), but the obsession continues. Hope to see your 1936 Italy v Allies war flare back up.

tommylotto - I downloaded your mod, a beautiful thing.
Why it isn't in "other mods and projects"

Thanks for checking it out. I guess I really can't believe I'm a real modder. I did it as my personal hobby for my own enjoyment, and I have freely borrowed from other mods without "permission" and I cannot even recall where everything came from. So, I'd have trouble giving credit where credit was due. Much came from ICE and Black Ice and common weapons. The oob changes were mostly me, with some assists from hpp. The counters were from ICE. The map counters I redesigned for a 3D look to the infantry X, etc. Some leader files for majors countries came from Black ICE, but the Italian leaders in Black ICE had made up Italian sounding names that were kinda nonsensical. So, I changed the names to the names of actual WWII Italian generals -- but with no effort to match traits or skill levels with their actual war performance. I also made the enhanced leader pools for the Balkan countries, Turkey, and Hungary.

Very good.
Might I ask how different from FtM is to do an amphibious landing in Albania? Are you still able to land INF or MIL without LCVs or you must research it at any cost?
Because I found that in FtM Vanilla was very easy to conquer the Balkans with a couple of strategic landing, and as you say that now the Balkans are a better enemy, they should be very useful to create entrapments.

As you can see from the next chapter it took almost two days to unload on undefended beaches. I shutter to think what would happen if I tried an invasion with a hostile RN around.

Hey there, good to see that you're starting this again. I was an avid reader of your old attempt, and I'm very happy that you're picking up where you left off. In terms of strategy, would giving in just create a truce with the greeks, or would it force you back to status quo ante bellum overall?

Good question. The British ultimatum only concerns the war with the Greeks.

Then i would be perfectly happy to see you accept that ultimatum. Your opponents would lose a significant portion of their forces (Greece has, what, 10 divisions?), and particularly your situation on the southern front would stabilize!

Also, given the way your luck went with the french, I feel it may not be wise to tempt fate right here. Starting WWII early would probably be unfortunate.

Last edited:
I'd succumb, to be honest. Even though (in-character, and maybe even through an event chain you set up) this shows weakness, it does remove two enemies (Greece and Britain) off your back. Leaving you with enough force to finish off the others.