• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedTemplar

Diagnosed Megacampaign Addict
90 Badges
Mar 10, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
The Envy of Kings

LatinCoa2_zps2l9rshym.png

An EU4 continuation of the CK2 Campaign
¡Santiago y cierra, España! -- HIP | Navarre AAR

Introduction
Pelaio de Zadorra was a child born into a blessed lineage -- his father ruled the Latin Empire from Constantinople, and his mother reigned over the Empire of Cordoba in Iberia. When they passed, both realms were united under Pelaio's rule. At the age of 17, Pelaio came to rule over an expansive Mediterranean Empire that included Greece, southern Italy, most of hte Iberian Peninsula, and large expanses of the North African coast. After his second coronation, Emperor de Zadorra remarked that his vast territory was "The envy of all the Kings of Europe," and swore that his Latin Empire would prove the truest successor to the legacy of Rome.

Prologue%20-%20Dynasty%20Lands_zpsscmcadgr.png

Lands controlled by the de Zadorra dynasty of the Latin Empire.

As the Medieval Era prepared to give way to the Age of Discovery, the Latin Empire was a realm with the potential for incredible dominance and great peril. With large portions of Iberia, Italy, and Greece under its control, and with sway over the great capital cities of Constantinople and Cordoba, the Latin Empire controlled immense territory, great armies, and vast wealth. Still, the realm was spread out into four different geographical regions with no land connections between them, and strong local governments that would have to be mastered in order to create a strong, integrated state. The de Zadorra Emperors had many challenges ahead of them, but they also held the potential to become the undisputed heirs to the Roman Empire.

Overview
This game is a continuation of my recently completed CK2 project, "¡Santiago y cierra, España!", which is linked in the title of this post. For those who did not follow it in the CK2 form, began in 1066 with Belasco de Zadorra, Count of Alava, and followed the path of his descendants from minor Navarrese Counts to the Basque Emperors of a multi-ethnic Empire of Cordoba that covered nearly 2/3 of the Iberian Peninsula and stretches of Africa. A successful crusade for Thessalonica resulted in a de Zadorra King being enthroned in Constantinople, who eventually crafted the Latin Empire and inherited Sicily into the realm. At the every end of the game, a marriage between those two branches of the family resulted in the combination of Cordoba and the Latin Empire into a Mediterranean behemoth, which we now find ourselves following in this project.

The game is EU4 1.19.2.0, with no mods except for the converted scenario from CK2, which I have made some mods to.

For the beginning of the game, I've chosen to place Cordoba and Sicily in a personal union with the Latin Empire, both to add a little challenge to my playthrough and to represent the fact that this is a decentralized and likely fragile empire that will require some serious work to bring together into a solid, cohesive mega-empire. I'm playing on Normal difficulty with a Random New World setup. I've also done a little bit of idea modding for the three counties of the Latin Empire in an attempt to give them some purposeful flavor.

My primary goal in this game is to attempt to tell a good story and roleplay to the character of the nation and leader traits whenever possible. Beyond that, uniting the separate kingdoms of the empire int one is a top goal, and I may even try for a Roman Empire restoration! Additionally, I will likely make some aggressive attempts at exploring and colonizing the new world, since an RNW setup offers the chance to do real exploration with unpredictable results. I will be writing this and sharing time with another upcoming CK2 project, so updates will often alternate between games... Variety helps keep me fresh!

Anyway, for those who have followed from the CK2 playthrough and for those who may jump on anew from the EU4 forum, welcome! I look forward to another awesome trip through AARland and having a good time writing and discussing with you guys. I'll leave you with a high-level snapshot of the map before I start writing some introductory posts... Let the journey begin!

High%20Overview_zpsrlue3jkp.png

Reactions:
Lovely! Count me in for the ride Red!

Subscribed!

Nice to see this up and running. The goals for the campaign sound good to me.

Subbed!

Subbed! Holding all those territories together is going to be a tedious task, good luck!

subbed! conquest of Rum's territories in Europe and integration of Croatia in order to restor the old Danube's lime is a priority for Constantinople to be safe!

Subsrcirbed of course. The Random New World will shake things up, for sure. It'll also preemptively prevent us from pressuring you to convert to Vic2 at the end, as the converter doesn't support it.

Subbed! Let the Zadorra phoenix rise!

Any reason you decided to play as the Latin Empire instead of Cordoba? It won't be quite the same ruling from Greece instead of Iberia. I suppose it does lend better to the successor of Rome theme.

Any reason you decided to play as the Latin Empire instead of Cordoba? It won't be quite the same ruling from Greece instead of Iberia. I suppose it does lend better to the successor of Rome theme.

Yes -- Pelaio inherited the Latin Empire from his father first, several years ahead of his mother's death... So his "main capital" if you will was in Constantinople first. Once he was already ruling from Constantinople, then he also became Emperor of Cordoba. It seemed to me to make sense that he would make his primary seat of power in Constantinople.

Reactions:
besides Constantinopla still has ties to Roman Empire and surely must be richer than Cordoba

The Theodosian Walls may also still be clinging on, even if they probably are in need of modernisation.

Prologue
LECoaSmall_zpsgp8sfltl.png

An Overview of the Latin Empire, Part 1: Greece

The City of Many Empires
The creation of the Latin Empire began with the end of the former Eastern Roman Empire. In 1085 AD, the Byzantine Empire, already struggling with the advances of the Sultanate of Rum and internal political power struggles, collapsed under the ruthless invasion of the Pechenegs, a large and dominant nomadic tribe under the leadership of Khagan Tzegul Suru-Kulbej.

Prologue%20-%20Empire%20of%20Vidin_zpsmfd0ib8q.png

After the victory, Tzegul settled and formed a short-lived tribal empire based in Vidin, with the former Byzantine Emperor Michael VII Doukas as his vassal in Constantinople. This empire, however, lasted only a few short decades as the Muslims of Rum set their sights on conquering the realm for themselves.

Prologue%20-%20Vidin%20Replaced%20by%20Rum_zpss2l0uqyy.png

By 1122 AD, the Sultanate had broken the Empire of Vidin apart, and inherited most of its former holdings. Rum was split between Anatolia and Greece, with a number of small Greek duchies in between. Eventually, Rum reached the apex of its medieval power when it finally captured Constantinople in 1245, deposing the last ruling member of the Doukas dynasty and establishing Islamic rule in the city. This was Rum's greatest victory of the Middle Ages, but it quickly drew the wrath of the Catholic Church, prompting Pope Benedict XIII to call a Crusade against the Sultanate in 1259.

155%20-%20Counterattack%20by%20Rum_zpsrhqw7ljh.png

The campaign was a short one that lasted only two years, but saw heavy fighting in Greece during its duration. While large armies of Crusaders fought to their west, an army led by the Basque Duke Gartzia II de Zadorra of Navarre landed from the sea and captured Constantinople, dealing one of the most instrumental blows that led to Sultan Karatay II's surrender in September of 1261.

Prologue%20-%20Kingdom%20of%20Thessalonica_zpsfzjzzle0.png

Karatay's surrender created the Catholic Kingdom of Thessalonica, which was gifted to Duke Gartzia for his contributions to the war. With his daughter poised to inherit the family realms in Iberia, Gartzia sent his eldest son, Suero, to become the first King of Thessalonica and created a separate overseas kingdom. For several years thereafter, Navarre and Thessalonica had strong ties, though the two branches of the family eventually grew distant.

Suero's successors continued to make war against the Sultanate of Rum by pressing northward into Bulgaria, and also began to subjugate the smaller Greek duchies scattered around the lower peninsula. As the realm expanded, Suero's grandson, Aznar, declared himself the successor of the Eastern Roman Empire and named himself the first Latin Emperor in 1305.

Later, the throne of the Latin Empire passed to the de Hauteville family, the Kings of Sicily, uniting the two realms into one and making the empire into a significant Mediterranean power. A few generations later, the de Zadorras regained control of the Imperial throne, and arranged for a marriage between the Iberian and Greek branches of the family. When Teresa of Cordoba and Ordono of the Latin Empire were wed, their son and heir became Pelaio, the first to rule the united dual empires.

Prologue%20-%20Greece%20and%20Anatolia_zpsnargkp73.png

In 1444, as the world stood on the edge of the Age of Discovery, the heart of the Latin Empire lay in its capital in Constantinople and the surrounding region, encompassing most of Greece and the western edge of Anatolia. Initially, friction had existed between the Greek locals and their Basque overlords, but the centuries following the liberation of Greece from Rum saw an increase in cultural harmony between the two. Constantinople, filled with Basque nobility and merchants who flooded the city following the Crusade, had Basque as its majority culture, and the rest of the country held to its Greek heritage -- save for a few provinces along the inner Mediterranean coast, which had a Neapolitan cultural majority.

Religiously, almost the entire population were professed Catholics -- Orthodoxy had been condemned and fallen out of common practice in much of the world after the Crusade. However, these Greek Catholics continued to practice their own Byzantine liturgical rites while claiming loyalty to the Pope of Rome, creating a branch of Eastern Catholicism that both appeased the Pope's desire for dominance and the local Greek population's value of their ecclesial traditions.

Prologue%20-%20Latin%20Empire%20Startup_zpsaktozrdd.png

The Imperial Army in 1444 numbered 51,000 men stationed across Greece, Africa, and Iberia, supported by a modest fleet of 25 warships and 28 transport ships. With an influential and powerful clergy, the Latin Empire also held sway over three of the Cardinals of the Roman Curia, more than any other Catholic nation. With Constantinople serving as a center of government, a fortified stronghold serving as a gateway to Anatolia, and a central hub of several trade routes, the Latin Empire had the potential for great wealth at its disposal, if its Emperors could build a strong and stable realm.

Emperor Pelaio the Twice-Crowned
Prologue%20-%20Emperor%20Pelaio_zpsm6hz4bzp.png

Pelaio I, Emperor of Constantinople, hailed from the de Zadorra dynasty of powerful Basque nobles whose origins are traced back to the County of Alava in 1066 AD. The de Zadorras eventually rose in stature, become the Kings of Andalusia by heredity and having several members of the family elected as Kings of Castile in the Late Middle Ages. The son of Latin Emperor Ordono de Zadorra and Cordoban Empress Teresa de Zadorra, Pelaio was the first of his family to rule over both empires at once, and the first to be faced with the challenge of integrating two very different and geographically distant realms.

Pelaio was very well educated in the ways of warfare, and considered a tactical genius by many of his peers and subordinates. Military-minded, Pelaio had strong ambitions of continuing his ancestors' tradition of pushing back the Sultans of Rum to expand his Christian realm, and many believed he had the military skill to do so. He also had an eye for trade, with the acumen of an entrepreneur keen to exploit the wealthy trade opportunities passing through Constantinople and Gibraltar. He was just 19 years old in 1444 and young in his reign, but Pelaio had great ambitions of expanding his realms.

Reactions:
Long Live Pelaio Imperator!

Reactions:
For those who are curious, the Latin Empire uses a combination of Greek & Byzantine ideas, with one (Mare Nostrum) swiped from Italian ideas. If I manage to successfully integrate the realm, I will likely modify the idea set to mix in some ideas from Iberia.

• Greek Catholic Faith (Greek idea, modded): +2 Tolerance of the True Faith, +2 Papal Influence
  • Maritime Heritage (Greek idea): +1 Navy Tradition
  • Start Administrative Reform (Byzantium idea): +10% National Tax Modifer
  • Mare Nostrum (Italian idea): -15% Galley Cost, +20% Galley Combat Ability
  • Control the Mediterranean Trade (Greek idea): +10% Trade Efficiency
  • The New Imperial Army (Byzantium idea): +5% Discipline
  • Greek Enlightenment (Greek idea): -10% Idea Cost

Reactions:
So the AI actually managed to make Constantinople Basque before the conversion? I'm glad that although this AAR's de Zadorra family will be no longer ruling from Iberia, at least they can stay true to their heritage.

Ah, Vidin... I had rooted for that to last as it was such an unique occurrence. In the end things worked out better for you, but Vidin will remain a fascinating footnote in the region's history.

Pelaio I is young enough to find success in his ambitions, but I've said that about a lot of your de Zadorras... Let's just hope his heir is old enough to succeed before anything bad happens.

A young and dynamic ruler gifted in military matters takes over a realm spanning most of the Mediterranean, what could indeed possibly go wrong?

Another thing I note is that Europe starts off very balanced, so many different developments across the continent could happen.

A young and dynamic ruler gifted in military matters takes over a realm spanning most of the Mediterranean, what could indeed possibly go wrong?

Another thing I note is that Europe starts off very balanced, so many different developments across the continent could happen.

Europe is in a pretty balanced place, which I like. France has mostly recovered from the Lombard Band takeover, there's an actual Holy Roman Empire unlike my last EU4 game, and there's enough regional powers in Eastern Europe like Hungary, Lithuania, and Pomerania to make things interesting there. And another giant Teutonic Order, which seems to always happen in my games lol